I’VE BEEN DRIVING ALL NIGHT, HANDS WET ON THE WHEEL

Let’s roll. We are one month away from the crazy, with an expansion draft, an entry draft, and a free-agent frenzy all on the schedule. The Oilers have specific needs, for next season and beyond. We have those needs surrounded and have discussed the possible assets out. We are working on informing ourselves about the draft. We’ll get there in time, as the days roll by.

This year, there are new questions, due to the expansion draft and the Oilers’ impressive season in 2017-18. We’ll get to the expansion draft, but let’s start by laying familiar ground work for offseason observation:

PETER CHIARELLI’S SUMMER LIST

We are going to separate the priorities for now, as two main items (contracts for Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl) are going to be part of July’s business. Since we are talking June events, I’m going to list only June priorities at this time.

1. Negotiate the expansion draft rapids without giving up a valuable piece of the future. (Iiro Pakarinen signing frees Letestu protection, leaves Jujhar Khaira likely exposed).
  2. Find a way to trade Benoit Pouliot off the roster.
  3. Find a second pairing D with two-way acumen.
  4. Find a bottom 6F who can help the offense.
  5. Find a way to cover off buried contracts.
  6. Make enough cap room to get everyone in under the number with enough room to spare for the trade deadline.

My preference would be to protect Jujhar Khaira. Although Edmonton has some young L options (Drake Caggiula, Anton Slepyshev) they aren’t similar to Khaira and Edmonton doesn’t have a lot behind Milan Lucic and Patrick Maroon. I know he doesn’t project as anything beyond 3L on the depth chart but he did post an encouraging season and the Oilers badly lack forward depth. I understand the move by Peter Chiarelli, but Edmonton is vulnerable here. Later today, I’ll have an item on the big long term item: Finding a shooter for 97.

POSSIBLE TRADE ASSETS

1. Jordan Eberle
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  3. Jesse Puljujarvi
  4. No. 22 overall
  5. Caleb Jones
  6. 2018 first-round selection
  7. Anton Slepyshev
  8. Jujhar Khaira

I would not want to trade Nuge and Puljujarvi, and trading Eberle is unwise based on the current depth chart. What does that mean? The general manager has to acquire two specific players of high calibre with nothing close to equal value. The most likely scenario has PC trading Eberle for a less expensive version of the same player (Strome has been mentioned) or pursuing similar via free agency with the money saved.

Kevin Shattenkirk. Photo by Sarah Connors, all rights reserved

DEFENSIVE TARGETS

1. RD Josh Manson, Anaheim Ducks. Rugged, effective defensively and young.
  2. RD Radko Gudas, Philadelphia Flyers. Effective, filthy.
  3. RD Travis Hamonic, NY Islanders. An ideal fit.
  4. RD Mark Pysyk, Florida Panthers. Performs very well in 5×5/60 SA.
  5. RD Kevin Shattenkirk FREE AGENT (80gp, 13-43-56). Too expensive.
  6. RD Alex Petrovic, Florida Panthers. Rugged D, good possession numbers.
  7. RD Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes. Attractive puck mover.
  8. RD Sami  Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks. Mobile D with chaos.
  9. RD Jason Demers, Florida Panthers. Veteran D could be available.
  10. LD Kris Russell FREE AGENT. Likely to return.
  11. RD Matt Dumba, Minnesota Wild. Power play option, chaos in his game.
  12. RD Cody Franson FREE AGENT. His fancy stats: Out of the blue and into the black.
  13. RD Chris Tanev, Vancouver Canucks. Shutdown D making  big $.
  14. LD Brian Campbell FREE AGENT (80gp, 5-12-17). The man can still wheel.
  15. LD Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins. Played over 23 minutes a game this past season.
  16. RD Michael Stone FREE AGENT (64gp, 3-12-15). Last chance Texaco.

Russell seems most likely to return, but I am hopeful Chiarelli aims higher. It’s also important to remember Andrej Sekera’s injury, so we are looking at two acquisitions this summer. You know what’s ironic? Edmonton’s established right side (Adam Larsson, Matt Benning) is stronger than Edmonton’s established left side (Oscar Klefbom, Darnell Nurse) with Sekera’s injury. The Leftorium is eroding! Plus I’m going to need to add some lefties to this list by the end of June.

FORWARD TARGETS

1. LC Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche. Please please please Baby Jesus.
  2. RC Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche. UFA 2023. Would cost the moon.
  3. R Patrick Eaves FREE AGENT (79gp, 32-19-51). Volume shooter!
  4. LC Martin Hanzal FREE AGENT (71gp, 20-19-39). Has to be high priority.
  5. RC Tyler Johnson, Tampa Bay Lightning. RFA 2017. 56 points per 82 games.
  6. L Evander Kane, Buffalo Sabres (70gp, 28-15-43). Buy low power forward.
  7. RC Mika Zibanejad, New York Rangers. Averages 46 points per 82gp.
  8. LC Vladimir Sobotka, St. Louis Blues. Signed to a nifty $3.5 million times two.
  9. R-L Thomas Vanek FREE AGENT (68gp, 17-31-48). Offensive option.
  10. R Justin Williams FREE AGENT (80gp, 24-24-48). Luxury.
  11. R T.J. Oshie FREE AGENT (68gp, 33-23-56).  Not affordable.
  12. L Ilya Kovalchuk, New Jersey. Splendid KHL season, he’s coming back.
  13. C-R Ryan Strome, NY Islanders (69gp, 13-17-30). Rumors.
  14. R Radim Vrbata FREE AGENT (81gp, 20-35-55). Scorer.
  15. LC Nick Bonino FREE AGENT (80gp, 18-19-37). Two-way C.
  16. R Brett Ritchie, Dallas Stars (78gp, 16-8-24). Shoots the puck a lot.
  17. R Jaromir Jagr FREE AGENT (82gp, 16-30-46). Now 70, still going.
  18. R Sam Gagner FREE AGENT (81gp, 18-32-50). PP savant.
  19. R Kris Versteeg FREE AGENT (69gp, 15-22-37). What he brings has value.
  20. R Ales Hemsky FREE AGENT (15gp, 4-3-7). Still brilliantly creative.
  21. RC Derek Ryan FREE AGENT (67gp, 11-18-29). Fine utility player.
  22. LC Dominic Moore FREE AGENT (82gp, 11-14-25). PK and FO option.
  23. R Drew Stafford FREE AGENT (58gp, 8-13-21). Chiarelli type.
  24. LC Brian Boyle FREE AGENT (75gp, 13-12-25). He is on their list.
  25. R Brett Connolly FREE AGENT (66gp, 15-8-23). Inexpensive scoring on RW.
  26. R Jarome Iginla FREE AGENT (80gp, 14-13-27). He can still shoot the puck.
  27. L Patrick Sharp FREE AGENT. Depending on health and price.

I think we could see a center (Hanzal?) and a winger added from this list, depending on how much truth there is to the following item.

Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved

SIX DEGREES OF JORDAN EBERLE

David Staples posted an item at the EJ yesterday in regard to Drew Remenda’s take on Jordan Eberle. Mr. Remenda was on with Bob Stauffer and took some big swings on the subject. This falls within my 24-hour rule (I don’t grab quotes from articles that are still getting clicks) but it’s a very good read on the situation and imo Staples nailed it.

If (as David concluded) the Remenda opinion is in lock step with the coach, then trading Eberle is extremely likely. Putting this story with another one, perhaps we see a trade with the NY Islanders with Ryan Strome coming the other way. This should not be considered progress, and I’m not sure it even means you can use Leon Draisaitl at RW full time (Strome only took 350 faceoffs a year ago and was under 43 percent) so I’d think the idea might be to aim higher.

I like the idea of grabbing  defenseman out of Florida (my list now has three Panthers) and then signing a veteran RW in front of the kids and Kassian right side. Keeping Eberle would also have been a good option.

KYLE DUBAS

Elliotte Friedman had the news last night, Colorado has asked permission to talk to Dubas and Toronto won’t stand in their way. I have watched with great hope the career of Dubas in Toronto and there are some fine things he has managed to do in his time there. The Leafs 2015 entry draft seemed to be heavily driven by advanced analytics and most of the picks (Mitch Marner, Travis Dermott, Jeremy Bracco, Andrew Nielsen, Jesper Lindgren, Dmytro Timashov, Stephen Desrocher, Nikita Korostelev) are trending in a good way two years on.

The problem with measuring the success of these hires is that it is impossible. When the Oilers hired Dellow (August 2014) I did my best to suss out the moves he might have been involved in. My guesses (Andrej Sekera is the one I would bet money on) were few and my frustrations many (no way on God’s earth Dellow recommended the Petry trade nor the Reinhart deal, and those two transactions occurred within 120 days of each other) so it’s small victories in terms of being able to read success.

Dubas could change all of that, if he gets the general manager’s job. I hope he gets it, that will give us a chance to see what the new generation of hockey thinkers can do, once and for all. I hope he hires Dellow, that would be a solid move.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning and a fun one, TSN1260 beginning at 10. Scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. Should the Oilers go with Kris Russell or aim higher? Plus how to replace Sekera until he is back.
  • Guy Flaming, The Pipeline Show. Ethan Bear and Aapeli Rasanen see their seasons end on the same night. We’ll talk Memorial Cup and the draft.
  • Simon Boisvert, Prospect Insider. If the Oilers do trade Jordan Eberle, is there an internal solution (beyond Leon Draisaitl)? We’ll also talk Oilers expansion list.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

112 Responses to "I’VE BEEN DRIVING ALL NIGHT, HANDS WET ON THE WHEEL"

1. Stud Muffin says:

Can we add Kovalchuk to the list? 😉

Stud Muffin:
    Can we add Kovalchuk to the list? 😉

I think he is going to be too much in asset cost and in cap. But I did add him, for you. 🙂

3. Jethro Tull says:

Can you ask Darcy to come back?

4. DBO says:

LT I think the issue with Khaira may be ease to replace. By that I mean that you draft and develop and ideally keep top 6 forwards. However, if you are a winning team (and we seem to be trending that way) you can more easily replace a bottom 6 player with limited offense with a veteran version that brings the same thing but calms the waters and helps today. If we are in win now mode (and I hope we are), then losing Khaira is less of an issue since he can be replaced with a veteran on a 1 year deal making a run at the cup.

Jethro Tull:
    Can you ask Darcy to come back?

DBO:

7. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: No. One of the things about this blog that I hold dear: People are free to go and come as they please. Rare exceptions to the rule, and Darcy is having a blast on twitter (you can follow him there).

Sorry to offend. Don’t have the twitters. Oh well.

8. DBO says:

With the Rangers falling out again, would they be ripe for a deal? But what would we have to take back? Would that be you can have Zibanejad but you have to take Girardi for Eberle and Jones/lesser prospect. Too much? Kills our cap? Could you do an Eberle and Pouliot plus Jones for Zibanejad, Girardi and a pick? Makes the money work, but does it make us better or worse?

just throwing ideas out there. After the playoffs, teams who are disappointed are more apt to make moves. Do you move now or do you wait post expansion draft? Seems like we will have a trade deadline before the draft, before the expansion draft, and before free agency. Will be the craziest and most awesome June in a decade when it comes to deals.

9. pells says:

If we could get either of Demers, Petrovic or Pysyk for Eberle it would be a win. But then would we protect him? Who would be left exposed? What do these guys have for contracts? What is Florida’s cap situation? Can they afford to add payroll? Especially an overpaid winger.

10. DBO says:

agreed, but if they do see next year as a win at all costs before the monster deal McDavid gets, then t makes sense to keep the valuable Letestu. He brings so much, and is a value deal for what he does.

11. Ducey says:

Can’t agree on Kharia over Letestu.

Kharia’s numbers:

Draft +1 Michigan 37 6 19 25
    Draft +2 59 16 27 43 WHL
    Draft +3 51 4 6 10 AHL
    Draft +4 49 10 27 37 AHL/ 15 0 2 2 NHL
    Draft +5 (last yr) 27 8 12 20 AHL/ 10 1 0 1 NHL

He is a bottom 6 winger who has not even reached a point a game in the AHL. Likely a AAAA/ depth guy. I like him plenty, but to keep him over Letestu would be a curious move. If Kharia is lucky, he might top out as Letestu.

Letestu went 78 16 19 35 last year. He is the team’s best faceoff guy, can PK, help on the PP, is great in shootouts. He only makes $1.8 million. If you want to take a run at the Cup next year, you need him as part of the C depth.

12. LMHF#1 says:

Add Williams-Hemsky-Boyle, and a blockbuster for Rasmus of Buffalo.

That would be about as good as it gets for me.

Veterans around McDavid. Playoff tested players who still have much to give. Plus your top 4 D is now set and stupid-good.

Talking to Vegas and being inventive is also a must. There may be a big opportunity to grab some players that wouldn’t otherwise be available.

13. Woogie63 says:

I was very disappointed in David’s article on Jordan.

Where are the editors for EJ? An establish reporter writing a story based on hearing a subjective opinion interview on the radio and then adding his subjectivity, yikes. I like David, his Podcast and articles in EJ are good, but yesterday’s reporting was not his finest hour imo.

Ryan and David are on the same trade Jordan hunt. Will Jordan join the Poti/Gilbert/Arnott/Ganger/Souray/Petry/Shultz/Yak club?

14. LMHF#1 says:

Lowetide: I think Khaira’s most recent season is worth exploring. He delivered solid offense, maybe there’s enough there to fill a top 9 role. That said, I understand why the team would protect Mark Letestu. Thing is, he’s one year from free agency.

15. jimmers2 says:

Agreed. I go to Woodguy’s twitter page to see what he has to say. But I hope that he knows that his voice is missed round these parts.

16. Stud Muffin says:

Stud Muffin:
    Can we add Kovalchuk to the list? 😉

17. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Demers was a prized free agent and his contract that he eventually sigened last summer was deemed to be in the value to extreme value territory.

He’s rumoured to be available less than a year later..

I know there are other factors in play (expansion draft, a need for a different fit in Florida, etc) but to me that means I approach the acquisition with caution. Not saying I wouldn’t do it, but I’d make sure I understand what I’m getting first.

18. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

LMHF#1,

Buffalo would ask for Klefbom in return for Rasmus. I don’t see anyone else getting it done.

No thanks.

19. Bag of Pucks says:

Thanks for embedding ‘Radar Love’ in my cranium this morning LT. That’s not going to be easy to dislodge!

20. jm363561 says:

jimmers2: Agreed.I go to Woodguy’s twitter page to see what he has to say.But I hope that he knows that his voice is missed round these parts.

Yep.

21. Bag of Pucks says:

Dubas is certainly a rising star, but as mentioned, very difficult to sift out his draft input vs the input from Mark Hunter, Lou, Brendan, etc.

Will definitely need to see what he accomplishes on his own before I can attribute too much of the Leafs’ recent success to analytics. Btw, Babcock, Hunter, Lou and Brendan, they still have a lot of old school hockey expertise in the conversation.

22. Shane says:

I haven’t been lurking much since we were eliminated. Did something happen?

23. Doug McLachlan says:

Stud Muffin: The price I agree is going to be tricky to pinpoint but New Jersey won’t have any leverage whatsoever after Kovalchuk decides which team he wants to play for, I’d think Eberle would get it done, and I would take Kovalchuk over Strome. But there’s no way to know whether either party is interested in one another.

Eberle for Kovalchuk (signed to a pre-approved deal) and a pick (let’s say Boston’s 2nd).

Turn around and deal Kovalchuk (with his nice new contract) to the Islanders for Hamonic and Strome.

24. Professor Q says:

Question:

Who is Texaco and why are they used synonymously with final chances?

25. Professor Q says:

Doug McLachlan: Apparently Kovalchuk wants to stay in NYC area but, not surprisingly, the Devils don’t want to deal Kovalchuk to the Rangers or Islanders.

New Jersey might make such a trade contingent on him not being traded back to NY.

Or, perhaps, he won’t be able to be traded again so soon anyway. Less than a year?

26. vinotintazo says:

Ducey:
    Can’t agree on Kharia over Letestu.

Kharia’s numbers:

Draft +1 Michigan 37 6 19 25
    Draft +2 59 16 27 43 WHL
    Draft +3 51 4 6 10 AHL
    Draft +4 49 10 27 37 AHL/ 15 0 2 2 NHL
    Draft +5 (last yr) 27 8 12 20 AHL/ 10 1 0 1 NHL

this all day.

27. Dominoiler says:

I wouldn’t be upset if eberle suits up for the oil drop next season, but i would also understand him being shipped out despite low value.. ‘we all said’ going into playoffs that we’d see his (and nuges) value on that stage, and ‘we all know’ the results were underwhelming.. is keeping eberle effectively burning another year of McD and the pursuit of SC glory?!.. how many goals did shleppy have in the playoffs?.. more than none..

28. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! Figured it was a good time to repost my ripped-off Hunter poll idea “ArmChair GM Prognosticator 2017”

– I will accept deadlines right up to the Vegas Draft. Last year Leadfarmer was closest (and really we all were so far off what Chia did) Winner gets a paypal donation to LT from me, and respect:

1) Which Oil player will Vegas select?:
    2) Who is our first pick in the Entry Draft?
    3) Does Ebs get moved? (bonus if you pick for who)
    4) Does RNH get moved (bonus if you pick for who)
    5) Who is our back-up G on game 1?
    6) Total $ amount/years for Russell (0 is an answer)
    7) Total $ amount/years of McDavid’s contract?
    8) Total $ amount/years of Drai’s contract?
    9) Which 2 D dress with Larsson/Klef/Nurse/Benning on game 1?
    10) Biggest off-season F acquired? (based on their salary in 2017):
    11) Is Jessie playing game 1?
    12) How many roster trades does Chia make?

– Please send back in the following format (so I can cut and paste easy):

29. Professor Q says:

Dominoiler,

It was their first attempt. There have been more than a few Playoff Stars who have gone missing during their first attempt.

And thinking that Eberle is “burning” a McDavid year is simply silly, in my opinion.

People are in too much of a rush. There isn’t this mythical 3-year window that is the be-all-end-all.

We trade McDavid if he doesn’t get it done next year?

30. rickithebear says:

Ducey:

You might want to break down Khaira’s Game by Game AHL linemates and the results specifically at even.

Keep record of the fringe NHL or better player results at even.

It might be educational fro you.

Cause your blanket statement clearly shows you did not do that!

IE: WTF are talking about!

31. Pouzar says:

LMHF#1: He also faded in terms of the penalty kill and isn’t valuable 5-on-5.

I agree unless someone can convince he is a good penalty killer which he wasn’t for a long stretch this year.

32. jtblack says:

LMHF#1,

I agree with this sentiment as well … If you take away Letestu’s PP production, he’s a 5 Goal Scorer .. I think JP or an FA signing will replace Letestu on PP #1 and should .. He’s also 32, slow and smaller ..

Khaira is 22, big and skates well … I think if he’s given consistent 3L – 4L ice time, he can more effective than Letestu at 5×5 … I think Letestu’s PK and PP can be covered off by others …

Letestu is a Right shot and good on faceoffs, so that will have to be addressed by PC in FA …

If Letestu stays, he doesn’t hurt you, but he blocks the development of someone younger. He also just had a career year, and I would bet he regresses next year ..

33. jtblack says:

LC Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche. Please please please Baby Jesus.

At $6 Million for 2 more years, considering our need for a puck moving RHD, and the looming McD contract, how come you want this player so bad? and are you only wanting this player if both Ebs and RNH are gone (for Cap reasons)?

34. Ducey says:

rickithebear:
    Ducey:

Keep record of the fringe NHL or better player results at even.

It might be educational fro you.

Cause your blanket statement clearly shows you did not do that!

IE: WTF are talking about!

Hey Ricki. Not sure what you are saying. Maybe you are saying Kharia didn’t get PP minutes or great line mates. Great.

It does not change the fact he won’t get PP time or great linemates in the NHL. He is at best 4th line LW on the Oilers after Maroon, Lucic and Caggiula.

Know where you can find a 4th line LW? Yeah, they are the easiest player to find in the NHL.

Know where you can find a 35 pt RH 4C that can move to 3C, help on the PP/ the PK, lead the team in shootout goals, be a great faceoff guy, and move around your lineup as needed – all for $1.8 million?

Apparently Oilers fans would rather have a potential NHL player rather than an actual NHL player. Or maybe they forgot the years of searching around for a 3C/4C where we had the likes of Eric Belanger, Derek Roy, or even the great Jerred Smithson.

35. dustrock says:

jtblack:
    LC Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche. Please please please Baby Jesus.

At $6 Million for 2 more years, considering our need for a puck moving RHD, and the looming McD contract, how come you want this player so bad?and are you only wanting this player if both Ebs and RNH are gone (for Cap reasons)?

Yes it would have to be at the least one of them gone, likely both.

36. russ99 says:

IMO, if Russell is back, which most suspect, I see him playing on his better left side, with Benning moving up to the second pair, given our other D acquisition is a Larsson/Sekera/Russell level of being stout in our defensive zone.

With McDavid and Draisaitl’s numbers going into effect, at some point the cap has to give.

Would we rather move Eberle and/or (more likely and) RNH now when there’s some leverage and the expansion draft player shuffle, or at the deadline/next summer when everyone knows we’ll be over the cap next September and have to get rid of them?

37. VOR says:

I think I have been clear that I wouldn’t trade Jordan Eberle. But if I was going to trade him then I would want to maximize his value. That means trading him for draft picks and prospects, then using the freed up money to sign short term veteran help. In this way you help the Oilers to win now and you make them better in the long term.

I identified one target for such a trade in an earlier thread. I suggested trading Eberle for Arizona’s 2nd round pick and Christian Fischer. Now I would add trading Eberle for Carolina’s 2nd round pick the Hurricaines got form the Rangers, the 2nd round pick Carolina got from Pittsburgh, and Roland McKeown. McKeown has struggled this year adapting to the AHL but he has amazing wheels. There is no place on Carolina’s D even if he does eventually figure it out.

Now let’s say the Oilers use the resulting cap space to sign Vanek and Hanzel. The trade becomes Eberle for 2 late 2nd round picks, a RD prospect and cap room to sign real veteran help for McDavid in the win now quest. It is easy to see why the Oilers would do it.

Why would Carolina do it? One reason is they need to score more goals. Carolina is almost a good team, they just need more firepower to complement their young D and centers. But they have trouble signing free agents so how are they going to convince that young D corps to sign long term? They will have to trade for goals with someone. Why not the Oilers?

Can anyone come up with other similar trades? Eberle for prospects, draft picks, or both? How would you spend the money?

38. jtblack says:

Ducey,

Both players have different value. and I think your assessment of Letestu is correct. But the one factor you have disregarded is age of each player. Letestu most likely has one more effective year left with the Oilers. Khaira most likely can be effective (not as effective as Letestu) for 3 – 5 years.

Either way the Oilers are most likely searching for a replacement for Letestu as early as fall 2018.

If we keep both these players, and lose Reinhart, I am ok with that … as I think both can be more effective for a win now season, than Reinhart …

39. --hudson-- says:

When’s the last time Oilers didn’t have a whipping boy?

Is this the media looking for clicks or do the Oilers ask the media to fan the flames?

40. Thinker says:

This isn’t really related, but is something I’ve been thinking about for awhile. I think the CHL plays way too many games. The kids don’t seem to be that strong at 18 in comparison to what a lot of kids I grew up with were.

The combine results for my HS football team have many kids above the highest levels of bench, broad, etc. Obviously not testing VO2 and some of the others so it’s not a perfect comparison. With not much training I was benching 225 for 6, and I am not that big (5’11, 175). There were 15 kids on the team who did 225 for at least 1. The NHL combine does 80% of body weight, which is 160lbs for a 200 lb kid. Highest score was 16. That is not very good at all, even for a teenager.

The pro shuttle isn’t bad, which is more of a natural ability type test. Highest was 15 pull-ups, with 11 getting you on the board. That seems pretty low too. I think it is 10 to get into the military. Broad jump was 111 to get you on the board, and 120 wins it. This exercise draws on squats and plyo exercises, but also a lot of natural abitlity. I would say that that is not that far out of place.

It seems to me that the exercises that rely primarily on weight training sag. I also have a lot of friends who went on to play football with the UofA, Huskies, and WildCats, so I have a rough idea of what the strength level of 18 year olds around the city is, and it seems better than someone who is possibly turning pro in the fall.

I also have a friend who played in the CHL. I worked out with him while he was with SSAC, and he was way stronger than everyone his age because he had been lifting as part of their program. After the CHL, I was stronger than him in almost every way. Again, I’m not massive, and I probably didn’t even workout more than 1-2 times a week.

I think that the CHL has to follow more of an AHL type of schedule, with games only on weekends. That gives the kids Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to weight train. t also lets them be more normal students.

The CHL plays basically like a pro league in most ways from the draft to the schedule, and it’s pretty ridiculous. IMO the draft age should be moved up, and the CHL schedule should be relaxed. There are a lot of late bloomers who won’t get drafted to the CHL, and most won’t go on. I don’t think it’s fair to be drafting 14yo kids, many of whom haven’t hit puberty, or have hit it hard and are all gangly. No other pro-league develops kids like this. The NBA drafts the rare HS kid, but mostly they are all 22 year olds with a degree. As a result, they get stronger, more developed players, who are often close to stepping in. They also have a degree for after sports.

41. Thinker says:

jtblack:
    Ducey,

Both players have different value.and I think your assessment of Letestu is correct. But the one factor you have disregarded is age of each player.Letestu most likely has one more effective year left with the Oilers.Khaira most likely can be effective (not as effective as Letestu) for 3 – 5 years.

If we keep both these players, and lose Reinhart, I am ok with that … as I think both can be more effective for a win now season,than Reinhart …

We are way too high on Khaira, ditto pitlick, caggiula, and slepyshev. They have all proven very little, and I can almost guarantee one of them falls out of the NHL next year, and that 2 or less will play 200 games.

42. Scungilli Slushy says:

Ristolainen is very talented, but his chances for were 43.8% this year, first pairing. He got 45 pts. He is being played above his level, so even with a solid partner to shelter him he’s second pair at best on a good team, 5.4M with years left.

I liked him a lot in his draft year but it’s not clear if he’s turning into Doughty or Shattenkirk at this point. To me the Oilers need less chaos, I think he would be like a slightly heavier version of Schultz which isn’t for me.

43. Greg says:

jtblack:
    LC Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche. Please please please Baby Jesus.

To add further to this LT you appear to value Duchene more than McKinnon, I’m not that familiar with either but was always under the impression that Mackinnon was the better player.

Is your ranking here due to perceived availability or is Duchene seen as more valuable? Just going off stats neither looks to be that much of a step up from Eberle himself.

I think if Eberle were an Islander we’d be taking about trying to acquire him on a down year.

44. jtblack says:

Thinker,

Great Points! This is why many more kids are choosing the NCAA route … far better for their physical AND emotional development …

As you mentioned, the CHL is now run like a pro league. They will NEVER reduce the amount of games. already more than 50% of the teams hardly make a profit or lose money …

If you talk to most hockey people, they suggest unless a kid is an absolute blue chipper, they should play NCAA.

Also, on the draft age. I agree as well. In the NFL, when guys are drafted they are expected to step in the following year. In the NHL only about 3 – 5 kids play coming out of their draft year. The majority are not even close to mature or ready enough until 21 – 23 ish … even raising the draft year by 1 would make a big difference. I am not sure why the NHL and CHL have not done this? I heard it has to due with Labor laws? you can’t keep an 18 year old from earning a living??

cheers,

45. LMHF#1 says:

Scungilli Slushy:

I understand that but am chalking it up to team and being 22.

The guy is a beast. And a right-handed beast at that. If there’s a chance to acquire him, it might be now and you have to explore that.

46. LMHF#1 says:

jtblack:

If Letestu stays, he doesn’t hurt you, but he blocks the development of someone younger.He also just had a career year, and I would bet he regresses next year ..

Yep. I take nothing away from what he did this year as it was impressive – but you can’t count on it.

47. Scungilli Slushy says:

Eberle is a useful consistent scoring RW. However any player coming off a weak season at a high salary, that also gets skunked in the playoffs after years in the desert is going to face criticism on any team, from any fan base.

Eberle is a professional athlete, it comes with the territory. I am no fan of personal attacks and character assassination, but his year is what it is and he has to wear it. He’ll be better for it next season wherever he is. Really, what he and the other Austins needed was a fire lit under them to take the next step, train harder and come to the rink prepared every day. It’s a really hard gig being a top player. Fire lit.

48. Scungilli Slushy says:

LMHF#1: I understand that but am chalking it up to team and being 22.

I think you could be right. Players like him get moved more than solid two way types, when the management changes and chalks up losing to ‘soft’ or team’s get tired of the chaos.

49. OilersFuture says:

Dubas would be a great hiring by the Av’s he’s an analytics guy but he’s a hockey guy first. It’s a little different than the John Chayka hiring. I would not be surprised if Dubas leaves that they try and hire Keefe as well.

Eberle for Strome makes a certain amount of sense. From a roster management/cap management perspective.

I also wonder if Vegas could be a landing spot for Eberle. The Oiler’s could use a top 4 defense & a third line center or a 2nd round pick and those are assets that Vegas could part with. What Vegas will need are top six players. There isn’t going to be alot of options for them in the expansion draft.

So I would think someone along the lines of Colin Miller/Pysyk/De Haan/Methot/Brodin + another asset for Jordan Eberle. The Oilers could make a deal similar to this and instead of another asset, make an agreement that Vegas takes a player like Musil or Samuelsson in the expansion draft. So you are protecting Reinhart & Khaira. Vegas could use Eberle for a year or two and then trade him for a 1st round pick if they retain money on his salary.

50. N64 says:

Professor Q:
    Question:

Who is Texaco and why are they used synonymously with final chances?

Your last chance
    To trust the man with the star

Rickie Lee Jones

51. Thinker says:

The Strome move is like the Reinhart move IMO. Good idea trade-wise, but wrong player identified.

52. Thinker says:

jtblack:
    Thinker,

Great Points!This is why many more kids are choosing the NCAA route … far better for their physical AND emotional development …

Also, on the draft age. I agree as well.In the NFL, when guys are drafted they are expected to step in the following year.In the NHL only about 3 – 5 kids play coming out of their draft year.The majority are not even close to mature or ready enough until 21 – 23 ish … even raising the draft year by 1 would make a big difference. I am not sure why the NHL and CHL have not done this?I heard it has to due with Labor laws? you can’t keep an 18 year old from earning a living??

cheers,

53. John Chambers says:

VOR,

Great trade ideas.

I also think Carolina is the target. My ideal trade scenario involves Eberle for Brett Pesce, but he may be batting too high up the lineup for the Canes to move him.

Keeping Eberle for at least a half season in hopes of him re-establishing value, while ensuring JP is ready to play a top-6 role may also be wise.

54. Cassandra says:

The problem for the Oilers is they are good but not great, and there is no clear path to get better.

How much better do you expect McDavid to be? Or Draisatl? or Talbot? Or Klefbom and Larsson? Do you expect Maroon to score more than he just did?

None of these players can be reasonably expected to play better. They can be reasonably expected to be less healthy? Sekera is already out.

Is the powerplay going to be better?

Eberle and RNH could be better, but one or both seem on the way out.

So internal improvement rests on guys like Puljujarvi, Nurse, Benning, and Caggiula. Are they going to improve enough to be a Stanley Cup favourite?

Can you get better with UFA’s?

This team is not in as good of shape as it appears. It is why the numbers being thrown around for Draisatl and McDavid next contract seem so ridiculous. In every other sport a longer contract means a smaller annual salary, and yet the Oilers are supposed to give Draisatl 8 x 7.5 M. Is Draisatl actually as good as Tarasenko? You can’t put a price on McDavid, but this is his RFA deal, not his UFA deal. There has to be some kind of RFA discount.

The playoff run was fun, but it might have been the high water mark. This team desperately needs these two deals to be good, and they need to get a steal of a player in trade or in the draft. This team isn’t good enough to just plug holes while new ones are springing up.

55. rickithebear says:

Lets look at the constant PvP wingers since 13-14:
    there are really 22 wingers in that period of time that play PvP
    9 Have 95G and 70 EVG intha time.
    Pavelski

Pacioretty
    Kessell
    Oshie
    Benn
    Eberle
    Wheeler

6 Have generated 20G 47 points 4 seasons in a row subtract Oshie.
    Pavelski
    Pacioretty
    Kessell
    Benn
    Eberle
    Wheeler

of these 4 have 20G/16EVG 4 sesons in a row.

So PvP wingers who genrerated 20G/16EVG/47P 4 seasons in a row
    with totals above 95G/70EVG/220P
    in order of cap hit.
    Pavelski 6M
    Eberle 6M
    Wheeler 5.6M
    Pacioretty 4.5M

Can someone please tell me who is going to replace this consistent PvP production.

56. Melman says:

I’m curious Ricki b/c I’m not sure if you’ve waded in on the Eberle debate whether you would keep him or look to deal?

57. Ducey says:

Thinker: I’m fine with them making or not making profit, and paying kids whatever they agree to, but the CHL itself is stupid. There is no real reason that there needs to be a professional hockey league for teenagers. That’s why I kinda hope they win that legal case so the development of kids will be restructured.

If there was no CHL, there would still be the AJHL, USHL, Europe, the KHL, etc. All of those are for profit leagues. They likely would just expand.

Maybe more kids would go to the NCAA (to the states) which itself is one of the most corrupt, profit based entities out there. More kids being forced to go to college likely results in more kids with a “degree” but little education.

Right now people have the ability to do what they want. As with most things, people maybe don’t exercise their freedom wisely, but its better than having fewer options.

58. Gollum says:

Cassandra:

None of these players can be reasonably expected to play better.They can be reasonably expected to be less healthy?Sekera is already out.

Is the powerplay going to be better?

Eberle and RNH could be better, but one or both seem on the way out.

Can you get better with UFA’s?

This team is not in as good of shape as it appears.It is why the numbers being thrown around for Draisatl and McDavid next contract seem so ridiculous.In every other sport a longer contract means a smaller annual salary, and yet the Oilers are supposed to give Draisatl 8 x 7.5 M.Is Draisatl actually as good as Tarasenko?You can’t put a price on McDavid, but this is his RFA deal, not his UFA deal.There has to be some kind of RFA discount.

The playoff run was fun, but it might have been the high water mark.This team desperately needs these two deals to be good, and they need to get a steal of a player in trade or in the draft.This team isn’t good enough to just plug holes while new ones are springing up.

This could be so true. When can we expect another season with so few important man-days lost to injury?

59. Ducey says:

rickithebear:

I thought you said it would be Khaira 🙂

——

I agree. People are way too eager to dump Eberle. I don’t see them needing the cap space this year, so keep him unless a great deal is out there. Certainly the next season is different with more cap worries, but no need to get ahead of ourselves.

If the plan is to play Leon more at C, Eberle could very well work out well as his RW. They only played 25 min together 5 on 5 last year, but were good (CF% 56.1).

You trade him and everyone will start bitching about the lack of RW scoring/ depth.

60. Dustylegnd says:

Oilers now featured an interview with Todd McLellan, Coach is telling a very very different story re: practice habits, value of the player to the team etc,

Listening to Oilers now for the past 2 weeks, specifically Stauffer’s comments, I do not believe Eberle is going anywhere via trade, somebody is getting moved but not the player everybody thinks is the obvious one.

Will be interesting to see if Chia takes another deep breath and engineers another massive deal involving one of RNH/Puljujärvi/Kleff/Nurse….my bet is RNH and Puljujärvi are most likely to be used as bait to fill in holes

Sounds like Eberle is not going anywhere after listening to McLellan

61. adamjames says:

Cassandra:

Is the powerplay going to be better?

Eberle and RNH could be better, but one or both seem on the way out.

Can you get better with UFA’s?

I understand the premise, but I don’t totally agree. They don’t necessarily need Klefbom, McDavid, Talbot etc etc to be better. Someone who can play a regular shift in the top 9 and win faceoffs consistently, while adding a RHD should help. Not to mention regression to the meat for Eberle, Lucic and RNH (or whoever remains) goes a long way to helping the cause.

I don’t think its going to be cheap or exactly easy to achieve, but the heavy lifting is done. Improving on existing depth is easier than aquiring the depth.

62. JDI says:

Dustylegnd: Have to wonder if Remenda spoke out of turn just as efforts to trade Eberle are progressing

Don’t have to wonder if any pro scout or GM would listen to Remenda.

63. blainer says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – Great post LT!Figured it was a good time to repost my ripped-off Hunter poll idea “ArmChair GM Prognosticator 2017”

– I will accept deadlines right up to the Vegas Draft.Last year Leadfarmer was closest (and really we all were so far off what Chia did)Winner gets a paypal donation to LT from me, and respect:

1) Which Oil player will Vegas select?:
    2) Who is our first pick in the Entry Draft?
    3) Does Ebs get moved? (bonus if you pick for who)
    4) Does RNH get moved (bonus if you pick for who)
    5) Who is our back-up G on game 1?
    6) Total $ amount/years for Russell (0 is an answer)
    7) Total $ amount/years of McDavid’s contract?
    8) Total $ amount/years of Drai’s contract?
    9) Which 2 D dress with Larsson/Klef/Nurse/Benning on game 1?
    10) Biggest off-season F acquired? (based on their salary in 2017):
    11) Is Jessie playing game 1?
    12) How many roster trades does Chia make?

– Please send back in the following format (so I can cut and paste easy):

9. Russell and Hamonic
    10. Hanzal
    11. No
    12. Two

64. Stanley says:

Shane,

Someone disagreed with him, he threw a temper tantrum and left the site.

65. Scungilli Slushy says:

I doubt there are many teams in the league that consider themselves in a better position heading into the next ten years than the Oilers are right now.

The best thing that can happen to a team is acquiring a generational player. It’s happened again to Edmonton. They also have a group of very talented young players both forward and defense.

This is the hardest part or impossible part of building a strong team. LT mentions the importance of building the prospect pool and that in needed to support these existing core players with inexpensive guys that can play. It’s for cap management.

Filling a couple of secondary roles and getting prospects is the easiest part of building. Every team has to manage the cap while paying their core players, the only worry I have is that Chiarelli doesn’t do that well enough or won’t jettison bad contracts should they turn out so, such as possibly Lucic in a year or two.

Another highly important part of success is coaching. The teams that are deep now are getting good work out of all types of players and playing their systems well. I believe McLellan can do that and is a big part of the turnaround this season.

66. jtblack says:

Cassandra,

There is a lot of info in here .. and a lot of assumptions … so here are some questions to your statements. I am not saying your statements may not be true or are not valid. They are. There is a always a chance of many variables occurring in pro sports .. To add to your premise, the Flames went gangbusters 3 years ago and made the playoffs, only to miss the following year. The one major difference is the Flames PDO was no in their favor. The Oilers PDO is reasonable …. Here we go ..

“How much better do you expect McDavid to be?Or Draisatl? or Talbot?Or Klefbom and Larsson? Do you expect Maroon to score more than he just did?” – if we went back to 1982 you could say the same thing? how much better can you expect Gretzky and the crew to be? One answer is that they don’t have to be a whole lot better. I do believe you will see McDavid throw up a 125 point season in the next 3 years. But even if he remains a Top 5 Art Ross threat, that will suffice. I would argue that Klefbom has the most room to improve his all around game. Larsson, Talbot and Drai just have to stay in their “range” to be considered very good. Obviously I don’t think Maroon will get any better. That could have been his high water mark for his career. But he can still be a useful 2LW or 3LW.

As for injury, that just gets into a what if game .. and you are correct, if major injuries hit any of our Top 6 players, it would severely hurt our team, but I think this is true for most teams. Tampa was humming along until Stamkos got hurt, they ended up missing the playoffs. It’s out of everyone’s control; but is a possibility.

“Eberle and RNH could be better, but one or both seem on the way out.” – I would throw Lucic in the could be better category and he is staying for sure. So either we would expect Eberle or RNH to be better or the same if they are with the Oilers. If they are moved, then the roster will get a different player who is expected to contribute to winning.

“So internal improvement rests on guys like Puljujarvi, Nurse, Benning, and Caggiula.Are they going to improve enough to be a Stanley Cup favourite?” – Internal improvement comes from these guys and the prospects and college signings. Any GM has to expect to see some improvement from young players. Perhaps your question is; how many of these players will improve AND will they improve to a good enough level that they are a meaningful piece to a Stanley Cup team. If Darnell stays as the #3LHD for the next 4 years, that is not much improvement. If JP and Cagg don’t score more than 10 goals a season, that won’t be enough. If Benning regresses, he isn’t a quality part. These things COULD happen. But generally a few of these high end guys will improve and become an important part of the Stanley Cup roster. This might be considered a more pessimistic view overall, but what if we switched to a more optimistic one; JP scores 25+ goals for the next 5 years, Nurse becomes a trust worthy #2LHD option and Cagg and Benning remain about the same; that would be great overall.

“This team isn’t good enough to just plug holes while new ones are springing up.” – This team just finished 8th in the League in points and also finished in the Final 8 in the Playoffs. So what gives anyone to say they are not good enough? Apparently they were that good with their current parts.

“It will be interesting to see what happens in this city if this team takes a step back next year.” – Due t the Decade of Darkness it seems a lot of Fans can’t wrap their heads around the Oilers actually being a good team. They have the best player in hockey, that has to count for something. They have great young pieces throughout their lineup. They finally have an NHL caliber defense group. Their starting goalie is at a good age and just had a stellar season with no reason to believe he will fall back substantially. And finally PC has signed, drafted and built up a pipeline of players deeper than the last decade.

All of these things don’t guarantee success. But if you polled 31 NHL GM’s I bet 25 or more would love to take over this roster as is.

As LT says: There are a lot of good arrows here.

So could the Oilers fall out of the playoffs next season? of course they can. But that wouldn’t mean they are a train wreck or horrible franchise. Tampa, Philly, Islanders, Panthers, Kings and Stars all missed this season after being in. It’s a super competitive league with tremendous parity. But the Vegas odds probably have the Oilers at about an 80% chance to be a playoff team next season.

It would take a perfect storm of injuries, player regression, bad luck and PC not filling any holes for this team to miss.

67. N64 says:

Stanley:
    Shane,

Someone disagreed with him, he threw a temper tantrum and left the site.

Just got tired of Kesler hanging onto him in the corners without making hockey plays. 😉

68. John Chambers says:

Cassandra,

Great hypothetical question, Cassandra.

I think with poor management the Oilers are certainly capable of hitting a plateau, or at worse they could remain perpetually mediocre with their salary-structure being too top-heavy to add the necessary pieces to become elite.

The Oil will plateau if:
    – Talbot regresses
    – We waste key cap space on a Demers or even Russell on a long-term deal
    – Puljujarvi fails to develop, Eberle has lost a gear, Lucic can’t play top-6, and Maroon walks

However, the Oilers will improve as a team if:
    – McDavid and Draisaitl are consistently in the top-3 and top-20 in scoring
    – Larsson and Klefbom continue to develop
    – Nurse, Benning, Caggiula, Puljujarvi can be top-4 / top-9 contributors

At this point I take Chiarelli’s perspective that the latter is more likely than the former. History shows that players in their (very) early 20’s round into their most productive form in their mid-20’s, and for defensemen late 20’s.

Essentially the Oilers should still be on an upward arc while teams like LA, SJ, and Anaheim continue to trend downwards due to age.

But to your original point, the Oilers upward trajectory is not guaranteed, and injuries, bad contracts, and lack of internal development could stall it.

69. jtblack says:

John Chambers,

Cassandra. What were your predictions for this past season?

70. Cassandra says:

jtblack,

Of course they are favoured to make the playoffs. I’d put it at higher than 80%. Barring an injury to McDavid, or multiple injuries to other players, with the weakness of the Pacific I would put it at a near certainty.

They were gifted McDavid. Making the playoffs isn’t good enough. Anything less than multiple Stanley Cup appearances is abject failure. I don’t think this team is positioned well for that, mostly because I don’t agree that the team has great young pieces.

Where you are right is that the league is designed around parity. You don’t have to be great to make the finals. You just have to be decent to good and lucky, which is good since that describes this team perfectly.

71. Dirk Dangler says:

Stanley:
    Shane,

Someone disagreed with him, he threw a temper tantrum and left the site.

That’s not what happened. Or are you maybe just feeling bad that he left because of you?

Thanks again for all you contribute Stanley. We’re all way better off reading your occasional passive aggressive remarks instead of the meaningful information WG posted here on a daily basis.

Almost daily someone will notice that he is no longer contributing. Think you could say the same if you left?

He isn’t around to defend himself and you still feel the need to attack him?

Get bent.

72. jimdewger says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Kinger_Oil.redux:

1) Which Oil player will Vegas select?:
    2) Who is our first pick in the Entry Draft?
    3) Does Ebs get moved? (bonus if you pick for who)
    4) Does RNH get moved (bonus if you pick for who)
    5) Who is our back-up G on game 1?
    6) Total $ amount/years for Russell (0 is an answer)
    7) Total $ amount/years of McDavid’s contract?
    8) Total $ amount/years of Drai’s contract?
    9) Which 2 D dress with Larsson/Klef/Nurse/Benning on game 1?
    10) Biggest off-season F acquired? (based on their salary in 2017):
    11) Is Jessie playing game 1?
    12) How many roster trades does Chia make?

– Please send back in the following format (so I can cut and paste easy):

1 Griff
    2 Maxime Comtois (after small trade down)
    3 Yes, for Strome
    4 No
    5 LB
    6 3 x 3.8
    7 5 x 10.5
    8 7x 7.5
    9 Russell Gudas
    10 Vanek
    11 Yes
    12 2

73. John Chambers says:

Cassandra,

I guess I would re-frame the question to you as: “who in the Western Conference do you think are BETTER positioned than the Oilers to compete for the Cup over the next half-dozen years?”

In my opinion, Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Minnesota, Chicago, St Louis will all be worse at this time next year relative to where they are against the Oilers now. That’s not to say that Chicago or Minnesota couldn’t beat Edmonton in a conference final matchup, or that the Oilers don’t lose out in the first round to the Kings or Sharks next year, but 2-3 years from now Edmonton should beat them all.

Calgary, Dallas, and Winnipeg are up and coming teams. If either team gets good goaltending and if their young players become elite finishers they could perennially challenge Edmonton.

At the beginning of the season I had Nashville pegged to be the toast of the West. They are. It’s conceivable that the Oilers and Preds match up for multiple conference finals and at this point I think the Preds are undoubtedly the better team. Nashville does have to pony up for Arvidsson and Johansson right away, and Ryan Ellis two years down the road. They don’t have the resources to ‘add’ to their lineup, just sustain it until Rinne can no longer provide elite goaltending, which may come sooner than later.

74. Stanley says:

Dirk Dangler,

That’s exactly what happened.

And if you think he isn’t still reading the comments hoping to get his ego stroked then you are deluding yourself.

75. season not played says:

Cassandra:
    jtblack,

Of course they are favoured to make the playoffs.I’d put it at higher than 80%.Barring an injury to McDavid, or multiple injuries to other players, with the weakness of the Pacific I would put it at a near certainty.

They were gifted McDavid.Making the playoffs isn’t good enough.Anything less than multiple Stanley Cup appearances is abject failure.I don’t think this team is positioned well for that, mostly because I don’t agree that the team has great young pieces.

Where you are right is that the league is designed around parity.You don’t have to be great to make the finals.You just have to be decent to good and lucky, which is good since that describes this team perfectly.

Hmmm…

All fair points Cassandra. I’m going to go ahead and speculate that you believe this team would be better positioned for it’s multiple Stanley Cup run if they still had Taylor Hall.

It’s really too bad about the Anaheim series, I mean I have heard some suggest the Oil won that series 5-2, because they had a legitimate chance to win this year. But I will leave the solid rebuttal arguments to John Chambers today as he seems to have it covered.

For you? I suggest a trip to the Bat Cave for some solace.

76. season not played says:

Stanley:
    Dirk Dangler,

That’s exactly what happened.

77. Diablo says:

Woogie63: EJ yesterday

If Tmac and Remenda are so tight, then perhaps TMac should tell Remenda to cool it until after Eberle gets traded – he’s starting to sound like Simmonds on Kessel – next thing we’ll hear about is Jordan’s secret love for hot dogs.

On one hand I feel like there is some truth to this, but Shero is a tough negotiator.

LMHF#1: I like keeping Khaira over Letestu because although I believe Letestu will get the chance to remain in his powerplay role – he won’t be able to keep it. Too much RH shooting talent both internally and available that will cash more of McDavid and Draisaitl’s passes/rebounds. He also faded in terms of the penalty kill and isn’t valuable 5-on-5.

Letestu has a very good one-timer – the thing I noticed about him is that he rarely misses the net if he doesn’t outright score – this creates opportunities for rebounds. Also he’s the only RH shot who is also a centre. Unless Chia gets a Kovalchuk type shooter, it is very likely that Letestu stays on PP1 – the coach trusts him there.

Cassandra:

I’m not sure I agree with you – last year the Oilers were a very inconsistent team that at times demonstrated flashes of one day becoming a great team, and at other times played like complete dog*&^%.

McDavid and Draisaitl – their play away from the puck and in the D-zone has a long way to go before you can compare them to the likes of Crosby or Kopitar. Both McDavid and Draisaitl are going to get stronger and fitter, which will allow them to own the play in all zones. But … and I say this with all due respect to Connor … he has a long way to go before he’s better than Crosby – and I have every confidence that he will surpass him one day, which means we aren’t even close to seeing Connor at his best.

Larsson and Klefbom – both of these guys were both very young and inexperienced this season. Zdeno Chara was 26 years old when he put up his first season with 30 or more points. Klefbom and Larsson are still 23 – they are NOT done developing yet.

So that’s your top 3 forwards (RNH included) and 2 top D that are still 24 years old and younger.
    Then add to that Caggiula, Slepy, Nurse, Benning who all established themselves as NHLers for the first time last season. Next step …. consistency.

Talbot should have another 3-4 years of being a top 10 goalie … I assume Chia learnt his lesson and will get a suitable backup for this season.

The Hawks have been a dominant team for the past decade – their only constants have been Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, Campbell then later Hjarlmasson and Crawford.

The Pens core – Crosby, Malkin, Staal then later Kessel, Letang and Fleury.

The Oilers core – McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson and Talbot – is right in line those teams.

The Pens and the Hawks are the roadmap – you have your core 5-6 guys that lead the team for a decade, with a supporting cast that comes and goes, changes and evolves. Right now our core guys have lots of growing still to do.

78. Dirk Dangler says:

Stanley,

You’ll have to excuse me. My reading comprehension is almost as bad as yours.

Another attack? Bordering on obsessive I’d say.

I hope he does read the comments tho. Most people want him back.

79. Ducey says:

John Chambers:
    Cassandra,

I agree with this, except I don’t see Dallas as up and coming.

Their D is a mess, Spezza is 33, Sharp is 35 and UFA, they need to sign Seguin in two years, and they have enough expensive goalies for 3 teams. And they don’t look to be stocked with prospects under contract.

If they have a great summer (they have a lot of guys coming off the cap (Sharp, Hemmer, Hudler)) they might make the playoffs, but I don’t see them as a threat.

80. Dirk Dangler says:

season not played,

Fitting.

81. barry.moore23 says:

Bag of Pucks,

and Unca Miltie,

I got Heathen on my Kindle. Thanks for the help. BOP I’ll let you know what I think. Regardless, congrats. That’s a big deal. Way to go.

82. Pechetr says:

10. Hanzal
    11. No
    12. 2

83. Stanley says:

Dirk Dangler:
    Stanley,

You’ll have to excuse me. My reading comprehension is almost as bad as yours.

Another attack? Bordering on obsessive I’d say.

I hope he does read the comments tho. Most people want him back.

A disagreement is not an attack, telling someone to get bent however…

84. Dirk Dangler says:

Stanley: If you think i was the one attacking then i really don’t think you should be commenting on peoples reading comprehension.

A disagreement is not an attack, telling someone to get bent however…

Originally I don’t think you meant to attack him. I think you didn’t comprehend what he was trying to write (with your reading skills), and so there was a misunderstanding. Then things escalated.

In this thread you meant to attack him. Twice. Unprovoked. And defenseless.

85. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

leadfarmer:

Good read if anyone is interested

– This is a great read: I’ve been lucky over the years to befriend some current and ex-NHL’ers

– Let’s just say that these stories from JR are still not exactly “relics of the past”

– Man the stories that Hockey guys tell about their “indescrections” could fill books: they really do live in a bubble. If you get a chance to hear them talk “off the record”, shut up listen and smile!

86. rickithebear says:

If we are really concerned agbout Playoff Production.

EVG is the most valuable.

when looking at the 65 best (2Evg+) EVG producers from the last playoffs
    14-15 to 16-17
    Repeatability of EVG performance is nice.

Player top 65 EVGPG all 3 playoffs. 3yr EVGPG average listed.
    Tarasenko .378

Thorton .071

We had;

Draisatl .385 .769 EVPPG
    Slepyshev .250 .250 EVPPG
    Mcdavid .231 .308 EVPPG
    Caggulia .231 .231 EVPPG
    Maroon .207 .405 EVPPG; .500 EVPPG this year.
    Kassian .154 .154 EVPPG; .231 EVGPG this year.
    Desharnais .083

Moore .067 UFA
    Wingels .065 UFA
    kunitz .048 UFA
    Upshall .036 UFA
    Winnick .000 UFA

87. VOR says:

I am going to thread jack.

LT, I was just told by an NHL scout that Kole Lind took 3.16 shots per game this year. [I assume the scout’s team has had somebody counting or has access to the Rockets in-house stats though it may be derived].

Unfortunately, apparently not the volume shooter you were looking for. Though no slouch. The comparable is Alex Tanguay though probably with more pure scoring talent. Definitely a pass first player.

88. John Chambers says:

Ducey,

Dallas could go either way. With a core of Benn, Seguin, Klingberg, the #3 OV pick, and a return to form of Ben Bishop the could catapult back into being a playoff team.

They need to ride out or trade those goalie contracts though, gain a couple of scoring wingers and a pair of defensive D. They have some good core pieces though and several of their bad contracts are expiring soon.

89. JDI says:

Dirk Dangler: He isn’t around to defend himself and you still feel the need to attack him?

Get bent.

Hey, I was going to say that!

Reminds me of the last time I threw a tempura tantrum. I got really battered.

90. Professor Q says:

JDI: Hey, I was going to say that!

Reminds me of the last time I threw a tempura tantrum. I got really battered.

Did you get fried from your job?

91. Aron_S says:

Shane: I haven’t been lurking much since we were eliminated. Did something happen?

I was perplexed by this earlier today, as I hadn’t been around as much.

I found the thread/culprits: http://lowetide.ca/2017/05/08/value-contracts-3/#comments

It’s too bad as WG will definitely be missed. As for the two offenders who finally broke WG’s back, do you really need to pile on when he’s not here? It’s not behaviour becoming of this excellent site.

92. jtblack says:

VOR,

I am so Leary of drafting a winger. But Lind Checks all the boxes. I could see PC trading down IF it made sense.

VOR:
    I am going to thread jack.

LT, I was just told by an NHL scout thatKole Lind took 3.16 shots per game this year. [I assume the scout’s team has had somebody counting or has access to the Rockets in-house stats though it may be derived].

94. JDI says:

Professor Q: Did you get fried from your job?

Deeply.

95. Bag of Pucks says:

barry.moore23,

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it. Like its author, it’s definitely weird, but hopefully entertaining : )

Writing a first novel is a very enlightening experience. You learn so much writing the first one, the moment you finish you immediately wish you would’ve known all that stuff before you started!

96. Bag of Pucks says:

–hudson–:
    When’s the last time Oilers didn’t have a whipping boy?

The media did carry water for the previous mismanagement regime in terms of whipping up a lather when they wanted to drum a player out of town. I don’t think that’s the case with Chiarelli now, so I suspect this is more a case of people like Remenda trying to do some prognostication / tea leaves reading of their own.

Media guys tend to fall in one of two camps these days. Either their job is ultra secure and they thus feel empowered to operate as more conventional ethical journalists. Or you have the on-the-fringe guys who have to stir up controversy and troll with clickbait to keep their public profile elevated.

Remenda hasn’t typically resorted to the latter behavoiur, but I suspect he’s not feeling ultra secure with Rogers these days.

97. Ducey says:

Lowetide: I’ll take 3.16 shots per game. Probably far more than some of the men around him.

Hall has 3.26 shots per game in his NHL career. Apparently he is good.

98. Bag of Pucks says:

VOR:

I like this approach. It’s the kind of thing a GM like Poile does when he trades Erat for Filip Forsberg. Sell the fading vet when he’s still got some cache for the up and comer on the cusp of breaking out.

You can make a lot of money in the market making decisions like this. Asset management baby!

99. The Hermit says:

JDI: Deeply

Medical Marijuana tester? 🙂

100. The Hermit says:

I miss Woodguy’s posts very much.

101. GMB3 says:

Cassandra: http://lowetide.ca/2017/05/08/value-contracts-3/#comments

I’m not sure I agree, but it is an interesting way of looking at the state of the Edmonton Oilers.

I think you could say the same about many teams.

Does McDavid/Drai/Maroon/etc performing better mean just more points to you? As I see it, I wouldn’t be surprised if this season is the high watermark for Drai’s career. It wouldn’t surprise me if he posted similar offense and maybe one or two years with better offense, but I don’t know if he will ever post 70+ points centering his own line (without another impact player anyways). I am almost certain that both McDavid and Drai learn more of the nuances of the game and improve on their play away from the puck, which will help this team better. The same goes for guys like Caggiula, Slepyshev, Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson.

To me, that is a pretty large area where Edmonton will still see improvement.

I do agree that the proposed deals for Drai and McDavid are ridiculous, especially Draisaitl.

102. JDI says:

The Hermit: Medical Marijuana tester?

Nah – I applied for that job, but failed the drug test.

103. Silver Streak says:

what did I miss….is Darcy the Woodguy the same guy that was just on Lowetides radio show this morning banned from this site ??? WTF brought that on…Tell me I`m wrong.

104. Professor Q says:

JDI: Nah – I applied for that job, but failed the drug test.

You didn’t need *that* high of a mark, eh?

105. Professor Q says:

Windsor vs. Erie on right now.

Looks to be an exciting game. The Raddyshes look like a fun pear.

106. JDI says:

Silver Streak: Tell me I`m wrong.

He wasn’t banned, he left.

Silver Streak:
    what did I miss….is Darcy the Woodguy the same guy that was just on Lowetides radio show this morning banned from this site ???WTF brought that on…Tell me I`m wrong.

Darcy is not banned, he has chosen not to post and is apparently getting a lot done! He can be found on twitter and of course I will be referencing his and G’s work. At some point, my hope is this blog returns to being respectful, but we have long since lost the right to be indignant when people leave. Good dialogue requires respect and due diligence, that’s a fact.

Not pointing at you btw, but you asked and that’s my answer. 🙂

108. AsiaOil says:

Love the Nurse but if you if can get Trouba for him then you do it and go 4×4.

Expansion List
    Klef, Lars,Sek, Trouba
    Drai, Looch, Maroon, RNH
    Talbot

Trade Eberle to VGK pre-expansion draft for a bottom 6 center (Nik Dowd) and agreement to pick a player of our choice (Pouliot preferred but maybe Fayne). Take the $10 million and go shopping for value wingers or simply keep flexibility for trade deadline and next year.

Maroon McDavid RNH/Slepy/Drai (shooter for McDavid’s line is McDavid)
    Lucic Drai JP
    Cags RNH/Dowd Kass
    Slepy/Khaira Letestu Pitlick/Pak

Before Sekera returns…
    Klef/Lars
    Russel/Trouba
    GR Benning Gryba

After Sekera returns…
    Klef/Lars
    Sekera/Trouba
    GR Russel Benning

Talbot/LB

Tons of flexibility in terms of cap and position – but key is the Nurse/Trouba deal.

109. square_wheels says:

John Chambers,

Pesce has been my target for 2 years, absolute gem bubbling under. Last season might have been the time to grab him, I suspect they let Faulk go first.

110. John Chambers says:

square_wheels:
    John Chambers,

Why trade any of them?

Slavin- Pesce
    Hanifin – Faulk

Could be similar in 2-3 years to what the Preds’ D is now.

111. square_wheels says:

John Chambers,

Yup, they need a pedigree goalie…..that might be Darling and some clever deals and a UFA center and look out.

Love that D corps.