DRAFT POST (2017) NO. 2: I KNOW WHAT I LIKE (IN YOUR WARDROBE)

One of the best things about Peter Chiarelli is his aggressiveness, which is also one of his weaknesses. The trait has held him in good stead during two drafts in Edmonton, and helped improve some long-term issues. Since he arrived, Edmonton has used eight of its 15 selections (53 percent) on defenders, in stark contrast to the previous 15 picks (three) over the 2013 and 2014 selections.

I am using those two draft sets as a backdrop to suggest the following: The work of building the McDavid era defense is not yet complete. If we take the eight most recent picks and accurately describe their skill set, we get this:

• Complete:
  • Two-Way: Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear, John Marino, Filip Berglund
  • Offensive:
  • Defensive: Ziyat Paigin, Markus Niemelainen, Matt Cairns

I think it’s fair to say Edmonton hasn’t covered off all areas of the defensive spectrum with these eight selections. You may disagree with some of the slots here, but generally speaking they’re a fair reflection of the overall depth.

Complete defensemen are rare and don’t always makes themselves known early days. I think Oscar Klefbom has a chance to become one, he’ll need to add to his defensive acumen and there is still time to grow into the role. I don’t see a natural “offensive” player in this group, despite impressive seasons from Jones, Bear and (a year ago) Ziyat Paigin. If we are looking at this year’s defenseman, my guess is that we see at least one puck mover taken by Edmonton.

2017 TOP DEFENSEMEN

1. RD Cale Makar, Brooks Bandits (AJHL). Fast, exceptional puck-moving acumen.
  2. LD Miro Heiskanen, HIFK (Sm-Liiga). Puck-mover, excellent vision/speed.
  3. RD Timothy Liljegren, Rogle (Swe Jr). He is a mobile 2-way D with impressive skill.
  4. LD Juuso Valimaki, Tri-City Americans (WHL). A big two-way D, smart, creative.
  5. LD Nicholas Hague, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL). Rangy, aggressive, emerging offense.
  6. RD Conor Timmins, SSE Greyhounds (OHL). Smart, reads plays well, excellent passer.
  7. LD Erik Brannstrom, HV71 (SHL). Undersized skill defender, outstanding skater.
  8. LD Noel Hoefenmeyer, Ottawa 67s (OHL). Has complete range of skills.
  9. LD Uro Vaakanainen, JYP (Sm-Liiga). Fast two-way blue with a good shot.
  10. RD Henri Jokiharju, Portland Winterhawks (WHL). Smooth skating Finn OD.
  11. LD Mario Ferraro, Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL). Undersized OD with real offensive potential.
  12. RD Cal Foote, Kelowna Rockets (WHL). Huge D, awkward skater, good passer, tough.
  13. RD Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL). Two-way D, some nice boxcars.
  14. RD Ian Mitchell, Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL). Undersized, mobile two-way defender.
  15. RD Kale Fleury, Kootenay Ice (WHL). Fascinating prospect. Haydn’s brother. Range of skills.
  16. RD Artyom Minulin, Swfit Current Broncos (WHL). Big defender with emerging skills.
  17. RD Eemeli Rasanen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL). Giant defender with skill, mobility.
  18. LD Max Gildon, USNDTP (USHL). Size, speed, skill. Inconsistent or he would be higher.
  19. LD Josh Brook, Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL). Mobile, dependable, emerging. Could be a find.
  20. LD Robin Salo, Sport Vaasa (SML). Two-way defender, mature.
  21. LD Jack Rathbone, Dexter School (USHS). A bullet on skates, very skilled.
  22. LD Cameron Crotty, Brockville Braves (CCHL). Intelligent two-way defender, great passer.
  23. RD Dylan Coghlan, Tri-City Americans (WHL). 2-way defender, good skater, spiking offensively.
  24. LD Markus Phillips, Owen Sound Attack (OHL). Undersized two-way defender improved 16-17.
  25. LD Dylan Samberg, Hermantown High (USHS). Big (6.03, 190) mobile blue. Offense a mystery.
  26. LD Clayton Phillips, Fargo Force (USHL). Undersized OD, speed, great shot. Draft and follow.
  27. RD Reilly Walsh, Chicago Steel (USHL). Mobile puck mover, great passer and a plus shot.
  28. LD Jocktan Chainey, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL). Good skater, can move the puck.
  29. RD Filip Westerlund, Frolunda (SHL). Impressive passing skills, some chaos on D.
  30. RD Luke Martin, Michigan (NCAA). Big, mobile defender plays intelligent game. Not a lot of buzz.
  31. LD Antoine Crete-Belzile, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL). Two-way defender, injury issues.
  32. LD David Farrance, USNDTP (USHL). Mobile, clever D, undersized. Rising.
  33. RD Adam Thilander, North Bay Battalion (OHL). Impressive skills, could be massive value.
  34. LD Tyler Inamoto, USNDTP (USHL). He is a mobile 6.02, 196 defender.
  35. LD Michael Anderson, Waterloo Blackhawks (USHL). Strong, good speed, defense.
  36. RD Juho Korhonen, Karpat (Jr. Sm-Liiga). Small and very skilled puck mover. Great passes.
  37. LD Nate Knoepke, USNDTP (USHL). Two-way defender with good size.
  38. LD Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (OHL). Giant defenseman, two-way type.
  39. RD Brady Lyle, North Bay (OHL). Big two-way defender.
  40. RD Gustav Lindstrom, Almtuna IS (Allsvenskan). 6.02, 187 two-way defender.
  41. LD Dylan Seitz, Kitchener (OHL). Big PF, scoring potential a question.
  42. RD August Berg, Brynas (SuperElite). Speedy defender with skill.
  43. LD Jonathan Smart, Regina Pats (WHL). Great outlet passer, is a good defender.
  44. RD Martin Bodak, Tappara (Jr. Sm-Liiga). Mobile two-way D who is a good passer.
  45. RD Tommy Miller, USNDTP (USHL). He is 6.02, 176, good speed, two-way defender.
  46. LD Otto Leskinen, Kalpa (Sm-Liiga). Mobile puck mover posted big numbers in junior.
  47. LD Jarret Tyszka, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL). Big, mobile shut down defender.
  48. RD Sean Durzi, Owen Sound Attack (OHL). Puck mover, great passer, good shot.
  49. RD Thomas Gregoire, Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL). Undersized skill D, good speed, passing.
  50. LC Noah Cates, Stillwater (USHS). Good speed, impressive HS numbers.

EDMONTON AND THIS DRAFT (DEFENSE)

The Oilers won’t get their target (surely it is Cale Makar) but there are lots of puck movers in this year’s draft. I think there’s a good chance we see at least one chosen this year and that player may come from the USHL. Why? There are ten USHL players in my top 50 defensemen this year, that’s a helluva total (OHL has 11, WHL 9).

I run the numbers and Ferraro had a strong second half and looks like a very good option for the Oilers (possibly with one of their third-round selections).

• Des Moines Buccaneers Assistant Coach Nate Weossner on the best part of Ferraro’s game“That it never changes.  That he’s the same guy every night, you know what you’re gonna get.  That’s his compete, that’s his work ethic, and he can play a lot of minutes.”
  • Weossner on Ferraro’s play in the defensive zone“He doesn’t play there much because he’s always getting the puck up the ice. What looks like offense a lot of times is just combatting their offense.”
  • Source

REILLY WALSH

• Red Line Report: Beautiful skater, really good lateral footwork, pushes off fast from sideboards on PP. Quarterbacked the PP, did not play on PK though. Gets shots through traffc, can beat shotblockers and create defections or rebounds. Not the strongest guy, at times struggles against size in own end. But very good tools who could become a PP rearguard in NHL. Source

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

I think it is a slam dunk to suggest Edmonton will choose a forward with the pick at No. 22, and the club is going to be drafting more forwards this time around. Somewhere in there, maybe with the second or third pick, the Oilers may draft a puck mover and I will guess he comes from the USHL.

102 Responses to "DRAFT POST (2017) NO. 2: I KNOW WHAT I LIKE (IN YOUR WARDROBE)"

1. DeeJay says:

Great song choice L.T.! My favorite Genesis album – Selling England By The Pound – I wore the grooves off this LP in the early 70’s. I still think “Firth of Fifth” is one of the best songs ever written. Thanks for the memories…..

DeeJay:
    Great song choice L.T.! My favorite Genesis album – Selling England By The Pound – I wore the grooves off this LP in the early 70’s.I still think “Firth of Fifth” is one of the best songs ever written.Thanks for the memories…..

God I love that album.

3. Brantford Boy says:

Just looking at holes (RD)… what a spike this year for Conor Timmins… not sure how far he falls but those Greyhounds can produce great D-men…

Brantford Boy:

It is a really good draft for D. I like the top 20 blue a ton.

5. Ducey says:

The Oilers 2015 draft is still looking pretty nice despite no 2nd or 3rd rounders

1 Connor
    4 Jones
    5 Bear
    6. Marino
    7. Svoboda (.944 last year)
    7 Paigin

Stud Muffin:
    Why are we describing, Bear as two way and Paigin as a Defensive Dman? Is that what the numbers say? My eyes see something different.

Ducey:

1 Connor
    4 Jones
    5 Bear
    6. Marino
    7. Svoboda (.944 last year)
    7 Paigin

Helluva draft.

8. Stud Muffin says:

Lowetide: Paigin’s scouting reports have him as a shutdown type with a big shot. From what I have read, he is not an outstanding passer of the puck and not known for transporting it. That puts him in a more defensive category.

Stud Muffin: From what I’ve been told by Russian KHL fans and seen for myself at the WJC and his few AHL he has to many defensive lapses to be pinned down as a defensive Dman.

ISS: Like this player. Stay at home d-men that keeps his game simple and boxes out well. PK work was strong all tournament, willing to block shots. Big bodied physical defender with a long reach and good skating ability. Knows his limitations and doesn’t try to do too much

10. jonrmcleod says:

Cam Talbot
    Griffin Reinhart
    Eric Gryba
    Victor Fasth
    Todd McLellan

11. Diablo says:

So both Lindholm AND Vatanen are out – Lindholm expected to be out 4-5 months, and Vatanen “longer”.

Murray’s opportunity to move Vatanen was last season before he gave him the extension. Now he’s going to have a heck of a time moving that contract before the expansion draft. He might get a low pick, but other teams are going to be leery about trading for him without knowing how he will recover from this injury – or at least that’s what they’ll say to Murray.

I really hope Bieksa says “no thanks” to waiving his NMC.

I still think Anaheim goes 7-3-1 – if Murray can’t find a taker, then he might as well expose Vatanen now, as he could be out until the New Year.

Tough break for Anaheim 😀

jonrmcleod: There are a few loose ends with the Victor Fasth (from the Ducks), David Perron (from the Blues), and Eric Gryba (from the Sens) trades, but this is basically what the Oilers did with their 2015 draft capital:

OUT

Ziyat Paigin
    Cam Talbot
    Griffin Reinhart
    Eric Gryba
    Victor Fasth
    Todd McLellan

McDavid and Talbot win the day, anything else is insane.

13. Stud Muffin says:

Lowetide: There was some mention of his offensive ability on draft day, but defensive value was also a big part of what made him worthwhile.

Stud Muffin: I think a year in North America will go along way to figuring what kind of player he is.

It is amazing how true that is. Sometimes there is disagreement (people didn’t like Pouzar, but he awesome) but sometimes these guys are overdone and arrive in the NHL very quickly. THAT would be aGodsend.

15. Tarkus says:

DeeJay:

“The Cinema Show” is the album’s highlight for me.

Many people hear of the name Phil Collins and think of him as just a singer, but he makes my top five rock drummers of all-time list (in random order: Collins, Neil Peart, Ian Paice, John Bonham, Carl Palmer).

His groove during the latter half of “The Cinema Show” isn’t flashy, but so, so solid. Some of his finest work with Genesis.

Better yet, for anyone wanting to hear Collins really stretch out on the skins, listen to Brand X, his fusion side project. (In fact, he ‘s been quoted as saying something like, “If Genesis was my wife, then Brand X was my mistress”.) The first two albums (Unorthodox Behaviour, Moroccan Roll) are especially noteworthy.

16. JDI says:

Lowetide: people didn’t like Pouzar, but he awesome

After I overcame his hatred for vowels, he grew on me. Kind of like a soft, warm fungus.

17. JDI says:

Tarkus: Phil Collins and think of him as just a singer, but he makes my top five rock drummers

Any mention of Genesis almost has to guarantee a reply from our favorite Bruce.

1) Anaheim will ask Bieksa to waive his NMC. And if he doesn’t accept, they will buy him out.

They wiil protect Lindholm, Fowler, and Manson, and expose Vatanen if they cannot make a trade for Fowler or Vatanen. Carlyle really likes Fowler so Anaheim probably will protect him even if they might not be able to extend him. But maybe Toronto offers Nylander for Fowler, Colorado, Landeskog or Duchene, or Tampa, Drouin.

2) I think Chiarelli might have decided to leave Khaira unprotected, and protect Letestu, because he figures that Vegas might take Khaira over Reinhart or Broissoit. Sekera’s injury means not losing Reinhart is more important. There are fewer pickable forwards in the expansion draft than D.

For those who haven’t heard the song, here’s a live version.

20. Professor Q says:

JDI: Well I take issue with top 5, but he was a great drummist, no question. He was a good singer in my opinion, but his best talent was probably as a pop song writer. People often deride pop songs, but they ain’t easy to write, lemme tellsya. And when you write a song that’s picked up by a movie sound track, cha-CHING!

Any mention of Genesis almost has to guarantee a reply from our favorite Bruce.

Or an entire soundtrack!

21. stush18 says:

godot10,

I’m pretty sure Manson doesn’t need to be protected? I could be wrong though. The ducks are in a tight spot, but even if they lose Manson or vatanen, they still have Theodore or montour ready to step in.

Very enviable team right now

22. jtblack says:

Ducey,

The GR tradebhas been hashed over already, BUT this draft could have been epic with picks 15 & 33. They also could have produced nothing. And none of it matters now!

23. JDI says:

godot10: Anaheim will ask Bieksa to waive his NMC.

And I think he waives, because the likelihood of McPhee picking an injured 36 yr old defender is extremely low. He gets to stay on the left coast.

godot10: Losing Vatanen in the expansion draft is not that bad when you have Montour ready to play.

Their depth on D is incredible.

godot10: There are fewer pickable forwards in the expansion draft than D.

godot10: Sekera’s injury means not losing Reinhart is more important.

Yup.

24. stush18 says:

I really hope the oilers take lilligren if he falls. I have a feeling he might.

I haven’t watched much of either player, but I would rather take lilligren than maker, just due to quality of competition.

You need to be really sure taking makar when he is playing in a lesser tier 2 league. I’m very surprised he’s ranked so high.

25. jtblack says:

jonrmcleod,

Talbot deal is Incredible. Draft looks Great. PC may be agressive but after years of GM’s talking ” Bold moves” and shuffling 4th liners; I will take the agressive approach

26. hunter1909 says:

My question to Lowetide readers:

Before Connor McDavid turns into the Sun-god;

At what point do the draft picks start blossoming big time, like the Gretzky Oilers did in the 80s? My theory always was/is that Anderson, Messier, even Coffey don’t reach anywhere near the heights they scaled without Wayne.

Theory wise, I’d expect Darnell Nurse to be in the top 4 by the end to training camp. JP will eventually develop, but it might take another season or more.

Comedy Question: What do Lowe+MacT do with the 2017 Oilers, if they in fact were still running the show?

1 – make Eberle captain
    2- trade Nurse
    3- tell Sekera he’s too old
    4 – Offer Draisraitl a bridge deal @ 7.5 million for 2 seasons. Add Kevin Lowe’s own special Irish charm for more drama.
    5 – Some of the above, including trading down on draft day, for another 2nd round pick they choose a stone handed coke machine.

27. jtblack says:

LT or anyone. Was a reason ever been given why PC traded for Reinhart. I understand he may have missed on the talent evaluation; that happens; But why did he trade for a LHD with Nirse, Oesterle and Klef in the system and then sign Sekera? Maybe he didnt count on signing Sekera? Or GR plays RHD sometimes? Always been curious

28. hunter1909 says:

jtblack:
    LT or anyone.Was a reason ever been given why PC traded for Reinhart. I understand he may have missed on the talent evaluation; that happens; But why did he trade for a LHD with Nirse, Oesterle and Klef in the system and then sign Sekera? Maybe he didnt count on signing Sekera? Or GR plays RHD sometimes?Always been curious

It appears you might have to ask him this yourself.

All of us at Lowetide thank you, and eagerly wait for your report.

29. jtblack says:

hunter1909,

Pretty hard to predict players to Blossom in to HHOF calibre. But to your point, I think its already happening. Drai, Klef already major strides. A few other blue chippers hopefully follow

30. hunter1909 says:

jtblack: LT or anyone. Was a reason ever been given why PC traded for Reinhart.

The Party Line: Reinhart was meant to turn out to be Benning.

As a Oil Kings hacker, I always gave Reinhart all the time he needs to develop. They say he’s gone to LV, but I doubt it. Chiarelli is going to weave his Chara procuring magic.

jtblack:

The Oilers had only one LD, a D who had just finished his rookie season (Klefbom), when they traded for Reinhart. Okay, they also had Ference and Nikitin.

Sekera didn’t come till the next week. There was no guarantee they were getting him. Nurse was a graduating junior.

32. jtblack says:

godot10,

Makes Sense. I guess had GR shown better or been loke a Benning, it would be looked at different

Thx

33. Ryan says:

jtblack:

I had my personal theory that I promulgated in the comments section of the thread.

34. jtblack says:

Ryan,

I understand PC was “forced” to find NHL D and take chances to do so. He inherited the Worst Blueline in hockey. Even with the GR miss (I know he still may play in the future); PC has done a nice job re tooling the Blueline. And as the Article states, there is still more work to be done!

35. JDI says:

jtblack: Was a reason ever been given why PC traded for Reinhart.

My theory is that the mind trust Chiarelli inherited, persuaded him that the trade was a no-brainer. That trade was initiated only a couple of weeks after Chiarelli was hired, so it’s quite plausible that he leaned on his new co-workers for input.

36. jtblack says:

Henri Jokiharju. Still 17. Will he slip to round 2?

Cale Fleiry. -61. Kootenay was a tire fire.

37. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

hunter1909,

– Great post LT! Hunter it still bothers me to see MacT and Lowe flanking Chia. This is THE off-season that sets the tables for a decade (between contracts to McD and Drai), to all the moving parts with the Vegas draft. That two clowns clearly inept have a seat at the adult table really is a red flag.

38. Bag of Pucks says:

Jultz does this thing where he’s really impressed with his own backwards crossovers while a winger is blowing by the fancy skating. Putz.

If he wins a second ring this year, I go from agnosticism to full blown atheism.

39. MrEd says:

The GR trade was a real tell in retrospect.
    Chia, new to the team, addled that iteration of the Olier braintrust with the mind that one in hand is better that two in the bush.
    Chia had D on the mind.
    Decisions made.

40. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

jtblack: re: Griff

– Chia was on record as saying after the trade that Griff was ready for NHL duty.

– The D was comprised of, in no particular order: Nikitin, Clendening, Ferrence, Brad f’ing Hunt, Jultz, Fayne, Gryba, Davidson: not exactly the 2017 Ducks D dept

– Klef was an injury-prone 21 year old emerging player, Nurse was 20.

– So it was basically Sek (thank god) and a bunch of what ifs, maybes, never was

– Chia thought he had Hamilton (which would have been an amazing off-season: Sek + Hamilton)

– After the Bruins f$kd him over, he knew he couldn’t go into season with the hot garbage he inherited, he panicked, the OBC loved Griff, so he pulled the trigger, based on their pushing

– Anyway that’s my narrative and I’m sticking to it, as its convenient!

41. Bag of Pucks says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Nailed it.

42. Professor Q says:

Bag of Pucks:

Of the Church of Connor?! 😱

43. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Justin effing Schultz hahahahaha

44. Yak Efron says:

Justin fuckn Schultz

45. Bag of Pucks says:

Don’t get all the hate towards the Sens. This is an entertaining hockey game. You have to counterpunch against the Pens, Anything else is likely suicide.

Mike Sullivan doesn’t seem to have any trouble coaching Justin Schultz, and he isn’t the 2nd highest paid coach in the NHL like the coach of the Oilers.

47. Professor Q says:

Even though it should have been a Diving call on Kessel, it just *had* to be Schultz who scored that goal…

48. russ99 says:

godot10:

It was Sergei Gonchar that reconstructed Schultz’s game from scratch, with little in-game ice time.

Jultzing it up real good.

49. Professor Q says:

And karma on Kessel?

50. leadfarmer says:

Le Chiffre is pissed. Real pissed

51. leadfarmer says:

Le Chiffre is no longer pissed. He is slightly content which is the best mood you’ll find Le Chiffre in

52. russ99 says:

That sucks, this team just won’t die.

53. Diablo says:

godot10:
    1) Anaheim will ask Bieksa to waive his NMC.And if he doesn’t accept, they will buy him out.

They wiil protect Lindholm, Fowler, and Manson, and expose Vatanen if they cannot make a trade for Fowler or Vatanen. Carlyle really likes Fowler so Anaheim probably will protect him even if they might not be able to extend him.But maybe Toronto offers Nylander for Fowler, Colorado, Landeskog or Duchene, or Tampa, Drouin.

2) I think Chiarelli might have decided to leave Khaira unprotected, and protect Letestu, because he figures that Vegas might take Khaira over Reinhart or Broissoit.Sekera’s injury means not losing Reinhart is more important.There are fewer pickable forwards in the expansion draft than D.

1) Pretty much everyone thinks Bieksa will waive his NMC – but there is always a chance that he or his agent is a dick about it. That would be awesome! He’s an over 35 contract – so if they buy him out the cap hit still counts.

You’re right – the original plan was to trade Vatanen with Montour ready to take his place and 1/4 the price – a top 4 RHD who is under control for several years would have fetched them a nice haul before the injury. They may still try to do so (I agree with you – they like Fowler a ton now), but they are in a poorer bargaining spot now.

Now keep in mind our fanbase is pulling out their hair over the concern of losing Reinhart for nothing. Imagine now how much the Ducks fans are seething about this.

2) Jujhar in Vegas – sounds like the title of a Bollywood film.

54. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

russ99,

Pittsburgh Dman was “also in” on the 2-2 goal, need to pickup the guy in front.

Anderson playing excellent only reason this game is close

55. Centre of attention says:

dellowhockey‏ @dellowhockey 1m1 minute ago
    After the Pens 2-1 goal, Karlsson played 2:34 of the 2:57 before OTT tied it up.

This guy isn’t human.

56. russ99 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    russ99,

Pittsburgh Dman was “also in” on the 2-2 goal, need to pickup the guy in front.

Anderson playing excellent only reason this game is close

The Sens have been in it because of Karlsson for some time now.

I know they vote for awards before the playoffs, but I can’t see how he doesn’t get the Norris.

Kinger’s recall on GR trade rings true based on what we knew at that time. Lots of issue framing since, but they sure talked about Reinhart being ready.

58. Centre of attention says:

Local Swedish hockey wizard Erik Karlsson neither needs oxygen nor do his muscles produce lactic acid.

59. Professor Q says:

russ99: The Sens have been in it because of Karlsson for some time now.

Hedman and Burns also had great years.

If Burns hadn’t dropped off the last month he might have beaten Connor for the Art Ross AND Hart.

60. McSorley33 says:

Ryan,

Good take ……

Oilers scout admitted not seeing Griff as a pro. It is a big jump to the NHL.

And as you mentioned, he shoots left.

61. russ99 says:

That’s the issue, the Islanders didn’t think he was ready, he was third in line of their D prospects in the AHL so another case of the smartest men in the room in Oilers scouting, for the last time before Chia cleaned house.

Either they didn’t scout him properly in the AHL that year or Oil Kings “inside information” overrode that scouting.

62. Professor Q says:

russ99,

Isn’t the narrarive that they admitted to not scouting him *at all* in the AHL, having not seen him since the Memorial Cup?

63. Diablo says:

Professor Q: Hedman and Burns also had great years.

That’s a stretch – at no time was Burns ahead of Connor towards the latter half of the season. Even if Burns had not dropped off, Connor absolutely went on a tear during the back 9 of the regular season.

No one was catching McDavid while the refs were still calling penalties.

64. Diablo says:

I can’t wait for this game to be over – I want to see Methot shake Crosby’s hand with the mitt that missing a finger tip.

65. Centre of attention says:

Hoffman is going to go top-shelf bardownski’s in overtime here and I still don’t think Canadian Tire center will sell out during the SCF 😛

66. BeerMe says:

There’s going to be a soft call in OT and it’s going to decide the series.

67. MrEd says:

russ99,

Professor Q,
    Still hope he covers part of Seks injury.

68. Bag of Pucks says:

Diablo:

Good call. That’s must see TV.

I often con my wife with a game called “Just the tip.”

69. Diablo says:

godot10:

You keep trashing TMac for sins real and imagined – so I’d like to know who would you have as coach of the Edmonton Oilers?

70. Professor Q says:

Diablo,

Fine, fine. Challenged, not beaten.

71. BeerMe says:

That’s twice now where the play has been whistled down. The Pens are outplaying the refs.

72. GMB3 says:

“A good active stick by Daley”… WHAT A JOKE. That is hooking!!!! Bullshit

73. Professor Q says:

The commentators:

“Anderson needs to watch out. If the Penguins scored on the left side there, the game’s over!”

As usual in OT, of course…

74. Professor Q says:

GMB3:
    “A good active stick by Daley”… WHAT A JOKE. That is hooking!!!! Bullshit

I guess it’s becoming normalized now so commentators consider it a skill?

75. Bag of Pucks says:

Turris, Brassard. Turns out you don’t have to tank to get a C like RNH.

76. BeerMe says:

What’s with the damn early whistles

77. Professor Q says:

No penalty on that high stick? Sheesh.

78. Bag of Pucks says:

Wow. Pitt DJ with a Metallica ‘Mercyful Fate’ cover and we get ‘Cotton Eye Joe’ at Rogers.

79. Professor Q says:

Bag of Pucks:

During the DoD, where did players come from, and where did they go?

80. BeerMe says:

Wow the Penguins crowd is absolutely boneheaded. What the fk lol

Diablo: That’s such BS – you know very well that the fans and media were riding Schultz out of town long before TMac came here.

Where is it written that because one is a fan of the team one has to automatically endorse or the coach. The Oilers and Chiarelli probably had to go with an experienced coach, and they have an experienced but mediocre coach. A coach who wants players who fit his system, rather than adjust his system to the talent available. I have a preference for the latter.

But we are lucky… cause #EvenBylsmaWonACupWithCrosby.

82. Bag of Pucks says:

Professor Q: During the DoD, where did players come from, and where did they go?

: )

83. Diablo says:

godot10: Where is it written that because one is a fan of the team one has to automatically endorse or the coach.The Oilers and Chiarelli probably had to go with an experienced coach, and they have an experienced but mediocre coach.A coach who wants players who fit his system, rather than adjust his system to the talent available.I have a preference for the latter.

But we are lucky… cause #EvenBylsmaWonACupWithCrosby.

You still haven’t told us who you would prefer as coach.

84. Centre of attention says:

Man the fact they only replayed the overhead there is a major troll job on Pens fans in the arena.

Once they see twitter they will calm down but wow I can’t really blame them for throwing shit on the ice and booing the refs.

85. Chachi says:

Diablo: You still haven’t told us who you would prefer as coach.

86. Professor Q says:

Chachi: A German speaking unicorn with the face of Ralph Kreuger and the long flowing mane and goatee of Todd Nelson.

There’s actually a guy in my hometown who looks exactly like Kreuger. Emil.

Dutch though, not German.

87. Diablo says:

LOL!

I liked Kreuger too, but he’s not coming back here after the indignant manner in which he was fired, and the fact that the two gentlemen who fired him are still with the organization.

Nelson’s a good coach – I hope he gets a shot to run an NHL bench. But there’s zero evidence that he’s a better coach than TMac.

88. Diablo says:

Bye bye Ottawa – no Canadian team is winning before the Oilers do.

89. Diablo says:

Ahh that was anti-climatic – I wanted to see Methot wag his half digit in Crosby’s face.

90. Bag of Pucks says:

Feck. 24 years now since a Canadian team won it. Too bloody long.

91. Bag of Pucks says:

Diablo:

Methot was all class there. He’s a warrior. Played great in these playoffs.

92. Centre of attention says:

Neal is going to flying torpedo elbow Crosby and/or Malkin in this series isn’t he? Return of the #RealDeal

93. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

The Hockey Gods cannot forgive non-sellouts in the conference final

94. Centre of attention says:

Can’t wait until they disclose exactly how many bones were left unbroken in Karlssons lower body. He looked hurt a lot of these playoffs, still played almost 30 minutes most nights and scored 18 points in 19 games.

Swedish hockey wizards like Karlsson have regenerative powers similar to Wolverine from the X-men, so perhaps its already healed by now and they say nothing. Lol.

Diablo: You still haven’t told us who you would prefer as coach.

You can’t always get what you want.

I’m pretty sure that Bettman and the McDavid camp told Katz and Nicholson that he had to clean house and get a GM and a coach with track records. The GM I like. The coach…meh.

My preference would have been for Chiarelli to stick with Nelson, but that was never going to happen.

I would have preferred Babcock to McLellan, but that was never going to happen.

McLellan was the biggest “name” available at the point next to Babcock…I understand the choice. Events forced the choice. It was part of the price of McDavid. It was unfortunate a better option for a proven coach wasn’t available at the time. But I don’t have to buy the reputation and the hype.

96. Centre of attention says:

Ryan Whitney‏Verified account
    @ryanwhitney6
    Kunitz !! How did the penguins get that guy!??

hahahahahahaaha. Oh Whitter you always were a smart one.

97. dustrock says:

On Reinhart, I think we need to ask ourselves: does Chiarelli make that trade if we don’t get McDavid? I’d say 100% no. He wanted a young defenceman under control to grow with the McDavid core.

LT started talking very early about the McDavid core rather than the Hall/Eberle core, and that’s a real thing.

On Liljegren, he’s this year’s Chychrun or Kylington I think. If he’s somehow there at 22 you grab him, even if I do want a forward there.

98. dustrock says:

godot10: You can’t always get what you want.

I’m pretty sure that Bettman and the McDavid camp told Katz and Nicholson that he had to clean house and get a GM and a coach with track records.The GM I like.The coach…meh.

I would have preferred Babcock to McLellan, but that was never going to happen.

McLellan was the biggest “name” available at the point next to Babcock…I understand the choice.Events forced the choice.It was part of the price of McDavid.It was unfortunate a better option for a proven coach wasn’t available at the time.But I don’t have to buy the reputation and the hype.

You’re right. 2 Conference Finals with the Sharks, several other playoff runs, WHC gold medal, SC win as an assistant, and now 2nd round with this Oilers roster.

What track record does McLellan have compared to anyone not named Babcock or Quenneville?

99. Centre of attention says:

dustrock,

There was talk from some people around the organization that the Reinhart trade doesn’t happen if OEG knew the exact expansion rules.

100. dustrock says:

Centre of attention:
    dustrock,

There was talk from some people around the organization that the Reinhart trade doesn’t happen if OEGknew the exact expansion rules.

Yes I can see this
    100%.

101. Doug McLachlan says:

dustrock: Yes I can see this100%.

At the time of the Reinhard trade, nobody knew the expansion rules – or even the number of expansion teams.

102. Bruce McCurdy says:

Any mention of Genesis almost has to guarantee a reply from our favorite Bruce.

Hi from Daylatedollarshortville. I always used to say that as rock singers go Phil Collins made a great drummer. Although he did offer a glimpse of the future on that album with “More Fool Me”. Phil did have some excellent songs both with Genesis and solo, though I am personally a Peter Gabriel man through & through. Not to mention a Tony Banks man, esp the aforementioned Firth of Fifth, just fabulous stuff.

The sands of time were eroded by
    the river of constant change