SCREAMING TARGETS

Over the next five weeks, the Edmonton Oilers are going to be adding forwards. Shooters for the NHL centers, centers for the AHL wingers, and (hopefully) at least three bona fide offensive talents via the draft. That’s the menu, and let’s take them one at a time.

SHOOTERS FOR NHL CENTERS

Puljujarvi should spike offensively this coming year, and if he plays with Connor McDavid his boxcars could be impressive. Here are recent AHL teenagers and their draft +2 performances:

• William Nylander (NHL: 22, 6-7-13) (AHL: 38, 18-27-45)
  • Mikko Rantanen (NHL: 75, 20-19-39) (AHL: 4, 0-2-2)
  • David Pastrnak (NHL: 51, 15-11-26) (AHL: 3, 1-3-4)
  • Kevin Fiala (NHL: 5, 1-0-1) (AHL: 66, 18-32-50)

My RE is probably going to assume Puljujarvi plays third-line minutes with Nuge (or other) on what will be (at times) a soft minutes line. I will probably have JP playing 50+ NHL games in 2017-18, but the players above serve as a cautionary tale in our effort to find reasonable. I don’t think the Oilers can count on Jesse Puljujarvi as a scoring winger at the beginning of the 2017-18  season. The McDavid factor could mean he gets to 50 points next season and that represents an incredible range. Thoughts?

CENTERS FOR AHL WINGERS

Joe Gambardella and Kyle Platzer are the only Condors centers I can see from here. That’s not good. I expect we’ll see a few European signings in the coming weeks (Jere Sallinen level) and most of those will be centermen. As strong as the Oilers are at the position on the NHL depth chart, they are very weak in the AHL. We may see a new AHL coach based on reading tea leaves from people in the know. I don’t think the Oilers will be as active as some other teams, but they are going to be adding 10 players between now and September (plus draft), plus replacing those they will trade away. Get your rest, take your vitamins, grab an app or two for breaking news.

BONA FIDE NHL TALENT

I first read about Elias Petterson in The Black Book, which is recommended highly for draft nuts like myself. A brief passage:

• The Black Book: Pettersson is clearly a work in progress, but has significant long term potential and could be a difference maker once fully developed. How popular his name will be by the time next year’s draft comes around will probably depend a lot on how much he will grow into his body along the next 12 months.

I followed his progress all season and have to say he’s a guy I am hoping Edmonton can find a way to draft. Although there is risk here (he is tall and rail thin, Pronman lists him at 6.02, 161) the talent is clearly there. I have him No. 4 overall.

EBERLE TRADE THOUGHTS

If you google Jordan Eberle trade rumors you’ll get items on Edmonton’s top RW heading to the Rangers (Staal), Coyotes (Strome) and all manner of possibilities. The first thing we have to suss out is ‘who is replacing him on a skill line?’ and I think it is unwise to assume the answer is JP. That leaves us with Zack Kassian (best left on bottom 6), Anton Slepyshev (how much can he score?) and Drake Caggiula (how much can he score?).

• Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
  • Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
  • Pouliot-Nuge-Puljujarvi
  • Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

Chiarelli is going to add up front, probably bringing in a center-right wing while offloading Benoit Pouliot. If we buyout Pouliot and trade Eberle for Ryan Strome (in a deal that would be bigger) while signing Spencer Foo?

• Maroon-McDavid-Strome
  • Lucic-Draisaitl-Foo
  • Caggiula-Nuge-Puljujarvi
  • Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

The team becomes far too young up front. No sir. I think trading Eberle would have to involve someone more established than Strome coming back. If PC can sign Spencer Foo, that might be your big move up front this summer:

• Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
  • Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
  • Caggiula-Nuge-Foo
  • Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

That, for me, is preferable to trading Jordan Eberle for a less proven option on RW. That trade could come a year from now and give the Oilers another year with their established scoring winger. Thoughts?

76 Responses to "SCREAMING TARGETS"

1. russ99 says:

Replacing Ebetle with Puljujarvi and Russell with Reinhart is something MacTavish would do.

If we’re going for a cup we need NHL players in those spots.

2. DBO says:

We have no need to off load Eberle for pennies on the dollar. This coming year is not the cap crunch. Let him up his play, then if needed deal him next summer when he is more valuable. Gives Puljujarvi one more year of batting order cover, which good teams do.

Foo is the wildcard. Adding him means Puljujarvi can start in the AHL and earn his spot.

Maroon. McDavid. Eberle
    Lucic. Draisatl. Foo
    Caggiula. Nuge. Slepeshev
    Pouliot. Letestu. Kassian

If you offload Pouliot then great. He can be replaced with cheap vet on a one year deal, or Khaira or similar from our youth.

3. tcho says:

Call me crazy, but I still think the #! – and by a country mile – priority for the summer is upgrading the D. You really want , at minimum, a top 4 guy. It would be best if he was a RH and with some offensive mojo. That’s a tough get (as we saw in the Hall trade). Wingers schmingers, I say. If you have to give up Eberle or Maroon or… for the right guy, you do it, and you try to sign a UFA or college kid, or promote an AHLer, or swing a trade for a partial replacement.

My ideal summer would be getting a good top 4 option AND upgrading the Gryba/7D spot. I don’t really care about the wingers. Oh, and IF the plan is to play Drai on McD’s wing, then getting a good 3C.

4. Jordan says:

Morning gents (edit: and ladies!).

You’re right in that you don’t need to trade Eberle. But, the problem is that if the stanley window is open now and you are keeping Eberle, then you are betting on his performance in this playoffs as been one driven by an unsustainably low shooting percentage. It’s not a bad bet to make, but if they make it to the big show again next year, and it’s the same story, then he becomes much more difficult to move to a team that is already making it into the playoffs.

Asset value-wise, it’s probably the right call – don’t sell low.

But, at the same time there’s a lot of opportunity to make significant moves this off-season because of the expansion draft and the new dollars available to be spent. In my mind, it will be easier to move him without retaining salary this year. Which is a bigger concern moving forward.

Therefore, I would be trading him, and looking outside the organization for a volume RS volume shooter to replace him. Vrbata would be my choice due to perceived cost on a 1-year and the opportunity to cash in the following year after playing some of the season with Connor, but I think the slow boots will have them looking somewhere else.

5. Rondo says:

Something that is lost on some people is Eberle is a better player now because of his 1st playoff experience,

6. Woogie63 says:

Slepyshev- big, strong, protects the puck, volume shooter, with good speed, effective forechecker

Elite Tournaments – games played

Spengler – 5
    WJC U 18 – 13
    WJC U 20 – 14 (captain one year)
    Other – 37

Pro Hockey – games played

MHL – 15
    AHL – 58
    KHL – 159
    NHL – 52
    NHL Play-offs 13

Total seasons as a pro -6

This guys should be counted on to play a top 6 role.

7. ashley says:

The playoffs are a very small sample of a player’s overall body of work. I thought Eberle was reasonable in the playoffs and got some good looks. He was unlucky with the boxcars, but that’s the way it goes for small stretches from time to time. That door swings both ways with guys like Bickell cashing on playoff boxcars that suggested a budding superstar, but his overall body of work suggesting otherwise.

Beware of small samples.

8. jjmclean says:

Any suggestions about who they would bring in for the Condors? Knoblach or, my personal choice who has been in the organization before, Rocky Thompson?

9. JDI says:

LT: Pronman lists him at 6.02, 161…

Insert MacT’s joke about arms on glasses here.

10. Thinker says:

The same people who think eberle should be exposed to expansion think that a guy with 3goals and no assists in 13 games should be a lock on the 1line.

Aren’t you too high on Foo? His offense seems comparable to Caggiula.

11. Pescador says:

Good morning LT, all.
    I like Patrick Eaves, is he still too expensive if Chiarelli can find a way to offload Pouliot?
    I have Slepyshev on my second line with Draisaitl & Lucic.
    With his speed and plus shot he will score 12-15 next season after he “figures it out”,
    Playing Draisaitl on the second line eliminates the need to overpay for an oft injured Hanzal, doesn’t solve the teams faceoff problems though. Leon’s improvement is the key, I think he will do just that.
    Trading Eberle away will make me sad, but once the news of Sekera’s injury came out it sealed his fate. The Oilers need help on Defence & his production is replaceable.

12. Brantford Boy says:

I know in ‘ALL’ our opinions Eberle had a down year and the numbers clearly show it. There were moments in the playoffs that we probably threw our arms up and asked what are you doing, but, there were other games that I saw battle in #14 that I hadn’t seen in him, maybe ever. I’ve wanted to post the following food for thought for most of the season, I think its a good time.

I think we all look at Nuge, Eberle, Lucic etc. boxcars and think the sky is falling. Sometimes I wonder if this is the new NHL. Although as fans we love to see goals, personally I think there is way less of them in todays game (5 goals in Sens/Pens double OT in the east, wtf???). Those ‘less goals’ need to come off some players books and this year clearly those 3 players we can red circle as being ‘problems’. Nuge and Lucic bring other acumen to the table (two-way, swagger), while we look at Eberle and have to ask, besides scoring what does he bring. I think this lack of scoring is really league wide. Beside some incredible performances (Crosby, of course, Laine, Matthews, several others) I noticed a tapering from scoring from significant players (Ovi, Kopitar etc.). Not one player hit 50 goals, in fact it stops at 40 if you omit Crosby.

I guess what I’m trying to spew here is 40 goals is the new 50. 90 points in the new 100+. The game has changed considerably. Eberle had 20 goals, is that the old 30? Eberle knows hes on the hot seat. I have always liked this player so I maybe bias, I count on him to turn it around, if he’s still around. There were many who had down years in boxcars but we turned the team GF/GA to ridiculous numbers in one year, that’s team play, and Eberle played on that team. I put my money on Ebs to raise us from our seats many times in the coming season.

Go Oilers! Cheers!

13. Pescador says:

Rondo:

Something something leopard something spots

14. Thinker says:

Pescador:
    Good morning LT, all.
    For me trading Jordan Eberle has little to do with needing 25 goals in the regular season. It has everything to do with needing a top 6 forward in the playoffs who can help the team push through to the next level.Helping this club move the dial in the post season 2018 is about more then scoring a couple of goals, Now is the time to augment this young core with a veteran winger with playoff experience.
    I have Slepyshev on my second line with Draisaitl & Lucic.

A lot of Eberle’s problems stem from how young and untrustworthy the team is defensively. That pushed him into a role that doesn’t suit his skillset, and one that was foreign to him. If you can make a hockey deal for him, that’s one thing, but trading him for crap so that unproven mediocre can take his spot is just stupid.

15. JDI says:

Crosby and Karlsson. Class.

16. JDI says:

Now that’s cap management:

CapFriendly‏ @CapFriendly

Despite exceeding the $73M ceiling for most of 2016-17 & finishing with $0 in c/space, the #Ducks will NOT have an overage for next season.

17. dustrock says:

Puljujarvi might be Paajarvi. Might take longer than we hope.

He’s got great wheels, a strong body, and he can get his shot off. He’ll become a useful player, just remains to be seen whether he’s 1RW, 2RW, or 3RW.

18. Bag of Pucks says:

Suspect Chia still views Pitlick as a contender in that RW depth chart as well.

19. Justthestatsman says:

I know Eberle didn’t have a great playoff run and a goal or two from him could have been very beneficial. I think we need to be careful about sample size. I’ll cherry pick from the “olden days” of 1988. Geoff Courtnall came over at the trade deadline. He was a pretty good scorer even accounting for the higher scoring of the era. He had 36 goals in the regular season and managed a paltry 3 assists in 19 games on the run to the cup. He potted 42 goals the next season with Washington, and finished his career with 109 points in 156 playoff games.

I couldn’t tell you who Courtnall played with on the Oilers for the playoffs, I expect our host could. Obviously the Oilers of 1988 had the depth that Courtnall’s performance wasn’t an issue. Eberle may or may not be the right guy for us for a 1 or 2 RW to win the cup, I don’t think we can know. Winning the cup requires getting to the playoffs first and I think Eberle’s 20-25 goals in an off-year is going to help get there. My preference is not to trade Eberle for 10 cents on his now deflated dollar value if we’re not sure where his 20 goals are going to come from.

jjmclean:

I think Knoblauch would be the favorite, but that’s just based on Bob’s tweets/comments. I do think the Oilers need a coach who will play the kids. I don’t like to wish ill on anyone, but for me it has been a long time since Edmonton had a coach who pushed the kids down there.

Thinker:

Aren’t you too high on Foo? His offense seems comparable to Caggiula.

If they sign Foo, suspect he will receive the Caggiula treatment. Meaning all year on the roster and a chance to play something resembling a substantial role.

22. J-Bo says:

I think there are a couple key factors to whether Eberle is traded:
    1. Does Chiarelli see Hanzal as his ideal long term 3C and can he sign him?
    2. Is Chiarelli able to offload Pouliot/Fayne before free agency?
    I hope we are able to keep Eberle. If we are hoping for a true cup run then regardless of his playoffs this year, Eberle has more value then any possible replacement on the wing. However, I agree with some of the commentors here that Chiarelli may see this as a better year to move a bigger contract. If Chiarelli can find a way to have LV take Pouliot then I think Eberle will stay. I do think it is a real possibility as Edmonton’s other expansion exposed options aren’t that exciting. Consider for instance the Ducks. McPhee would have to be a complete and utter fool to give them a work around deal if they don’t do some trading before the expansion draft. However, the Oilers best assets for LV are not the ones being exposed. I think it is primed for a contract dump here, that we will see It, and that Eberle will not be moved.

23. jtblack says:

DBO,

-Let him up his play, – Flashback. Remember at the start of last season. This same sentiment was preached by some. Eberle has a shooting coach, Eberle is going to score 40. Do not sell low. Everytime people look at a possible trade, they assume the optimistic, rebound season for the outgoing player. Yakupov … Pouliot .. A lot of times, these players do not have better seasons. LT showed a realistic approach to Ebs next season, 20 G 30 A guy, just like last year.

If he goes gangbusters, great, but that is what almost everybody predicted last year. Offense has fallen off for Ebs and RNH because TMac makes the accountable on the defensive side of the puck. When Ebs and RNH had their good offensive years, it was done on horrific teams where they could play one way only, put up points, but not help the team win …

Given the new defensive accountability demanded by Tmac, I do not see Ebs having an excellent offensive season.

24. jtblack says:

Thinker,

How come Oilers nation makes excuses for the old Guard … – A lot of Eberle’s problems stem from how young and untrustworthy the team is defensively. That pushed him into a role that doesn’t suit his skillset –

Is that so. what are the excuses for McD and Drai and Maroon and Talbot. Oh we do not make excuses for them, they just deliver the goods. But when we referred to yakupov, or now Pouliot, RNH and Ebs, there is always an excuse.

The reality is that the Oilers were a 103 point team DESPITE excuses for players dragging us down. The Oilers got to Game 7 of the 2nd Round DESPITE Ebs and RNH playoff performance. If RNH and Ebs could have combined for maybe 3 goals, this team is probably still playing …

Connor struggled, was tackled every minute and put up 9 points. Eberle had softer minutes against ANA (really soft) and couldnt sniff the net.

Eberle has value. He is a one dimensional 20 G 30 A guy. This is valuable. But lets stop making excuses for a smaller, slower player and why he cannot meet our optimistic view of what he should be.

25. digger50 says:

I have Marroon and Kassian as equal players. If pushed I would give the edge to Kassian.

One is on the top line, the other the bottom line. Difference is? Simply opportunity in my opinion. Marroon seized his opportunity. And the formula seems to work, that is a skilled pair with a big net front presence.

I know, I know I already said it, but I think if you switch the skill to the left and the big body to the right you get Nuge, Connor and Kassian.

Not on a big push for this, just sayin!

26. Moose says:

LeBrun reporting Jan Rutta could decide this weekend between 6 NHL offers.

Strickland reporting he’s leaning towards signing with Chicago.

27. Ribs says:

I haven’t seen anyone propose anything better than Eberle so far. I think holding tight with him might be the smart play here as well. Hopefully he finds another gear over the summer and that’s the end of it. I also hope the fans can get off his back as well. I don’t want to see him get Lupul’ed to death. He doesn’t deserve that.

28. jtblack says:

Another thought: why do most people believe we are selling low on Ebs. I think what PC is seeing, is what is the market place for a 20G RW … that is what Ebs is … And if traded, the value is what the marketplace suggests .. Oilers Nation may have this certain view of Ebs, but I bet dollars to something that the other 30 GMs are in no hurry to pay a ransom for Eberle and have never been.

He is a useful player. But Wingers are the least impactful position and offer the least value as trade bait.

The 2nd thought is everyone says, lets bring Ebs back so he can really score and then sell high. The problem with this is: can you imagine if Eberle has 32 Goals by the trade deadline next year and then PC moved him … Oiler nation would scream from the roof tops, how can you trade a guy who was gonna hit 40. and if he was gonna hit 40, would you really want to trade him …

I think the sell low logic, is simply a way of not wanting Ebs traded ever, whether he has just scored 20 Goals and Hammers home 40. And that is ok, but I would shy away from the narrative that if he bounces back and has a great season next year, that it is ok to trade him then.

29. Pescador says:

Thinker: Slepyshev nor Caggiula is good enough to put there. Neither of them should be bet on. They aren’t proven, and may fade badly in their sophmore year. Ideally you want another top 6RW in additon to Eberle. That is addressed if you move Draisaitl over and bring in that righty 3C. There is a hole in the top 6 right now. There is no internal fix save JP, and if you want to be a contender, you don’t make that bet.

Slepyshev is good enough for 2RW, I’ll defer to the head coach on this.
    I said nothing of Caggiula, but since your asking I would slot him at 3RW.
    I didn’t mention Puljujarvi but I would start him in Bakersfield unless he can win the 3RW out of training camp.
    Eberle’s problem was his inconsistent compete level in the playoffs, which was the entire thrust of my post.
    I never suggested he should be traded for crap, I’m suggesting a second pairing Dman, preferably RH.
    If you want to comment on my post that is cool, next time read it for comprehension before you do.
    Your opinion is different from mine, but I would never call it stupid just because I disagree with it.

30. jtblack says:

As far as JP … Few 19 yr olds contribute much … I am on the LT train, proceed with caution. We know he will get some time with McD, if he can produce his whole year may go well (more #1PP time) … but if he starts slow or plays more 3rd line RW and limited, 2nd Unit PP, him getting 20 is a stretch …

If Ebs is traded, I think the Oilers should bring in an Eaves, Vrbata, Sharp type …

31. highgloveside says:

Rondo:

But is he? He might be, but he might not be. Nobody will know until he is in the playoffs again. The difficulty for Eberle is to be successful in the playoffs, he needs to make vast changes to how he plays the game, not just experience makes him better. If he doesn’t implement those changes, will will not get better.

32. highgloveside says:

Woogie63:

Elite Tournaments – games played

Spengler – 5
    WJC U 18 – 13
    WJC U 20 – 14 (captain one year)
    Other – 37

Pro Hockey – games played

MHL – 15
    AHL – 58
    KHL – 159
    NHL – 52
    NHL Play-offs 13

Total seasons as a pro -6

This guys should be counted on to play a top 6 role.

Nobody should be counted on playing a top 6 role if they have not proven they have the offense to impact the top 6. Sleppy shows the skills but has not produced any offense close to what is expected as a top 6 forward. I would not start him any higher than 3rd line until he starts putting the puck in the net and he hasn’t shown the ability to score 18 goals a season.

33. gogliano says:

Jordan:
    Morning gents (edit: and ladies!).

You’re right in that you don’t need to trade Eberle.But, the problem is that if the stanley window is open now and you are keeping Eberle, then you are betting on his performance in this playoffs as been one driven by an unsustainably low shooting percentage.It’s not a bad bet to make, but if they make it to the big show again next year, and it’s the same story, then he becomes much more difficult to move to a team that is already making it into the playoffs.

Asset value-wise, it’s probably the right call – don’t sell low.

But, at the same time there’s a lot of opportunity to make significant moves this off-season because of the expansion draft and the new dollars available to be spent.In my mind, it will be easier to move him without retaining salary this year.Which is a bigger concern moving forward.

Therefore, I would be trading him, and looking outside the organization for a volume RS volume shooter to replace him.Vrbata would be my choice due to perceived cost on a 1-year and the opportunity to cash in the following year after playing some of the season with Connor, but I think the slow boots will have them looking somewhere else.

I’m of the same mind. Eberle should at least be on the market to see if you can get something close to fair value for him. We won’t have the same luxury of patience next year if all of the 6 million dollar men are still on the books. And all signs point to this year being a bull market for trades.

34. Rondo says:

highgloveside,

He was better than Lucic in the playoffs.

35. jtblack says:

Rondo,

And this is the problem. PC is probably saying the same thing to 30 other GMs … because other than excuses, which GMs do not buy, Ebs does not have much of a Stat Line to back him up .. So PC will have to say, well he was better than our other crappy performers … Sure to get a haul for him with this logic

36. Rondo says:

jtblack,

No, it is your logic that is flawed, where did I say anything about his trading value.

37. GCW_69 says:

I think if there is an Eberle for Strome deal on the table with Arizona you have to take it. The cap is going to force the team to trade Nuge eventually and having D. Stome coming up behind him would be a good thing.

For the big club, players like Ryan Strome, Hudler, and Parenteau represent reasonable stop gaps to fill the top nine.

The other bonus of that trade is it would allow the team to trade for a top four defender without having to expose a key forward. Would the Oilers first get them a defender from NYI or for example.

38. leadfarmer says:

LT I think you and I are the only ones that really like Petterson. His size is going to make him drop. If somehow he drops to us you have to shoot for the moon

39. hags9k says:

I can’t see Nuge being used by TMac in a soft minutes role. I also think he puts Leon at 1RW at the first sign of trouble.

Unless he rips it up with 97 right out of the gate in fall, JP may not get the vet center and soft minutes unless we bring in a Hanzal or similar.

40. Glass says:

I think the idea behind trading Eberle is that we’ll be able to sign a veteran RW to a stop gap deal to replace him. There are plenty available. I wouldn’t put my money on Puljujarvi breaking out next season (he could probably play in a sheltered role).

41. Centre of attention says:

I like your final roster concept there Lowetide and I agree perhaps we have a veteran right-shot C/W added rather than a bunch of youngsters.

Brian Little for young LHD+picks float anyones boat here?

Little has injury concerns but when healthy he’s a great second line forward. Has played center as well as RW. Injury factor could mean price is reduced.

Just an idea.

Maybe if you’re not concerned about handedness and want more of a center, Perreault has some fantastic underlying numbers and may be available due to expansion concerns in Winnipeg. IMO they should keep the lefty Perreault and trade Little because Perre’ is a great left-shot passer, who will be feeding Laine one timers on the PP if they play their cards right.

Again, all speculation.

42. pocession charge says:

Rondo:
    highgloveside,

He was better than Lucic in the playoffs.

What metric are you basing your statement on? Lucic wasn’t very good but he didn’t put up a 0-0-0. He also wasn’t scared to take a hit to make a play. I know you referenced small sample sizes but 13 games without a point (playoffs or regular season) is ugly for a second line player.

43. Rondo says:

leadfarmer:
    LT I think you and I are the only ones that really like Petterson.His size is going to make him drop.If somehow he drops to us you have to shoot for the moon

Aside from Bob Mckenzie who ranks him #11 the Draft analyst #6 and Craig Buttons has him #9.

44. Scungilli Slushy says:

I suppose if they sign Foo they’ll have to give him guaranteed NHL games. Maybe that’s what it takes to replenish the system at this point, but it’s far from ideal given the core players are so young and he’s a small player so bottom 6 might be a challenge for him.

ideally all the young guys at this point should have to push their way from the AHL onto the team and the team should have the best available players on it, so that they can win now and going forward.

Normally the off seasons are disappointing outside of the draft with the lack of changes around the league, this one might be a dandy. At this point I have confidence that Chiarelli’s moves will help more than they hurt. Don’t prove me wrong Pete!

45. Scungilli Slushy says:

Rondo: Aside fromBob Mckenzie who ranks him #11the Draft analyst #6and Craig Buttons has him #9.

46. Rondo says:

Scungilli Slushy: Given this draft is lacking clear top players, we might see some interesting slides, maybe the OIlers can pick up a high talent kid for down the road when the cap forces deals.

There seems to be a consensus of 9 players in the top 10 in most of the reliable mocks. After that who knows.

47. Woogie63 says:

highgloveside,

1 OV pick in KHL, done his time learning the defensive side of the puck. Playing with skill will make him better. Yards ahead of the next RW option.

Centre of attention:

Brian Little for young LHD+picks float anyones boat here?

Just an idea.

Again, all speculation.

49. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I like the idea of that trade in theory, don’t know that the Jets would give him up.

I agree he does have a bit of a emotional connection to the franchise, being one of the few old Thrashers carry-overs and part of their leadership core.

The only reason I think its plausible is because they have some forwards who are vulnerable, due to them probably having to go 4-4-1 in expansion. Combine that with Little’s injury history and their need for Left-shot D-men and maybe, just maybe there’s a chance.

Also they had a frankly disappointing season and I’m sure there’s heat on Chevy to do something. Maybe a shake up of the old guard is in order? I’m probably dreaming.

PS:
    Little’s name was thrown out there by Bob at one point, quite awhile ago though now. Not sure of the context of the convo but it was out there.

50. Centre of attention says:

Allan Walsh represents Jan Rutta.

Other notable clients of Allan’s:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    Leon Draisaitl
    Andrej Sekera
    Tyler Pitlick
    Kyle Platzer

Not trying to imply anything here just sharing my research.

Source: http://www.octagon.com/talent/hockey

51. Klima's_Bucket says:

Gregg Allman gone. Age 69, RIP.

52. Centre of attention says:

Klima’s_Bucket:

Gregg Allman gone. Age 69, RIP.

Yeah just saw that on twitter, definitely listening to some Allmans tonight in his memory.

53. JDI says:

Klima’s_Bucket: Gregg Allman gone.

54. trencan says:

I wouldnt play Puljujarva on bottom 6 line. It doesnt make sense to me because I see him as TOP 6 winger in the future. Continue his development in AHL on top line (he will need support by someone like Lander this season) and call him to Oilers when he will be ready for his TOP6 role. I believe in him, he can be big player who can drive his line, but he needs more time for development. Many of you probably judge him based on his numbers on WHC U20 and had high expectations, but he is not sniper/goalscorer. He is more like playmaker and very responsible in defense. I see him as 50/60 point player per season (without 97), just try to be patient with him. I prefer him over Laine because he can be the type of player who can make other players around him better. Snipers for me are mostly one dimensional players with superego character who need other players to make them better. If you trade him it will be big mistake (Satan version#2). But this is just my opinion.

Strome + Halak for Eberle makes sense to me, you can still find another UFA veteran winger (Versteeg?) It is very likely Islanders will go with 4F+4D into expansion draft with Strome unprotected, so there is also chance to make similar deal with Las Vegas. I would trade Eb this season because next season every GM will know we will be in salary cap hell and the price of some players (Eb+RNH) can be even lower than today.

Rutta – This guy is mystery also in his home country, you can find sooner and more information about him on twitter than on czech websites. What surprised me last weeks is the fact, that there is still higher chance to sign a contract from european leagues with lower reputation (Sulak from EBEL league to Detroit). Maybe we will see more and more signings of this type because of the salary cap limitation in NHL.

I dont know if Oilers hired new fitness coach or physio before this season but healthy roster was key factor of this year succes in my opinion. And I also think it is very curious to repeat this situation every season. There is thin line between succes and failure. Loosing one/two key players for longer time and we are back in 2015/16 season. So especially depth is very important in this case for us. Sorry for my english.

55. Professor Q says:

How many more can Edmonton sign?

I know we talk about Foo, Dadonov, and now this Rutta fellow, but they’ve also signed quite a few in the past month or so, and not from their main roster. Would it even be reasonable to try for those (which they seem to be doing), more NCAA players, and some NHL FAs?

Unless trades are jndeed being prepared for, just in case…

56. leadfarmer says:

They’re finally jumping on the bandwagon

57. Centre of attention says:

leadfarmer: They’re finally jumping on the bandwagon

I’m currently accepting applicants for my “the Oilers should trade for Bryan Little” bandwagon, would you like to sign up?

The only condition is that you must flood all your social media accounts with talk of him being traded here. This is how these things get started, you know. Grass roots efforts and such.

🙂

58. Scungilli Slushy says:

Many talented players get into the leqgue, but circumstance, personalities and luck play a big part in a player’s success beyond their native abilities and effort.

I think Slep can become an excellent Chiarelli top six winter because he has speed to spare, size, is aggressive, and has an excellent shot.

The thing is reps. He isn’t going to be given 3-4 seasons to figure it out as the Austins were. They scored but had their asses handed to them at th end of the day. I’m not saying they were handled well, I’m saying that many players could establish well given that many minutes and opportunities.

There are some really nice young players on the team, but they would need an extended run to get it down. I think Slepy and JP have a higher ceiling than Eberle because they have a bigger tool kit. That may not happen for them, depends on the brass.

59. Scungilli Slushy says:

I’ll add that part of the steady decline in Eberles and Nuges scoring beyond usage as they take on more, is that in the best league in the world teams figure out player’s tendencies and take them away.

For Connor that happened soon be because he is so devastating. The great players adapt. Leon as well will be targeted specifically. They can get past it and it usually involves getting more aggressive and fighting to the scoring areas.

60. Thinker says:

I think Ethan Bear could make the team. Doesn’t mean it isn’t stupid to pencil him in above his head. Slepyshev is 23, and has never scored more than 25 points in a season in any league (or combination of leagues). You can make as many excuses as you want, putting him in the top 6 is a poor bet if you want to win the cup. I like the guy, and think he could maybe play there one day, but the hype surrounding him and caggiula is insane. Puljujarvi was putting up points at basically the exact same pace as the two of them, but we are disappointed with him, and considering a trade. Not to mention they are both old as dirt as far as prospects go.

I’m not trying to be a dick, but can we please be a little more realistic with these young guys who barely posted any offence?

61. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m sorry but how can you possibly reconcile asking others to be realistic about the Oilers younger players in the same post when you think Ethan Bear can make the team.

There is a 0.0004001000% chance that Bear is an Oiler in October and not much more of a chance that he plays an NHL game this year.

Very good prospect but just that, a prospect – he is about to be a first year pro d-man and will likely need a couple full years in the AHL until he’s ready to compete for an every day NHL job.

He may never be an every day NHL player.

To be realistic is to hope that one of Bear, Jones, Paigin are able to become a full time NHL player for the Oiler in a few years.

Thinker:
    I think Ethan Bearcould make the team. Doesn’t mean it isn’t stupid to pencil him in above his head. Slepyshev is 23, and has never scored more than 25 points in a season in any league (or combination of leagues). You can make as many excuses as you want, putting him in the top 6 is a poor bet if you want to win the cup. I like the guy, and think he could maybe play there one day, but the hype surrounding him and caggiula is insane. Puljujarvi was putting up points at basically the exact same pace as the two of them, but we are disappointed with him, and considering a trade. Not to mention they are both old as dirt as far as prospects go.

63. Woogie63 says:

Thinker,

Bryan Rust and Jake Guentzal say hello

64. Professor Q says:

And let’s all hope for a good recovery and return of Pitlick!

Although more likely that Slepy takes his place…

65. Thinker says:

Lowetide: This blog doesn’t work that way. If you want to make statements like this, and have people consider them, you have to back it up with more. The three young forwards brought some offense, and if you check history that’s what young players do on their way to establishing themselves. It’s true. Honest.

I’m not saying they won’t develop. I’m saying the Slepyshev in the top6 next year as has been touted by several posters, is a dumb statement, and is something Tambellini would have done.

Thinker: I’m not saying they won’t develop. I’m saying the Slepyshev in the top6 next year as has been touted by several posters,is a dumb statement, and is something Tambellini would have done.

why is it dumb?

67. JDI says:

Thinker: and is something Tambellini would have done.

A big, fast, right-shot winger with decent hands and a heavy shot, getting time to play with talent, is a bad idea? He’s played pro hockey for a few seasons now, and was a 1OV draft pick in the KHL.

Then there was the winger who scored 26 goals in 202 games with his old team. He was a big left-shot winger with decent hands and a good shot, but not particularly fast. He has 35 goals in 97 regular season games, playing with 97.

I’m not saying to count on Slepy chipping in 25 this coming season, but all the ingredients are there and it would be stoopid not to try it.

I think you need to reacquaint yourself with the genius that was Tambellini:

68. theres oil in virginia says:

JDI: Chris Cornell, Roger Moore, Mary Tyler Moore, Don Rickles, Joanie, Chuck Berry, Richard Hatch, John Hurt, Butch Trucks, Tony Rosato… SCREW YOU 2016!

Caught in a time warp?

69. Thinker says:

Here’s the list of RW who are second on the depth chart of a playoff team. Which ones are Slepyshev better than?

Ryan Spooner-
    Bobby Ryan
    Patrick Hornqvist
    Joel Ward
    Dmitrij Jaskin
    William Nylander
    Justin Williams

My answer would be maybe brouwer, Jaskin and joel ward who are the the only players who didn’t score roughly half a point per game. Ryan and Gallagher were a little short of half a ppg, but are proven and had down seasons. Eyeballing the rest of the league is about the same.

Tobias Reider
    Sam Reinhart
    Elias Lindholm
    Mikko Rantanen
    Brett Richie
    Andreas Anthanaiou
    Thomas Vanek
    Marian Gaborik
    Beau Bennett
    Josh Bailey
    Wayne Simmonds
    Ryan Callahan
    Jayson Megna
    Parick Laine

At best you could say that with Slepyshev as number 2 RW on the team you are in the bottom quarter of the league at the position. This is why Jordan Eberle is so important. If Draisaitl plays center than we need a 2nd line RW, and if he plays RW, we need a 3C.

Only Mcdavid is better with Slepyshev than without, but that was only 21 minutes.

This is the list of rw who scored between 0.2 and 0.3 ppg in their rookie season between 2012 and 2015 seasons with at least 30 games played, and what they did in the following year.

JT Brown 9 pts in 52 games
    Tobias Rieder 37 pts in 82 games
    Brett Ritchie 24 pts in 78 games
    Jimmy Hayes back to the AHL for 2.5 seasons
    JT Wyman back to the AHL
    Matt Frattin back to the AHL
    Devante Smith-Pelly back to the AHL
    Richard Panik 17 pts in 76 games
    Reilly Smith 51 pts in 82 games
    Jesper Fast 30 pts in 79 games
    Corey Tropp back to the farm
    Zack Kassian 29 pts in 73 games
    Brett Connolly back to the AHL
    Dennis Everberg back to the AHL
    Barclay Goodrow back to the AHL

So only 2 players were basically in that half a ppg range of a 2nd line NHL RW. Both were actually a similar age believe it or not. I still don’t think that counting on a development of slepyshev into a top 6 RW next year is a solid bet.

Again, I hate to be so negative on a prospect I actually really like. This is basically in response to the move Eberle, and slepyshev can replace him comments. I do think Slepyshev fits a a 3RW, maybe 4RW, and he may see a little time with the top two lines when the Macblender comes out, but if he is top 2 in your depth chart, you are gonna have a bad time.

Thinker: Excellent, that’s solid work. Slepyshev played an average of 11 minutes a night, does that compare with these names? His 5×5/60 scoring last year was 1.34, is that good? Did he play with good offensive players or lesser lights?

71. JDI says:

theres oil in virginia: Caught in a time warp?

Making fun of the Killer 2016 meme.

72. theres oil in virginia says:

JDI: Making fun of the Killer 2016 meme.

Aaaaahhh. 2016 keeps killing from beyond the grave.

73. Ranford.85 says:

I just posted on there about liking what I saw from Slepyshev.
    Long time reader, first time writer, so thanks for the years of articles.

I believe that with McDavid, Drai, RNH and Letestu at center, we go with farm grown kids/other centers on the wing. Left wing is taken care and takes up more cap space, especially if Maroon is re signed. Fill our RW with complimentary players like Kassian, Slepy, Pitlick or additional centers (3C) Spend that $ on the defense and come trade deadline, pick up a proven RW for cheap for a run a the cup.

Jesse will be a great option sooner or later… preferably sooner.

Eberle to me is a goner, which sucks, but as long as we get to spend some time with Lord Stanley’s cup.

74. Chicken Laser says:

Where is Pitlick in your hypothetical lineups? Not good enough or injured?

Also want to say that I think there isn’t enough talk in the pundit world of loosing Slepyshev in the expansion (if he’s vulnreable. I don’t know exactly who is vulnerable admittedly). I think he’ll be pretty darn good and a perfect value roster guy.

Chicken Laser:
    Where is Pitlick in your hypothetical lineups? Not good enough or injured?

Pitlick would be welcome but I don’t think he’s certain to return. The Pakarinen signing is mostly an expansion item but could also block him. Pitlick may also see Puljujarvi, Slepyshev and Caggiula as roster threats (and they are). Pitlick may seek a better situation.

Slepyshev is not available to Vegas as an expansion player. They could trade for him, however.