AWAY FROM THE NUMBERS

It was a busy news day yesterday and that should continue through the next several weeks. The cap could be anywhere from $73 million (tight) to $77 million (room to wheel) if the NHLPA uses the retro rockets. That’s good news for Oilers fans and sets up summer in a more promising manner.

CHIARELLI’S SUMMER LIST

1. Get Connor McDavid signed to a long-term contract. (Five years times ??)
  2. Get Leon Draisaitl signed to a long-term contract. ($7.5 million times 8?)
  3. Negotiate the expansion draft rapids (Reinhart, Khaira, Letestu. Brossoit)
  4. Find a second pairing D with two-way acumen. (Shattenkirk, Hamonic, Pysyk)
  5. Find a short term solution to Sekera injury (Brian Campbell)
  6. Find a forward who can help the offense. (Hanzal, Strome)
  7. Make enough cap room to get everyone in under the number with enough room to spare for the trade deadline.

I’ve deleted Benoit Pouliot’s trade or buyout, because it may not be necessary. The extra cap may allow the Oilers to keep BP this season and buy him out next summer. It also gives the veteran a chance to establish himself again as a viable option. If Chiarelli still wants to buy him out, that can happen too. The $77 million dollar cap opens up all kinds of options.

I also threw Kevin Shattenkirk in there as a possible, although that’s a distant bell at this point. It’s very encouraging to contemplate this team with a $77 million mission cap.

POSSIBLE ASSETS OUT

1. Jordan Eberle
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  3. Jesse Puljujarvi
  4. No. 22 overall
  5. Caleb Jones
  6. 2018 first-round selection
  7. Anton Slepyshev
  8. Jujhar Khaira

The increased cap room also relaxes the need to send away one of the veterans for cap purposes. Peter Chiarelli could run with a roster similar to last season and then load up at the deadline. If he needs to send assets out, the reason (this season) can be strictly team building and not cap short and long term. Still has to be mindful about dollars in starting 2018 fall, but the immediate window is more promising at $77 million.

Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved.

NHL COMBINE LIST

There are 103 names published and they are here. I have Corey Pronman’s list, but it is paywall so we can’t use it to see how many players are out of range. I haven’t seen another Top 100 so far, so will use my list from earlier in the month (it is here). Here are the invites who are not on my Top 100.

• No. 101: G Maxim Zhukov, Green Bay Gamblers (USHL). Solid .912SP.
  • No. 103: L Joel Teasdale, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL). Smart, skilled, good speed.
  • No. 109: RD Filip Westerlund, Frolunda (SHL). Impressive passing skills, some chaos on D.
  • No. 110: RD Luke Martin, Michigan (NCAA). Big, mobile defender plays intelligent game. Not a lot of buzz.
  • No. 111: LD Antoine Crete-Belzile, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL). Two-way defender, injury issues.
  • No. 112: LD David Farrance, USNDTP (USHL). Mobile, clever D, undersized. Rising.
  • No. 113: G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, HPK (Jr. Sm-Liiga). Impressive size and good results.

I don’t think that’s too far astern for any of these guys. I can tell you there are three or four new names on my final 150, but none of the names are included among the Combine invites. The list continues.

• No. 133: LD Nate Knoepke, USNDTP (USHL). Two-way defender with good size.
  • No. 134: LD Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (OHL). Giant defenseman, two-way type.
  • No. 147: R Lane Zablocki, Regina Pats (OHL). Two-way W with skill, kind of a throwback player.
  • NR: LD Kasper Kotkansalo, Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL). Two-way D is talented but raw.
  • NR: LC Kale Howarth, Trail Smoke Eaters (BCHL). Big center (6.05) with skill.
  • NR: R D’Artagnan Joly, Baie-Comeau Drakker (QMJHL). Creative winger with speed and size, could surprise.
  • NR: LD Jacob Paquette, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL). Shutdown defender, has a mean streak. Mobile.
  • NR: G Ian Scott, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL). Highly ranked goalie, .893.
  • NR: LD Ben Mirageas, Chicago Steel (USHL). I don’t have much on him.
  • NR: G Stuart Skinner, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL). .905SP. Big man.
  • NR: LD Jarret Tyszka, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL). Big, mobile shut down defender.
  • NR: LD Tyler Inamoto, USNDTP (USHL). He is a mobile 6.02, 196 defender.
  • NR: RD Tommy Miller, USNDTP (USHL). He is 6.02, 176, good speed, two-way defender.
  • NR: G Dayton Rasmussen, Chicago Steel (USHL). Impressive season. EP loves him.
  • NR: G Cayden Primeau, Lincoln Stars (USHL). Highly touted goalie. .897SP.

20 players on the Combine List didn’t make my list and I think that reflects the range of opinions this year. Plenty of goalies and defensive defenseman at the Combine, so that adds to the difference between the two lists. The players on my list who did not make the invite list are mostly overages and that’s understandable. The only player I didn’t cover (in the league-by-league looks) is Benjamin Mirageas. Pierre Lebrun reported that Peter Chiarelli and the Oilers spoke to 20 prospects yesterday. I plan on posting my final list on June 1, still deciding morning or afternoon.

OFFER SHEETS

Lots of chatter about offer sheets these days, I don’t see the Oilers getting hit with it and I certainly don’t see the team doing one. Edmonton has Leon Draisaitl somewhat vulnerable (plan is to sign after July 1) but the Oilers matching even an extreme OS seems extremely likely. Here is the compensation table:

If Montreal sent an OS of $10 million times eight years, Edmonton would match it. That would put them in a tough spot moving forward (McDavid’s number will be dear, even if only for five years) but the team would match it.

INTERNAL ANSWERS

The Sekera injury is a giant problem for Peter Chiarelli. A quick and fairly easy fix would be signing Brian Campbell, but Edmonton may not be in his plans. I think there are two main reasons why Kris Russell will be signed in the coming weeks:

1. Todd McLellan likes what he brings and Russell’s skills are something the organization values.
  2. Russell can play either side and gives McLellan five returnees from last year’s top six.

This isn’t ideal, and not what I would prefer, but I do think this is a reasonable bet on what will happen this summer. If the Oilers sign Russell, the defense comes into view both opening night and down the line. Coaches like certainty on defense, and a good guess is that Todd McLellan believes in Kris Russell. Pretty sure.

Darnell Nurse and Matt Benning were a solid pairing a year ago, suspect they will be broken up and one of them will play with Russell second pairing. Among candidates (internally) for the third pair: Griffin Reinhart, Mark Fayne, Eric Gryba, Jordan Oesterle, Dillon Simpson, Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear. I hope we see a trade with the Florida Panthers, that would make a lot of sense right now. This Jan Rutta fellow is also a player of interest.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A full boat today, lots of hockey talk and some football thrown in too. 10 this morning, TSN1260:

• Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation. Does the increased cap room mean Pouliot stays? Shattenkirk is in play? What would Jon do with the walking around money?
  • Darrin Bauming, TSN1290 Winnipeg. Darrin has a brand new show and it looks at the entire CFL. We’ll talk about the plan.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. Scott will tell me what in the hell I saw last night.
  • Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst. We’ll chat about the combine and what the Oilers might have available at No. 22 overall.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

50 Responses to "AWAY FROM THE NUMBERS"

1. dustrock says:

You’d think if the NHL GMs were nastier with each other, someone might offer sheet Draisaitl just to drive up the overall team salaries and handcuff the Oilers.

I remember Doug Wilson offer sheeting I think Hjalmarsson, and then when Hawks matched, he signed Niemi, because the Hawks couldn’t afford him.

2. Stud Muffin says:

Leon would have to sign that offersheet which I don’t see him wanting to leave here.

How about offersheeting Pastrnak, he would fit in perfect with this team.

3. sumaclab says:

I could see New Jersey making an offer sheet. Why. Still pissed at us for the Hall trade. Montreal. Need. Absolutely need a LD type of player. It could be a monster move.

4. JJS says:

As you suggest, my hope is the Sekera injury doesn’t change the summer defense plan too much.

Continue to focus on acquiring a strong RH puck mover with wheels.

Fill the Sekera void internally.

When he returns, we have a great group to push deep into the spring.

It really is an exciting year as we can see the pot of gold and have the key pieces in place (minus the aforementioned RHD).

5. JustWatt says:

To go with the Brian Campbell idea of a short term stop-gap for Sekera, what about Big Z on a one year? Or does he have one year left? Good idea or bad?

Edit: To be clear I’m talking about Chara.

6. dustrock says:

Stud Muffin:

How about offersheeting Pastrnak, he would fit in perfect with this team.

True. I’m talking something like an 8 year, $10m/year offer sheet. Enough to make him blink.

In the NBA, it’s expected and encouraged for players to seek the max. I get there isn’t the same belief in the NHL, but if I’m Leon and his family, and you’re presented with a max contract, you’d have to think about it.

7. geowal says:

Personally, I wouldn’t replace Sekera. Get a 2nd pair RD, let Nurse play with him (unless Oesterle is on the team), and let the leftorium play the 3rd pair. Agree there will be some youth chaos there, but Sekera could be not that long. Internal solutions especially make sense if Reinhart isn’t taken by Vegas.

To believe in internal options, you simply have to believe this team is good enough to be sitting in a playoff spot without Sekera. I do. Make the push up when he returns/deadline.

8. Scungilli Slushy says:

Stud Muffin:

How about offersheeting Pastrnak, he would fit in perfect with this team.

Exactly. Unless he’s really greedy why would he sign a sheet?

I don’t get why so many are into offer sheets. They are toxic even if you win a player doing that, you are overpaying for sure and giving up a boatload of picks. As speeds says a capped league is a contest of efficiency. Not many players cover that bet.

Not to mention that when you swim with the same 29 guys every day for years and years, peeing in the pool will have you dog paddling in the corner alone pretty quickly.

9. geowal says:

sumaclab:

Why would Jersey be pissed. A one for one trade, without a lot of mystery about either player. Do you think Edmonton deceived them?

10. TO10801 says:

geowal,

I think you replace him if a suitable/affordable option is available. If you could sign Campbell to a one year deal then Sekera would be your trade deadline addition on D. Either way it would be nice to have some cover for Nurse/Benning.

11. Cassandra says:

A higher cap is either neutral or bad for Edmonton.

Proposition #1: The cap goes up for all teams and hence is a net neutral. The effect is inflationary across the scale.

Proposition #2: While the cap goes up for all teams and hence in theory is net neutral, for those teams near the cap it allows them to keep players they would otherwise have to trade at a discount, while for those with cap space it decreases their leverage. Therefore the closer you are to the cap the better an increased cap is for you.

Proposition #3: The closer you are to the cap, the more leverage you have with your RFAs who might want to both sign the biggest contract they can, and stay with a competitive team. Kucherov is an example of this, he signed for much less than comparable players because it was impossible for the team to give him more.

The Oilers have a ton of cap space relative to their competitors this year and hence are not helped by the increased cap space this year relative to their competitors, while at the same time a higher cap hurts their negotiations with McDavid and Draisatl.

Conclusion: A higher cap is bad news for the Oilers.

12. Professor Q says:

dustrock: True.I’m talking something like an 8 year, $10m/year offer sheet.Enough to make him blink.

In the NBA, it’s expected and encouraged for players to seek the max.I get there isn’t the same belief in the NHL, but if I’m Leon and his family, and you’re presented with a max contract, you’d have to think about it.

Except that contract would be impossible to pass legally. It’d be circumvention.

13. TO10801 says:

Given that after about pick #15 its a complete toss up as to who goes where I wonder if the oil consider trading out of the first round and pick up a couple of extra picks. Maybe NJ gives us their 2nd and Colorado’s 3rd. That would be #22 for #34 and #63 I think. If the Oil do like Ratcliffe or Thomas you could probably get one of them at 34.

14. T0ML says:

sumaclab:

Why on Gods green earth would they be pissed for the Hall trade….They got a 1LW for what is a 1RD (Shutdown … Larsson is a shutdown 1RD, if you have offensive wheels on the left he is for sure a 1st pairing)…If anything its the Oilers who should be pissed at Jersey ….. If you read the internet that is.

15. T0ML says:

TO10801:

This is what I was thinking yesterday when everyone was discussing why would the oilers put out a article on guys like that….I believe the consensus was “off the board” …. but these are not the Oiler’s of yesteryear …. I wonder if they wont trade down as well and pickup a 2nd …. crazy always happens at the draft.

16. TO10801 says:

T0ML,

I agree I don’t think they will go completely off the board. Chia has shown they don’t do that anymore, but with the lack of consensus later in the 1st this year might be better than any to move down an grab some extra picks.

17. Dominoiler says:

Cassandra,

Agreed, Cassandra

Sure, it’s a little tougher to GM the oilers with a flat cap this year, but they have room for at least this next season and the crunch put on the competition is relevant and hopefully advantageous..

18. misfit says:

JJS:

Continue to focus on acquiring a strong RH puck mover with wheels.

Fill the Sekera void internally.

When he returns, we have a great group to push deep into the spring.

I have no medical background, but from what I’ve noticed over the years with players and knee injuries, they usually aren’t themselves for almost a full season after returning from knee surgery. Sekera may be back by the deadline next year, but I wouldn’t expect him to be the same Sekera we’re used to seeing until sometime the following season (if he isn’t driven out of town by then).

Replacing Sekera for this coming season is paramount IMO. Even if Russell returns, we’re an injury away from having a trainwreck of a defense this year. The top pairing is strong, and Nurse/Benning showed some things in a 3rd pairing role, but right now we’re without an entire 2nd defense pair. We can’t count on being as fortunate this year with injuries as we were last.

19. Scungilli Slushy says:

An increase in the cap creates a short term surplus for a team. Salaries respond soon so it is a short term effect, but if managed well it could allow better players to be more on the team. For example the 4 M could pay for the 2 RHD meaning it doesn’t have to be found within the cap. Soon salaries inflate and absorb it.

Edit: Phone! Allow more better players, and doesn’t have to be found within the existing cap.

20. Doug McLachlan says:

The cap increase presumes that the NHLPA agrees to accept a further increase in escrow to create higher fake salary increases for players coming off their ELCs (as they have for every crop before them). Probably will but suspect that until the PA makes that decision, a lot of wheeling and dealing will be on hold.

21. Bank Shot says:

Doug McLachlan:
    The cap increase presumes that the NHLPA agrees to accept a further increase in escrow to create higher fake salary increases for players coming off their ELCs (as they have for every crop before them).Probably will but suspect that until the PA makes that decision, a lot of wheeling and dealing will be on hold.

Hasn’t the NHLPA used the cap accelerator at every single opportunity thus far?

I wouldn’t bet against it.

22. digger50 says:

By the time Reggie is back, another defender will likely be hurt. I believe we will get Russel back plus one more. I’m hoping for a 23 year old who can grow with the team.

In addition, I still see the need to have Gryba on deck.

Only downside, it does kind of block the Rienharts and Osterlies

As Peter mentioned, perhaps they grow the defence internally. Nurse steps up and Rienhart steps into third pair. Could be adequate, but does not inspire confidence.

23. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

digger50,

– Great post LT!

– Chia really has 2 windows for Reg replacement: maybe he can’t find the right trade in the off-season, and he re-signs Russell, and gets a Wideman (*ducks) type filler.

– If he goes with cheap vets, then at trade deadline, with the offense humming, he can trade for D

– With Sek down, we need another “young Sek”, to go with our D IMO.

– Plan on a worse Sek going forward: we really need another very good D, and perhaps the best course is see if any of Nurse/Benning is ready for top-4 before committing long-term to outside

I could see:
    Klef-Larsson
    Russel-Wideman
    Nurse-Benning

– Test drives in the bottom 4 with Benning/Nurse moving up/down. It’s not pretty, but I could see it

– Get another top-4 for the organization is that you block potential room

24. Pretendergast says:

Wash gm says hed trade ovi.

Considering age and how crazy this guy sounds for even considering a trade says he could be had for less than full value.

Dunno the cost but if you want a pp sniper for the right side why not get the best one ever?

25. Cassandra says:

Pretendergast:
    Wash gm says hed trade ovi.

His contract has negative value. Any cost is too much.

26. John Chambers says:

Cassandra: Because he is being paid almost 10 million a year and isn’t an elite player anymore

His contract has negative value.Any cost is too much.

Besides a depth player like Sutter or Jamie McGinn, along with middlng picks and B prospects, I can’t see any team giving up much of value to take on Ovie’s contract.

It would basically be a transfer of Ovie’s contract to the other team, thereby freeing up dollars for Washington to sign Burakowsky and Kuznetsov, and to perhaps sign Shattenkirk.

But there are teams with the dollars, and in both the above cases, with a desire to add star power to a moribund fan base. WIth only 4 years remaining on his contract, Ovie’s isn’t atrocious, and he could recover and deliver reasonable value against his contract for 2 or 3 years.

27. Pretendergast says:

Cassandra,

33 goals is not elite? And thats on a bad year where he played 3rd line at times because ‘team’

With how crazy expansion will be, it could work if a poo and jordan move and cap inflated.

Worth a look for a scorer like that at least, big bodies like that tend to last longer too ala jagr

28. Chachi says:

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA BATMAN!!!

29. Doug McLachlan says:

Bank Shot: Hasn’t the NHLPA used the cap accelerator at every single opportunity thus far?

I wouldn’t bet against it.

Generally yes, and I think even this year they will hit the accelerator but this offseason the wild-card is Vegas.

The influx of a potential $73+million in NHLPA contracts provides a bit of a safety valve for the PA that normally isn’t available. Vegas, even at the cap will not be as big a bump in total salary as the 5% escalator (around $110M) but it takes a good chunk of it. Not knowing yet how much revenue Vegas will be adding to the pot makes hitting the escalator this year particularly risky.

I could see the NHLPA and their accountants recommending less that the full 5% escalator to try and keep the escrow in check as well as trying to get a handle on how much Vegas is contributing to the overall cap calculation.

30. Bruce McCurdy says:

Chachi:
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA BATMAN!!!

Good catch.

That’s quite funny, actually.

31. OF17 says:

I’ve thought for years that no team with Ovechkin will win a Cup. He’s a great goalscorer, but his lack of two-way play gets exposed in the playoffs. You can’t have your captain and leader making two defensive errors that lead to goals in a game 7. You just can’t. You also don’t want your most expensive player being so reliant on getting fed pucks on the PP.

The biggest value Ovechkin has for a hockey team is that he’s a one-way ticket to better attendance numbers. He would be extremely valuable to a smaller team that has trouble putting butts in the seats. For a team making acquisitions solely on the basis of getting better though, I’m not convinced Ovechkin is the way to go.

32. Chachi says:

Bruce McCurdy: Good catch.

That’s quite funny, actually.

Agreed.

33. John Chambers says:

OF17,

Yeah. Arizona or Colorado.

A team needing a bump in the regular season standings who aren’t planning a Stanley Cup parade over the next 4 years.

Both good landing spots for Ovie.

34. Bruce McCurdy says:

John Chambers:
    OF17,

Yeah. Arizona or Colorado.

Both good landing spots for Ovie.

Or the Las Vegas Boogie Knights.

35. Doug McLachlan says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    digger50,

– Great post LT!

– With Sek down, we need another “young Sek”, to go with our D IMO.

I could see:
    Klef-Larsson
    Russel-Wideman
    Nurse-Benning

– Test drives in the bottom 4 with Benning/Nurse moving up/down.It’s not pretty, but I could see it

– Get another top-4 for the organization is that you block potential room

In Chia’s year end presser, he made specific note of the Nurse-Larsson pairing.

I wonder if the thought is to run with:

Nurse-Larsson
    Klefbom-UFA
    Reinhart-Benning
    (Sekera LTIR)

Any news on that Chech d-man we were in on?

36. Ducey says:

Edmonton is the only team that can offer Leon 8 yrs

37. VOR says:

Jan Rutta is widely reported to be going to Chicago. I can’t imagine how that would work. Chicago would be in Cap Hell even with the Cap Accelerator. Without it, wow!

38. Diablo says:

John Chambers:
    OF17,

Yeah. Arizona or Colorado.

Both good landing spots for Ovie.

He’d have to agree to it – modified-NTC. Really doubt he’d waive it to go to either of those teams or LV.
    Whoever trades for him is going to have to watch him play in the KHL next year anyways – no way he misses the Olympics. Even his team was OK with him taking time off to go, the NHL (re. Bettman) would probably (A) suspend him for the rest of the season, and (B) penalize his team in some manner, such as the forfeiture of a 1st rounder pick.

Washington and Ovie are stuck with each other.

39. treevojo says:

Chachi:
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA BATMAN!!!

Bruce McCurdy: Good catch.

That’s quite funny, actually.

Sorry Chachi!

I already outed Mr. Wayne or “Cassandra” after Cassandra’s first post weeks ago.

I have been way too busy to keep up with regular posting but have tried my best to read all comments.

If you go back and read the first “Cassandra” post it was obvious.

VOR:

Lots of time for cap worries, I wonder if Chicago is a team that finds a way to offload a big contract to LVGK.

41. Chachi says:

treevojo:
    Sorry Chachi!

If you go back and read the first “Cassandra” post it was obvious.

42. The Hermit says:

Bruce McCurdy: From Wikipedia: “In modern usage her name is employed as a rhetorical device to indicate someone whose accurate prophecies are not believed by those around them.”
    That’s quite funny, actually.

Yup. The individual is not lacking in hubris.

43. treevojo says:

Chachi: Yes, I caught that. Just think it is worthwhile to remind folks from time to time.

44. rickithebear says:

Last 3 seasons:
    top 90 HD dmen
    top 60 Shot suppression rates
    1-30 (55.6% to 66.7%)
    60-31 (53.0% to 55.5%%)
    90 to 61 (50.8% to 52.9%)
    120 to 91 (49.5% to 50.7%)
    150 to 121 (47.2% to 49.4%)

Highest % of Of EVTOI generating top 60 shot suppression.
    1. De haan 73.63% EVTOI; 53.54% shot reduction.
    2. Russell 63.69% EVTOI; 55.08% shot reduction
    11. Vlasic 30.41% TOI; 55.61% SR
    12. K. Miller 27.03% TOI; 56.86% SR
    13. Kampfer 25.63% TOI; 56.02% SR
    14. Brodin 25.47% TOI; 55.70% SR
    15. Sekera 23.98% TOI; 53.6% SR
    16. Broddie 21.43% TOI; 55.71% SR

these are the only Dmen to be above avg in HD play.
    get above average EVGA;
    Supress shot rates to cover for Poor procession Forwards high CA rates.

45. Chachi says:

treevojo: It would be way better if a MDFMAN or a GRANDECASH would secretly come back and post though.

MDFMAN – funny!

46. N64 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Good catch.

From Wikipedia: “In modern classical usage her name is employed as a rhetorical device to indicate someone whose accurate prophecies are not believed by those around them.”

That’s quite funny, actually.

FTFY

47. JDI says:

Chachi: MDFMAN – funny!

Just say ‘No’ to formaldehyde!

48. Professor Q says:

I love how when TSN is discussing the refs making controversial miscalls that cost games, in reference to the Subban goal, they showed 4-5 Ducks instances against Oilers.

Absolutely love it.

*goes to corner of bar and sobs*

49. Professor Q says:

John Chambers: A team like Arizona or Vancouver could conceivably take on Ovie’s contract. In Vancouver’s case they might have to send a player like Brandon Sutter the other way to make the $’s work (same contract length of 4 years).

Shattenkirk said he isn’t resigning in Washington.

50. highgloveside says:

Draisaitl will not be signing an offer sheet. Why wouold he sign a 7 year offer when the Oilers will want to sign him for 8 years. I don’t see the Oilers playing hardball enough to force him to sign an offer sheet.