SLOW HAND

There are going to be so many things coming at us over the next few weeks the mind boggles. Tomorrow, I’ll publish my final list (with mock draft) and we’ll continue draft talk by examining Peter Chiarelli’s last five drafts.

On the trade and free agency front, Pierre Lebrun got 10 minutes with Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli and it’s a must-listen (link below). I’m going to quote just one line, but this is a really worthwhile listen.

• Peter Chiarelli: “The way we are going to have to spend our money in the future probably means we’re going to move a player. When that future is I don’t know. Basically we’ve got a year to play with in my mind.” Source

I never believe general managers (except Craig MacTavish, who was too honest) at this time of year. That said, this is the first summer since arrival that PC doesn’t have a giant laundry list of vital chores to do. Sounds like he’ll sign McDavid, Draisaitl and Russell (in that order) and then see how everything else plays out.

Far from sexy, but a fall roster with tweaks that bring balance may be the play here. As we have discussed in the past, Edmonton could manage the current roster (or almost) and get under a $77M cap.

PROJECTED 2017-18 ROSTER

There are things we don’t know for sure, like the actual overage, but I’ve included most of the cap money in there (McDavid, Puljujarvi, Nurse, I left out Caggiula, Slepyshev, Benning, they total $1.325M). The club also gets a (small) break on Sekera’s deal when he goes on LTIR (but they have to replace him on the roster). Can they get this team securely into the playoffs by February, allowing Peter Chiarelli to add pieces at the deadline? That’s probably what we’re talking about here, adding at the deadline, if it becomes a quiet summer. There’s too many bets on this roster as posted, it’s too far from balanced, to be a favorite to win the division. Playoffs? A team with Connor McDavid is going to make a lot of noise.

The key dates for Oilers fans:

• June 1: Last day to sign Miroslav Svoboda.
  • June 15-30: Buyout window, Benoit Pouliot and Mark Fayne candidates.
  • June 18: Expansion draft lists are made public
  • June 21: Vegas roster is revealed
  • June 23-24: NHL draft weekend
  • June 25: UFA window opens to talk to other teams
  • June 25: Qualifying offers must be submitted (Oilers will say goodbye to several players)
  • June 26: RFA’s may speak to other teams
  • June 30: Cap revealed
  • July 1: Free agency

Liljegren seems to be falling down the draft board, seems an overreaction after a solid SHL season that included dealing with mono. He played 19 games in the SHL (NHLE: 12.5) and averaging 10 minutes. His scouting reports shone like a diamond but he appears to be fading near draft day. If he falls down in the first round is he worth the risk? I sure think so.

CODY EAKIN?

Jim Matheson sent out a tweet a couple of weeks ago about Jordan Eberle and possible destinations. He mentioned Dallas, and then followed up a question with “Cody Eakin” as part of a possible return. It’s an interesting name, not one you would expect to be part of a one-for-one but the interesting thing about Eakin is how many areas he covers for the Oilers. He was 52.3 percent in faceoffs last season, his boxcars (60gp, 3-9-12) crumbled partly due to a shooting percentage that went from 12.1 to 3.7. Previous to this past season he scored 35 or more points in three straight seasons. He is 26, plays in all disciplines (1:42PK, 1:09 PP last season) and has a $3.85 million cap hit for two more seasons (then UFA).

He can play center or wing, up and down the lineup and should recover offensively. No way Edmonton moves Eberle straight up for Eakin (I think) but Edmonton may also want a young player or a pick (Dallas has No. 3, No. 29, No. 39, No. 70 and No. 101, among others) as part of an Eberle trade. Either way, interesting name by Matty. Brett Ritchie is a player we have talked about before, I have him among the targeted forwards for summer.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. What should the Oilers do with that extra money?
  • Adam Cook, CTV Edmonton. Eskimos training camp well underway!
  • Scott Wheeler, Pension Plan Puppets. NHL combine and the draft.
  • Jared Book, Bluebird Banter. The Jays are on fire!

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Giddyup!

67 Responses to "SLOW HAND"

1. TO10801 says:

Such a weird offseason. Last season everyone knew Chia had to do something (a lot of things). This year he could do very little and still have a playoff team. I think he’s taking the correct approach by saying he is likely to be quiet, but I can’t see Chia waiting until the end to get his cap in order. The difference between this summer and the last 10 or so is that the Oiler GM is finally dealing from a position of strength. There is no obvious weakness on their roster that other GMs are going to target.

2. N64 says:

I don’t get June 30 5 pm. Why would upper and lower limits be set at the END of the buyout period??? Oh look at that number. We’d better do a buyout. Never mind. What am i missing here?

N64:

Last possible day for teams to know, as well. July 1 opens and they have just gotten the number. I “suspect” teams get a head’s up earlier and the final final is just a confirm for them (and news to us).

4. Rondo says:

I think Timothy Liljegren’s biggest problem is hockey IQ.

Sounds like Oilers would trade down if the player/players are gone by #22.

Rondo:
    I think Timothy Liljegren’s biggest problem is hockey IQ.

Sounds like Oilers would trade down if the player/players are gone by #22.

6. Rondo says:

Is he the Oliver Kylington of this years draft?

7. Woogie63 says:

On that laundry list has to be solving/ signing two defenceman that can play +20 unsheltered minutes a night. This is a huge issue.

8. Pretendergast says:

It’s tough to say with guys with mono.

Some NHL people call it Filatov’s disease because it’s an easy excuse for poor work ethic.

Obviously can’t assume that of Liljegren, but if it’s the case, no matter the talent, the ceiling won’t be reached.

This might be one of the few times character may actually matter, which I know can be sacrilege with some people round here.

9. dustrock says:

Rondo:

Is he the Oliver Kylingtonof this years draft?

Was going to post this exactly. He is RHD, great skater, great shot. Is somewhat weak in the DZ but so what.

If the trade is Eberle for Eakin and #29 from Dallas are we happy?

10. TO10801 says:

dustrock,

Its not a bad trade, but likely means we are signing Russell, which is likely to happen anyways. I just don’t get the Russell signing. If Matt Benning is better than Russell next year you have a Dman making potentially 3.75×4 on your third pair

11. jtblack says:

Rondo,

Or Jacob Chycryun?

12. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! I take issue with this though: “I never believe general managers (except Craig MacTavish, who was too honest)”

– MacT was a good interview. He didn’t seem to understand the importance of mis-direction, but his handling of Kruger: from “we are going to find him an experienced helper” to his Skype firing, was a very dishonest action from a GM who was clearly not equipped.

– If I ever get to meet MacT I will thank him for his contribution in getting us McD….

13. dustrock says:

TO10801:
    dustrock,

Well, let’s not forget Chia signed Russell to a Show Me, 1 year deal. He has specifically said he has 1 year before he really has to sweat about money.

I cannot see him giving Russell 3-4 years, which is what Russell is going to want at this stage of his career.

He had a fairly successful run with Edmonton in the playoffs, and he’ll be looking to parlay that into a multi-year contract.

I honestly would not be shocked if he signed in Las Vegas for 3 x $4m.

14. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

dustrock,

– I agree: I’ve said this for months. Of all the players available on the Oil, it’s Russel you want. LV is the most likely to offer a 3-4 year deal. It’s a no-brainer for Russel to accept term over a 2 year contract (which is as far as I’d hope Chia would go)

15. Psyche says:

The romantic in me would enjoy seeing the Oilers sign Hemsky for 1 year x $3.5 million or 2 years x $3 million (per year). I think he can help the PP and play top 6 RW with his skill.

If Eberle is traded the Oilers need to bring in a temporary replacement from a skill perspective. Especially if that long term volume shooter isn’t available yet.

Eakins would be a fantastic 3rd line centre who could move into the top 6 when required.

16. russ99 says:

dustrock: Well, let’s not forget Chia signed Russell to a Show Me, 1 year deal.He has specifically said he has 1 year before he really has to sweat about money.

I honestly would not be shocked if he signed in Las Vegas for 3 x $4m.

Russell wants to play close to home, wants to be back and Chiarelli wants him back, and we’re looking at up to 5 months without Sekera.

So there’s wiggle room for negotiation there. Maybe another 1 year deal with a club option is in the cards.

It would take a ton of cash for any FA to willingly join an expansion club guaranteed to lose for 1-2 years regardless of the location, so Russell signing long term in Vegas is a very remote possibility.

Yes, the league stacked the deck for Vegas more than other expansion teams, but they got unlucky in the draft lottery in a weak crop year, the expansion draft will be slim pickings with teams making trades beforehand and not wanting to give up good players for nothing, and this year’s FA crop isn’t anything to write home about.

17. russ99 says:

TO10801:

Yep. And next summer it will be from a position of weakness with every GM knowing how much cap room he needs to shed.

18. Ribs says:

I finally got around to reading my Hockey News Draft Preview last night. It looks like it’s either a pretty lacklustre draft all around, or else the scouts are a lot more comfortable these days saying they don’t know how anyone will turn out. I don’t recall seeing so many non-committal reviews of players in years past.

It’s gonna be difficult to pick a guy I hope they get in the first round!

how about Cody eakin. Forget last year*. Look at his body of work. – @NHLbyMatty

Umm, okay… Sounds, umm… great….

Maybe one of those names Matty pulls out of his hat every once in a while?

19. TO10801 says:

russ99,

My point exactly. That is precisely why Chia has to figure out his cap by September 2017, otherwise he is going to be selling young assets for very little similar to what the hawks do every year.

20. jtblack says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

How come you take issue with MacT being too Honest, but then agree he “didn’t understand mis direction”

MacT did his best.

21. jtblack says:

I would do Eakins & #29 for Ebs.

22. TO10801 says:

dustrock,

Depends. If Russell doesn’t trust his agent since he couldn’t get him the deal last year then maybe he goes for it. But, he has mentioned he wants to be close to home and if Chia has an offer on the table for 3 or 4 years I think he will take it. I am hopeful he will stay unsigned until the negotiation window and Calgary beats our offer and he walks. Other than that I agree with you that Russell would cause all kinds of problems down the line with the cap.

Here’s another possible solution. Say you sign Russell to 4×3.75. If he has a year similar to what he did this year he is probably tradeable for picks to a team that needs D. However, his goal share last year was built around luck, so it is extremely likely he will lose a lot of value next year.

23. flea says:

DArcy and Lowetide were just chatting about the possibility of Shattenkirk on a 1 year deal (bridging to a NYR deal next year for him). That would be a great fit for the Oilers and I could see Shattenkirk having interest too, running the PP with the Art Ross Trophy winner.

Opening night Defense

Klefbom – Larsson
    Nurse – Shattenkirk
    UFA Depth Signing/Internal – Benning

I think the tricky part is at the deadline you get Sekera back, and prob put him on the third pair. Also prob see one of the Austins gone to make the salaries fit,.

24. GMB3 says:

Didn’t Shattenkirk just publicly say he won’t sign in Washington?

I had read that on twitter but haven’t perused the web for a source. If so, I have to say that makes me think of him in a pretty negative light.

25. dustrock says:

Seravelli just reported he heard Bowman told McPhee he can have Trevor Van Riemsdyk, but will have to take Krueger’ s contract.

IT BEGINS.

26. trencan says:

I will be very surprised when Red Wings or Coyotes miss Liljegren on draft. Best defender with Miro Heiskanen this year.
    I think Russels agent will ask 4+ per year. Money is probably not biggest problem for management in this case but the term. He will ask for 4 years at least.

27. TO10801 says:

dustrock,

And if McPhee says “No thanks Stan, I’ll just pick him in the draft”? I guess CHI could trade TVR, but it really doesn’t make sense to play hardball if your Bowman.

28. HALFWALL says:

TO10801:

29. John Chambers says:

Re: Trade Deadline

In 2006 Kevin Lowe loaded up with Spacek, Samsonov, and Roloson. There was no precedence for this sequence of moves in Oilerdom – previously all we had ever done was acquire Ptr Nedved and re-welcomed Routsaleinen (sp?).

Now adding at the trade deadline will be an annual necessity for two reasons: 1) we add to an area of need (duh), 2) we can exchange a lousy expiring asset for a productive one.

The summer season implies costly moves: expensive UFAs and exchanging useful position players. Chiarelli knows he has a lineup that is in all likelihood going to make the playoffs. Ergo, he doesn’t need to architect a President’s trophy team in October, he can ice a competitive team while time lapses on Fayne and Pouliot’s contracts, and seek to swap theirs for more useful expiring contracts, paying in draft picks to even the score.

Get used to loading up at the deadline, Oiler fans!

30. Rondo says:

dustrock:

IT BEGINS.

Maybe it is contingent on Chicago signing Jan Rutta

31. dustrock says:

I’m honestly a little confused already about the expansion draft.

Why would LV have to take Kruger to get TVR?

Isn’t he unprotected no matter which way we look at it, since Hawks have so many players who have NMC?

32. TO10801 says:

dustrock,

I honestly don’t get this. IMO it would be similar to us saying “you can have Reinhart in expansion if you take Pouliot”.

There must be a pretty sweet draft pick involved going to LV.

33. Moose says:

dustrock:
    I’m honestly a little confused already about the expansion draft.

Why would LV have to take Kruger to get TVR?

Because the Hawks are threatening to trade him to another team if they don’t. It’s their only leverage and don’t want to lose him for nothing.

34. HALFWALL says:

TO10801,

Yep. This is what I think a lot of people miss in the Hall-Larsson trade. Even if you grant that Chia lost the individual trade (understood that beliefs and emotions run high both ways on this), he now has more negotiation leverage without a big red blinking light surrounding the gaping hole on his roster.
    The other option is to wait for the hole to close from within the system but there was no 1RD waiting in the wings (thanks Lowe-Tambo-MacT). Waiting would made the red blinking light glow brighter.
    Huge difference between a weakness (or even weaknesses) vs. having gaping hole.

35. jtblack says:

John Chambers,

The Summer season is costly, agreed. But I also think the Deadline is very costly too. Biggest Deadline Additions this yr cost 1st round Picks. Wild never got out of Rd 1. CAPS done Rd 2. Expensive acquisitions with little to no impact.

36. TO10801 says:

HALFWALL,

Exactly, even if Eberle is the one to move your not sending a memo asking what RD each team would trade for Eberle. You could trade him for a cheaper forward and picks or a RD and even possibly a LD if Sekera goes to RD when he comes back. It has to be easier to find value when you aren’t stuck looking at only top-4 RD options around the league.

37. russ99 says:

TO10801:
    dustrock,

I really doubt goal share has any impact in the Oilers’ decision to re-sign Russell. His value is solely in opposition scoring chance quality minimization, which is a lot more important in the postseason than in the regular season. If we don’t bring him back and go after a shot metric favorite instead, how do we get back that level of defensive zone protection?

38. russ99 says:

TO10801:
    dustrock,

dustrock:
    I’m honestly a little confused already about the expansion draft.

Why would LV have to take Kruger to get TVR?

Other way around.

If they don’t agree, they’ll just trade Kruger to someone else and they also don’t get TVR.

This is why the post-cup/pre-protected list period is going to be trade-mageddon.

I can see the Oilers doing something similar with Reinhart and Pouliot.

39. TO10801 says:

russ99,

Not trying to take away from what Russell does well, but he is a small D on the wrong end of 30. You can’t have players falling off the cliff during 29 and 97’s big contract years, especially when Lucic is already likely to be overpaid in the final couple years. I would go after a younger, but similar D.

Also, even if CHI trades Kruger to someone else (which would be difficult) how would they protect TVR? I’m assuming they aren’t leaving Anisimov and Panik exposed.

40. dustrock says:

russ99: I really doubt goal share has any impact in the Oilers’ decision to re-sign Russell.His value is solely in opposition scoring chance quality minimization, which is a lot more important in the postseason than in the regular season. If we don’t bring him back and go after a shot metric favorite instead, how do we get back that level of defensive zone protection?

Other way around.

I can see the Oilers doing something similar with Reinhart and Pouliot.

I guess that’s assuming another team wants to take on Kruger for 2 more years at $3m, but that makes sense.

41. russ99 says:

TO10801:
    russ99,

Agree, Im not a fan of a long term deal for Russell either, but considering both sides want a re-up and Russell has reasons for passing up $/term to come back, maybe there’s wiggle room not to have to do that.

42. The Hermit says:

russ99: Maybe another 1 year deal with a club option is in the cards.

FYI there is no club or player option in the current CBA.

43. Professor Q says:

GMB3:
    Didn’t Shattenkirk just publicly say he won’t sign in Washington?

He did say so. The other defenceman FAs want to sign, however. No idea about Oshie. I think he was open to resinging as well.

But yeah, Shattenkirk publicly stated that isn’t coming back, and wants to sign with a NY-based team.

44. dustrock says:

Bet we’ll see NYR trying to give up straight gold to LV to dump some contracts so they can sign Shattenkirk.

45. Primetime says:

NHL GMs are creative people and I imagine there will be all sorts of interesting scenarios that pop up.

One that I have thought about is the possibility of Chia moving RNH to Vegas. The rumours that we have heard (RNH for Dumba straight across) are underwhelming, but we are unlikely to get much more from established teams due to contract/perceived value etc. What if Chia prepared a shopping list for McPhee to select from the expansion draft to fill all the open spots we have for a similar price point?

For example: George, we are prepared to trade you a young franchise centre (RNH) if you select players X, Y, and Z off the expansion lists in return (e.g. Kruger (3C), Dumba (2RHD) and prospect FWD or D). Plus, you need to take Fayne’s contract in the draft.

Feel free to use any other examples of players you want from the unprotected list. We may be able to fill a lot of holes and get more value for RNH dealing with Vegas then the other teams who won’t give up much straight up. I bet Vegas would kill to have young centre like RNH.

Would be the dreaded reverse 3 for 1 deal but would anyone consider it?

46. classict says:

Other way around.

I can see the Oilers doing something similar with Reinhart and Pouliot.

That doesn’t work for them either. They already have 3D with NMC. Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson. If they decide to keep TVR too then they have to go with 8 skaters. Which means they can’t protect Panarin (they have 4 forwards with NMC).

Doubtful they choose TVR over Panarin

Edit: nevermind Panarin is still expansion draft exempt

47. jtblack says:

Primetime,

Why would LV want to do this?

48. Diablo says:

If Kruger is available, then would he not be a fit at 3C?
    Would be better than trading Eberle for Eakins, whose offence came when he was playing C with Benn as his LW, and disappeared off the Benn line.

49. misfit says:

Rondo:

Is he the Oliver Kylingtonof this years draft?

If he drops to the end of the 2nd, then I guess so. I would hope he doesn’t drop any farther than #22 if he does fall. I’d even be on board with moving up to get him even with the lack of a 2nd round pick already.

Kylington is still a pretty good prospect and seems to be developing just fine, so if he ends up being this year’s Kylington, I hope we’re the ones that get him.

50. misfit says:

So if we’re supposed to ignore this year for Eakin and look at his complete body of work, why would he net Eberle unless you only look at this year and ignore his complete body of work?

51. Whatif says:

With regard to Liljegren, it would be a mistake to under rate the impact that mono can have on a professional athlete. In many cases it can take 1-2 years to recover full man strength.

By the way, this same argument could be used regarding Lazar as he had mono this year and had trouble recapturing his game.

Liljegren may be a very good option if available.

52. Professor Q says:

Rondo:

Is he the Oliver Kylingtonof this years draft?

I don’t think so. More like Fowler, McDonagh, Chychrun, etc.

53. season not played says:

I would trade Eberle straight up for Eakin, no problem. Need to get the guys with losing bred into them out of the locker room.

Also, and I don’t typically agree with superheroes or reclusive billionaires, but that dude Cassandra is right. A jump in the cap works against the Oilers.

John Chambers:
    Re: Trade Deadline

Willy Lindstrom, Kent Nilsson, Geoff Courtnall, Moe Lemay, Norm Lacombe…lots of deadline deals in the eighties.

55. TO10801 says:

misfit,

Really good point. The determination Chia has to make is whether he believes in RNH and Eberle enough to rebound next year because if he doesn’t move them this year and next year they have similar results you’re in trouble. Teams will know one has to go and Chia likely gets fleeced.

I think Nuge might end up in Vegas for a couple value deals. Maybe Nuge goes to LV for TVR and William Karlsson?

56. Primetime says:

jtblack:
    Primetime,

Why would LV want to do this?

Getting a young, #1 Centre with that pedigree (#1 overall), signed to a contract for 4 more years will be a lot harder for Vegas than gathering the fill in parts that we need. Especially with choices they will have from the other teams. For example, if both Dumba and Pysyk are available (both 2RHD), take them both and trade one of them to us in the package.

57. hunter1909 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: MacT was a good interview. He didn’t seem to understand the first thing about being a general manager

Kinger_Oil.redux: but his handling of Kruger: from “we are going to find him an experienced helper” to his Skype firing, was a very dishonest action from a GM who was clearly not equipped.

As one of the more tenured MacT haters, I’d beg to differ, instead offering the riposte that indeed MacT was showing his true character, or lack thereof. Cue the incredible Kevin Lowe presser for eternal proof that wins every argument for the next 50,000 light years.

Rondo:

Is he the Oliver Kylington of this years draft?

Posh name for a hockey player!

John Chambers: Get used to loading up at the deadline, Oiler fans!

After 15 years spent arguing with Lowe+MacT apologists, with Lowe constantly slagging off Edmonton as a city which meant no free agent would ever want to play in Edmonton ever, I’m still getting used to McDavidmonton fast becoming the number 1 destination for NHLers.

Chiarelli’s probably going to add a couple of Bryan Trottier veteran types to bolster the team’s playoff chances next time around. Like Chara + Shane Doan.

58. leadfarmer says:

Why would Vegas want Kruger. 3.5 mil in real money this year. Only way I would do it if I was them is after Chicago pays his 2 mil bonus. Teams are going to be trying to trade away better dmen that they can’t protect than TVR.

59. hunter1909 says:

The way some of you talk, Vegas is going to be robbing 30 NHL teams of half of their star players.

60. TO10801 says:

hunter1909,

Do you consider RNH or Eberle “star” players?

61. Professor Q says:

TO10801:
    hunter1909,

Do you consider RNH or Eberle “star” players?

If we trade them to Dallas?

62. Professor Q says:

hunter1909:

Well, that’s why you have to trade them away.

To prevent them from being stolen in the draft.

Regardless of that causing the team you trade them to have to protect them and you both losing another player as well. ~

63. fifthcartel says:

Lowetide: Ithink his problem may be mono. Scouts didn’t like his play but what we know about mono is that it saps strength even after recovery. Could be a short term issue.

64. hunter1909 says:

TO10801:
    hunter1909,

Do you consider RNH or Eberle “star” players?

If I were the Vegas GM, I’d be all over trying to get both of them at once. Oilers could trade them both to Vegas and improve their 2nd line. Somehow.

65. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

hunter1909,

– You and I did share that for many years: calling out MacT for years before the crowd did

– That MacT still sits beside Chia during hockey games is further insight into the man’s “character”

– The OBC, hanging around like vultures, ready to pounce once Chia’s team “peak”.

66. GMB3 says:

fifthcartel: I had mono a few months back and it’s awful. It takes so long to build up strength and be active again. I don’t know how you could play sports afterwards, I could barely do anything for months.

Agreed, I had mono at the end of my sophomore season of college baseball. It was probably 8 weeks before I felt alright, and I still struggled to train for another few months.

67. nelson88 says:

russ99: Teams would rather deal good players they can’t protect than lose them for nothing.

I get this to a degree but what team is trading for all of these players other teams don’t want to lose for nothing? Some teams are more exposed to the expansion draft then others but to a greater or lesser doesn’t every team “have a player they would rather trade than lose for nothing”? In this case LV may not get TVR but the team trading for him likely has to expose a player of relatively similar calibre. Perhaps not a D man but at the end of the day it will all pretty much even out in the wash.

Not trying to be a jackass. Maybe I’m just missing something?