CROSSING JORDAN

They’re bringing the crazy and we’re going to have to stay close to the Al Gore 24-7, ladies. I think we might be able to sneak a bottle of wine in on Saturday nights, but maybe don’t start until after 8pm. Here’s what we have this morning, beginning with some late afternoon rumors/discussion.

MCDAVID AND DRAISAITL

• Darren Dreger: “Ongoing discussions, I wouldn’t say there are hard negotiations with either Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl. The initial belief was they would do it in a pecking order, that McDavid would get done and followed by Draisaitl. Now there is a sense that maybe they get done together. Is it an 8-year term for both, could it would be five due to the enormous amount of money involved. My sense is that the Oilers would like to roll them both out at the same time later this summer.”
  • Bob McKenzie: “You can see the logic, especially from Connor McDavid’s perspective as to why both deals have to be done at the same time. Connor McDavid, I am sure he is prepared to take a hometown discount as Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin a lot of great players have, to ensure you are able to build the team around you even though you’re taking a big chunk of percentage of the cap. But if you take a hometown discount and the guy coming in the door next doesn’t take a hometown discount, then you just gave some money to him. So it’s one of those sensitive negotiations where you’ve got of kind of know the lay of the land.”
  • Source

Wildly encouraging. Honestly, this is probably the most important piece of news we’ll get this summer if it turns out to be true (negotiations can go several ways). Getting both men at less than market value represents a fantastic commitment to winning. Seriously. Massive.

Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved

JORDAN EBERLE

• Darren Dreger: “I am told there are offers on the table for Jordan Eberle, nothing Peter Chiarelli is willing to accept just yet. But it goes back to McDavid and Draisasitl and the finances involved. Jordan Eberle still has two years on his contract at $6 million per, it sounds like he’ll definitely get traded.”
  • Source

Seems we are getting a slightly different read on things than Peter Chiarelli offered to Pierre Lebrun short days ago.

• Peter Chiarelli: “The way we are going to have to spend our money in the future probably means we’re going to move a player. When that future is I don’t know. Basically we’ve got a year to play with in my mind.” Source

I don’t believe general managers at this time of year, but the overall thrust of this quote rings true. The clock is ticking, PC needs to find out what kind of value he can get for Eberle now. If it is unsatisfactory, and Eberle’s value is no greater next season, another roster player (Nuge) might have to move. Sticky wicket. Still, you need to get value and the depth chart on RW isn’t strong enough to merely flush 14.

The Dreger quote makes it sound well down the line but he also says there isn’t anything he’s willing to pull the trigger on. The same video mentions Travis Hamonic and Matt Duchene, maybe one of those gents is part of the mix for Edmonton. If you’re asking me to make a prediction based on that six minutes, I’ll guess Eberle goes to the Islanders for Hamonic, and B.D. Gallof seems to be heading in that direction. He tweets Hamonic may be the piece out but that Eberle talk seems to be coming from the Oilers side.

TOP 30 TRADE BAIT

Frank Seravalli’s list is back, with Jordan Eberle No. 6 on the list. Many of the players we have discussed in past days are also on this list. A year ago at the same time, Seravalli put out a list of assets that included RNH (No. 1), Oilers first-round pick (No. 4), Jordan Eberle (No. 12) and Nail Yakupov (No. 18). No Hall on June 2 a year ago. I genuinely think all three Austin’s were available (depending on return) a year ago, that does not seem to be the case this time around. Whatever Ryan Nugent-Hopkins managed last season, the team appears to have decided he’s a keeper. Music!

NHL COMBINE

The NHL invites about 100 of the top ranked players to the combine each years, then interviews, pokes, prods and examines them in all manner possible. The Oilers like the combine, drafting men who attend well past the No. 100 selection. In recent summers, Dylan Wells (No. 123), Ethan Bear (No. 124), Graham McPhee (No. 149) and John Marino (No. 154) have been chosen later than their attendance at the combine would have implied. I’ll be speaking with Jeff Chapman of Copper & Blue this afternoon during SSE, he’s at the combine and will share some cool stories and insight.

WHAT’S NEXT?

Seems to me that we are looking at a lot of rumor over the next week or so, with the possibility of an actual trade taking place in the next seven days. The Islanders, Stars, Panthers and Avalanche appear to be the most likely partners, with names like Hamonic, Strome, Pulock, Eakin, Johns, Honka, Petrovic, Demers, Pysyk, Duchene and Barrie in the mix (and not all of those connected to Edmonton). Here is my list of possible trade assets out:

1. Jordan Eberle
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  3. Jesse Puljujarvi
  4. No. 22 overall
  5. Caleb Jones
  6. 2018 first-round selection
  7. Anton Slepyshev
  8. Jujhar Khaira

I know it looks like Eberle today, but last season, at this time, Seravalli didn’t have Taylor Hall on his list. Chiarelli is extremely likely to do what he did a year ago: Read the market, find the deal he feels best fits the organization, and then pulls the trigger. We have heard very little about youngsters being in play. That would be my expectation in the coming days. Las Vegas will need young players and Edmonton has plenty to offer, including (as listed above) Jones, Slepyshev and Khaira. Any major trade with a building team probably involves the Finn. I hope, and very much believe, the big transaction of summer will fall well short of that kind of ask. We wait.

57 Responses to "CROSSING JORDAN"

1. Klima's_Bucket says:

I still think Florida could be the landing spot for Eberle.
    They have the right shot D (Pysyk, Petrovic, & Demers)

The Panthers are also deep down the middle but lack depth on the wing.
    And Jagr can’t play forever, can he?

Klima’s_Bucket:
    I still think Florida could be the landing spot for Eberle.
    They have the right shot D (Pysyk, Petrovic, & Demers)

The Panthers are also deep down the middle but lack depth on the wing.
    And Jagr can’t play forever, can he?

Yes. Should have mentioned them and will go back and add. Definitely a team to be talking to.

3. Ben says:

Interesting to see if Laviolette puts his PekkaRinne tight spot.

4. digger50 says:

I find your excitement for all that is going on quite infectious, and I mean that in a good way.

It would be a shame to lose young Jessie before finding out what he is. Sure we must be looking at a decent trade to move him, but with expansion taking place I am hoping to squeeze a team, not get squeezed.

Kieth Gretzky’s words were revealing (thanks BLH) as he states they have size so happy to look for skill and leaning towards forwards. For me I’d rather have Jessie developing than trade him and start with another first rounder. Prefer to keep Jessie and trade the 22nd.

5. jtblack says:

Mcd and Drai. As Fans I think we get caught up in the actual number these guys sign for. There is pressure from the PA and their agents, and nobody wants to work for less than fair value. BUT, in this case you have a 21 and 20 year old and both will have some smart people in the corner (more humble parents, somebody) reminding them that whether this contract is worth $48 Million or $68 Million of $98 Million, Both of these cowboys will have more money than they could ever dream of spending. They will be set for life 25 times over …. I don’t think the amount really matters to these guys outside of optics. Knowing that will be set for life, their primary concern will be winning and playing hockey. That’s what they love, that’s what they do. and YES, if they come in a little light on the expected number it will help PC build a roster that can bring the Cup …

Why Can’t JP be our shooter on PP#1? I think is a player, and I respect your articles on whether or not he can deliver offense. It would have been great to see him in Major Junior against his peers. JP put up .71 ppg in the AHL as the youngest player. I believe in Major junior he would have been 1.25 – 1.60 PPG. Which would have been great. We will never know. I hope PC does NOT move out this piece. I Think JP becoming a Top 6 player is one important piece of the Stanley Cup puzzle.

When Ebs gets traded, I like JP at RW#1 and your boy Sleppy at RW#2. The Lucic – Drai – Sleppy line was a Load in the playoffs. Have Maroon – McD – JP.

If PC can deliver an NHL 3C this summer, you can then run a quality 3rd line (which was lacking last year). I hope Khaira stays. RNH will be flip from 3C at times to 2C, when Leon moves up to RW#1. As you say, Tmac loves versatility. A line up like this would present serious problems for teams to try and match up.

Gonna be a wild ride …

6. Aron_S says:

Oh LT, I had forgotten about Yak and that craptastic move by the linesman. Poor bastard.

Also if we ended up with Hamonic for Eberle a year and a half after it was rumoured, I might lose it on Snow for his stubbornness. When Gallof suggests that Ebs is coming from the Oilers side, is your read that they would have to throw in more/the Isles aren’t that interested in Ebs (which is why we were hearing they were asking for Hall last year)?

7. jtblack says:

I will also add this: Most teams over value their own assets. Its natural. Almost ALL fan based over value their own players. We fall in love with them, grow with them and believe they are amazing. They are amazing but if our valuation is not consistent with 30 other GM’s, then perhaps we have aimed a little high.

Does Eberle have value? of course he does. I think PC is going to take a “loss” optically on this trade, just as he did with Hall for 2 reasons.

1) Eliminating Ebs cap hit is a HUGE plus for this team going forward, assuming dollars coming back are $4mil or under (like Larsson contract)
    2) I don’t think other teams value Ebs the same way Oilers Fandom does. I don’t want to argue the pros and cons of Ebs, that has been done and is opinion, with both sides stating valid points. But my hunch is that more GM’s are looking more at what Ebs is today and what will he be tomorrow, as opposed to his last 7 years of box cars.

Who knows what will happen. I agree with the other writer, your excitement for all of this is infectious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. teddyturnbuckle says:

I don’t want to beat a dead horse (Eberle) anymore but the guy has to go. Don’t care if he averages 20+ goals a season. When we needed him the most in the playoffs he wasn’t even creating any chances. I Honestly believe it was a mistake to not pull him out of the lineup against Anaheim and give someone else a chance. As it turned out anyone of JJ or Hendricks examples couldn’t have done any worse.
    We may not get the right winger back in a trade for Eberle but we can fill that spot at a later date. Trade at the draft maybe?

9. digger50 says:

Aron_S:

10. slopitch says:

Perhaps I’m overly down on Ebs after his playoff performance but to me Eberle for Hamonic represents a big win due to Hamonics great contract. If that move is in play, you gotta think about what the next shoe to drop is. The Oilers would need to address RW and in a damn hurry. So you’d need to look at available RW or maybe Hanzal wants to come here and they can move Drai permanently as 97’s RW. Either way, the cap space gives Chai some options.

11. Rondo says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    I don’t want to beat a dead horse (Eberle) anymore but the guy has to go. Don’t care if he averages 20+ goals a season.When we neededhim the most in the playoffs he wasn’t even creating any chances.I Honestly believe it was a mistake to not pull him out of the lineup against Anaheim and give someoneelse a chance.As it turned out anyone of JJ or Hendricks examples couldn’t have done any worse.
    We may not get the right winger back in a trade for Eberle but we can fill that spot at a later date.Trade at the draft maybe?

This was Eberle’s first playoff ever in the NHL , he will be better for this experience. He is a competitor . I’m not against trading him but do it when he is worth more, he is still young

12. BeerLeagueHero says:

No Problem Digger50!

digger50:

13. Rondo says:

Combine weight and heights

Kailer Yamamoto: 5-foot-7.5, 146.4 pounds

14. who says:

I am curious to see what Eberle will bring in a trade. Still think Hamonic is out of reach but maybe something like Eakin and Johns from Dallas would work. Fills the two holes that Edmonton has.
    What I don’t understand is the narrative that we can’t trade Eberle because we have no one to replace him. Really! I think we can replace last year’s Eberle in house. Kassian, Slepeshev, JP, Pak and Pitlick. There are no shortage of options and if Chia brings in a third center/winger like Eakin you can pencil in Drai as first line right winger if need be.
    Just don’t see Eberle being that hard to replace.

15. Primetime says:

digger50: It is likely the expansion has increased thier motivation. They have to move someone to convert an asset, Peter does not have to moveEbs.

Agreed, this year is a totally different scenario in terms of motivation to complete a trade.

Looking at the draft eligible lists, NYI are going to have to expose significant pieces no matter what format they choose:
    7-3-1: can only protect one of Hamonic, Pullock, De Haan, Hickey (protecting Leddy/Boychuk).
    8-1: protect only 2 of Cizikis, Strome, Bailey, Lee, Nelson, Clutterbuck, etc (assuming protect Tavares/Ladd)

Even if they trade Hamonic for Eberle and go 7-3-1, they will lose one of the other D mentioned above. Losing 2 D is not good for the system, so maybe they would want to re-stock with Draft ineligible players, and we would want an ineligible forward in return. Eberle and Bear/Jones for Hamonic and Dal Colle?

Keep in mind, NYI has a pretty good list of exposed players but will only lose 1 and will likely survive if they do nothing.

16. OilSafety says:

Is there any chance the Oilers make a deal with Vegas to take Eberle Faye and Pouliot?

Obviously other pieces needed but that’s a lot of cap space for Edmonton and three NHL players for Vegas.

OilSafety:

I don’t think there’s a way to make that work, no.

18. PerryK says:

Oilers wants for this Summer:

2RD
    2LD (Sekera replacement. Russell?)
    Top 6 RW (one timer!)
    3C

How much would Manson cost to acquire in a trade? He would be the best possible RD acquisition, IMO.

19. Bruce McCurdy says:

jtblack:
    I will also add this:Most teams over value their own assets. Its natural.Almost ALL fan based over value their own players. We fall in love with them, grow with them and believe they are amazing. They are amazing but if our valuation is not consistent with 30 other GM’s, then perhaps we have aimed a little high.

Does Eberle have value? of course he does.I think PC is going to take a “loss” optically on this trade, just as he did with Hall for 2 reasons.

1)Eliminating Ebs cap hit is a HUGE plus for this team going forward, assuming dollars coming back are $4mil or under (like Larsson contract)
    2) I don’t think other teams value Ebs the same way Oilers Fandom does.I don’t want to argue the pros and cons of Ebs, that has been done and is opinion, with both sides stating valid points.But my hunch is that more GM’s are looking more at what Ebs is today and what will he be tomorrow, as opposed to his last 7 years of box cars.

teddyturnbuckle:

Two posts with the same time stamp proving not all fans overvalue their own players. I’ve heard everything from “don’t protect Eberle from expansion draft” to “retain half of his salary just get rid of him” which I believe was an MSM though I have forgotten whose genius idea That was.

20. Doug McLachlan says:

Super stoked at the idea that McDavid and Drai could take less than market but need to see it.

Regardless, Eberle doesn’t HAVE to be dealt for cap reasons – certainly not this year and probably not even next.

I am increasingly convinced that Chia has a deal in his back pocket for Vegas to select Pouliot and has had it since the Trade Deadline.

21. Bruce McCurdy says:

who:
    Just don’t see Eberle being that hard to replace.

Eberle: 20-31-51
    44-42-98-26-15 combined: 20-35-55

22. Diablo says:

slopitch:

If Eberle is moved, then Hemsky might be a decent fit to provide some RW depth. I’m usually not big on bringing back ghosts from the past, but after last season, Hemmer’s looking at a “show-me” contract, so I doubt he gets anything more than a 1 year deal for a lot less than his previous salary from anyone.

The Hanzal talk I don’t get at all. Everyone thinks that giving a 28 year old Lucic, who has never had injury troubles, a 7 year deal was such a terrible idea.

Hanzal is 30 – he hasn’t had a healthy season since 2009-2010. He’s the best centre on the market this summer, which pretty much guarantees he’ll have multiple suitors. A 32 year old Franz Neilson got 5.25 x 6 years from a cap-strapped Detroit last summer. Unless a miracle happens, Hanzal’s going to get something similar this summer.

It would be great to get a big centre like Hanzal – but signing the actual Hanzal would be a mistake.

23. who says:

Bruce McCurdy: Eberle: 20-31-51
    44-42-98-26-15 combined: 20-35-55

24. --hudson-- says:

digger50:

Anyone have a link or know which post has the Keith Gretzky interview? I missed that one.

25. Bruce McCurdy says:

who: Yeah but what numbers do you think Kassian, Slepyshev or JP will post given Eberle’s linemates, ice time and power play time next year. That is the real question.

You’re prepared to roll the dice on a bunch of single-digit goal scorers?

26. JDI says:

If Connor Freakin’ McDavid takes a discount to help the team, then every negotiation that takes place afterwards, starts with Chiarelli asking an agent where he thinks his player fits under Connor’s number, relatively speaking.

27. admiralmark says:

Ebs for Hamonic would be an absolute boon for this team. That would be $17.6 million allocated to fill the 1st AND 2nd pairing on this team until 2020. You then factor in some kind of a hometown discount for Drai and McD?! Amazing. The Cap capability of all these aspects would be just massive good news for this club. If i’m Chiarelli I would be burning the clock trying to make this happen… sweeten the deal if need be.

I think the idea of trading Eberle makes sense in a narrow window. It does not make sense as a way to make room for Puljujarvi and or SLepyshev. These men are prospects, they are not yet bona fide.

You could move Leon to RW, and run:

1. Draisaitl
    2..Puljujarvi
    3. Kassian
    4. Slepyshev
    5. Pitlick

You could do that, but wouldn’t be able to move Leon back to center.

30. who says:

Bruce McCurdy: You’re prepared to roll the dice on a bunch of single-digit goal scorers?

Only if the Oilers acquire a decent 3C. Someone like Eakin, Strome or Bjustad. That allows them to use Drai on the wing if needed.
    But I do think two of these other guys will score 15 if given the linemates and minutes. The only right winger to play more than 40 ?games was Kassian and none of them played feature minutes with top 6 linemates.
    Pitlick scored 8 goals in 30 games of fourth line minutes and I think he’s the fourth best offensive option in this group. Usage has a huge impact on box scores.

31. Scungilli Slushy says:

If I was McDavid’s coach, I’d want a RW that can play the boards, keep uppish with him and can work off the bazzillion looks they are going to get. I would not want McDavid defaulting to grinding because his wingers can’t. Tall order at this point, but I think it really works against Eberle remaining.

I don’t think he goes unless the deal is good, Chiarelli has some leverage here, some time. But at the end of the day, the guy with the biggest paycheck on RW pretty much has to be able to compliment the top centre.

The same is true for LW, but as long as Maroon can do that at a reasonable cost there is a little breathing room. This could cause problems with Lucic at some point and might jeopardize his place on the team if he can’t do it.

32. N64 says:

Bruce McCurdy: I’ve heard everything from “don’t protect Eberle from expansion draft” to “retain half of his salary just get rid of him” which I believe was an MSM though I have forgotten whose genius idea That was

Probably has breath in breathe out written on his arm in black marker in case he forgets.

1) If Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle (modulo less stuff on either side) brings the Oilers a legit cost-controlled #2 right shot right D, you make that deal, before or after the expansion draft. Otherwise, I’m not in a rush to trade either.

2) All things being equal, I would protect Khaira over Letestu, but with Sekera hurt, I can see them leaving Khaira unprotected so Reinhart wouldn’t be picked by Vegas. There are far fewer desirable cheap young forwards in the expansion draft right now than defensemen.

34. JDI says:

N64: in case he forgets.

How does he remember to look at his arm?

35. N64 says:

JDI: How does he remember to look at his arm?

In the original Klingon there was a headset in that joke

36. Thinker says:

Since we are being ridiculous, why not Benson at 1RW?

At some point we have to come to grips with the fact that we only had one top 9 RW last year. This was alleviated by the Draisaitl, giving us a 1-2 punch. With kassian as a solid 4RW, that left a bunch of misfit rookies to fill the void. While they played above expectations, none were able to play a checking role, or post solid offense. Pitlick looked good over a handful of games, but has never even cracked 30 in the AHL. Slepyshev’s highwater mark in any league is 25pts. Caggiula is a left hand shot, and shouldn’t even be in the discussion on a team with 2 right hand shooting forwards of note. Puljujarvi is more intriguing, but offense has been a concern with him, as he hasn’t blown the doors off. Betting on any of these guys to be top 6 next year is beyond foolish. I like all of them, but no way they all are here come 2019.

I understand this is the internet, where stupid gets clicks, but this is another level of stupid. If we trade eberle, we need two top 6RW, or an expensive shutdown 3C/offensive 2C. The point of this isn’t to rag on picks, who I actually like, but to make it clear that you can’t just flush eberle. If you trade him for a dman in a hockey deal, that is worth exploring, but then you have to replace him with a similar option ala lucic in the Hall trade. There is no internal answer here, unless you want to bet the season on JP being a 55+ pt player.

37. who says:

Thinker: You mean this Tyler Pitlick? http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123515

That is your guy? He hasn’t even scored 10 in the AHL, barely was a ppg in junior, and had a 14.8 shooting % over a 30 game stretch.

Did I say Pitlick was my choice as a top 6 option?
    I believe I said he was the fourth best offensive option, excluding Draisaitl, at right wing. Do you not believe he can play fourth line next year?

38. who says:

Thinker:
    who,

I missed the fourth, which is why I deleted the comment.

Fair enough

39. Marc says:

You could move Leon to RW, and run:

1. Draisaitl
    2..Puljujarvi
    3. Kassian
    4. Slepyshev
    5. Pitlick

You could do that, but wouldn’t be able to move Leon back to center.

If last off season gives us anything to go off of, Chia won’t force McLellan’s hand like that. Chia didn’t make any moves last year that would have forced his coach to deploy his roster in a particular way. If anything, he seemed to go out of way to give McLellan lots of flexibility.

He gave him 8 D with NHL deals – 3RD (Larsson, Fayne, Gryba) and 5 LD (Sekera, Klef, Russell, Nurse, Davidson), plus two near NHL ready guys brought in by the GM. This guaranteed (barring injury) that at least one NHL deal would be in the AHL, and decreased the the odds that the young guys brought in by the GM would actually make the team.

There were three Cs who could play on the top two lines, and two old vet Cs (Letestu, Hendricks), an AHL vet (Lander) and a young guy (Caggiula) competing for the C spot on the bottom two lines.

He moved the team’s best LW, but there were still 2 guys with experience playing top line LW on the roster, and he added one the 5 or 10 best LW in the league over the past 5 seasons as a free agent.

RW had the worst depth, but if Versteeg had signed as planned, there would have been three veterans with experience playing RW on the top 2 lines (Eberle, Versteeg, Kassian) a highly drafted rookie (Pulju) and two AHL guys (Pitlick, Slepy) to choose from to fill out the port side.

Rather than pencil guys into spots on roster before the season begins, Chia’s MO seems to be to make sure that his coach has a bunch of guys that could potentially fill each roster spot, and let his coach work out who goes where – even if it means that a $3M D is down in Bakersfield or and expensively acquired young player like Reinhart doesn’t get a look in.

This is a radically different approach to that taken by Oilers GMs during the decade of darkness.

It terms of what this could mean for this off season, I think RNH is goign nowhere. To allow McLellan to run Drai at 1RW if wants to, RNH would need to be replaced by someone with a track record of centering a top 2 line against tough opposition and still scoring 40-50 points. I just don’t see too many guys like that being available – if a team does have sucha guy, why would they trade him for a guy who does the same, but for more money?

Likewise, I don’t see Eberle moving unless there’s a guy that McLellan would feel comfortable running out at 1 RW coming back the other way, or coming in as a free agent. There are a few guys who fit the bill on the market, so I could definitely see Eberle move, but not in a straight up deal for a 2RD.

40. Professor Q says:

I wonder if Mike Bossy has any other crazy Blockbuster Trade proposals he can offer for Eberle?

41. HT Joe says:

Bruce McCurdy: Eberle: 20-31-51
    44-42-98-26-15 combined: 20-35-55

Hi Bruce, I respect your understanding of the game and your thoughtful posts. So with that setting the groundwork, what do you think happened to Eberle in the playoffs (I cannot stop focusing on zero goals). Do you think Eberle will be better in his second playoff stint, do you think he was fine this year but just unlucky, do you think he’s in the process of transitioning his game to become more defensive and it’s going to take time for him to re-establish his offensive levels, or other?

I’d love to hear your take on this. Thanks in advance!

42. OriginalPouzar says:

I think you can start with Eberle’s shooting percentage – in the playoff’s he was tied with Drai for 6th on the team in shots – Drai shot 27% and Eberle shot 0%.

In the regular season, Eberle was 2nd on the team in shots and shot 9.2%.

Eberle’s career shooting percentage is 13.4%.

Of course, the quality of shots is not included in this figure and maybe Eberle has regressed with respect to getting to scoring areas, however, one would think he would have a spike in his goals next year as he gets back to career norms.

I am not excusing Eberle’s poor boxcars in the playoffs, however, I believe people are making too much of a small sample size. A weak offensive 13 game playoff does not make his career.

Now, I understand negativity towards Eberle for his overall game – weak plays, maybe even lazy plays, questionable defensive play, etc. With that said, those parts of his game are improving (not great but improving).

As far as negativity towards Eberle based on his offence, even in his poor offensive year, he was still 21st in scoring in the NHL among RWs and his offence in the last 7 years since he came in to the league remains in the upper echelon.

It will be very tough to replace his offence (especially if he adds an extra 10 points next year which he is likely to do) for a lesser cap hit.

I understand he may need to go for cap reasons, however, like our general manger, I am not willing to just give the player away at this point – there needs to be value returned to the Oilers in the trade in addition to cap space.

43. stush18 says:

So LT says nuge is safe and iasnt getting moved so,

“Book it!” As we say here. lol

Seriously, I worried the lack of verbal means nuge is getting traded. Something like nuge and jones for hamonic and strome. It makes more sense for the oilers, it gives them a lot more flexibility.

44. Gerta Rauss says:

godot10: If Nugent-Hopkins or Eberle (modulo less stuff on either side) brings the Oilers a legit cost-controlled #2 right shot right D, you make that deal, before or after the expansion draft. Otherwise, I’m not in a rush to trade either

This is where I’m at as well

What’s that Lou Lamorello quote…?…”if you have time, use it”…or some such

I don’t think Chia needs to force anything this summer-if a deal for a 2RD is there, sure, but otherwise, keep your powder dry

He does have to address that 2nd pairing however.

If he can’t find a trade for a 2RD with term on his contract, I think Kevin Klein could be a stop gap for 1 season on the right side. I think the Rangers will be looking to shed salary to fit Shattenkirk onto their roster.

Klein and a veteran LHD on a 1 year deal (Campbell) or a cap dump trade like Garrison out of TBay

45. trencan says:

Congratulations to Madrid. Another Champions league triumph. I dont like them but I respect them… Sorry for spam…

46. dustrock says:

HT Joe: Hi Bruce, I respect your understanding of the game and your thoughtful posts.So with that setting the groundwork, what do you think happened to Eberle in the playoffs (I cannot stop focusing on zero goals).Do you think Eberle will be better in his second playoff stint, do you think he was fine this year but just unlucky, do you think he’s in the process of transitioning his game to become more defensive and it’s going to take time for him to re-establish his offensive levels, or other?

I’d love to hear your take on this.Thanks in advance!

Eberle will look bad, always, against San Jose and Anaheim. He historically does not score against them in the regular season. That is only magnified in a 7 game playoff series.

He couldn’t score. He was not effective. I get why fans are upset when he makes $6m and can’t put the puck in.

But you need people who can score in the 82 regular season games to even get into the playoffs. Eberle can score.

47. Diablo says:

What about Columbus?

Eberle, Jones and our 1st for Jenner, Murray, and their first
    Salaries are wash, Columbus gets the RW scorer they’re looking for, Seth’s little brother + a small pick bump, and they avoid losing a top 4 D in expansion.

We get a versatile centre and a mobile top 4 D. Sekera slides over to RD when he returns.

Oiler protect RNH, Lucic, Draisaitl and Jenner at forward; Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson, and Murray on D, Talbot in G.

Exposed: Maroon, Letestu, Kassian, Khaira, Pitlick, Pouliot at F; Reinhart, Russell, Fayne and Gryba on D and Brossoit in G

With the addition of Jenner, it would hurt less to lose a forward. Murray gives us a top 4D (albeit LH), and lessens the pressure to find one after the expansion draft.

Pie in the sky – it’ll never happen, but its nice to dream a bit.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

You would need to add Maroon as part of the acquisition cost and add Reinhart (or Khaira or whoever you feel we would have lost in expansion prior to making the trade prior to Maroon being exposed) as part of the payment.

49. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Puljujarvi and or SLepyshev.

I’m not even comfortable putting JP in the company of Slepy. The latter is an NHLer right now imo. We just don’t know what the ceiling is yet.

50. adamjames says:

stush18:
    So LT says nuge is safe and iasnt getting moved so,

“Book it!”As we say here. lol

Not to mention this makes more sense for the Isles as well. Think of Nuge as insurance in case Tavares walks.

51. leadfarmer says:

McDavid 9.7 per
    Draisatl 6.8 per

I don’t see these crazy 14 mil per for McDavid and 10 per for Draisatl happening.

If Hamonic is offered for Eberle you take the deal and run. Top 4d for less than 4 mil per is pretty sweet. You know a forward is moving. You can’t have that many 6 mil + forwards

52. stush18 says:

leadfarmer:
    McDavid 9.7 per
    Draisatl 6.8 per

If Hamonic is offered for Eberle you take the deal and run.Top 4d for less than 4 mil per is pretty sweet.You know a forward is moving.You can’t have that many 6 mil + forwards

I agree with the salaries. I can’t see an eberle for hamonic deal before expansion. Maybe some type of three way deal with vegas?

53. Rondo says:

I think the Oilers would like Joshua Norris at #22. Seems like an Oiler type player.

54. Rebilled says:

Diablo,

83 kinda dissed the oilers when he left. I’d be very surprised to see Ales in blue* again.

*orange

55. hags9k says:

I’d keep Eberle. He won’t bring enough value in trade right now, and he is a good NHL player. Keep.