IT’S POSSUMS IN THE AUTUMN (AND FARM CATS IN THE SPRING)

On March 2, 2015 Peter Chiarelli made his final trade as Boston Bruins general manager. Trying to push toward a playoff spot (the Bruins were in eighth place, two points up on Florida), Chiarelli grabbed winger Brett Connolly from the Tampa Bay Lightning. Boston finished the schedule with 25 points in their final 20 games, but narrowly missed the postseason. Chiarelli would be fired in the following days (April 15, 2015). The trade?

• Bruins trade a second-round pick in 2015 (Matthew Spencer) and a second-round pick in 2016 (Boris Katchouk) to Tampa Bay for Brett Connolly.
  • Peter Chiarelli about the trade: “He’s a straight-line player but he makes plays and he can really shoot the puck. He’s a player that we’ve looked at for a while. He’s a guy that we think can come in and help us right away and could have a long future for us.” Source

I bet PC would say almost the exact thing about Ryan Strome should he be the target, or Brett Ritchie (who shoots a helluva lot). Connolly posted two assists in five games after coming over that season and would deliver nine goals in 71 games as a Bruins winger in 2015-16. This past season, he was a value contract for the Washington Capitals (66gp, 15-8-23) and we’ll see where he ends up (don’t count out Edmonton).

Peter Chiarelli is willing to pay a high price for a player he believes can help him win. You can see it in the Connolly trade, the Reinhart trade, the Larsson trade—and the trade to come. Ryan Rishaug spoke yesterday on TSN1260’s morning show with Dusty Nielson and Wil Fraser, saying (basically) the Oilers may get the second best player in an Eberle deal.

Why would Peter Chiarelli do that? The only reasonable answer is that he sees something out there, possibly in free agency, that will help him win. My guess? A volume freaking shooter for the McDavid line. I don’t know his name, but that’s my guess as to player type. That player, along with getting Eberle’s salary off the books this summer (and not having it hang over the franchise as the season wears on) are the only logical explanations.

Tyler Pitlick was a volume shooter in 2016-17 (10.69 shots-per-60 at 5×5)

50-MAN ROSTER, JUNE 7 2017

1. G Cam Talbot. No. 1 goalie, will he have a veteran backup in 2017-18?
  2. G Laurent Brossoit. Will Vegas take him? Does PC know? Is this done??!??
  3. G Nick Ellis. Splendid first year pro, on par with Brossoit if he can sustain it.
  4. G Shane Starrett. Another college goalie with strong resume. First pro season coming up.
  5. G Dylan Wells. Slide rule, he’ll spend one more year in junior.
  6. LD Oscar Klefbom. Can he hit 40 points? 25 minutes a night? Quality.
  7. RD Adam Larsson. Consistent defenseman, with an edge.
  8. LD Andrej Sekera. He could be out for five months. A massive loss.
  9. RD Matt Benning. An absolutely stunning addition right where it was needed.
  10. LD Darnell Nurse. Will be relied on more with Sekera out.
  11. LD Griffin Reinhart, RFA. No. 7D if he survives the expansion draft.
  12. RD Mark Fayne. He is in the NHL mix with the Sekera injury.
  13. LD Ziyat Paigin. Wingspan of a Condor, pro experience, shutdown talent.
  14. LD Ben Betker. Big man should get a full AHL season.
  15. RD Ethan Bear. Posted a terrific junior career and should have prominent role in AHL.
  16. LD Caleb Jones. He arrives in pro hockey with good speed and a range of skills.
  17. RD Ryan Mantha. Interesting new arrival. Big man, big shot, good speed.
  18. LD William Lagesson. He’ll spend the year in SHL shutting down Swedish forwards.
  19. LC Connor McDavid. The enormity of his season is finally sinking in.
  20. LC Leon Draisiatl, RFA. Absolutely stunning season. Can he drive a scoring line?
  21. LC Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Shutdown series against the Sharks showed his iron.
  22. RC Mark Letestu. Great utility, can he score 16 again?
  23. LC Jujhar Khaira, RFA. A strong expansion candidate, brings size and rugged play.
  24. LC Joe Gambardella. Strong college career, he could surprise in Bakersfield.
  25. RC Kyle Platzer. He should get a feature role in Bakersfield if they believe in him at all.
  26. L Milan Lucic. He scored 23, played a rugged game and has more to give 5×5.
  27. L Patrick Maroon. His 27 goals last season may be a career season for him.
  28. L Drake Caggiula. He provides skill lines with a different look. Where will he play?
  29. L Benoit Pouliot. He can play, give him another chance with 97?
  30. L Braden Christoffer. AHL energy winger.
  31. L Tyler Benson. Slide rule, no update on his health in months.
  32. R Jordan Eberle. Cap and position may doom his return. 20+ goals like clockwork.
  33. R Jesse Puljujarvi. Oilers badly need a massive spike in year two.
  34. R Anton Slepyshev. I think he’ll be a regular, can he score 15? 20?
  35. R Zack Kassian. RFA. He has far more speed than anticipated, could score 10-15.
  36. R Iiro Pakarinen. Most recent signing, he’ll try to win 13 or 14F.
  37. R Patrick Russell. Scored only 8 times as rookie pro. Needs to fill the net this year.
  38. R Greg Chase. Final year of entry-level deal ahead, has shown only flashes.

TOO SOON TO KNOW

• G Eetu Laurikainen RFA. Not much on the Al Gore about him. He may be selling a dirt bike.
  • LD Kris Russell. Pierre Lebrun reports he conversation are getting underway.
  • RD Eric Gryba. PC also said the club would talk to Gryba, may depend on Reinhart.
  • LD Jordan Oesterle. His speed will get him an NHL chance and he may grab a job.
  • LD Mark Fraser. He was effective in his role, may return.
  • LD Dillon Simpson RFA. I think there’s room but we’ll have to wait and see.
  • LD David Musil RFA.. Sounds like an NHL contract is first choice, then Europe.
  • LC Anton Lander. Officially signs with Ak Bars of the KHL.
  • LC David Desharnais. Scored a huge goal versus San Jose, unlikely to be back.
  • LC Jere Sallinen. Signed in Sweden (Orebro HK) after unsuccessful season.
  • RC Henrik Samuelsson, RFA. Major disappointment after trade. Future unknown.
  • RC Zach Pochiro RFA. Remnant of Yakupov deal, unlikely to return.
  • L Matt Hendricks. In the olden days, this is where we start talking roving minor  league coach.
  • L Joey Laleggia. I bet the Oilers sign him.
  • R Tyler Pitlick. I would like to see him back, but Pakarinen’s signing confuses issue.
  • R Justin Fontaine. He is an interesting player, I could see him signing.
  • R Spencer Foo. Still no official word, but there’s good vibrations happening.

Photo by RobFerguson, all rights reserved

NHL SHOOTERS OVER NINE SHOTS-PER-60 (5×5)

1. Evander Kane, BUF (12.13)
  2. Brendan Gallagher, MON (12.05)
  3. Patrick Sharp, DAL (10.93)
  4. Tyler Pitlick, EDM (10.69)
  5. Brett Ritchie, DAL (10.40)
  6. Boone Jenner, CBJ (10.06)
  7. James vanRiemsdyk TOR (9.98)
  8. Patrick Eaves, ANA (9.27)
  9. Blake Wheeler, WPG (9.14)
  10. James Neal, NAS (9.04)
  11. Nick Ritchie, ANA (9.03)

This is a list of players I’m interested in, not necessarily those who are available. I’m not sure there are many on this list who the Oilers are able to procure, but if Peter Chiarelli can find a sniper this summer it’ll go a long way to helping this roster take that next step.

KEVIN HANCOCK

Whenever I mention Craig Button on this blog, the feedback is very strong from you. Not all negative or positive, but one of the things that comes through is that his rankings can be unsettling. My answer: His is not a consensus list. That’s what I like about him! You are getting an expert scout (who identified Jarome Iginla once upon a time) giving you his unvarnished opinion. Folks, that’s high value.

I also get asked what I value most about his rankings, and the answer is confirmation. I don’t watch these prospects, and even if I do watch them, I’m not looking at the same thing Button would be observing. I’m running math and looking for uniqueness, he’s using his eyes and his methods to project players five years down the line and making those projections public. How smart would I be to ignore him?

Let me give you an example. I have Kevin Hancock at No. 74 on my final list, remarking “draft re-entry having a fine offensive season” after having run his numbers (he posted 85 points in 68 games) and understanding he is an older eligible. I know some anecdotal things about him, for instance, he played on a fabulous line for Owen Sound (Nick Suzuki and Jonah Gadjovich) that ripped it up once placed together.

I don’t know what I don’t know about the player. He might be slow as molasses or maybe he scores garbage goals or maybe he’s scandalous defensively. Don’t know. Craig Button’s ranking has him No. 86, and that informs me about him and how a professional scout projects him. That’s why Craig Button’s list is unique and important. I’m not telling you to value it more than you do, or at all, but for me this suggests my math is attached to a bona fide prospect.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we hit the ground running. TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. We’ll chat about the all-time No. 1 team (1985 Oilers) and about the RW depth chart.
  • Ryan Pike, Flames Nation. The Burke comments, the Flames organization’s reaction, and what changes the Flames may make over the summer.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. My plan is to talk Eberle-to-the-Islanders but we could go any of 100 places.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

69 Responses to "IT’S POSSUMS IN THE AUTUMN (AND FARM CATS IN THE SPRING)"

1. TO10801 says:

LT,

You mentioned stome+Halak for Eberle yesterday, but could that deal maybe be Hamonic + Halak for Eberle. That would be an extra $1.3M for the oilers, but makes some sense if they have a deal for Vegas to take Brossoit. Would also give the team time to see if Ellis can handle the backup role in 2018-19.

2. Ducey says:

Button is a self promoting blowhard.

The drafts he supervised as GM were brutal.

He took Brent Krahn 9th overall in 2000, Chuck Kobasew 14th overall in 2001, and Eric Nystom 10th overall in 2002.

How that qualifies you as an expert, I don’t know.

If we go back 5 yrs we see his reach picks didn’t turn out so well.

3. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! I bet Ebs doesn’t get traded…Any “suggestions” that that he is in play, is no doubt coming from people outside the Oil organization: Chia’s been good with tight lips

– I will keep posting this as I get responses: Arm-Chair GM: winner gets a paypal contribution:

1) Which Oil player will Vegas select?:
    2) Who is our first pick in the Entry Draft?
    3) Does Ebs get moved? (bonus if you pick for who)
    4) Does RNH get moved (bonus if you pick for who)
    5) Who is our back-up G on game 1?
    6) Total $ amount/years for Russell (0 is an answer)
    7) Total $ amount/years of McDavid’s contract?
    8) Total $ amount/years of Drai’s contract?
    9) Which 2 D dress with Larsson/Klef/Nurse/Benning on game 1?
    10) Biggest off-season F acquired in terms of salary?:
    11) Is Jessie playing in NHL game 1?
    12) How many roster trades does Chia make?

Please send in the following format. Entries eligible untill the first transaction and/or Vegas draft:

4. Ribs says:

When it comes to Button (or any number of these diehard draft gurus for that matter), I always think “The more information made available about these players, the better”. Their rankings are a secondary thing that are not really that important as they all tend to look pretty similar by draft day any way.

5. Primetime says:

I really don’t have a strong opinion of Button one way or the other. He certainly is passionate about what he does, which is always a plus.

One thing I always attribute to him is the fact that he has been very high on Klefbom from the moment we drafted him. Even through the early injury troubles and lack of offense in Sweden, I would hear him on Bob’s show telling everyone to be patient (his 5 year view). He mentioned multiple times that he felt Oscar would become the Oilers “Seabrook”.

6. Ducey says:

TSN is reporting that the Oilers and the agent for Russell are talking.

That would seem to undermine rumours the Oilers would be looking seriously at Hamonic.

7. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Ducey:
    TSN is reporting that the Oilers and the agent for Russell are talking.

– Last year they flew in Demers: you don’t want to appear desperate when everyone knows OIL have to updgrade their D (again…)

8. TO10801 says:

Ducey,

No necessarily. Rishaug said on the morning show that they would look to bring in Russell at a number that if he had to be moved to 3rd pairing at some point he would be affordable there. Plus with Sekera out I think adding a couple D would be advisable.

9. jtblack says:

LT: Where is all this crazy action the media was hyping up? starting to remind me of the trade deadline …

I think you are seeing that it’s not that easy for teams to move 1 part, because the part they acquire back in the trade, then has to be protected, so they haven’t solved their problem … So the solution is to move out a player that must be left unprotected (Vatanen), but try and bring back a player that is on ELC or is a draft pick … Which is a lot of risk to take on when giving up an established NHL player ..

I do think a few domino’s will fall once the Final is done …

10. jtblack says:

PC once traded away Matt Hendricks (yes our guy!) for Johnny Boychuk … has to be one of his better trades ..

11. trencan says:

Ducey:
    TSN is reporting that the Oilers and the agent for Russell are talking.

Well, it is good to know the range of Russels salary expectations now and based on this information you can decide whether make a trade for another TOP4 RHD (and let Russel go to Vegas) or keep Russel in Edmonton. I also think Eberle is not plan A for NYI and they are targeting Duchene for something like – Hamonic+Strome +1st round…

Ducey:
    TSN is reporting that the Oilers and the agent for Russell are talking.

Sekera is injured. The Oilers need Hamonic (or equivalent) plus at least one stop gap D.

It is important to talk to Russell to know what the contract parameters might be before going into the expansion and entry draft frenzies.

13. Whatif says:

I always find it interesting to see how various gurus rate draft eligible players. The key for me is their rationale as why they rate them as they do. What are the strengths and weaknesses, where do their skill sets fall, how well do they skate and how do they score their goals.

This is the type of information you just can’t get from looking at lists and is largely the basis on which decisions will be made.

This year the discussion is more wide open than it has been for years. We are no longer just looking at the top 1-3 players in the draft. We are looking at the top 20 or more.

14. GMB3 says:

Hello Lowetidians. I know this is a long shot and if this breaks forum rules feel free to delete.

For any of you in bc/washington or even Alberta, I have two tickets for the Friday mariners Jays game. I was going to travel down tomorrow with my gf but she can’t fly into Vancouver in time now, so I won’t be able to make the game. They are section 143, row 18, third base side of the field. I paid 200 American for the st but would be willing to part with them for 150 Canadian OBO. Just trying to recoup some of the cost of the tickets. You can email me at greg26_16@hotmail.com.

If anyone has ideas of how I should get rid of them I’d be willing to take some advice. Gonna try and make the Saturday game instead.

Thanks all

15. Brantford Boy says:

GMB3,

Stubhub

16. John Chambers says:

Evander Kane is a left shot, but is he capable of playing RW? Speed, size, a shooter, and a mere 25.

Would you trade Ebs and Poo to Buf for the lesser of two Kane’rs?

17. jtblack says:

GMB3,

Try kijijii or stub hub bud …

18. jtblack says:

John Chambers,

Why would Buffalo even remotely consider this deal? please explain

19. Rondo says:

Evander Kane is a cancer to the locker room. No way Oilers would be interested.

20. stush18 says:

jtblack:
    John Chambers,

Why would Buffalo even remotely consider this deal? please explain

Not sure why we would want him though

21. Ducey says:

godot10: Sekera is injured.The Oilers need Hamonic (or equivalent) plus at least one stop gap D.

I think its more likely they will get a stop gap LHD and Russell who will be second pairing RHD. This allows them to keep Eberle (or trade him for something else).

22. jtblack says:

stush18,

I am saying, why in the world would Buffalo take on $10 Million in salary and give up $6?? doesn’t make sense ..

yes, run away from E Kane …

23. Professor Q says:

stush18: I think Kane is a problem child. It’s been reported they would like to move him this summer.

Not sure why we would want him though

He also tends to get injured a lot.

24. Ducey says:

Rondo:
    Evander Kane is a cancer to the locker room.No way Oilers would be interested.

He certainly seems to have his troubles. He is also UFA in a year and no way he stays in EDM.

He is all bright lights, big city.

Looks to me to be a future Flyer, Bruin, Ranger or King.

25. hunter1909 says:

Seeing how Lowetide has Dr Drai on the cover…

Have been following the angst of some of my hab fan pals, as PK sits poised to do what true hab fans wanted him to do for the Canadiens: win a freaking cup.

It’s like Hall+Disraitl were currently playing for the semi finalists, while Lowe+MacT(Chiarelli’s too smart so I’ll happily insert a more Marc Bergevin type GM here), keep playing personal favorites with the team’s management.

Subhan for his side of the story has seamlessly fit into the Nashville hockey scene like a breath of fresh air. Literally every negative portrayed in Montreal has instantly been flipped to positive…galling Montreal hard core fans all the more, lol.

26. doritogrande says:

Evander Kane is a cancer to the locker room. No way Oilers would be interested.

Two words: Zack Kassian.

You look at every possible option when improving a team. I lived through his days in Winnipeg. He’s a child, but put him on McDavid’s wing and he’ll be a productive child. Would probably come cheap.

27. jtblack says:

doritogrande,

Substance abuse issues and being a cancer in the room are two different things … The general consensus is that nobody likes playing with or hanging around E Kane.

The Oilers guys love Kassian. He’s a good guy, who struggled with other issues in the past, not the issue of being a good guy / teammate ..

Some guys never become good teammates / good guys / good ppl … E Kane is on the list after 8 years in the NHL …

Talent can seduce ppl … There’s no question he has talent .. but it’s best served NOT being on the Oilers …

28. hunter1909 says:

doritogrande:
    Evander Kane is a cancer to the locker room. No way Oilers would be interested.

Two words: Zack Kassian.

Good call. Peer pressure can work wonders on a young player. Also, the thought that Edmonton instantly becomes cemented as the premiere destination for turning troubled careers around virtually adds up to a perpetual lottery pick in NHL ready players(Kassian is a borderline phenomenal player).

29. hunter1909 says:

McDavid will probably end up being the team’s Messier – his intensity is unmatched. Even Toews wilts under McDavid’s steely glare ha ha.

This is another McDavid factor: Chiarelli has options not many other GM’s get: McDavid brought Lucic and will no doubt lead us poor slob fans to another shock or more(good ones) anytime between now and the next trade deadline.

30. Scungilli Slushy says:

The Oilers have always gone on about character, and still do. A big part of Connor staying an Oilers is liking the team. The Oilers like each other it seems. I would be surprised to see a prima donna or player with a self centred attitude come into the fold.

31. hunter1909 says:

I like to make McDavid knock another hole in his parent’s garage wall this summer.

While he’s doing that, he can think about how much he’s going to massacre the NHL next October-June.

32. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: When your best player is publicly humble and team first that is the face of the team. I enjoyed a lack of drama this season personally, all the drama on the ice.

As a Lowe+MacT survivor, I can understand this pov. Usually Lowe+MacT made bigger fools of themselves in the off season, with shenanigans like stalking players at their summer homes.

As captain, McDavid won’t take crap from anyone. Kane would either shape up quickly, or find himself off the team. The Oilers just about made the semi finals this season. They’re a new team going places in a way they haven’t done since 199 freaking whenever Messier left.

Chiarelli canned Taylor Hall – which means he’s willing to trade anyone not named Connor McDavid. Him, McLellan plus the boardroom level crew look pointed in the same direction – like Detroit used to be. Eberle’s leaving won’t make any difference, since the rest of the team is going to improve automatically after the playoffs.

33. classict says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

–I will keep posting this as I get responses: Arm-Chair GM: winner gets a paypal contribution:

1) Which Oil player will Vegas select?:
    2) Who is our first pick in the Entry Draft?
    3) Does Ebs get moved? (bonus if you pick for who)
    4) Does RNH get moved (bonus if you pick for who)
    5) Who is our back-up G on game 1?
    6) Total $ amount/years for Russell (0 is an answer)
    7) Total $ amount/years of McDavid’s contract?
    8) Total $ amount/years of Drai’s contract?
    9) Which 2 D dress with Larsson/Klef/Nurse/Benning on game 1?
    10) Biggest off-season F acquired in terms of salary?:
    11) Is Jessie playing in NHL game 1?
    12) How many roster trades does Chia make?

1 Pouliot
    2 Vesalainen
    3 Yes (to Florida)
    4 No
    5 Broissoit
    6 Russell – 3 x 3.5 (oh god…)
    7 McDavid – 8 x 9.5
    8 Drai – 8 x 6.8
    9 Russell / Petrovic
    10 Vanek
    11 Yes
    12 2 (not counting a UFA forward pickup)

34. John Chambers says:

jtblack:
    stush18,

I am saying, why in the world would Buffalo take on $10 Million in salary and give up $6??doesn’t make sense ..

yes, run away from E Kane …

The Oilers would shed salary (to nothing beyond this coming season), and a look at a player with phenomenal talent who has now worn out his welcome in 2 cities.

As other posters have mentioned, the leadership of McDavid, and the maturation of the player that may come with age and shame, could unlock the player’s potential given that he has:

– speed
    – size
    – shooting acumen

I don’t measure the deal to be at all lopsided. How do you figure so?

35. TO10801 says:

Bob hinting at a 6-7M RHD with a couple years left on his deal may want to come to Edmonton once their contract expires. Doughty?

36. dustrock says:

TO10801:

This is the purest form of speculation How would he possibly know this? Madness.

37. Oddspell says:

TO10801:

I’ll choose to dream of Karlsson. Complete that Swede, Swede trifecta.

Plus, wasn’t Karlsson vocally disgruntled with management in Ottawa recently? Something about not willing to spend to win I think.

Seems like it’s beyond a doubt honestly!

38. jzed says:

I got the impression no one else could even talk money until Dari and Him were sorted, ……… massive we’ve signed and traded moment on the way??

jzed:

I would think the contracts would be surrounded if not agreed upon.

40. leadfarmer says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

1) Which Oil player will Vegas select?:
    2) Who is our first pick in the Entry Draft?
    3) Does Ebs get moved? (bonus if you pick for who)
    4) Does RNH get moved (bonus if you pick for who)
    5) Who is our back-up G on game 1?
    6) Total $ amount/years for Russell (0 is an answer)
    7) Total $ amount/years of McDavid’s contract?
    8) Total $ amount/years of Drai’s contract?
    9) Which 2 D dress with Larsson/Klef/Nurse/Benning on game 1?
    10) Biggest off-season F acquired in terms of salary?:
    11) Is Jessie playing in NHL game 1?
    12) How many roster trades does Chia make?

I hope this ends by the time the cup is lifted as once pieces start moving it will be an unfair advantage

1. Reinhart
    2. Brannstrom
    3. Yes, to NYI for Hamonic
    4. No
    5. Brossoit
    6. 4years. 3.5 per. ( Not saying this is a good thing)
    7. 8 years 9.7 mil per
    8. 8 years 7.2 mil per
    9. Russell, Hamonic
    10. Your mom. J/k Thornton
    11. Yes
    12. 3 (I assume this is total trades and not total moving pieces)

41. jtblack says:

John Chambers,

If you can find any GM to take Ebs and Pou($10 Mil) and only send back $6 mil: sign me up!!

42. N64 says:

dustrock: This is the purest form of speculationHow would he possibly know this?Madness.

It’s the Hunter the Lynx tatoo on Doughboy’s Instagram feed that did it.

43. dustrock says:

N64: It’s the Hunter the Lynx tatoo on Doughboy’s Instagram feed that did it.

ha ha ha

44. adamjames says:

This sounds a lot like the Brent Seabrook hinting he used to do

TO10801:

45. Ducey says:

Wake me up in 3 yrs.

46. Ducey says:

John Chambers: The Sabres would get two productive NHL players, including the best player (Eberle) in the deal, each with 2 years left on their contracts.

– speed
    – size
    – shooting acumen

I don’t measure the deal to be at all lopsided. How do you figure so?

Eberle and Pouliot are likely to bounce back this year. Ebs had a career low shooting percentage.

I imagine Kane might be pretty motivated given he is going UFA. So that would be good if you can keep him away from jail, girls, bars, his teammates and the media.

But that’s the problem. You get him for 1 yr and then he is gone.

So how do you fill 1st line RW and 3 line LW the following season.

Maybe JP steps up but he will be 20. Most likely not a solid option.

Signing UFA’s has not been super useful: Sekera (good), Lucic (ok), Pouliot, Fayne, Russell. You always overpay.

So then you need to trade. You need to give up more assets or take on someone else’s problem.

I’d rather trade Eberle for something that will be of use for some time. A good young player who might fit in the top 1/2 of the lineup and would be useful for a number of years would be better than a 1 yr rental.

Sure you have to hang onto Pouliot, but if he bounces back, problem fixed. At worst he is a very expensive 4th line LW for this year. You can trade him next summer.

47. Jordan says:

Niskanen? 5.8M
    Markov? 5.8M
    Hamilton? 5.8M
    Lindholm? 5.7M
    Staal? 5.7M
    Keith? 5.5M

Realistically, most of the players are players I would take on my team, but very few are players I would pay what they are currently making to play on this Oilers roster.

How many would take a hair cut to play for the Oilers? How many of them have their contracts expire in the next couple years?

My bet is there are a lot of players who look at the Oilers as a desirable place to play now.

The question is, how many will do so for less than they are worth. I think that’s going to determine who joins this team moving forwards.

48. Professor Q says:

Jordan,

Some of those have a lot more than “just a few years” left on their contracts, however.

49. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Jordan,

– Of that list, in terms of possible gets: Brent Burns makes us the best team in the league IMO:

Klef- Larsson
    Me-Burns
    Nurse-Benning

50. N64 says:

Isn’t that Chara’s contract number? Just pointing that out before Cassandra does 😉

51. CalVag says:

Curious if this means Chara will come after he retires…

Edit: sorry quoted wrong poster

52. Genjutsu says:

I wonder how creative the Oilers will get in an effort to shed cap and try and ice a real contender in the final year of McDavid’s ELC.

Would they be able to convince Las Vegas to take Poo with the agreement that they’ll trade Fayne Jones and 22OV for a guy like Pysyk?

Having more picks in this year’s draft and D starting their ELC I’m sure are huge priorities in Vegas.

53. Ribs says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Jordan,

Klef- Larsson
    Me-Burns
    Nurse-Benning

Even with you playing with him? haha. I like it.

54. Ribs says:

RC Henrik Samuelsson, RFA. Major disappointment after trade. Future unknown.

3 points in 25 AHL games this year. Crazy. It’s sad how injuries can completely derail these guys sometimes.

55. Rondo says:

Can’t believe Hockey Prospect has Owen Tippett at #22. No Kristian Vesalainen or Kailer Yamamoto, in the top 31.

56. dustrock says:

N64: Isn’t that Chara’s contract number?Just pointing that out before Cassandra does

He said RHD.

57. N64 says:

dustrock: He said RHD.

retirement heading defence?

58. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Ribs: Even with you playing with him? haha. I like it.

– well full disclosure I played on my high school hockey team 25 years ago with a guy who had a successful career as a D and he played for the Oil for a bit so technically I’d be considered part of the OBC if I really pushed it. And I’d play for league minimum to help out the cap situation.

– Plus when sek comes back he’d probably replace me after a few games and he gets rid of the rust.

– I’d bring a lot of locker room intensity, work hard mentoring the kids, give 110 percent, be the last one off the ice in practice and be a team player and believe in my teammates

59. buck yoakam says:

how about eberle to new jersey for kovalchuk?….ebs gets to move in with taylor and new jersey sign kovi for two years at around 3 big ones?….just a thought….

60. Truth says:

I would trade a lot to get Gallagher. He’s definitely a Chiarelli type player.

61. LoDog says:

Only way Hamonic becomes an Oiler is if LV takes him and then trades with the Oilers. The Oilers only screw themselves making a trade before the expansion draft.

62. digger50 says:

jtblack:
    doritogrande,

Substance abuse issues and being a cancer in the room are two different things …The general consensus is that nobody likes playing with or hanging around E Kane.

Some guys never become good teammates / good guys / good ppl … E Kane is on the list after8 years in the NHL …

Hmmm, sounds like a reputation evolved from rumours. Not sure I buy into any of that.

Remember Ho Sangs attitude problems? Kid slept in. Show me a kids who doesn’t have this problem.

63. buck yoakam says:

LoDog,

I strongly agree and I wouldn’t trust snow for a minute….or make any deals with the nyi….we are dealing from strength now….not the poor whipping boys anymore….

64. Ribs says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: And I’d play for league minimum to help out the cap situation.

How kind of you! 🙂

65. Jaxon says:

Inspired by your shots/60 list, I’ve filtered out 113 NHL forwards with over 300 ESminutes, 7.00 Shots (top 180) and 1.15 Primary Points (top 180) per 60 at 5-on-5. These are the names that jump out, either for that combo plus being known for speed, or the fact that their name has popped up in rumours or they may be available via free agency (rank by shots/60, rank by Prim PTs/60):

Sorted by Shots/60 5-on-5:
    LW Evander Kane (2,47), RW Brandan Gallagher (3,52), LW Viktor Arvidsson (5,23), RW Brett Ritchie (11,108), C Boone Jenner (15,106), LW James Van Riemsdyk (19,20), C Nathan MacKinnon (24,73), RW Patrick Eaves (28,70), C Connor McDavid (43,4), RW Michael Grabner (46,28), RW Nino Niederreiter (52,5), C Andreas Athanasiou (54,29), CR Sam Gagner (55,43), RW Jordan Eberle (60,96), C Chris Kreider (66,33), LW Magnus Paajarvi (69,31), C Martin Hanzal (72,72), C Patrick Marleau (78,102), RW Stefan Noesen (82,107), C Brock Nelson (90,71), LW Patrick Maroon (94,41), RW Brian Gionta (106,92), LW Jason Chimera (107,56), RW Jaromir Jagr (113,76).

Gallagher would be my number one target from this list, but it would probably take Nugent-Hopkins to get him. Evander Kane is interesting but I’d worry if he might be a bad influence on the attitude of the team. I’m not sure how much of that is fact and how much of that is rumour, though. If I had inside info that it was more rumour than fact, then I’d take a run at him, too. Ritchie and Jenner haven’t accomplished a lot, but they have great potential. If Nathan MacKinnon is really on the block, I’m not sure what I’d pay to have him play alongside McDavid, but it would be a heckuva lot. Grabner’s speed has always been intriguing, as well as his on-again-off-again ability to score, and if his play on the other side of the puck has improved, I would love to see him play in Edmonton. Niederreiter had a great season. Athanasiou has so much speed and skill that he could be deadly on Mcdavid’s wing, too. Gagner shows very well here and many people were saying his resurgence was due to his PP time. His placement in shots and points/60 at 5-on-5 say otherwise. The caveat being that he was playing lower in the lineup against weaker competition. Eberle is a quality RW. Period. Paajarvi is another former Oiler that shows up in an interesting spot via these metrics. Hanzal is available for only cap money, and I don’t think he’ll be too expensive. He also plays C so he’d give TMac another option for his flexible lines. Marleau would be a great veteran option as would Gionta, Chimera and Jagr. It would also be pretty neat to see McDavid play between Lucic and Jagr, if only for a few games to live out his dream line from when he was little, haha (there is an interview when he was younger mentioning Lucic and Jagr as his dream linemates. Not a great way to build a lineup, but a great story. Noesen is a player that was bought low due to years of injury bad luck. New Jersey may have found a hidden gem there. Brock Nelson has often been mentioned in EDM-NYI rumours and he shows up well here.

66. Jaxon says:

Jordan: Ignoring the fact that this is the worst kind of rumour-mongering because there is nothing here but a salary range and a position with no real timeline, and the fact that Bob’s show is for all intents and purposes a hype machine for the oilers, this is an unexpected and interesting piece of news.

So, who could this be?

Niskanen? 5.8M
    Markov? 5.8M
    Hamilton? 5.8M
    Lindholm? 5.7M
    Staal? 5.7M
    Keith? 5.5M

How many would take a hair cut to play for the Oilers?How many of them have their contracts expire in the next couple years?

The question is, how many will do so for less than they are worth.I think that’s going to determine who joins this team moving forwards.

Actually, the only three players who fit the criteria of a couple years left on their contracts at $6-7M are Drew Doughty with 2 years left at $7.65 salary and a $7 cap hit, Erik Karlsson with 2 years left at $7.5 salary and a $6.5 cap hit, and Oliver Ekman-Larsson with 2 years left at $7 salary and a $5.5 cap hit. EDIT: 2 players. Ekman-Larsson is left handed.

67. Jaxon says:

I always wonder why some players don’t take reduced money to build a cup winner. Do agents talk them out of it? Does the NHLPA talk them out of it? Is it frowned upon? Does greed and ego play a big role? Is it just long term security? I’d like to think that if I had enough talent in this cap dependent NHL, if settle for $4M to ensure better odds at achieving my ultimate goal.

Imagine a D Corps of:
    Oliver Ekman-Larsson – Erik Karlsson
    Oscar Klefbom – Adam Larsson
    Darnell Nurse – Matt Benning/Ethan Bear/Ryan Mantha/Conor Timmins

All at under 4 or 5 million.

68. russ99 says:

trencan: Well, it is good to know the range of Russels salary expectations now and based on this information youcan decide whether make a trade for another TOP4 RHD (and let Russel go to Vegas) orkeep Russel in Edmonton. I also think Eberle is not plan A for NYI and they are targeting Duchene for something like – Hamonic+Strome +1st round…

The only way Russell goes to Vegas is if he agrees to sign there.

Even if he doesn’t come back here, it would be stupid to sign before July 1st, why close the market before it opens.

Besides he wants to play close to home, so unless there’s no Western Canadian interest, I doubt he even entertains an offer from Vegas.

69. theres oil in virginia says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: well full disclosure I played on my high school hockey team 25 years ago with a guy who had a successful career as a D and he played for the Oil for a bit so technically I’d be considered part of the OBC if I really pushed it

Hypocrite!