SCREAMING TARGETS: ZDENO CHARA

We’re on the edge of the major eruptions of summer and it seems as though this is going to be a fortnight to remember. The new Las Vegas team appears to be igniting all kinds of activity and changes in the weather. How will that impact Edmonton? We know the club has less to lose in expansion than some others (Minnesota, Anaheim) in the Western Conference, mostly because of the long list of players ineligible for the draft. We also know that the club is going to be even more top heavy this fall due to Leon Draisaitl’s increased contract and possibly other major additions.

SCREAMING TARGETS ZDENO CHARA

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.00 (1st among all Bruins forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.49 (two points in 27 minutes)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 52.5
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: -2.9
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 52.9
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: 1.5 (39 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 136 shots/7.4%
  • Boxcars: 75gp, 10-19-29
  • (All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)
  • Special thanks to GMoney and Woodguy for sharing the DFF’s

Chara has a cap hit of $4 million and this is the final year of his deal. As a replacement for Andrej Sekera there is some appeal and even the cap number is somewhat manageable. The Woodmonies indicate the big  man still plays an enormous amount against elites and the Dangerous Fenwick is exceptional considering how much he is playing elites at 110 years old. Speed is an issue for sure, but as a trade option he’s worth discussing in my opinion. Maybe Peter Chiarelli can get that second-round pick back while he’s at it.

The Oilers are going to need a strong AHL team in Bakersfield, to cover for injuries, slumps and the top heavy cap disallowing veteran mid-level options. As we approach free agency, it might be informative to look at current projected Condors under Edmonton’s control.

CURRENT 17-18 CONDORS

1. G Nick Ellis. Splendid first year pro, on par with Brossoit if he can sustain it.
  2. G Shane Starrett. Another college goalie with strong resume. First pro season coming up.
  3. LD Ziyat Paigin. Wingspan of a Condor, pro experience, shutdown talent.
  4. LD Ben Betker. Big man should get a full AHL season.
  5. RD Ethan Bear. Posted a terrific junior career and should have prominent role in AHL.
  6. LD Caleb Jones. He arrives in pro hockey with good speed and a range of skills.
  7. RD Ryan Mantha. Interesting new arrival. Big man, big shot, good speed.
  8. LC Joe Gambardella. Strong college career, he could surprise in Bakersfield.
  9. RC Kyle Platzer. He should get a feature role in Bakersfield if they believe in him at all.
  10. L Braden Christoffer. AHL energy winger.
  11. R Iiro Pakarinen. Most recent signing, he’ll try to win 13 or 14F.
  12. R Patrick Russell. Scored only 8 times as rookie pro. Needs to fill the net this year.
  13. R Greg Chase. Final year of entry-level deal ahead, has shown only flashes.

Clearly more men will be needed, and there could be additional players from last year’s team. Jordan Oesterle, Dillon Simpson, Henrik Samuelsson and Joey Laleggia could sign and be used as AHL options with callups possible. This team needs help at AHL center and that’s a fact.  Spencer Foo could be signed as a college free agent, and the Oilers could draft overagers who could come to pro right away.

I introduced a list of CHL overagers a few weeks ago and today I’m going to have a lash at the European players who are at least second-time eligible. I like the Finnish goalie Vehvilainen.

EUROPEAN OVERAGERS 2017 DRAFT

1. F Andrey Altybarmakyan, St.Petersburg (MHL).  Undersized scorer.
  2. LC Igor Svyrev, Magnitogorsk (MHL). Skill center, impressive offense.
  3. RD Filip Westerlund, Frolunda (SHL). Impressive passing skills, some chaos on D.
  4. G Veini Vehvilainen, Jyp (Sm-Liiga). A .912SP, he has a solid resume and is draft re-entry.
  5. L Roman Krikunenko, HK Ryazan (VHL). Small skill winger.
  6. L Alexander Polunin, Yaroslavl Lokomotiv (KHL). Small skill winger, great shot.
  7. L Dominik Lakatos, Liberec (Czech). Established scorer already in highest Czech league.
  8. L Tim  Soderlund, Skelleftea (SHL). Small W with some offense, playing part time.
  9. F Joona Luoto, Tappara (Sm-Liiga). Big winger who can win battles, has some offensive ability.
  10. LC Andrei Svetlakov, CSKA Moscow (KHL). KHL regular, has some skill.
  11. W Juha Jaaska, HIFK (Jr. Sm-Liiga). Has the complete range, shy offense.

OWEN TIPPETT

The Nation Network (Oilers Nation, Flames Nation, etc) is absolutely coming out of their shoes during their current draft profile at bats. Brilliant stuff, I have to say gents like J.D. Burke are raising the level of analysis and should be applauded for fine work. The rankings have Owen Tippett at No. 13 overall (here) and that may be good news for the Oilers. Tippett is the best volume shooter in the draft (well, he or Eeli Tolvanen) and if he falls to mid-teens perhaps there is a trade up possibility. I recommend reading Burke’s profile, terrific work. I have Tippett at No. 3 overall in this year’s draft.

Colin Miller would be another interesting addition for the Oilers. He had a good season in Boston, I had him on my possibles list one year ago. He could be a solid addition, no idea what the ask might be but worth pursuing.

Volume shooter! Neal posted a 9.04 shots-per-60 total this past season and that’s a solid number. Final year of his contract, a fine plug-and-play option if the price is right. Contract is $5 million large. Great release, has scored 20 or more for several years in a row.

Yost is one of the best at evaluating questions based on math and reason and delivers a compelling argument for Ilya Kovalchuk as a short-term option. Edmonton should be interested, this is a volume shooter who could post a big number alongside Connor McDavid. Do the Oilers have the cap room? What would the cost be to the organization (getting him out of NJ)? Interesting option.

THIS WEEK IN THE OILERS

I wrote last night about the Oilers possibly making a move this week to improve the club before expansion. If names like Jared Spurgeon and James Neal are out there, suspect the possibility exists of a trade before this weekend and the expansion protected lists being submitted to NHL head office. The business of summer could be over quickly. I’ll have updates if things get crazy.

86 Responses to "SCREAMING TARGETS: ZDENO CHARA"

1. nvan97 says:

I was wondering will the team holding the asset or the Knights command a higher return for a player? Let’s say the Wild know that they have to expose Dumba and are looking to trade him so he isn’t picked for nothing. Would you be better off making that trade or waiting til Vegas picks him and then trade with them? Surely you would get a better trade from Minnesota but then you will have to expose an additional player on your own roster because you are unlikely to trade a player that would need protecting.

2. TO10801 says:

I would love to have Chara depending on cost of course.

The Doughty talk kind of reminds me of the Subban talk last year, but Freidman mentioned (on Bob’s show I think) that LA thinks they are still a playoff team. I don’t think Edmonton will be in the mix (they would likely want Drai +) but it would be interesting to see what they could fetch that would help now. Maybe LA and COL could work something out around Doughty and McKinnon.

3. TO10801 says:

nvan97,

I absolutely think the oil should add a Dman before expansion. Losing Kassian or Letestu would be worth avoiding the bidding war started by Vegas post expansion IMO.

4. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! Chara would be great, except that he plays for Boston, and by multiple sources, they di$ked over Chia on the Dougie trade for a lesser package… unless it’s a 3-way deal.

– @ 4$MM though he’s too much value to be a guy Boston wants to move IMO. Plus by all accounts both sides want to re-sign.

5. jtblack says:

“at 110 years old. Speed is an issue for sure” ….. I think Chara is only in his late 90’s. I watched him live once when he was with Ottawa. His reach is a game changer .. Dominant player! I would gladly take him for 1 or 2 years … depending on price of course ..

With Chara being that rare player, who was huge and actually can play the game; what do you think of Nic Hague? Hague is 6’7″. I think this kid has a legit pro career ahead .. Braydon Coburn type?

I just don’t see teams moving parts ahead of the expansion draft. It’s turned into a game of chicken. I think once the OIlers see who Vegas get on D, then they can negotiate with LV if they get 1 or 2 of the good d men ..

Great stuff as always LT.

6. dustrock says:

People talk about LA needing to rebulid, but they have so much money wrapped up in veteran players I’m not sure they can realistically do that unless some teams want to do them big favours for no particular reason.

dustrock:

I don’t buy they are rebuilding to be honest. I could buy that Doughty wants out though.

8. jtblack says:

Owen Tippett is a Gunner. Seems like the exact player 97 needs on his wing …

If Tippett is still there after 10, do the Oilers trade up for him? LT has him at #3, so he likes him a lot.

I haven’t seen him at all …. Is he Jake Virtanen 2.0? same style. or will Tippett score at the next level ..?

9. jtblack says:

Why would Doughty want out? What’s the word?

jtblack:

Why would Doughty want out?What’s the word?

I have no evidence, only speculation.

11. Moose says:

LT,

When I read the final paragraph about Jared Spurgeon and James Neal possibly being available, in my head I read it as “Jared Smithson…”

Talk about Oiler PTSD!

12. dustrock says:

How many irons does McPhee have in the fire right now?

It’s like he’s seeing the code in the Matrix

13. Rondo says:

LT,

You should have Mark Edwards of Hockey Prospect on your show and ask him why he ranks Owen Tippett #22.

Rondo:
    LT,

I will definitely try, love his stuff.

15. Rondo says:

Lowetide: I will definitely try, love his stuff.

Thanks

16. N64 says:

nvan97:

Third option is a three way deal. McPhee is on record he’d like a few deals locked down in advance and he gets a chance to collect some picks from both sides.

17. Moose says:

Hypothetical for everyone:

If prices are too steep (asset-wise) and PC stands pat on defense, is the off-season considered a failure in your eyes if PC goes to camp with the exact same defense corp as he ended last year?

Klef – Larsson
    Sekera (injured) – Russell (1 or 2yr deal)
    Nurse – Benning
    Reinhart – Gryba/Fayne

In essence, let’s say Vegas takes Khaira, PC’s sales pitch is that this year we know what Benning is from the start, Reinhart gets promoted to the 6/7 hole and Nurse has another year of development.

On the negative side, Benning is almost certain to have sophomore wobbles at some point, Nurse and Reinhart have to hit higher in the order until Sekera gets back, and Russell is back (if you’re in that camp).

18. TO10801 says:

Moose,

Yes that would be a failure in my eyes. PC has one more year on 97’s ELC, so the team needs to fill the holes. Once 97 gets his extension things are going to get a lot more difficult to manage.

19. jtblack says:

Moose,

” is the off-season considered a failure in your eyes if PC goes to camp with the exact same defense corp” ……. YES

2 years ago the opening D lineup was AHL level. Last year PC made huge strides (at a cost) to ice an NHL calibre defense. But the work doesn’t stop. Without adding a proper RHD, there could be lots of wobbles ..

We all know that Reg is out for quite a while, but we also have to prepare that another defender will be injured between now and his return … So PC has to have enough quality and depth to get this team to the playoffs .. I would look at Reg as a playoff deadline acquistion (like Nurse), but build the D core not counting on him …as long is it works under the Cap of course

20. Moose says:

TO10801:
    Moose,

Yes that would be a failurein my eyes. PC has one more year on 97’s ELC, so the team needs to fill the holes. Once 97 gets his extension things are going to get a lot more difficult to manage.

I wonder what the ask is Hjalmarsson since he’s a guy who can play on the right.

21. russ99 says:

That forward group in Bakersfield looks mighty thin, even if you add Puljujarvi in for a few months to start.

How many junior prospects are stepping up this year?

Our first round pick likely won’t be old enough for the AHL this year either.

If we sign Foo, I hope there’s no NHL playing time agreement…

22. speeds says:

Moose,

I probably prefer something like that to giving Russell 16 over 4, but there are likely to be a couple decent depth options that can be had around July 10 on a one year deal?

23. Scungilli Slushy says:

Chiarelli has mentioned growth a few times regarding defense. I wonder if he doesn’t find a deal he signs Russell and runs with what they have using Reinhart and Fayner as call ups.

Klef Larsson
    Russell Benning
    Nurse Gryba
    Reinhart Fayne

and lets them grow into things with another season of at bats. As long as they are in a playoff position when Sekera comes back hopefully by playoffs he is back up to speed.

I want to see somebody ahead of Benning and am fine with Russell on the right contract. But I won’t be surprised if we see this, and a trade out of the forward group brings back a forward to balance the group better.

24. russ99 says:

Moose: For the record, I agree, and I think if you can’t find a long term solution to the top RD problem, the alternate play is to get a #2 LD on a 1 or 2yr deal that can fill for Sekera. I’d be okay with bringing Russell back on 1 or 2yr deal if you can do that.

I like Russell on the left for a one or two year deal as a Sekera fill-in, then find a more long term answer on the right.

On HF, Hawks fans wanted some combination of two of Puljujarvi, Nurse and our first.

That’s a bit to steep, IMO. I think the Hammer is a good player and would be a good fit, but only at the right price, considering we’ll need to fit his cap number of $4.1 the next two years.

25. russ99 says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Klef Larsson
    Russell Benning
    Nurse Gryba
    Reinhart Fayne

If Chiarelli is trying to get an Anaheim level defense, it’s not going to be with Reinhart and/or Fayne.

We’re looking to start our cup contention run, fillers need not apply.

26. John Chambers says:

Pouzar:
    BREAKING NEWS:

Looks like the Canes have solved their scoring woes.

27. Moose says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Klef Larsson
    Russell Benning
    Nurse Gryba
    Reinhart Fayne

This is what prompted the question to begin with. In PC’s media avails thus far he’s talked about being happy with the various parts of the defense. I know he’s a mis-direction, or at worst, not a MacT blabber mouth type of guy, but yeah.

My worry is that Sekera is such a stabilizer that it has a ripple effect down the lineup and we’re digging ourselves out of a hole come Christmas. And as JTBlack said, what if another guy goes down? Then it starts to look REALLY thin.

28. Scungilli Slushy says:

russ99,

Moose,

I’m hoping for better for sure, but you never know. It could be dicey as said if they had multiple injuries. I think they could cover one guy out. I do think given the ages of the players there will be growth and better play.

I suppose that’s what makes me think they might stand pat unless something good works out, there are a lot of suitors in on this one.

29. digger50 says:

I believe the target pre expansion should be a winger or the elusive third line center / utility winger. I have mentioned Kevin Hays just cause I expect the player to be someone “out of the blue” . The currency has to be picks and waiver ineligible prospects. Our incoming valuable forward would just bump the protected list down by one, likely exposing Letestu.
    (Athanasiou for Sleppy plus third rounder?)

Post expansion we are looking to Vegas for a defenseman. Currency likely a forward who can score, or #22 overall, plus Jones.
    If bidding gets too high lets not forget about Brandon Davidson who was last years Matt Benning. Lower skill level than ideal target but still a good player there and I would rather have him back and part with a third round pick.

If we strike out, we have free agency (Bonino) or a good old regular hockey trade. Please don’t disappoint me Peter, and please don’t be sending a favorite away.

Getting excited again, but still we wait……

30. Ribs says:

If Kovalchuk is anywhere near the player that suddenly learned to play a complete game and dragged the Devils to the Stanley Cup finals in 2012, get him signed up immediately.

31. TO10801 says:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 1m1 minute ago

This is ridiculous! So instead of just asking Bieksa to waive, ANA is going to trade Vatanen AND make a deal with Vegas to stay away from their exposed D-man (Manson). THat seems like a high price to pay when you could simply buyout Bieksa or am I missing something?

32. russ99 says:

TO10801:
    Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie1m1 minute ago
    MoreIt’s believed ANA has a pre-arranged deal in place with VGK so it isn’t necessary to ask Kevin Bieksa to waive his NMC.

They may have already gotten word that Bieksa won’t waive.

In the end the player decides such things.

33. digger50 says:

TO10801:
    Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie1m1 minute ago

Must be a decent deal for Vegas, otherwise they would be salivating to get their hands on one of those D men.

34. TO10801 says:

russ99,

I would do Nurse for Hjalmarsson straight up. I don’t think you need to add since it would save the hawks more than $3Mil in savings.

35. Cassandra says:

TO10801:
    Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie1m1 minute ago

You can take it to the bank that a number of NHL general managers are going to do stupid things to avoid losing players in the face of this expansion draft. This is going to be a very inefficient market, and we will see who is smart and who is not.

There is real opportunity here for a team like the Oilers who don’t have anyone of value to lose. For them breaking even is losing.

TO10801:
    Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie1m1 minute ago

We don’t know that to be the trade. It could be ‘we’ll send you Brandon Montour and a pick if you take Kevin Bieksa’ allowing the team to keep all of their established young NHL defensemen.

37. TO10801 says:

russ99,

Yeah I though they could buy him out, but I checked and it would be the same as Brad Stuart’s buyout last year. Will be really interesting to hear what Vegas is making them give up to stay away from one of those good young D. ANA doesn’t own a first either, which is what I thought it would take. Would they give LV Jacob Larsson?

38. TO10801 says:

I don’t understand. Doesn’t Bieksa need to be protected due to his NMC? It would be Montour and a pick to pick say Cogliano/Vermette instead of Manson? But that is a hefty price to pay.

Its kind of funny, some teams are essentially trading for their own players.

TO10801:

Its kind of funny, some teams are essentially trading for their own players.

40. TO10801 says:

Lowetide: Ah, good point, I posted without thinking (first time ever!). Montour could still be the bait, with LV taking a depth option with their actual pick.

Yeah, Vegas may be an okay team if they can drive up the price on teams like ANA, MIN and CBJ. I think if I were ANA I would buyout Bieksa and have a $4M caphit over trading assets to LV. They have enough young, cost effective options to make it through a year with a $4M black hole.

41. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

ANA has 5 D worth protecting plus 5+ forwards. So they would have to trade a lot of talent away to avoid losing a good player. Instead of trading it away my guess is VGK is giving ANA something to select Vatanen. Something like a 2nd to ANA for them to expose him.

Like everyone, ANA has to lose someone but by making a deal it lets VGK get the better player instead of a 3rd party… plus it allows ANA to avoid a huge shakeup while they compete.

42. TO10801 says:

till_horcoff_is_coach:
    ANA has 5 D worth protecting plus 5+ forwards.So they would have to trade a lot of talent away to avoid losing a good player.Instead of trading it away my guess is VGK is giving ANA something to select Vatanen.Something like a 2nd to ANA for them to expose him.

That’s a really interesting idea. Of course it will depend on what ANA in being offered for Vatanen. If TOR is offering Kapanen, Dermott and a pick for Vatanen it would be tough to simply accept a 3rd for him, but like you said it means you don’t have to make any additional trades.

43. Ducey says:

TO10801:
    russ99,

44. spoiler says:

So let me get this straight…

Vegas is going to give up an asset to take a poorer player–or even similar level player–than what must be exposed?

Uh huh.

45. spoiler says:

I thought you called doing this “losing the trade”? Since Vegas could’ve had the best player in the deal, Manson.

46. who says:

Ducey: You would trade a 22 yr old future top 4 defenseman (maybe as soon as this year) for a 30 yr old one? Plus you screw yourself with cap and roster protection in the expansion draft.

Yeah, that is NOT a good trade idea. WOW.

47. TO10801 says:

Its a bet to try and improve this year. Hjalmarsson has 2 years left at a reasonable price and then you need to find a top 4 guy two years from now. I’m not as convinced as some that Nurse will ever be a top 4 D. Too much chaos in his own zone and not enough offense to offset the chaos. Although I do agree it would be a risky trade because there is the potential that Nurse is a top-3 Dman in the near future.

48. jtblack says:

spoiler,

I think Vegas will be getting the extra asset (a 2nd round pick) if they pick a pre determined player that both teams agree on (IE: VAtanen). Then Anaheim knows who they are losing and Vegas gets an extra asset

49. jtblack says:

jtblack,

Then Vegas will most likely flip Vatanen to a team like Edm for even more assets … So instead of them just picking a good D man. They might end up with a younger roster player and 2 or 3 draft picks …

spoiler:
    So let me get this straight…

Uh huh.

Depends on the value they put on each player. It won’t be universal agreement for sure, and McPhee may want a specific solution in the trade (feeling he can cover another position via the actual expansion draft).

51. jtblack says:

So Phaneuf executes his NT policy and he’s a bad guy somehow?

Ottawa knew he had a NTC. The players are smart to get them, then they don’t have to uproot their family. Good on Dion.

52. jtblack says:

Thought this may be of interest to you guys that follow the prospects so close: World Junior Goalie selection invites

Program of Excellence Goaltending Camp Roster
    Name S/C Ht. Wt. Born Hometown 2016-17 Team
    Under-20 Goaltenders
    Michael DiPietro L 6’0” 193 06/09/99 Amherstburg, Ont. Windsor (OHL)
    Evan Fitzpatrick L 6’3” 206 01/28/98 Lower Sackville, N.S. Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
    Carter Hart L 6’2” 180 08/13/98 Sherwood Park, Alta. Everett (WHL)
    Jacob McGrath L 6’1” 158 01/07/99 Mississauga, Ont. Sudbury (OHL)
    Ian Scott L 6’4” 169 01/11/99 Calgary, Alta. Prince Albert (WHL)
    Stuart Skinner L 6’4” 195 11/01/98 Edmonton, Alta. Lethbridge (WHL)
    Dylan Wells L 6’2” 182 01/03/98 St. Catharines, Ont. Peterborough (OHL

53. JDI says:

Everyone talks about getting a volume shooter for McDavid’s wing, but you know that Draisaitl had some big assists last year.

54. LMHF#1 says:

Rondo,

Just finished this and was about to post same.

Great stuff.

55. gadot10 says:

dustrock:

Doughty to Toronto (with Brown going to Vegas part of the deal, with Toronto paying the Vegas bribe, say Nylander). Toronto sending Gardiner, Kadri, plus other stuff the other way to LA.

Carter to Carolina for Faulk and one of their prospect D.

Flip a D to New Jersey for Kovalchuk

LA rebuild in place jumpstarted.

56. gadot10 says:

TO10801:
    Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie1m1 minute ago

Anaheim has one of the best scouting and development programs in the NHL since forever (David McNab). They are loaded and they have the ability to reload.

Sam Steele, Matt Jones, Brandon Montour, Jacob Larsson, Nick Ritchie.

57. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

spoiler: So let me get this straight…
    Uh huh.

Maybe not, but the assumption is if they don’t have such a deal then ANA is motivated to trade out their players to reduce what is exposed by trading some D for F. Since all teams are motivated to reduce what is given up, by giving up assets to get the better players it allows VGK to be the gatekeepers of the talent.

As mentioned by JTBlack, it also allows VKG do more complex scenarios to “help teams out” and gain even more talent. Edmonton for instance could agree to trade Ebs to VGK for Vatanen if VGK agrees to select Pouliot. This would be a pretty solid move IMO for all 3 teams.

JDI:

Volume shooter-McDavid-Draisiatl works for me!

59. rickithebear says:

Thompson 0.25 #372 F –
    Getzlaf 0.24 #375 Fwd

J. Williams 1RW 3M
    D. King 4LW 1.8M
    Alzner 1 LD 4m

Trading Slepyshev
    -the guy was the #1 Pick in KHl draft.
    -One of the rare .28 EVGPG forward at 18 in KHL And RSL
    Ovechkin; Malkin; Tarsenko; Kuznetsov; Slepyshev.
    effective Quick Release.
    -We now know his Size 6’2′ 217lb.
    -Physiucal retrieval along the Boards.
    – top 8 Forward EVGF60 at cheap cap hit.
    – top 20 Fwd in playoff EVGF60 2.50
    Is bat shit Crazy Mo Fo

60. N64 says:

Lowetide: Volume shooter-McDavid-Draisiatl works for me!

Where can I buy that Volume Shooter sweater?

61. rickithebear says:

Lowetide: Volume shooter-McDavid-Draisiatl works for me!

I Had quite a few NCAA Coaches tell me (in Salmon Arm) that they were changing from Volume to HD penetration aproach to there play.

Cause they also realize volume with low Sh% means in efficient pocession numbers.
    Cause 1 HD shot is worth 5 LD of volume

62. N64 says:

Or maybe I should get a Dangerous Fenwick Jersey.

63. spoiler says:

jtblack,

So Vegas would take the player they value less and then trade him for pieces of even lesser value, depreciating their ANA expansion draft player twice?

64. JDI says:

@N64

Rodney DangerFen.

65. N64 says:

JDI:
    @N64

Rodney DangerFen.

No respect.

66. jtblack says:

spoiler,

I am not arguing your point. Just trying to make sense of Vegas. I think they are trying to take a lesser player (vatanen vs Manson) but in doing so would get something else from Ana. Then flip Vatanen for more prospects and picks. I only thinknthey would do that if they feel all the prospects and picks are more valuable than Manson straight up

67. jtblack says:

spoiler,

Until the dust settles we dont really know how many side deals Mcphee is cooking

68. N64 says:

jtblack:
    spoiler,

Protection deals and 3 way deals via Vegas are still possible after the roster freeze. But right up until 1 pm MT Saturday deals that bypass Vegas will compete on value with those other options. So the first hour of Saturday Sports Extra could rain 2 and 3 way deals and unicorns. Or maybe it all turns out as usual for LT.

69. geowal says:

Just to clear up this mud, Anaheim has literally done nothing so far, including not asking Bieksa to waive,
    Correct?
    I also don’t see why Dion or anyone else should waive their NMC IF they’re not keen on Vegas. If they don’t feel wanted they can always give their org a list of acceptable landing spots.

70. Pouzar says:

rickithebear: Trading Slepyshev
    -the guy was the #1 Pick in KHl draft.
    -One of the rare .28 EVGPG forward at 18 in KHL And RSL
    Ovechkin; Malkin; Tarsenko; Kuznetsov; Slepyshev.
    effective Quick Release.
    -We now know his Size 6’2′ 217lb.
    -Physiucal retrieval along the Boards.
    – top 8 Forward EVGF60 at cheap cap hit.
    – top 20 Fwd in playoff EVGF60 2.50
    Is bat shit Crazy Mo Fo

All this. Stop trading Slepy.

71. Doug McLachlan says:

Constantly hitting refresh to discover…bupkus.

Not surprising that teams are waiting until the last possible moment to see if they can maximize their leverage and get a deal done but still hoping for the dam to break on the first deal as I would suspect they start to happen once the first one gets completed.

72. LMHF#1 says:

rickithebear:

Trading Slepyshev
    -the guy was the #1 Pick in KHl draft.
    -One of the rare .28 EVGPG forward at 18 in KHL And RSL
    Ovechkin; Malkin; Tarsenko; Kuznetsov; Slepyshev.
    effective Quick Release.
    -We now know his Size 6’2′ 217lb.
    -Physiucal retrieval along the Boards.
    – top 8 Forward EVGF60 at cheap cap hit.
    – top 20 Fwd in playoff EVGF60 2.50
    Is bat shit Crazy Mo Fo

Thirded.

Don’t trade McDavid’s future finisher.

73. Doug McLachlan says:

I do miss the pre-Chia era for the leaks that poured out of Kingsway.

Today…nothing.

The quiet is disconcerting but probably a sign of an organization that is far more professionally run.

74. N64 says:

Doug McLachlan,

Tune into the first hour Saturday Sports extra. Roster freeze trade deadline is halfway through LT’s show. (So nothing much happens until Jamieson’s Monday show, right?)

75. JDI says:

Thar she blows!

TSN Hockey‏Verified account @TSNHockey 2m2 minutes ago

Predators sign D Yannick Weber to a one-year, $650K deal. Follow all the moves on our #TSNHockey signing tracker: http://bit.ly/296g2Xv

Whew!

We are edging nearer to timeouts. You make the call.

77. DBO says:

Take a look at @TSNBobMcKenzie’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/874743984698126336?s=09

Thought I copied it. Basically he says we will Find out about buyouts on Thursday and Friday. So players with NMC will be known by Friday night. Day before protection list a are due by 5 pm Saturday. So bieksa may still get bought out.

78. Bank Shot says:

DBO:

I think Bieksa is injured which prevents him from being bought out.

DBO:

It may also mean we don’t get the flood of trades until Thursday, as teams begin the buyout process and LV is able to make deals public.

80. JDI says:

@ Bank Shot

I’m pretty sure he played in the Nashville series, unless he got injured again.

Also, Capfriendly states that because of his age, his cap hit remains $4M next season even if he’s bought out, and the cost of the buyout (2/3s) is spread out over two years. Ouch.

81. --hudson-- says:

jtblack:
    So Phaneuf executes his NT policy and he’s a bad guy somehow?

Ottawa knew he had a NTC.The players are smart to get them, then they don’t have to uproot their family.Good on Dion.

This likely means either Ceci or Methot will shake loose from Ottawa. I could see both, especially Ceci being a target for Chia. He played for Todd last summer in the WC

Here are some of his numbers in LT’s format
    5×5 points per 60: 0.55 (5th among all Ottawa D – last 3 seasons: 0.98, 0.80, 0.74)
    5×4 points per 60: 0.84 (1 point in 71 minutes, last 2 seasons: 2.97, 2.94)
    Shots on goal/percentage: 115 shots/1.74%
    Boxcars: 79gp, 2-15-17

Age 23, 6-2, 207 lbs, right shot

Without knowing the advanced stats, he looks like he had a rough year and would immediately be a small upgrade on Russell with the chance to be much better.

82. --hudson-- says:

JDI:
    @ Bank Shot

I’m pretty sure he played in the Nashville series, unless he got injured again.

Yep I remember him taking a cheapshot penatly with seconds left in G6 so he wouldn’t have to shake hands.

83. Bank Shot says:

JDI:
    @ Bank Shot

I’m pretty sure he played in the Nashville series, unless he got injured again.

Torn MCL.

He played through it, Like Joe Thornton.

Per Curtis Zupke of the Los Angeles Times, Bieksa sustained the serious knee injury on a freak collision with Shea Theodore during Game 1 of the second-round series against Edmonton. It’s pretty crazy that Bieksa played with limited mobility in his knee after sitting out for only nine contests. At this time, it’s unclear whether the 35-year-old will require surgery or whether he will be ready to play once the Ducks open training camp in the fall.