RE 16-17 BOB GREEN: AIRBAG

For some reason, every scouting director employed by the Oilers hits a home run with his first pick. Barry Fraser chose Kevin Lowe, Kevin Prendergast selected Ales Hemsky, Stu MacGregor plucked Jordan Eberle. Bob Green? Connor McDavid. Yeah. Going to be hard to beat that one, but then again that’s a helluva airbag. (Airbag).

1. I don’t think that word means what you think it means! Context is important.
  2. What was his reputation before arriving with the Oilers? Impeccable. A long career in scouting, evaluation and procurement dating back to the Medicine Hat Tigers.
  3. What jobs has he had with the Oilers? Arrived in 2013 and served about two years as Director of Amateur Free Agent Scouting in that role. He would have been instrumental in acquiring college and CHL free agents during that period and possibly beyond (Caggiula, Benning, et cetera).
  4. How much credit should he get for the college and CHL signings? Seems to be a lot of teamwork, if you listen to Peter Chiarelli several names (Keith Gretzky, Craig MacTavish) get thrown in. Probably depends on relationships, Matt Benning’s decision likely involved people who have known each other for decades.
  5. That’s a big deal? Massive. If you are a parent, how important is trust when guiding your children? Massive, massive deal, I am certain of it.
  6. How much credit should Green get for the draft? He’s the head scout, so there is credit or blame based on that title. That said, I’m sure there is a lot of work done by many people and they all share at some level in any success.
  7. Where should we start? 2015 seems reasonable. The 2014 draft featured Craig MacTavish as general manager and Stu MacGregor as head scout, so Leon Draisaitl, William Lagesson and Tyler Vesel belong to the previous management group.
  8. Okay, 2015. If you get to call Connor McDavid’s name at the NHL draft, that’s a lifetime memory. I don’t think it’s going to get you a better report card, but it’s such a fantastic turn. I’m sure the scouting staff giggled long into the night after the lottery win.
  9. What about the rest of the draft? I think the scouts did a great job. Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear, John Marino, Ziyat Paigin, there are some nice players there. They signed them all, drafted these men between the third and seventh round. I know it was a deep draft, but that’s a lot of talent even with that consideration.
  10. Why did they draft so many defenseman? The Oilers drafted for need. They don’t need any centers, suspect they didn’t like many goalies in the range their picks fell in. One wonders if they pondered Svechnikov as an option at No. 16, but Reinhart was on their list and came available.
  11. How much blame does Green get for Reinhart? I don’t know how we’d even begin to figure that out. That’s part of Peter Chiarelli’s record in my opinion.
  12. Okay, 2016 draft. Again, the first-round selection was manna from heaven and you have to believe any team would have made the same call. I don’t think you give a ton of credit for luck, but it makes a nice triple with Draisaitl-McDavid-Puljujarvi over three draft summers.
  13. What about the second round and beyond? I’m a big fan of Tyler Benson if he’s healthy. He has a nice range of skills and plays an aggressive game, plus he has good speed and reasonable size. It’ll all come down to the injuries, though.
  14. And? The third round defensemen are a mixed bag. Niemelainen is big and fast, I like that combination and we’ll see. Berglund the Swedish kid had some good things going this season and we’ll look for him to be a regular in the SHL. Matt Cairns had a tough season, the raw defender had a tough time establishing himself in the USHL, finally heading to the BCHL.
  15. That’s a bad pick? That’s a pick that lacks a strong arrow after one season.
  16. What about the other picks in 2016? Dylan Wells looks very good after the first year, you want to see him do it again. I like Aapeli Rasanen, just don’t know if he’s fast enough to play (eventually) in the NHL. Too soon on Graham McPhee but Corey Pronman liked him and if he gets a lot of playing time this winter at Boston College maybe we’ll be talking a lot about him. Vincent Desharnais is a distant bell, some positive verbal about him but not much really.
  17. How many Bob Green picks are heading in a good direction? Most of them, I’d say you could point out Cairns as a guy who is behind and Miroslav Svoboda didn’t get signed. Even that’s a bit pissy, the goalie played well but Edmonton signed college men. I’m fairly pleased with both drafts under Green.
  18. What about this year? Very important season and Edmonton has to deliver quality without a lottery pick. Easier said than done.
  19. Where do they pick? No. 22 overall, then 82, 84, 115, 126, 146, 177, 208.
  20. Who will they pick? My bet is a forward, the club will want skill for sure so the player at No. 22 might be smaller. David Pastrnak is a smaller player but he has gumption, so you might see the team pick a forward under six feet.
  21. Give me two names. Kole Lind, Ivan Lodnia. Pretty sure it’ll be skill in the first round, maybe in the third round, too.
  22. Who is the best player chosen outside the first round by the Chiarelli-Gretzky-Green regime? Ethan Bear. Honorable mention to Caleb Jones and Tyler Benson.
  23. Will the Oilers trade Eberle tonight? No idea. Bob McKenzie is your man there.
  24. Are the Oilers going to trade Eberle the minute you hit publish on this post? Probably.
  25. How good is Connor McDavid? The first time I saw him, he shocked me with his speed. I mean stoned me. He cannot be as fast as he is and yet it is there in front of you. Other worldly.
  26. Will Puljujarvi make it? Yes, we just don’t know about the offense. He may not take 30 goals with him to the NHL, might be 20.
  27. If Benson arrives in the NHL healthy, what should we expect? Intelligent, aggressive two-way player with surprising speed and skill. He’ll be a top 6F who can help in all areas. Just has to stay healthy.
  28. Why do you like Ethan Bear? Great arrows. He was a second-round talent in a deep draft, and kept getting better in junior. I’ve been an Oilers fan since they drafted John Rogers and can tell you dozens of stories about how good players have their careers derailed. Always count on the guy who gets better every season and receives praise in print from the coach. Sometimes, as in the case of Doug Lynch, injuries bite these kids and that’s just the hockey Gods at work. But Bear, and Jones and Dylan Wells? Those guys have good arrows and you hope they keep it going.
  29. And then they’ll make it? Well, they have a better chance. Everyone but Connor McDavid is going to have that day when they tap out in terms of career peak, and maybe that’s the AHL for some of these draft picks. But if they push forward and work hard, maybe it works out for them.
  30. Aren’t you sad you called the Oilers scouting director an airbag? 30 comments in, I think we’ve identified the airbag.

45 Responses to "RE 16-17 BOB GREEN: AIRBAG"

1. stephen sheps says:

I actually think Airbag totally fits here, especially given the chorus:

“In an interstellar burst
    I’m back to save the universe”

Those words could easily be used to describe Connor’s otherworldly speed and what he means to the franchise. Green got to call Connor’s name as his first pick. Works for me.

This has easily been my favourite of the RE series, despite my fairly low number of comments throughout.

Well done LT. Well done.

2. jtblack says:

Probably one of the Least glamorous jobs out there. I Admire all scouts, at all Levels.

Good write up!

We have some action. You knew it, just off by a few days

3. russ99 says:

This is a very telling article:

Two months and two days Chiarelli was on the job, you can’t pin this on him.

He was browbeaten into it by the Old Boys, the Lowe quote really puts the icing on the cake, you know, the guy moved out of hockey operations by Nicholson.

4. Yeti says:

Ever listen to the Norwegian band Airbag? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQV38RG_gIw

5. N64 says:

jtblack:
    We have some action.You knew it, just off by a few days

If Eberle gets traded for a D by Saturday we still may not hear about it. If it’s done as a 3 way deal with Vegas it can’t be published

6. russ99 says:

N64: If Eberle gets traded for a D by Saturdaywe still may not hear about it. If it’s done as a 3 way deal with Vegas it can’t be published

I wonder how many leaks there will be.

7. Gret99zky says:

PC was the GM at the time of the deal but Green’s fingerprints were found everywhere.

8. N64 says:

russ99: Btw: I got tickets to the draft here at the United Center next Friday, should be interesting. Can’t decide between the white McDavid or the orange Russelll jersey…

This one please:

It may come in handy after July 1.

9. geowal says:

russ99: This league is no fun. All this nonsense to prop up their stupid awards show nobody watches,

I wonder how many leaks there will be.

The orange will stick out in the crowd better if you’re hoping to be spotted.

10. russ99 says:

geowal: I was gonna ask why you’d buy a jersey for a 2nd pair, 1 year deal Laat minute signing D, but then I saw your handle.
    The orange will stick out in the crowd better if you’re hoping to be spotted.

I own both those jerseys along with a Ryan Smyrh, Miro Satan and Messier.

Debating which one should I wear, not buy.

Used to wear the Miro one to get a rise out of the Hawks faithful. Saw him play for the Detroit Vipers in the old IHL against the Wolves and knew he’d be a great player. Stupid trade..

Leaning towards Draisaitl for the new midnight blue and orange Adidas threads.

11. jtblack says:

russ99,

WOW.

12. Centre of attention says:

Gret99zky,

Listen to Bob Greens interview on CHED after the trade. Listen to him rave about Griffin and tell me he wasn’t a huge part of that deal.

Chiarelli even said himself “You have to credit some of the people who were already here, they acquired some picks that we used to get these players. You have to trust peoples opinions on players sometimes…”

That’s an actual quote, btw. Watch Chiarelli’s interview immediately after the trade. Very obvious he was deferring the credit to those around him.

If you can find archive footage of the Sportsnet coverage of the draft, the moment the trade comes down there was a shot of Oilers table. Chiarelli is looking across table at Bob Green and MacT, with quite the intense look on his face. He knew it was going to be bad the second the trigger was pulled.

The regret was magnified when he didn’t even make the team out of camp.

13. JDI says:

As per a lasagna eating, obese cat:

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil 4m4 minutes ago

Oilers and Habs did and are still talking RNH, but Habs are not the only team interested Colorado and Carolina and Coyotes talking also..APG

14. GMB3 says:

It would sure be nice to have Barzal/Ek, or whoever that mid first round pick would have been, to trade for a Justin Faulk… or even to just be pushing for a roster spot

15. Centre of attention says:

JDI:
    As per a lasagna eating, obese cat:

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil 4m4 minutes ago

Lets say its Dylan Strome, and their first rounder (#7overall)
    You then turn around and flip our first (#22) and something else for a good d-man.
    Sign Hanzal in FA to plug the hole at center.
    Draft Suzuki at #7
    =
    Profit.

Not saying I do this deal (a lot of risk and maybes involved) but interesting to think about.

16. Nuclear leak says:

Nuge and shiny stuff for McKinnon

17. JDI says:

@CoA

Not the craziest thing I’ve read today, but I would have to think that the ‘something else’ used to get a useful defender would be Eberle. Now there’s a hole on the starboard side. At least I think that’s starboard…

18. Centre of attention says:

JDI:
    @CoA

Yep. Lots of risk involved for sure.

I’m sure the Oilers would just rather move Ebs anyways.

but if I’m a rival GM I’m calling about RNH. He has more value league wide, of that I’m certain.

*edit*
    Dylan Strome played RW with McDavid at times in Erie. Seems to be pretty common for Left-Shot Centers to play their off wing. Duchene has played a ton of RW for the Avs, same thing with Galchenyuk. Would be easy to transition Dylan to be a RW, especially if he knew it meant he gets to play with his best buddy Connor. In a pinch, he slides down to 3C.

Again, a lot of maybe there but interesting to think about none the less.

I would hate such a deal less than I would hate a Eberle for Strome type deal.

19. admiralmark says:

The more I think about all these rumors and Chiarelli the more I think we are going to see 2 big trades or 1 massive one. I think he’s looking to move Eberle + RNH + 1LHD. For (Hamonic or Barrie) + RW +3C. He takes $12-14 Million off the books and then looks to fill those 3 position for less then that. If it’s Hamonic he’s only $4 Million. He gets a 3C on the cheap 2-3 MIl. And a RW for $3-4 Mill. Maybe he saves 2-4 Million this way creates balance but we lose the 3 Lines of offence we were hoping for. Purely a guess but I think I can see it looking at the tea leaves. Hold onto your hats boys!

20. Ducey says:

Centre of attention: What if the Coyotes can take RNH’s salary straight up, without sending any money back? They love picking up big contracts, could offer some impressive prospects and they have 2 first rounders this year. Chiarelli could do a lot of damage with another first round bullet in the chamber plus 6 million cleared off the books.

Lets say its Dylan Strome, and their first rounder (#7overall)
    Sign Hanzal in FA to plug the hole at center.
    Draft Suzuki at #7
    =
    Profit.

So we have center depth for the first time in 20 yrs and a team that just about made the third round and we need to blow it up??

WTF.

Let’s trade Nurse, Nuge, Eberle. We need new shiney things!!

21. Centre of attention says:

Ducey,

I did suggest a way to plug the hole at C, in case you missed it.

Its quite the stretch of the imagination to make that deal possible anyways. Very much doubt it happens.

22. JonyPro says:

Nurse for Galchenyuk! Druin apparently was being groomed in junior and at Tampa to be a center in the near future. I love me some Nurse but another bigger C who plays wing would go a long way.

23. MrEd says:

Too much to process these days. Crazy couple of weeks ahead.

Too much bluster around Ebs for him not to be gone.
    Good Gord he’s a player. We’ll miss him and his Radiohead eye.

24. JDI says:

@Ducey

It’s not so much we’re suggesting this, just running with the rampant twitter rumors and speculation.

Agreed, I don’t want Nuge or Ebs gone, but there’s a lot of smoke around those two right now.

I just hope that if they are traded, I can be as happy in one year with the return as I am with that guy that got us Larsson.

25. Scungilli Slushy says:

Any Oiler can be traded and the team benefit, except McDavid, if the players, cap and contract # are right for the teams involved.

PC could shake the roster up a lot and make the team better. I am starting to think any significant player from the old regime might get moved at some point. Fresh mindset.

26. LadiesloveSmid says:

if the TreenasOil tweet about RNH+Nurse for Galchenyuk+Sergachev+1st was legit, I think they’ve got to capitalize on RNH’s value instead of cashing out on Eberle’s.

Eberle’s gonna put up 70P next year and we will weep.

27. Centre of attention says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Eberle’s gonna put up 70P next year and we will weep.

MTL just traded Sergachev (definitely wasn’t for RNH+Nurse) so pretty sure that rumor is toast.

Maybe its time for Garfield to go to bed.

28. --hudson-- says:

I just read the Willis 4 trades to expect before expansion article. So Toronto, Buffalo and Carolina are all teams that can protect another defencemen. It might be difficult for the Oilers to outbid those teams for the likes of Pysyk/Petrovic, Spurgeon/Brodin/Dumba, Pulock/Dehaan etc.

If we do outbid them, then it’s as if we are bundling Kassian in the trade. Not the biggest loss but would like to see him back next year.

29. hags9k says:

I wonder if the Oil have much interest in Marleau…

You know the old boys have loved him since exactly forever.

30. OF17 says:

–hudson–:
    I just read the Willis 4 trades to expect before expansion article.So Toronto, Buffalo and Carolina are all teams that can protect another defencemen.It might be difficult for the Oilers to outbid those teams for the likes of Pysyk/Petrovic, Spurgeon/Brodin/Dumba, Pulock/Dehaan etc.

If we do outbid them, then it’s as if we are bundling Kassian in the trade.Not the biggest loss but would like to see him back next year.

As long as we send Eberle or Nuge in the deal, I think we’re in a pretty good place to trade for a D and protect 4-4. The added F protection slot goes to Maroon, and we’re left with 4th line forwards and 7D as our expansion exposure. Good 4th liners, yes, but 4C/RW isn’t a difficult hole to fill. 2RD, however, definitely is. If the difference between landing “Hamonic” and not is having to replace Kassian with Derek Ryan or similar, personally, sign me up.

31. dustrock says:

Seriously getting another proper defenceman >>>>>>>>> Kassian

I love Kassian, love the story. Would prefer the Oilers to improve overall.

I get the locker room bond, I really do, but people are upset over losing somebody like Reinhart/Kassian/Letestu and I cannot give one single frak. Lock up the core. Improve the core. Profit.

32. Bank Shot says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Eberle’s gonna put up 70P next year and we will weep.

She’d been right about 1 time out of 100.

I’d put the quality of those rumours right up there with Eklund.

33. Professor Q says:

russ99: I own both those jerseys along with a Ryan Smyrh, Miro Satan and Messier.

Debating which one should I wear, not buy.

Leaning towards Draisaitl for the new midnight blue and orange Adidas threads.

It seems only reasonable. The German player for the German brand.

34. GMB3 says:

dustrock:
    Seriously getting another proper defenceman >>>>>>>>> Kassian

I love Kassian, love the story.Would prefer the Oilers to improve overall.

I get the locker room bond, I really do, but people are upset over losing somebody like Reinhart/Kassian/Letestu and I cannot give one single frak.Lock up the core.Improve the core.Profit.

Quality scoring depth, agitator with speed. I think ideally you try and find a way to have both

35. JDI says:

@Bank Shot

T5! T5!

36. MrEd says:

Kassian. Love the man. If not an Oiler then not.
    Not sucks.

37. JDI says:

Love the Kass.

How could you not like the Kass?

Who’s the Kass?

Who’s the Kass?!!!

The Kass is good!

38. anjinsan says:

Barzal/Kyle Connor + Carlo … for the home town, logs for legs AHLer.

This is incompetence by all who factored into that trade.

39. stephen sheps says:

–hudson–,

dustrock,

Why is Kassian suddenly being included in the rumour mill?

Seems a bit out of left-field. I don’t see him going anywhere.
    Edmonton has been good for him professionally, but the organization gave him a lifeline and playing for the Oilers has been good for him off the ice. Once in a while GMs will actually consider the person rather than the asset. I don’t see him included in any package.

40. N64 says:

stephen sheps: Why is Kassian suddenly being included in the rumour mill?

41. frjohnk says:

N64: Any scenario where the Oil pick up a 4th D to protect probably exposes Kassian. 8-1 vs. 7-3-1.

If its EBERLE going for a Dman like Hamonic, then Kassian gets exposed.

This is where the Oilers could entice Vegas with a pick or prospect to not take Kassian.

A D core of

Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Hamonic
    Nurse-Benning

should be solid for the next few years. We could then use the D prospects, if need be, as assets in trades to shore up the forward depth.

The best time to get a top 4 Dman is before the draft. And while after the draft, Vegas may have some Dmen we want, but so do a bunch of other teams.

42. Jaxon says:

Lowetide, Do you have a sail on, Regina Pat post ready for today before 3pm?

43. Washingtron says:

Hey gang! I turned my dad onto the site around the mid season point of last year and he’s become an avid twice a dayer like the rest of us. He asked me to post about trying to pry OEL out of Arizona as he figures we’re further along our rebuild than them. I think it’d be a pretty tough sell but on his behalf I ask: is there any package we could put together to make that happen?

PS: Hi Dad! Love ya!

Jaxon:
    Lowetide, Do you have a sail on, Regina Pat post ready for today before 3pm?

No, but it writes itself.

Washingtron:Thanks for procuring readers! Would love to get OEL, would cost so so so much. I would love it though.