THE SOFT PARADE

We know the Oilers roster is going to get a trim this summer, although the necessity of moving a big contract can wait until next June. One of the things I’ve seen suggested from time to time is running Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on a soft minutes line. Considering he faced elite competition 42 percent of his 5×5 time last year, perhaps Nuge would benefit from playing softer competition, sharing the load with the team’s other top centers.

But a soft parade line? I don’t see it. First, Leon Draisaitl is likely to be more effective offensively against the easy competition. Nuge’s 5×5/60 numbers since his rookie season: 1.95, 1.12, 1.50, 1.92, 1.36 and 1.45 in 2016-17. I don’t know that his offensive outer marker is the equal of Leon.

Draisaitl’s numbers in his first two full seasons (2.20 and then 2.05 this past season) implies more impact offensively. Leon played a bunch with Connor McDavid, so we’d have to let some air out of them. Let’s compare their 2016-17 performances when away from 97.

• RNH: 10-14-24 in 1070 minutes (1.35 points-per-60)
  • Draisaitl: 3-12-15 in 500 minutes (1.80 points-per-60)
  • Source

I’d run the Nuge against elites (along with the McDavid line) and find a way (if possible) to get Draisaitl out there in good situations. Easier said than done, but then again three effective scoring lines are going to be a load no matter who gets the tough matchups. Someone is going to be getting a good situation.

POSSIBLE LINES 2017-18

Peter Chiarelli’s job is mostly about defense this summer, but there’s also an opportunity here to give Todd McLellan more things to work with next season. A lot of the faceoff innovation I’ve read about suggests ‘strong side’ deployment is ideal. If PC can find a RH center who can also play wing, that might be a terrific addition to the McDavid line. Candidates might include Mike Fisher, Calle Jarnkrok, Joe Pavelski, Claude Giroux, Derek Ryan, Travis Zajac, Mika Zibanejad, Tyler Johnson. Very few names in there seem plausible, I’ll note Zibanejad and Johnson, although Ryan would seem to be the most available. I don’t know that he has the offensive game to run with 97. Maybe they can teach Jesse Puljujarvi to win some faceoffs, he’s sure as hell big enough and when his man strength kicks in it could be a real advantage.

FLORIDA VIA VEGAS

The more I look at what’s out there, the more dealing for one of Alex Petrovic, Mark Pysyk or Jason Demers makes sense to me. The first two have been developed and should be ready for the hearts of their careers, and the third guy damn near signed here last summer. I don’t know if this gets done before the expansion draft or after, and of course it might not get done with Edmonton, but something is going to happen with that Panthers blue. Sure as hell.

EBERLE DESTINATIONS

Running around the Al Gore this morning, I’ve read folks talking about (not a rumor) Eberle for Phaneuf and Darren Dreger suggested interest in 14 from several teams, notably New York (Islanders) and Colorado.

We always talk about targets on these teams, but what if the Islanders are offering Andrew Ladd and his long, long contract in return for Eberle? There’s a difference between trading a guy and making your team better. If there was a value deal on the table, it would be done. That’s my take on the issue. Peter Chiarelli doesn’t have to make a trade right now, so that gives him some power in the negotiations. Remember, indifference as to the outcome of a negotiation is actually leverage. Does Garth Snow face more pressure to make a move than Peter Chiarelli? Suspect the answer is yes. I like Travis Hamonic as an option, have braced myself for Ryan Strome as a return, and wonder if there’s a bigger deal in there if Jaroslav Halak is included.

As for Colorado, haven’t seen too many mentions there this spring. My assumption with the Avs is they are after defense, so maybe it’s a three-way deal. Tyson Barrie gets mentioned a lot around these parts, he’s coming off a season that doesn’t inspire confidence. Colorado has a bunch of forwards I love, including Bullet Train Duchene who is a dream.

As for Dion Phaneuf, can’t do it. The Oilers need to get faster not slower. It’s the main reason why, as I prepare the 2017-18 RE, I have Jordan Oesterle ranked over some more famous prospects (and he isn’t even signed!). The NHL is now obsessed with that play where the blue races back and makes a play on the puck before the oncoming forward can engage. Double Dion isn’t able to do it, and that’s before we get to the contract.

Seems general managers may still be offering rowboats for battle ships, or, more precisely, rowboats for rowboats. We wait.

IF NOT EBERLE, THEN WHAT?

1. Jordan Eberle
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  3. Jesse Puljujarvi
  4. No. 22 overall
  5. Caleb Jones
  6. 2018 first-round selection
  7. Benoit Pouliot
  8. Anton Slepyshev
  9. Cap Space
  10. Jujhar Khaira
  11. Ethan Bear
  12. Griffin Reinhart

I think the top four pieces here are the only ones who can move the needle enough to get a top four defender or that two-way center under $4 million. Beyond that, it’s probably stand pat and that’s okay too. If the guy you’re trading has more value than the guy coming in, and the money is close, are you really headed for Stanley? Suspect at some point Peter Chiarelli may have to move on from Jordan Eberle as primary trade piece. We could be there already.

117 Responses to "THE SOFT PARADE"

1. Brantford Boy says:

Looking at the possible lines here (and yes noting the missing pieces, Doughty would change that immediately, and I’d settle for Hamonic) I have to agree with LT’s theory that this is not a balanced roster, YET, although close… I suspect we may never see the balance photo, and with the suspense I truly hope its more than a photo of an abacus or inuksuk… we wait.

2. Pouzar says:

Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) · Twitter

Dreger: “The two that seem to be near the top of the front-runner list” for #Oilers’ Eberle are #Avs and #Isles.

3. TO10801 says:

Rishaug was saying he thinks Russell will get 4×4 and that he thinks the oilers will do it. I hope this is just smoke like last year when Russell was headed to free agency because that contract would be an absolute anchor, and possibly as early as year 2.

EDIT: Punjabioil beat me to it.

4. edwards_daddy says:

The return on any Stepan trade will be a good indicator for Eberle’s value – although 14 has to worth more, surely?

5. dustrock says:

PubjabiOil tweeted: Rishaug saying Oilers are looking to give Russell 4x$4m.

Please, Sweet Star-Lord, let that be a misunderstanding.

I’m not sure I can handle one more idiotic contract. It doesn’t make any sense. Let him go UFA and see how it goes for him. Madness to agree now.

I’ve suggested for some time that the Oilers would sign Russell, the term and depth of the rumored deal are probably reflective of interest from other teams. We know McLellan values him based on usage and we know the things they reportedly value show Russell played well (SA/60 5×5). I would call this rumor a mild surprise only because of the dollars and length of deal. I was hopeful they would aim higher, mentioned $4 million times two years in my RE.

7. dustrock says:

I would be upset with $4m x 2 years but would live with it.

4 years is absolute madness, and you start to wonder when Chia is going to permanently lose his bona fides.

8. jtblack says:

Pouliot and Ebs on the wing of McD? LIke putting Dave Lumley and Ken Berry on Gretzky’s wing in 1982. LT; I don’t understand putting guys who underperform with the best player. This was the argument made for Yak … The Connor will fix everything and everybody attitude is dangerous .. Connor is amazing so he is the one who should be rewarded with the best players on his wings; he shouldn’t be charged with picking up players that haven’t produced well given their expected levels ..

Anyway, that was just my thoughts …

I like PC and most of the work he has done, but if trades for Ladd; I am out. Couldn’t be a much worse contract in the NHL (D Brown)…. Lucic was risky, but he was 28. Ladd is 31. Those years are gold for a power forward .. Huge mistake by Snow ..

jtblack:
    Pouliot and Ebs on the wing of McD?LIke putting Dave Lumley and Ken Berry on Gretzky’s wing in 1982.LT; I don’t understand putting guys who underperform with the best player. This was the argument made for Yak …The Connor will fix everything and everybody attitude is dangerous .. Connor is amazing so he is the one who should be rewarded with the best players on his wings; he shouldn’t be charged with picking up players that haven’t produced well given their expected levels ..

Anyway, that was just my thoughts …

I like PC and most of the work he has done, but if trades for Ladd; I am out.Couldn’t be a much worse contract in the NHL (D Brown)…. Lucic was risky, but he was 28. Ladd is 31. Those years are gold for a power forward .. Huge mistake by Snow ..

Pouliot and McDavid have performed stunningly well together:

McDavid with Pouliot: Corsi for 5×5 (53.4) and 5×5/60 (3.22)
    McDavid w/o Pouliot: Corsi for 5×5 (52.7) and 5×5/60 (2.64)
    Pouliot with McDavid: Corsi for 5×5 (53.4) and 5×5/60 (2.82)
    Pouliot w/o McDavid: Corsi for 5×5 (49.6) and 5×5/60 (1.32)

10. jtblack says:

dustrock,

+1. Is this official??

11. TO10801 says:

I still think (hope) this is just the agent doing his job. PC also mentioned in his year end availability that he needs to give Nurse and Benning the ability to grow into larger roles. Are you really doing that when you have Sekera for another 3 years and Russell for 4 years. With that being said, they need a top 4 RHD and a sekera stop gap. IF they sign Russell to that contract then he’s your top 4 RHD and the stop gap will come later. It also means Eberle will go for a more affordable F likely (strome).

The one thing that reassures me is that PC is unpredictable.

12. jtblack says:

Touche …. What do those exact same numbers look like with Maroon instead of Pouliot? Does anyone else lift Connors boat? as we know he lifts most others … Pouliot 5×5/60 falls off a cliff without Connor ..

13. Bruce McCurdy says:

jtblack:

In 1981-82 Dave Lumley scored 32-42-74 with a (still) club record 12-game goal scoring streak during that portion of the season he actually played with 99. Doesn’t exactly square with “underperformance”.

14. dustrock says:

Although one wonders where Rishaug got his info.

Suspect this is a play by the agent. Let’s see what interest the market has.

Respect. It’s important.

16. nvan97 says:

TO10801,

Yeah, a 4 year deal for Russell indicates either they don’t think Nurse or Benning will be suitable for the 2nd pair or there is a deal in place that includes one of them. You wouldn’t sign an older vet to a 4 x 4 deal unless you think he is going to play on your 2nd pair. Maybe the smoke around the Avs involves Nurse or Benning.

17. TO10801 says:

Cassandra: Please, people who have been paying attention lost confidence in Chiarelli years ago.

But the fun hasn’t even begun.The contract will be signed, there will be an initial uproar, and then people here will talk themselves into liking the deal, or at least justifying it as necessary.Same thing as trading Eberle for Ladd*.The fans will come around.There is nothing Chiarelli can do the posters here will not applaud.

The fans have built their nest on the idea that the only thing that matters is the final results, an utterly falsifiable standard that allows them to justify any move without providing reasons or argument.

The Oilers have McDavid at the same time as the teams in the Pacific are aging and are burdened by terrible contracts.Other than an injury to McDavid it is impossible for them to not make the playoffs, which means by the standards of the fans Chiarelli cannot fail, no matter what how many self-inflicted wounds.

We could probably hold off on the criticism of PC until he signs Russell to an outrageous contract. I don’t think PC’s work has been all that bad. There has been good and bad just like any other GM in the league. I think you can criticize some of his work for being more short-term than long-term, but we all wanted the team to be competitive during 97’s ELC. I really don’t understand how you can be so upset when he took the team from 29th to being a top-10 team year-over-year.

18. Pouzar says:

nvan97:
    TO10801,

I have a feeling you may be on to something.
    Or
    I could be on something.

19. jtblack says:

If that was meant for me, I apologize .. it was the French version of (Touche’); as in you got me …

20. TO10801 says:

nvan97:
    TO10801,

Yeah that’s a great point. I was looking at the Avs and couldn’t figure out what the Oil would be looking at. Maybe your looking at Nurse + Eberle for a Duchene type +, but that really doesn’t save us any money.

Something to keep in mind is that Russell’s agent has some pressure to not screw up a long term deal this year, so I’m sure he will do everything possible to drive that price/term up.

21. nvan97 says:

Respect. It’s important.

You’re like the Godfather of Oilers discourse.
    “I’m gonna make an argument you can’t refuse.”
    “I have a sentimental weakness for my readers and I spoil them, as you can see. They talk when they should listen.”
    “I promise, that on the souls of my grandchildren, I will not be the one to break the peace we’ve made here today.”

22. PunjabiOil says:

It’s interesting – Rishaug is credible. Just a day or two ago, Spector indicated Oilers may not be willing to go 4 years (Spector appears to be close with Chiarelli). Rishaug also said lif the Oilers sign him it will be money that they can live with him being on the third pair in a year or two.

Stauffer suggested about a 60% chance the Oilers sign Russell, although indicated the Oilers may want someone more offensive and dynamic.

Signing Russell means there’s no room to upgrade the D. And he will drag down his defence.

Could it be a deflection? Puts pressure or a team like the Islanders to make the Hamonic swap?

23. TO10801 says:

PunjabiOil:
    It’s interesting – Rishaug is credible.Just a day or two ago, Spector indicated Oilers may not be willing to go 4 years (Spector appears to be close with Chiarelli).Rishaug also said lif the Oilers sign him it will be money that they can live with him being on the third pair in a year or two.

Signing Russell means there’s no room to upgrade the D.And he will drag down his defence.

Could it be a deflection?Puts pressure or a team like the Islanders to make the Hamonic swap?

jtblack:

Nope. It wasn’t you.

25. Oil2Oilers says:

Respect. It’s important.

https://youtu.be/6FOUqQt3Kg0 R-e-s-p-e-c-t

26. Greenberg says:

One of the Eberle rumors out east yesterday afternoon was Eberle to the Jets for Toby Enstrom, 32, who would have one year remaining on his $5.7-million deal. A would-be fit for our Sekera temporary replacement. Sometime in the past two years some folks on this location lusted after this Swede.

27. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! The D thingy for next year is going to be a thing. I was very small minority that hoped we could sign Shultz for sub $2MM, but in fairness he did have to go, he was so poorly used here:

“He’s the top priority when the season ends,” Rutherford admitted recently. “It’s not whether I can make it work, it’s more whether we can make it work. Him and us. Does he get a big raise? Of course he gets a big raise, which he well deserves, but we’re probably not going to be able to give him what he thinks he should get. We still control him for one year with arbitration, but then the arbitration number could come higher than what we can fit in the cap”

28. russ99 says:

dustrock:
    I would be upset with $4m x 2 years but would live with it.

As long as there’s no NMC, I’m OK with it, though I’d certainly prefer 2 years and slightly less dollars. But that’s part of the deal when working with FA, a 900K raise over last season doesn’t kill us, and there’s obvious cap cuts elsewhere to pay for our 2nd pair RHD.

We can move him in year 2 or 3 if Nurse/Benning surpass him, there will be a need for that kind of player around the league, he just turned 30 in May and can skate, it’s the well over 30 guys who can’t skate who fit the Ference/Phaneuf profile.

Adding a NMC would be MacTavish level stupid.

29. jtblack says:

Bruce McCurdy,

That’s my point. You can put any player with Gretz or McD and that player is going to do better. But does that mean they are the best option? Lumley clearly did well with 99, but wasnt’ considered as a long term solution.

Given TMac’s usage and possible frustration with Ebs and Pou; I don’t think they will be given much time with McD … But who knows !

30. Ducey says:

Re: Russell

If Russell goes to market, 4 x $4 M seems in the range of what he would get. He is 30, and is a top 4 D who can play both sides.

In his past he has had contracts with cap hits of $1.3, $1.5, $2.6 and last years $3.1.

If they pay him a little more so that he does not get a NMC, they likely can trade that contract in a year or two.

I’d rather have Russell and Eberle than no Eberle and someone like Petrovic

31. speeds says:

Ducey:

I’d rather have Russell and Eberle than no Eberle and someone like Petrovic

32. Ribs says:

It would be very Chiarelli for the Russell deal to be four years. He seems to bend a little too much at times. Russell is a guy you need to get value out of if you sign him. He’s a “want”, not a “need”.

33. LMHF#1 says:

TO10801: I try and stick with Stauffer as he is usually most plugged in, but gotta think Barrie may be there target.

Some don’t.

34. Ducey says:

The Avs are buying out Beauchemin.

Wonder if he would be ok as the Sekera fill in.

He is 37 but played 20 min a night last year. He is very durable and as tough as nails. Had 34 points two years ago. 18 last year. He was pretty good in ANA.

Hard to know how much he was dragged down by the dumpster fire in COL last year.

I’d be looking at him to see if he would sign a cheap one year deal if I was Chia.

35. jtblack says:

Ducey,

I was thinking the same thing with Giradi. Don’t know how well either guy can play now a days; but both would be inexpensive options …. 1 LHD; 1 RHD

I don’t believe signing Russell is a smart move!

36. Gret99zky says:

$4M X 4 years? No thanks!

Russell can toil in Calgary, Vancouver, or Toronto with that contract.

PC has to find better options out there.

Next year is going to be much harder to win than this year because not as many teams are going to take us lightly. Plus injuries. (we were unusually healthy this season)

37. Rondo says:

I thought Russell played very well in the playoffs. He plays a very aggressive game defensively. I’m not sure his body will hold up for 4years , blocking shots like he does takes a toll.

38. TO10801 says:

LMHF#1: Now would be the time to get Barrie if you believe he will rebound. I happen to – and also think he’d be a great fit on this team.

Some don’t.

I think Barrie could have huge years here. He would join an already really good PP, and at 5×5 it would be nice to have a dman that could jump in an finish some more of the odd man rushes 97 creates.

39. Ducey says:

speeds: That completely ignores the, what, 7M? in additional cap space they’d have, plus the lack of a multi year commitment to Russell.

They can handle the cap hit of Russell and Eberle this year. They have Sekera on LTIR for 1/2 the year.

I don’t think they have an issue trading either of Russell/ Eberle (or both) next year.

I have a lot of trouble with the idea the Oilers need to panic this year and dump Eberle for a Pysyk/ Petrovic. Those guys shoot right, and are cheaper, but are not much better than Russell (if at all). Then you are left with a massive hole in RW. Getting someone who can match Eberle’s production (51 pts) won’t come cheap either.

40. russ99 says:

Ducey:
    Re: Russell

If Russell goes to market,4 x $4 M seems in the range of what he would get. He is 30, and is a top 4 D who can play both sides.

I’d rather have Russell and Eberle than no Eberle and someone like Petrovic

I think the issue is really Russell and who else.

Bringing Russell in only levels things from this year, we should also be looking for another D to fill in while Sekera is out, who may not get back to this year’s level until the following season.

For the amount we’d pay Gryba to come back, we can keep a player who makes a difference in the defensive zone with the assumption that he can improve if put on his natural left side, and who we’d have a trade market for if the other D acquisition is a better fit and/or once Benning and Nurse surpass him.

41. digger50 says:

Question:

Should Oilers go after Brandon Davidson if he falls to Vegas and only costs a third rounder?

Its not an exciting option, however we need two D men for next year and he was previously trending well.

digger50:
    Question:

Yes. I think that’s a solid move. Jordie Benn if he’s available.

43. Pouzar says:

I’d prefer Spurgeon over Barrie.

44. misfit says:

I get the sense that, over time, Chiarelli has come resigned to the fact that he’s going to trade Eberle, and now it’s just a matter of what he’s looking to get for him. I have no confidence in him winning a trade, since I don’t think that’s ever his goal when making trades.

I also know that he’s going to lean heavily on his experiences in Boston. He signed his old player in Lucic as a free agent. He mentioned his history in facing Desharnais with Boston as a reason he felt comfortable giving up Davison for him for a playoff push.

The hole he saw going into the playoffs was filled with a rental who’s likely gone, so I could see him looking for a C to slot in behind Nuge (hopefully not to replace him), and someone who can win faceoffs. He also has now 2 holes on defense, but a Russell signing may somewhat eliminate that need in his mind.

I think if the Isles are heavily in the mix, it’s for a defenseman. Barrie is the obvious name from Colorado, but I could see Chiarelli having interest in Soderberg as well.

45. Scungilli Slushy says:

If Russell doesn’t have a movement clause, or maybe a limited clause such as twelve teams or the like, he becomes a free valuable asset.

46. Snowman says:

Hearing that Chia Pete is talking to the Avs is encouraging. The only player they have that makes sense to me as a return for Eberle is Duchene. He’s an excellent face off man. Same contract as Eberle. Better 5×5. He lets you play Nuge or Drai on the wing. He checks a lot of boxes (not a right shot though so there’s that I suppose) and I think you’d certainly have to add to Eberle for that to happen but lordy would that be a nice looking group. Mcdavid, Drai, Duchene and Nuge. Oh my.

I’m not seeing the interest in Barrie. You’ve got Benning in that 2RD spot for the next decade probably.

47. Pechetr says:

Has there been any discussion of moving RNH to Eberle’s spot if Eberle is moved and then bringing in a cheaper 3rd line C that can win faceoffs? Can RNH play the right side? Not as much of an issue if your top six RW is making 6 mil and he likely would produce more offense with less defensive responsibility.

John Shannon‏Verified account @JSportsnet 26s26 seconds ago
    Interest in Oilers’ Eberle continues to grow. Told now that 6 teams have expressed interest in the winger.

Encouraging in one way, discouraging in another.

49. Opie says:

Seen Tampa is open to trading Drouin. Picturing Drouin on a line with Connor with their speed and skill is crazy to think about. Would be golden imo. Goil

50. TO10801 says:

John Shannon‏Verified account @JSportsnet 3m3 minutes ago

Found this interesting. I wonder if some teams are concerned they are going to need to replace some scoring after the expansion draft. Gotta say though it has been next to impossible to get an idea of what his value is. From Strome to Hamonic and just about everything in between.

EDIT: LT your far too quick when your not on the radio!

51. stush18 says:

Snowman:

If it’s eberle to the avs, it’s gotta be centered around Barrie or Johnson. I cannot see them trading duchene for eberle.

52. PunjabiOil says:

The worse case scenario is the Oilers move Eberle for a much inferior lower cap hit forward like Strome, and then use the cap savings to give Russell a raise/term.

– You get the worse forward
    – You sign a defenceman who drags down everyone and their mother
    – You don’t have a spot open to upgrade your D.

We wait.

53. misfit says:

Snowman:

You’d have to think that some of the appeal in obtaining Eberle for the Avs would be as a linemate for Duchene. This is Sakic we’re talking about, and he would likely put stock in them playing together at the Worlds on multiple occasions.

I also don’t think Eberle’s value is that high, nor do I feel that Duchene is something Chiarelli feels he needs.

54. stush18 says:

ALSo LT, I hope you know I was bugging you about the 300 games played thing from last night. It came across as not sarcastic when I reread it.

I think following the 300 game rule applies more easily than a 5 yr rule.

55. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Duchenne is appealing for a lot of reasons. For what its worth I have it on good authority that he is considered part of the problem in that locker room… not saying he is but rather that at least one internal perspective paints him in a negative light as a teammate.

If that’s the case (I believe it is) then I would suggest he’s not a guy Chiarelli will acquire, given that I believe that the attitude towards Duchenne is similar to the attitude towards Hall.

stush18:

I think following the 300 game rule applies more easily than a 5 yr rule.

Oh yeah I was just being over the top. 🙂 Nurse is one of the inner cycle fellows i believe, so we’ll have plenty of time to see him develop into what he becomes.

57. TO10801 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Duchenne is appealing for a lot of reasons.For what its worth I have it on good authority that he is considered part of the problem in that locker room…not saying he is but rather that at least one internal perspective paints him in a negative light as a teammate.

58. jtblack says:

LT: you mus have cut your lawn 4 times this week …. Trades? Action?

I think I will be happy when we know about these side deals and know who Vegas actually picked.

59. Greenberg says:

Dan Petriw over at Hockeybuzz (their NYI contact) has a good report on Islanders’ Josh Ho-Sang. I mention this as he sometimes was mentioned as a trade (throw-in) possibility with the Isles instead of Strome.

60. Scungilli Slushy says:

I would be surprised given Chiarelli’s past with players rumoured to have a bit of the attitude, if he acquired somebody’s bad boy. At forward the need is players to compliment McDavid and Draisaitl.

I think by nature they would have to be comfortable being a support as opposed to a focus, and be willing to do more of the dirty work than the guys they are there to support. It took a while for Sather to find the right fit for Gretzky, in both ability and the willingness to do what was needed.

61. stush18 says:

Greenberg:

Eberle + jones for hamonic + ho-sang?

62. Jaxon says:

Lowetide: Pouliot and McDavid have performed stunningly well together:

McDavid with Pouliot: Corsi for 5×5 (53.4) and 5×5/60 (3.22)
    McDavid w/o Pouliot: Corsi for 5×5 (52.7) and 5×5/60 (2.64)
    Pouliot with McDavid: Corsi for 5×5 (53.4) and 5×5/60 (2.82)
    Pouliot w/oMcDavid: Corsi for 5×5 (49.6) and 5×5/60 (1.32)

Anyone doubting Pouliot’s scoring ability should go to Puckalytics and sort the 2 prior seasons (2014-2015 and 2015-2016) forwards with 624 minutes (includes McDavid) and sort by Primary Points per 60. It will show you where Pouliot landed while playing against top competition (in those days he was usually playing top 6). He is 44th. Eberle 45th. McDavid is 3rd (Seguin and P Kane), Hall is 18th, Marchand is just ahead at 42nd. Players behind Pouliot and Eberle? 46. Kuznetsov, 49. Pavelski, 50. Ovechkin!!!, 59. Lucic!! 62. Backstrom, 66. Getzlaf, 67. Gaudreau, 69. Toews!!, 70. Couture, 74. Panarin, 75. Carter, 77. Oshie, 82. Kopitar, 83. BErgeron, 92. Kessel, 103. Landeskog, 104. Atkinson, 106. Nugent-Hopkins, 111. Voracek, 114. Johansen, 115. Simmonds, 116. Rakell. He has become such a goat for Oiler fans. If you sort by wingers only, he is 25th!!!!! and Eberle is 26th.

63. NomoreLoweMcT says:

I’ll be happy when Pouiliot is either bought out, picked up by Vegas in the draft (with sweetener thrown in) or traded so I wont have to read anymore about how LT continually defends him. Putting him on the potential first line with McD is absurd given his numbers last year.

No Reinhard bashing in todays post which is nice to read. Gotta agree with LT though about if the Oilers could get Duchene, that would be a great pickup. Hamonic of Petrovic would be nice additions if one of them were to come our way. Chiarelli is hopefully way to smart to take on Dion or any other older, slower D-men.

64. jtblack says:

Jaxon,

Well then, PC should have 30 GM’s lining up to get a hold of this unbelievable player!

65. Truth says:

If Eberle’s name is out there as being available, and teams aren’t calling Chiarelli about him they are simply not doing their job. He’s currently being perceived as an overpaid, under performing, soft – skill player based mostly off a bad playoffs and a year in which he scored on well under his average shot %. History suggests he’ll turn it around. Therefore, I would imagine all of the interest is attempts to get Eberle at a discount. Why is it that the Oilers always try to trade their players at their lowest perceived value?

Would the Oilers get more in return for Maroon or Eberle if a trade was made today?

If the answer is Maroon, then Eberle should not be traded.

If the desire to trade Eberle is purely cap hit based, they don’t have to worry about it until McDavid’s contract kicks in. I’d trade Maroon for a younger potential long term Eberle replacement (because if he somehow maintains his scoring pace he will outprice himself out of Edmonton anyway), and roll the dice that Eberle returns to form by the trade deadline next season and trade him then for fair value.

66. LostBoy says:

Yost on EBerle

I harped on this weeks ago, but the accepted-wisdom characterization of Eberle’s season is hard to square with the facts. His ESPP60 was the lowest of his career, but only marginally lower than the past three seasons (1.76 vs 1.85-1.98). The main reasons for a drop in boxcar productivity were an in season switch to second line deployment (career low average ice time) and luck (shooting percentage five points off his career average). He still massively overperformed his ice time, delivering first line boxcars with second line minutes.

I’m not defending his playoffs or saying not to trade him or anything else. But it doesn’t seem like there’s any possibility of getting anything but cents on the dollar right now. And if he goes, that’s an awfully big hole in scoring to hope somebody can fill. The play is to keep him until real crunch time next year. He almost can’t possibly have less value then, and very possibly much more.

67. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

LostBoy,

– I don’t hate on Ebs, I just think if they can find a deal that makes sense, they will do it.

– In his last 17 games: he scored 6 goals: the hatty against Vancouver on last game, then another one the game before against Vancouver, then 2 gol vs. Col (between 14 games with no goals).

– He got his 20 goals sure, but upon further review: most of those goals are replaceable.

– My bias is that Ebs, while he scores goals, someone else given the same situation and linemates should do almost as well, and cheaper. Just as Hall’s goals got replaced, so can Ebs.

– I’m cherry picking stats to be sure, and goals are randomn events, but I think the team is going to be hard pressed to just let things regress next year for Ebs, and hope he rebounds. He’s had 2 years in the system.

– I don’t know if its smart to trade him now, but I get what they would.

I think, despite what was said after the season, the Oilers management must have been disappointed with Nuge-Eberle and the offense provided. I mean, if those two piss a drop maybe you get to the third round. I like both players and remain a little choked about it. Doesn’t mean they’re going to be dealt but it’s an option and a possibility.

69. LMHF#1 says:

If those two were going, the season would have just been wrapping up. I’d be poorer, but happier.

It’s more obvious what is going on with Hopkins – changing his game and all that. I’m struggling more with what has happened to Eberle. He’s lost all his confidence and patience as a shooter. I can recall it going back to him struggling to get his first hat trick and seemingly snowballing from there. He’s also had injuries to and near his hand though…might be that he just can’t bring his #1 skill any more.

Much as I’m a huge fan of #14, mainly because in his early career he would not play a single bad game for weeks on end, if you know he’s broken, you have to move him now.

70. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

…the Oilers management must have been disappointed with Nuge-Eberle and the offense provided. I mean, if those two piss a drop maybe you get to the third round…

– Well said: I think it’s easier to parse stats and look for silver linings than being the GM in the results business, and trusting that they will do better next time…

– To not move Ebs or Nuge, is to risk going into the playoffs next year with them again and have the same result: then get killed for not making moves: that’s a CLM.

– That’s a lot of pressure that is easily diffused

71. Doug McLachlan says:

One of the things I keep commenting on is how tight-lipped the Chia Oilers are.

I believe Rishaug, Spector and Stauffer are as plugged in as anyone but there isn’t much to report from the offices on Kingsway like there used to be. I think that a lot of things are in the air but Chia’s true intentions are kept very, very close to his chest.

I accept that this is good for the team but as a fan trying to glean nuggets of gold on a June afternoon – not so good.

As regards the Russell rumours, I am sure that his agent would be thrilled with a $4M x 4 yrs deal but I would be stunned to see that being Chia’s plan. As was noted above, it may be helpful to float that as a possibility if it puts pressure on Snow or Sakic to move off a hard-bargaining position – though I suspect that the trade deadline of 10 am ET Saturday is a much more important pressure point (especially for Snow).

With respect to the Eberle situation, I thought Yost’s article on the TSN site captured the issue perfectly – if we are going to deal a 20-25 goal man, it had better be for a substantive improvement elsewhere because that production is not easy to replace. I am prepared to accept that Hamonic could be such an improvement but will be watching closely.

72. AZOIL says:

Drouin to MTL

The Canadiens acquire Jonathan Drouin + a cond. 6th-round pick (2018) from TBL, in return for M. Sergachev + a cond. 2nd-round pick (2018).

73. adamjames says:

So Habs get Drouin and a 6th for Sergachev and a 2nd. That sorta seems like a pretty fair deal, especially considering they play in the same division. Woulda thought there would need to be more going to Tampa to trade within the Atlantic

74. leadfarmer says:

If Russell is signed long term I do wonder if that means Nurse isn’t in long term plans

75. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

TO10801: I believe the “bad in the locker room” narrative generally comes from players on crappy teams, and its likely because nobody likes to lose. During the last decade, it seemed the oilers always had a divide in their room, which is likely due to everyone being pissy about losing. Take Patrick Kane for example, who has been accused on certain crimes (whether or not he did it), and kind of comes off as a dink, but there is never anything being reported about him being bad for the room. Its a lot easier to deal with people you don’t like when your winning.

I agree. I do, however, think the locker-room issues are part of the managers equation, rightly or wrongly.

Doug McLachlan:
    One of the things I keep commenting on is how tight-lipped the Chia Oilers are.

Yep. The first sign of Hall for Larsson was Bob a couple of days before mentioning him as an option. That came after the entry draft. PC tells no one everything, or at least it appears that way.

77. --hudson-- says:

AZOIL:
    Drouin to MTL

I think that takes Tyler Johnson off the list of potential targets. They’ll have no trouble protecting him and will have cap space to get him signed.

It looks like a win-win trade for both teams, making good out of a tough situation.

78. Nuclear leak says:

With all the defenders that are available, Russell is not getting 16million out of Chia, it’s not happening.

If the Oilers were to trade Nurse, after the price Chia paid for Larsson, the overpay for Nurse will be massive or Chia will not be letting Nurse go. Nurse will land a 1st line forward, or top 2 defender. Chia has already set the establish price for this.

79. TO10801 says:

Wow I would never give up a potential #1 dman for a winger, regarless of how dynamic Drouin is. MTL still has no center depth and their Defense is no screaming hell. They have Petry and Weber as top-4, with Beaulieu and Benn as better 5/6 options. So now, they can either trade Galchenyuk for a D or a C. I’m not all that sure I would be comfortable with Bergevin running my team at the moment.

80. slopitch says:

I think this is it. Those two were majorly disappoint vs Anaheim and the gap btw 2nd and 3rd round was perhaps a goal and the refs doing their job.

Good trade for the Habs.

81. Doug McLachlan says:

–hudson–,

On the flip side, is Alex Galchenuyk potentially on the move for a young, waiver exempt d-man?

82. Ducey says:

TO10801:

Yeah. Stevie Y may have stolen one there. Perhaps not in the next two years, but Sergachev looks like a stud. Drouin has been tough to deal with so far and likely will want something north of $5 M to sign. Sure a good way to get out of his expansion/ cap troubles.

I was thinking that perhaps MTL would be looking at Eberle but they likely would take Drouin ahead of him as they always need a French speaking star. It will be interesting to see how Drouin deals with that.

83. --hudson-- says:

TO10801:

That’s very true, unless Drouin can play center, which his scouting report says he can. If he sticks on the wing then they’ve traded away their top prospect and not addressed their top need.

Just for fun, I looked at the stats for Eberle versus Drouin. Eberle has had the stronger results in 5v5 and Drouin is much better on the powerplay. Drouin’s year at 5v5 is worse than any season Eberle has had so far.

I really hope Chia can win the Eberle trade. If he can’t win in this position with leverage, I doubt he will ever win a trade with a prime piece involved (with exception to smaller deals).

Drouin

Corsi for 5×5 %: 51.8
    Corsi Rel 5×5 %: 2.3
    Shots on goal/percentage: 156 shots/8.97%
    Boxcars: 82gp, 20-31-51
    27 years old, 5’11”, 181 lbs

84. Cassandra says:

Trading Drouin means TB can protect Namestnikov and now have no one useful available, so the real loser is Las Vegas

TB gets Namestnikov, Sergachev, and a 2nd round pick for the price of Drouin, which is, once again, excellent work by Yzerman, the best general manager in the league.

Montreal might do well here too, if Drouin replaces Galchenyuk, but it depends on the other shoe.

85. misfit says:

Did Tampa really make out like bandits in that deal? Sergachev is a terrific prospect, but I’m not so sure. It’s definitely not a home run.

misfit:
    Did Tampa really make out like bandits in that deal?Sergachev is a terrific prospect, but I’m not so sure.It’s definitely not a home run.

It’s a good trade for both teams, similar (on a greater scale) to my Slepyshev idea. TBAY was going to lose a good player anyway, so Drouin goes to Montreal. Sergachev is a terrific prospect, but he is a prospect. I really like the trade for both sides. Very creative.

87. TheFinn60 says:

I am not sure but to me it looks like Oiler improvement this past years comes down to a couple of things.

1. McD and Drai were both health for main part of the season and produced well.

2. The D improved most and I think the guys at Trip
    preformance have it right and if one look at the result it kind of manifest what they say about the main reason.

iMO (humble), there is a need to get more scoring goung , doesn’t need to be another 30 goals but at least 15-20. Those goals need to come through adding some scoring from the 2nd and 3rd line forwards while the D keeps it up in the other end.

Therefore keeping Russell can be an option but there is a need to get in another guy on D that can contribute with a few goals while notweak on the D side

Trading Ebs might get you that type of D guy and most probably in a deal with Vegas for Petrovic or Pysky.

If they already have Foo in the fold it should be less risky but its not enough. You will need to get a Williams type of guy on top for a couple of years. Should be possible if they not totally have overpay for Drai and McD. Ebs trade should give you that money.

If Russell have a similar year as the last and they sign him for that 4×4 deal that is mentioned in rumours I could live with it as he would have trade value and would maybe be offloaded in a package deal where Oil keep part of the salary, especially if Nurse and Benning keeps it up. Still a hard contract to live with thou and risky.

Still think we sit with Ebs if no deal with LV and I am fine with that as he might bounce back and add scoring.

Let’s what happens the next coming days

Have a great day you all

88. leadfarmer says:

misfit:

Given that no one is trading right now that is a pretty good deal. Good d prospects that don’t need to be protected are worth gold right now.

89. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– We need to be doing these kind of trades now: selling magic beans for bona-fide players.

– Totally spit-balling, but pool-party for a Faulk type-stuff

90. misfit says:

No question. If I’m Montreal, I’m not trading Sergachev for anything less than what they just got for him, because his potential is immense. But considering it’s just that (potential), Tampa Bay took a pretty big gamble in giving up a really good player who has already proven he can do it at the NHL level. I mean, what pressure was there on Tampa to move Drouin?

91. russ99 says:

Pechetr:

Bad idea. Nuge is poor at RW in the same things Draisaitl is good at.

He’s got a career 10.0 shooting percentage and hit 9.0 last year.

He coughs up the puck on the back wall and doesn’t go to tough areas.

We need a shooter on Connor’s line and a carrier/crasher/cycler on Leon’s line.

He’s not a great shot and he isn’t very good in the cycle, so how would he help at RW?

92. Pink Socks says:

I dunno about that trade. Montreal got the established player, but didn’t they truly desire a #1 centre with size? Unreal that now one of the best D prospects is gone and they still don’t have they’re greatest need. Stevie Y looks pretty smart with that trade.

It’s a good trade for each team just from a perspective of value, but TB accomplished their 2 greatest needs, acquiring more D, and freeing up cap space and opening a spot to protect another forward. Montreal was able to get a French speaking star for their team. Congrats Bergevin.

93. Gret99zky says:

Nope. Montreal gets the better player now. So they win the trade.

(did I do that right?)

94. Pink Socks says:

misfit:
    No question.If I’m Montreal, I’m not trading Sergachev for anything less than what they just got for him, because his potential is immense.But considering it’s just that (potential), Tampa Bay took a pretty big gamble in giving up a really good player who has already proven he can do it at the NHL level.I mean, what pressure was there on Tampa to move Drouin?

Tons of pressure from a cap and expansion perspective. Now they get to keep Namestnikov, and resign Johnson, all while picking up a phenomenal prospect. Great trade for TB.

95. misfit says:

Drouin is better than Gomez, so the Canadiens are getting better at this.

96. Cassandra says:

misfit:

TB was under both expansion draft and salary cap pressure. First, they were one of the few players that was going to lose a decent forward. Now they aren’t. Second, Johnson, Palat, and Drouin were all RFA, it would have been difficult to keep all three long term and still have money to address the D.

So not only do they get Sergachev and the second round pick, but doing the deal now means they keep Nametnikov, Palat, and Johnson.

That is neat work. Drouin is a dynamic player, he also scored only two more points than Eberle, who apparently has negative value.

97. Pink Socks says:

Cassandra:

98. Pink Socks says:

misfit:
    Drouin is better than Gomez, so the Canadiens are getting better at this.

At the time of acquisition I’m not so sure, I’d call them about equal. Sure Gomez fell off a cliff the following season, but I think it’s fair to say Gomez = Drouin at the time of each trade.

So now Montreal has traded Ryan McDonagh and Mikhail Sergachev for Scott Gomez X2. Montreal has to stop doing this.

99. Pink Socks says:

Cassandra: TB was under both expansion draft and salary cap pressure.First, they were one of the few players that was going to lose a decent forward.Now they aren’t.Second, Johnson, Palat, and Drouin were all RFA, it would have been difficult to keep all three long term and still have money to address the D.

That is neat work.Drouin is a dynamic player, he also scored only two more points than Eberle, who apparently has negative value.

This is weird but, +1

100. digger50 says:

Jaxon: I love your support of Pouliot. I agree with you 100%. He had a down year, but wasn’t really put in a position to score. He is the fastest of the left wingers and he does play a complete game. I think his quick touch style meshes well with McDavid.

I think it is a personality thing, mental thing and thus his latest numbers do not signal the end of his career but time to move on. I think he can play, so should be tradable or first up for Las Vegas. Only thing out of line, he received the “thank you coming to Edmonton” inflated contract. That trend has at least been reversed. Change or reframe how you view the contract, a team would have him.

101. TO10801 says:

Pink Socks: Galchenyuk had better bring back a legitimate #1 C or Bergevin has screwed up yet again.

102. Pink Socks says:

TO10801: Yup and there is talk of Drouin as a C, but personally I don’t see it. He is your typical skilled winger, and as someone mentioned he hasn’t played much against the elites. I’m not sure Bergevin opened up a hole on his roster, but I don’t think he filled one either. That’s a lot of futures to give up while not filling either of MTLs major holes. One thing this trade may signal is that Radulov is not coming back.

103. LoDog says:

Gret99zky:
    Nope.Montreal gets the better player now. So they win the trade.

(did I do that right?)

HAHA. No no. thats only when the Oilers trade a blog favourite that the deal is based on absolutes at the time of the trade. When TBY does its the best GM in the league.

104. TO10801 says:

Pink Socks: I agree, a few different ways to read it, but I can’t find the way to read it in that Bergevin made a smart decision here.

Yup agreed. I am so interested to see what MTL does from here on in. I guess one benefit if it is Drouin instead of Radulov is that they are getting a younger player instead of a 31 year old Radulov.

105. TO10801 says:

TB will likely lose on of Dotchin or Sustr in expansion. Both would be interesting for us I would think.

106. Chachi says:

Yzerman is now the worst GM in the NHL. What an awful trade. I blame all 18,000 Tampa Bay fans for this travesty. I don’t care if the Lightning win the next 10 Stanley Cups – winning is meaningless!!! I am going to haunt a random TB Lightning blog (while changing my handle every 6 months) and troll hard calling everyone stupid until, I don’t know, someone agrees with me or rubs my belly or something.

107. jtblack says:

TO10801,

The conditions are if sERagchev plays 40 games or more next year including the playoffs then the draft picks are NOT swapped otherwise the draft picks are swapped

108. dustrock says:

So one expects Galchenyuk to be traded somewhere for certain at this point.

109. N64 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: I agree.I do, however, think the locker-room issues are part of the managers equation, rightly or wrongly.

And Managent suite issues are a part of every free agent’s equation. Rightly and rightly.

110. Ducey says:

Someone explain to me what the hell the Canucks are doing.

They just signed Gudbranson to a 1 yr $3.5 M deal. So next year he will be UFA.

So they get two (dark) years of Gudbranson for McCann (who was a 1st rounder in ’14), a second and a fourth this year.

I guess they can flip him at the deadline, but that will get them a second or so next year.

Chia should have Benning on speed dial.

111. Jaxon says:

digger50: I have zero evidence, but I feel Pouliot simply butted heads with the new coach and they could not move past it.

Pavelski, 50. Ovechkin!!!, 59. Lucic!! 62. Backstrom, 66. Getzlaf, 67. Gaudreau, 69. Toews!!, 70. Couture, 74. Panarin, 75. Carter, 77. Oshie, 82. Kopitar, 83. Bergeron, 92. Kessel, 103. Landeskog, 104. Atkinson, 106. Nugent-Hopkins, 111. Voracek, 114. Johansen, 115. Simmonds, 116. Rakell.

It’s strange, though, that his contract seems like such an albatross to people when he was scoring at a higher rate than many stars (see list above). He was scoring at the 45th highest rate, but getting paid at the 130th highest rate among forwards. He also has value as a penalty killer, which many stars do not. I think this demonization over a bunch of offensive zone penalties got way out of hand and there doesn’t seem to be any way to return from that in fans’ eyes or MacLellan’s. I feel for the guy.

112. digger50 says:

Jaxon:

I feel there is definitely a thing going on “out with the old, in with new” and many previous first line Oilers have been caught up in it. It’s a shame when you think about these young men, but I don’t see any right or wrong to it, it just is.

However it is a part of turning the corner and the sooner Shultz and others get to a better place for themselves, the healthier they will be.

113. Jaxon says:

digger50,

Yeah. You may be right. Chiarelli has almost replaced all the old guard on the ice. Is amazing to think that only Eberle and Nuge remain from the 31 players who played on the roster in 2012-2013.

Jaxon:
    digger50,

Here is the 50-man on the day when PC took over:

115. Jaxon says:

Lowetide: Here is the 50-man on the day when PC took over:

It might end up that only Klefbom, Nurse, Draisaitl and Slepyshev survive from when he took over. Maybe even less. Wow, what a turn over. Maybe just Klefbom and Draisaitl. Who knows?