SHELL GAME

We don’t know what we don’t know, but the signing of Jujhar Khaira today (Ryan Rishaug has the details, $650k and then $700k on a two-year, one-way deal) is an interesting prelude to the madness just over the hill.

When it happened, my mind quickly turned over the possibilities. Could the Oilers be signing Khaira as a setup for trade? To make him more attractive to Vegas? Are they simply doing their due diligence?

In the end, it doesn’t matter. Vegas would have an evaluation on this player that reads similarly to the one Edmonton would have on their own man.

• Simon Boisvert: I do think he is NHL-ready. He is very confident now offensively, he reminds me of the Khaira I remember from the BCJHL. This is the year when prospects who have already spent two years in the AHL should be in the NHL—otherwise they become career AHLers. Or tweeners. He is ready for the show. He is their best forward (in Bakersfield), now the question is when will he be called up? Source

That offense Simon talks about is important. Khaira is going to have a career as a 4line role player, but he can help himself by posting some offense. This final AHL season saw him post some good boxcars and that’s a good sign.

BAKERSFIELD FORWARDS EV GF-GA 2016-17

• The prospects at the top (Khaira, Laleggia whose numbers are January 1+, so he is a forward here, Slepyshev) are the players who we will be talking about over the next three years if they are still here.
  • Greg Chase and Braden Christoffer show up reasonably well here.
  • Jesse Puljujarvi’s number is probably predictable but does suggest he needs a Lander (impact center) even at the AHLlevel.
  • The rest of these kids have work to do, aren’t going to make it, or are gone.
  • These are Eric Rodgers numbers, I thank him so much for his hard work. You can follow him here.

CURRENT-50 MAN LIST (35)

1. G Cam Talbot. No. 1 goalie, will he have a veteran backup in 2017-18?
  2. G Laurent Brossoit. If he’s in Edmonton this fall, a lock for backup. Right?
  3. G Nick Ellis. Splendid first year pro, on par with Brossoit if he can sustain it.
  4. G Shane Starrett. Another college goalie with strong resume. First pro season coming up.
  5. G Dylan Wells. Slide rule, he’ll spend one more year in junior.
  6. LD Oscar Klefbom. Can he hit 40 points? 25 minutes a night? Quality.
  7. RD Adam Larsson. Consistent defenseman, with an edge.
  8. LD Andrej Sekera. He could be out for five months. A massive loss.
  9. RD Matt Benning. An absolutely stunning addition right where it was needed.
  10. LD Darnell Nurse. Trade whispers? Nah.
  11. RD Mark Fayne. He is in the NHL mix with the Sekera injury.
  12. LD Ziyat Paigin. Wingspan of a Condor, pro experience, shutdown talent.
  13. LD Ben Betker. Big man should get a full AHL season.
  14. RD Ethan Bear. Posted a terrific junior career and should have prominent role in AHL.
  15. LD Caleb Jones. He arrives in pro hockey with good speed and a range of skills.
  16. RD Ryan Mantha. Interesting new arrival. Big man, big shot, good speed.
  17. LD William Lagesson. He’ll spend the year in SHL shutting down Swedish forwards.
  18. LC Connor McDavid. He’ll have a big June, including his first major award.
  19. LC Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Beginning to hear his name in the ether.
  20. RC Mark Letestu. Great utility, can he score 16 again?
  21. LC Jujhar Khaira. Newly signed
  22. LC Joe Gambardella. Strong college career, he could surprise in Bakersfield.
  23. RC Kyle Platzer. He should get a feature role in Bakersfield if they believe in him at all.
  24. L Milan Lucic. A stronger 5×5 performance next year is a must.
  25. L Patrick Maroon. He won the McDavid job, can he keep it and score 30?
  26. L Drake Caggiula. Looked better late in the year and in postseason.
  27. L Benoit Pouliot. Expansion Golden Knights might reach out and grab him.
  28. L Braden Christoffer. AHL energy winger.
  29. L Tyler Benson. Slide rule, finally got an update on him (below).
  30. R Jordan Eberle. Trade value may keep him here, that’s not a bad thing.
  31. R Jesse Puljujarvi. One of the major stories for this coming training camp.
  32. R Anton Slepyshev. I think he’ll be a regular, can he score 15? 20?
  33. R Iiro Pakarinen. Most recent signing, he’ll try to win 13 or 14F.
  34. R Patrick Russell. Scored only 8 times as rookie pro. Needs to fill the net this year.
  35. R Greg Chase. Final year of entry-level deal ahead, has shown only flashes.

DESTINATION UNKNOWN

1. G Eetu Laurikainen. Signed with JYP of Finland’s Sm-Liiga.
  2. LD Kris Russell.  Many people are saying Edmonton has competition for his services.
  3. LD Griffin Reinhart, RFA. No. 7D if he survives the expansion draft.
  4. RD Eric Gryba. Possible 7D but it would probably be a late signing again.
  5. LD Jordan Oesterle. UFA may have extra value with Sekera inj if they see him as third pair.
  6. LD Mark Fraser. Played third pair in Bakersfield, veteran enforcer/defender.
  7. LD Dillon Simpson RFA. Some of Eric Rodgers numbers (EV GF-GA) favored him.
  8. LD David Musil RFA.. His KHL rights now belong to CSKA Moscow.
  9. LC Leon Draisiatl, RFA. How much $, and for how long? Important signing.
  10. LC Anton Lander. Officially signed with Ak Bars of the KHL.
  11. LC David Desharnais. Scored a huge goal versus San Jose, unlikely to be back.
  12. LC Jere Sallinen. Signed in Sweden (Orebro HK) after unsuccessful season.
  13. RC Henrik Samuelsson, RFA. Major disappointment after trade. Future unknown.
  14. RC Zach Pochiro RFA. Remnant of Yakupov deal, unlikely to return.
  15. L Matt Hendricks. In the olden days, this is where we start talking roving minor  league coach.
  16. L Joey Laleggia. RFA, suddenly an important signing.
  17. R Zack Kassian. RFA. He has far more speed than anticipated, could score 10-15.
  18. R Tyler Pitlick. His return may depend on other summer moves by the Oilers.
  19. R Justin Fontaine. Edmonton will need a quality veteran in the AHL, could be him.

31 Responses to "SHELL GAME"

1. DBO says:

Crazy fun time. Multiple trade deadlines and happenings this month.

Said it before, but I still hope Chia keeps his powder dry and runs at a Vegas dman or looks for a better player like Faulk after draft. I still think it’ll be Nuge who goes based on value, but if the Eberle verbal is true then maybe his value is higher then we realize.

I’ll go with no deal tomorrow. And at expansion draft Pouliot will go along with a solid prospect like Jones to Vegas. That’s best case for me. Cap issues solved. Use prospect depth to fill huge need for Vegas as they will need solid young players and while Jones could turn into something, he is blocked by Klef, Nurse and Sekera and not to mention Reinhart who I expect to have a huge year this year. No reasoning to deliver, just a gut feeling about the young man.

2. jtblack says:

Could this mean Letestu is chosen by Vegas?

Love the old picks of the players when you preview them!

3. blainer says:

Maybe it happens tomorrow maybe not.

I also think that the Oil are trying to get Russell signed and that is the shoe that needs to drop for the movement to start.

It’s also very possible the moves for this team happen after the expansion draft.

IMO Hamonic is not as valuable to me as he is to others. Which Hamonic are you getting … the one from three years ago or last years. Same with ebs.

I consider their value equal as for me Hamonic had a much worse year than Ebs. He was injured but players are often not the same after injuries. No way I am adding to Ebs for Hamonic.. JMO.

4. jtblack says:

blainer,

“I am very surprised by the lack of trades at this point. I defiantly thought there would be at least a half dozen trades by now.”

LT took the week off 🙂

We all thought that. They still may come at the last minute. GM’s are probably creating competition with multiple bidders and will accept something at the last minute.

5. russ99 says:

DBO:
    Crazy fun time. Multiple trade deadlines and happenings this month.

Yeah, I hope a deal can be made to send Pouliot to Vegas with prospects not picks.

This years and next years’ picks are more valuable to our window with bringing in skilled forwards on ELCs to fill in and win some jobs when we’re at the cap, I’d buy out Pouliot rather than waste picks getting Vegas to take him.

Any word on the $75M cap for next year being voted on by the players yet?

I suspect there will be a number of deals before the deadline, lots of high stakes chicken being played right now

LT: I’m especially appreciative of this site today every other hockey site and twitter are filled with nasty arguments.

6. JDI says:

russ99: Any word on the $75M cap for next year being voted on by the players yet?

I read it may take a day or so to get the voting done, and then it’s unknown when they’ll announce, but they’ve been asked to get the number by a certain date.

7. blainer says:

jtblack:
    blainer,

LT took the week off 🙂

8. --hudson-- says:

blainer: I was thinking that too. Tomorrow morning could end up in trade madness… errrr not..

There is slow news being made even today. Looks like the Islanders are out on Duchene:

The Avs aren’t interested in Hamonic. Maybe Eberle is option #2 for the Isles and they’re going to start work on it now.

Although fussy britches also said the Avs are interested in Eberle.

9. digger50 says:

DBO:
    Crazy fun time. Multiple trade deadlines and happenings this month.

Well I have come around to your line of thinking.

I’m sure Peter is on the phone but if there is no obvious way to make the team better, and even some risk of making it worse, then just hold tight.

Focus on losing the right player to Vegas, and that should be Pouliot. Not to pick on him but salary cleared plus I doubt coach will play him. That is a win right there.

Take a run at a Vegas d man.

Could easily end up:

Lose Pouliot
    Trade for Davidson or Jordie Benn
    Sign Russel
    Sign Foo

And we are all done.

10. jtblack says:

digger50,

I dont think Vegas wants Pou. Or the sweetener has to be worth it. Every team is trying to off load a contract like Pouliot’s I see Vegas only taking 1 or 2 of thios at max. We will find out tomorrow. I think Mcphee wants players he can trade or players who have value for trade. Bad contracts only get him an asset and he is “stuck” woth that player

11. OriginalPouzar says:

1) Buying out Pouliot would be a terrible idea – not when you can retain salary and create a very tradeable asset which, in turn, allows the cap hit to fall off after two years, not 4. I can’t see there not being a market for Pouliot at a cap hit of $2.5M for two years. We could probably get a pick too.

2) Cap is announced on June 30.

12. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar,

Agree. No need to buyout. Better to keep him and utilize him as 3 LW or 4 LW.

1 Jujhar Khaira
    10 Eakin
    11 No
    12 Three

14. JDI says:

File this under ‘whelming’:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 5m5 minutes ago

ARI sends 5th round pick and Brendan Warren (Univ of Michigan) to PHI for Nick Cousins.

15. leadfarmer says:

JDI:
    File this under ‘whelming’:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 5m5 minutes ago

ARI sends 5th round pick and Brendan Warren (Univ of Michigan)to PHI for Nick Cousins.

And Madsen, decent g for Harvard back to Arizona. That 5th rounder is also next year’s 5th rounder. Seems like those GM wallets are very tightly closed

16. Jaxon says:

What would you give up for LD Jack Johnson (1 year left at $4.36M) and C Boone Jenner (1 year left to RFA at $2.9M? What would it take?

What about for Jenner and David Savard (4 years left at $4.25M)?

Jaxon:

I like Jenner, wouldn’t pursue Johnson.

18. Jaxon says:

Lowetide: I like Jenner, wouldn’t pursue Johnson.

Jackson is just like a 1 year rental to replace Sekera this season. You probably won’t get a cheaper LD that good on the UFA market and it helps CBJ, so maybe you can get Jenner for less than his value by taking on the final year of Johnson’s contract so they don’t lose him for nothing in the expansion draft. They’ll also have to make a choice between Jenner and others. I love Jenner, he’s a C who is fast and shoots a lot. It would allow Edmonton to move Nugent-Hopkins for a bigger piece of the puzzle. Still need a RHD like Faulk, or Hamonic. Jenner or Savard would be amazing but I don’t see CBJ pulling the trigger on a trade like that unless you give them a lot.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Savard is my personal number one trade target – I’m not sure how realistic it is and what the cost would be.

20. Jaxon says:

In the same vein what would you give up for Hamonic and Halak that isn’t Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins? Puljujarvi? +Picks? More? What would it take?

21. maudite says:

I was suprised Lander didn’t have his agent kick the tires on Vegas prior to signing overseas. That’s one of those players that could end up with a few years on an expansion team kind of level.

22. TheFinn60 says:

Still think Chia has something worked out with LV involving Ebs. The JK signing is interesting and might be a step towards setting up another trade down the road.

Let’s tmrw what panes out but there will be some deals cut with LV from a number of different teams. If not it will be high activity from a lot of teams after the extension draft is over and done with.

Sure LV will take a few bad contracts and trade them, by retaining salary. But its a lot of guess work all over the place now, me included among “guessers”.

23. Jaxon says:

Lowetide: I like Jenner, wouldn’t pursue Johnson.

Eberle and Jones for Jenner and Johnson?

EDIT: Overpay? 1st and Jones for Jenner and Johnson?

24. Evilas says:

Hey LT,

Did you mean to post more info or a link regarding Tyler Benson? I don’t see anything here…..

Evilas:
    Hey LT,

Did you mean to post more info or a link regarding Tyler Benson?I don’t see anything here…..

Matty had an update

26. digger50 says:

jtblack:
    digger50,

I dont think Vegas wants Pou. Or the sweetener has to be worth it.Every team is trying to off load a contract like Pouliot’s I see Vegas only taking 1 or 2 of thios at max.We will find out tomorrow.I think Mcphee wants players he can trade or players who have value for trade. Bad contracts only get him an asset and he is “stuck” woth that player

Yes, doubt he is tops on thier list, thus if Peter did manage to move him I’d call that a win in itself and be happy with it.
    Guess I’m saying my expectations are dwindling fast.

Edit: plus he would likely outplay Letestu, Khaira, or Rienhart for the next couple of years so in regards to actually playing he just may be the best they take away from the Oilers.

Jaxon: Eberle and Jones for Jenner and Johnson?

EDIT: Overpay? 1st and Jones for Jenner and Johnson?

I wouldn’t trade for Johnson.

28. JDI says:

Lowetide: Matty had an update

Benson Goes Camping!

Just has to make it to Penticton in one piece.

29. Optimism is like heroin says:

one thing i like right now is some depth in the goal, when was the last time the oil had 4 young possibly good tenders

30. meanashell11 says:

and in other news apparently Stepan is worth a top RHD and Ebs is worth nothing…….

31. blainer says:

I suspect Chia and Snow are leaving a deal on the table to the last minute much like the Reinhart deal.

I don’t believe Chia makes another trade with Snow unless it really favors him.. I sure would be careful dealing with Snow if I were Chia.

Lets see who blinks first or if they both just say no which is what I expect to happen.