INTRODUCING RYAN STROME

Jordan Eberle had the puck on his stick, and he had time, Corey Perry bearing down with ill will on his mind. The play did not work out well for Eberle, nor the aftermath. Sometimes in life you pay in full for a mistake or lapse in judgement, and that play (or an accumulation of many such plays) probably sent Peter Chiarelli to the trade market. If you’re looking for a reason beyond cap, that’s my answer to you.

Lots of people online going crazy about this deal, but we have discussed it going back some time. We also discussed the Kris Russell signing, which appears to be on the horizon. We also talked about the club signing Spencer Foo as an option on RW (to compete with Jesse Puljujarvi and Anton Slepyshev). If you don’t like these moves, we can chat. If you’re shocked by them? Where you been?

QUESTION

The question you have to ask yourself is this: Can Ryan Strome find success on a soft minutes scoring line (at center) or as RW alongside Connor McDavid? That’s the challenge here in my opinion. Strome is likely to be Leon Draisaitl’s mirror man (although both will probably be on the 1PP) and spend time where the big German center isn’t at any given time.

THE BEGINNING

• Kirk Luedeke: Average size, but grew a bit since last year, which helped him in terms of where he’s regarded amongst scouts. Excellent skater who can beat defenders with his speed or elusiveness. Very soft hands and superb puckhandler who uses his feet and creativity to be a going concern offensively. Just a dynamic scorer who isn’t quite in RNH’s class, but isn’t too far off, either.

I had Ryan Strome at No. 5 in the 2011 draft and he was a highly touted player entering the draft. Since he arrived in the NHL, Strome has posted one quality season (2014-15) and two that have been disappointing (the two seasons since). One of the things I like to look at with skill players is 5×5 scoring per 60.

RYAN STROME BOXCARS AND 5X5/60

Seems to me the first thing Todd McLellan is going to need to do is tell young Strome to shoot the puck like he did early in his career. He has a good one, heavy shot that can make goalies miss. Other than that, we’re dealing with a 2016-17 season that represents a recovery from his nadir and perhaps suggests he is heading in a better direction.

Peter Chiarelli spoke at his avail today about Strome as a center and also about having two centers on the same line. Strome’s strong side for faceoffs is weak side for Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, meaning Strome should be busy and that his career FO percentage (44.2) may improve with the strong side business (I don’t know he he was utilized in NYC).

STROME VERSUS EBERLE, LAST SEASON

You’ve seen this before, we are talking two 5×5 points added to Strome in order to make this level. Don’t be fooled, Eberle is the superior player, but this isn’t a terrible bet by Peter Chiarelli today. If he had cap room, would he have made this deal? My bet is no, he would not have made the deal. The money and cap saved is part of the deal, and ignoring it, or not valuing it, means missing important elements. Kris Russell and Spencer Foo await us! It’s already been a fun summer.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

If you’ve waded this far into the post you deserve my opinion. This was a net loss and the trade could have waited until next summer. It continues a trend of getting less than 100 cents on the dollar in feature trades that may eventually cost Peter Chiarelli his job as general manager of this organization.

I don’t see it happening any time soon. If both Jesse Puljujarvi and Tyler Benson turn out, and the club can grab one of Eeli Tolvanen, Kailer Yamamoto, Robert Thomas or Josh Norris, things should start coming together in terms of forward depth. Spencer Foo may arrive next week and he could be part of the future.

This trade was a net loss, but I do like the bet. Ryan Strome is a big center who has struggled in an organization famous for sabotaging their own youths. Strome is a lesser player, but not necessarily a lesser talent. Todd McLellan may unlock Strome and that’s the bet the club made. We Wait.

158 Responses to "INTRODUCING RYAN STROME"

1. reckless restraint says:

Chiarelli mentioned during the media availability that there are 4 players in the #22 range they are targeting. I’m worried that Matt Strome may have entered the minds of on lookers in that range. I wouldn’t be surprised of the club nabs a second rounder to grab him if he’s still on the board at #40 though.

2. stush18 says:

Well said LT. Measured as always.

I’m going to trust the scouts here, who made the calls on maroon, kassian, talbot, larsson, etc. These were all players we had serious doubts about.

Strome under weight was over 2.0 pts/60. His most common line mate was a 19 yr old rookie named beaulliver. I like the bet.

3. stush18 says:

reckless restraint:
    Chiarelli mentioned during the media availability that there are 4 players in the #22 range they are targeting.I’m worried that Matt Strome may have entered the minds of on lookers in that range. I wouldn’t be surprised of the club nabs a second rounder to grab him if he’s still on the board at #40 though.

Benning said today they would like to combine their 2 2nd round picks to move up into the first round. I believe those picks are valued at roughly where the oilers are sitting.

I wouldn’t mind trading down, because I’m not seeing a whole lot of clarity between ~15 and 34-40, especially at forward. This yr I would be happy with almost any combination of forwards.

4. leadfarmer says:

stush18,

Reclamation projects should cost less. I understand why the deal was made but once again Chia is on the losing end of a big trade. I hope both players take full advantage of the change of scenery.

5. stush18 says:

Also, I have really disliked capuano as a coach. I think he rode Tavares and his talent, and did nothing for the team, imo.

The yr before they traded Nino, he was playing ten min a night on the fourth line. They buried him, and plenty of other young talent has been buried along the way. They honestly bleed young talent as bad or worse than the oilers imo

I think strome is going to succeed here.

6. stush18 says:

leadfarmer:
    stush18,

Reclamation projects should cost less.I understand why the deal was made but once again Chia is on the losing end of a big trade. I hope both players take full advantage of the change of scenery.

Sure, but I don’t think this is a reclamation project exactly.

7. stush18 says:

leadfarmer,

If this trade was made because chiarelli wants russel on a 4×4 contract, then I’ll be upset.

But if because mcdavid being rumoured to be asking 14 a yr, then I think it’s good value for where he was sitting

8. Oil Fan 99 says:

With the Eberle trade and now the thought of signing Russell to contact with term is not improving the roster. With 3 d-men already signed to long term contacts and 2 d-men in Benning/Nurse considered to be part of the future, it leaves no room for them to improve the defence. It also leaves them with 4 lefties and 2 righties.

9. blainer says:

I am betting Strome takes Letestu’s place on the 1PP.

That alone will boost his numbers. He HAS to get better on the dot but if he and Connor can work to their strenths on the draws on the PP I think that helps.

I am OK with this move as long as he shows me more in the off season.

I see a Ryan or a Boyle signing coming as well for the faceoff’s and PK.

Hate to say it but Russell will be getting 4×4.. That decision could cost Chia his job in a couple of years.

Like Russell though for the first two years it’s the last two that will bite..

10. BlueNoteNorth says:

imo Chiarelli was wise to make the move this year rather than next when other GMs knew he had to move assests to free up cap.

It would have been a repeat of last year’s squeeze when everyone knew the Oilers needed a stud D.

Strome brings less offence but other useful attributes – more speed, more size, ability to play C.

Looking at the full package – including the cap savings – I am good with the trade

2 years on the job – 103 points

I am prepared to give Chiarelli the benefit of the doubt.

11. Johnny says:

LT, the talk of “trades like this costing Chia his job” is asinine.

This is a GM (just nominated for GM of the year) doing his job in a cap world. These are the trades Stan Bowman has been making for the last 5 years.

These are the deals that will allow us to win a cup.

12. Jaxon says:

Great intro to Strome. Luedeke’s scouting report makes me happy.

Initially, I too wanted Hamonic, but after looking into Strome a bit, this helped… and maybe this will set some minds at ease. Over the past 3 seasons, Strome and Eberle have scored at the exact same primarty points rate at even strength with 1.45 primary points / 60. Of players with 1000 minutes played, that puts them at 73rd and 75th. At $3.5M cheaper, and 3.5 years younger that sounds like pretty good value. 75th is exactly top half of the NHL’s 3rd best players on each team so that works just about right for a top liner.

His Hockey News profile describes him:
    “Has superlative offensive acumen and quickness. Can really make defenders look silly, thanks to a great dangle and offensive instincts. Can play either wing or center.”

“Quickness” is a nice word to see. Might be a great 3rd C (if Nuge ends up going for a 2RHD) or a top 6 RW. Another scouting report talked about his ability to make plays at top speed, which fits well with McDavid.

This trade may also increase the chance that Spencer Foo signs with the Oilers. Bonus.

I’m feeling better about the trade now.

13. Jaxon says:

That said, I have an impending sense of dread over the cap hit and term that Russell might get. Please, please, please be short term: 1 year would be great, 2 years max please.

14. leadfarmer says:

Johnny:
    LT, the talk of “trades like this costing Chia his job” is asinine.

These are the deals that will allow us to win a cup.

Only reason he got nominated is McDavid. Without him this team doesn’t make the playoffs

15. Ryan says:

I’ll go on record.

I like this bet, a lot.

16. Diablo says:

stush18: Sure, but I don’t think this is a reclamation project exactly.

So I’ve been watching clips of Strome online … first impressions … pretty good nose for the net, has the size and strength to get position on defenders and score greasy goals. Also pretty nice forehand with a quick release … but obviously needs to shoot a lot more. Doesn’t have breakaway speed, but is not slow either.

Biggest challenge for Tmac is to get him thinking shot first … he’s going to get a ton of open looks.

Biggest challenge for Strome is growing some peach fuzz on that baby face …. he’s going to give Nuge a run for his money for worst playoff beard next season.

17. HT Joe says:

leadfarmer:
    stush18,

Sure he was a 1-dimensional winger with 0 goals in the playoffs, but reclamation project? That’s a bit harsh… oh wait, you meant the other guy…

😉

18. Klima's_Bucket says:

Would you rather trade a 5th for Schlemko and his contract, or sign Russell 4years x 4M per?

19. New Improved Darkness says:

List of Edmonton Oilers records — 20 May 2017 permlink on Wikipedia

I count Eberle ten times in the “active leader” box.

His 20 shoot-out goals will keep him on the page for some while (tied for 1st with some soft, discarded Czech).

He’s also listed as the middle bedbug of Schultz, Yakupov, Eberle, Yakupov, and Smithson. Hey, Roberto, don’t let … However, that item could be erased in a rodeo minute by Connor, Drai, Klefbom, Connor, Strome.

We might not miss Eberle in the shoot-out as much as this list would seem to imply. A big part of his value for a time.

I just think this had to happen.

Man, grandpa Nuge.

20. Bag of Pucks says:

In that photo, he looks like someone cross pollinated Shawn Horcoff with a Sutter brother.

So yeah, he looks like a player.

21. BlueNoteNorth says:

leadfarmer: Only reason he got nominated is McDavid.Without him this team doesn’t make the playoffs

Fair enough.

But without Larsson, Talbot, Maroon, Benning, Kassien, and Russell this team doesn’t make the playoffs either.

22. Bag of Pucks says:

Ryan:
    I’ll go on record.

I like this bet, a lot.

I like it too, but I think a big part of that is me not rating Eberle that highly.

Chiarelli is betting on players that play a two way game with speed and edge. Me likey.

Klima’s_Bucket:

I’d sign Hainsey to a one year $5 million dollar deal, to bridge the gap to Benning and/or Nurse as legit top four.

24. Receptor Antagonist says:

Just watch, Strome will score 70 pts next season and this time next year we’ll all be bitching that moaning how we then have to pay him 6m/per.

😂😂😂😂

25. Professor Q says:

Bag of Pucks:

So yeah, he looks like a player.

Holy heck you’re right.

And for some reason he’s the most dashing of the Strome brothers.

26. jtblack says:

Jaxon,

WOW. The purge continues. IF RNH goes in the next 12 months, the old Mac T guard has been dispersed. I like RNH and hope he is here for this season for sure. On to the trade ….

LT: I like that you look at these deals objectively with a little opinion mixed in. I thought you nailed it bang on as far as the trade goes. Who is a “better” player. Eberle. Who is a better fit on this team over the next 4 years given cap hit, produtction, age, etc.; I think Strome (my opinion).

I like what PC is doing and has done. I understand the view that PC may not be getting 100 cents on the dollar; but a GM’s mandate is to construct a winning team; not win every trade. It’s like the fan base will quickly say that PC was gifted McD, so he should be winning today. PC also inherited an AHL level defense, no starting netminder and some terrible contracts. No GM can undo the past work of the last GM in 1 yr or 2. PC is still stuck with Fayne and Pouliot from the previous regime. Although you like those players, they don’t seem to be able to play the way TMac wants and they don’t seem to have any value on the open market. He’s stuck with them.

I think Larsson performed great last year. Whether people like it or not, Hall’s goals were replaced. I think you will see Eberle’s 20 replaced as well. This team is still very young and Strome is a perfect age for the McDavid Cluster. Regardless of what Ebs does; If Strome becomes a 20 G 50 point player, this is a clear win. If Strome struggles and is only a 30 point player going forward, it’s a loss; hands down.

The Oilers core are mostly young players that are going to get better this year and the next few. Players under 26 are: McD, Drai, RNH, Cagguila, Slep, Strome, Puljujarvi, Khaira, Kelfbom, Larsson, Benning, & Nurse. Super young and still in growth mode. PC has all his picks for the next 3 years (except this years 2nd rounder – due to signing him).

To me, that roster, age, depth is an INCREDIBLE roster going forward. Yes, there is still work to be done. But this team is 14 months removed from a 29th place finish.

I actually think they might regress slightly next year for the following reasons: 1) They won’t surprise anyone next year. They will face all the starting goalies and teams will be geared up for them for the first time in 10 years. 2) They won18 of their last 22 to inflate their point total to 103. The important thing is that they GET IN to the playoffs and then roll the dice.

LET’S GO OILERS !!!!

Those stats are very interesting. in regards to primary points.

27. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Johnny:
    LT, the talk of “trades like this costing Chia his job” is asinine.

These are the deals that will allow us to win a cup.

– Great post LT! Last year LT (and others) were on record that Chia could be fired soon if the Hall trade didn’t work out…

– This trade doesn’t move the needle like the Hall one did, nor is it as high risk

– If Ebs goes 23-34-57, and Strome 17-28-45 for instance: no big deal IMO, meh.

– Some of Strome/pool/Sheppy/Foo?/some guy: RW will be fine

– We will score more goals next year than this year: book it

28. Thinker says:

Just to be clear, two 40% FO guys make a 50% FO guy? Is there anywhere that breaks down draw sides to back up that analysis?

29. Thinker says:

Receptor Antagonist:
    Just watch,Strome will score 70 pts next season and this time next year we’ll all be bitching that moaning how we then have to pay him 6m/per.

Dylan Strome might. Ryan strome will be lucky to crack 35 for the second time in his career.

30. SkatinginSand says:

Thinker,

Thinker,

Ryan Strome had 50 points in 14/15.

31. jtblack says:

Thinker,

R Strome got 30 pts last year in 69 games. I will take the over on 35 points next year. What’s the bet?

32. Richard S.S. says:

Peter Chiarelli knows how much it will take to sign both Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl. He also knows the costs of trades that must be made. By moving Jordan Eberle now he clears Cap Space for two years, including the one he’ll really need. By getting a return as good as he got says he won this trade.

33. Richard S.S. says:

I’ll take the over on 45 points.

34. russ99 says:

This kind of happens with every good team, the new GM moves out the mistakes of the previous regimes and opens room to add his guys, that fit better with his core players and the coach’s philosophies,

I think we can certainly consider giving those big contracts to Hall, RNH and Eberle before they earned them a mistake.

We can also consider the Pouliot, Ference and Fayne signings a big mistake.

Chia has a lot to clean up, and as long as we keep improving and building towards a cup, he’s done a good job.

35. jtblack says:

I think the key to Strome’s year next year is if he gains the trust of TMac. Strome had 15 pts in the Isles last 24 gms (51 pt pace) …. If Strome gets 15 or 16 minutes a night AND some PP1 time; I think he throws up 45 – 55 points next year. And I am not hoping he explodes, or projecting he breaks out, I am just going off of his past stats and usage.

If he’s used as a spare part and plays 14 minutes and only gets a little bit of PP time, he might only get 30 points. But if he EARNS ice time and plays a regular shift and regular PP, his past stats would suggest over 82 games, he is likely to surpass 45 pts and be a quality addition.

36. theWaxCollector says:

I sure hope we play Drai with Mcdavid for the majority of the season. I’m worried if strome hits it off with Connor this year we’ll be looking at another Austin contract

37. BlueNoteNorth says:

A statement that Chiarelli made at his presser was interesting.

He mentioned that with the additional cap room he no longer felt threatened by an offer sheet. He stated that the Oilers could now handle anything that came their way.

He is looking at and addressing potential threats to the core.

Another good reason to make the move now instead of next year.

38. JDI says:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie

Belief is it’s likely to be four-year deal with AAV in general vicinity of $4M. Once Eberle traded/money freed up, talks picked up.

Well at least there’s no mention of a movement clause…

39. jtblack says:

BlueNoteNorth,

Good Point. As fans we tend to look at box cars and base our opinion on that. But there are many moving parts to assembling a team. You pointed one out that most wouldn’t consider. A GM has to try and win now AND look 2, 3 and 4 years down the road.

The bottom line is winning. PC had a winning team last year. They need to continue winning. I hope he keeps some powder dry for the trade deadline!

40. frjohnk says:

I wonder if the salary dump was partly to open the door for 1 of the top D Doughty, Karlsson, OEL,in case one of them (and there are a few others) hit UFA in the next couple years. EBERLE is the first to go, then Pouliot. Possibly Nuge.

That’s why signing Russell to a 4 year $4M deal would be a mistake.

If LA and Arizona are floundering when those Dmen hit free agency, We would need the cap room to get them.

41. Scungilli Slushy says:

It’s good to remember everything needs to be about maximizing Connor, Leon and Cam. Eberle could not play well enough with Connor given first chance, and didn’t support him with scoring.

It wasn’t off of one playoff run this decision was made. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. That actually sums up the Oilers pre Connor Oilers.

42. jtblack says:

JDI,

IMO Russell is not a great signing for 4 years due to his age and quality of play. But Russell is an NHL defenseman. I just don”t think that if he is in our Top 4, we can win a cup. I hope Nurse progresses and Russell is more #3 LHD. Russell’s value is that he can play LD or RD and he can play PK, shutdown. Is that worth $4mil per? I am not so sure … We have Klefbom and Larsson locked up at $4.1 Mil for 4 more years; TREMENDOUS VALUE. Russell at $4 mil. no so much

43. frjohnk says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Chia trading with Snow.
    THIS time chia will win the deal.

JDI:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie

Well at least there’s no mention of a movement clause…

45. JDI says:

Lowetide: We hope for the best.

Just like last year, these rumors have to be way off base.

Don’t they?

DON’T THEY?!

DON’T THEY??!

46. Centre of attention says:

I’m furious

that is all.

47. Ryan says:

Lowetide: The original rumor I read on twitter was four years, $18M. Four years is too long by two years, and $4.5M is too much by $1M. If it’s four years, and $4M? Still not a good contract and there’s every chance the final two years will be an albatross. We hope for the best.

This is what causes me to lose sleep at night.

If someone here has Chiarelli’s cell, please send it to me so I can talk some sense into him.

48. Centre of attention says:

Like, I want to type a massive wall of text filled with seething hatred, but I figured I best give it a few days.

We have all summer to scream about things. I’ll stew for a bit and make sure the rage at least comes out in a coherent manner.

Hows everyone else’s evening going?

49. frjohnk says:

50. JDI says:

Centre of attention: Hows everyone else’s evening going?

I’m the robot and Kirk is going to explain to me how Russell is going to make more $$$ than Larsson or Klef next season.

51. Snowman says:

Today really pissed me off.

I don’t understand how the Oilers are going to improve next year.

Goalie last year – Cam Talbot
    Goalie this year – Cam Talbot

D last year

Klef-Lars
    Sek-Rus
    Nurse-Ben

D this year
    Klef-Lar
    Sek-Rus (except for not the first half)
    Nur-Ben

Forwards last year
    19-97-29
    27-93-14
    67-55-44
    blah-blah-blah

Forwards this year
    19-97-29
    27-93-Ryan strome/spencer foo?
    36-55-44
    pou-blah-blah

Am I missing something or does this look worse?

I really don’t understand where any improvement comes? Last year we had minimal injuries and multiple players with career years. What are the odds of that two years in a row?

Pissed. Off.

52. Gret99zky says:

If Eberle continues his downward trend and doesn’t fit the bill in NYI, it’s only two years until he is UFA and we can discuss bringing him back on an affordable “show me” one year deal.

Once an Oiler…

53. Ryan says:

Does anyone have a link for the “Eberle play” that Lowetide so aptly described in this post?

54. jtblack says:

I too agree. Russell is just not worth that kind of money, but more importantly that kind of term.

Riddle me this. Although it seems the Russell signing is coming whether we like it or not; what would a better option be.

I think Ron Hainsey type on a 1 or 2 yr deal and a Cody Franson type on the same deal.

the injury to Sekera forces PC to find a “fill in”. But fast Forward to February and we have Kelfbom, Sekera and Nurse as 1,2,3 and that is a Strong Left Side. The right side needs a true solution and Russell is not that. He can play. But he is not a solution for a Stanley cup winning team

55. jtblack says:

Centre of attention,

Is this in regards to Ebs trade or the potential Russell signing? or both?
    I am totally good with the trade. not the signing.

56. Centre of attention says:

JDI,

Chiarelli has traded both Nail Yakupov and Jordan Eberle in order to make space to sign Kris Russel, in back to back summers.

*pours another drink*

Russels on-ice .938 save percentage is not going to last half of next season (nevermind 4 years), and when Sekera does come back there is no guarantee he’s going to be 100% able to carry Russel to respectability again. There is also a good chance that .938 regress’s back to something normal, hopefully not the .905~ he had before that though. Wooof.

I see the Nurse-Benning pairing passing Russel who willl play with Gryba (or whoever) on the third pair.

Can anyone here guarantee Nurse-Benning can handle that increased work load while also maintaining any semblance of competitive play? I didn’t think so.

Essentially, the D-core is worse by a significant margin. And there is hardly an argument to be made otherwise.

The top 9 lost some irreplaceable offense. By the sounds of it Strome will be playing a lot of 3rd line center (Both Bob and Chiarelli himself talked about him playing center extensively) so there is little chance he gets to explode on Draisaitl or McDavids wing like everyone’s dreaming of. Pretty much expect 15 goals in an average year, so we lost 10 goals in that trade and nobody seems to have a solid answer of where they are going to come from.

In summary, the Oilers are willingly signing a #5 D-man to a 4 year contract with an AAV possibly above 4 million. There is a good chance Russel is injury for most of this contract, he already played less than 70 games this year for the Oil.

An easy alternative would have been trading one of our 3rd round picks for Shlemko (would have beaten Montreal’s offer of a 5th).

We would also have saved 2 million on the cap if we did that instead of sign Russel. Shlemko has better on-ice numbers than Russel too, and is younger and less prone to injury due to style differences.

Demers is still available according to insiders. So is Hamonic, which is just cruel to think about because OF COURSE the Flames are connected to him now. Brodin is out there, Dumba has been discussed. All these D-men are making comparable money to what Russel is asking for, and all are much better bets than Kris himself.

Eberle might have not been enough but why not add to him them and get the deal done? This team should be trying to win the cup next year. Not pander to veteran “leaders in the room” who don’t move the needle.

Instead, our GM swallows the poison pill and we can can kiss our cup window goodbye. The infini-build continues uninterrupted. Poor Connor. He deserves so much better.

57. jtblack says:

frjohnk,

Is that “Beer Beer”. Pabst Blue Ribbon. Or Milwaukee’s Best.

58. Gret99zky says:

RE: McDavid’s potential $14M per year salary.

With a cap of $75M per team, the max any team can pay one player is 20%, or $15M per year.

So even $14M is a discount.

59. N64 says:

JDI: Once Eberle traded/money freed up, talks picked up

Ain’t that just grand. One more reason for 97 not to bother with discounting.

60. Rondo says:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

61. Centre of attention says:

Damnit. i said i was going to wait a few days before posting a wall of text.

That just kind of slipped out, I apologize.

62. Gordies Elbow says:

One thing to note: McDavid’s family is close with the Strome’s. Anyone remember Connor and Dylan Strome at the draft? (link – what’s up with the hands?)

Or, Dylan trying to get Connor to be the cover of NHL 17? Love the look…

This trade could have been called many months ago – needed to clear cap, team’s going away from valuing wingers over centres, want to build a core that plays for each other.

It’s not about having the most talented individual players.

Finally, it’s about the team.

63. Ryan says:

Centre of attention,

Yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

The signing of Russell to a 4×4 will ultimately prove to be an unmitigated disaster.

My fingers are crossed that it does not happen.

64. The Trade Guy says:

4 years of Russel will suck. I’d rather have Eberle then Strome and Russel.

McDavid at 14 million a year could suck too. He should at least shoot for a ring before getting paid like that.

65. Centre of attention says:

Ryan:
    Centre of attention,

Yes. Be afraid.Be very afraid.

My fingers are crossed that it does not happen.

I mean, who else is going to beat 4.5 million per year? Chiarelli will do what ever it takes to get his man signed.

66. TheFinn60 says:

stush18:
    Well said LT. Measured as always.

I could not agree more. Who ever they are they have done all the necessary and due diligence In analasying the mentioned players and I am sure they have done the same here.

Yes there is the cap aspect on this trade that might be the main reason but I will give it a few months into the season before there is any proof for one thing or the other.

Think LT said it all in the “intro” so let’s what comes out of The trade at the end.

I did not think they would trade Ebs if not through a deal with LV, I was wrong on that and as we do not all the money talks that is going on with Adria’s and McD’s camp. There is also the offer sheet aspect that played a role here.

Sure there is some more to come before Chia is done, not surprised if Nuge is next if he can’t of load Puliots contract in some sort of deal involving a pick.

67. N64 says:

The Trade Guy:
    4 years of Russel will suck. I’d rather have Eberle then Strome and Russel.

Does not matter whether or not we have confidence with Chia’s spending. But if the people around 97 see any discounts being wasted…

68. leadfarmer says:

Gret99zky:
    RE: McDavid’s potential $14M per year salary.

So even $14M is a discount.

I guess it depends on how much McDavid wants to play with 1 mil dollar wingers.

69. smellyglove says:

Fuck. Losing value in another trade. Do not like.

Just like when I heard Hall was traded for Larsson. I was like, “Hmm. OK, and what else? A first and a second round pick?” Nothing. Straight up. Player for player.

Same deal for Eberle. Poor choice.

70. jtblack says:

1) “The top 9 lost some irreplaceable offense”:
    2) ” expect 15 goals in an average year, so we lost 10 goals in that trade”

1) That;s what everyone said when Hall was traded, yet our top 2 LW got more goals than Hall. If you will accept the data, the goals were replaced.
    2) Eberle scored 20. If my math is correct, we lose 5 Goals by your projection

jtblack:

I too agree.Russell is just not worth that kind of money, but more importantly that kind of term.

Riddle me this.Although it seems the Russell signing is coming whether we like it or not; what would a better option be.

the injury to Sekera forces PC to find a “fill in”.But fast Forward to February and we have Kelfbom, Sekera and Nurse as 1,2,3 and that is a Strong Left Side.The right side needs a true solution and Russell is not that. He can play. But he is not a solution for a Stanley cup winning team

smellyglove:
    Fuck. Losing value in another trade. Do not like.

Same deal for Eberle. Poor choice.

Big cap saving too. That needs to be considered.

73. Chachi says:

Centre of attention:
    Damnit. i said i was going to wait a few days before posting a wall of text.

That just kind of slipped out, I apologize.

74. Zelepukin says:

I’m actually pretty happy about seeing Strome instead of Ebs, regardless of cap savings and I was an Ebs fan from the junior days.

The fact is his play has been decreasing dramatically and the last two years he has not come into camp looking improved. I really don’t care how many goals he has scored in the first half of his career anymore. The game is changing too fast and it’s become a scenario of, what have you done for me lately?

#MediocrityIsADifferentKindOfHell

Paying a third pairing D over $4 million dollars for eternity…

Non-core players should NOT get duration. (And we won’t even mention his age, which makes it worse). One should have a coaching staff able to coach up the youths and integrate free agents on short term deals to fill gaps in the roster.

76. jtblack says:

smellyglove,

” Losing value in another trade. Do not like”. As LT as mentioned in past posts, if we are going to crap on the coaches and GM’s when the team loses or struggles, should we not give them props when the team wins?

I am not saying the Eberle trade is good or bad. I have my opinions, but really the next year or two will give us the answer. So why be so down on the deal now? If the team continues to win, shouldn’t that be the mark? and if it’s not, then nothing will suffice.

77. Chachi says:

Rondo:
    Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie2m2 minutes ago
    MoreEvolving situation in ARI but upshot is Coyotes and head coach Dave Tippett apparently on verge of parting ways. Announcement expected soon.

Easy, I’m a supporter… wait, no I’m not, go away and never kill another game of hockey again Dave.

78. Scungilli Slushy says:

McDavid at 14M as an RFA would be by far the highest salary ever paid in the NHL, especially given a fairly static cap era, and that Crosby – who is at this point still the best overall player in the league – makes less.

It would be a very onerous contract, and would put an immense amount of pressure to perform on him, every shift.

For example, if he had a playoffs like this year on that contract, I can’t imagine the the fan response. I would want him traded, because two 7M players trump everyone but an absolute, never failing to score superstar. Pretty tough billing.

I hope he, his family and agent are smarter than that. His big payday will come, and he will also get ridiculous income outside of his salary. If it’s about the cash, or ego dictating you need the highest salary, it’s not on for me.

It’s about winning as many Stanleys as you can.

79. jtblack says:

Tippett is GONE! with 4 yrs left on contract.

Owner must have told Chadkya to speed things up. He’s traded Smith, released Doan and fired Tippett in a week

80. jake70 says:

Draisaitl’s contract is the one that worries me. They really need to get that one done sensibly.

81. JDI says:

Lowetide: That needs to be considered.

Right up until we find out where the money went. And we won’t need the Pentagon’s accounting system to find out.

82. N64 says:

Lowetide: Big cap saving too. That needs to be considered.

Kris says thanks for the consideration. APM

83. Centre of attention says:

Chachi: Who knew trading Eberle and signing Russell would close the Stanley Cup window forever. Oh well.

You honestly think this roster is going to compete for the cup?

The Oilers have a metric-shit ton of RFA’s to sign next year. Nuge will be gone for literally nothing at next year, because this is only the beginning of cap hell. Chiarelli just pissed away what savings he got from the Eberle contract on a #5 D-man. No help is coming in free agency, and the internal bets are all questionable.

Where is this cup contending team you think will magically appear? I’ve stated my case. lets hear your “its going to be OK” argument. I don’t WANT to hate the Oilers management. I defended him for longer than a lot of long time posters have. But this is getting ridiculous. So, please, humor me.

84. JDI says:

jtblack: He’s traded Smith, released Doan and fired Tippett in a week

Mama if that’s movin’ up then I’m…

Movin’ out.

N64: Kris says thanks for the consideration. APM

Meh. Russell made $3.1M a year ago, so you can cover off his increased salary with the Ference deal coming off the books.

86. JDI says:

Lowetide: Ference deal coming off the books.

87. Diablo says:

Centre of attention:
    JDI,

This is wishful thinking and totally ignores what happened at the expansion draft – note the price that NYI, Minnesota and Florida paid to keep their D-cores intact:
    – NYI gave up the 15th overall pick
    – Minnesota gave up their second best prospect and a very good 2-way centre
    – Florida gave up a 30 goal scorer AND a 26 year old 2 time 50 point scorer

To get one of Hamonic or Brodin/Dumba, those teams are going to ask for a high end prospect like Puljujarvi return, or RNH. Thats just too expensive.

I hate the idea of signing Russell to that much money and term as well, but lets examine the worst case scenario …..

– you play hard-ball with Russell and tell him that you’re not going to go past 3 million for 2 seasons. We already know there are several teams kicking the tires on Russell, so his agent can probably get a better deal than that, and he signs elsewhere.
    – next you go into free agency and go after Hainsey, Stone, Alzner, Franson, Kulikov, Smith. But now their agents know you are desperate to sign a D-man after letting Russell walk, so they all ask for big dollars and term. You balk at the price, and they decide to sign elsewhere with warmer weather, better nightlife or lower taxes
    – now you’re down to the likes of Streit, Wideman, Girardi, Del Zotto etc.

Conceivably you could go into next season with this as your top 6 D:

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Benning
    Del Zotto-Gryba

Ugly.

Now Russell at 4×4 is also ugly, no doubt about it. But the coach at least trusts Russell to play top 4 minutes for a team that got 103 points last year. That’s not nothing, and its a lot safer than shopping in the bargain bin and coming out with the likes of Wideman or Del Zotto.

My guess is they’ve decided that signing Russell to that deal is best of several bad options … we can fume about it but the reality is that D who can play in your top 4 were scare around the league before the expansion draft happened, and the famine has only gotten worse. Already in a poor negotiating position with Russell’s agent, things turn from bad to worse when Sekera gets his injury, and Rutta signs in Chi-town.

That coupled with the Oilers inability to draft and develop D under Tambo and MacT has led us to today. Those die were cast years ago. Until Bear and Jones are ready to play NHL minutes, we have to put up with Kris Russell for 4 x 4.

Last year Chia had the upper hand and got Russell for a relatively cheap price. This year Russell’s agent has the upper hand … these things happen in pro sports.

JDI: Although it was only on the books during the off season, but yeah. And it will probably only be a couple of years before Russell’s pubis starts acting up.

That’s the thing. Two years times $4M is the outer marker on a deal imo, and I actually spend a fair amount of time defending Russell.

89. jtblack says:

Centre of attention,

Chicken Little: The sky is falling! The sky is Falling!

90. russ99 says:

Lowetide: I’ve looked at other options and can suggest a few (have, as a matter of fact). Cody Franson is one I mention often (RHD) but people make funny noises and run away. I don’t object to the signing of Russell, which I think makes me a little unusual in the Oilers lexicon of observers. That said four years at that price is almost guaranteed to be a hindrance at some point.

I still think there’s more cap space out there to add another D, in mid free agency or in a cap cutting trade. If we could find a taker for Pouliot, that would also help.

We have $23M in space as of now, take 4 give or take a quarter million for Russell, 8 for Draisaitl, and 2 for Kassian, $5M for bonuses much of which offset by Sekera’s LTIR. Add a few $M for signing picks/prospects that leaves somewhere in the neighborhood of $3-6M for FA without dumping more space by trading a player. If we buy out Pouliot, add $2.667M more.

91. Professor Q says:

Imagine if none of this happens?

Wasn’t Chiarelli adamant that McDavid and Draisaitl are going to be the first signs?

92. Centre of attention says:

jtblack:
    Centre of attention,

Chicken Little: The sky is falling! The sky is Falling!

You’re being obtuse.

93. JDI says:

Professor Q,

McDavid can’t sign an extension until July 1.

94. N64 says:

Diablo:

Look at that upper hand again.
    1 thumb up for Chia. 4 fingers in the pie for Kris.

95. Centre of attention says:

russ99,

What if I told you Russel is suspect defensively? If that shocks you, where you been?

96. digger50 says:

Snowman,

Absolutely the right perspective.

Looking at Ebs for Strome + distracts from real issue. Team is supposed to get better, but Peter is playing his trump cards and running out.

The holes are still real, what is the plan?

I’m okay with Strome, he is a good add but for crying out loud it should have been a Eberle plus whatever it takes to gain a substantial defenceman.

97. N64 says:

jtblack:
    Centre of attention,

Chicken Little: The sky is falling! The sky is Falling!

The cap isn’t falling. That’s Chia rushing up towards it.

98. jtblack says:

Centre of attention,

Am I? then maybe I misunderstood your post.

“Edmonton is a shithole” – hmmmm
    “How can this team compete for a Cup” – They just finished Top 8 in the League
    “PC just pissed away the savings he got” – Russell made $3.1 last yr. So at $4 or $4.5 that doesn’t piss away the $3.5 he just gained .. unless my math is bad
    “I defended him longer than a lot of long time posters have” – PC has been GM for 2 yrs. Thank you for vigorously defending him for 12 months. 18 months?

99. Diablo says:

jtblack:
    Centre of attention,

Chicken Little: The sky is falling! The sky is Falling!

Now now, don’t make it personal.

COA is just peeved about this turn of events. Chia’s negotiating position with Russell’s agent completely disintegrated the moment Sekera blew out his knee. It sucks and I understand the frustration.

As long as they don’t give him an NMC, they should be able to move him out, if and when one of Bear/Jones is ready to step up, or even if we can sign a big name D in 1-2 years time.

100. N64 says:

russ99: Franson is a good puck mover but suspect defensively. If Sekera didn’t get hurt, we may have gotten by without bringing Russell back, but this GM and staff values defense, and justly doesn’t want to backslide defensively.

We have $23M in space as of now, take 4 give or take a quarter million for Russell, 8 for Draisaitl, and 2 for Kassian, $5M for bonuses, that leaves $4M for FA without dumping more space by trading a player. If we buy out Pouliot, add $2.667M more.

Spend much of that and 97 problems await.

101. smellyglove says:

Lowetide: Big cap saving too. That needs to be considered.

Yes, of course. If put to good use (ie: not Russell).

jtblack:
    smellyglove,

” Losing value in another trade. Do not like”.As LT as mentioned in past posts, if we are going to crap on the coaches and GM’s when the team loses or struggles, should we not give them props when the team wins?

I am not saying the Eberle trade is good or bad. I have my opinions, but really the next year or two will give us the answer.So why be so down on the deal now?If the team continues to win, shouldn’t that be the mark?and if it’s not, then nothing will suffice.

jtblack,

Sure. Winning solves everything. Chiarelli can lose value until the cows come home – as long as we’re winning. Truth is these bad moves catch up. Lost value, stupid cap decisions.

And in my opinion, the Oilers got lucky last year:

– Talbot, Draisaitl, Maroon, McDavid, Klefbom all had career years.
    – Minimal injuries.
    – Higher than average PDO.

We’re due for a bounce in the other direction next year.

102. Chachi says:

Centre of attention: Yeah wait until McDavid leaves this shit hole in 5 years, you will understand what I’m talking about.

You honestly think this roster is going to compete for the cup?

That is just my opinion, feel free to ignore it and continue to spray your verbal diarrhea all over this place like it is a gas station toilet bowl.

103. Dicky94 says:

Centre of attention,

Chia will make everyone happy by only signing Russell to a two year contract. The kicker being 8 mill per.

104. Professor Q says:

JDI:
    Professor Q,

McDavid can’t sign an extension until July 1.

Yeah. I know.

And Chia said he’s going to wait until then to sign him and Draisaitl first before anyone else.

105. Scungilli Slushy says:

Here’s a thought. Eberle was traded, and Nuge might be, and it comes down to the fact that they weren’t given bridge deals and have become unaffordable based on salary/production and what was expected to happen.

We see Draisaitl in the exact same position. Zoomed by McDavid, a hot playoff run on a contract year, I mean what could possibly go wrong? And McDavid, who is a generational talent for sure, but not rewriting the game like Gretzky, possibly getting a contract he can’t live up to.

If you want to learn the future ……….

106. Scungilli Slushy says:

Dicky94:
    Centre of attention,

He did get 13 points, his lowest total in three years, so he has that going for him. No reason he shouldn’t make more than a bunch of guys that can score and play 2 pair defense. No reason.

107. jtblack says:

smellyglove,

“– Talbot, Draisaitl, Maroon, McDavid, Klefbom all had career years.
    – Minimal injuries.
    – Higher than average PDO.”

Young Good players on the upswing generally do have career years. We should discuss all the players who did not have career years, Lucic RNH Ebs … Some guys go up, some go down. Will change year in and year out.
    – Injury wise I agree with 100%. The year prior Edm lost McD, Klefbom and RNH for 1/2 season each. We did have great luck that no key players were injured last year. We start next year with a major injury (sekera); and if another Core player goes down we may not make it. IE: Tampa
    – There PDO was inline with a good team. It’s a strange stat for another day. Better teams have a better PDO. It’s that simle. Sometimes there are outliers (Flames 2015), but generally the good teams have a solid PDO and the crappy one have a lower one. If you ice an AHL lineup your PDO will be low because the players aren’t good and goaltending is weak. But in general good teams have an above average PDO

108. Diablo says:

I don’t have a problem with signing Franson.

For me the issue is … can you guarantee that Franson will sign here? For reasonable money?

The UFA market for D is just barren this year, and at the worst possible time, as 14 teams just lost a D-man. The agents have the GMs by the short hairs this summer.

If you’re the Sabres and you’ve been sucking forever, then maybe you’re OK with letting Franson walk … how much more rock bottom can you get?

But if you’re the Oilers, and you’ve been sucking forever until last year when you finally crawled out of the sewers and into the penthouse, you become much more risk averse to losing a player like Russell who, like it or not, is trusted by our coaching staff to play top 4 minutes.

109. JDI says:

Professor Q,

They might be signed and waiting to announce. That would satisfy Chia’s stated priorities. Revealing the contracts to us muggles doesn’t factor.

110. Centre of attention says:

Diablo,

I think you could have found a better D-man than Russel who makes less. Schlemko went for a 5th round pick, and every number I look at tells me he is a better d-man than Russel.

Bob Stauffer, who can be a bit of a homer at times, called Russel a #5 D-man on the radio today. He carries water for the team a lot but even he can see that Russel simply isn’t worth that money.

jtblack:
    Centre of attention,

Am I?then maybe I misunderstood your post.

“Edmonton is a shithole” – hmmmm
    “How can this team compete for a Cup” – They just finished Top 8 in the League

1: The Oilers have been the shit hole of the NHL for quite some time. Are you new? If not even Kris Freaking Russel will take a discount to play with Connor, do you think an actual impact defenseman wants to play here?

2:This roster is worse as it stands than last years, and they didn’t even make the conference final. The second round is not even close to a cup.

3:After adding Russel at 4.5 with Connor coming in at above 12 million, they will not have enough room to add anything else, so yes, he pissed away 3.5 million on a #5 D-man.

4: At least I’m entertaining you with responses, most of the other posters who disagree with the direction of the team figured its best to stop wasting their time arguing with other posters like yourself. Why do I bother? I can’t even answer that question. Maybe its because I think you will understand if I explain it well enough. Hopefully we can still get along with each other even if we disagree.

Seriously, no hard feelings to anyone here who disagrees with what I’m posting. I don’t want us to get at each others throats and make it all personal just because we disagree passionately on a signing or a trade.

As an aside, I’m not even that mad about the Eberle for Strome trade. Strome intrigues me, and maybe he’s not so bad after all moving forwards. But even if he ends up having a great year, you still have to pay the guy after this season.

111. Diablo says:

Centre of attention:
    Diablo,

That’s not going to happen unless Connor sets the precedent and takes a discount. If the Oilers can’t convince his camp, that signing for Crosby money will allow you to actually compete with Crosby for Cups, then it will be business as usual in Oilerland and much of what you are concerned about will probably come to pass.

We wait…..

112. jtblack says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Could it be, that after a decade of Darkness, we as fans are not used to good players. We have seen Hall do well. Ebs do OK and RNH do OK. Yak did not fair well.

Draisatl has got better every year. Do you see signs in his game that leads one to believe he won’t be a cornerstone of this team? I see a player who is young, excellent and trending up. It’s not his fault he finished Top 10 in scoring and had an awesome playoff performance.

As for McD; do you expect him to get 200 points? He IS a generational talent and is one of 3 players in Leauge history to win the Art Ross at 20 (Gretz & Croz). So what would he have to do to win your approval for a monster contract?

113. dustrock says:

Centre of attention,

I was going to post but you covered my thoughts on Strome and Russell very well. The Strome trade has been foretold as of old. I don’t like it but I’ll give Strome a chance and I don’t trust the Islanders.

The rumoured Russell signing is just insane to me, like actually a worse deal than Lucic’s, which I didn’t think possible. When even guys like Stauffer and Staples are saying “why 4 years?” It just boggles the mind.

The other interesting note we didn’t really cover is Dreger saying there were 3-4 other deals for Eberle.

Were they worse than Strome? Wrong position? Wrong cap hit or term? I’m intrigued.

114. Diablo says:

JDI:
    Professor Q,

Agree …. they will want to have a presser around July 1 after the UFA frenzy has died down and announce both deals together. They can’t officially do so until then.

115. Centre of attention says:

Chachi: I honestly don’t know what is going to happen. Did I like the trade? Nope. Could it work out ok? Yes. Do I like the Russell signing? Nope, not at any money, but the team seems to value what he brings so I am going to have to accept he will be on the team for awhile. Do I think the Oilers will never compete for a cup because of 2 moves? No. A team with McDavid and Talbot and Draisaitl and Klefbom and Larsson and RNH will be competitive for a long time because those are players who have proven to be very very good collectively. I still think Puljujarvi is going to be a player, I think Caggiula will contribute more offense so I think added to whatever Strome brings they will be alright. I don’t know if you were referring to Edmonton or the Oilers as a “shit hole”, but either way I think you are way out of line and you need to grow up a little.

Yeah I didn’t really want to go with the diarrhea method and I actually broke my own promise and did it anyways.

I apologize. My post was rather blunt. I’ve had a drink and was feeling pretty spicy at the moment.

I guess I just want them to strive for the best, not go with what they feel is comfortable.

I know we still have McDavid and Klefbom and Talbot and Nuge. I love them all to death and will continue to cheer for this team. Heck, I hope Slepyshev takes this opportunity and rips in 20 goals next year.

As passionately negative as you see me now, if this team somehow finds success, I will be here to insert my foot fully in my mouth. Seriously. They win the cup? You can tie me to the goal posts like Milhouse and practice your slap shots on me, while I don’t wear equipment.

I want to love this time so badly. It’s just hard right now. Give it time.

116. Wild Bill Hunter says:

You call this a net loss but that is of course based entirely on past results. No G.M. has ever lost his job based on that. Chiarelli is obviously projecting Strome to be more successful in the Oiler’s system and I think there are elements to his game which bode well in that regard. First off he is a player who is not shy about driving into the slot and the 15-20 pounds and 3 inches he has over Eberle are a net plus. Secondly he has a heavy shot and I am guessing he can learn to one time a shot whereas Ebs seemed incapable of doing that (therefore Letestu was the guy in the Ovechkin spot on the pp)

I am betting that Strome shows a significant level of improvement next season and plays often on McDavid’s right side. That is a position which requires a player with some speed to drive the net keep his stick on the ice and be ready to one time the pass that is coming. Strome is that guy and I think McDavid could very well bring out the best in him.

At this time next year you won’t be worried about a net loss trade you will be worried about how much and how long Strome’s next contract will be.

117. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

frjohnk: I wouldn’t mind Russell back but if it’s 4 years $4M I’m going to Cassandras van by the river to share a case of the shittiest beer ever made.

– This is an all world comment! Can I come, and invite DSF, and bring a 24 of piss warm 50?

118. LMHF#1 says:

Snowman:
    Today really pissed me off.

Am I missing something or does this look worse?

Pissed. Off.

Yup. Lining up to be a worse roster with several players due for regression/injury.

If this plays out the way it’s looking – it’s embarrassingly bad. Everything since the deadline has been brutal from management.

Hope this Russell stuff is driving up the price for others but severely doubt it.

119. Centre of attention says:

Lets be honest.

After watching McDavid rip down the ice and go bar down on opening night, I won’t be thinking about Russels contract or whether or not Strome will pan out or if Puljujarvi is going to make it.

McDavid will make everything better. “Everything in its right place.” or so our host says.

120. Scungilli Slushy says:

Centre of attention: Like, I thought people were supposed to be taking discounts in order to play with Connor, what happened to that?

This is a great point. The Oilers are closer to the Cup than most teams, and the league knows it. The Russell thing bugs me because he has no offense at this point and that is what gets paid, AND, you get to play with Connor Freakin McDavid.

IF it happens like that, unless there are no restrictions, or a very open movement clause such as 10 no trade teams or the like, it will put me on watch again. I’m so tired of bad or poorly though out Oiler contracts – foot shooting. The Oilers didn’t seemingly win the Stanley Cup on Russell’s back, there isn’t even that angle.

It would be a jackass overreaction to Sekera for a long overly expensive keeper contract.

121. Cassandra says:

This notion that you can just replace goals is an interesting one, and that if the Oilers don’t lose any goals that therefore this trade (or any trade) didn’t hurt, because it allows any move to be justified after the fact by shifting the goal posts.

The Oilers have McDavid. The goals isn’t to be the 8th best team in the league. The goal is to be the best team in the league.

Last year the Oilers scored 247 and allowed 212. The best goal differential in the conference last year was Minnesota with 266 and 208. So unless you are settling for mediocrity, the goal isn’t to “replace” last year’s offense, we need to add 19 goals and give up 4 fewer.

Now projecting Strome is hard, because the year three years ago is such an outlier. But a basic principle of projections is that the most recent year is more predictive than the ones further away. We all know this. It is why no one expects Eberle to be a pt a game player. But even if you go three years back Strome isn’t going to quite replace Eberle’s offense given the same opportunity.

So let’s say the difference is five goals. That doesn’t sound like a lot, and it could easily be made up somewhere else, but if it is made up somewhere else you haven’t “replaced” those five goals, you found a different five goals somewhere else, and in any event the goal isn’t to stay the same, the goal is to improve by 19 goals, which is now 5 goals harder than it was yesterday.

Putting it this way shows that 5 marginal goals is in fact quite a lot. The first 200 goals are easy. Arizona scored 197 last year. It is the last 60 that are hard to find. So if Bag of Pucks’ prediction is correct, and Eberle gets 55 points and Strome gets 47, that is actually a pretty big difference.

Finally, if Strome takes Letestu’s spot on the powerplay, he will easily “replace” Eberle’s offense, but that will be a function of opportunity, and hence Eberle’s offense has still not been replaced.

But the big picture here is standards of praise and blame. Assessing individual moves based on how the team does compares performance to the wrong counterfactual. If Strome plays ok, and McDavid goes supernova, and the team scores 270 goals, that doesn’t make this a good trade.

We know this to be true because if the opposite were to happen, if Strome were to play great and score 30 goals, but something else falls apart and the team struggles, no one would say this was a bad trade.

122. Centre of attention says:

Would anyone here give up a prospect and a pick for Methot? 1 year left at 4.1 million. Would be a decent stop gap while Sekera heals. IMO that’s a decent alternative to giving Russel term, which is the real sticking point.

123. Scungilli Slushy says:

JDI: The wording on Tippett was ‘mutually parted ways’. I mean, I’d be pissed too if the GM sent my first-line elbower away.

Mama if that’s movin’ up then I’m…

Movin’ out.

Chayka seems like a persuasive guy. We’ll see what he makes of the team. On a young team, Doan on the right contract in a support role is probably a good idea – mentorship.

I expect Chayka, despite his extensive hockey knowledge with all of that experience, to end up learning stats are only part of the picture. And dogging the dogs.

124. --hudson-- says:

Centre of attention,

I hope this makes you feel better:

– Anaheim traded Kyle Palmieri for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Since then he’s scored more than Eberle.
    – Anaheim traded Maroon for a 4th rounder. You know the outcome of this one.
    – Anaheim has paid Kevin Bieksa over $4 million the last 2 seasons
    – Anaheim traded Shea Theodore to Vegas to protect Sami Vatanen.
    – Anaheim traded good assets for Carl Hagelin, flipped him for David Perron & Adam Clendening, then let the latter two walk.

Pick any team in our division and you’ll have no trouble finding a series of bad movies.

I’m steamed as well, every trade is a new piece of evidence behind a process that doesn’t match the way I would like to see the team put together. It’s frustrating!

One of the good things about McDavid is he’s going to hold the Oilers management to a higher standard. It may not even be explicit, but the pressure is on to push towards a championship.

125. jtblack says:

Centre of attention,

Nothing personal .. and know I am not a new Oilers fan. Like you, I love the team and hope the best. never personal. I was just rebutting some of your posts. It seems like you have softened on a few now!

I just remember seeing similiar posts after the hall trade. “We will never win. What a mistake. PC sucks” … and that’s fine, its all opinion.

My opinion is simply that by moving players from the past, that doesn’t automatically make the team worse. I don’t think Edm is a shit hole. I think it’s actually a coveted destination for players now.

Either way, no hard feelings. I hope this team succeeds again next year.

126. frjohnk says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – This is an all world comment!Can I come, and invite DSF, and bring a 24 of piss warm 50?

Bring some Clamato and eggs for red eyes in the morning

127. jtblack says:

–hudson–,

I will also add to your post. No team has won the cup without a 1st or 2nd overall pick since Detroit in 2008. It’s not PC’s fault Connor has come here. McD greatly increases PC’s chances of success; but that is true for every GM. Sather had some OK players, it doesn’t mean the 80’s Oilers won despite their GM. It take Great players, good coaching and a quality GM for any team to win.

Now PC hasn’t won anything yet, so the jury is out. But I think he should be given fair time to achieve a Cup Win. If we are 3 years down the road and this team has not been to a Cup final or won the Stanley Cup, then I think the criticism is fair. But to date, all PC has done is take a 29th place team to a contending team. how much credit he deserves is a matter of opinion. But the past regime and many others in the League have proved that having an Amazing player does not equal success without adding quality supporting players, coaching, developement and organizational drive. Everyone applauds Snow for his trades with the Oilers. He got Tavares in 2009 and the Isles have won 1 playoff round in 9 years.

128. Cassandra says:

–hudson–,

This is a good point. Most teams make bad moves. Indeed, out of curiosity I went to the main Islander blog to see the reaction. It turns out there is a strong dislike of Snow and the moves he makes, except for when he deals with Chiarelli, then they love him.

Most teams make bad moves. Some of these teams succeed in spite of themselves. Anaheim’s list of moves is amusing.

Ottawa made an awful trade dealing Zibanajad for Brassard and then made the Eastern finals. Doesn’t make it not an awful trade.

129. prairieschooner says:

This seems like a good bit of business by PC
    Interesting that the GM mentioned now being able to rebuff any offer sheet s that may come in, so clearly he is looking at the big picture
    This was a chance to save some cap space and we get a player who may just need a reset I am sure if he ultimately gives Paddy Maroon type numbers we will be happy enough
    Managers are constricted in their negotiations because they have to take the BDA Best Deal Available

130. Centre of attention says:

–hudson–,

Anaheim being dumb doesn’t excuse the Oilers being dumb.

Why stoop to their level?

Why can’t we be the best, damnit?

🙂

131. jtblack says:

Cassandra,

” “Just win Baby” is a formula for not understanding what leads to winning.”

Cassandra. What is your formula for winning, if it’s not winning?

“but if it is made up somewhere else you haven’t “replaced” those five goals, ” – So if you replace the goals, you still haven’t replaced them?

132. Scungilli Slushy says:

Cassandra:

The Oilers have McDavid.The goals isn’t to be the 8th best team in the league.The goal is to be the best team in the league.

Now projecting Strome is hard, because the year three years ago is such an outlier.But a basic principle of projections is that the most recent year is more predictive than the ones further away.We all know this.It is why no one expects Eberle to be a pt a game player.But even if you go three years back Strome isn’t going to quite replace Eberle’s offense given the same opportunity.

So let’s say the difference is five goals.That doesn’t sound like a lot, and it could easily be made up somewhere else, but if it is made up somewhere else you haven’t “replaced” those five goals, you found a different five goals somewhere else, and in any event the goal isn’t to stay the same, the goal is to improve by 19 goals, which is now 5 goals harder than it was yesterday.

Putting it this way shows that 5 marginal goals is in fact quite a lot.The first 200 goals are easy.Arizona scored 197 last year.It is the last 60 that are hard to find.So if Bag of Pucks’ prediction is correct, and Eberle gets 55 points and Strome gets 47, that is actually a pretty big difference.

But the big picture here is standards of praise and blame.Assessing individual moves based on how the team does compares performance to the wrong counterfactual.If Strome plays ok, and McDavid goes supernova, and the team scores 270 goals, that doesn’t make this a good trade.

Evaluating general manager moves based on how the team does is going to lead you to mistaken conclusions.“Just win Baby” is a formula for not understanding what leads to winning.

I get your points, but they need a lot more qualifications. What if Strome scores 15 points less than Eberle, but other players combine for an extra 30 points because Eberle has been replaced by a player who can do more to help?

This is what getting better players does. I’m not saying Strome is necessarily that player, but the point is valid.

133. Scungilli Slushy says:

Cassandra: My expectations are higher than that, but I would settle for once, just once, Chiarelli doing something clever.

I think he does clever things, but if he overpays and overterms Russell which makes no sense on any level and actually blocks soon to be ready more talented players, the question will become whether or not he’s Clousea’ing his way through his career.

134. barmstrong says:

Cassandra,

Further to what JTBlack and Slushy ask, what criteria would you use to judge this as a good trade? For example, if Strome pots 22 goals and 48 points playing 3rd line C/2nd line RW and 2PP unit, is that a win for PC? Does it have to 60 points? If he plays with McD, does he have to get 75 points? Give us your criteria please.

135. Centre of attention says:

barmstrong,

It would be a win if Chiarelli uses the cap space for something other than blowing his brains out with Russels retirement contract, for starters.

If Strome scores 20 next year I’ll eat my shoe.

136. jtblack says:

barmstrong,

“Give us your criteria please” … What I have seen, is that there is no realistic criteria. Once the mind is made up; it’s virtually impossible to change. The Hall trade made up a few minds, and no matter what the results, the mind is made up. Win 1 Cup? We would have won 2. Do this? We would have done that.

The fact is, the criteria is usually set at an unrealistic bar, so that there is a 1% chance of hitting the criteria, thus proving the opinion of said person and discounting the work of the GM / team.

But maybe Cass will give us a criteria. After the Hall trade, the Oilers blew away all of the criteria that was set. But as Cass says, if the criteria is surpassed the credit goes to McD, nobody else.

137. Munny says:

jtblack,

The naysayers have already created the perfect setup for themselves. “Oilers will be good anyways, win Cups anyways, because McDavid. If there’s one thing we’ve learned from the Hall trade, 97 will make the Oilers good regardless.” There’s no possible way out for Chia.

138. --hudson-- says:

Centre of attention:
    –hudson–,

Anaheim being dumb doesn’t excuse the Oilers being dumb.

Why stoop to their level?

Why can’t we be the best, damnit?

Who knows?! Yzerman’s contract is up in one year, maybe Steve Tambellini can lobby Nicholson to give them jobs in Edmonton. 😉

Sometimes with Chiarelli I am reminded of the business world where an interim CEO will come in to clean house on a bad management group, before they hire the new CEO to take the new direction. The analogy doesn’t quite fit because of McDavid and the Oilers haven’t exactly cleaned house. Also at some point I thought Tambo was that guy, and he really did clean house, especially the training staff.

When the Oilers were winning, I loved having Sather around. He was shrewd and seemed to win every trade. By the late 90s he made a bunch of bad moves (trading Satan, waiving Ray Whitney, letting David Vyborny walk, and the drafting was gawd awful). Since then in NYR he’s made a bunch of good deals, but their fans grew tired of him as well at times.

139. --hudson-- says:

barmstrong: The goal is to be the best team in the league.

I think he did:
    “The goal is to be the best team in the league.
    Last year the Oilers scored 247 and allowed 212.The best goal differential in the conference last year was Minnesota with 266 and 208.So unless you are settling for mediocrity, the goal isn’t to “replace” last year’s offense, we need to add 19 goals and give up 4 fewer.”

The Oilers getting the best goal differential in the league, plus a few qualifiers on how they get there. I think it’s a good idea to focus on the overall team production and not necessarily the individuals, in case in a years time Strome has the same number of goals as Eberle this year, but he got them by taking away Letestu’s spot on the pp. By that lens the trade looks good, but overall the team is not any better off.

140. jtblack says:

–hudson–,

“Also at some point I thought Tambo was that guy, and he really did clean house, especially the training staff” – Did he clean house on the ice or just the training staff?

All GM’s make mistakes. Some more than others. and maybe PC will fall into the category of bad GM in Edm. But he’s only been here 2 yrs. All GM’s deserve at minimum of 5 – 8 yrs. David Poile just won GM of the year (for whatever that is worth) and he had not been to a Cup final in 35 years. I would suggest that if Edm misses the playoffs at any point in the next 3 years, PC’s job will be on the line. The flip side is, if Edm makes the playoffs every year and makes a Cup final or wins the cup, he probably buys himself another 5 years.

141. jtblack says:

–hudson–,

I think you raise two good points. One is that it’s hard to directly grade any trade because player usage and others factors will impact both players box cars when they move to the new team. But to apply to same lens to the trade, Ebs is going to play on Johnny T’s wing all season and be on PP1 in New York. So if Ebs scores 30 would you say that’s not necessarily a win for New York?

Secondly. All teams are are fluid, with players moving in and out and getting more and less opportunity all the time. Letestu is 32. Somebody is going to replace him at some point. If it happens to be a player that produce’s more in that spot, that is good coaching, gm’ing, development. Letestu is bound to be replaced sooner rather than later. Hopefully, it’s with a player that replaces his production + more.

cheers,

142. Pescador says:

Cassandra,

Sure,
    But what kinda beer you got in that van right now?
    Inquiring minds would like to know

143. --hudson-- says:

jtblack,

Great counterpoints! I agree if Eberle lights it up, it won’t be fair to say it was outright a great trade for NYI because he wasn’t going to get that opportunity here. And very true on Letestus age – he’s unlikely to repeat his season.

144. YKOil says:

Find myself agreeing with CoA right now.

First: Buffalo traded a 3rd to get a d-man from Montreal, and we traded BD for ‘meh’, so the idea that we have to pay through the nose for decent players is just plain silly.

Second: PC leaks asset value and good luck (healthy year, Benning being as good as he was, etc) can only cover those sorts of losses for so long before it starts to come back to bite you

Third: the trade for Strome puts all risk on the Oilers – if he does poorly we have wasted a great asset and if he does well he is an RFA coming off a good year and will want to get paid

Fourth: PC has given out one horrible contract (Lucic) and is about to, by all accounts, give out another (Russell) – in 2019-20, Oilers will have 12.5% of the Cap ($80 mill Cap?) in two, bad, players

Fifth: Eberle was a good asset and he was traded like he was a poor one – if PC can’t get fair value on good assets how many 1st round picks will need to be added to Lucic to move him?

Sixth: the playing with McDavid discount… where? Moreover, if Toronto gets Nylander, Marner and Matthews signed to decent contracts no one will be saying Edmonton’s future is better than TO’s

Seventh: that said… why is no one really worried about what TO will pay those three? I don’t think McDavid will get $14 million but why is that number even plausible ‘here’?

Eighth: what was so wrong about going another year? Trade Eberle at a discount now rather than next year only locks in the fact you are trading him ‘now’ and locking in the discount.

Aggressiveness and decisiveness are two character traits that can hold a lot of value, and PC has those in spades, but the moment a GM:

– commits to marginal (or even declining) players as ‘my guys’; or
    – puts themself in a position where they ‘have-to-do-something (real or imagined)

then that GM starts to get their team get into trouble. PC does those two things A LOT and he lacks the guile of Lamoriello, or the deft touch of Yzerman/Bowman needed to mitigate that damage.

If Russell is coming in at 4×4.5 this will not end well. The Eberle trade was not a good trade.

145. Munny says:

Been scouring the free agent list for alternatives to Russell.

Basically Chia’s choices for the starboard side are Russell, Franson and Stone.

Remains to be seen if Stone makes it to July 1 unsigned. If he does he will likely get same term and more money than Russell and is no sure thing. Franson is less likely to be re-signed but comes with lead feet. And Russell.

Or pay a huge price of two 1sts for Hamonic who had a down year, when you can sign a guy for just money and maybe unload him later for a pick.

Really tough call for Chia and with 97 on the team you want to be more risk averse. Hopefully he can negotiate a better deal than reported or backdive it attractively. GMs are often forced into messes. The good ones find their way out of them down the road when they have to. I might have to judge this signing on what happens when the time comes to part ways.

If Dmen continue to be valued so highly, likely won’t be a problem, but you never know.

146. haters says:

Just in case any of you forgot.
    Eberle had 2 assists in 13 playoff games and was -6

………..

Even the stay at home D man Larsson had 2 goals and 3 assists comparatively.

…….

Russell had 4 assists and played like a man against the best opposition.

I’m shocked and quite pleased we got much of anything for such a poor player.
    If the coach had sat Ebs after game 3 of the Anaheim series and played Kharia in his place I’m convinced we would have made it pas the ducks.

Good riddance
    I would be ok with Russell at 4.5 x 3 years
    I was not ok with watching Ebs do basically nothing for another year at 6 tyvm

147. The Trade Guy says:

Sucks that the Oilers got out from under the Ference contract only to go an sign another one.

Munny:
    Been scouring the free agent list for alternatives to Russell.

Basically Chia’s choices for the starboard side are Russell, Franson and Stone.

Hainsey was playing the right side for Pittsburgh, and the tough minutes, on a Stanley Cup winner. One should be able to get him on a one year deal. And then on another. Till the gap to Nurse and Benning is bridged.

Better overall mobility. Better passer.

149. FUHR31 says:

Centre of attention,

This would be a decent play

150. FUHR31 says:

Picks for Methot, Trade Nuge for Barrie or Faulk, sign Hanzal. oh and sign Jagr just cause lol

FUHR31:

All Canadian teams (Ottawa aside) are on his no-trade list per Darren Dreger.

For the record.

I can tolerate the Eberle for Strome trade. Eberle was gone sooner or later because of the cap.

I am opposed to signing Russell for anything longer than one season, just like last September. One season at a time is fine.

Belichek got a tight end for cheap in Martellus Bennett with one year left on his contract. Helped the Patriots win a Super Bowl (even after Gronk got a season ending injury). He let Green Bay offer him a big money long term contract. Belichek when out and got another tight end for cheap with one year left on his contract in Damon Allen from the Colts.

A coach has to be able to coach up short term stop gap solutions for holes in the roster, rather than signing stop gaps for the long term.

153. russ99 says:

I think we have to consider that Chia is in a bit of a corner as to assets he can move due to the threadbare pipeline we have when it comes to forwards.

We really can’t grease the trade wheels with a pick or two until this is resolved.

154. krakman says:

russ99,

This is true but its Chia’s own doing, trading picks for Reinhart and not getting any picks in return when trading Hall and Eberle

155. russ99 says:

krakman:
    russ99,

Yeah. The Reinhart deal looks pretty awful now, in retrospect. I still think Chia got bamboozled by Lowe, MacTavish and Green on that one, but he’s the President and GM during that trade so he has to take the hit.

I think Chia had somewhat of a choice between cap savings and picks when shopping those players and chose cap savings.

156. Chachi says:

Cassandra: Evaluating general manager moves based on how the team does is going to lead you to mistaken conclusions. “Just win Baby” is a formula for not understanding what leads to winning.

I prefer to evaluate GMs based on what they wear to press conferences after a trade and whether they understand that Griffin Reinhart is eligible to be taken in the Expansion Draft.

157. GCW_69 says:

Johnny:
    LT, the talk of “trades like this costing Chia his job” is asinine.

These are the deals that will allow us to win a cup.

Stan Bowman would not sign Kris Russell to a four year deal, or give him trade restrictions. That’s for core players only (even of you disagree on their evaluation of core). The only non core player he has with a trade restriction is Kruger and Bowman is regretting it, I’ll bet.

His number four defenders get turned over pretty regularly.

158. matt says:

Ahem. LT, I think you meant “It continues a trend of getting less than 100 cents on the dollar in feature trades that may eventually cost Peter Chiarelli his job as general manager of *another* organization.”