SAIL ON, REGINA PATRICIA

Honestly, I thought he’d be the one to stay. Jordan Eberle can score goals and that has high value. Everything changed the moment Connor McDavid arrived and more than anything the salary cap forced this trade. We can argue about the timing (could have happened at any time over the next 12 months) but one of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Jordan Eberle (and maybe both) were heading out of Edmonton.

OILERS ALL-TIME GOAL SCORERS

1. Wayne Gretzky (583)
  2. Jari Kurri (474)
  3. Glenn Anderson (417)
  4. Mark Messier (392)
  5. Ryan Smyth (296)
  6. Paul Coffey (209)
  7. Craig Simpson (185)
  8. Esa Tikkanen (178)
  9. Jordan Eberle (165)
  10. Shawn Horcoff (162)

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is the current active leader in goals (95). Bob McKenzie had him No. 33 overall in 2008:

• Bob McKenzie: A somewhat under-sized centre, Eberle is considered one of the smartest offensive players in the draft. He is a better goal-scorer than a playmaker and is an elusive talent when he has the puck. There are some questions about his speed, but he does have quickness, especially in tight situations and one-on-ones.

I wrote about Eberle in August of 2009, using the question-answer format. He was a year away from becoming an NHL player and I think it stands up as a good description of what we were about to see.

• How did they get him? 1st rd pick in 2008, a selection that looks very good at this point in time. Although forwards taken right after him (Nemisz, Ennis) are progressing well Eberle had a solid junior season, became a national calibre hero at the WJ`s and then topped it off with a splendid AHL stint.
  • What is his style? Offensive winger, shooter and a good puck handler and passer. Eberle lists Martin St. Louis as his favorite player because they play similar styles. That would be nice. I can`t find his WHL shots-on-goal totals which is maddening. Very smart, lightning hands. He could be an exceptional scorer. He scored 105 goals in 197 WHL games and that`s a good league, and he put up a point-per-game in a late season AHL audition.
  • What are his negatives? Size and his foot speed isn`t blazing. On a team filled with trolls, this is a factor moving forward. Edmonton is going to need a trade for someone like Drew Stafford in the next year or so, but we`ve been saying that for three years now. Anyway, Eberle isn`t that guy, he`s another undersized skill winger.
  • Why wasn’t he more dominant in junior? Well he did play well, but the team sucked wind after the new year. They were really terrible, and we can point the finger at Eberle a little but his splits weren’t awful or anything. In his first 30 games, Eberle went 20-19-39 +1 and in the final 31 games he went 15-20-35 -5. He led his team in goals and points. The one poor stretch was the final 20 games (he went 9-12-21) when his +/- was a horrendous -9.
  • Was he really that good in Springfield? Jonathan Willis is doing some amazing stuff on his various sites and yesterday posted a timely item on the Falcons. It shows Eberle was facing subpar opposition so we need to view his performance in that light. However, it’s also true he was posting some good numbers in a pro league at age 18.
  • Where does he fit on the depth chart? Way down. If we assume he’s a RW, then there’s one job to win: 2line right-winger. The depth chart (at a guess) is Hemsky, Nilsson, Pisani, Stortini, Ryan Stone (or Liam Reddox). Since he can’t play in the AHL there’s no need to list that bunch, so clearly Eberle needs to bump Nilsson (and the others who might end up being 2line RW) in order to make the big team.
  • Is that possible? These are the Edmonton Oilers, anything is possible.
  • Is it probable? No. The most likely plan (if the Oilers are indeed interested in getting to the post-season) is to add a veteran forward and to hold back the water on all forward prospects. The prudent move is to send Jordan Eberle back to the Queen City to score 50 goals and score more famous junior goals.
  • What does the organization think of him? They love him. There’s an article every 10 minutes on oilers.com and that World Junior goal makes him pure Canadiana.
  • How will we know if they’re seriously thinking about him as an NHL option? Kevin Lowe, Kevin Prendergast or Steve Tambellini will say something like “when Pat first asked about keeping him I thought he was joking, but with the way he’s performed in the last two pre-season games I don’t know that we can send him back!”

Sail on, Jordan Eberle. You waited so long for a playoff run and got just the one. We wish you the best in Brooklyn and will remember your skill and talent.

110 Responses to "SAIL ON, REGINA PATRICIA"

1. misfit says:

“Jordan Eberle can score goals and that has high value.”

Clearly not that high…

2. Pink Socks says:

I don’t mind Eberle for Strome, cap savings, more to come on how that is used, more to come on Strome’s performance this year. Best to reserve judgement. That being said, if the cap savings are being used on a big money (4×4) deal for Russell, I will be livid.

3. Munney says:

Eberle: Excited. Know some guys on Isles, played with Tavares a few times. Nothing but good things to say about Edmonton. Haven’t really wrapped my head around it. Grateful for the playoff run.

4. OmJo says:

I like Chiarellis mid-season trades but not a big fan of these off-season decisions…

5. TO10801 says:

Pink Socks:

Yeah that’s how I feel as well. Although Freidman is reporting 4-4.5 over 4 years. That’s just gross

6. Durag says:

Go big or go Strome

7. gogliano says:

Adds a soft minutes Centre so Draisatl can play wing. That and the cap savings are the logic of it, I think.

8. Dino says:

What’s going to hurt most is watching the Oilers sign a 30 year old mediocre defender for 4×4.5 while other teams make trades to acquire better and younger players in Hamonic, Barrie and others. I hope I’m wrong.

9. jtblack says:

I think this trade will work out well for both teams. Ebs instantly jumps to Johhny T’s wing and should hit 25+ Goals. Strome had 13 G in 69 gms. So a full season with some powerplay time should see him hit 20.

10. jtblack says:

Durag,

11. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

misfit:
    “Jordan Eberle can score goals and that has high value.”

– Great post LT!: he was a great player for the Oil for sure, developed nicely to boot.

Kinger says: “Jordan Eberle no score goals in playoffs and that has low value”

– It sucks that he didn’t score in his first playoffs, small sample size, but that’s what happens when goal scorers no score goals: they aren’t valued as high.

12. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack: Hope the best for Ebs. Excited to see if Strome can fot in amd be effective Top 9 / Top 6. I think he will replace Letestu on PP1.

JP as well when he makes it.

13. haters says:

Pink Socks:

Remember. No matter how good a team is they still have to play in their own zone at the very least 45% of the time in a game. It’s good to have players that can eat those minutes up sans error.

Ebs had a subpar year playing with Mcdavid. Did nothing in the playoffs. I remember quite a few people who wanted him to sit out the last few games against Anaheim.

14. JustWatt says:

Pink Socks:

Russel, whatever number he is signed at, assuming he signs in Edmonton, is not all going against the cap space made by this deal. He played on this team this past season, at $3.1 million. Only anything above that number cuts into the cap space cleared here. The rest is just a redux of what he was paid here this past season. Framing it otherwise is incorrect.

15. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

JustWatt,

Thank you for this!

16. elgruntus says:

Advice to Mr. Strome….do nothing but work on your “one-timer” all summer. oh..and stay far away from the coach Eb’s hired last summer

17. Bruce McCurdy says:

Congrats to Cassandra for the obvious success building the time machine. You should patent that thing!

18. Scungilli Slushy says:

elgruntus:
    Advice to Mr. Strome….do nothing but work on your “one-timer” all summer.oh..and stay far away from the coach Eb’s hired last summer

And faceoffs please.

19. pocession charge says:

haters: Russell was a beast in the Anaheim series…. Ebs ? Not so much. Russell is a fine dman. Frustrates and annoys opposition. He isn’t a puck mover mind you and plays best against a rising momentum swing from the opposing team. Fancy stats currently being employed seem to show him as an unfavorable talent. My eyes scream in protest. Currently there doesn’t seem to be a model available to accurately assess what he is doing well. Ei* fronting/blocking shots, proper positioning etc ….

I don’t think the problem is with Russell the player. The problem is the term on the contract. The Oilers have an established core who get the long term deals. Russell is not a core player and should not get a long term deal.

The OIlers play 5 hockey games from Jan 14th to Feb 6, a span of 23 days…a full midseason vacation.

21. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

godot10:

– Hey honey: lets go to Vegas for Valentines Day:
    (hint: Thu. Feb. 15 vs. Edmonton, 7:00 p.m.)

22. Younger Oil says:

Strome is hardly a center.

5th in Islanders’ faceoffs taken, won under 43% of them last season.

If it was a bigger deal also bringing back Nelson or De Haan I’d be happy with it, but a one for one when one player’s worst season is better than the other player’s best season doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Add in the fact that Stauffer said that Tavares asked for Eberle specifically, and it is pretty clear Chia didn’t get enough back. Especially after getting fleeced by the same GM in the Reinhart trade.

Cap space is valuable, but spending the cap space to sign Russell for longer than Eberle’s contract had left would completely negate it. Another factor to consider is that it might be tough to re-sign Strome after McDavid signs his contract.

So much to wait and see with for this trade, but it really doesn’t look too great on the surface.

23. pocession charge says:

I like the schedule this year. Get the Pens twice and Caps once right off the bat before they’ve warmed up. Way more Saturday games now that they are fun to watch and a good team. End the season against the Canucks for the eleventyth time in a row.

24. Bruce McCurdy says:

JustWatt: This isn’t good thinking and I don’t know why it’s the only thing I’m seeing here and on twitter right now. (note: I admit I haven’t read all the comments in this morning’s post”)

I just made this exact point on our brand new Cult of Hockey podcast.

25. pocession charge says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Hey honey: lets go to Vegas for Valentines Day:
    (hint: Thu. Feb. 15 vs. Edmonton, 7:00 p.m.)

Someone must love the Oilers indeed. That weekend they get Vegas, Arizona, and Colorado. I think they win the division this year.

26. leadfarmer says:

Other GMs take Snow behind the woodshed so Snow takes it out on us. I would be surprised if Strome is here more than a year

27. Chachi says:

leadfarmer:
    Other GMs take Snow behind the woodshed so Snow takes it out on us.I would be surprised if Strome is here more than a year

Strome should be an Oiler longer than Eberle will be an Islander.

28. Whatif says:

I get very tired of reading all the negativity put forward by Matt Henderson. Some day he may actually have something positive to say. Probably have to find a new/better site.

29. Ryan says:

leadfarmer:

Snow absolutely took Chiarelli behind the woodshed on the Reinhart deal.

This deal, while not what we wanted is a realistic outcome based upon the relevant variables.

30. PaperDesigner says:

Whatif:

I get tired of the negativity too. However, have the common sense not to blame the messenger. The Oilers have had bad management for a number of years now. As long as the management is bad, the reviews are going to be bad. Don’t expect the people covering the Oilers to be sunshine and roses when the team is being propped up by its ability to win the draft lottery in the right year.

31. Bruce McCurdy says:

Chiarelli now 50 minutes late for his media avail. I’m prepared to cut him a break here, cuz no doubt perfectting the language on Russell’s NMC and buyout-proof bonus structure take time.

/gallows humour

32. --hudson-- says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Maybe Chia doesn’t hold his cards as close to his chest as we thought.

33. russ99 says:

That tweet alluding to a NMC for Russell makes me think that Chia’s just punking you guys.

I’m a huge fan, even have his jersey, but even I think that’s a bad idea.

34. LMHF#1 says:

He’s all about cap this cap that, long term this long term that when he’s (in all likelihood) about to drop 2x as much as he needs to for a #5 defenceman that will be Mark Fayne’d by the end of his deal?

Good lord…

Fending off predatory offer sheets??? What….

“We’ll match anything”.

Great work MacTa…I mean Chiarelli. *shudder*

35. Ryan says:

haters,

I’ll tell you one thing. Age is a bitch if you’re a 30 year-old undersized 4-5 dman who eats pucks for a living.

Signing one to a 4×4 contract is going to be a disaster at some point down the road and possibly as soon as the second year of the contract.

36. Chachi says:

What I am really upset about is the fact that Chiarelli didn’t show up to the press availability in a track suit or even a bath robe. What a missed opportunity.

37. stephen sheps says:

Say what you will about P.C.’s trading record, but the way he deals with the media is comedy gold sometimes.

the way he handled the ‘are you mad you don’t have a 2nd round pick because of, well… you?’ question was amazing.

38. Munny says:

/gallows humour

Well… he is talking to a hung jury.

39. Scungilli Slushy says:

pocession charge: I don’t think the problem is with Russell the player.The problem is the term on the contract.The Oilers have an established core who get the long term deals.Russell is not a core player and should not get a long term deal.

I think the term is less important than movement clauses. He wouldn’t be hard to move if it’s an option. As a moveable UFA he would become an asset without a draft cost, like college players.

He may not want that, if so they should look at other options because Nurse will be ready to handle second pair better than him before 4 years is up.

The flip side is that they plan to turn the leftorioum into a desert and trade Nurse.

40. frjohnk says:

Loved EBERLE as an Oiler. He was thrown into the deep end right off the bat and while he had his warts he was one of the few Oilers that a person could cheer for during the dark ages. Never heard anything negative about him. Scored probably one of the best 1st goals ever.
    Wish him all the best.

And because my phone has a mind of its own, the player EBERLE was traded for is autocorrected to Stroke.

I think Stroke has some upside ( he scored 50 points as a 21 yearold), he was drafted as a skilled center, so he may come into camp this next year ready to take the next step. Heres hoping.

41. Munny says:

Chachi,

+Lifetime supply of caramels

42. Pink Socks says:

I guess since mine is “not good thinking”, let me clarify. Russell @ $3.1m, Strome/Eberle savings @ $3.5m.

Drai made $3.4 last year, he likely signs for $7m. That still leaves $3m more. If we spend that $3m on Russell, I along with many others, will be pissed that the money was not directed towards a more glaring need, such as an RHD, emphasis on the “R”, that can help on a PP and moving the puck.

43. Pink Socks says:

Again, I’m not hating on Russell, he served his purpose. My point is that $3.5m can be used on a better alternative than Kris Russell.

44. russ99 says:

Ryan:
    haters,

The difference is Russell has skating ability, those other guys (Ference, Fayne, etc.) are poor skaters.

I’m OK with the term/contract since UFA kind of forces that, and bringing Russell back is the start of upgrading our defense, not the end. This isn’t a Seabrook signing, it’s market value for a good veteran defender.

But the NMC kills the ability to be able to move him in 2-3 years when young defensemen pass him, that would be a big fail.

45. Munny says:

Pink Socks,

Name names.

46. russ99 says:

Pink Socks: Again, I’m not hating on Russell, he served his purpose.My point is that $3.5m can be used on a better alternative than Kris Russell.

That’s not mutually exclusive. We can sign Russell who’s better on the left side anyway and move to improve our RHD, just that we’ll need to pare some of the obvious cap issues even after Ebs was traded.

And this is the summer to do it, once Connor and Leon’s numbers are known, nobody is going to help us with cap-cutting deals.

47. frjohnk says:

russ99: The difference is Russell has skating ability, those other guys are poor skaters.

Just a few days ago I made a case to bring Russell back http://lowetide.ca/2017/06/19/youre-a-naughty-one-saucy-jack/#comment-653004 ( and it actually uses some advanced stats) but $4M 4 years or something with a NMC I would say no

48. Diablo says:

So the inevitable came true. Stauffer had been hinting at it for a while. Why did it take so long to complete the deal though?

Strome is underwhelming, especially for a proven scorer like Ebs. On the other hand, Eberle’s numbers have been trending down for a few seasons, so maybe it was just time to move on … not having any chemistry with Connor was what did him in.

Hopefully Strome can take advantage of the opportunity … he has 3 more goals in the playoffs than Eberle … so there’s that I suppose.

Signing Russell to 4×4 would be terrible … too much money and term. But what’s Chia supposed to do? With so many teams losing D-men after the expansion draft, and the fact that many teams were looking for a top 4 d-man before the expansion draft, plus the loss of Reinhart and the injury to Sekera, Chia is not negotiating from a position of strength.

If you don’t want to be in this position year after year, then draft more D. Pick ’em early and often.

On another note … why does Carolina need TVR? Perhaps they are trading Faulk…..?

49. Ducey says:

frjohnk: Just a few days ago I made a case to bring Russell backhttp://lowetide.ca/2017/06/19/youre-a-naughty-one-saucy-jack/#comment-653004 ( and it actually uses some advanced stats) but $4M 4 years or something with a NMC I would say no

Thanks for that.

But don’t you think he would be tradable with say 3 years and $12 M left?

50. GMB3 says:

Last year I was wearing my Taylor Hall Oilers tshirt at work and he got traded.

Today I got the update while on the loo wearing my Jordan Eberle shirt.

Never buying a McDavid shirt.

51. Richard S.S. says:

Love the Cult of Hockey podcast.

Centers: Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Mark Letestu.
    Backup Centers (mostly Wing): Drake Caggiula (L/RW) and Ryan Strome (RW).

Todd McLellan is a much better Coach than anyone the Islanders have had.

Ryan Strome is 23 and has played in the NHL for 4 years.
    Jordan Eberle is 27 and has played in the NHL for 7 years.

52. striatic says:

It seems like there’s a consensus that Russel isn’t worth 4.5×4. If the concern is more about term, how high could the Oilers go on a 2 year contract and still have the deal be reasonable?

53. Diablo says:

Ducey:

Strome looks very, very happy to be an Oiler.

Good interview actually.

Fun fact … the Oilers now have the No. 1, 4, 5 and 19 picks from the 2011 draft.

54. TO10801 says:

striatic:

The problem in my eyes is more than 1 year. Next year you have Nurse, Benning, and McDavid extensions. I would prefer any type of 1 year stop gap to a lengthy extension. I think PC probably disagrees however.

55. Ducey says:

GMB3:
    Last year I was wearing my Taylor Hall Oilers tshirt at work and he got traded.

Today I got the update while on the loo wearing my Jordan Eberle shirt.

Never buying a McDavid shirt.

You may want to disinfect your phone, too.

56. Diablo says:

Richard S.S.:
    Love the Cult of Hockey podcast.

Centers: Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Mark Letestu.
    Backup Centers (mostly Wing): Drake Caggiula (L/RW) and Ryan Strome (RW).

Todd McLellan is a much better Coach than anyone the Islanders have had.

Ryan Strome is 23 and has played in the NHL for 4 years.
    Jordan Eberle is 27 and has played in the NHL for 7 years.

This is really important to take note of … seriously Capuano was a terrible coach. Strome rebounded late in the season under Dougie Weight … I remember looking at his pre and post coaching change splits, and being impressed by a significant difference there.

I thinks it’s important to think of Strome as a RW/C, who can play with any of the LHC, and take face-offs on his strong side. This should benefit both McDavid and RNH numbers in the dot.

57. pocession charge says:

striatic:

$4-4.5M max on a two year term. If he doesn’t like that then tell him to pound sand.

58. frjohnk says:

The EBERLE salary dump was also to free up space for either Maroon, or Maroons replacement
    Next year Fayne will be off the books and I also believe the Oilers win be looking to get rid of Pouliots salary as well

If McDavid gets 11, Drai gets 7, Russell and Maroon at $4M Cag, Sleppy and Kassian sign for $2M, Nurse and Benning for $2.5M we get something like this for 18-19.

Maroon 4 McDavid 11 Strome 2.5

7D 0.8
    D cost $23.5M

Talbot 4.1
    Broissant 1
    Goalies cost $5.1M

Total cost of $77.7M

I may be off with a few numbers ( no idea what McDavid and Drai will get but it should be close) but that roster is somewhat of how the Oilers may look like next year.

59. Revolved says:

S 5.15
    E -4.79

RelExpectedGF% 15-17 Xtrahockeystats.com
    S 0.99
    E 3.17

60. dustrock says:

I’m much more worried about a multi-year Russell deal.

Wouldn’t making the move for Schlemko have been superior? 2 years? I dunno.

I’d like to see Strome’s numbers WOWY Doug Weight as head coach. I do think some of the struggles were with NYI being a dysfunctional franchise, just like players like Yakupov and Schultz struggled here.

I think Strome will be better here than on the Isles. Still don’t like the trade, but again, the fear about Russell is much more real for me. Can we not aim higher?

61. frjohnk says:

How about Russell 4 years 18M with a partial NMC?

62. Bag of Pucks says:

After Katz bought the team and launched the rebuild with ‘Oil Change’ as the official document of the allegedly inevitable ascent to the mountaintop, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle & Magnus Paajarvi were sold as the new saviours (i.e. Core 1.0).

With this trade, Core 1.0 is now officially dead. Long live Core 3.2!

63. pocession charge says:

And add a hot tub!

64. pocession charge says:

Munny: Well… he is talking to a hung jury.

My name isn’t Jury…..

65. Southern Oil says:

frjohnk:
    How about Russell 4 years 18M with a partial NMC?

Just saw that on Twitter as well. Who is Joshua Marshall @JMarshyBosco93? Although he reports full NMC.

66. Bruce McCurdy says:

frjohnk:
    Loved EBERLE as an Oiler.He was thrown into the deep end right off the bat and while he had his warts he was one of the few Oilers that a person could cheer for during the dark ages.Never heard anything negative about him.Scored probably one of the best 1st goals ever.
    Wish him all the best.

I think Stroke has some upside ( he scored 50 points as a 21 yearold), he was drafted as a skilled center, so he may come into camp this next year ready to take the next step.Heres hoping.

Stroke Of Genius …brilliant, that’s why it’s called a “smart phone”! Or were you / it thinking of the alternate definition of “stroke”?

67. Scungilli Slushy says:

dustrock:
    I’m much more worried about a multi-year Russell deal.

Wouldn’t making the move for Schlemko have been superior?2 years?I dunno.

I’d like to see Strome’s numbers WOWY Doug Weight as head coach.I do think some of the struggles were with NYI being a dysfunctional franchise, just like players like Yakupov and Schultz struggled here.

I think Strome will be better here than on the Isles.Still don’t like the trade, but again, the fear about Russell is much more real for me.Can we not aim higher?

Schultz and Yak still have big holes in their game, Strome doesn’t, so I think he’s a good bet to get better.

Schultz is getting points but his game isn’t much changed. I see him looking better for playing behind 2 world class centres, a lot.

Schlemko isn’t as good as Russell. Third pairing type. Nobody seems to want to keep him either, new team every year.

68. GMB3 says:

Ducey: You may want to disinfect your phone, too.

69. haters says:

Yup .
    Agree with most people. Russell is fine . 4x4m is not. Hands are a bit tied with the injury to Rej though.
    I’d like to see Russell paired with Osterle next year for a bit. I think those 2 would complement each other well .

70. Snowman says:

Is anyone else getting a terrible feeling about how much the Mcdavid and Drai contracts are gonna cost?

How much is too much for McDavid? Leon?

What if they’re coming in at 14M and 8M or something like that?

Could it be more? I’ve just started to get this bad feeling about those deals…

71. Diablo says:

GMB3: You don’t go on your phone on the shitter? That’s when I get to read lowetide at work.

Doesn’t everyone LOL!

I’m far worse … I set my phone down all over the hospital I work at, especially in the ER. I have yet to be colonized with a drug-resistant bacteria (though its probably just a matter of time).

72. Visually better says:

Dreger saying there are whispers mcdavid will come in at 14 m per year. Lol what a time to be alive. Mcdavid and Kris Russell vs. The world

73. Bruce McCurdy says:

Chris Nichols‏ @NicholsOnHockey

Dreger: “There are whispers that it’s going to be $14 million for Connor McDavid.” #Oilers

74. Cassandra says:

What value do you really think cap space has?

Van Riemsdyk was just traded for a second round pick. Is he worse than Russell? Russell is only good if you think that defense have the ability to influence save percentage, which he has no pattern of being able to do.

The Oilers only need cap space because they keep using it on the wrong players. Lucic, last year, Russell, this year. It’s a convenient circle of justification. Yes, I know we lose on the player side of the equation but we get the cap space, which we only need because we keep signing bad players.

Eberle + Van Riemsdyk is better than Strome + Russell.

Note, Strome had 13 goals lasts year in what was a bounce back year, more than a 50% improvement on the 8 the year before.

To listen to Oiler fans justify the trade they might as well be saying, “Great trade. Who did we get?”

Strome isn’t any of the things Oiler fans think he is.

He isn’t a center.
    He doesn’t have a track record as a defensive player.
    He isn’t tough.

He might be able to score. He’s the kind of guy I wish the Oilers would take flyers on more often. But the cost shouldn’t be a good player. The cost should be a second round pick when the other team tires of him, a la Maroon.

75. Snowman says:

Chris Nichols‏ @NicholsOnHockey

Ha well, that’s… a lot.

Lordy.

76. LMHF#1 says:

Chris Nichols‏ @NicholsOnHockey

Really committed to not winning anything are they?

Wow.

77. Professor Q says:

Chris Nichols‏ @NicholsOnHockey

Holy heck. I don’t like the sound of that (even if people want him no matter what).

No room to sign anyone else.

78. McNuge93 says:

Is there an overpaid D that Vegas just picked up that the Oilers could trade Pouliot + sweetener for?

79. frjohnk says:

Chris Nichols‏ @NicholsOnHockey

If that is the case, Lucic better get allergic to his equipment a lot sooner.

80. striatic says:

Chris Nichols‏ @NicholsOnHockey

While I get that McDavid has to be the highest paid player in the league, and that his contract has to future proof that for some while into the future, I’m not sure you can build a Stanley Cup winning team when you have 14 million tied up in one player, whoever that player may be.

Guess we’ll find out!

81. krakman says:

frjohnk: If that is the case, Lucic better get allergic to his equipment a lot sooner.

Signing Lucic is still the worst move Chiarelli has made since he came to the Oilers, he’s building quite the resume.

82. N64 says:

Chris Nichols‏ @NicholsOnHockey

He’ll settle for 12.125 per. That’s just a warning shot not to spend the discount on a 5 year deal for Rustle.

83. Munny says:

Today the Oilers sold my favourite Oiler. I never thought he was the best player evah; he was simply the Oiler that wormed his way deepest into my heart. It is with some sadness that I bid farewell.

What did Chia do with this cherished asset?

Primarily he bought years of age, RFA status over UFA, and $3.5M in cap space for the next year (and likely a smaller but not insignificant number thereafter).

Secondarily, he bought a different skillset. Ebs is better in tight, on the odd-man rush, better stickhandler, Strome is better on the boards, shot from distance, has a one-timer. Ebs has been the better point producer over his career, but he’s had the better rides, is overpaid, and this ain’t about the past.

In the room, trading a known quantity and likeable guy like Ebs is always a risk. In this case the risk is negated by trading for a known friend of CMD, our Commander. This loyalty might be handy for Strome’s next contract.

Doubt there were many other young RH shot options from teams with enough cap space available for Chia. And this is certainly better than Spector’s tomfool lose-him-for-nothing-at-the-XD. In fact, NYI paid a lot at the XD to create the space to buy Eberle to keep Tavares happy enough to sign an extension with again the space to do so.

And at our end, this is about having the space to keep our two stallions prancing in Oil silks.

And as much as I loved Eberle, you couldn’t pry their reins from my cold, dead hands. Saddle up.

84. jm363561 says:

frjohnk:
    Wish him all the best.

And because my phone has a mind of its own, the player EBERLE was traded for is autocorrected to Stroke?

Now EBERLE has gone maybe we should all set our AutoCorrect to STROME.

Over time I became increasingly disappointed with Ebs and in the Anaheim series he was invisible. My biggest fear is Strome is the next Desharnais. (Man, that was a weird trade, made worse by the injury to Sekera).

85. Munny says:

Chris Nichols‏ @NicholsOnHockey

The Eastern newsfolk continuin to shower us with their sweet favours. Like they did on Hall and Ebs’ trade values.

86. Android says:

Chris Nichols‏ @NicholsOnHockey

As crippling (and frightening) as a $14 Million contract sounds, I think this is definitely something that should be taken with a nice heap of salt. It’s one guy, citing “whispers”.

If there’s one thing being a soccer fan for years has taught me, it’s that singular rumors (especially on social media) are pretty well worthless.

I remember a few weeks ago we were hearing he was going to take a hometown discount. It doesn’t make sense for anyone who wants to win to demand that kind of contract in a salary capped world.

Here’s a good take on it from Bob McKenzie: (the relevant portion starts at 9:23)

87. dangilitis says:

Ha

McDavid is entitled to whatever he wants. However, if he was serious when he said he would trade all 3 trophies for a Stanley Cup, he should probably realize he’ll need to leave a little money on the table as well. He’s going to make at least 200 million salary over his career and this will skyrocket when factoring in endorsements. 14 mil per season is pretty much pricing your team out of Cup caliber adds.

88. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– I’m sure he will get $14MM: $10MM of salary, and “Rexall Consulting Inc” $4MM sent to Cayman’s

89. McSorley33 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

/gallows humour
    ***************************************************************************
    That was good…well done.

90. frjohnk says:

Ha!, just caught what LT wrote in the summer of 2009.

“The prudent move is to send Jordan Eberle back to the Queen City to score 50 goals and score more famous junior goals.”

So EBERLE went and scored 50 goals with the Pats and then in the WJC gold medal game scored 2 goals in the last few minutes to send it to OT.

LT called that right on the button.

91. Alpine says:

I dont ‘hate’ the trade. But it’s the type of deal that could have been made next summer when it would actually be imperative to move Eberle for cap reasons. They don’t really need the cap space today. Strome will probably be useful, and potentially good. But Eberle is already good. There’s a lot more Stromes in the league than there are Eberles.

The disturbing trend is the Oilers AGAIN moving out a good player for less than stellar value because of the player’s perceived (and possibly real) flaws. An persistent problem with the Oilers is that they seem to be completely arbitrary when it comes to deciding who is and who isn’t a core player.

They will first look for the flaws in a decided non-core player, instead of actually determining what the player’s value is and setting it against the average to figure out how good said player is. They seem to have things in mind that they want from a player and devalue the player if he doesn’t meet the criteria.

Were all of Petry, Hall, Schultz, Eberle (and whoever else you want to include) all uniquely flawed players that the Oilers were so unlucky to end up with in their quest to build a respectable team? Or was the team itself not prioritizing the right things when they decided they needed to move the players instead of continuing to develop them?

I’m starting to think things will never truly change with this hockey club. They always seem to end up with management who twists themselves into believing that they have to move out good, but imperfect players so that they can replace them with other flawed players (Lucic, Russell potentially) that just happen to meet their criteria. For some reason I don’t trust that a team that needed a superstar to get back into the playoff picture after so long really has the right criteria for selecting players.

92. Genjutsu says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Hey Bruce if you don’t start believing she’s gonna get a complex!

93. Bag of Pucks says:

LMHF#1: Really committed to not winning anything are they?

Wow.

Connor gonna’ get paid!

94. Professor Q says:

And hey, who knows?

Maybe McDavid will love playing with a Strome again.

Just need their DeBrincat in Yamamoto…

95. Diablo says:

So Carolina picks up RHD TVR… are they preparing to move Faulk?

96. McSorley33 says:

frjohnk,

I would decline…but as others have mentioned…what are the options?

What about you?

97. Bag of Pucks says:

Here’s the thing. Chiarelli’s predecessors would not move out one dimensional players to balance the roster. They were constantly stuck in wishful thinking mode hoping flawed players would improve until they eventually sold them for pennies on the dollar (Gagner, Penner, Petry, etc). And the end result was an unbalanced roster and a decade of losing.

Chiarelli asks himself a simple question, ‘Can i win the Cup with this guy slotted in the roster where he is now?’ and if the answer to that question is ‘no,’ then he cuts bait (even if that means taking a hit on the asset value).

Like last year, I really think we do this GM a disservice looking at his moves in isolation. You have to appraise the overall body of work.

With Eberle, I can’t fault his conclusion. Ebs to me is not a Top 6 Forward on a Cup winner, not with the 200ft pressure way the game is evolving.

In terms of pure asset value, Strome is a younger #5 OV on a better contract vs. an older #22 OV two years removed from FA. So, there is still the possibility that Strome could elevate to cover the bet, and you’ve got all that additional money to spend on another player which has to be included in the overall body of work.

Even Reinhart is defensible from an asset mgmt. pov given Cullen’s %’s on the value of a #4OV vs. a #16 and #33. And that fact gets ignored by yesterday’s critics (i.e. the Golden Knights have to perceive value in the player to claim him in the first place). It would actually be more logical to criticize the trade if the Knights hadn’t claimed him, because then you traded two picks for a player that even an expansion team doesn’t want.

Reading comments like Chiarelli traded Barzal for nothing is just so offbase imo. First, you don’t know who the Oilers would’ve picked and you can’t cherry pick the remainder of the draft. What Chiarelli traded was two middling lottery tickets for what is historically a guaranteed winner.

98. McSorley33 says:

Bag of Pucks,

Would LV have picked Davidson over GR?

99. McSorley33 says:

I am not saying Davy was top 4….but is there anyone else that thinks we could use him in a pinch this upcoming year?

We need some low cost guys….

100. Professor Q says:

Bag of Pucks: Don’t know that there’s anyway to avoid the massive deal. When you put yourself in the conversation with Gretzky and Crosby as the third youngest to win the Hart, you have to anticipate your agent asking for the veritable ‘back up the Brinks truck.’

Connor gonna’ get paid!

With the cap not rising by much and McDavid’s comments last night, I really don’t think he’s gping for $14 million AAV.

Maybe quite a bit higher than the supposed $9.7 million AAV, but closer to that than to $14.

101. Nuclear leak says:

This trade is fine, with Strome being a family friend of the Mcdavids who’s going to say no?

Something happened to Ebs release, if it’s long term, or he only has 10g by all star break, his return value would be Mark Fayne. Wait. Shit!

102. Doug McLachlan says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Exactly.

The Eberle to Strome savings add to Drai’s AVV to create the new Drai contract of around $7M.

Russell moving to $4 and Kassian’s resigning eat up the cap escalation from $73M to $75M.

We still need a replacement for Sekera but with LTIR and some smart accounting can make this work, I would think.

103. dustrock says:

Doug McLachlan:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Exactly.

Some of us would hope to aim higher than Russell.

Sometimes it’s like people think there aren’t any other options out there, certainly not Las Vegas with their 7 jillion LHD.

104. who says:

McSorley33:
    Bag of Pucks,

Would LV have picked Davidson over GR?

No but then we would still have Davidson

105. dessert1111 says:

There goes my favourite player since he arrived. Right around the time I got back into the team after a hiatus since the Smythe trade. Not gonna lie, this is a tough one to take. Obviously not impressed with the return either.

Hope he gets his release back. I’ve had a soft spot for the Islanders for awhile so at least it’s a palpable team. Allows me to become more detached from the Oilers, anyway, which is probably a good thing overall. Just wish they would’ve traded him 5 years ago so I could’ve begun that detachment process when the team was trash.

Maybe I can order a cheap Ebs jersey to cheer me up.

Richard S.S.:

Todd McLellan is a much better Coach than anyone the Islanders have had.

Aren’t you forgetting somebody?

107. Ice Sage says:

I’ll miss Jordan Eberle, but he went out with a whimper.
    This spring was supposed to be the time for ‘Mr. Clutch’… but something’s been lost – hope he finds it again, although I’m sure he’ll score against the Oilers this year!

That being said, good trade.

108. FUHR31 says:

97 is great…. and oil fans we love our players. However I don’t think we should sell our GM short. Every GM makes mistakes, people think Stan Bowman is great…he has made some terrible trades and signings to the eye but has 3 cups. Chia has made some questionable moves for sure but this team is trending in the right direction. The culture change has happened and its cup or bust now. Always loved Ebs but the cap is important, Strome is one of Connor’s boys and is gonna do well here I believe. As for Russell I sure hope not but mabey his value to the team comes from his locker room presence as much as on ice ???? we wait