OILERS AT 22: KAILER YAMAMOTO

Oilers select Kailer Yamamoto

More to come.

• R Kailer Yamamoto, Spokane Chiefs (WHL). The Black Book “An electric player with dynamic offensive ability, easily some of highest skill of any forward I watched this year, he’s just so small and at times took some big contact when I was viewing him. Love his aggressive nature and how he attacks puck carries from all angles, it puts players on edge.”
  • Corey Pronman: It takes a lot of talent for teams to be convinced that a player under 5foot8
    should go in the top 15, but Yamamoto clears that bar, partly on talent alone, and partly on a relatively weak draft class. He’s a plus skater, puck handler and passer. Yamamoto has great agility on his edges, combined with a good top gear. He can create when he is carrying the puck due to his skill, creativity and ability to see the ice. He can come down the wing with speed one shift and quarterback a power play the next. At the WHL level as an 18 yearold, he showed he could be decent defensively, but the main concern going forward is how will he do away from the puck at his
    size. I have reasonable concerns about that, and it’s why I don’t think he’s at the level of say, Mitch Marner, at the same age. However, there is still a lot of promise in his game.

186 Responses to "OILERS AT 22: KAILER YAMAMOTO"

1. PaperDesigner says:

Isn’t this the player a lot of people on this blog wanted at 22?

…What are we supposed to do, then? Be happy?

2. HT Joe says:

PaperDesigner:
    Isn’t this the player a lot of people on this blog wanted at 22?

…What are we supposed to do, then? Be happy?

🙂

3. Richard S.S. says:

Absolute wasted pick – a Minature Smurf.

4. PaperDesigner says:

HT Joe: I like the pick, but am most disappointed by the way that Chia announced the pick.

Did he forget to thank the city of Florida again? Classless.

5. DaveWatchesHockey says:

PaperDesigner:
    Isn’t this the player a lot of people on this blog wanted at 22?

…What are we supposed to do, then? Be happy?

If you are an oiler fan and you are happy you are doing it wrong.

Dave

6. LadiesloveSmid says:

Big fan of this pick. Was scared Calgary would take him.

1 more year in Spokane and then AHL, ’98 birthday.

7. russ99 says:

Solid pick. Let him bubble under a few years, put on some weight, and come up and score when we need him to.

8. leadfarmer says:

What a great pick. Love it!!! If he was 6 foot 200 lbs he would have been picked first. Production was higher than Nolan Patrick. I’ve been complaining about Chias work lately but this is good.

9. russ99 says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Big fan of this pick. Was scared Calgary would take him.

1 more year in Spokane and then AHL, ’98 birthday.

I was more scared with Vegas, three picks in the first lets you gamble with the third one.

10. doritogrande says:

Have to think that scouting their own player in Rasanen they would have watched a lot of Tolvanen this year. I guess they found some holes, otherwise you’d think they would have taken the bigger player instead of Yamamoto.

This pick was so blatantly projected by everyone to the Oilers. I think Chia has some leaks in his ship.

11. The Hermit says:

Chia can’t stop grinning, Oilers got who they wanted.

So some age effect inflating his point totals. But the numbers are big….

13. frjohnk says:

Im not too familar with this kid.

Very few players that are sub 5-10 go in the first round.

Last kid I can think of sub 5-10 to go in the first round from the WHL is Tyler Ennis.

is this kid similar?

14. Alpine says:

Great pick. Would have been happy with Tolvanen, but Yamamoto had top 10 skill in this draft. Chia should just only draft players.

15. LadiesloveSmid says:

Strikes me as a 2008 Eberle-esque pick. Skill to go higher without the size.

Ebs and guys like Gaudreau/Johnson make me a believer in little supremely skilled players. Now I gotta cheer for the US at the WJC

16. zatch says:

I move to nickname him The Admiral

17. LadiesloveSmid says:

godot10:
    So some age effect inflating his point totals.But the numbers are big….

Same thing for Nolan Patrick.

Yamamoto did have good numbers last year as well

18. Diablo says:

LT – you nailed it!

Exciting pick – though he’s small he has high end offence. He’ll need a few years to mature and get stronger.

I had hoped for Thomas/Norris or one of the D Brannstrom/ Foote/Liljegren. Yamamoto was next on my list.

Be happy people, the Oilers do value analytics!

19. Professor Q says:

However I am a bit ticked that Winnipeg got Vesalainen.

Bow they have the two Fins, and Edmonton only one…

20. Professor Q says:

zatch:
    I move to nickname him The Admiral

Hey, isn’t Edmonton’s ECHL team Norfolk? That works…

21. Surgeons Knot says:

Ruuudy! Ruuudy! Ruuudy!

22. Munny says:

Yamadabbadoo had highest upside of everyone left on the board. Also probably the biggest risk.

23. russ99 says:

Professor Q:
    However I am a bit ticked that Winnipeg got Vesalainen.

Bow they have the two Fins, and Edmonton only one…

I think a lot of that had to do the elite skill and the preferred one more CHL year, then 1-2 AHL years route, which better fits when we’ll need him.

24. Scungilli Slushy says:

Ughhhhhh.

25. Clay says:

From what I understand he’s a better skater than Eberle was in junior (read that somewhere) and he has a one-timer, although time will tell if it’ll translate to the Bigs.

Exciting player though. People think Chia is all about the moar biggar, but his draft record here and in Boston says differently.

26. Chris says:

The kid has all the skill he will need. Now we basically have to hope he grows 3-5 inches.

27. sliderule says:

He looks tiny

Really really tiny

Holy smokes ,

I hope they know what they are doing

28. Munny says:

Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC · 10s11 seconds ago

Brayden Schenn to STL for Lehtera, the 27th pick and a conditional first next year

29. StixMalone says:

Johnny Hockey 2.0 ?

30. jp says:

Chris:

Or can put on 30 lbs without growing an inch taller…

Very impressive skill though.

31. Scungilli Slushy says:

Clay:

Exciting player though.People think Chia is all about the moar biggar, but his draft record here and in Boston says differently.

Chiarelli likes drive. I do to. Yama Pete says has it. He can motor which means he has a chance, maybe better than Lloyd Christmas.

He is also one of the most prolific goal scorers in the draft, and think that is the rub here. Only Suzuki and Tippet had more of those drafted on what look like stronger teams.

32. Acumen says:

This is definitely a huge risk. Pint sized and ’98 born. I would have taken Vesalainen, but Yamamoto and Tolvanen were 2a and 2b for me. Tremendous value at 22, and this could be a major steal.

RH shot, nice mitts, rocket boots, and a reported willingness to forecheck with a documented (YouTube highlights) willingness to go to the net. Could be a very good match for the 14 million dollar man.

33. Scungilli Slushy says:

jp: Or can put on 30 lbs without growing an inch taller…

Very impressive skill though.

Not athletically at that height, and he’s not growing taller anymore.

34. Munny says:

Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC · 52s53 seconds ago

Conditions on second pick from STL to PHI: top 10 protected, STL has option to push to 2019. If they do so, PHI also gets a third in 2020.

35. Pouzar says:

I’m no guru but I love this pick. We need skill in the pipeline bad and Killer has wheels.

36. Acumen says:

Only 4 months younger than Puljujarvi. Not saying it’s a detractor, just interesting. Our right side is gonna be very fast one day.

37. Thinker says:

I don’t have a guy I wanted more since TO ruined the Lilijernejfgrin train.

Yamamoto is probably 3-4 years away. Needs to add lower body strength to compensate for his lack of size. Debrincat was much better last year, and he hung around to the second round, so I think that tells you something about this draft class. I guess he outpace Tyler Johnson at the same age. Thank god he shoots right.

I probably would have traded the pick this year.

38. russ99 says:

Hahaha. They’re playing Nobody’s Fault But Mine before the Hawks pick.

39. Scungilli Slushy says:

I hope the Oilers have a long term outlook when drafting about the cap, but also about the state of the game and where it’s going. All businesses need to anticipate trends to be successful.

So, if the league is moving from large slower D to faster puck moving D, the solution is very quick aggressive forecheckers. That Yama can also seem to finish given the Oilers centres is a good plan.

Still I worry about how few players that size can do what this kid will need to do to be an actual help. He will not get taller, he probably can hit 175 or so. If he’s strong and strong on his skates it might work.

I hope he likes training.

40. Munny says:

Aww, fukkit, let’s do Round Two now.

41. Lucinius says:

Just pick already….

42. doritogrande says:

After all the hoopla, does LT even have this guy Chicago drafted on his list?

43. Android says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I would definitely say it’s ill-advised to assume he won’t grow any taller.
    I know a number of people who are still growing at the age of 20-21.

44. Pouzar says:

I wonder if this pick was a tell on Foo’s intentions?

45. Munny says:

Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account
    @PierreVLeBrun

Ryan Reaves has been dealt to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Not sure yet of the other trade details

46. Ducey says:

The age thing for the Admiral is not much of a factor.

99 pts in draft yr.
    71 pts in draft -1
    57 pts in draft -2

No doubt he will score. It’s just whether he can play some defense and not get killed

In fact it would seem he went right from Bantam to the WHL. No Midget ( ironically). Crazy.

47. JDI says:

Android:
    Scungilli Slushy,

I would definitely say it’s ill-advised to assume he won’t grow any taller.
    I know a number of people who are still growingat the age of 20-21.

Quoted for truth. My best friend grew 3 inches after graduating grade 12.

Quote for caution. I grew 1 inch after grade 9.

48. Acumen says:

Tolvanen at 30. Man. Nashville is the new Detroit.

49. Ducey says:

JDI: Quoted for truth. My best friend grew 3 inches after graduating grade 12.

Quote for caution. I grew 1 inch after grade 9.

Dad looks pretty short.

50. trencan says:

It was good drafft for Finland, again… but next year doesnt look so strong for them….

51. doritogrande says:

Tolvanen at 30. Man. Nashville is the new Detroit.

The steal of the draft. And that includes Liljegren.

52. Chris says:

Can we all agree that the age isn’t the concern, it’s that rather than the Admiral we could make his nickname Frodo.

53. Munny says:

How much can we get for Luke Gazdic?

Shit too late.

54. Thinker says:

Honestly the Oilers have to push back if connor wants 14. That’s 3.5 higher cap hit than the next largest cap hit. Other guys make in that range salary wise, but they are front end loaded. That’s getting to the point where you could have multiple star players for the same price. Say Hall, Nuge, and Maroon (Not 27 goal maroon). Connor is the best, but it’s still a cap world.

55. Acumen says:

What is Pittsburgh thinking with that deal? My God.

56. Scungilli Slushy says:

Android:
    Scungilli Slushy,

I would definitely say it’s ill-advised to assume he won’t grow any taller.
    I know a number of people who are still growingat the age of 20-21.

Yes he might, but usually guys that age that height don’t. Segiun was somewhere around it when he entered the OHL but he was much younger. It doesn’t matter just that his odds are lower than more typical sized players to be an impact player even if first round, and that is what’s they should be looking for. It did seem I saw some disappointment on Nicholson’s and Gretzky’s faces when Chytil went early, I think that was who they wanted.

57. Chris says:

I figure 14 being floated is a negotiating ploy to make everyone more comfortable with it being $12/mill a year.

58. CalVag says:

Yammer on being asked when he knew the Oilers were interested…

“…during the combine. They told me they didn’t want to interview me because they didn’t want anyone else to know they were interested in me. They took me out to dinner [that] night. Then when I got back from the combine they took me out golfing.”

Maybe it’s just me, but that’s very sly of Chia. Love it!!

59. doritogrande says:

Bob McKenzie 27 for 31 this year. Highest ranking kid still there is Nic Hague at 25.

60. Professor Q says:

Chris:

Frodomoto?

61. Scungilli Slushy says:

The rule for height with males is that they will always be as tall as their mother barring genetic issues.

62. Android says:

JDI,

Fair point!

My observations are somewhat family based. I have several family members over 6 feet tall, who were all below 5-9 when they graduated.

63. Ducey says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Huh?

64. Bruce McCurdy says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Huh, I’m much taller than my mum. I must have genetic issues.

65. Acumen says:

Scungilli Slushy:

As in, at least as tall?

66. CalVag says:

Yammer at dinner with the Oilers (after the combine) and being asked why Edmonton should draft him…

“…because if you don’t draft me I’ll come back and haunt you.”

Love it!!!

67. Chris says:

Professor Q: Frodomoto?

I like it.

68. Pouzar says:

CalVag:
    Yammer at the combine and being asked why should the Edmonton Oilers draft him…

“…because I’ll come back and haunt you.”

Love it!!!

Nice!

So Killer Yamamoto it is?

or

Kid Yamamoto?

69. Jaxon says:

There are 2 red flags on this guy.

1. 5’8″, 153 lbs. He’s one of the shortest, lightest, smallest players in the draft. He’s not as big as Vladimir Tkachev was when he came to the Oilers’ camp.
    2. Sept. 29th Birthday. He’s one of the oldest players in the draft. 2 weeks older and he would have been in last year’s draft.

He might grow some, but I wouldn’t bet on him growing a lot.

I’ll be cheering like hell for him, but I’m not crazy about this pick.

I would much rather have seen them pick Vesalainen or Timmins.

70. Spengler says:

Professor Q: Hey, isn’t Edmonton’s ECHL team Norfolk? That works…

Not anymore. They’re with Nashville now. Can’t remember who the Oilers ECHL team is this year…. Brain cramp

71. PunjabiOil says:

Have no complaints about the pick. Took the guy with skill.

Tyler Ennis would be a good comparable?

72. Android says:

Spengler,

I believe it’s the Wichita Thunder.

73. Chris says:

Admittedly I would probably have been happier with a player six inches taller, 30-40 llbs heavier and slightly less skilled.

74. Scungilli Slushy says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Acumen,

Sorry, at least as tall.

You guys come on!

75. digger50 says:

Yammer the hammer

76. Android says:

Scungilli Slushy,

So then the question is, is there a photo with him and his mother together?

digger50:
    Yammer the hammer

This one has my vote!

77. Scungilli Slushy says:

PunjabiOil:
    Have no complaints about the pick.Took the guy with skill.

Tyler Ennis would be a good comparable?

I hope not. 5’9″ when drated.

This is the worry.

78. Pouzar says:

Android:
    Scungilli Slushy,

So then the question is, is there a photo with him and his mother together?

This one has my vote!

Yamsie?

79. PunjabiOil says:

Todd Cordell‏ @ToddCordell 16m16 minutes ago
    Replying to @Archaeologuy

only five CHL draft eligibles scored goals at a higher clip during 5v5 play

80. Jaxon says:

They should draft his twin brother with their last pick.

4th on their team in scoring (I read an article that said they rarely played on the same line as they both play the same position).

Keanu Yamamoto (F) 72gp, 26g, 43a, 69pts, 54pim, -13

Not bad.

81. Jaxon says:

Does drafting a RW torpedo or hurt the chances of getting Foo?

82. N64 says:

Chris:

Well I hope we just got the kind of player who would have fallen to the 4th round before the lockout. 😉

83. Thinker says:

I’m gonna call him Krazr after the moto Krazr’s.

84. T0ML says:

1) Fair point, but damn watch the video compilation, the kid can wheel.
    2) If Patrick was 4 days older he would have been in last years draft, and if your aunt had balls she would be your uncle. Why fault a kid for his birthday, could not be picked last year, just because he is older than some doesn’t mean he should be overlooked or lose places I’ve never understood this logic.

Jaxon:
    There are 2 red flags on this guy.

He might grow some, but I wouldn’t bet on him growing a lot.

I’ll be cheering like hell for him, but I’m not crazy about this pick.

I would much rather have seen them pick Vesalainen or Timmins.

85. leadfarmer says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Ha!! Funny but not true

86. Android says:

Jaxon,

Yamamoto is far enough out from the NHL it shouldn’t affect the chances of signing Foo.

87. Jaxon says:

Can he play in NCAA next season? It would be good to have him play against men for a season or two, but he can’t play in the AHL yet.

When can he join the AHL? 2018-2019? or 2019-2020? Geebus that sounds like a long time from now.

88. JDI says:

Ducey: Dad looks pretty short.

My friend’s Dad was 5′ 6″, my buddy ended up at 5′ 10″.

89. Oilanderp says:

Yamamoto is RIGHT HANDED. WIN! Trade the rest of our picks!

90. flyfish1168 says:

Pouzar:
    I wonder if this pick was a tell on Foo’s intentions?

Jaxon:
    Does drafting a RW torpedo or hurt the chances of getting Foo?

There is 4 years and at times 5 years difference between the 2 players. I would not believe there should not be an issue for few years.

91. Gret99zky says:

Tyler Benson last year. Yamamoto this year.

Oilers love the risky pick.

92. Gordies Elbow says:

Chris:

Another likely scenario? The “whispers” are to try and influence a third-party team to take an RFA run at Draisaitl.

That said, even after the Russell extension, they’re sitting pretty for the cap.

“The Eberle-for-Ryan Strome deal with the New York Islanders immediately frees up $3.5-million in cap space for next season. It also puts Edmonton almost $24-million under the upper limit, according to capfriendly.com, which leaves it in no danger of losing Draisaitl even if a rival team comes calling on July 1.

“There’s always the chatter and I want to be firm and clear that we have a significant amount of space and will match anything,” Chiarelli said Thursday.” – Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston

I’ve got to think, though, that this is just a smoke screen. Chiarelli knows the terms of McDavid’s contract, as they’ve given him the parameters.

While it could be 20% of the cap, but I don’t believe that it will be.

Anyone else think that Drai’s and McDavid’s contracts are waiting on the press conference on Canada day?

93. Gret99zky says:

JDI: My friend’s Dad was 5′ 6″, my buddy ended up at 5′ 10″.

exhibit b: Harrison Katz

94. NSmitty says:

Jaxon:
    They should draft his twin brother with their last pick.

Keanu Yamamoto (F) 72gp, 26g, 43a, 69pts, 54pim, -13

Not bad.

That would be wild. I’m all about the idea purely for the novelty of it.

95. Scungilli Slushy says:

Chris:

That wasn’t the only other option. These flags have been raised here for years, but those who raise them don’t typically come back with a rubbing the nose in it 3-5 years later. Maybe we should. Very few outliers have been anything but a wasted pick, especially for Edmonton.

The Oilers draft record is all you need to look at to know. Big can’t move doesn’t work, small can’t do much but score, only 100 pts works.

The difference here is Chiarelli has mentioned why he drafted him referring specifically to traits in his game that do make sense. It’s still a bigger long shot than others available.

Edit: Gaudreau was a 4th rounder.

96. Thinker says:

Tyler benson is 6′ and his brother is listed at 5’7. Not sure I believe that because I know him IRL.

97. T0ML says:

I think exactly this. If you follow all the verbal from the team, After McDvaid and Drai are figured out is when other shoes will drop. Russell’s signing to me signals that we will have a dual announcement on the 1st, Russell was signed up quicker due to the weak UFA crop for defense, with 14 teams requiring someone. And like it or not, Russell is a top 4 D-Man, which A lot of teams are looking for.

98. Gret99zky says:

Scungilli Slushy:

So…his mother needs to grow 3 inches?

99. speeds says:

I wouldn’t count on it as a certainty or anything, but I also wouldn’t completely shut the door on the chances of him cracking next year’s team if he impresses.

Last player, AFAIK, drafting in the 20’s, to play in the NHL in their post draft year was also a Chia draftee – Pastrnak. FWIW, Pastrnak was drafted 25th OV, and his ELC was for the max rookie salary with zero bonuses.

100. Jaxon says:

T0ML:
    1) Fair point, but damn watch the video compilation, the kid can wheel.
    2) If Patrick was 4 days older he would have been in last years draft, and if your aunt had balls she would be your uncle.Why fault a kid for his birthday, could not be picked last year, just because he is older than some doesn’t mean he should be overlooked or lose places I’ve never understood this logic.

1) Thank you.
    2) The birthdate means that he’s had a year more of development, and a year more of growth (yikes), than most of the other players in the draft. No fault of his own, it’s just the way it works when you pick any arbitrary date as the cutoff. You have to factor that in when evaluating the player. So his skills should be further ahead than others, meaning there is less room for improvement in the future. And it should be a factor when considering Patrick as well. Maybe it was a factor in him going #2 instead of #1.

And my aunt does have balls… it’s a family trait that skips every 2nd generation. Don’t ask. I still call her my auntie, though. That’s what she prefers.

101. Jaxon says:

Did we just draft Vladimir Tkachev @#22?

102. Professor Q says:

Jaxon:

He’s played in the CHL, so no, he can not play in the NCAA for hockey.

103. Thinker says:

Android: growing

Mostly MLB players.

104. DBO says:

So spencer foo signs now right?

105. Johnny says:

As long as the munchkin can skate, he stands a chance.

The Russell deal isn’t my dream deal, but what’s the alternative?

You risk competing for the same crap on the open market. Maybe get skunked. And nothing that would turn the dial.

He is going to have to lose about 4 steps before he tanks.

106. Spengler says:

Android,

Cheers Android!

107. JDI says:

Gret99zky: exhibit b:Harrison Katz

But my buddy didn’t have any access to a warehouse full of drugs and hormones.

108. Gordies Elbow says:

PS: This was an expensive draft. I’ve been a ‘Zuki rider since forever. Damn VGK, you had to be in our division, and pick Nick.

I’m guessing with the new pick, I’m looking for my first Yammie since my RZ350.

YZF-R1 or YZF-R1M?

109. RexLibris says:

Quite pleased with this Kailer Yamamoto pick.

Skilled players are always of value.

As to people wondering about his nickname, this was discussed earlier.

Slick player, slides around the ice well, loves to score.

It’s KY, folks.

110. Scungilli Slushy says:

Gret99zky:
    Tyler Benson last year.Yamamoto this year.

Oilers love the risky pick.

Hopefully they pan out, at least Benson was a second rounder.

111. Thinker says:

Could also give him an ironic nickname like Big Man. Just not Fat Man.

112. Scungilli Slushy says:

Thinker:

What are you referring to?

113. Scungilli Slushy says:

Gret99zky: So…his mother needs to grow 3 inches?

Smart ass 🙂

114. jp says:

Jaxon:
    They should draft his twin brother with their last pick.

Keanu Yamamoto (F) 72gp, 26g, 43a, 69pts, 54pim, -13

Not bad.

Except they aren’t twins. Keanu just turned 21.

Maybe they invite him to rookie camp and/or give him an AHL deal, but no need to draft this guy.

Listed as 5’9″ or 5’10” and 165 or 170lbs depending on the site, for what it’s worth.

115. frjohnk says:

Scungilli Slushy: I hope not. 5’9″ when drated.

This is the worry.

Tyler Ennis scouting report in 08. He was listed at 5 foot 9. 160 pounds. Was a late birthdate like Kailor. Scored 43 goals, 91 points in 70 games. Drafted 26th overall. Played 1 more in the WHL, 1 year in the AHL, then made the jump to the NHL

“An offensive dynamo with outstanding one-on-one skills. Has great speed, and knows how to utilize it. A player with a slight build, but not afraid of traffic. Ennis put up big big numbers this year, on an offensively challenged team. He has the kind of special offensive talents that all teams are looking for. Inspite of his lack of size, and because of the impact of small skilled players like Daniel Briere and others, may be able to fit in the ‘new’ NHL.”

116. The Trade Guy says:

A cool-assed pick y’all.

117. jonrmcleod says:

One thing I noticed about KY in his highlight video is that he’s got a good right shot one-timer on the PP.

118. JDI says:

Thinker: Just not Fat Man.

How about Ground Zero? Or Manhattan? Maybe Bockscar? Definitely not Enola Gay.

119. Diablo says:

Jaxon:
    They should draft his twin brother with their last pick.

Keanu Yamamoto (F) 72gp, 26g, 43a, 69pts, 54pim, -13

Not bad.

They are not twins.

Kailer – born Sept 9, 1998
    Keanu – born May 27, 1996

But the important thing to note is that Keanu is listed at 5’10” and 165 lbs. I wonder if he had a late growth spurt?

Edit – JP beat me to it.

120. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

frjohnk,

– What’s wrong with Tyler Ennis: 20 goal-scorer 3 times? We drafted 22nd.

121. Munny says:

Pretty much nicknamed himself The Ghost.

122. John Chambers says:

RexLibris:
    Quite pleased with this Kailer Yamamoto pick.

Skilled players are always of value.

As to people wondering about his nickname, this was discussed earlier.

Slick player, slides around the ice well, loves to score.

It’s KY, folks.

KY – he’s slippery like jelly

123. Southern Oil says:

So impressed with some of the knowledge that some posters (including LT) put into the draft. I myself don’t follow it that closely but love watching it every year. Why do I love this pick? For one, we are so short on talented forwards and from what I read, this guy really fills that whole. But a bigger reason for me – Japanese heritage!

Many moons ago, I lived in Japan off and on for 3 years. Love the place. I consulted my Kanji dictionary to make sure, but:
    – Yama = Mountain
    – Moto = Base, Foundation, Origin, Source, Beginning, (you get the idea)

Somewhere in there is a kickass nickname. Especially with Mountain given his size. I leave that to more imaginative folks.

124. Ice Sage says:

Was there a draft his year?
    Ok find a kid who thinks the game as fast as Connor.

OK. Check. WHen’s training camp?

125. NSmitty says:

^Here’s a compilation of all Yamamoto’s points this past season.

The skill is obvious, the willingness to get to the dirty areas is VERY good to see, and he seems to have a great hockey sense.

The thing that really jumped out to me though is his slapper/one-timer from the left faceoff circle. I did not expect to see someone his size with that kind of shot. It’s probably more a case of a very accurate slap-shot rather than a powerful one, but I’ve never heard a person complain about an accurate shot.

Very excited about this pick.

126. JDI says:

John Chambers: KY – he’s slippery like jelly

A great alternative to Going in Drai.

127. Blackwolf says:

JDI: A great alternative to Going in Drai.

Oh good lord

128. Scungilli Slushy says:

frjohnk: Tyler Ennis scouting report in 08.He was listed at 5 foot 9. 160 pounds.Was a late birthdate like Kailor.Scored 43 goals, 91 points in 70 games.Drafted 26th overall. Played 1 more in the WHL, 1 year in the AHL, then made the jump to the NHL

Did you look at the link? Are you saying he has worked out? For me that is not a successful first round pick. He hasn’t been significant and now he doesn’t contribute much at all.

The number one thing that caused the years in the desert was not getting significant players with first round picks. The Oilers wasted a lot in picking and trading.

Many Oiler picks in various rounds have looked like this talented kid. I have nothing against the young man, but if you want to know the future, look at the past. Longer than normal long shot.

Perhaps there was nobody left that compelted them, and the risk was worth it because other than one or two left he had much stronger numbers. As LT christened Pete he has the Riverboat in him.

129. JDI says:

Blackwolf: Oh good lord

Spoken like Ned Beatty in Deliverance.

130. NSmitty says:

NSmitty:

Watch the play at 8:38. My god. This kid is a player.

131. Edmonton_fan says:

If you look at the top-10 results for each combine test, you’ll see Yamamoto’s name come up several times—particularly in the agility and pure fitness tests.

He placed first in the (dreaded) VO2 Max Aerobic Fitness test and ranked third and fourth in the (equally daunting) Wingate Anaerobic Fitness peak power output and mean power output, respectively. He also finished second in Pro Agility (left and right), fourth in pull-ups (12) and wound up just outside the top 10 of bench press at 13th.

132. russ99 says:

NSmitty: Watch the play at 8:38. My god. This kid is a player.

Good lord. If he can do that vs. pros, we really are onto something.

133. leadfarmer says:

Learning some things today. Didn’t know people could only grow as tall as their mother and your twin brother can be two years older than you

134. Ice Sage says:

JDI: Spoken like Ned Beatty in Deliverance.

*squeal*

135. Ice Sage says:

russ99: Good lord. If he can do that vs. pros, we really are onto something.

Mikhnov alert… gawd I been around a long time

136. JDI says:

NSmitty: This kid is a player.

Great shot too. Wee weight.

137. JDI says:

Ice Sage: Mikhnov alert

Traktor vs weed whacker.

138. NSmitty says:

JDI,

I’m honestly shocked by how good his shot is.

139. Andy Dufresne says:

Scungilli Slushy,

“Perhaps there was nobody left that compelted them, and the risk was worth it because other than one or two left he had much stronger numbers.”

Actually Chia just did a radio interview and stated that they tried to make a trade to MOVE UP and take Yamamoto earlier but couldnt …….so theres that……

140. JDI says:

Caps sign 30 yr old Oshie to an 8 year, $46M contract.

141. Andy Dufresne says:

NSmitty,

I argued a lot when people raved about Yakupovs shot…..a good shot/shooter is someone who typically a) gets into position to score b) has a quick release c) is adept at changing the angle of his shot d) is accurate e) can get a shot off through traffic f) can one time a puck…..Yak was only good at about half of these…….Yamamoto looks to be good at most of these things…….

P.S. My dogs name is Frodo…BIG DOG…BIG PAWS….his nickname is FrodoMoto…
    P.S.S. Best nickname I ever came up with (IMHO) is/was changing Johnny Hockey to :”Jockey Hockey” you know….cause jockies are small……Its on my bucket list to take a Jockey Hockey sign to a Flames game with a picture of Monkey wearing a hockey helmet riding on the back of Sean Monohan

142. VOR says:

Jaxon,

I wrestled at 70 kg when I was 18 and was never had any problem making the weight. But hormones are a funny thing. At 22 I played college football (middle linebacker/cornerback) at 101kg and wrestled in the 97kg class and I struggled to get down to that. I am almost four inches taller than Yamamoto so the comparison probably isn’t fair. Still I expect he will get heavier and stronger. Maybe up to Marcel Dionne’s 185lbs (a fellow 5’8″ smurf).

143. leadfarmer says:

I can’t believe there is that many negative comments about this pick. He was top 10 in 5v5 pts per 60 and top 5 in primary points per 60 (Sam steel had a very good year but he was drafted last year and had a teammate with 130 pat) Sure it may not pan out but when you have the choice of taking the most skilled player in the draft you better take him.

144. Ribs says:

Hello, Moto.

145. Professor Q says:

Patrick Kane was 5’9″ and 160 lbs.

Not a fair comparison at all, but still a gleam of hope.

146. JDI says:

Ribs,

Yama HA!

147. frjohnk says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    frjohnk,

– What’s wrong with Tyler Ennis: 20 goal-scorer 3 times?We drafted 22nd.

Nothing, just trying to find some comparables. Ennis was good until the last couple of years. Injuries? IDK.

I love Kailers skill, and while I have time for smaller players, Kailer is damn small. Can he overcome the size disadvantage moving up the next two levels?

148. Blackwolf says:

JDI: Spoken like Ned Beatty in Deliverance.

Lol. There is something broken in you my friend.

149. VOR says:

Also, just in passing, Dionne’s birthday is August 3rd. Imagine how badly he would have been docked for that if he was draft eligible today.

Though possibly either the 143 points in the regular season or the 55 points in the playoffs might have been enough to overcome the prejudice against late birthdates.

150. Munny says:

JDI: Spoken like Ned Beatty in Deliverance.

I think you mean “squealed like…” 😉

151. Diablo says:

Andy Dufresne:
    NSmitty,

I completely concur.

We were having this discussion a few weeks back prior to the expansion draft.
    People here were suggesting that any RH shot could easily replace Letestu as the RH shooter on PP1.

I argued that people here really don’t understand how hard it is to one-time a puck CONSISTENTLY past NHL quality goaltending the way Letestu does. Its so much more than just having a hard shot … all of those elements you describe are necessary and most players don’t have em all.

Having played goalie competitively for 25 years, I can attest to the fact that almost always when a player tries to one time a shot they either (a) don’t have their body in an optimal position to get the shot off quickly with good wood on it, (b) don’t get it high enough to beat me blocker side (for a RH shooter in the Ovie spot), or my personal favourite (c) completely miss the net, which results in the puck ringing around the boards and out of the zone.

Being able to shoot the puck hard really has nothing to do with having a good one-timer … its more about accuracy and speed of release … the goalie knows its coming and is already planning to push off hard, go across the crease and block out the bottom of the net. For a moment the shooter has the opening 2 feet above the ice between the pad and the blocker … but only for a moment ,,, once the body gets there that hole is closed (which is why speed of release is so critical). Which only leaves the top corner … damn hard to hit that consistently from a one-timer when the the adrenaline is pumping … most players miss.

Love that Yamamoto can do this … that one skill alone can get him to the NHL.

152. Gerta Rauss says:

An emotional last 36 hours

I like the pick today

The other 2 transactions have me concerned

I can’t say for certain the team is worse today, but I’m unsure we’re any better than we were

We still need another D to play 2nd pair with Russell, and I’d like to see another RW (a veteran preferred on a short term deal)

153. digger50 says:

At a time when we really need a sure thing, we have a 50/50 bet here. It is oh so difficult for a smaller player to compete. Bigger players get better, generally hit thier curling later.

We just had a good look at David D who carved out a career through sheer determination. It can be done and he scored a big goal for us, but otherwise have no impact on the game.

I love the bet on Yamamoto, but wish it was not first rounder in a year we need a guaranteed player.

154. Thinker says:

If do right, no can defense.

155. Andy Dufresne says:

Gerta Rauss,

Justin Williams please on a one year deal.

156. VOR says:

Digger50,

Exactly.

157. Andy Dufresne says:

digger50,

what youre saying is interesting to me because I think Lowtide has sad the same thing about the overall importance of this pick…..yet at the same time I think he said he’d be pleased with Yamamoto at 22….but I could be wrong….

158. Thinker says:

4 – Fringe NHLer, 200+ NHL games
    3 – Very Good Minor Leaguer, 50-200 NHL games
    2 – Minor Leaguer, under 50 NHL games
    1 – 10 or fewer NHL games

159. Gerta Rauss says:

Andy Dufresne:

Justin Williams please on a one year deal.

Yes,something like that

Even if we sign Foo, we’re still thin on RW (assuming when Drai is 1RW Strome will be playing 3C)

Lots of promise on RW mind you, but I’d like a little more experience

160. Jaxon says:

WHL Draft Years Even Strength Primary Points / GP Leaders since 2004-2005 Season:

# Name P1/GP
    97 Landon Ferraro 0.43
    98 Prab Rai 0.42
    99 Jesse Gabrielle 0.42
    100 Braylon Shmyr 0.42

161. Scungilli Slushy says:

Edmonton_fan:

Man he has such a natural shot. His slap shot is so smooth and quick, I bet the kid can crush a golf ball.

From those clips he seems a cut above some of the other touted high picks. A lot of the tall guys clips showed them standing beside the net (20 lbs on the the D) putting the puck in the open side, everyone else setting it up, which didn’t impress me.

He has the tools to do it, especially with the athletic ability shown in the combine. Work hard young man.

162. ashley says:

A small percentage of men will grow significantly after their 18th birthday. If I could see an xray of his hand, I could tell you if he is one of those :). Otherwise we have to wait.

163. Jaxon says:

jp: Except they aren’t twins. Keanu just turned 21.

Good catch, I swear I read an article from a Spokane paper that called them twins.

164. Scungilli Slushy says:

ashley: Also, Gagner was drafted at 5’9″ 165lbs if I recall, and a few years later he came into camp at 5’10” 200 lbs. True story.

Porker 🙂

165. Scungilli Slushy says:

ashley:
    A small percentage of men will grow significantly after their 18th birthday.If I could see an xray of his hand, I could tell you if he is one of those :). Otherwise we have to wait.

Also, Gagner was drafted at 5’9″ 165lbs if I recall, and a few years later he came into camp at 5’10” 200 lbs.True story.

What’s the tell, curious.

166. Jaxon says:

Sorry for the long scroll comment above, but I had to include Nugent-Hopkins. It’s interesting that he was so low for Even strength primary points.

From the numbers above, I would say the closest comparisons are Nicolas Petan and Tyler Ennis. Tyler Johnson as well, except Johnson didn’t produce as much in his draft season. Johnson is also interesting as he learned to skate from Johnson’s mom.

167. digger50 says:

Andy Dufresne:
    digger50,

I look forward to further opinions on Yamamoto. Lt does like him as his list values offends above all else. Those numbers are good. Extremely important yet one dimensional.

Also sound advice was a good pick should have more than one way to make the club.

We just picked him, I not suggesting write him off. He’s high risk high return and I don’t like those odds, and I think a safer pick was the play. He scored well at the combine and is probably at his absolute peak. He will get stronger but he may not get much better, while those around him start to catch up.

What are your thoughts on him needing a top six spot? Must be play with skill to make it? Could he play bottom six?

168. bill needle says:

Scungilli Slushy:

This might be the dumbest statement ever made on this blog.

169. digger50 says:

Jaxon,

Great info

if he really can be a good player in the NHL then I would argue there is an elite talent in this draft and we got him, because to play at his size, that would be a rare accomplishment

170. Jaxon says:

Size and production comparables in the WHL since 2005:

# Name ES P1/GP
    1 Nicolas Petan 0.86
    3 Kailer Yamamoto 0.74
    10 Tyler Ennis 0.66
    40 Brendan Gallagher 0.54
    72 Rihards Bukarts 0.46
    73 Tyler Soy 0.46
    76 Ty Ronning 0.46
    Derek Ryan 0.38
    233 Tyler Johnson 0.3

I think science just proved that naming your kid Ty or Tyler is sure to stunt their growth.

171. digger50 says:

Thinker: There’s no such thing as a guarantee at 22. You basically get a very good minor league player ala Omark. Maybe Lander.

Average Rating: 3.81

5 – NHL Regular, 350+ NHL games
    4 – Fringe NHLer, 200+ NHL games
    3 – Very Good Minor Leaguer, 50-200 NHL games
    2 – Minor Leaguer, under 50 NHL games
    1 – 10 or fewer NHL games

172. bill needle says:

Yamamoto could become a power-play specialist that can play on the bottom six because the Oilers Top 6 looks pretty locked in if Puljujarvi follows through on his pedigree. Needs to play in the tough spots without getting hurt though.

173. OF17 says:

Sorry if this has been mentioned – I haven’t read the whole thread – but I loved Yamamoto’s answer when asked about his goals next season. He started with the team goal of winning the Memorial Cup and ended with the personal goal of leading the league in points. I’m sure there are lots of others whose goal is to win it all both personally and as a team, but it was refreshing to hear Kailer come out and say it. It was my first window into what Chiarelli called his “big heart.”

174. pocession charge says:

95Carter Ashton0.43
    96Mitch Wahl0.43
    97Landon Ferraro0.43
    98Prab Rai0.42
    99Jesse Gabrielle0.42
    100Braylon Shmyr0.42

That list of players is underwhelming to say the least*. Maybe the moral of the story is ‘shop Ontario’.

*except Leon (swoons)

175. pocession charge says:

digger50: With these odds in mind then, and a bunch of defenceman bouncing around, the play was to trade the pick and bring in a sure thing.

Or trade down for more picks. The prospect cupboard is pretty bare.

176. pocession charge says:

Scungilli Slushy: What’s the tell, curious.

She’s checking to see if Kailer has crossed the Epiphyseal Line.

177. VOR says:

Thinker,

Not to pick on you but the two best 22nds overall are Adam Foote, whose son Cal was chosen earlier tonight and Bryan Trottier.

Almost all scouts now include an evaluation of the risk involved in taking a player. The usual scale is from 0-5. A 0 is certain to play in the NHL. A five has not a hope in hell.

The consensus of a number of rating services was that Yamamoto was a 3.5.

On the other hand they also rate max up side on a similar scale. A zero would be given to a player who even if they make the NHL will be well below replacement level. A five is reserved for the Crosby’s and McDavids of the world.Yamamoto was tied for the highest upside in this draft at 4.5. Which simply means he has as much talent as anyone in this draft.

Cal Foote on the other hand had a risk value of 1.5 and a upside of 3.5.

Kole Lind who has yet to be picked has a risk value of 1.0 and an upside of 3.5.

Lind and Foote are far more likely to have NHL careers than Yamamoto based on a pooling of scouting information. [I am not sure how predictive these numbers are but I think they capture a well informed way of thinking that scouts and GMs ignore at their peril].

Now the Oilers GM is a very well known gambler so he took the player with the downside risk because the upside is so impressive. And I am fine with that. I think it is the core of his job to make decisions like this. But lets hope to hell he is right because the Oilers are bleeding asset value and need to stop the blood loss right now.

178. Munny says:

Eric Kroetch‏ @ejk1987 · 5h5 hours ago

Only two skaters in the 2017 @ISShockey Draft Guide with Skating rating at “Elite”. Makar & Yamamoto are both. @EdmontonOilers @Avalanche

(ISS Amateur Scout)

Love the pick. Had him at No. 11, thrilled he was available and MORE thrilled the Oilers stepped up.

180. dustrock says:

Yes the math loved him. When I saw Blue Bullet’s math loved him I was sold.

It was not a typical Chiarelli pick and kudos for that.

181. Professor Q says:

Munny:
    Eric Kroetch‏ @ejk1987 · 5h5 hours ago

(ISS Amateur Scout)

Any way Chia could pull out a trade for Makar, too? 😉

182. hunter1909 says:

This reminds me of when Sather used to draft players randomly, secure in the knowledge he had all the superstars he’d ever need, and could always trade for any player he liked.

In other words, a completely wasted draft pick. 5’7″ and 146 pounds LOL puleeeeese…

183. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: MORE thrilled the Oilers stepped up.

Yeah…like they “stepped up” to select Rob Schremp back in the day.

184. trencan says:

I hope we will have a chance to draft some of these kids today:

Conor Timmins
    Isaac Ratcliffe
    Kole Lind
    Nikita A. Popugayev
    Maxime Comtois
    Ivan Lodnia
    Matthew Strome
    Jack Studnicka
    Ostap Safin
    Jonah Gadjovich
    Adam Ruzicka
    Michael DiPietro
    Michael Pastujov

Probably most of them will be not available before our first pick in 3rd round…

185. trencan says:

Based on the number of draft pick in first round I think Toronto and Nashville did well. I also like Yamamoto… Welcome to Oilers kid…

186. RedNed says:

I’ve always been a fan of the little guys, like what I hear of KY.

For a nick, I’m not sure if am missing something due the accent, but given his first name what about ‘Killer’? Especially if he can snipe…