JAIL GUITAR DOORS

The Edmonton Oilers approach free agency with about six million to spend, plus whatever they feel comfortable risking on the Andrej Sekera LTIR move. That’s one big contract or two smaller items. Where to shop? I think RHD is the primary need but there’s not much out there. Trade? Unless the Oilers are willing to deal Nuge, I can’t see it. Until the deadline, this may be us.

CURRENT PROJECTED ROSTER

• I’ve tweaked the cap number based on ‘reasonable’ expectations for the bonus money, which I have set at $4 million. That covers all of McDavid and some of the other group but not more than half of any of the players eligible (JP, Nurse, Benning, Caggiula, Slepyshev).
  • I have Sekera here, Edmonton could LTIR if they get to the cap without bonuses but it’s a stick wicket since McDavid is likely to max the max. Let’s say $6 million in walking around money for a RHD and C-RW.

FORWARDS (FREE AGENTS)

1. R Sam Gagner FREE AGENT (81gp, 18-32-50). EV numbers are good too.
  2. LC Martin Hanzal FREE AGENT (71gp, 20-19-39). Everybody loves Hanzal.
  3. L Patrick Marleau FREE AGENT. (82gp, 27-19-46). Knows the coach.
  4. R Radim Vrbata FREE AGENT (81gp, 20-35-55). Scorer.
  5. R Justin Williams FREE AGENT (80gp, 24-24-48). Luxury.
  6. LC Nick Bonino FREE AGENT (80gp, 18-19-37). Two-way C.
  7. LC Joe Thornton FREE AGENT (79gp, 7-43-50). Love to see it, seems doubtful.
  8. R Drew Stafford FREE AGENT (58gp, 8-13-21). Chiarelli type.
  9. R-L Thomas Vanek FREE AGENT (68gp, 17-31-48). Offensive option.
  10. R Jordan Weal FREE AGENT (23gp, 8-4-12). Not a lock for Philly?
  11. R Jarome Iginla FREE AGENT (80gp, 14-13-27). He can still shoot the puck.
  12. R Jaromir Jagr FREE AGENT (82gp, 16-30-46). Now 70, still going.
  13. R Kris Versteeg FREE AGENT (69gp, 15-22-37). What he brings has value.
  14. R Ales Hemsky FREE AGENT (15gp, 4-3-7). Still brilliantly creative.
  15. R Tyler Pitlick FREE AGENT (31gp, 8-3-11). Finally emerged, could return.
  16. R P-A Parenteau FREE AGENT (67gp, 13-15-28). Can still score.
  17. LC Dominic Moore FREE AGENT (82gp, 11-14-25). PK and FO option.
  18. LC Brian Boyle FREE AGENT (75gp, 13-12-25). He is on their list.
  19. L Patrick Sharp FREE AGENT (48gp, 8-10-18). Depending on health and price.
  20. R Alex Chiasson FREE AGENT (81gp, 12-12-24). Has some value.
  21. LC Mikhail Grigorenko FREE AGENT (75gp, 10-13-23). Good faceoff man.

I added Weal to the list, rumors have him heading out west (after early rumor had him staying in the east). Several fascinating RFA’s weren’t qualified so that group increases the overall number available. I like Tyler Pitlick a lot, Ales Hemsky too, but suspect we’ll see a Drew Stafford over either of them. Chiarelli has no problem with the aged, so Jarome or even Shane Doan (not listed) could end up in Edmonton.

I’ve decided Sam Gagner is the best investment for the group. He can play depth RW, help on the power play and perhaps move up as needed. He shouldn’t cost a ton.

DEFENSE (FREE AGENTS)

1. RD Cody Franson FREE AGENT (68GP, 3-16-19). Out of the blue and into the black.
  2. RD Kevin Shattenkirk FREE AGENT (80gp, 13-43-56). One year at big coin?
  3. LD Brian Campbell FREE AGENT (80gp, 5-12-17). The man can still wheel.
  4. RD Christian Folin FREE AGENT (51gp, 2-6-8). New free agent arrival.
  5. RD Michael Stone FREE AGENT (64gp, 3-12-15). May be some interest.
  6. RD Eric Gryba FREE AGENT (40gp, 2-4-6). Good chance he returns.
  7. LD Jordan Oesterle FREE AGENT (2gp, 0-0-0). I like him as a 7D option.
  8. RD Dennis Wideman FREE AGENT (57gp, 5-13-18). Going to the end of the line.
  9. RD Adam Clendening FREE AGENT (31gp, 2-9-11). Still hanging around.

Cody Franson makes it all the way to No. 1 on my list. I also added Folin and Clendening and made the Wideman portion of summer official. MSM seems to be thinking Eric Gryba is a lock, suspect that’s true. After that, PC has to decide whether or no Mark Fayne projects as an NHL option. If not, we could see two of these names added. Don’t forget college man like Teemu Kivihalme, that could be a hidden option. Matt Benning arrived in the NHL last fall and doubt he’ll be leaving for a long time.

Bruce wrote a wonderful piece on Coach Drake here, recommended reading. A legendary figure, he touched so many lives in a positive way and this letter is simply breathtaking. If you can make that much of a difference (as above) in one person’s life you are exceptional. To do it over many decades is something else again.

CODY FRANSON

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.88 (1st among regular Sabres defensemen)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 1.22 (two points in 98 minutes)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 50.9
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: 5.0
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 47.0
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: 4.8 (31 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 93 shots/3.2%
  • Boxcars: 68gp, 3-16-19
  • (All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)
  • Special thanks to GMoney and Woodguy for sharing the DFF’s

Cody Franson, as of now, is the No. 1 free agent on my board for the Edmonton Oilers. I know he is not a grand skater and there is some chaos to his game. I understand his power-play numbers weren’t terrific last season and I get that Edmonton may have him as 7D once Andrej Sekera returns. All that understood, he’s the best available fit. I’ll go even farther than that, Cody Franson is a good fit for the Oilers at this time.

SPENCER FOO

If your son is a young college hockey player with tough decisions ahead of him, the last six months of Spencer Foo’s career offer some really good insight. Faced with returning to a Union College team on the downswing due to graduation, Foo would have been something of a Stone Alone on the squad. His boxcars may have suffered and his value as a pro prospect eroded. As it is, he waited until after free agency to find the right spot and that’s ideal for him. Is that spot Edmonton? Don’t know. If we assume that one of Draisaitl/Strome will be 1R and that Zack Kassian will hold down another spot, it means two positions are open on the roster at this time. Here are the NHLE’s of candidates who spent time outside of the NHL last year.

1. Anton Slepyshev (AHL) 43
  2. Jesse Puljujarvi (AHL) 31
  3. Spencer Foo (ECAC) 31
  4. Greg Chase (AHL) 13
  5. Patrick Russell (AHL) 10

For the Oilers, part of the appeal might be to have the option of sending Jesse Puljujarvi to Bakersfield. It burns off the bonus money and gives the big Finn another (say) half season to develop. Drake Caggiula may also slide into a RW job so there are plenty of options. I do think we’ll see a free agent added somewhere along the way.

THE DRAFT ANALYST AND EDMONTON’S DRAFT

Steve Kournianos and the folks at The Draft Analyst do the most exhaustive work on each year’s entry draft. It gives us some unique opportunities, including access to an actual mountain of prospects for each year’s selection. Here’s Edmonton’s list and how TDA ranked them.

• No. 22 Kailer Yamamoto (DA No. 16)
  • No. 78 Stuart Skinner (DA No. 9 goalie)
  • No. 84 Dmitri Samorukov (DA No. 65)
  • No. 115 Ostap Safin (DA No. 56)
  • No. 146 Kirill Maksimov (DA No. 178)
  • No. 177 Skyler Brind’Amour (DA No. 146)
  • No. 208 Phil Kemp (DA No. 168)
  • Source
  • Goalie Source

Steve will join me on the Lowdown this morning to discuss the Oilers’ draft. That’s three (Bob McKenzie, Craig Button) lists so far that have Edmonton’s draft showing well.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning, full boat and lots to discuss. TSN1260 beginning at 10, scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation. Eberle gone, Russell back, are the Oilers done?
  • Derek Taylor, TSN. CFL Week One, Ricky Ray timeless, Eskimos raunchy!
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. Oilers moves, Leafs non-moves, Flames blue moves.
  • Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst. We look at the Oilers draft as well as some other astute draft boards.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

111 Responses to "JAIL GUITAR DOORS"

1. Hall Awaits says:

I think people need to be prepared for a very unsexy free agency. I’m thinking Iginla, Gryba and maybe even Girardi (GM PC has a history of liking this player).

But then again he could trade Nuge for Faulk and sign Hanzal. What the hell do I know.

2. Melman says:

If Fayne could hold the fort as solid 3RD with some PK until Sekera gets back that would be the best solution barring a significant add. Wonder how a guy in his position approaches the summer. He’s young enough that you’d think he wants to keep playing after this contract and sees the roster as it stands as a window to show he wares to the rest of the league.

It seems though that the coach has closed his mind to the possibility.

Hall Awaits:

I think this is exactly it. We could be meh and we could see Leon traded for Parayko.

4. TO10801 says:

I think we are looking at a fairly quiet free agency period, but I’m thinking based on the rumours Marleau (Stauffer yesterday) and Gryba could be all that is done. Marleau could replace Eberle’s production and should be cheaper and then you have to survive without Sekera for the first 3 months. If the D doesn’t hold up maybe we see an early trade to shore it up.

5. Richard S.S. says:

Benoit Pouliot is a good player who needs to consistently be better. I don’t think that’s a reasonable expectation. Right now he’s signed for two years – one year too many. Unfortunately when he should be moved, he has insignificant trade value. Las Vegas might be a trade partner. What do they have that Peter Chiarelli might accept? What do we need to include to do this? Clearing Cap Space for the 2018/19 Season must start now.

6. Ducey says:

LT

Just noticed that the amount that comes off when a player is buried in the minors increased this year, per Capgeek as the minimum salary increased to $650,000.

Its now $650,000 + $375,000 = $1,025,000

This could free up some extra cap room

They could send Fayne and Pouliot to the minors along with Pak and that is an extra $2.775 Million.

7. Ribs says:

2. LC Martin Hanzal FREE AGENT (71gp, 20-19-39). Everybody loves Hanzal.

Pretty safe to say he won’t be signing in Minnesota!

8. McNuge93 says:

Richard S.S.:
    Benoit Pouliot is a good player who needs to consistently be better.I don’t think that’s a reasonable expectation.Right now he’s signed for two years – one year too many. Unfortunately when he should be moved, he has insignificant trade value.Las Vegas might be a trade partner. What do they have that Peter Chiarelli might accept?What do we need to include to do this? Clearing Cap Space for the 2018/19 Season must start now.

9. Truth says:

Ribs: Well, maybe not everybody… http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/minnesota-wild-owner-wishes-team-didnt-make-martin-hanzal-trade/

Pretty safe to say he won’t be signing in Minnesota!

To me, that’s the owner wishing he still had the first and second round pick than to have won only a single playoff game with Hanzal. I think the Wild should have used their exclusive negotiating rights to try to extend him. There’s no doubt he’s a valuable player. The wild just simply stained the sheets at the end of the year.

10. Brantford Boy says:

I have mixed feelings about most of the UFA forwards list… some players seem like a good match:
    (player, age, salary – source google)
    Stafford 31, 1 million
    Boyle 32, 2 million
    Vrbata 36, 1 million
    Marleau 37, 6 million

So I see Stafford and Vrbata as possibles for a 1 year deal (~< 2m per). Boyle is in high demand and you can't ignore Marleau's past (recent season included) and think they will both want more than 1 year contracts. 3.5m x 2 for Boyle? 6m x 1 for Marleau (how much of a bargain do you believe he takes on a 1 year if not 2)?

Most times I frown on the thought of Shattenkirk, but if you are even thinking of Marleau then Shattenkirk must be in the mix for a high pay season (6.5m x 1).

Unless another shoe drops (ie: Nuge) I don't see big game hunting (Hanzal, Faulk – not UFA) happening during the offseason. With the contract Chiarelli got Kassian signed to he is obviously thinking 'value'. I think Boyle is about the line in the sand for 'high end value'.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

While there may be apx $6M to play with for the the coming season, subject to material cap increase, we don’t really have the room in the coming season. Yes, some contracts come off the books after this season but we have many RFAs that will need to be re-signed at raises including McDavid.

We could spend that $6M but I’d be hesitant to add anything over a one-year term and, frankly, it will be tough to get any significant player on a one-year term.

For example, is Patty M. going to come to Edmonton on a one year deal?

12. dustrock says:

I mentioned this in the last night thread this morning, reposting here.

This is from HFB, but the guy posted his sources to the mods and they approved, so this is what he said:

[i]Oilers free agency targets are Sam Gagner, Brian Boyle, Micheal Stone, and Patrick Marleau. Was told theyll only take Marleau on a one year deal though. Have inside info that I’ve already confirmed to mods in the past before you start questioning me lol.

I asked:

Originally Posted by dustrock View Post

Any trade targets?

I was told there looking free agency route. And on Marleau, they like the idea of him with RNH.[/i]

13. dustrock says:

So looks like LT has some of the same hard targets identified, and incidentally, I checked Treenasoil’s Twitters timeline and it mentioned Gagner, Marleau and Stone for sure.

Maybe we’re all identifying the most reasonable targets and that’s all this is, but it’s at least consistent.

Not hugely surprised at hearing Chia is looking at free agency. Guessing he mostly likes this roster and doesn’t want to shake it up too much.

14. Cassandra says:

I also like the idea of signing Jordan Weal. It’s only 23 games, but those were 23 very effective games in Philadelphia. By any measures, over those 23 games , he was an excellent player. He has a track record of being a top scorer in junior and the AHL. And because it is only 23 games, he isn’t going to cost anything.

This is the kind of low cost smart move that Chiarelli should be doing. Just like he should have traded a second round pick for Van Riemsdyk.

15. Oilin4 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    While there may be apx $6M to play with for the the coming season, subject to material cap increase, we don’t really have the room in the coming season.Yes, some contracts come off the books after this season but we have many RFAs that will need to be re-signed at raises including McDavid.

For example, is Patty M. going to come to Edmonton on a one year deal?

Agreed. Using those $6M on a multi-year deal is the final straw on Nuge getting traded. Expect a slowly accelerating run-Nuge-out-of-town train to develop amongst professional writers who need to fill column space, and only know two ways to do it. 1. Run players out of town. 2. Lament about the old days when goalies stunk and everyone punched each other senseless when they were bored or angry.

16. Richard S.S. says:

McNuge93: How about Pouliot for either Emelin or Sbisa.. Would Vegas do that? They both have one year remaining rather than two for Pouliot.

I think Vegas would trade anyone for anyone if the price is right. I just don’t know what price P.C. is willing to pay.

17. Truth says:

dustrock:

My meaningless opinions:

Boyle would be great. I have the feeling he’s testing the market and circling back to Toronto with their option to match. Marleau would also be great, but I think his price and term take the Oilers out of it. Gagner will cash in on his deserved paycheck and term that the Oilers cant offer IMO. Stone is meh to me.

I think trying to pry RD Colin Miller out of Vegas should be option #1, especially if he’s considered a lesser player than Methot at that price point.

18. OilSafety says:

Truth: My meaningless opinions:

Boyle would be great. I have the feeling he’s testing the market and circling back to Toronto with their option to match. Marleau would also be great, but I think his price and term take the Oilers out of it.Gagner will cash in on his deserved paycheck and term that the Oilers cant offer IMO.Stone is meh to me.

Pouliot for Miller would be something I could live with.

I still think the best move is Nuge for Faulk and sign Hanzel, but if I know anything, its that Chia isnt going to do what we expect or think is ideal.

That being said, I have faith in him to continue to build a winner.

19. Snowman says:

Ok I’m officially all in on Marleau. Would love that.

Come to Edmonton, score a bucket of goals, maybe take a deep run at the cup with your old Coach Todd. Sure its only one year but you’ll get to play with Connor, Leon or Nuge so you should get plenty of goals to use to sign another contract next summer.

Marleau to mentor. Marleau to score. Marleau for the cup. What’s not to like?

20. Oddspell says:

dustrock,

That would be a successful off season in my opinion. I assume Gagner is a backup target for Marleau, or we’re planning to move someone out.

I wonder if Gagner could be a good fit for McDavid?

21. jp says:

That nomination letter for Claire Drake is pretty moving.

I’m not from Alberta and don’t know all that much about the man. Honestly most of what I know is probably from LT and the posters on this site. Sounds like he’s a worthy inductee who’s touched a lot of peoples lives in meaningful ways.

22. Dominoiler says:

I prefer Pitlick to Gagner; lower cap hit, better speed, more grit, will go to the dirty areas.. i don’t see gagner helping much in the bottom 6 (does anyone expect that 4th line to score?.. i dunno about letestu 5v5) or the pk, which is a greater need than pp specialist (letestu, nuge, drai, McD, strome in as other rh shot).. slow n soft, feasting on the soft underbelly, are traits better utilised in the regular season than the playoffs..

23. Dominoiler says:

PS.. i could see marleau coming on a 1-year.. man wants a championship, familiarity and respect for coach, simple as that.. he’s made his money, plus he can maximise a single years profit.. no way he gets 6+ on a multi year deal..

24. hodgkins says:

Cassandra:
    The idea of Sam Gagner signing with the Oilers is delicious.That way, the fanbase can run him out of town twice, thus saving Klefbom for an extra year or two.

I also like the idea of signing Jordan Weal.It’s only 23 games, but those were 23 very effective games in Philadelphia.By any measures, over those 23 games , he was an excellent player.He has a track record of being a top scorer in junior and the AHL.And because it is only 23 games, he isn’t going to cost anything.

This is the kind of low cost smart move that Chiarelli should be doing.Just like he should have traded a second round pick for Van Riemsdyk.

Hi Art!

Funny thing about getting Jordan Weal would be that he’d be the 4th member of the 2010 Regina Pats to suit up for the Oilers, like Ebs, Teubert and Davidson before him.

25. franksterra says:

Marleau may want more stability than 1yr, he has 4 young kids and that’s a lot of moving around. But I love the idea of hum coming here in theory.

26. Side says:

Cassandra:

Troll.

27. geowal says:

Has this free agency negotiating window opened yet? I think this is the time when some UFAs sign with their old team, once they know there’s nothing enticing enough around the league.

28. Ducey says:

Not keen on Gagner. I can’t see the point of having Strome and Gagner on the team. They seem to occupy the same role.

Not keen on Marleau either. I have not looked at the numbers but I would think they would be influenced by Jumbo Joe. Plus he is 37. He will fall off a cliff at some point, it might be this year.

Maybe I am counting on Slepy too much, but I like the depth on RW.

29. geowal says:

Side: Troll.

30. Acumen says:

Any reason Brett Connolly doesn’t make the cut? Not qualified by the Caps and he seems like a great fit at a low price point. Chiarelli has traded for him before as well.

31. OilersFuture says:

Acumen:

32. Evilas says:

Possible 6-7 RHD targets: Collin Miller, Paul Postma, Taylor Fedun.

Thoughts?

33. Pouzar says:

Interesting. Beau Bennett not tendered a QO with the Devils.

34. Scungilli Slushy says:

Cassandra: The idea of Sam Gagner signing with the Oilers is delicious. That way, the fanbase can run him out of town twice, thus saving Klefbom for an extra year or two.

Players face criticism at times in every sport on every team, comes with the turf. Mcdavid will see it with his contract unless he can perform at a very high level all of the time. No games off or slumps allowed at 14M. Imagine the hullabaloo if he’s not the highest scoring player on the team in next year’s playoffs, even if it’s because he’s being targeted which helps the others out.

35. Scungilli Slushy says:

Scungilli Slushy: I wonder if it’s the fanbase ‘running players out of town’ or the previous regime putting the word out about their dislikes and the average fans (who follow whatever the MSM line is because they aren’t into analyzing the game like we do here) just picking it up.

The current regime is much quieter about things, they just sort of disappear the guys they don’t like.

36. TO10801 says:

Pouzar:
    Interesting. Beau Bennett not tendered a QO with the Devils.

He would be a nice depth piece to compete with Kassian/Sleppy for a bottom 6 role

37. Professor Q says:

geowal:

As far as I know, the negotiation (well, “interview”, but we all know money is probably being discussed) window began on Sunday, and runs until June 30.

38. Professor Q says:

Also, McDavid sort of looks like Luc Robitaille in that photo.

39. Glass says:

Marleau or Weal would be great pick-ups… an alternative option for 3C would be great. Trading for Colin Miller wouldn’t be bad also… I wouldn’t be willing to give up a 2nd though as 2018 is supposed to be a strong draft.

However, Dallas traded their 2020 2nd so I don’t think I’d mind trading 2019’s for example.

Edit: Thought that Miller would slide into the top 4. I’d send over Fayne + a 3rd… SOMETHING CHIA

40. Side says:

geowal: I for one agree it’s perfectly likely Gagner would be met with a certain amount of disgust by a wide margin of the fan base. Not deservedly so, but it would happen.

I highlighted Cassandra’s section specifically about Klefbom being the next target to get run out of town.

There is absolutely no evidence to support this. But yet, Cassandra just trolls away.

41. Bruce McCurdy says:

jp:
    That nomination letter for Claire Drake is pretty moving.

Thanks, JP. And also to LT for that section in this post. The linked article by me lists snippets of the 33 testimonial letters that supported a serious effort to get Coach Drake into the Hall back in 2011. Among them a large number of “career coaches”, a whole shitload of them who coached in CIS Canada West. Among his disciples, current NHL coaches Mike Babcock, Ken Hitchcock, Barry Trotz, and you’ll recognize the names of “lifers” like Tom Renney, Dave King, George Kingston, Gerry Fleming, Billy Moores, Perry Pearn… pretty much the whole famdamily of Hockey Canada coaches over these decades of dominance. Including two time women’s Olympic champion coach Melody Davidson.

Then there were the letters from doctors (Randy Gregg, Dave Otto), lawyers (Ed Molstad, Jim Carr), judges (Allan Wachowich), parliamentarians (Chief Wilton Littlechild), people who went on to be successful in life and bolster our community. Coach Drake’s legacy is immeasurable, but immense.

42. McSorley33 says:

We just got finished watching Western Conference playoff hockey where some members of the Ducks stopped just short of jumping off the top turnbuckle and grabbing a chair an slamming on McDavid’s head.

After watching that, yeah , yeah, we need Sweet Sammy Gagner.

Sammy would be like a fish in water for Western Conference Playoff hockey.

Melman:

It seems though that the coach has closed his mind to the possibility.

“My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

Is that Mr. Darcy speaking, or #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach?

#TheWrathofTMC Fayne, Pouliot, Lander, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Reinhart, etc

Run for your life RNH! -).

44. Bruce McCurdy says:

Evilas:
    Possible 6-7 RHD targets: Collin Miller, Paul Postma, Taylor Fedun.

Thoughts?

Miller has been mentioned often here. I’ve been looking at Postma, a righty who has been absolutely buried in the ‘peg behind the Byfuglien-Myers-Trouba troika. He scored 1.22 P/60 last year, but only 11 minutes a night, may be a sample size thing as his assists were out of character.

Still, he’s 28 years old, 6’3’, fairly mobile, closing in on 200 NHL games & did I mention he’s a righty? Has never made as much as a million bucks so won’t cost the ☀️ 🌙 & ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️.

As for Fedun, I’m rooting for him hard but he is 29 & has been cast adrift by 4 NHL teams now (3 of them shitty ones) with under 40 combined GP. I fear the die is cast.

Ron Hainsey is the best option for a Sekera stopgap.

46. npanciroli says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Wow, just looked up Postma’s numbers. Looks like a good 6/7 D add. Solid possession numbers too at first glance.

47. jake70 says:

McSorley33:

After watching that, yeah , yeah, we need Sweet Sammy Gagner.

Sammy would be like a fish in water for Western Conference Playoff hockey.

Having audio flashbacks to the beautiful voice of Cliff Clavin……..;-)

48. doritogrande says:

He’s earned only 11 minutes a night unfortunately. I had high hopes for him in Winnipeg but cannot be trusted with anything other than a 6/7 role. When Trouba was holding out and Myers injured, they chose to play the life out of Byfuglien instead of increasing Postma’s role, which to me is a tell. The only reason he wasn’t bumped further is Winnipeg’s lack of depth D. Once you get past their top-5 of Buff, Myers, Trouba, Enstrom and now Morrissey, they’re in a world of hurt.

49. Snowman says:

McSorley33:

After watching that, yeah , yeah, we need Sweet Sammy Gagner.

Sammy would be like a fish in water for Western Conference Playoff hockey.

I get your point here but Marleau can still skate and Samwise problem wasn’t his truculence. It was his D zone coverage. #alsointhepicture

50. Pouzar says:

McSorley33: So, league is getting younger and faster…..and people want a soon to be 38 rear old winger in Marleau….

Marleau is still plenty fast and scored 27 goals last year, 25 before that and has played 82 gms for 4 straight. What’s not to like?

51. theres oil in virginia says:

Bruce McCurdy:so won’t cost the ☀️ 🌙 & ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Very nice!

52. Profit says:

Pouzar: Marleauis still plenty fast and scored 27 goals last year, 25 before that and has played 82 gms for 4 straight. What’s not to like?

Not much.

I have always thought that for the Oilers to win the cup they need a couple of grey beards playing down roster on relative value priced deals. I had thought Joe was a bigger potential than Marleau but it looks like Jumbo is set on staying in SJ.

I can see it being attractive for Marleau – one year deal, play on the third line (or bump to the second if injuries), some PP time, some McD time and a realistic cup run potential. If he wants a cup he needs to go full mercenary now (not in 3 years when the wheels will be completely off), so this concept has some legs. I doubt he realistically thinks the Sharks have a big window here for a cup.

And he can certainly add value to the Oilers, no questions.

PS – I’m almost the exact same age as Marleau and Thornton, and still in good shape. The wheels are still on, but in 3 years? Yowza.

53. vinotintazo says:

Gryba signed! 2 years 900K AAV.

54. serum114 says:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 56s56 seconds ago

Eric Gryba has agreed to terms with EDM on a two-year deal with an AAV of $900K.

I am happy with that to be sure. He’s an ideal 7th D: RH, physical, knows the team/system.

55. stush18 says:

I read that Colorado wouldn’t be offering grigorenko a qualifying offer. Stupid if you ask me.

Was 55% on draws last year. Seems his biggest complaint is the AVSwerent willing to play him at centre because they thought he was too slow.

I would sign him.

Also give Weal a shot, and Postma a chance.

Maroon-mcdavid-grig
    Lucic-drai-slepy
    Pou-nuge-strome
    Khaira-letestu-slepy
    Weal-pak

Klefbom-larsson
    Russel-benning
    Nurse-postma
    Gryba

56. stush18 says:

serum114:
    Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie56s56 seconds ago

Wow that’s awesome. Good deal, great guy.

57. Jordan says:

serum114:
    Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie56s56 seconds ago

I’m okay with this deal for Gryba. Think he’s a good fit. Dollars are fine for what he brings, considering the time he often spends sitting and being bounced in and out of the lineup.

Also like the persona we see of Gryba – seems like a good person. Love guys like that on my team. Also – great beard.

58. stush18 says:

Also, there is a lot of complaining about chiarelli, but he has been signing new guys to astute deals.

We’ll wait to see how the mcdavid contract plays out, but anything under 12 is a steal imo. Drai is the one that we need to be concerned about.

Every other signing looks like a good bargain to me.

59. stush18 says:

JUst had a thought.

What if nuge+ is dealt for say Faulk, and grigorenko is signed as our 3c to grow with the team.

60. rickithebear says:

Evilas:
    Possible 6-7 RHD targets: Collin Miller, Paul Postma, Taylor Fedun.

Thoughts?

Coln Miller a tp 45 H Dman is a no time below top 4.
    Poliot!
    Really!

61. OilFire says:

Bruce McCurdy:

I used to rent a basement room in Ed Molstad’s parent’s house. 3 generations of that family played for the Eskimos. Ed’s dad, Howie, used to play the sax in the band at the Eskies halftime show. Post WW II, Howie once scammed a royalty sweet in Mexico by claiming to be the “president of Alberta.”

62. Ducey says:

stush18:
    JUst had a thought.

And Leon has not shown he is the 2C longterm. Nuge is the safety there.

If you replace Nuge with Grigorenko the Oilers take a massive hit.

Grigorenko is a bust who has not done anything since junior. I have no problem with taking a flyer on a big player with tools and pedigree who looks like he was mishandled by BUF and then was on a terrible COL team. But he should not be counted on and should be given AHL time/ bottom six roles until he shows he can turn it around.

He would be a Pitlick replacement, with higher upside.

63. Ducey says:

Oh, and great news on Gryba. He is no Martin Marincin, but I like him.

64. rickithebear says:

stush18:
    JUst had a thought.

Justin Faulk is one of the 10 worst HD Dmen in the league.

He generates Even offence at .79 EVP/60
    equal to #394 Forward pace right there with Mclement; Lazar; Thorburn.

Pb offence and Press box Defence!

Good Choice!

65. McNuge93 says:

Ducey: Nuge is key. He plays the toughs and still puts up offense. He is a darn good player.

And Leon has not shown he is the 2C longterm. Nuge is the safety there.

If you replace Nuge with Grigorenko the Oilers take a massive hit.

Grigorenko is a bust who has not done anything since junior. I have no problem with taking a flyer on a big player with tools and pedigree who looks like he was mishandled by BUF and then was on a terrible COL team. But he should not be counted on and shouldbe given AHL time/ bottom six roles until he shows he can turn it around.

He would be a Pitlick replacement, with higher upside.

We’ve had a bad experience with Russian busts so my vote is no way. I’d rather have Pitlick.

And trading Nuge now doesn’t make sense, we actually have some depth. I think the rule is we only trade one Steve Austin per year.

66. Tapdog says:

Acumen:

He signed a two year deal yesterday for 3 mill.

67. vinotintazo says:

why are we not signing Pitlick yet?

68. northof51 says:

rickithebear: Justin Faulk is one of the 10 worst HD Dmen in the league.

He generates Even offence at .79 EVP/60
    equal to #394 Forward pace right there with Mclement; Lazar; Thorburn.

Pb offence and Press box Defence!

Good Choice!

69. Pouzar says:

vinotintazo:
    why are we not signing Pitlick yet?

They are talking so it could happen soon. I hope so.

70. rickithebear says:

Ron Hainsey:
    A quality HD anchor Dman.

15-16 to 16-17

W/ Bellimore 1.82
    W/ Liles 1.69
    W/ Sekera 1.45
    W/ Jordon 1.41

Yes please to Hainsey!

71. Richard S.S. says:

When Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is traded it will be for a young, very talented player still on the ELC or in a Bridge Contract, but basically under 24 years of age because that’s what Chiarelli’s after. But mark my words, Ryan Nugent- Hopkins will be traded, relatively soon, just not this year. This Oilers will be facing the same Cap problems that Chicago and Pittsburgh now face soon enough.

72. Cassandra says:

northof51: Curious (for real), who would be the “all-Ricki” team defense, based on your HDSCA numbers? (NHL wide, not just possible targets for the Oilers)

The Las Vegas defense + Fistric.

Not kidding.

Ricki only likes defensive defenders but still hasn’t realized that if you measure defenders by GA what you are really measuring is quality of competition and goaltending.

He hates offensive defensemen because he doesn’t understand the concepts of opportunity and marginal gain, and hence evaluates the scoring of defense and wingers on the same scale.

He also doesn’t understand things like sample sizes and significant digits.

73. Blackwolf says:

Ducey,

Except that huge hasn’t been putting up the points or being tremendously effective shutting down tough comp.
    Love the player, wonder if it’s the systems or maybe still something with his hand.

74. Stanley says:

Richard S.S.,

I really don’t see any evidence that trading Nuge would get us anything more than the return we got for Eberle.

I think Oilers fans over value their players………. until we turn on them & run them out of town.

75. dustrock says:

Apparently Zadorov could return to KHL if his camp and Colorado can’t come to terms on new contract.

Worth looking into at all?

76. Chachi says:

Cassandra: The Las Vegas defense + Fistric.

Not kidding.

He also doesn’t understand things like sample sizes and significant digits.

First of all, what do you expect from an actual bear? It is a miracle he can type anything at all!
    Finally, I am guessing there is one significant digit he would be happy to share with you.

77. Ducey says:

Capfriendly say that Russell’s NTC in year 3 is a ten team no trade list, in year 4 its 15 teams he may reject.

So in year three it should not be that hard to trade him.

78. Nuclear leak says:

If Nuge is dealt who is the C that going to play 42% of his time with the opposing elites… certainly not a C brought in to grow with the team.. both 29 and 97 #’s will be severely impacted

79. Nuclear leak says:

Stanley:
    Richard S.S.,

Nuge saws off elite competition playing the middle of the ice, there’s always more value for that over a one dimensional winger.

80. frjohnk says:

Cassandra: The Las Vegas defense + Fistric.

Not kidding.

He also doesn’t understand things like sample sizes and significant digits.

Ricki would hate player A as he leaves the barn door open.

Player A, B, C play same style, bring same offense but these are the “against” metrics. Player A is the oldest, Player B is 1 year younger than player A, player C is 2 years younger than A.

CA/60
    Player A 56.17 (111th best numbers when using 500 minutes 5 on 5 for Dmen)
    Player B 48.65
    Player C 50.53

ShotsAgainst/60
    Player A 29.31 (78th best numbers
    Player B 25.83
    Player C 27.03

GoalsAgainst/60
    Player A 2.36 (117th best numbers, tied with Kevin Bieska)
    Player B 1.36
    Player C 1.79

High Danger Shot Attempts/60
    Player A 12.08 (167th best numbers, 0.33 better than Girardi who was bought out)
    Player B 8.52
    Player C 9.01

High Danger Goals Against/60
    Player A 1.55 (151st best numbers, 0.05 better than Justin Faulk)
    Player B 0.72
    Player C 0.9

-Just looking at “against” numbers and not using “for” numbers in the equation does not give us much information.

-Style of play by team matters when factor into these numbers. Teams like the Devils that are not high event in either end will look good in Rickis eyes. Teams like the Oilers that are high event in either end will not good in Rickis eyes.

-Quality of Competition matters

-Quality of Teammates matters

Player A is 50% or better in all those metrics which include corsi, shot, goal, high danger shot attempt and high danger goal shares

Player B is 50% or better only in goal and high danger goal share.

Player C is 50% or better only in goal and high danger goal share.

I would pick Player A as the best. Ricki wouldn’t.

81. N64 says:

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
    17m

McDavid Draisaitl contract watch continues. I’d guess 97 to be in 13m range on an 8 year deal. We’ll see.

Over 8 years

97 12.125
    100 12.5
    104 13

82. Richard S.S. says:

If people are so sure Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is such a vital piece of the Oilers future then they must have already decided which of Draisaitl or McDavid gets traded.

McDavid’s contract is likely to be in the $12.0-$12.5 Million range if not more. By waiting to sign Draisaitl next, his price will be more, Probably $8.0-$8.5 Million range if not more. The Oilers Top-4 Defense and Star Goaltender cost:$22.0 Million. That leaves only about $32.0 Million to keep 15 more on the Roster. RNH, Lucic, Sekera and Pouliot occupy $21.5 Million of that $32.0. That’s not acceptable.

So who do the Oilers keep?

83. npanciroli says:

I would be tempted to see what kind of RHD Draisaitl fetches if he costs more than 7.5. Not saying I would do it, but really makes you think.

84. Professor Q says:

~ So, $14 million AAV for 8 for McDavid and $10 million AAV for 8 for Draisaitl?

Probably the best we could hope for… ~ 😈

I keed, I keed. I don’t think it’ll be Domesday Scenario like everyone else does.

85. TO10801 says:

Question re Drai contract: If you look at Hall’s first 3 seasons in the NHL he had better PPG than Drai and had no McDavid to help him. What are the chances Draisaitl does not cover the best if he signs a contract with an AAV over 7? I know he was dominant on his own at times in the playoffs, but that is a very small sample size. I think you bridge him and see where it goes, but all indications are that it is going to be a long term deal.

86. Doug McLachlan says:

If McDavid comes in at any number south of $14M we have a value contract. Sure, I’d love him to take $9.7M for esthetics but he should be the top salary in the league. Period. Full Stop. If he wants that over 8 years we should be thrilled and a $97M or $100M total contract is perfectly legit.

$12.125M per year ($97M total over 8) or $12.5M per year ($100M total over 8) are both perfectly reasonable numbers.

Leon’s number is the trickier one. Suspect the comparable contract is Tarasenko”s $7.5M – with a bit of top up for inflation?

The Penguins have been dealing with Crosby at $8.7M and Malkin at $9.5M. Combined that is a much higher relative cap hit than even $12.5M+$8.0M under today’s cap. Painful but manageable.

87. russ99 says:

I really was hoping we could find someone better than Gryba, but at 900k the price is right.

88. frjohnk says:

frjohnk: Ricki would hate player A as he leaves the barn door open.

Player A, B, C play same style, bring same offense but these are the“against” metrics.Player A is the oldest, Player B is 1 year younger than player A, player C is 2 years younger than A.

CA/60
    Player A56.17(111th best numberswhen using 500 minutes 5 on 5 for Dmen)
    Player B48.65
    Player C50.53

ShotsAgainst/60
    Player A29.31 (78th best numbers
    Player B25.83
    Player C27.03

GoalsAgainst/60
    Player A2.36 (117th best numbers, tied with Kevin Bieska)
    Player B1.36
    Player C1.79

High Danger Shot Attempts/60
    Player A12.08 (167th best numbers, 0.33 better than Girardi who was bought out)
    Player B8.52
    Player C9.01

High Danger Goals Against/60
    Player A1.55 (151st best numbers, 0.05 better than Justin Faulk)
    Player B0.72
    Player C0.9

-Style of play by team matters when factor into these numbers.Teams like the Devils that are not high event in either end will look good in Rickis eyes.Teams like the Oilersthat are high event in either end will not good in Rickis eyes.

-Quality of Competition matters

-Quality of Teammates matters

Player B is 50% or better only in goal and high danger goal share.

Player C is 50% or better only in goal and high danger goal share.

I would pick Player A as the best. Ricki wouldn’t.

Player A is Larsson with the Oilers.
    Player B and C is Larsson with Devils the two years prior.

89. Doug McLachlan says:

LT will probably bring it up tonight but reading Elliotte Friedman’s 30 Thoughts there is a mention of a third team that was part of the Eberle-Strome discussions. Point 5 on the list.

My suspicion is that the third team is/was Colorado. The Islanders are stockpiling picks to make a play for Duchene. If I am correct about the third team here, is the Oilers’ target Barrie and are those discussions over now that Hamonic is a Flame?

90. kooler says:

Is that right Foo to the hawks?

91. N64 says:

kooler:
    Is that right Foo to the hawks?

Parker?

92. Ducey says:

Richard S.S.:

McDavid’s contract is likely to be in the $12.0-$12.5 Million range if not more.By waiting to sign Draisaitl next, his price will be more, Probably $8.0-$8.5 Million range if not more.The Oilers Top-4 Defense and Star Goaltender cost:$22.0 Million.That leaves only about $32.0 Million to keep 15 more on the Roster.RNH, Lucic, Sekera and Pouliot occupy $21.5 Million of that $32.0.That’s not acceptable.

So who do the Oilers keep?

Look at the chart above. They don’t need to trade any of them this year. Next year Fayne comes off the books, and Korpse buyout is finished.

Hopefully Pouliot bounces back and then can deal him.

Maybe the cap goes up.

Maybe Yamamoto or Benson or JP emerge and you flip Strome, or maybe Maroon.

Maybe they put Leon on a bridge deal.

Maybe they flip Russell quickly because they have other options.

Who knows?

Trading Nuge this season because you might have cap problems in the future would not be smart.

93. dustrock says:

Didn’t think I’d be able to be surprised by a rock record in 2017, but check out Algiers’ new album The Underside Of Power.

Imagine a Sam Cooke/Edwin Starr type soul singer singing over early TV On the Radio, with the drummer from Bloc Party.

Interesting stuff.

94. Doug McLachlan says:

N64,

Parker Foo was selected by the BlackHawks. Suspicion is that Spencer Foo will sign with Detroit.

We have reached the point where we can’t assure anyone ice-time that isn’t earned. This is a good thing but it means that promising gambles have to look elsewhere. Hope he finds the right fit and has a solid pro debut.

95. kooler says:

N64,

That’s right….there’s 2 of them. Looks like the elder is reviewing all is options still.

96. Professor Q says:

N64: Parker?

Peter?

97. Ducey says:

Professor Q: Peter?

Chiarelli?

98. N64 says:

kooler:
    N64,

That’s right….there’s 2 of them.Looks like the elder is reviewing all is options still.

Stauffer has been downplaying Free Agent Foo signing here.

99. Scungilli Slushy says:

I think Marleau would be a great add for a year. He can also play centre. He still skates well.

I’m not so sure e how giant slow centres help much. Hanzal is a reg season help but the speed of the playoffs seemed to get the better of him. Weal isn’t an NHL player still, he isn’t as good as Strome so I don’t see a fit other than the Condors.

They still need D depth on both sides unless they think Simpson or Jones can spot in and have shaved Fayne’s sideburns. In which case we only see a trade or a one year on a forward.

100. Ducey says:

I have been thinking (for once) and wonder if the Oilers need to get a steam roller from the Raffi Torres, Mike Grier family. A player like that (big, fast, hits like a ton) would sure go a long ways to helping the Oilers in the playoffs.

Kassian did that early in playoffs but then stopped – I presume due to injury. But they don’t really have that on their team, or system right now.

101. Bank Shot says:

Ducey:

I guess Ostap Safin is supposed to be that type of player, but who knows.

102. Pink Socks says:

Gross, Foo to the Flames

103. Pink Socks says:

Ryan Rishaug‏ @TSNRyanRishaug

July 1 will likely be very quiet for the Oilers, barring any major unexpected happenings, don’t think they’ll be doing much. Roster is set

—-

This is somewhat bothersome. Team is lesser today than it was at the end of the season. I’m glad that PC isn’t going to blow money on a UFA, but for the roster to be “set” suggests that we may be going into next season with a few pretty gaping holes.

104. russ99 says:

Pink Socks:
    Gross, Foo to the Flames

105. Pink Socks says:

russ99: That’s OK, we now don’t have to give a prospect automatic playing time this year, and spend what we were going to on Foo for an NHL veteran.

I agree with the sentiment, I just don’t like CGY winning anything.

106. kooler says:

Pink Socks,

The wait is over.

107. russ99 says:

Pink Socks:
    Ryan Rishaug‏ @TSNRyanRishaug

July 1 will likely be very quiet for the Oilers, barring any major unexpected happenings, don’t think they’ll be doing much.Roster is set

—-

This is somewhat bothersome.Team is lesser today than it was at the end of the season.I’m glad that PC isn’t going to blow money on a UFA, but for the roster to be “set” suggests that we may be going into next season with a few pretty gaping holes.

Chia kept tinkering last year. Once Leon’s number is set I have no doubt that Chia will look for some inexpensive help.

108. kooler says:

Sign Versteeg.

109. Bank Shot says:

Pink Socks:
    Ryan Rishaug‏ @TSNRyanRishaug

—-

Yeah. You’d like to see some improvements made to the roster even if minor.

We are definitely looking to be behind where we were at the end of last season.

110. GCW_69 says:

If I were GM, I would be talking to Weal, Versteeg, Parenteau, Vrbata, Grigorenko, Bonino, Hanzal, and Kulikov.

Kulikov is interesting because he has top four ability if healthy.

Walking away from this summer with:

Maroon – McDavid – Strome