OILERS SIGN GRYBA

The Edmonton Oilers signed defenseman Eric Gryba today, it’s a two-year deal with an average cap hit of $900,000. That’s a reasonable number for a 7D and the team’s success clearly has free agents jumping back into the boat. The term is a little curious, but Gryba isn’t 40 and coach Todd McLellan values him. I haven’t read the general Oilers fan reaction this afternoon but imagine it’s fairly positive compared to the longer deal given out to Kris Russell.

ERIC GRYBA

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.62 (6th among regular defensemen)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 0.00
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 51.8
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: 1.9
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 47.4
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: -0.4 (27 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 45 shots/4.4%
  • Boxcars: 40gp, 2-4-6
  • (All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)
  • Special thanks to GMoney and Woodguy for sharing the DFF’s

This is a good player card for Gryba, and I think you can make a case for bringing him back. Fact is the roster issues on defense do not reside here, but rather higher up the depth chart.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

There are a few ways for Peter Chiarelli to handle the defensive depth chart over the rest of the summer:

1. Sign Cody Franson.
  2. Trade Benoit Pouliot or Mark Fayne, opening up room to trade for a substantial option.
  3. Sign an undervalued free agent like LHD Yohann Auvitu and run four lefties/three righties in the top 7D.
  4. Keep Mark Fayne.

Andrej Sekera is likely to miss 40 games and look out of place for at least 20 more. Whatever the days until Sekera, the current depth chart is not the answer.

CURRENT 50-MAN

• There are now 14 signed defensemen who will play in North America this fall (Lagesson is going to play in Sweden). Sekera’s injury cuts that down by one and I do think the Oilers will add at least one NHL defenseman on a one-year contract or expiring deal. I will guess it’s Franson although Yohann Auvitu is an interesting option.
  • With Spencer Foo off to Calgary, we can talk about the RW position. If we don’t see any additions through the rest of the summer, count on Leon Draisaitl playing there a lot.

OILERS HEADED TO FREE AGENCY

• Pretty much picked clean now, I would still have room for Tyler Pitlick and Jordan Oesterle but we’re getting close to free agency.
  • Edmonton has 40 contracts, meaning a very active period of signing and procurement. My guess is we see some college additions, some players headed for the AHL  on two-way deals and possibly some depth at center. Plus a defenseman for the NHL team (unless Mark Fayne can hide a pair of George Jetson jet boots in his skates).

More on everything tomorrow. Oilers are getting a lot of business done in front of free agency and retain about $6 million (my estimate) in cap room even with the Gryba signing.

121 Responses to "OILERS SIGN GRYBA"

1. LadiesloveSmid says:

Not fun watching CGY improve and EDM sit on their hands after downgrading the roster and handing out a bad contract.

Not holding high hopes for McDavid’s final year below 14M

2. Richard S.S. says:

Fooey to the Flames.

3. nqmt says:

I’m pretty sure Foo looked at Edmonton’s depth chart and saw Draisatl, PJJ, Strome, Kassian, Yamamoto, Sleppy and is like, i’m not gonna crack that team. Same reason why Versteeg chose them and not us

LadiesloveSmid:

Not holding high hopes for McDavid’s final year below 14M

4. Scungilli Slushy says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Not holding high hopes for McDavid’s final year below 14M

Check out Gregory’s college free agent piece at ON.

Not many world beaters there. If S Foo signing with Calgary sinks the Oilers there is no hope. Or signing a top 4 defenseman for market value who is moveable.

5. LMHF#1 says:

Someone telling Rishaug the roster is set. Wow, inspiring…

Probably going to sell as many of my tickets as I can and wait for the playoffs. If they don’t care about a better regular season and roster, why should I go?

6. Mr. D. says:

Do you know anything about team balance?

LadiesloveSmid:

Not holding high hopes for McDavid’s final year below 14M

7. nqmt says:

someone is melodramatic

LMHF#1:
    Someone telling Rishaug the roster is set. Wow, inspiring…

8. russ99 says:

Meh, we’re still better than Calgary.

The other thing about July 1 is nobody signs one year deals the first few days of free agency,

9. StixMalone says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Not holding high hopes for McDavid’s final year below 14M

10. LadiesloveSmid says:

Mr. D.:
    Do you know anything about team balance?

All they were missing last year was a 3RW instead of a 1RW and 40 less games of Sekera, I know.

11. LadiesloveSmid says:

StixMalone: Do you really think Foo will slot in right away? Don’t think Calgary has improved a lot at all…..

I don’t think Foo is a world beater but it improves their system’s depth. More so on the Hamonic front.

12. misfit says:

LMHF#1:
    Someone telling Rishaug the roster is set. Wow, inspiring…

Between an uninspiring UFA class and the fact that we just traded Eberle because we needed the cap space to re-sign both McDavid and Draisaitl, why would anyone expect us to be making any major additions this offseason?

If we assume Strome replaces Eberle at RW (the roster spot, not the production), and that one of Nurse/Benning jumps to the 2nd pair while Sekera is out, that really only leaves one defensive spot on the 3rd pair that’s open. I sincerely hope that wasn’t the purpose of this signing, not do I expect it to be.

13. Scungilli Slushy says:

I wonder what age group the couturie of incredibly negative commenters and Henderson are from. If watching hockey creates that much pain and coginitive dissonance why not take up a less painful pass time like MMA? Too much histrionics. Way too dramatic.

14. misfit says:

The Foo signing doesn’t really matter to me either way. I’m equally as unmoved by him signing in Calgary than I would’ve been had he signed here.

It makes sense for the Flames with all the picks they moved in the last 2 years. They needed to restock their prospect cupboards like we did in the college free agent market last offseason. Not that we don’t, but we do have a full compliment of picks in next year’s draft, and I think we did well this past weekend on that front.

Calgary has always traded for/signed players that I’ve really wanted in the past (Langkow, Bouwmeester, Hamilton, Frolik, Hamonic), which really pisses me off, but the Foo signing isn’t such a move.

15. Scungilli Slushy says:

nqmt:
    I’m pretty sure Foo looked at Edmonton’s depth chart and saw Draisatl, PJJ, Strome, Kassian, Yamamoto, Sleppy and is like, i’m not gonna crack that team.Same reason why Versteeg chose them and not us

Bang on. Calgary promising the moon and paying through their flaming nostrils for decent or less players is good news for Oiler fans. Hamonic and Foo aren’t going to change their fortunes much, and having to land Foo to try to shore up what they paid for Hammie and whatever that cost them is all problems in the bank for them later.

16. jake70 says:

I hope PItlick signs. Would have really liked to have seen him in those playoffs. Don’t blame the kid for trying for the biggest meal ticket he can find but geez, the Oilers could have unloaded him a number of times but stuck with him…..should mean something no? (and maybe he ends up signing…who knows)

One thing about Gryba, he fears noone, is not afraid to hurt anyone and will stick up for any teammate in a millisecond…….doesn’t discriminate. Gets him in trouble sometimes though. (note….that is 3 things about Gryba…not one..)

17. Johnny Stomper says:

Man we have bunch of whiners for fans. They just gave us the best regular season we’ve seen in forever and a damn good playoff run that was very close to going 3 rounds if not for controversially allowed goals. We have the best player on the planet on our team and Drai who was top 10 in points. A ton of positive arrows for our young D core and young forward which include those 2 aforementioned stars. Plus a universally agreed great draft this year.

There is still more business to be conducted and it’s finally being managed by a solid group of hockey minds.

Maybe since I’m a die-hard fan who doesn’t live in Edmonton I have the luxury to not breathe same polluted air as any of you negative folk.

Go Oilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. LadiesloveSmid says:

You’d think it would be clear you can be critical of your teams poor moves and still passionately love them. If I disliked the oil I would be cool with status quote or worse. McDavid makes 3.775M next season, go for it. I hate the flames, be notably better than them.

19. Silver Streak says:

The simple fact that Calgary signed Foo creates unease within us….but really take a step back and re-read the section above re: our RW depth chart….Foo is no fool. Neither is Chiarelli….Hamonic`s signing
    is similar….Is he worth a # 1 and 2 # 2`s in what supposed to be a great draft next year….when we obviously need young talent…..it stings now, but Flames have nothing in the first 3 rounds next year….thats when the hurting begins down south.

20. Thinker says:

We are gonna be in pretty bad shape soon. Lucic, Russel, and Sekera will all have to be moved to sign upcoming pieces like Benning. Not sure when that happens. Next summer?

21. Alpine says:

Foo won’t move the dial for the flames. At best he’ll be one of those guys who bounces around on one year deals that you can squeeze 30-40 points out of. Only hurts because he’s an Edmonton kid.

22. Brantford Boy says:

I like Gryba and the contract… there were other suitors for sure…

In other news as per Rick Dhaliwal: Nail Yakupov‘s agent Igor Larionov said that Yakupov would be interested in signing with the Canucks… it will be nice to have nobody to play the puck on the high wall on RW when we play the Nucks 5 times this year… probably the 3rd line… oh that Larinov guy… don’t ever sell insurance.

23. mumbai max says:

I agree the tone is distressingly negative. It feels odd and uncomfortable. Get over it. We have a good team! Go Oil

24. Ducey says:

Richard S.S.:
    Fooey to the Flames.

I pity the Foo!

-Mr T.

25. geowal says:

One can’t be upset with Chia over Foo. It sure seems like he bargained hard throughout. At the end it is Foo’s choice, and I’d agree with the idea that it was driven by Calgary’s non depth chart.

26. Thinker says:

Silver Streak:

27. Brantford Boy says:

jake70,

Agreed on Pitlick, they could have let him walk with the injuries before… it is a business but you can still show some loyalty… maybe there is more to this story… agreed on your point(s) on Gryba too…

28. Richard S.S. says:

Ryan Strome has been a good Center and a good Winger on a poor Islander Team with a terrible Coach. At least now he’s on a better Team with better Coach. I think he’ll be good enough this year to sign long term.

Leon can be a #1 or a #2 Center or as a #1 or a #2 Winger. Ryan should be comfortable as a #1, #2 or #3 Center or as a #1 RW, #2RW or #3RW. Even Drake Caggiula can play some Center as well as being an effective wing.

29. who says:

Thinker: Our RW chart is below average with Draisaitl there, and pathertic with him at C. They are a little older, but Cal RW is better, and Vey is a pretty good prospect. We don’t really have any wing prospects outside those penciled on the roster that are even vaguely close to ready. I’ve also pointed out before how few rookies slepyshev/ caggiula’s age who score that little stay in the Chell.

30. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Johnny Stomper,

– Great post LT! Stomper: draft me for your team I see it like you, and don’t live in EDM.

– LT says: “Trade Benoit Pouliot or Mark Fayne, opening up room” How pissed is Chia that he has more than $7MM tied to these two. Imagine if we had $13MM to play with: wow!

31. blainer says:

Very Happy with the Gryba signing. The man hits to hurt against the flames and the physical teams.. he is a good D to have.

Could careless about Foo.. He won’t make that big of a difference.

We absolutely have to bring in a Faceoff guy and hoping it’s Boyle.

Not interested in Franson but would not mind Hainsey or someone similar on a one year deal. I don’t expect that signing to happen until late summer.

32. Scungilli Slushy says:

LadiesloveSmid:

We might have preferred different players but we also don’t have the whole story- who is available at a cost that the team can sustain moving forward. I have commented on this many times and others, and there is an article up listing recent winners.

33. Richard S.S. says:

LT said it’s possible Sekera might be gone for 40 games and look out of place for 20 games. I think it might be longer for both.

34. LadiesloveSmid says:

Scungilli Slushy: The cap. There is a false narrative that teams can only win with key players on ELC’s. To stay a contender the type of delals we have seen are the right way. Nobody overpaid, nobody with a NTC.

35. Dicky94 says:

mumbai max,

I agree. The last ten years we have been used to blowing things up every summer and bringing in shiney new players that never worked out. So ya it’s a little boring right now. I’m glad we only have to tweak a few things here and there. It means the Oilers finally have team….. and a good one at that!!!

36. theDjdj says:

IF you think signing a Top 5 dman to 4 x 4 contract and not landing a college free agent is worth getting distressed about I suggest going back 4 or 5 years and reading about the concerns we had then. Don’t stop questioning the team, that’s part of the fun, but let’s not turn into chicken littles.

37. LadiesloveSmid says:

theDjdj:

38. Scungilli Slushy says:

Maybe the Oilers can pick up Franson and Marleau and have a deep team for a strong run this year.

Draisaitl struggled with coverage at times at centre because age, and because he is targeted and faces top comp or.checking. Barring a big trade they will have Nuge and that gives the a lot of options.

Young players are a year older and stronger, No team is optimum, they’re all in the same boat, rosters changing. Many rivals have players a year older and closer to the cliff. Or haven’t addressed key problems well or at all.

This team can win the Cup as it is if young players step up. Or if they can find players that are good enough to help that don’t create other problems. I see only Nashville, maybe Chicago, Columbus and Anaheim being a problem.

39. Ducey says:

Oilers:

Leon 20 yrs old – (top 10 in scoring)
    Strome 23 – (former 5th overall) with a ton of potential and former 50 point scorer
    JP (4th overall last year) – still just 19
    Slepy just turned 23 and just starting to break out
    Kassian – 25 – former 13th overall who put up 77 points in 56 games in junior and had a great playoffs

Calgary:

Frolik- 29 and coming off a career high 44 points
    Versteeg – 30 – picked out of the trashbin – good for about 65 games and 33 points
    Brouwer – 31 – great signing (not) – 25 points
    Chaisson – 25 – 24 points
    Vey – third organization and turns 26 next month
    Foo

One of these groups is going to grow substantially, the other is about as good as its going to get.

40. Scungilli Slushy says:

LadiesloveSmid: Russell and Lucia are both overpaid with NMCs. 30 &29YO respectively. Don’t know that I can say that is the plan. I at least think Lucia isn’t being overpromised at the moment.

Russell doesn’t have a NMC. Lucic needs to score more but who do you think lead the change in the team’s personality? Sitting at the head of the table at team dinners, young guys getting mentorship from someone who has and demands respect from other teams, the Oilers playing unafraid for the first time since 2006?

There are other tough players on the team, but I don’t think they would have had Getzlaf backing away shooting his mouth off and looking like he didn’t want to go. There are few players that can do that because being a fourth liner doesn’t command respect. It won’t always be necessary; but it is huge for a young skill team, and was always a part of the former great Oiler teams as they matured.

41. Thinker says:

who: Vey is 26 years old and with his third organization. How is he a prospect. Our right wing depth is just fine.

Maybe prospect isn’t the right word, but I vonsider Lander a prospect in that he is close to the nhl. Toss in Granlund, Reinhart, and knight as centers vs our lone Khaira. They have more competition for NHL forward spots. Slepyshev and JP will be gifted NHL roles, with no other players wothin 2 years of competing for a nhl job.

That is all the NHL teams. Assuming our chart is JP, Slepyshev,Strome, kassian, I would say we are likely above Ari, Dal, Fla, Njd, sjs, van, veg. Not a lot of playoff teams there. We are especially weak at the top 6 level. JP, Slepyshev, and strome all fit in a third line role, but haven’t proven capable of top 6 regulars. Strone’s 30?points puts him closest.

42. LadiesloveSmid says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Russell has an NMC first 2 years, modified-NMC last 2 years.

43. Side says:

LadiesloveSmid: Now we can’t question the team’s moves because they were abysmal for the past 10 years? Why don’t we want them to be as good as possible? I’d think after G7 of round 2 we’d want something to push them over the top, not ignoring holes in the roster.

44. LadiesloveSmid says:

Side: Would trading a bunch of picks for Hamonic and signing Foo fill holes in the roster though?

Hoping the verbal that they are done working on the roster is garbage

45. Scungilli Slushy says:

Ducey: Oilers:

Leon 20 yrs old – (top 10 in scoring)
    JP (4th overall last year) – still just 19
    Slepy just turned 23 and just starting to break out

Calgary:

Frolik- 29 and coming off a career high 44 points
    Brouwer – 31 – great signing (not) – 25 points
    Chaisson – 25 – 24 points
    Vey – third organization and turns 26 next month
    Foo

Slepy was at the top of the list for Russian players in his draft year but KHL at that time. The Flames do have Bennet and Tkachuk, but that is half of their skilled group now with Gaudreau and Monahan. I don’t like their chances against the Oilers. The bookies don’t either.

46. Richard S.S. says:

This Offseason has been very interesting and will only get more so. A few things to remember:
    1) Klefbom, Larsson and Talbot earn $12.5 Million while Sekera and Russell earn $9.5 Million. So 5 people earn $22.0 Million or 29.33 % of the Cap.
    2) Lucic. RNH and Pouliot earn $16.0 Million or 21.33 % of the Cap.
    3) Draisaitl and McDavid aren’t signed. Yet 8 players are earning $38.0 Million or 50.66 % of the Cap

Nothing much will happen until Peter Chiarelli knows the numbers for those two. That might be past early July. Of course we don’t know what offers might fall into his lap.

Why was Bogdan Yakimov signed? Open another buyout window possibly.

47. Scungilli Slushy says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Scungilli Slushy,

Russell has an NMC first 2 years, modified-NMC last 2 years.

Still moveable right? Forgive my wording, I meant NTC. Many here including me would have preferred someone else but was it available in a way that worked for the team? Free agents are always overpriced and overtermed, the structure of the contract allows movement and guarantees Russell money, its creative and not an albatross.

Kirk out.

48. Side says:

LadiesloveSmid: Acquiring any 2RD would fill a big hole. Hard to call it filled with Russell in that spot, and Sekera out 40 games. If they plan on running Draisaitl at RW then I’d like to know who the 3C is, is Slepy/Pulju guaranteed a top 6 spot?

Hoping the verbal that they are done working on the roster is garbage

I guess your definition of “big hole” is a lot different than mine.

Russell is an NHL D. I don’t think he’s worth the contract he just received, but he can still play.

Spencer Foo may never be an NHL regular.

Surely there are centers out there that are currently NHL players who can fill the 3C spot.

In both cases I wouldn’t consider these to be “big holes”.

I too hope Pete isn’t done, and I don’t think he is.

49. LMHF#1 says:

nqmt:
    someone is melodramatic

50. Scungilli Slushy says:

LMHF#1: Not particularly. I don’t care for a reaction. Just kinda disappointed and angry.

For me, not overspending draft picks and making a hole with Nuge and replacing with a plugger like Hanzal is good for this year’s run at it.

51. season not played says:

I would seriously consider carrying 8 D.

Klebom Larsson
    Russel Benning
    Nurse Fayne
    Laleggia Gryba

And would try both Laleggia and Gryba as swing men.

Laleggia if you need a scorer, Gryab If you need a banger on the fourth line.

52. Gordies Elbow says:

Ducey: Oilers:

Calgary:

Frolik- 29 and coming off a career high 44 points
    Brouwer – 31 – great signing (not) – 25 points
    Vey – third organization and turns 26 next month
    Foo

Capfriendly has Versteeg and Chiasson as UFA’s, so I removed them from the list until they are signed.

Yeesh.

Also, as much as I’d like another Bonnyville Pontiac in the NHL, Foo’s stats are a concern. Take a look at his production last season compared to the last two. 25pt, 25pt, 62pt.

As a 19 year old, he had an impressive 60gp – 40g – 27a – 67pts for the Pontiacs.

In 2004-05, another 19 year old went 63gp – 39g – 47a – 86pts for the Pontiacs.

Similar size, went on to play in the CCHA the next season at Western Michigan University, going 37g – 24g – 22a – 46pts, which was a strong debut compared to Foo’s 39gp – 11g – 14a – 25pts at Union. (Different leagues, different times, I get it.)

That said, other player from the Pontiacs is Mark Letestu.

53. LMHF#1 says:

Scungilli Slushy: You’re right to question what they are doing. I’m not sure how long you’ve been following closely but what we’re seeing is far better than in times past and while not inspiring it could be worse. If the cap wasn’t such a worry I think they would go for Barrie or the like, we still might see it.

Good while now, not to mention being through the ten years of darkness. Just missed the good days. First mini pack in ’91. Wrote game reports for more than 10 years starting in ’04 when I got season tickets.

I finally see the opportunity staring them in the face. I think they either don’t want it or are too incompetent to grab it.

54. ashley says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Johnny Stomper,

– Great post LT!Stomper: draft me for your team I see it like you, and don’t live in EDM.

– LT says: “Trade Benoit Pouliot or Mark Fayne, opening up room”How pissed is Chia that he has more than $7MM tied to these two.Imagine if we had $13MM to play with: wow!

More damage is done to NHL rosters on July 1 than any other day of the year.

I cringe on July 1 with this team, and for good reason. Belanger, Souray Foster, Barker, Khabibulin, Fayne, Pouliot, Gustavsson to name a few overpaid players, some of them marginal/non NHL players.

Sekera was at least a quality signing, but overpaid and overtermed to secure him. That might get ugly as he finds himself on the wrong side of 30 with an ACL reconstructed knee. Yikes.

Lucic was also ok, but again, too long. That’s going to hurt at some point down the road.

I prefer July 5-Sept 1 for free agents. That’s where the value is.

55. ashley says:

There are many teams who rarely make a splash on July 1. Hopefully us this year.

56. LadiesloveSmid says:

My hope is Pulju steps up in his draft+2 the same way Draisaitl did. I’d think at the time of their drafts, Pulju was the notably better prospect.

57. Gordies Elbow says:

ashley,

I’m not sure that Lucic’s contract will hurt any more than Ference’s really did. If it’s bad, he develops a nasty rash from his gear, and is LTIR’ed. All the cool kids are doing it.

That said, if I were Edmonton, I’d be chatting with Markov’s agent about a one year deal. Edmonton needs to keep cap space for McDavid for the next season, and needs to cover for Sekera for a large chunk of the season.

Could be a very good fit.

58. Rebilled says:

Didn’t Calgary move to Seattle?

Either way, that team sucks.

59. Melman says:

I love all the angst and hand-wringing, it’s great we all love the team so much. But I t’s not Sept. yet folks, we have no idea what PC has for a plan, which is exactly how it should be. The team was some spotty calls from being in the 3rd round. Not every decision is perfect, but it’s a marathon not a sprint and IMO Chia deserves the benefit of the doubt. It takes YEARS to build a Stanley winner. Let’s see what he has up his sleeve and let the stew simmer a little.

60. StixMalone says:

To think Spencer is gonna jump right in and contribute is FOO lishness!!!

61. Richard S.S. says:

The Oilers have Connor McDavid, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Mark Letestu as Centers. They also have as Center/Wing Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Strome and Drake Caggiula. Lots of options for McLellan. Everyone knows what they need to do better this coming season.

They also have Patrick Maroon, Milan Lucic and Benoit Pouliot as LW with Anton Slepyshev, Jesse Juljujarvi, and Zack Kassian as RW. They can add Jujhar Khaira and Iiro Pakarinen as 13th and 14th forwards. Everyone knows what they need to do better this coming season.

A lot of people think they need more offense. I don’t, too many people had below average years. Could be they are a bit shy in quality replacements, but aren’t most teams.

Oscar Klefbom and Adam Larsson have formed on of the top 1st Pairings in Hockey, and they can still get better. Kris Russell and Matthew Benning should be an effective 2nd Pairing, once Sekera’s a 100% they might have two quality 2nd Pairings. Darnell Nurse and Eric Gryba or Mark Fayne should do well as the 3rd Pairing. Everyone knows what they need to do. The depth is a wee bit better but still work to do.

I can easily see this version of the Oilers making the Playoffs. Once you are there it’s all about the Goaltending, which should see the Oilers well.

62. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m fine with the Gryba signing-he’s a perfect fit for your 7D and he’s well liked among his team mates

We’re still short the Sekera replacement-maybe Chia waits until Sept to fill that role- I’d be more comfortable if we got that taken care of sooner rather than later but that’s on me

63. Mr. D. says:

Yawn! You should apply for GM as you think you know it all..key word..think

Hoping the verbal that they are done working on the roster is garbage

64. Johnny skid says:

Mr. D.:
    Yawn! You should apply for GM as you think you know it all..key word..think

i quite enjoy ladeislovesmid comments.

65. dustrock says:

Thanks to all the Oilers fans out there telling me how I should feel.

66. smellyglove says:

We had a great team last year, nothing to complain about there, but Chiarelli’s mistakes are going to catch up to him sooner or later.

Wait until Klefbom, Talbot, Draisaitl, or Larsson go down for 60 man games this upcoming season and we’ll see what the end of the season looks like.

67. theDjdj says:

Come on, man. You need to at least try and read my post. I said continue questioning the team but do so with a bit of perspective. Our issues are minor. Even compared to the other 31 teams right now.

Edit: 30 teams. Getting ahead of myself

68. rickithebear says:

Proof, facts, theories.
    I have agents, scouts, Ncaa coaches telling me i nailed it.

Shot supression includes 0 chance shots.

Please elighten us with your evidence!

69. VOR says:

Lets try a little simple math,

once we allow for bonuses the Oilers have about $9.6 million to use – assume Draisaitl signs for 6.6 Million which many web pages are suggesting is fair value for an 8 year contract.

That leaves the Oilers with $3,000,000 to play with plus some portion of Andrej Sekera’s LTIR but as I understand it that only kicks in once the season starts.

So the Oilers can, as things currently stand, sign one or two free agents but only if they are less than $8.5 million. Probably around $3.85 Million of Sekera’s salary will be available this year to help acquire his replacement. So the Oilers can afford to sign free agents to a max of $6.85 Million as long as they are all on one year contracts.

Next year they need all the bonus money, the salaries coming off the books, and this money to pay Connor McDavid, a now healthy Sekera, and other free agents (Nurse, Benning, Strome, etc.)

I can’t help thinking we will see more Eberle for Strome type deals. Maybe sooner than we think. But it is also possible the Oilers are done, preferring to hang on to the money and go shopping at the trade deadline. What we won’t see are big name free agent signings (not enough money and no term).

70. treevojo says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Right now isn’t the only time to go for it.

There is a very nice window 3/4s of the way through the season to reassess the team and to fill holes with expiring contracts for draft picks.

Why does Chiarelli have to make those decisions now when he has the ability to acquire more information throughout next season and decide then.

I’ve always been under the impression that the more knowledge a person has the better decisions that person can make.

71. Woogie63 says:

Fayne paired with Nurse might be a better 3rd pairing that I first thought;

Righty/Lefty
    400 ish game vet with a 100 ish promising dman
    Both big, physical men
    Rover with a stay at home type.

Keep Fayne’s and Nurses’ game simple

Sekera would be a great add at the trade deadline.

72. LadiesloveSmid says:

rickithebear: Proof, facts, theories.
    I have agents, scouts, Ncaa coaches telling me i nailed it.

Shot supression includes 0 chance shots.

Please elighten us with your evidence!

You’re alone on an island, Ricki. No one in the league thinks Lovejoy, Emelin, Fistric, and Fayne are superstars.

73. OriginalPouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid:

JP becoming a legit top 6 forward this season would be HUGE.

Unfortunately, at this point, he still needs to prove worthy of a roster spot let along relied on for 40 plus points.

74. VOR says:

rickithebear,

I don’t really care who you have that agrees with you since their agreement proves nothing. Let me explain why.

Great minds think alike.

Fools seldom differ.

I have no way of knowing if the people who agree with you are great minds or fools.

75. dangilitis says:

Is anyone else here worried about the team’s chances next year.

Down Sekera for most of the season and down a 20 goal scorer.
    Also worried that despite Talbot being the real deal, that he could easily slip just a bit and that can make a huge difference.
    Maroon could also easily take step back.

if nothing changes, we are literally hoping for internal improvement from further development of Draisaitl, Strome, Nurse, Benning, Drake, Jesse,Slepyshev, Khaira, and of course that McDavid fellow. We are also hoping for recovery of RNH, Pouliot, and Lucic.

On the one hand, there are many players above who will likely be better by virtue of being a year older and now playoff tested. On the other hand, these little improvements may not collectively be enough to compensate for loss of Rej and Ebs and we already know the Flames will be better, while the Ducks and Sharks will remain very good. All those games against Vancouver, Arizona and Las Vegas should help them compete against central division opponents, which will certainly help.

* Edit: I should also probably add Klefbom and Larsson to the group of still developing players

76. Woogie63 says:

Each year I go to the Young Stars tournament in Penticton, assuming each team brings only their 1st round pick from this year’s draft.

Players I am interested in seeing,

Winnipeg = 10 players
    Vancouver = 10 players
    Calgary = 7 players
    Edmonton = 11 players

Calgary has mortgaged a lot of draft picks….

77. Gordies Elbow says:

dangilitis,

I would include Klefbom and Larsson, and Brossoit, whom I believe will push this year (if he doesn’t, a guy like Ellis or Starrett is coming for his lunch, and they have Skinner and Wells coming for theirs.)

This is the first season in (I don’t know how many) that the questions are generally answered, going in.

They’re young, deep up the middle, have defenders, and the prospects are not being called upon to play above their fighting weight.

Feels weird.

78. digger50 says:

Lots of positivity tonight, nice to see.

I enjoy the team but I worry. And this worry wants more done today to ensure success, not hope for it.

Hamonic was the play, make no mistake. Strome will be fine but Peter missed the mark in my opinion, our trade bullet was Eberle and Strome the wrong target.

I don’t see anyone discussing Desharnais who is left on the board. Nobody. How in the name did Peter think this player was going to help? He will be lucky to get a PTO this fall. Sorry David, great career and thanks for the goal. Now where did Davidson go?

Remember Davy was Benning in 15/16, how quickly things can change.

I still want the team to improve but don’t want to see Nuge traded now in another skill downgrade.

As we spoke about in May, this was a summer of opportunity. Some GMs will make out like Bandits, others not so much.

79. Woogie63 says:

dangilitis:
    Is anyone else here worried about the team’s chances next year.

Down Sekera for most of the season and down a 20 goal scorer.
    Maroon could also easily take step back.

if nothing changes, we are literally hoping for internal improvement from further development of Draisaitl, Strome, Nurse, Benning, Drake, Jesse,Slepyshev, Khaira,and of course that McDavid fellow. We are also hoping for recovery of RNH, Pouliot,and Lucic.

Not sure Flames are going to be a bunch better

1) Smith and who are maybe equal to Elliot and Johnson
    2) Gio is 34 and during long stretches last year looked slow
    3) Brodie and Hamonic need a bounce back year
    4) They have not added or developed an new impact winger
    5) is Bennett a 2c

80. VOR says:

Dangilitis,

One of the things that has troubled me lately is the large number of smart people who have forgotten the first rule about defencemen. They don’t develop in a straight line. We can’t pencil an improved Klefbom and Larsson into the Oilers lineup. We can’t even be sure they will be as good next year as last year. We can’t be sure Benning and Nurse will improve, hold, or get worse. None of them yet have enough games to be “sure things”

So in general, I share your unease.

I know lots of people here think, the Oilers came with in a few bad calls of going to the semi-finals of the Stanley Cup, they must be legit. My problem with that sentiment (and God knows I’d like to share it) is that the mathematician in me says luck is a key part of both regular season and playoff outcomes. We have no way of being sure how much luck was involved in getting the Oilers to within a couple of bad calls of the semi-finals of the Stanley Cup.

There are certainly some warning flags that suggested the Oilers might have had some luck:

-The remarkable lack of injury to key players during the regular season.
    -The incredibly Oiler-centric schedule.
    -The insane PDO of Leon Draisaitl in the playoffs.

I can’t see any of these things as being repeatable.

And I am not sure Talbot can play that many games again. I am sure he shouldn’t. A lot comes down to Brossoit and maybe Gordie’s Elbow is right and he will rise to the occasion. But again it isn’t an old established tandem.

So as I said, I share your unease.

81. dangilitis says:

Gordies Elbow:
    dangilitis,

Feels weird.

I know, and I did edit to add the Swedes because I forgot how young our top pairing D are.

It’s just tough to see Calgary making additions while we have subtracted in big way with sekera out and
    Eberle gone. Adding 1 or 2 forwards in free agency would make me feel more comfortable, even a vet like Iggy. If Smyth played his final season in 2017-18, he would have had value and I feel Iggy could do the same. Plus it would be the ultimate fuck you to calgary. Marleau and Thornton would be great but their price will be too high

dangilitis:
    Is anyone else here worried about the team’s chances next year.

It seems reasonable to me that Nuge recovers, that a player like Slepyshev and or Puljujarvi step forward and help out. Frankly the Oilers should keep their powder dry on July 1, the club has been very active in the last two editions.

83. dangilitis says:

Woogie63: Not sure Flames are going to be a bunch better

1) Smith and who are maybe equal to Elliot and Johnson
    2) Gio is 34 and during long stretches last year looked slow
    3) Brodie and Hamonic need a bounce back year
    4) They have not added or developed an new impact winger
    5) is Bennett a 2c

There is a video on TSN addressing whether Calgary’s defense is now better able to handle McDavid. I don’t know of any of its content, because I already know the answer, and that’s a resounding no. Having to face Hamonic in addition to their top D trio is not going to suddenly prevent him from producing. What it will do, however, is make the Flames harder to play against for everyone else, and that’s a problem. Swapping Engelland for Hamonic is a big win for them. I don’t think Foo will be any better than Versteeg, and likely worse, but it does also address some of their issues with forward depth. I also think Smith is a gamble and nothing more sure than Elliot or Johnson. Oilers were in a similar situation before Talbot but if one of their bets pays off that’s no good for Oil country.

84. dangilitis says:

Lowetide: I think there’s a worry about injury to Talbot or 97 and of course the injury to Sekera sets the defense back in a big way. Overall? No, I’m not concerned about this team being competitive in terms of the Pacific Division title.

I’m truly glad smarter people are not worried. I think an ideal scenario would still be to trade for a D and acquire another forward via free agency without breaking the bank or acquire another D via free agency but I understand these scenarios are easier said than done.

85. Gordies Elbow says:

Woogie63,

– Smith is 35, and was playing in Tippet’s system. He might be better than Elliot and Johnson.
    – They don’t have a signed backup.
    – They have 5 NHL defensemen signed, one who will be 34 before the season starts, and 2 whom you’ve identified that need a bounce-back year. The other is 29 year old Matt Bartkowski, signed for the year at $612,500.
    – Stone, Versteeg and Chaisson are UFA’s and can sign anywhere July 1st.

Are they better? And the better question, even if they’ve improved, have they out improved the expected performance of McDavid and Draisaitl (in a non-world cup of hockey year, or a year Germany needed to win games in the summer) and players like Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Benning, Cagguila, Slepyshev, hell even Kassian.

For the first time since the 80’s, I hope the Flames have improved. Makes the victory sweeter.

86. Gordies Elbow says:

dangilitis,

The Sekera loss is a huge one, hoping Edmonton uses its cap space on a Markov for a single year to help cover. Cody Franson? Maybe, but I think that a better defender is needed.

Eberle vs. Strome? I really don’t know how this is going to play out. Given the Strome-McDavid family connection, would anyone be shocked to see Strome as the first line right winger? Many thought that Strome was getting the short end of the stick in NYI, and while Connor and Ryan don’t have the terrible video that was “the hand thing” between Dylan and Connor at the draft, there are similarities between Dylan and Ryan that make playing Connor with them interesting.

87. dustrock says:

I would still pick Anaheim and Edmonton as top of the class in the Pacific. Kings and Sharks are getting older. Flames will be good but not good enough. Canucks and Yotes and Knights will be bad.

But yeah, have to pray for no injuries. Parity makes everything so tight that you can’t afford more than 1 bad month.

I think Calgary is in pretty decent shape. They have legit goaltending and D prospects in the system. They are not old. They have a really good top four D. If Bennett and Lazar develop, they will be a dangerous team.

The lack of draft picks in the next couple of years is a problem, but that is a problem in the medium term, not today. It means they will have to aggressively pursue college free agents and undrafted CHL players and Europe.

89. elgruntus says:

ashley: More damage is done to NHL rosters on July 1 than any other day of the year.

I cringe on July 1 with this team, and for good reason.Belanger, Souray Foster, Barker, Khabibulin, Fayne, Pouliot, Gustavsson to name a few overpaid players, some of them marginal/non NHL players.

dustrock:
    I would still pick Anaheim and Edmonton as top of the class in the Pacific. Kings and Sharks are getting older.Flames will be good but not good enough. Canucks and Yotes and Knights will be bad.

But yeah, have to pray for no injuries.Parity makes everything so tight that you can’t afford more than 1 bad month.

I think the Coyotes could surprise, particularly if they hire Todd Nelson, who they got permission to speak to today.

Ekman-Larsson, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, and Chychrun is D core that Nelson can work with.

91. who says:

digger50:
    Lots of positivity tonight, nice to see.

Remember Davy was Benning in 15/16, how quickly things can change.

As we spoke about in May, this was a summer of opportunity.Some GMs will make out like Bandits, others not so much.

Don’t think Eberle was getting us Hamonic. Maybe not even Eberle plus. Agree with you on Davidson, that was an unnecessary trade.

92. Scungilli Slushy says:

Is a player over 35 who was in serious decline with their former team going to do more than the emerging 23-24 year old with far more tools to work with than the vet ever had?

In the playoffs after a long season?

Sometimes there isn’t an immediate solution, and time is needed to get a more clear picture on things, and what could actually be done to improve.

93. Georges says:

Still not sure how the Oilers lost to Anaheim. The Ducks, as constructed, are a bunch of no shot in hell pretenders. I thought our guys were good enough to get by them, at least get into the contender rounds. How to explain it? Bad luck and bad calls, sure. RNH-Ebs-Pouliot starring by the end as a 0 goal scoring 4th line, sure. Lucic, Larsson, and Talbot not making plays, sure.

CMD scoring 0.69 PPG… what?? Kept in check by Vlasic, grrr, and Kesler… what???

Randomness…

Anyway, that Seravalli playoff predictor that WG liked (score adjusted Fenwick after Mar. 1) went 4-11 this year, if I did that right. That’s impressive.

The team with the worst score on that predictor ended up winning the Cup. According to natural stat trick, PIT also had the 2nd worst 5v5 CF% of all playoff teams.

Randomness…?

94. flyfish1168 says:

I would rather have Pitlick back then sign foo. Come on Lance please come back to the Oilers.

95. Diablo says:

So much hand wringing because an over-ripe college prospect who had 1 good year signed with the bastards from the South? Come on guys … he probably got Calgary to promise playing time in the NHL as a condition of him signing … the Oilers were not in a position to offer this. Calgary will probably lose Versteeg as a result … he didn’t sign in Edmonton last year, cause he was worried about playing time … what do you think he’s going to think about Calgary signing his replacement?

So what they got Harmonic? They had one huge glaring weakness …. goalie. And what do they do? They trade assets for an old as balls Smith who was propped up for years by playing for Tippett teams that sucked the life out of this beautiful game. You know who else looked good playing for Tippet …. Ilya Bryzgalov.

The godless Falmes are going to leak goals just like last year – none of their moves change the fact that their goaltending sucks. Outside of Monahan and Gaudreau, their forwards don’t scare anyone. They’ve traded away their top picks for the next two drafts … unless they spend foolishly on UFAs, they have no way to improve their two biggest weakness … goaltending and lack of scoring depth.

They are no better than last year … they might even be worse.

96. Mustard Tiger says:

elgruntus: IMO, Souray doesn’t belong on that list. Big sexy was worth every penny as Pronger-lite. Hoping that @Dr25 develops into Souray-lite.

So Nurse is Pronger-lite-lite?

97. stush18 says:

VOR:
    rickithebear,

Great minds think alike.

Fools seldom differ.

I like rickis math. Even if I don’t always fully understand it.

I’ve kind of become a big fan of High Danger chances ruling the day. As a hockey player, you’re taught to penetrate the slot, create odd man breaks, etc.

So I think there is maybe more merit to that than possession numbers, and rickis insisramce that dman need to protect these areas at all costs.

Unlike ricki, I think you need offensive dmen. I think he’s missing part of the equation somewhere there. But I still find it interwsting

98. stush18 says:

Georges:

CMD scoring 0.69 PPG… what?? Kept in check by Vlasic, grrr, and Kesler… what???

Randomness…

Randomness…?

The predictability of CORSI has been dropping for a while now.

I kind of wonder if teams are so educated in i, they’ve adapted their styles to it? It can’t be coincidence that as the analytical movement has been gaining steam, the reliability of these numbers has been dropping.

Also, you should post more. I enjoy them

99. PunjabiOil says:

Not any sense of urgency from the suits at Kingsway.

There have been conflicting reports on whether McDavid is willing to sign 5 or 8 years. Rishaug, who is connected, suggested ~13M range for 8 years. I can live with that.

Having that said:

1. Until he’s signed, we don’t know. A 5 year extension means the summer heading in, you have to have the extend or trade him. Window is effectively 5 years from today if he chooses for the shorter term contract.

2. This is the final year of his ELC. Should (IMO) have been buyers last deadline. Now going into the season with a downgrade from Eberle to Strome and no healthy Sekera until December at minimum? Not as favourable of a schedule and many players ripe for regression.

3. You wont win a cup every year, but as a GM, you have to put yourself in a position to give yourself as many bullets as possible. It appears now the 2017-2018 will be another development season and a wasted bullet. You want a GM who is exploring every possible option to improve in COMBINATION of internal growth. Chiarelli appears to be content to call it a summer. SMH.

On a side note, the lack of spine by the Edmonton MSM is absolutely sickening. Rishaug and Gregor are the guiltiest parties. Both vow they are not fans, are impartial, etc. – but all the evidence suggests otherwise.

Access has a price. At least it so appears.

It’s quite sad, actually.

100. Gret99zky says:

Diablo:

They are no better than last year … they might even be worse.

This is a well cut jib. I like it.

101. Chachi says:

For those worried about Calgary, this is their starting goalie:

George McPhee thought so highly of their young unprotected players he signed Deryk freaking Engelland instead of picking one of them.

They spent big on draft picks to get Hamonic who, by all statistical measures fancy and traditional was atrocious last year. Yes, he was coming off of an injury – he is always coming off of an injury.

Their top 3 d-men are formidable, but I don’t see them being any better than last season and if they swap Foo for Versteeg they are probably worse.

102. Georges says:

The Pens won the Cup with this d-corps:

Hainsey, L
    Cole, L
    Daley, L
    Dumoulin, L
    Maatta, L
    Schultz, R

Who is Travis Hamonic and what does he do? He shoots right. That’s it? We HAVE to have him?

Pittsburgh wins with a good enough defense. Calgary promptly invests in defense. Nice.

103. Optimism is like heroin says:

IMO with a couple pieces this team could do very well in the next few seasons.

To address the defense …. gotta look at this with some rose coloured glasses. If we project a 2nd pair of benning and russell and then nurse with fayne then it may allow us to get some value from fayne as a deadline sell off once Sekera returns. Now yes we will allow a few more goals against however giving Fayne a chance to prove hes tradable could be good.

At forward we need to move pouliot and if that means moving a 2nd w him or a guy from the leftorium then so be it. That saved money would allow the signing of a front loaded contract for Hanzal and short term one for Marleau.
    having
    maroon-McD-Draistl
    Lucic-RNH-Marleau
    Cags-Hanzal-Strome
    Slep-Letestu-Kassian
    this gives size, speed and grit on every line as well as a good mix of centers.

104. VOR says:

Stash 18,

I think ricki is guilty of a common misunderstanding. He believes in a static view of a fluid game. This leads him to horribly undervalue some very important parts of a defenceman’s job.

But he is not alone in this, nearly all possession metrics have the same flaw. The technology exists to allow us to see a players entire work life in real time and proper context. Eventually we will all learn to think about defencemen in terms of their impact on the game state.

However, that had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. Lately ricki has taken to saying as proof he is right that famous and smart people are telling him what a genius he is. I was merely making the point that whether people agree with you or not has no bearing on whether you are right or wrong and thus is evidence of nothing at all.

105. Chachi says:

PunjabiOil:
    Not any sense of urgency from the suits at Kingsway.

There have been conflicting reports on whether McDavid is willing to sign 5 or 8 years.Rishaug, who is connected, suggested ~13M range for 8 years.I can live with that.

On a side note, the lack of spine by the Edmonton MSM is absolutely sickening.Rishaug and Gregor are the guiltiest parties.Both vow they are not fans, are impartial, etc. – but all the evidence suggests otherwise.

Access has a price. At least it so appears.

It’s quite sad, actually.

It’s funny that you mention something Rishaug reported while making your point about the cup “window” and then admonish him and another of LT’s colleagues for being spineless. Gregor especially has never been shy about criticizing the Oilers organization. I disagree with his takes a lot of the time, but I would not call him spineless.

106. fuzzy muppet says:

If McDavid is getting 13+ than he has to know he’s hurting his chances of winning.

You have to pay whatever it takes, but he(we) need to come to terms that they may never win with him getting that much of the cap.

107. Chamucks says:

fuzzy muppet,

Russell sure-as-shit didn’t take a paycut, why is McDavid expected to? 13 million+ is a bargain for a 20 year old Hart Ross winner.

108. PunjabiOil says:

I haven’t seen much evidence of that.

Here’s an example:

Maybe I’m biased, but not a fan of Gregor. Can’t stand him. Just tries to stream roll every time someone disagrees with him, and acts like he’s a brilliant hockey mind. That’s the type of vibe he emits.

That’s not to say others, including myself, don’t from time to time. He just takes it to a whole new level.

And if you correct him / circle back to a stance, he will refuse to admit he was wrong.

Might work for some people, but I’d rather adjust my viewpoint to alter with reality than stubbornly argue a point when I know I’m wrong.

109. Chachi says:

PunjabiOil:

I haven’t seen much evidence of that.

Here’s an example:

Maybe I’m biased, but not a fan of Gregor.Can’t stand him.Just tries to stream roll every time someone disagrees with him, and acts like he’s a brilliant hockey mind.That’s the type of vibe he emits.

That’s not to say others, including myself, don’t from time to time.He just takes it to a whole new level.

I don’t see how Gregor saying that the hope is that Caggiula becomes a skilled pest and that college free agents are overrated proves anything. Isn’t that an example of adjusting his viewpoint? I’m not a fan of his either, but it seems like his greatest sin seems to be disagreeing with the people who think the Oilers should have done more so far this off-season than they have. He may be wrong and your other criticisms of him are bang on, but I don’t see how that makes him spineless.

110. theres oil in virginia says:

flyfish1168:

YES! It’s really a shame that all of us here have been saying for years that this guy has what it takes to be a legit NHLer and LT gave up on him so easily.

111. russ99 says:

IMO, it would be utter foolishness to go around and spend money like crazy without knowing how much your two top players will cost.

This is the reason for the measured offseason:

Making smart gambles with our draft picks instead of sending them to other teams.
    Moving a flawed player in Eberle for a younger player with lower cap number and a high ceiling who’s a better fit in McLellan’s system
    Giving a key defensive player who helped us win almost two playoff series a 900K raise
    Bringing back a bottom six forward at an affordable price
    Bringing back a good #7 D at a rock bottom price.

112. Pouzar says:

Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) · Twitter

Further to @TSNRyanRishaug McDavid mention, hearing deal will be around $13.25M for 8 yrs. Big win for EDM to get that term, as opposed to 5

113. russ99 says:

Pouzar:
    Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) · Twitter

Wow, that would be sweet.

114. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Is Drai going to sign for 8 years at barely over half McDavid’s salary?

I know criticizing the Lucic and Russell deals is flogging a dead horse and a lot of people still argue that they were fair deals but oof.

I said in the past that paying Drai for 1RW production on 97’s wing, as opposed to 2C production (yes, glimpses of it in the playoffs for sure) is going to hurt.

Let’s guess it is 8.5? 13.25, 8.5, 6? Bye Nuge. Nice knowing you. Can’t pay almost 28m for three centres.

115. hags9k says:

13.25? That’s huge. Unless the cap goes up, that’s going to really weaken the supporting cast.

116. smellyglove says:

13.25 for Connor would be disappointing.

Not that this applies to him, but handing out big contracts really tanks trade value too.

Look at Eberle. Proven top line player, traded for middle 6 tweener winger.

People jump for joy when the team saves an expected 550K on a player like Kassian, and praise Chiarelli. Now we have $10 million bundled up in Lucic and Russell for the next four(+) years.

McDavid and Draisaitl are going to cost $21 million combined.

117. Pouzar says:

Yeah it’s a big chunk of change. We have the best player in the world for 8 years but maaaan.

118. krakman says:

Lucic is Chiarelli’s biggest mistake to date, 6 mill for a winger that can’t play on the top line is crazy, and its only for six more years!

119. blainer says:

Diablo:

They are no better than last year … they might even be worse.

120. Mr. D. says:

krakman:
    Subscribe to our RSS FeedFollow us on Twitter

HomeContact

Problem is that when UFA’S are coveted by a lot of teams..you need to overpay. When in Edmonton..you need to overpay.

hags9k:
    13.25? That’s huge.Unless the cap goes up, that’s going to really weaken the supporting cast.

That is why you shouldn’t give 4-year NoMove Contracts (with restrictive trade covenants in the last two years) for $4 million dollars to 30-something 3rd pairing D.