KISHI BASHI (THIS MUST BE THE PLACE)

Drake Caggiula is fast and small, and seems to get a lot of chances. Will he cash more next season? Anton Slepyshev has a heavy shot, the Rogers Place boards make a distinct sound when the bullet hits the bone. Jesse Puljujarvi is a giant who can skate and ramble, if he ever finds a way to score goals we’ll sing in the sunshine, we’ll laugh everyday.

How, pray tell, can we tell which one of these men is going to be ‘the one’ to play alongside Connor McDavid for the next decade? The answer: We do not know, it has to play out. And this just in: It might be Kailer Yamomoto, or Ryan Strome, or Joel Farabee.

There are indicators. Jesse Puljujarvi has the draft pedigree and the resume. He also has youth, being a teenager and all. Caggiula and Slepyshev have an advantage that comes from being here and being old enough to possibly get first lash at the job. It don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing.

1983-84 BOSTON BRUINS

BOSTON 1983

In the fall of 1983 the Boston Bruins had a logjam at center and very little depth on left wing. It is in a very real way similar to what is going on with the Edmonton Oilers currently (strength at center and very weak on right wing) and I thought it might be interesting to see how they handled it.

• The Hockey News from October 13, 1983The left wing situation is crowded with Mike Krushelnyski, Craig MacTavish, Brad Palmer, Mike Gillis, Luc Dufour and rookies Nevin Markwart, Geoff Courtnall and Dave Reid all in the race. Krushelnyski, a reformed center, was the only one assured of a job at left wing. MacTavish (10 goals), Mike Gillis (goalless in 5 games), Dufour (14 goals) and and Palmer (6 goals) fighting for their jobs.
  • “When you score 10 goals, as I did last year, you’re expendable,” said MacTavish. “I did a lot of skating in the summer. When your job is on the line, you have to come to camp in good shape. You can’t afford to get yourself in good shape once you get here.”
  • “The only reason they got me in the first place was for my scoring,” said Palmer. “But last year it got to the point where I couldn’t even score in practice. Hopefully they still believe I can do it.”
  • One left winger who showed up at camp by surprise was Stan Jonathan, 28. He provided the Bruins with a certain toughness and fisticuffs during six years in Boston. Markwart, who was drafted by the Bruins in the first round, 21st overall, in the 1983 draft. “My major strength is I play really aggressive. I’m not afraid to use my body. I’d like to be bigger, but I’m not.”

The Bruins ended up breaking camp with MacTavish, Dufour, Markwart and Krushelnyski on the roster, and here’s how each of their careers progressed:

• Mike Krushelnyski became a pretty famous player. Among his 801 NHL games from fall 1983 to the end of his career were a ton with Gretzky, in Edmonton and then Los Angeles. He was a very good hockey player into the 90s, and scored 25 goals in 83-84.
  • Craig MacTavish had a very fine NHL career, playing in 946 NHL games from fall 1983 onward. He popped 20 goals in 83-84 which was his final year with the Bruins.
  • Brad Palmer’s NHL career was over. He spent 83-84 in the AHL and then to Finland and Austria, and was done by summer 1990.
  • Mike Gillis played the 83-84 season with the Bruins as an extra man, scoring only 6 goals. He would be heard from again by the NHL, but not as a player.
  • Luc Dufour split the 83-84 season between the AHL and the NHL. He would be dealt the following October to Quebec but didn’t play much there either.
  • Nevin Markwart did make the NHL at age 19, but it probably hurt his long term development. He had 30 points in 83-84 as a rookie, but that was his career high.
  • Geoff Courtnall played 5 games with the big club at the end of the 83-84 season, but wouldn’t make the grade for real until 84-85 (at 22). He had a fine NHL career, but not in Boston (which is pretty much a theme here).
  • Dave Reid played 8 games for the Bruins and then made the NHL midway through the following season. He had a long career as an effective role player and was on the 1999 Dallas team.

EDMONTON 2017

This fall, if Peter Chiarelli doesn’t add any veteran help up front, we’re going to see a bunch of youngsters getting 600 at-bats. This is bad. Why? Well, some of these fellows will work out and others will not and we simply don’t know who’s who.

• Caggiula, Khaira, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, Pakarinen and I’ve listed Joe Gambardella. That’s a lot of inexperience. Who the hell is going to penalty kill?
  • Ryan Strome may end up being 1RW.
  • Peter Chiarelli is going to add and it might be a LW like Patrick Marleau. The reason I mention it is this: LW-C’s could be the match and then the right wingers could slide up and down based on the youngster finding chem with McDavid.
  • Marleau-McDavid-Strome; Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev; Maroon-Nuge-Puljujarvi; Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian.

CURRENT 50-MAN LIST (39, 2SR)

1. G Cam Talbot. No. 1 goalie, his health and high performance is vital for success.
  2. G Laurent Brossoit. If the Oilers stay quiet in free agency, he has backup job.
  3. G Nick Ellis. Splendid first year pro, on par with Brossoit if he can sustain it.
  4. G Shane Starrett. Another college goalie with strong resume. First pro season coming up.
  5. G Dylan Wells. Slide rule, he’ll spend one more year in junior.
  6. LD Oscar Klefbom. Can he hit 40 points? 25 minutes a night? Quality.
  7. RD Adam Larsson. Consistent defenseman, with an edge.
  8. LD Andrej Sekera. Big part of this team will be out for months. Huge issue.
  9. LD Kris Russell. Returning with a big four-year deal and a ticket for second pairing.
  10. RD Matt Benning. Outstanding rookie, can he do it again?
  11. LD Darnell Nurse. Will be relied on more with Sekera out.
  12. RD Eric Gryba. Back for two more years as 7D.
  13. RD Mark Fayne. As of right now, he makes the team.
  14. LD Dillon Simpson. He is in a callup spot currently. Important for Bakersfield.
  15. LD Ziyat Paigin. Wingspan of a Condor. We may see him in 2017-18.
  16. LD Ben Betker. Big man should get a full AHL season.
  17. RD Ethan Bear. A player to watch in Bakersfield, could get NHL cup of coffee.
  18. LD Caleb Jones. Fastest and most mobile of the new pro defensemen.
  19. RD Ryan Mantha. Big man, big shot, good speed. Duplicates Bear’s skill set.
  20. LD William Lagesson. He’ll spend the year in SHL shutting down Swedish forwards.
  21. LC Connor McDavid. He may be getting new linemates.
  22. LC Leon Draisiatl, RFA. His contract likely holds up free-agent activity tomorrow.
  23. LC Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. I think there’s a chance he gets dealt this summer.
  24. RC Mark Letestu. Great utility, can he score 16 again?
  25. LC Jujhar Khaira. A lock for the roster, C or L?
  26. LC Joe Gambardella. As of this instant, he has a chance to make the team.
  27. RC Kyle Platzer. We’ll know by Christmas if the Oilers have any plan for him.
  28. LC Bogdan Yakimov, RFA. Genuinely shocked they qualified him.
  29. L Milan Lucic. He scored 23, played a rugged game and has more to give 5×5.
  30. L Patrick Maroon. His 27 goals last season may be a career season for him.
  31. L Drake Caggiula. He provides skill lines with a different look. Where will he play?
  32. L Joey Laleggia, RFA. If PC is done, Laleggia has an outside chance to make the Oilers.
  33. L Braden Christoffer. AHL energy winger.
  34. L Tyler Benson. Slide rule, appears to be healthy and ready to go.
  35. R Ryan Strome. He’ll be mirror man to Leon, could emerge as 97’s RW.
  36. R Jesse Puljujarvi. Looks like he’ll get the push this fall. Important he have success.
  37. R Anton Slepyshev. I think he’ll be a regular, can he score 15?
  38. R Zack Kassian. He has far more speed than anticipated, could score 10-15.
  39. R Iiro Pakarinen. Bubble player but the coach likes him plenty.
  40. R Patrick Russell. Scored only 8 times as rookie pro. Needs to fill the net this year.
  41. R Greg Chase. Final year of entry-level deal ahead, has shown only flashes.

We’re going to see a lot of additions over the coming weeks. Many will be AHL-calibre talents but there should be room for at least one significant add for the NHL roster. Buying out Pouliot to remain idle makes less than zero sense to me.

PERSONAL OPINION

Even if you hand Leon Draisaitl a contract with $9.5 million as the cap, Edmonton should have $5-6 million to spend in free agency. I’ve compiled lists all down the line here leading up to tomorrow, basing them on what’s out there and what Edmonton might be interested in. Thought I would give you my list (in order) of the available free agents.

1. R Radim Vrbata (81gp, 20-35-55). Scorer.
  2. RD Christian Folin (51gp, 2-6-8). Young, available, skilled.
  3. RD Cody Franson (68GP, 3-16-19). One-year deal? I would do it.
  4. C-L Brandon Pirri  (60gp, 8-10-18). Low-cost scorer.
  5. LC Dominic Moore  (82gp, 11-14-25). PK and FO option.
  6. RD Michael Stone (64gp, 3-12-15). Still not completely sold, will cost a lot.
  7. R P-A Parenteau  (67gp, 13-15-28). Can still score.
  8. LD Yohann Auvitu (25gp, 2-2-4). He looks like a player.
  9. LC Mikhail Grigorenko (75gp, 10-13-23). Good faceoff man, young, had utility.
  10. R Tyler Pitlick  (31gp, 8-3-11). Finally emerged, could return.
  11. R Alex Chiasson  (81gp, 12-12-24). Has some value.

Vrbata is a very good fit on a one-year deal and could end up  filling the net alongside Connor McDavid. If Peter Chiarelli bought out Benoit Pouliot to sign Vrbata, you won’t hear me complain. I suspect he is aiming higher (Marleau) but that isn’t necessary.

I actually like Yohann Auvitu most among the blue, but he’s a lefty. Folin is a bet, not a sure thing, but he’s a reasonable bet. Cody Franson is more of a sure thing and I would be pleased to see him as an Oilers addition tomorrow.

Brandon Pirri is like cup-of-soup for scorers. It may not be a banquet but it does the trick and is surprisingly satisfying. Parenteau has slow boots or he would be higher, Stone I’m just not sure of, Grigorenko has always intrigued me and his season had some good things inside. Pitlick I have always liked but suspect he’s gone and Chiasson is a Chiarelli player so I kept him. I didn’t have Jordan Oesterle on the list but like him plenty. It’ll be Patrick Marleau and or Drew Stafford.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. The McDavid and Draisaitl contracts.
  • Simon Boisvert, Prospect Insider. Oilers at the draft, what should PC do in free agency?
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. What should be done with the Pouliot cash, Eskimos in Week 2.
  • Paul Almeida, SSE. Free-agency preview, tee up SSE tomorrow.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Can’t wait!

172 Responses to "KISHI BASHI (THIS MUST BE THE PLACE)"

1. Alpine says:

I noticed Pou didn’t get the Sail On treatment yesterday. Are we sure LT is who he claims to be and not actually Ryan Rishaug? I kid, i kid.

2. russ99 says:

Competition between the young wingers isn’t a bad thing.

The cream will rise to the top and Chia can make better informed decisions on RFAs next summer.

Plus nobody will be taking shifts or games off, like some players we know.

3. Primetime says:

I have the same lineup in my head LT, just switching Marleau with Maroon. I think RNH and Maroon would be dynamite together…and Maroon is noticeably less valuable away from McD….

4. JustWatt says:

Sorry no link but didn’t I see yesterday that Pitlick was parting ways with the team? Though I saw it on a SN youtube vid. Anyone else see it?

5. Ducey says:

I am amazed that every day almost at exactly 8:30 am you come out with your morning post, LT.

Your chart could use a few teaks. Kassian is locked in at $1.95, No need for the “est”. And Capgeek has the bonus overage from last year at .825 M

And if they grab another D, they send down Fayne and that saves another $1.025 M

PK: Lestestu, Nuge, Kassian, The Drake.

Hopefully they don’t grab any AHL vet D. They have enough right now. Let the kids play. They likely need at least one F for Bakersfield though. The forward depth is terrible.

6. dustrock says:

There’s almost nothing better than getting excited about young players’ prospects for the team.

One of the few things that is better is making the playoffs. If we’re relying on young players, they’re going to bring inconsistency, through no fault of their own.

Parity has made the season such a grind, we can’t afford too much inconsistency.

7. season not played says:

If Chiarelli stands pat I understand and tend to agree which that approach. He has taken a fairly methodical approach to restructuring the team beginning with identifying RW and RHD as areas of basically zero depth and continuing by making the team tougher to play against and ridding himself of players he doesn’t believe he can win with. At least I think that is the reason some are gone. I would go one step further in the restructure and move RNH at this time but I don’t think they are in a hurry to do that.

By drafting the same amount of right shot d as left since he arrived and balancing out picks by position at forward he is structuring the pipeline. In order to establish the pipeline you need to provide opportunity. What he has done to date certainly appears to indicate he has a strong grasp of what is needed to sustain winning in a cap world.

A lot of vitriol at this point, but this is a marathon not a sprint. I think if they do nothing else this summer the team will be better than last year.

Now watch him make a big splash tomorrow.

8. TO10801 says:

Ducey:

PK: Lestestu, Nuge, Kassian, The Drake.

Agreed. Your going to need one NHL D so you can send Fayne down. That way you have 3 extras in Gryba, Fayne and Simpson who have some NHL experience.

9. Lucinius says:

I’m a bit surprised there’s been no talk of bringing in Jagr for a year. Sure he’s old, but the guy is in better shape that most players half his age and still brings some nice things to the table (few players can protect the puck like he can, imo).

I always have time for Jagr.

Hell bring in Jagr and Hemsky for one year, live the dream that was dreamed 7+ years ago!

10. stush18 says:

Ducey,

I’d add khaira to he PK list too. Also mcdavid spent a lot of time killing penalties.

Well be fine on the PK. Honestly if it wasn’t for letestus face off ability I would drop him from the PK entirely. Not sure if it’s real or not but I “know” he’s a bad penalty killer

11. LoDog says:

Williams or Marleau would be my picks for free agency. I can’t see a reason to buy out poo now unless the Oilers want to do something in FA.

Sign Williams, maybe add a D later in FA but any big name D would be in season or at the deadline.

12. russ99 says:

season not played:

If he can toughen up and fill out his frame, I see a lesser version of Kesler (without the faceoffs) 3-4 years down the road. Not sure we want to deal that for peanuts and cap space.

Worst case if that happens, we get much more at the deadline for him than we can get now.

13. Snowman says:

Jagr, Marleau, Hemsky. I’d be excited by any and all of them.

I’m prepared for Justin WIlliams or Brandon Pirri.

See what happens. Its kinda nice not to be stressing about a massive contract being paid… oh wait a minute…

14. TO10801 says:

Lucinius:

I always have time for Jagr.

Jagr would be a fantastic add. Gregor and Spector mentioned it might be too much travel for him in Edmonton, but if it is possible at the right price he would bring a lot of things to the RW.

15. stush18 says:

LT I think I disagree with your take on bringing in another LW.

I think they are looking at adding Williams and Boyle, not marleau. Imo.

I think caguilla is a lock for a top nine spot and JJ has a spot in the bottom four locked down. Slepyshev and pakarinen can play either wing. JP is going to get sent down at the start of the year imo

Maroon-mcdavid-strome
    Lucic-drai-slepy
    Cagguilla-nuge-Williams
    JJ-letestu-kassian

That’s what I’m thinking

16. Litke 94 says:

I have liked most of what Chiarelli has done, but will admit that I will be very disappointed if the money saved on Benoit Pouliot is not used to add a veteran on a short term contract.

I can’t imagine that it would take a ludicrous contract to get Marleau or Vrbata here on a 1 or 2 year deal, knowing they have a good shot at making a run at the Cup.

Considering that, I am not sure why we wouldn’t try and add a veteran, which is what Rishaug has been alluding to. I understand the argument about waiting till the deadline, but surely having Marleau on a line with Nuge and/or McDavid for an entire season to mentor is seen as highly valuable. Not to mention that the guy can still play, so you aren’t sacrificing quality for intangibles.

I trust Chiarelli after seeing the progress made last year, but I do believe there are too many upward arrows from adding a veteran tomorrow, to not be disappointed if it doesn’t happen.

17. Stud Muffin says:

I like the thought of adding Grigorenko and/or Vrbata

18. The Trade Guy says:

Oilers should sign Jagr and I will watch every game finally understanding “Squeeeee”

19. Scungilli Slushy says:

Exciting and nervous time. This could be the last season of much going on in the summer for a while. They’ll be up to the cap and positions mostly filled. Maybe we get the picture!

I’m not sure how Pirri helps at all. Last season 60 games and 18 points. Never a full season, Undersized and IIRC not even a great skater. If we don’t think Slepy, Strome and Caggiula are at least that good we should replace them. Not to mention JP.

They need vets. Helpful ones. To me Williams short term is perfect up front. I like Marleau as well. The biggest question / surprise will be what they do on defence.

20. Scungilli Slushy says:

Jagr is awesome, I’m not sure they need any more slow giant wingers for McDavid and Nuge to wait for.

21. misfit says:

I don’t see us adding anything significant up front. Strome, Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, Kassian may be largely unproven, but they’re the group IMO. I could definitely see us adding another depth defenseman (please gord, don’t make Gryba a regular part of this defense).

How about the 6’3″ RHD from Red Deer? Postma would be a much better 7D than Gryba IMO.

22. Dominoiler says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    Exciting and nervous time.

The biggest question / surprise will be what they do on defence.

Continue to rely heavily on Talbot.. 😉

23. LadiesloveSmid says:

I’d love Williams which means he’s gonna sign in Calgary

24. Thinker says:

I still don’t understand how nobody sees the potential thar Caggiula and/or slepyshev could be out of the league next year. I’ve shown in previous posts how the majority of guys in the last 3 years that are their age with similar scoring rates are. Not saying they will, but people are only willing to bet on the upside, when they could easily be like yakupov year two, or gagner, who were better players to start with.

Ducey:

PK: Lestestu, Nuge, Kassian, The Drake.

Ducey: Thanks for the kind words. Bah! I thought I had updated. I do think they need three sets of forwards for PK.

26. Chachi says:

Lowetide: I do think they need three sets of forwards for PK.

This is especially true when one of your main penalty killers, Kassian, also leads your team in penalty minutes.

27. jtblack says:

Primetime,

This is an excellent lineup with lots of versatiliy!

hope we sign Marleau. He can PK, still can skate.

28. Jaxon says:

TOOK A GANDER AT THE PROSPECTS FOR 2018. bloodlines:
    Andrei Svechnikov – Yevgeni’s brother (DET 19 OV in 2015)
    Brady Tkachuk – Matt’s brother, Keith’s son)
    Ryan McLeod – Michael’s brother (TOR 12 OV in 2016)
    Mattias Samuelsson – Kjell’s son (’88 All Star with PHI, ’92 Cup Champion with PIT)
    Jack McBain – Andrew’s son (608 NHL GP with WPG, PIT, VAN, OTT)
    Riley Sutter – Son of Ron. Nephew of Darryl, Duane, Brent, Rich, Brian. Cousin of Brett, Merrick, Brandon, Brody, Luke and Shaun. Wow.
    Nikolai Kovalenko – Son of Andrei (620GP with QUE, EDM, PHI, CAR, BOS and Russian champ and MVP)
    Adam Samuelsson – Son of Ulf (1080GP, 2 Stanley Cups with PIT, 132 Playoff GP, Chicago ASSt Coash, HRT, PIT, NYR, DET, PHI). Brother of Philip (CAR), Henrik (former Oil King, former Oiler property) and Victoria (Penn State)).

29. dustrock says:

Scandella to Buffalo.

30. JDI says:

Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug 3m3 minutes ago

31. TO10801 says:

Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug 3m3 minutes ago

Makes sense. They put a waiver claim in on him I believe.

32. deankb says:

When do the value contracts start for vets who want to play with Connor? Those deals typically do not come July 1, and people in Oil Country are not exactly patient these days…

I hope we don’t start shopping until July 3rd unless we get someone willing to take less to come here tomorrow. I’d be happy grabbing a couple players on 1 year deals from the “discount” pile as opposed to giving out dollars and term. Sooner or later they are going to have to shop like Pittsburgh and Chicago do which is based mostly on internal development and cheap additions…

33. Chachi says:

Bob Stauffer‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer 7m7 minutes ago
    With McDavid/Draisaitl contracts the priority IMO the Oilers will be fairly quiet to open Free Agency.
    A “2016 Gagner-type” makes sense…

Bob Stauffer‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer 5m5 minutes ago
    2/2….that being an inexpensive C/W that has some offence in his game that can move around the line-up a bit.

34. dustrock says:

Pominville and Scandella to Buffalo, Ennis and Foligno to Minny.

35. Psyche says:

Rishaug Tweeted this morning:

“Hearing 4 or 5 teams have inquired on RW Ty Rattie, Edmonton Oilers are among the teams interested.”

36. Ribs says:

Alpine:

Pouliot isn’t completely out the door yet…

37. LadiesloveSmid says:

Guesses for Stauffer’a C/RW?

Gonna say Wingels, Grigorenko, Beau Bennett. None really good options. EDM will be worse than last year volume 3

38. slopitch says:

Well LT, Im gonna agree and disagree with you RE needing a vet. Its a young mans game. The guys in the playoffs who seemed to step up were Cags and DC. It was the vets who were the lag – Ebs, Nuge, Lucic, Hendricks (the whole year, not the playoffs) and Pou. So Im all for bringing in a vet but they have to be better then the internal options. That said, Chai moved salary for what I believe to be the player he thinks he can/will sign. Notice how he bought out Pou after the date to talk to free agents? But I agree, if they can get Williams or Marleau they should.

Drawing comparisons to teams of the past that made mistakes, ie the Boston 83 team is a good and a cautionary tale. Again I will point out its a younger mans game then 30 years ago so the younger guys had less opportunity. But I’ll also point out that the Bruins were fairly deep up front – unlike the Oilers who are still fairly shallow despite having McDavid and Drai. Being a shallow team, the Oilers need to add. Especially since as you pointed out we dont know who will develop into a top 6 player. After watching the Oilers flounder the last 10 years, the answer can be no one. But I think the culture is different, the coaching is better and the team has McDavid. Practicing and playing will him makes the game fun and easy. On that note, Id bet on some of the in house solutions panning out.

Crazy how the Bruins moved Krushelniski, McTavish and Courtnall yet still made the finals in 88 and 90. Its gotta be a sore subject for them moving guys to the team they lost to. It also shows how you can loose some moves and still build a great team. Helps having guys like Bourque, Oates, Neely around. Last note, (Im rambling) but it has an Oilers link (the Samsonov for pick that turned into Lucic trade), that Neely trade is still benefiting the Bruins roster 30 years later.

39. Scungilli Slushy says:

Dominoiler: Continue to rely heavily on Talbot..

Please no!

40. JDI says:

slopitch: Its gotta be a sore subject for them moving guys to the team they lost to.

Watching Ranford hoist the Conn Smythe trophy in 1990 was probably the worst.

41. Optimism is like heroin says:

IMO the best thing we could do to improve the RW is to bring in an older C like hanzal on a 3 or 4 year contract to make sure both strome and drai play on the wing. A rw depth of Drai, strome, Slepy and Kassian is a lot better than gifting minutes to Puljarvi.

42. Cassandra says:

Buying out a player only makes sense is you spend the savings. Otherwise you borrowed money from the future for no reason.

43. JDI says:

Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC 36s36 seconds ago

There are more: Hayes (BOS), Stuart (WIN), Cammalleri (NJ)
    1 reply 14 retweets 5 likes
    Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC 2m2 minutes ago

Bouma (CAL) also on waivers to be bought out.
    6 replies 46 retweets 35 likes
    Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC 3m3 minutes ago

Jokinen (FLA) is also on waivers to be bought out.
    0 replies 21 retweets 18 likes
    Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC 5m5 minutes ago

Expect Ryan Murphy, acquired by CAL, to be on waivers for buyout. Been a tough year, will get a fresh start to pick a new destination.

44. russ99 says:

Cassandra:
    Buying out a player only makes sense is you spend the savings.Otherwise you borrowed money from the future for no reason.

Not necesarily, Pouliot had a 2 year contract, so this is for next summer too.

Had Pouliot 1 year left, they’d been more inclined to bury him in the minors.

45. Durag says:

I have a feeling that Chiarelli has already made his move and we just need to wait 24 hours to find out what it is. Is it possible to fit Marleau in under the cap?

46. Rondo says:

Brandon Pirri and/ or Dominic Moore are my guesses.

47. McSorley33 says:

Durag,

***************************************************************************
    I agree…..and while I hope for Hanzal and a RNH trade (once they know they have signed Hanzal)

I fully expect us to sign Dominic Moore…or another pushing 40 guy to chase Ehlers and co.

Because we still need someone to win a faceoff…

48. Scungilli Slushy says:

Rattie would be for the Condors, boy if that happens they are really ramping up the competition.

49. McSorley33 says:

Hockey News:

4. MARTIN HANZAL, C, 30
    2016-17 cap hit: $3,100,000
    Hanzal is injury prone but possesses great size and two-way acumen. He’d make for an OK No. 2 center and a ***championship-caliber No. 3 center*** with an organization chasing a Cup.

50. Ducey says:

JDI:
    Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC 36s36 seconds ago

There are more: Hayes (BOS), Stuart (WIN), Cammalleri (NJ)
    1 reply 14 retweets 5 likes
    Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC 2m2 minutes ago

Bouma (CAL) also on waivers to be bought out.
    6 replies 46 retweets 35 likes
    Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC 3m3 minutes ago

Jokinen (FLA) is also on waivers to be bought out.
    0 replies 21 retweets 18 likes
    Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC 5m5 minutes ago

Wow.

Might take a flyer on Murphy and Hayes. They could hang out in the minors as depth.

51. Primetime says:

Anybody with interest in the giant sized RW Hayes? Would Chia?

52. dustrock says:

I’d look at Cammalleri or Jokinen.

53. LMHF#1 says:

I’d offer Cammalleri a mil. Always nice to have a guy like that kicking around for the young guys to learn from at a minimum.

54. Ribs says:

It’s too bad Cammelleri messed up his hand. I bet McDavid could have turned him into a high volume shooter again and have some success.

55. JDI says:

Primetime:
    Anybody with interest in the giant sized RW Hayes?Would Chia?

Jimmy Hayes

All in my brain

56. digger50 says:

Heard Rishaug say “no chance” Pitlick returns to Edmonton.

Any real reason why not?

I thought he was one of the few players that could keep up with Conner. He’s fast, he hits, he shoots the puck. Probably make a better top 9 player than where he was at; Scoring goals on the fourth line. Move him up the line up and you don’t really have to squint much to see 20 goals at the end of the year.

57. JDI says:

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports

Been told, as of right now, the #Canucks are the leading candidates to land free agent UFA D Michael Del Zotto.

The balance of power in the pacific division has shifted, oh so incrementally.

58. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50:
    Heard Rishaug say “no chance” Pitlick returns to Edmonton.

Any real reason why not?

I think its Tyler than is looking to move on – could be wrong.

59. digger50 says:

OriginalPouzar: I think its Tyler than is looking to move on – could be wrong.

He may be pigeon holed by the Oilers, they only see him as fourth line tops.

I could see Tyler wanting a one way deal as well.

Sometimes you need to change your glasses to get a new perspective on people.

60. GCW_69 says:

The more I hear about Leon’s potential demands, the more I think a 5 year deal for RFA years only is the way to go. Bring the average $ down and keep more cap flexibility in Connor’s prime.

On your list, I like Grigorenko, Vrbata, Parenteau (if no Vrbata) and I would add Kulikov if he could be had on a 1 year deal for reasonable dollars.

61. vinotintazo says:

Cassandra: The Oilers are going to sign someone and they think they’ll need that 1.7 M, otherwise buying out Pouliot was a 1.3 M x 2 mistake.

Math is hard. I thought they saved 2.7M this and next year?

62. doritogrande says:

Capologists! Can someone confirm the buyout conditions of younger players for me? My understanding is they are bought out at 1/3 of their salary versus 2/3rds of their salary; spread out over the same length of double their remaining years. Can someone confirm the truth in this? Also, what’s the age limit for it? Do Murphy/Smith-Pelly/Hayes count towards this?

Much thanks.

63. JDI says:

doritogrande,

The split is over/under 26 yrs old.

64. JDI says:

vinotintazo: I thought they saved 2.7M this and next year?

That’s what this says:

And then two more years of $1.333M in buyout cap hit.

65. TO10801 says:

I’m going to guess our signings tomorrow are Rattie, Cowan and Hayes

66. JDI says:

Darren Dreger‏Verified account @DarrenDreger

CBJ and Nashville with trade offers for Matt Duchene. Other teams still calling as well. Colorado continues to play waiting game.
    10:16 AM – 30 Jun 2017

67. Jaxon says:

I’ve made a huge spreadsheet trying to find RHD Targets in the NHL, AHL and CHL. To try to rank them across leagues I used Even Strength Primary Points /60 and used NHL Equivalency Factors to convert them to an NHL number and then converted that to an estimated 16.5 ES TOI for a 2nd pairing D. The number is then their estimated ES Primary Points per 82 games at 16.5 minutes per game.

Have a look and let me know if you have any thoughts or questions.

My initial hunches….

NHL Trade targets:
    Radko Gudas – 16.75 (NHL)
    Eric Gudbranson – 16.15 (NHL)
    Justin Faulk – 14.82 (NHL)
    Nick Jensen – 14.08 (NHL)
    David Savard – 14.04 (NHL)
    Trevor Van Riemsdyk – 14.01 (NHL)
    Damon Severson – 11.02 (NHL)
    Alex Petrovic – 10.22 (NHL)
    Brandond Montour – 13.78 (AHL), 6.91 (NHL)

Young AHL (fringe NHL) Trade Targets:
    Dylan Demelo – 23.28 (NHL)
    Scott Mayfield – 19.34 (NHL), 11.87 (AHL)
    Ryan Pulock – 13.99 (AHL)
    Ryan Sproul – 12.22 (NHL)
    Nikita Zadorov – 9.26 (NHL)
    Madison Bowey – 7.74 (AHL)
    Kyle Wood – 7.00 (AHL)

Young AHL Free Agents
    Darren Dietz – 9.33 (AHL) KHL bound
    Nick Ebert – 7.95 (AHL)
    Christian Folin – 7.74 (AHL) signed
    Michael Paliotta – 6.57 (AHL)

CHL Free Agents (from Edmonton too):
    Aaron Irving – 7.13 (CHL)
    Clayton Kirichenko – 6.28 (CHL)
    =============================
    Josh Manson – 7.36
    Brandon Montour – 6.91
    Cody Ceci – 6.65
    Adam Larsson – 5.81*
    Dan Girardi – 3.97

CHL Comparisons:
    Connor Hobbs – 12.69 (WSH)
    Ethan Bear – 7.26*
    Ryan Mantha – 7.48*
    Darren Raddysh – 6.77 (AHL deal with CHI)
    Caleb Jones – 5.04* – lower than expected
    _____________________________________

Note: The “ESP1/82@18” column is the Even Strength Primary Points/60 converted to and NHLe and then divided by 60 to get a per minute number. Then I multiplied it by 16.5 (the median for 2nd pairing) minutes and then multiplied that by 82 GP to arrive at a number that reflects their estimated NHL Primary points in a full season on the 2nd pair. I know there are many issues with this simplification, but it does attempt to put all players on one chart by points production. Problems aside, it was the best I could come up with.
    =========
    One thing I noticed is that it’s possible that Caleb Jones doesn’t have the offence that we think he does. This has him at 50% less ES Primary Pts/min. than Bear.

68. Pouzar says:

Darren Dreger‏Verified account @DarrenDreger 54s55 seconds ago
    Patrick Marleau is sitting on a 2 yr offer from the Sharks. He’s going through the process with his family, considering multiple options.

69. misfit says:

Poille hasn’t made a blockbuster trade in a whole year. He must be getting antsy.

70. TO10801 says:

Can Hayes skate?

71. Jaxon says:

Scandella, Pominville from MIN to BUF for Ennis and Foligno. I feel like Minnesota won that deal and it’s very cool that two Edmonton kids, Spurgeon and Ennis, will be reunited. I believe they are childhood friends who grew up battling perceptions together that they couldn’t make it because they were too small.

72. Georges says:

Chachi,

After thinking about the question and consulting my horoscope, I would take Gaudreau’s contract over any contract that pays Draisaitl more than Gaudreau. This is if it’s a pure hockey player question, not taking into consideration any best friends with CMD angles.

If PC pays Drai more than what Gaudreau got last year, that will make me SAD!

73. Pouzar says:

Darren Dreger‏Verified account @DarrenDreger 4m4 minutes ago
    Healed up and ready for action, Landon Ferraro with interest from Minnesota, Edmonton and Vegas. Would be a good fit for Minny.

74. jake70 says:

digger50:
    Heard Rishaug say “no chance” Pitlick returns to Edmonton.

Any real reason why not?

Well, he’s been Oiler property for 7 years and we’ve gotten the best that he can offer as an NHL player so we should be alright with it I guess. (sarcasm intended). Feels like Curtis Glencross lite.

75. TO10801 says:

Darren Dreger‏Verified account @DarrenDreger 6m6 minutes ago

Love the depth the oil are looking at. Adding guys that can jump in if injuries occur plus camp battles is great IMO

76. Chachi says:

Georges:
    Chachi,

If PC pays Drai more than what Gaudreau got last year, that will make me SAD!

I respect your call on that. I personally wouldn’t make that trade straight up even if Draisaitl had a “bad” contract. I would base my feelings on this on things like second order statistics 🙂 and because I think skill wise they are a wash, but the difference in size and age leans way more in favour of Draisaitl. This I feel is especially important in the tight checking, prison rules world of the NHL playoffs.

77. doritogrande says:

JDI: Awesome. Thanks.

78. jtblack says:

TO10801,

+1. Look at the Oilers roster from 2014. It was a disaster. PC is quietly building quality NHL depth and AHL depth. I hope he brings in a few veterans to stabilize things AND continue to build competition … A lot of ppl say the Oilers will be worse but I think we have so many young players that are going to improve that we will be better all around. 80% of the core should improve somewhat … Top 9 is going to be excellent. 4th line better than any year in the last 10.

Very excited to see what else happens between now and camp!

79. Pouzar says:

Joe Haggerty‏Verified account
    @HackswithHaggs
    W/buyout of Jimmy Hayes, Bruins officially have nothing to show for Tyler Seguin just 4 yrs after DAL trade happened. Absolutely wretched

80. Jaxon says:

Hypothetical.

If you had to move Nugent-Hopkins, what would be a reasonable return?

For RHD:

Alex Petrovic

For Forward:
    Brendan Gallagher?
    Boone Jenner?

81. Rondo says:

Pouzar,

Kinda like the Reinhart trade.

82. Ducey says:

Other than Marleau, Chia is most definitely looking at right handed shooters

83. Ducey says:

Jaxon:
    Hypothetical.

If you had to move Nugent-Hopkins, what would be a reasonable return?

Reality:

They don’t, and won’t.

84. Georges says:

Chachi,

You are so right on the size difference and implications for playoffs. If Gaudreau is your main guy, you’re always going to be worried. But, with us, Gaudreau would be playing behind CMD. And I just don’t think sill-wise, it’s a wash. Gaudreau, I think, is right near the top of the league for hockey skill. Draisaitl likely hasn’t established an upper limit, mind you, but Gaudreau is special.

I’m going to enroll in a second order statistics class this fall. Where I hope to learn fresh new takes on functions of random variables and the central limit theorem.

85. russ99 says:

Jaxon:
    Hypothetical.

If you had to move Nugent-Hopkins, what would be a reasonable return?

For RHD:

Brandon Montour
    Damon Severson
    Alex Petrovic

For Forward:
    Brendan Gallagher?
    Boone Jenner?

Thats why IMO, RNH is a better candidate to be traded at the deadline.

86. anonymous says:

russ99: Right now with contract, lower performance and strength issues, I’d think we’ need to aim to the low end of the spectrum for a reasonable return that an opposing GM would give up.

Thats why IMO, RNH is a better candidate to be traded at the deadline.

Not a chance unless they’re out of playoff contention.

87. danny says:

welp I can’t say I expected Kishi Bashi

88. J-Bo says:

It’s alarming how high the percentage of people is that have Slepyshev in the top 6 to start next year. The two needs for the depth chart at this time is a top 6 RW and a bottom pair RD who could move to top 4 if Benning falters. At this point, Slepyshev should be slotted to start on the 4th line RW with Kassian in the top 9 with Puljujarvi. Don’t get me wrong, I like Slepyshev, but we should not head into the season with him penciled in as top 6. If we add no more RW’s and Drai plays center, Kassian should be in the top 6. Not ideal, but makes more sense to me. I think we will see a RW/C and a RD added for 3-4 mill total for the two and on 1 year contracts.

89. russ99 says:

anonymous: Not a chance unless they’re out of playoff contention.

90. russ99 says:

J-Bo:

Slepyshev is a better fit for second line with Lucic and Draisaitl better than any other winger.

If Draisaitl is still on Connor’s line and we’re running Lucic – RNH (or another center) then I’d say yes, we need a veteran there.

But Kassian is too valuable on the third line that looks like with Strome and Caggiula to move up, we still need a heavy player on each line and will need secondary scoring from the third and fourth lines.

I’m not betting on Puljujarvi yet, I think there’s a good chance he starts the year in Bakersfield unless he has a great camp. If we acquire a veteran RW in the next few weeks, even more so.

91. classict says:

russ99,

Nuge possibly…

If Nurse isn’t forcing his way into the top 4 by next year he won’t be getting much of a raise and we can maybe keep them all. Same with Benning though he was pretty good this past year. And if they’re both good enough to play top 4 and commanding top 4 money (3.5mil+) then I imagine one of them has to go.

Honestly if we weren’t short on D I’d consider trading Nurse right now while his value is really high.

danny:
    welp I can’t say I expected Kishi Bashi

Haha. My daughter played it for me on the way back from her work last night. I love that song (Talking Heads) but that version is fantastic.

93. jtblack says:

Watching some of the clips on Semenko and what the past players said about him ..

What’s the line? “Win together and you will walk together thru history” …. something like that …

Those Oilers teams were amazing; glad to see they all respect each other and are friends ….

94. Chachi says:

Georges:
    Chachi,

I guess we differ on where we see Gaudreau skill wise, and it might be my anti-Flames bias kicking in, but there is no doubt he is dynamite in the offensive zone. I also see checking as a skill and I think while Draisaitl has a lot to learn he will be a better player in the defensive zone than Gaudreau could ever be. My comments on size should also be tempered by the fact Gaudreau has been remarkably healthy for someone as diminutive as he is.

I applaud your desire to improve your knowledge of the dark arts. I will continue to make an ass of myself throwing around nonsensical terms in an effort to make myself sound smarter while making simple mathematical and factual errors in my posts. “Two roads diverged in a wood” and all that.

95. TO10801 says:

Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug 3m3 minutes ago
    Tyler Pitlick definitely moving on from Edmonton. Lots of interest out there and likely to land multi year deal at over 1m per.

That’s absolute craziness for 31 games with a high shooting percentage. Would be crazy even if the injury was a one-off.

96. MrFancypantss says:

Always loved a good cover tune Lowetide and this
    one is a fav!
    If you’re a Modest Mouse fan check out this bluegrass cover of Trailer Trash.
    Cheers for the great work.

97. LoDog says:

TO10801,

Very crazy, I wouldn’t give him more than the min, hope for the best for him but dude rode a hot SH% and then got injured again.

98. anonymous says:

russ99: His salary has to be moved before next July. Would you rather keep RNH or Nurse and Benning?

It may have to be moved but it won’t happen at the deadline if we’re in playoff contention.

Stone to CGY three years times $3.5M. Trade coming?

100. Ducey says:

b) plus Fayne and Korpse come off the books. That’s $4.6 M
    c) the cap may go up
    d) Letestu and his $1.8 may not be retained
    e) Maroon likely prices himself off the team, and won’t be back
    f) they have $38 million for 2018/19 right now. Lets assume Leon/ Connor take another $20M. That’s only $58 million with contracts for Nurse, Benning, Slepy, Drake,and Strome to do. I can’t see them adding up to $20 million.
    g) if you trade Nuge, you don’t trade him before the playoffs. There would be plenty of time to do it in June/ July when teams can absorb a big contract.
    h) if Nurse is really that great to earn big bucks, maybe you trade Sekera/ Russell instead.

Miles to go, but trading Nuge is far from a necessity this season.

101. npanciroli says:

I don’t get this for Calgary.

102. VOR says:

George,

Some of my favorite courses were what the U of A now calls Life Contingencies – great name. In my time they were known as Actuarial Math. I know it sounds boring as hell but it was fascinating learning all the ways people die – my favorite was the guy trying to see how many cigarettes he could smoke in a row before he died. Ever since I have collected stories of people chain smoking themselves to death. Every year someone dies this way –

In any case, that lead to be my interest in epidemiology and population statistics.

So if 2nd order statistics interests you I say go for it. They are actually widely used in the financial industry and in predicting earth quakes and finding oil. I personally always liked higher order stats but to each his own.

103. Strapping Jocks says:

Not sure what the current policy around here on rumours is, but our buddy Eklund at Hockeybuzz, is reporting that one Jaromir Jagr is interested in playing with the Oilers this coming season.

104. frjohnk says:

Stone to CGY three years times $3.5M. Trade coming?

Hamonic to the Oilers?

2 firsts and 1 second is my guess

105. Chachi says:

npanciroli:

I don’t get this for Calgary.

The signing also costs them a 5th round pick in the 2018 draft,

106. npanciroli says:

Why pay Stone 3.5 million for that long to be on the third pair?

Although it is good backup considering how awful Hamonic’s last year was. Maybe that is the reason. They really need to upgrade the forwards though.

107. anonymous says:

Ducey: a) his salary does not have to be moved by July. If it has to be moved it would by September
    b) plus Fayne and Korpse come off the books. That’s $4.6 M
    c) the cap may go up
    d) Letestu and his $1.8 may not be retained
    e) Maroon likely prices himself off the team, and won’t be back

Miles to go, but trading Nuge is far from a necessity this season.

Agreed, if he starts the season an oiler, he’ll finish it an oiler. Barring a collapse and a sell off.

108. Scungilli Slushy says:

npanciroli:

I don’t get this for Calgary.

Maybe the insanity continues and they can’t stand Dougie’s red sideburns.

109. frjohnk says:

Not going to link to it. But Sportsnet has a great article on how Dmen affect play as neural zone drivers in good or bad lights.

And there are the stats for our Dmen during the post season.

Player…………Exits with Possession Possession %
    Oscar Klefbom 54 55.67
    Andrej Sekera 34 53.13
    Darnell Nurse 39 47.56
    Matt Benning 28 47.46
    Adam Larsson 49 46.23
    Kris Russell 50 42.74

From the article
    “It wouldn’t be a discussion about microstats and defencemen without a section on Kris Russell, who has somehow been turned into the poster child for the debate. That’s in large part due to first Jim Nill’s and then Peter Chiarelli’s continued assertions that he’s amongst the league’s best puck movers when it comes to breaking out of his own zone.”

Russell does in fact get the puck out of his zone more frequently than any of his teammates, but it’s important to consider the details of why he’s in the position to do so and how he accomplishes it. Exits tend to be a function of opportunity – for you to be breaking out, you need to have initially spent time hemmed in your own zone.

This is why we should be more interested in the far column on the right, which illustrates what the player is doing with those opportunities and whether he’s actually moving the puck with purpose or just aimlessly clearing the puck out of danger. This is where the case for Russell as an effective puck-mover really falls apart, because despite being an able skater not devoid of skill he far too frequently settles for the safe off-the-glass-and-out:

While Russell does get past the initial forecheck by lifting the puck out of the defensive zone, it does very little good once it’s retrieved by the Ducks and skated back in. It’s not registered as a dangerous giveaway that leads to an immediate scoring chance, but it may as well be because it’s just delaying the inevitable. ”

Oilers forwards are really going to miss Sekera.

110. Pouzar says:

“Organic Improvement.”
    –Jason Gregor

111. jtblack says:

Flames are going All in … they have virtually no picks in the next 3 years and Gio will be 34 @ puck drop … This has Brian Burke all over it … mortgage the future and throw the team against the wall and see if it sticks ..

I like the “Ballsy” ness of the approach; but personally I am not sold on Mike Smith and Eddie Lack … big risk there …

But the Flames can’t be faulted for sitting idle .. Arms race in the West all of a sudden!

112. Ducey says:

Chachi: The signing also costs them a 5th round pick in the 2018 draft,

113. Chachi says:

Ducey: Cripes. They are down to two 4ths, a 6th and a 7th in 2018 (a deep draft) and then missing a 2nd, 3rd, and 6th in 2019.

Spencer Foo was very smart to sign with them. If he was looking for a team that would have few prospects pushing for the same job as him in the NHL he couldn’t do much better than the Flames.

114. krakman says:

frjohnk,

Chiarelli keep mentioning a stat that shows Russel is one of the top dman in offensive zone entries, does anyone know where he got that from as it seems opposite to most of the stats I see.

115. VOR says:

Ducey,

Not to quibble but you missed, the replacement for Letestu or Letestu, Maroon (who could cost a fair amount), Pakarinen (cheap as would be his replacement but you still need a body), Brossoit, and Ellis (one of whom will be the back up goalie in all likelihood). Nor have you built in money to sign Kailer Yamamoto who won’t be big bucks but his bonuses will be significant. Then there is any free agents we sign this year for more than one year.

I have tried this several times now and I can’t see the total for the RFA/UFAs or replacements being less than $18 million and that is just to run in place (though you may disagree). So I get it being a minimum of $76 million if you don’t add another free agent this year on more than a one year deal, don’t sign Yamamoto, and are right that McDavid and Draisaitl only come to $20,000,000. With a likely cap of $78 million that is way too tight.

Some contract has to be moved to get breathing room.

116. Woogie63 says:

Hamilton to Avs for an elite forward?

117. GMB3 says:

russ99: I believe McLellan’s end of season remarks about RNH, they see something very useful there if he comes back after a summer of building more strength and changes his game to get to and be effective in the tough areas.

You hate Nuge yet love Russell and this blows my mind.

118. Chachi says:

Woogie63:
    Hamilton to Avs for an elite forward?

Straight up for Joe Colborne. I hear he’s just as good as Draisaitl.

119. LadiesloveSmid says:

Finally a bad move from Calgary.

I probably rank Russell above Stone. No NMC though. And he’s being played at 3RD as a right shot, not 2RD as a left shot.

120. vinotintazo says:

Chachi: Straight up for Joe Colborne. I hear he’s just as good as Draisaitl.

hahaha

121. Jaxon says:

VOR,

And Nuge is the only moveable big contract. The rest have NMCs: Lucic, Sekera, Russell, and Talbot (I like Talbot’s contract). They better not move Klefbom or Larsson. There in a bit of a pinch for sure.

122. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woogie63:
    Hamilton to Avs for an elite forward?

Maybe, would be running in place for the Av’s who already have a right shot semi chaotic offensive type in Barrie. I’m not sure how much they want to spend either, so if they move Barrie for cap really they just lost a good forward and got no better on D.

123. Andy Dufresne says:

Waited to post this. Didn’t want to derail the thread.
    Apologize in advance for the wall of text (two posts)and my self indulgence here.

Like a half a million Oilers fans (the old silver haired ones) I feel a personal attachment to Dave Semenko in a way that only holds true for local guys like Smitty and Grant Fuhr. For me Sammy is a one of a kind, an original, Enforcer Extrordinaire (although he never viewed himself as such), highly skilled hockey player (you have to be to play in the NHL), and down to earth completely likable human being.

If you were alive to witness the Battle of Alberta, then you probably love and respect Sammy in a way you would a big brother. The guy was simply the best at what he did at the time that he played the game.

He won more one punch fights than anyone I’ve ever watched play, and scored more goals off of misc body parts than anyone I’ve witnessed. What most of us don’t realize is that he was not a fighter by nature, it didn’t come naturally to him character wise, but did come naturally physically.
    He was a Wheat King and an Oiler and an Edmontonian; He boxed with Mohammed Ali; He partied with the boys on the bus; He hoisted The Cup in tandem with his father; His name is on The Cup twice.

Excerpt from book “Looking Out for Number One”
    Wayne Gretzky: “There weren’t many goals that I scored as an Edmonton Oiler between 1979 and 1986 that Dave Semenko didn’t assist on…..the record book might not show Dave with that many assists, but believe me, he deserved them. …Believe me when I say that Dave Semenko was the toughest of the tough…his reputation for toughness was legendary among the pros. Im convinced that Dave Semenkos presence as an Oiler was felt by visiting teams from the moment they started the forty-five minute airport drive into Edmonton. But what made Dave so special to the fans and his teammates wasn’t his toughness, but his ability to keep things in perspective. To remind us all that hockey is only a game. To let us laugh at, and with, one another.

When I think of Dave Semenko now, and I often do, I don’t picture the piercing glare that caused other heavyweights to look down or up or anywhere but back at David. I remember instead the little smile, the quick wink, and the words, “Don’t worry Gretz.” And you know what? I never did.”

124. Andy Dufresne says:

My kinship with Semenko comes in part because we are the same size and approx. the same age.
    I once had the priviledge of attending an Oilers party with the likes of Semenko, Gretzky and others. (One of the more interesting guys to talk with was soft spoken Lee Fogolin). Anyway, people got very drunk very fast and about an hour in, a guy walks/staggers up to me and utters these words, “Mr. Semenko….I’m a huge fan…would you sign an autograph for me….” Id had a couple and somehow, with some twisted logic it just seemed appropriate to say to the guy….”Sure, gotta pen?” he hands me a pen and cigarette package and I sign it “#27 Dave Semenko”. He was falling over himself with appreciation.

The entertainment that night was Ronnie “The Hawk” Hawkins (hellava band) and Tanya Tucker (in her prime). About twenty drinks into it by now, I grab a Rose off of one of the tables and jump up on stage, security approaches me quickly but Tanya waves them off, motions me over, takes the rose and plants a kiss on my cheek. I dunno, maybe like the drunk guy she too thought I was Semenko.

I own several Oilers Jerseys but only one official/authentic jersey …..#27 SEMENKO. Don’t think I’ll ever get/want another one….

To borrow a line from Tanya…..”And did I hear you say he was a ameetin you here today to take you to his mansion in the sky”….

125. GMB3 says:

Thinker:

Also plenty of guys who didn’t establish themselves till 22/23. Acknowledge both sides of the coin.

126. VOR says:

Jaxon,

I thought you might like to add Calgary’s AHL D man Rasmus Andersson to your list. I am guessing if Calgary does move a D to the AVs it will probably be a righty. Then Andersson will be their 3RD this year.

jtblack:

Flames are going All in … they have virtually no picks in the next 3 years and Gio will be 34 @ puck drop …This has Brian Burke all over it … mortgage the future and throw the team against the wall and see if it sticks ..

I keep reading the Flames are geniuses! 🙂 Expect we’ll see trades to stock the system when the dust clears. I don’t like their goaltending any more this season than last, and as I mentioned this morning Stone is a good D but something tells me he won’t cover this bet.

I love their top four and some of their youngsters but they would need to pull a royal flush to win the Pacific.

128. Ducey says:

VOR:
    Ducey,

Some contract has to be moved to get breathing room.

Its a fair quibble. I think its close though (within $3 million), which means we are not looking at certain salary cap Armageddon.

Maybe all the RFA’s kick the jambs out. I doubt it. Maybe there is a LTIR. Maybe they have to be more mercenary about allowing guys on ELC’s to hit their bonuses.

We don’t really know until we get there.

129. VOR says:

Andy,

Great story.

130. frjohnk says:

krakman:
    frjohnk,

Who knows, but the numbers I have seen show that Russell was below average on the Oilers on clean O zone entries which include either him carrying the puck in or he passing it to a player that enters the zone with possession.

And most would agree that matches the “eye test”

131. frjohnk says:

Lowetide: I keep reading the Flames are geniuses! Expect we’ll see trades to stock the system when the dust clears. I don’t like their goaltending any more this season than last, and as I mentioned this morning Stone is a good D but something tells me he won’t cover this bet.

They have a ton of prospects bubbling underneath
    -A deadly top 4. Gio even though he will be 34, and Hamilton last year were one of the best top pairing Duos in the league.
    -A pretty good top 9.
    -Goaltending still a ? mark though

132. Scungilli Slushy says:

Andy Dufresne:
    My kinship with Semenkocomes in part because we are the same size and approx. the same age.
    I once had the priviledge of attending an Oilers party with the likes of Semenko, Gretzky and others. (One of the more interesting guys to talk with was soft spoken Lee Fogolin).Anyway, people got very drunk very fast and about an hour in, a guy walks/staggers up to me and utters these words, “Mr. Semenko….I’m a huge fan…would you sign an autograph for me….”Id had a couple and somehow, with some twisted logic it just seemed appropriate to say to the guy….”Sure, gotta pen?” he hands me a pen and cigarette package and I sign it “#27 Dave Semenko”.He was falling over himself with appreciation.

I own several Oilers Jerseys but only one official/authenticjersey …..#27 SEMENKO.Don’t think I’ll ever get/want another one….

Very nice post thanks

133. VOR says:

Gary DeCarlo has died. You probably don’t know the name but he was the lead singer on a song we have all heard and most of us have sung at least part of: Na Na, Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye. It is sung in stadiums all over the world.

134. Scungilli Slushy says:

frjohnk: They have a ton of prospects bubbling underneath
    -A deadly top 4.Gio even though he will be 34, and Hamilton last year were one of the best top pairing Duos in the league.
    -A pretty good top 9.
    -Goaltending still a ? mark though

135. Thinker says:

GMB3: Also plenty of guys who didn’t establish themselves till 22/23.Acknowledge both sides of the coin.

Sure they do, but acknowledging both sides was my point. Putting uncertains in roles they haven’t proven capable of is a lesson we learned hundreds of times.

136. hoser313 says:

Can’t see Marleau and Thornton leaving.

SJ is still a very good team.

I hope the Oilers don’t do anything stupid tomorrow.

Wait a couple days instead then grab something off the “used” pile.

137. hoser313 says:

Edit: Unless it’s Jagr on a one year deal and his understanding that he may not get great EV minutes.

138. Andy Dufresne says:

Love or Hate him….Brian Burke has Kahonas….I think he and Treliving look at the Oilers and are pissed that their incompentence was rewarded year after year and in particular with the award of McDavid.

Like you keep saying about Whitey Herzog and Earl Weaver…..theres more than one way to win a ball game…

I think guys like Burke and Treliving have zero interest in a “ran well” scenario. Given the advantage that has been gifted to the Oilers organization, Flames management has almost no choice but to manage in a different style and to employ a different management strategy in order to truly compete.

They are going to do everything they they can to win with defence, charachter, and team cohesivness. They are going to have to mortgage the future moreso than they would otherwise like to do and they are going to have to take some calculated risks. Risks like a veteran tandum duo in goal albeit it behind top notch veteran defense. Sometimes, in fact more often than not, a management strategy is forced apon you by circumstances that were beyond your control. But the Great Managers find a way.

I see this potentially setting up to be the scenario that existed in the 80’s. Edmontons high powered offense, solid defense and above average goaltending versus Calgarys all round defensive game and a solid all round game based on team work and role playing to the nines.

Very exciting really. Like another famous baseball manager once said, “Deja Vu all over again!”

139. digger50 says:

TO10801:
    Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug3m3 minutes ago
    MoreTyler Pitlick definitely moving on from Edmonton.Lots of interest out there and likely to land multi year deal at over 1m per.

Injury is a thing though Im still betting he ends up second line right wing somewhere.

140. Snowman says:

Stone to CGY three years times $3.5M. Trade coming?

If they somehow scoop Duchene out of Colorado for one of their D I might puke.

141. Andy Dufresne says:

Stone to CGY three years times $3.5M. Trade coming?

Hope its not some package of Hamilton and Bennet to Avs for Duchesne +

142. Wolfpack says:

I always cheered for Pitlick but at some point you have to question whether a person’s body is really built for professional sports. Can anyone think of a comparable where a player had so many different injuries, and missed so much development time, and still went on to have a significant career after turning 25? Drafted in 2010 and he has played all of 58 games at the NHL level. If he goes supernova at this point, I’d consider that to be an outlier.

I would actually not be that surprised if the Oilers signed Jager to a 1 year deal. That would just be so Oilers. They could put him on a line with Petr Nedved and Juri Dopita.

143. digger50 says:

Andy Dufresne:

What a great post!

I do remember Semenko and the Oilers pre season at the GARC in Sherwood Park. Gretzky was there but many of us (14-16) wanted to stand beside Semenko just to see how big he was. We respected toughness in the game, those were the times. Many wanted to be as tough as Semenko more so than as skilled as Wayne.

The Great One was harder to like at that time. He was not fully appreciated. He was hacked and slashed and cross checked, and when he complained the entire (visiting) arena would erupt in “Whiner….whiner…whiner…” He was 179 pounds, people said he couldn’t skate. I was laughed at one night when asked who the toughest player was and I replied Gretzky. He was tough. Night after night he took the abuse and just kept coming. Took me a while to understand that.

You couldn’t appreciate the Gretz without appreciating Semenko. There were others later, but Semenko was the one who for the first few years opened up the NHL, backed people off and allowed Gretzky to play.

144. vinotintazo says:

Andy Dufresne: Hope its not some package of Hamilton and Bennet to Avs for Duchesne +

steal for CGY if they can get a 1C.
    Duchane
    Monahan
    Backlund.

145. frjohnk says:

Scungilli Slushy: They might get some role players out of them, only Mangiapane seems to have been much of a junior scorer. They are also not a very big group outside of Jankowski, typically smaller players are top 6 types. Kylington might kill it some day. More depth than the Oilers right now at forward. I’m not convinced of the quality however.

You are right that there are not many impact forwards prospects. But there are enough forward prospects that give them nice depth in that area.

Matthew Philips is really interesting. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=180387
    4 months older than Yamamoto, but Phillips is even smaller.
    Terrific skater, fast and has a ton of skill. Scored 50 goals last year with Victoria. Will be interesting to see if he can make it.

They have 3 very good D prospects in Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki.
    Some decent goalie prospects with Gillies and Parsons

146. Andy Dufresne says:

Quiet everybody….theres an old man talking……

Big thank you to VOR, Scungilli Slushy, Digger50 and others for pickin up what I was layin down!

Appreciate it.

147. Wolfpack says:

I was working for a radio station in Trail, BC in the mid 1990’s and the city hosted the Senior Babe Ruth World Series for 16-18 year olds. Turns out that Dave Semenko had something to do with the security company that was hired for that event. So a local sports collectible store set up an autograph session one afternoon.

I walked in and Dave Semenko was the only person in the store. Just sitting there with a stack of photos to sign and nobody else in the store but the manager. So I told him I grew up in Edmonton and idolized the Oilers during the 80’s (still do) and he had me pull up a chair. We swapped stories for probably half an hour. Not sure if nobody showed up due to poor advertising or the fact that Semenko was hated by all Canuck fans… but it worked out fine for me. I still have that signed picture and the memories of a genuinely nice guy.

148. Andy Dufresne says:

vinotintazo: steal forCGY if they can get a 1C.
    Duchane
    Monahan
    Backlund.

If that happens stop the presses…..the BofA would be back like a Full Force Gale…..aarrreee you reeaaddyy to RUMMMMBLLLE!!!

Well….No Sammy and No Hunter…..so maybe its more like a Chinook….and a arm wrestle …..but I’ll take it!

149. Ducey says:

digger50: I have a feeling Tyler will reinvent himself and we will be saying “crap” how did we miss on this kid. I base that only on a feeling and watching him last year. He was showing much better than Drake, Sleppy, JJ, Jessie, Iro so I have to wonder what he would have looked like at year end.

Meh,

The last time he was healthy for a whole season was 2009-2010. He has averaged 37 games per yr at any level the last 4 years. He has had a bunch of nasty stuff too (spleen, knees).

And he has never been a top 6 scorer kind of guy.

You know where you can get bottom 6 guys who will score you 20 points in 60+ games? Just about everywhere. You don’t overpay for them.

For example Khaira should be able to replace him.

I have always cheered for him, but if someone is going to give him $1 M+ with term, you have to let him go.

150. digger50 says:

Ducey: Meh,

And he has never been a top 6 scorer kind of guy.

For example Khaira should be able to replace him.

Reasonable assessment of situation today.

And then there is Murphy’s Law.

151. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Snowman: If they somehow scoop Duchene out of Colorado for one of their D I might puke.

Exactly what I was thinking… they always seem to be 1 step ahead of us when it comes to trades and players that lowetide and crew say we should target… kinda pisses me off…
    But… we have the one player to rule them all… so that makes me feel better 😃

152. Thinker says:

I think Pitlick will regress back to established levels, get hurt, and wind up being 4line/ ahl.

153. Thinker says:

Hope this Calgary thing doesn’t turn into the stampeders, where we pretend that we are better, but probably aren’t.

154. Andy Dufresne says:

Wolfpack,

Love that story. Thanks Wolfpack.

Here’s one last excerpt from Dave’s book “Looking Out For Number One”…that made me smile…

”I’m glad I was wearing a helmet the first time I ever met Gordie Howe on the ice. We were in Houston and the play had been whistled dead for a faceoff when Howe skated past me real slowly. He had his stick out to the side, and rather than just pull it back in when he went by me, he raised it over my head. Almost. He clipped me, right on the top of my helmet. Not hard, mind you. Even if you’d have been sitting in the front row, you probably wouldn’t have noticed anything. But he ticked the tip of his stick right off my head. And know what? At the exact same time he was clipping me, he said, “Oh, excuse me.”

It was all so casual and such an easy move for him. Just a quiet little message from an old pro to a rookie. I thought, OK I’ve been warned. And I never went near Howe again. You’d be amazed how valuable space can be when you’re out on the ice playing hockey.”

155. jtblack says:

frjohnk,

“A deadly top 4. Gio even though he will be 34, and Hamilton last year were one of the best top pairing Duos in the league.
    -A pretty good top 9.
    -Goaltending still a ? ”

Gio is on the decline …. He may be OK this year but he is not the same D man that inked the long term deal. Their Top 4 is certainly capable, but not as good as many think. Top 9 are OK. Backlund and Bennett are both not 2C, both better in 3C slot. Elliot and Johnson actually played well after October. I think Smith is injury prone and best years behind him. Lack was actually considered the worst goalie in the League last year, just ask his coach.

Like LT said: they will need a royal flush to win the pacific. I think these moves are more made out of desperation. when your Top D man is 34 and starting Goalie is 35, the time is now … So Trevling had to go all in, even though they aren’t really ready. I also don’t think their prospects are that good and now not having any meaningful picks for 2 years will greatly hurt the next GM!

156. OriginalPouzar says:

Lets not forget that Matt Duschene’s career production is similar to Eberle’s and his regression over the last 4 years has essentially mirrored that of Jordan Eberle and it has culminated in a season of 41 points and -34 (bad stat, I know, but worst on the team).

Yes, I know, he’s super fast but that speed hasn’t been doing that much for him.

The only think he has that makes him more valuable that Eberle is he’s a center and good on draws.

I truly hope the flames overpay huge for him as per the suggested trades.

The Flames are a young team. The lack of draft picks is a medium term problem. They have time to recover. They are a contender if Bennett and Lazar breakthrough.

Anaheim and Calgary are looking like the OIlers main foes in the near future.

158. kgo says:

One aspect of team building that is rarely discussed here, likely because it’s difficult to quantify, is familiarity among teammates, and among coaching staff.
    Even though Gryba, Letestu, Russel and Kassian aren’t world-beaters, I would argue that bringing in “replacement level players” in their spots would flush real value down the toilet (while providing cap savings). These guys slowly learn each other’s little nuances, subtle little tendencies, and on some shifts this provides a split second advantage.

Chia has turned over an immense portion of this roster, I believe we’ll start to see more stability, and the “familiarity effect”(TM) will start to show (to the eye, not the spreadsheet)

159. Georges says:

OriginalPouzar:

I truly hope the flames overpay huge for him as per the suggested trades.

Matt Duchene
    Season, P/GP

10-11 0.84
    11-12 0.48
    12-13 0.91
    13-14 0.99
    14-15 0.67
    15-16 0.78
    16-17 0.53

That’s not right. That’s not good.

160. John Chambers says:

godot10: The Flames are a young team.The lack of draft picks is a medium term problem.They have time to recover.They are a contender if Bennett and Lazar breakthrough.

Anaheim and Calgary are looking like the OIlers main foes in the near future.

161. StixMalone says:

I think Calgary comes up with trade ideas because they read Lowetide! Whenever we come up with trade ideas Flames do it? Idiots…..

162. Georges says:

frjohnk:
    Not going to link to it.But Sportsnet has a great article on how Dmen affect play as neural zone drivers in good or bad lights.

And there are the stats for our Dmen during the post season.

Player…………Exits with PossessionPossession %
    Oscar Klefbom5455.67
    Andrej Sekera3453.13
    Darnell Nurse3947.56
    Matt Benning2847.46
    Adam Larsson4946.23
    Kris Russell5042.74

From the article

Oilers forwards are really going to miss Sekera.

Larsson and Russell are at the bottom in terms of % exits with possession. Their d-partners, Klefbom and Sekera, are at the top. If I remember correctly, Larsson would defer to Klefbom when he had time; he would essentially transfer some of his good leaving the zone with possession opportunities over to Klefbom. Larsson was treating Klefbom as his exit and trying to give Klefbom clean looks. Any chance Russell was doing the same with Sekera? Maybe this is what the coach wanted…?

It looks like Filipovic invested a lot of time into this exercise. A little bit more time to evaluate the defenseman’s decision-making (i.e., did Russell “aimlessly” clear the puck or was that his best option; did he take some of his clear exit opportunities and hand them over to Sekera?) would’ve been very useful.

163. Scungilli Slushy says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    I’d love Williams which means he’s gonna sign in Calgary

Luckily they have run out of money unless they trade. 9M and a bit and they need to sign 6 guys including Benett.

164. Professor Q says:

Dallas Eakins to Arizona will simply add to the downward spiral.

165. Scungilli Slushy says:

John Chambers: Don’t forget Arizona. They should be improved enough to compete with LA and SJ for a playoff spot.

I’m not sure Arizona has enough skill up front to run with the big dogs. They might make a deal, I’m not sure UFA,s can provide enough O and I’m also not sure how much Boy Wonder can spend, they lose money.

166. jtblack says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I agree we should not confuse being more competitive with being competitie. Arizona was so bad and there is still a long ways off from being competitive

167. Snowman says:

OriginalPouzar:

I truly hope the flames overpay huge for him as per the suggested trades.

Duchene is closer to Taylor Hall than Jordan Eberle. He’s an even strength monster. Bad year last year, sure. But Jordan Eberle he is not.

168. Scungilli Slushy says:

Andy Dufresne:

They are going to do everything they they can to win with defence, charachter, and team cohesivness. They are going to have to mortgage the future moreso than they would otherwise like to do and they are going to have to take some calculated risks. Risks like a veteran tandum duo in goal albeit it behind top notch veteran defense.Sometimes, in fact more often than not, a management strategy is forced apon you by circumstances that were beyond your control. But the Great Managers find a way.

The advantage was gifted for sure, but the fLames and Dys aren’t just unlucky, they made the bed they sleep in by keeping aging core players past having any value to other teams and misgaging their competitiveness in doing so. The fLames are going all in with very little chance of the Cup.

If both would have cut bait at the right time they would be much further along.

169. Scungilli Slushy says:

StixMalone:

Hanzal 4x6M, he’s so good at being big he’s worth every US dollar 😃

170. jtblack says:

Scungilli Slushy,

It will be interesting. Calgary is def better than the end of the season. Eddie lack was 52nd in save % and he was on a decent team. Mike Smith was 27th in the league but on a horrible team. I think their season hinges on the health of Smith. If he’s healthy and plays 60+, they will be good. If he gets hurt I think they are in big trouble.

171. Georges says:

VOR:
    George,

Hi VOR. Always nice to get a reply from you. I think Chachi was referring to a back and forth I had with Cassandra yesterday. My comment about taking secondary statistics courses was for fun. I don’t know what secondary statistics means… maybe I should take a course. Unless I’m the only one not in on the joke here. In which case, boo!

172. VOR says:

Georges,

I kind of assumed you were kidding and in response to Cassandra. I am pleased to see I wasn’t misunderstanding your intention.

In a technical sense secondary statistics are statistics created for another purpose. They are reused statistics. I think in Cassandra’s example the idea was the PDO is made up of two reused or secondary statistics – SV% and SH%.

I was just riffing on the fact there is such a thing as lower order statistics (also higher order statistics) and within that there is a common term – secondary statistic which is used to mean a second power or second moment statistic.

A simple way to think about it is like this:

– a first power statistic would be the mean of a population
    – a second power statistic would be the variance within that population

I have always preferred higher order statistics which dealing with things like skewness.