OILERS SIGN 7, STOCK BAKERSFIELD

The Edmonton Oilers added some depth for the NHL roster and stocked the Bakersfield Condors today in the first day of 2017 free agency. General manager Peter Chiarelli spoke about other moves ahead, but as has been the case for some time the dual contracts of Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl remain a priority. For now, there are new Condors to discuss and some of these men may find their way to the NHL this winter.

NEW CONDORS

• R Ty Rattie: The most promising of today’s signings, Ryan Rishaug had the details ($700k NHL, $275 AHL) on the one-year deal. I can see this working out, as the Oilers finally have a dearth of average sized wingers with skill.
  • LD Ryan Stanton: He should also be in the mix for NHL time, Mark Spector has the contract at $700k NHL, $300k AHL and $400k guaranteed. He is a defensive defender who turns 28 later in the month. Rugged and has good size (6.02, 196).
  • R Mitch Callahan. I have written about him many times, he has skill and plays an aggressive game (undersized). He has been in the AHL for six seasons and scored 43 points in 66 games for Grand Rapids in 2016-17. Had an impressive playoff run (16 points in 19 games). He has signed a two-year deal with the team. I came to like him because of his consistency with the Grand Rapids team, a club I have compared to Oilers farm teams over the years.
  • LD Keegan Lowe. The Oilers have employed most of the 2012-13 Edmonton Oil Kings defense (Reinhart, Lowe, Musil, Gernat), with Lowe replacing David Musil on the Condors roster. Has two NHL games and plays a rugged style reminiscent of his father back in the day.
  • G Edward Pasquale. AHL veteran goalie is 26 and has played in the AHL since 2010. His save percentages have hovered around .920 for the last several seasons and he is 6.02, 215. I don’t know much about him, but if you were making a list of things to look for in an AHL goalie he seems to fit the bill.
  • R Brian Ferlin. He is another tough RW who has had some concussion issues over the last few seasons. Kirk Luedeke: He’s a big-bodied winger who has some untapped offensive tools (he was Kuraly’s USHL teammate with the Indiana Ice), but needs more time to work that out in the AHL- the B’s can’t really afford to keep him around based on the talent and experience levels of others fighting for the same position on the team. Source
  • LC Grayson Downing. The one center in the group (the Condors need centers, I am beginning to wonder if Bogdan Yakimov is in fact coming over). He is 25, comes from NCAA (New Hampshire) and has skill. His AHL numbers as a rookie were impressive, he fell off this past season. He is 6.0, 195.

POSSIBLE CONDORS

Ferlin is probably destined to become a fan favorite, as he has had a difficult road in the last couple of years but remains dedicated to the game. Mark Divver of The Providence Journal has the details here.

49 Responses to "OILERS SIGN 7, STOCK BAKERSFIELD"

1. Dominoiler says:

Centre still looks thin, but better than if none of these transactions had occurred.. oilers have sprung a very real leak; strome, Russell, and now ‘quiet FA day w only minor league additions’ all coming to fruition after being reported.. I’m liking the theme of accumulating tenacious players types, less about size (so long as size is balanced on the roster) and more about how they approach the game.. we’ll see..

Thanks for all the coverage, LT.. nice to see the condors depth chart laid out, helps us survey the horizon.. anything happen today that you wish didn’t or, conversely, that you wish had happened?.. (franson?.. not getting verbata w the very friendly 1×2.5 M?)

Dominoiler:

My No. 1 option was Vrbata, but he came off at just shy of $4 million. With Leon unsigned, I don’t think the team could risk it. Pirri is still out there, Franson too. I don’t think the Oilers were anywhere near the big names today, that shouldn’t come as a surprise.

3. Richard S.S. says:

There is a special thing on Dave Semenko on the 6th. Is Chiarelli waiting for after that to announce or is he really that far away from signing McDavid or Draisaitl.

4. Doug McLachlan says:

No big mistakes! That is a win.

Richard S.S.:
    There is a special thing on Dave Semenko on the 6th.Is Chiarelli waiting for after that to announce or is he really that far away from signing McDavid or Draisaitl.

I was surprised how many people thought it would happen today. My guess is that the Leon signing will roll out over summer or even into fall, with McDavid’s deal coming in the next two weeks.

6. Todd Macallan says:

Richard S.S.,

Rishaug said he thinks the McD signing will be announced near the end of next week, possibly the weekend, with Chia leaving tonight for the Jasper camp.

Didn’t have an estimate on Drai at this time, I tend to agree with our faithful host on the timeline for him.

7. Scungilli Slushy says:

Chiarelli mentioned being in position for a ‘proper’ deal.

You’ve always said LT the guy willing to walk has the power in negotiations, truth.

Chiarelli has patience. It’s understandable how that looks too close to inaction to the long suffering.

8. Richard S.S. says:

In his avail Peter Chiarelli said he talked to a couple Free Agents and talked with a few teams about trades. Nothing earth-shattering but a little suggestive of things to come.

9. treevojo says:

Today played out as I expected for the Oilers.

Chiarelli has mentioned multiple times over the last little while about matching offer sheets.

I think he believes there is a real threat.

The best way to resist these threats are to let other teams spend their money while sitting with a boat load of cap space.

After today how many teams are in a position to look at the Oilers cap space and believe they have a chance at stealing Draisaitl?

The longer this plays out and the more free agents that sign lowers Drai’s agents leverage.

After the way last summer played out with multiple high end rfas on teams with far less cap space should play into Chias ability to get Drai signed at a more reasonable number.

I remember Johnny Hockey not seeming overly happy at the end number and term that he signed at but he signed none the less.

Maybe Chiarelli isn’t a complete moron?

10. Todd Macallan says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Couldn’t agree more.

11. Scungilli Slushy says:

Richard S.S.:
    In his avail Peter Chiarelli said he talked to a couple Free Agents and talked with a few teams about trades.Nothing earth-shattering but a little suggestive of things to come.

I wonder. I do think he has proven he’ll pull the plug on situations he doesn’t like, that he is always looking for players he thinks will help, he will wait to lower prices, and will take a lower priced player over rushing into a deal he sees as too rich if there is no significant difference in players.

Is that not good management? What remains is his judgement.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Dominoiler:

Still have some hope of a Jagr or Markov on a one-year deal although I can’t see either coming to the West, in particular Jagr.

Bring on Ales – if healthy, I think he can excel in a secondary role.

OriginalPouzar: Is there not ample cap room for this coming season – even if Drai is signed to a bloated $9M cap hit contract (which he won’t be)?

Bring on Ales – if healthy, I think he can excel in a secondary role.

Sure, but you want to be certain. I don’t think the Oilers are done, the club has issues.

14. Ducey says:

Streit
    Weal?
    Yak- ha,ha,weep
    Vanek
    Winnick

15. DBO says:

So if they signed Doan and Franson would we be ok with it? Doan at 1 mill for 1 year. Franson at 2 mill for a year.

From his presser I expect there to be some trades in next few weeks. Vegas is the logical choice. Still think Neal could be a fit.

16. blainer says:

A bit disappointed with today as there were actually some cheap deals out there. Williams would have been perfect.

I guess now Chia will wait to see who is available after he has drai’s contact put to bed. Would not be surprised to see something done with Vegas for a D.

Pirri and Moore are still out there for Faceoff’s but can they play… Hendy could still win a draw as did Gordon but they couldn’t keep up.

I will wait to Judge Chia on the his off season until after training camp and on the opening night lineup. A lot can happen late and I expect it will.

17. treevojo says:

blainer,

I really liked the idea of williams as well.

After listening to his post signing interview and the pre signing rumours of him wanting to stay out east I really don’t think he was ever an option.

It’s a shame us posters don’t have all the information that gms are privy to.

18. theDjdj says:

DBO:

I agree on Neal. I’ve eyed him since he sniped those two (I think) goals against last year.

Vegas the team might be interested in a trade but I’d imagine Vegas the franchise would like to keep the name recognition.

Edit: it was three goals. Two of which were snipes. In that odd game with Broissoit in net where we let in two successive goals within a minute or so I’ve taking the lead. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.thescore.com/nhl/news/983281/amp

19. Nuclear leak says:

Hemmer is coming back

20. Ryan says:

Nuclear leak:
    Hemmer is coming back

Source?

21. treevojo says:

Nuclear leak:
    Hemmer is coming back

I haven’t seen this anywhere?

Any sources?

Or just nostalgia?

22. treevojo says:

Ryan: Source?

Hi Ryan!

23. Ryan says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    Chiarelli mentioned being in position for a ‘proper’ deal.

24. ashley says:

treevojo:
    blainer,

It’s a shame us posters don’t have all the information that gms are privy to.

There is so so much we don’t know and never will. I remember hearing about Manny Malholtra being upset years ago when the Oilers leaked out that he refused to sign with them because he didn’t want to be part of a rebuild. He felt that broke the code of confidentiality between players and teams. He didn’t want that information to be made public.

This was a small glimpse into a world we rarely get any view of other than when deals are consummated.

25. treevojo says:

ashley,

Exactly the reason you will very rarely see me make any concrete assessments of gms work.

I enjoy the fact that so many are concrete in their assessments.

This place wouldn’t be the same without it.

26. Cahoon says:

I know it won’t happen, but Yak put up good numbers with McDavid…

27. theDjdj says:

Cahoon:
    I know it won’t happen,but Yak put up good numbers with McDavid…

28. Scungilli Slushy says:

Ryan: Just wanted to say that you’ve been a good poster here. I appreciate your perspectives.

Thank you Sir!

I wish I could say the same 🙂

Edit: A joke!

29. Scungilli Slushy says:

theDjdj: I think the issue with Yak is his inability to play in a system. I’d like to see him back though.

I also think he could have a great career on the other side of the Atlantic. It’s a real thing, and scouts and teams should absolutely factor in culture and personality. Vor posted a link for me a few days ago regarding player personalities and risk of injury. Many of you work in high level jobs or run businesses, you know how the ability to fit in and willingness to do the job asked as asked means so much.

The NHL is no different and probably more demanding. No, it is more demanding because it is a closed environment. 713 jobs available. 31 hiring firms that act in an insular way, management moving between firms without much new blood coming in.

30. Doug McLachlan says:

Ok, what is the plan in Vegas? Trade Evelin, makes sense but then go sign Brad Hunt for two years? Already have Reinhart and Schmidt as unsigned RFAs on the left side along with Sbisa, Garrison, Stoner, McNabb and Theodore.

Sure Hunt probably passes through waivers but who have they penciled in to dress in October?

31. theDjdj says:

Scungilli Slushy: I think Yak’s game is best suited to his homeland. The Player had a piece by Kuznetzov I think, talking about the difference in the game between the former USSR and NA. It’s a different mindset, not to mention the cultural aspect. I don’t think Yak has the personality to play here, I haven’t since shortly after he was drafted. I wouldn’t have drafted him, but the other option busted as well, so moot point. Not a good NHL cohort.

I agree on his style of play suiting European hockey. Correct me if I’m wrong but the KHL largely favours individual performance and flair more so than the NHL style of system-focused play.

He’ll be a star back home. Maybe we see him come back after gaining experience and finding his game. Like a Radulov or similar.

I’m not informed enough to comment on player personality or mentality so I wont. I do agree that mentality, work ethic and personality has just as much impact in sport as it does in all other pursuits in life.

32. Scungilli Slushy says:

Doug McLachlan:
    Ok, what is the plan in Vegas?Trade Evelin, makes sense but then go sign Brad Hunt for two years?Already have Reinhart and Schmidt as unsigned RFAs on the left side along with Sbisa, Garrison, Stoner, McNabb and Theodore.

I have been thinking that perhaps McPhee was a little to enamoured of the spotlight and had verbal diarrhea, sort of like a GM the Oilers used to have, and has compromised his position.

He spilt that he was going to stockpile D and trade them, now savvy investors are sitting on their hands and will sweat him out to drive the price down.

Unless the owner is willing to tank and look at taking losses if projected attendance and other revenue such as merchandise sales don’t happen, the Knights are shaping up with serious issues.

Gary will pay to keep them afloat at the end of the day, maybe it’s an agreement or an owner’s ploy to get free money.

33. Jaxon says:

Would Alex Chiasson be a good option on RW. 12 goals last season.

Big guy and scouting reports I’ve read have him as fast. He would be a roster player that probably comes cheap.

From Dobber Prospects:
    “September 2014 – Alex Chiasson has been a refreshing player to watch for Sens fans so far this season. Chiasson has tremendous speed, especially when entering the offensive zone. He plays give-and-go through the neutral zone with ease (for those that can keep up) and has an effective, quick release on his wrist shot… Nathan Martin”

34. Pescador says:

Jaxon,

Man, I miss Pitlick already or should I say his potential.
    I look forward to watching him fly into the Oilers zone on the forecheck & crush our dmen,
    FFS

35. Jaxon says:

Mikhail Grigorenko is an interesting 4th line C/W option. He is a reclamation project but he has some real skill and, surprisingly, he had a great season on the dot with a FOW% of 57.8.

6’3″, 209lbs frame. 23 yrs. Incredibly talented player.

Prior to the draft, ESPN writer, Corey Pronman summarized Grigorenko’s potential, stating:

“Grigorenko is a very special kind of talent who scouts have been hearing about for many years…He’s an exceptionally gifted player who can control the flow of a hockey game seemingly at will with elite puck skills, vision, offensive creativity, and overall hockey sense…he’s the kind of talent who NHL sources have described as the best guy on the ice while he’s going 75%”.

Can Edmonton be the first of 3 team to unlock his potential? Has he matured enough to improve his work ethic?

36. Aron_S says:

Have any of the MSM speculated on the reason as to BP’s buyout? Looking at Capfriendly and the math, I still can’t figure out what they figured they need that extra $2.67 in room for this year.

Why not wait till next year? There has to be a move coming, otherwise why blow up your cap for an additional two years when you’ll desperately need the space?

37. Aron_S says:

Double post: I forgot to mention, it sounds like Ferlin has had the same (or a very similar) surgery to one that my dad did. Anecdotally (my dad was a much older, but fit man than Ferlin’s 24 years at the time), he basically has been unable to recover from it. My dad still has pain and is basically bow-legged from the surgery almost 5 years ago, so I hope this young man with his NHL level resources is able to beat it and play some NHL games for the Oilers.

38. Pescador says:

Aron_S:

Peter Chiarelli has been busy extracting NHL depth this offseason.
    He is not incompetent in my eye, but I thought the plan would be to add.
    What am I missing?

39. Diablo says:

Aron_S:

I’m guessing that his parting was mutually agreed upon. After the year that Pouliot had, for a coach who seemingly does not see him as a top 6 option, he probably wanted out.

The Oilers free up some cap space … maybe not for right away, but this will certainly give them a bit more wiggle room at the trade deadline. I suspect Chia wants to see what he has in players like Caggiula, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi and Khaira before adding anything major.

And they deal fairly with a player who now gets to go to another team for a chance to reestablish his value.

Jaxon:

This is something I’d like to see personally. But I wonder if the player would look unfavourably at Edmonton’s centre ice depth of McD, Leon and RNH.

If I was his agent I’d tell him to go home for a couple of years, light up the KHL then come back like Dadonov did.

40. PrairieOil says:

Looking at what Pittsburg, Washington, Chicago and San Jose has done during free agency, maybe, just maybe, keeping your powder dry is the right move.

41. VOR says:

aron_s,

Another possibility is that the Oilers are playing defense. That Chiarelli is suspicious that there actually is a team thinking of tendering an offer sheet to Draisaitl. The Oilers have to be able to match.

If there is no offer sheet then they can sign Draisaitl and use the extra money to go after one of the remaining free agents. Or more than one, as the case may be.

42. Hockey Project says:

I like Tyler Pitlick, but he also finds new and creative ways to seriously injure himself and miss the majority of the season pretty much every year. Since turning pro in 2011, he’s never really played anything approaching a full season.

43. Pescador says:

PrairieOil:
    Looking at what Pittsburg,Washington, Chicago and San Jose has done during free agency,maybe, just maybe, keeping your powder dry is the right move.

I won’t argue with that when it comes to those teams or those moves.
    As far as the Oilers are concerned I’m not looking forward to Jesse Puljujarvi in a top 6 role,
    Or what is the plan for dealing with the Sekera? Move Benning up, sure but who covers his spot? Gryba full time is a bad idea.
    Hopefully Chiarelli will sign some actual NHL players, preferably before the season starts.

44. DBO says:

Killing me that the headline on TSN was “Lamourillo knows the value of veterans” or something like that. LT and many others have long espoused the virtues of real NHLers. Stop gifting the kids playing time to see what they have. How about they earn playing time by beating out a veteran and taking a spot.

I am good with a late summer signing or two. Or a trade to fill a need more longer term. If he sees Strome as a centre, I do wonder if the Nuge for Faulk deal happens.

Doan/Stafford for 1 year cheap around $1 mill
    Franson for 1 year around $2 mill.

Not world beaters, but man it would make our depth and experience a whole lot different. Mind you, if they use Strome as a 3C , does Nuge finally get some run with McDavid as our two way skill Pisani. Has he been on the roster all this time?

Maroon. McDavid. Nuge
    Lucic. Draisatl. Stafford/Doan
    Caggiula. Strome. Slepeshev/Puljujarvi
    Khaira. Letestu. Kassian

45. Jaxon says:

Diablo:

Yeah, you’re probably right about Grigorenko. So much skill and potential. And he’d have to sign on the cheap. Maybe he doesn’t want to go back to Russia where cheques were bouncing on some teams and living under Putin can’t be too appealing either. The exodus seems to be to North America at the moment. He’s the kind of contract that Edmonton needs, unfortunately.

I think Grigorenko and Chiasson (like Yakupov) would be decent gambles at a low cost.

46. DRAGON52 says:

Puljujarvi needs a mentor. Sign Jussi Jokinen, solves wing and scoring problems.

47. russ99 says:

I know the Pouliot buyout rubs you Corsi/unicorns guys the wrong way, but it was done for more reasons than cap relief.

Addition by subtraction. They have a lot of young players on that team, so one player who won’t get with the program and work with the coaching staff is a disruptive influence

They tried to trade him all year, and the cost for any takers was likely too much from Vegas as an expansion pick or at the draft, considering those picks were needed to shore up our threadbare system.

Since they didn’t want him on the roster this year, a buyout gave us more cap room than burying him in Bakersfield two years, so that’s what’s happened.

It wasn’t done for a free agent signing or a pre-emptive offer sheet cap clearance, it was done to get him off the roster this year and expand what we have under the cap next year.

48. Oilers Sunday Night Links • The Oilers Rig says:

[…] The Bakersfield Seven: The Oilers added seven players to the system yesterday that should help the AHL club in Bakersfield. Lowetide takes a look at the new additions and projects what the Condors’ depth chart could look like come opening night. […]

49. Mr. D. says:

Eberle..Pouliot..both were on the move for two years. Neither played Chia game. Cap space approx 10 mill. yes!