If you are young, you don’t know. So I will tell you. There was a time in this fair land when the Edmonton Oilers ruled all, when giants walked among us. Luck and smarts, Glen Sather and Barry Fraser, perspired and conspired, and built the most pleasing hockey team the human eye had ever seen. Sadly, that wonderful team was ripped apart by unstable ownership, outside pressures like salary explosions and competition for talent.
Expecting Connor McDavid contract press conference to be held Wednesday.
— Terry Jones (@byterryjones) July 4, 2017
CONNOR MCDAVID 2016-17
- 5×5 points per 60: 2.89 (1st among regular forwards, No. 1 NHL)
- 5×4 points per 60: 5.96 (3rd among regular forwards, No. 24 NHL)
- Corsi for 5×5 %: 52.9
- Corsi Rel 5×5 %; 3.5
- DFF Elite 5×5 %: 55.2
- DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: 7.3
- Shots on goal/percentage: 251 shots/12.0%
- Boxcars: 82, 30-70-100 (Won Art Ross Trophy)
- Hart Trophy
- Lindsay Award
- (All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)
- Special thanks to GMoney and Woodguy for sharing the DFF’s
- Once the McDavid contract is announced, it sounds like news may be slow for a time. Leon Draisaitl’s deal has some miles to go based on estimates and free-agent additions may not arrive until just before camp (it at all).
- As I have mentioned a few times recently, the current roster construction represents a mammoth opportunity for Jesse Puljujarvi. It may also open up chances for Kailer Yamamoto in training camp. Seriously.
- Expect Nuge trade rumors to heat up once the McDavid signing occurs. Something has to give, sooner or later.
- If there is an offer sheet for Leon coming, the destinations are dwindling. Based on number of players signed, plus cap room, I’d estimate only Arizona, Nashville, New Jersey, Carolina, Buffalo and Montreal can afford it. From that group, I’ll guess Montreal is the main threat, with Carolina and New Jersey also possible.
- Nail Yakupov signed with Colorado today. I hope he rips it up.
- The celebration of life for Dave Semenko goes Thursday. Ryan Rishaug has details here.
- I don’t think we see the balance photo this summer.