RE 16-17 CAM TALBOT: JIGSAW FALLING INTO PLACE

Sometimes in life everything falls into place and your new job becomes something more. Frank Seravalli told me this winter that the Cam Talbot side told the Oilers not to trade for him, there was no long-term plans to stay. By the end of year one, things had changed. Out among the stars, as far from Manhattan as possible, Cam Talbot found home. (Jigsaw falling into place)

• RE 16-17: 56GP, 2.55 .917
  • Actual 16:17: 73GP, 2.39 .919
  • Source
  1. How good was his season? Very good, MVP this side of McDavid and plenty of people would have chosen him anyway.
  2. How far above average? NHL average SP (via hockey-reference) this year was .910. Talbot was top quality.
  3. Did he lead the league in any category? Yes. Wins (42, tied for first).
  4. Where did he finish in save percentage? No. 10 overall. This is among NHL starters, who I define as having started 35 or more games.
  5. What about even-strength SP? Tied for No. 10, .927.
  6. Power-play SP? He tied for No. 14, .877.
  7. What about playoffs? He was No. 8 (.924) overall among starters (five or more games), No. 12 in  even-strength SP (.923), No. 3 in power-play SP (.926).
  8. Would you say he is in the top half of the league? Yes. I would suggest he is around No. 10 among NHL goalies, that’s the number I would argue for in a debate.
  9. Did he play too much? I don’t recall a period where he played two weeks after it was obvious he should have gotten a rest. I tend to believe goalies can play a lot.
  10. Anything unusual about his splits? He was .923 at home, .916 on the road. Pacific Division rival Brian Elliott was .922 home, .897 road.
  11. Was he strong in certain months? Talbot’s October was outstanding, he went 7-2-0 with a .936 save percentage.
  12. Weak months? Only April really, just four games to end the year. All splits here.
  13. There was some question about him entering the year. Yes, some very smart people suggested he might not be able to handle the role. He did it in 2016-17, suspect the Oilers can count on him again in the coming year.
  14. Why were there questions? Goalies are not easily predicted, this is an extremely difficult area of the game to project.
  15. Should he be limited in games this year? I think the division is Anaheim, followed by Edmonton, Calgary and then the rest. The race may not be as intense this time, allowing for more rest. If it’s close, 73 games could happen again.
  16. Will he ever get Vezina Trophy consideration? He finished fourth. Source
  17. Just behind Carey Price! He had a better year, should have gotten more votes.
  18. Bold! True!
  19. Is this the end of the RE? For this year, yes. I start the 17-18RE later this month, so want to finish it here.
  20. Who is left? I probably should have done an RE on Eric Gryba and Matt Hendricks.
  21. Will you have time? Maybe. I need to start the next RE mid-July.
  22. Do you have an artist in mind? No. Wide open.
  23. Who was the runnerup last time? Paul Simon, with Tom Petty on deck.
  24. Does Paul Simon have enough songs for an RE? You’re an idiot.
  25. Why this song? Sometimes, things just work out just right.
  26. Why is everything so hurried this time? Oilers went deep in the playoffs.
  27. No, it’s your plodding draft stuff. Silly. The draft remains important.
  28. If you used your time more wisely. I think we’re done here.

47 Responses to "RE 16-17 CAM TALBOT: JIGSAW FALLING INTO PLACE"

1. Jon K says:

Rumour popping up on Twitter that Oilers are close to signing Jussi Jokinen. Great signing if true. Decent middle six winger who can also help Puljujarvi with feeling comfortable, one would hope.

2. Todd Macallan says:

Jon K,

Hearing the same from other “message board level” sources haha. If true it would be great (assuming 1 yr, low $).

Can play C and LW, help on the PK and shootout as well. Good point on being a JP mentor. Also historically strong in the dot.

3. Ducey says:

Jon K:

His signing might result in the Oilers sending JP to the farm.

4. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar I responded to your question last post.

5. Ari says:

Todd Macallan,

Which message boards site, Todd? I’m intrigued.

6. Cahoon says:

I love Radiohead, and Cam Talbot, and this was my favorite Re series yet!

Thom York is a creative genius. I don’t know if you’ve heard any of his other group, Atoms for Peace, but I love that too. The video for this one is cool as well

7. Scungilli Slushy says:

Signing Jokinen instead of Jagr would be for JP, not to demote him. Pak or Khaira get the the pipe as LT says, I’m not liking Khaira’s chances, at least out of camp. Because Finn.

And fair enough. JP has a formidable tool kit, and If he needs settling in its smart, and a sign of the change in developing players we’ve wanted for a decade.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    OriginalPouzar I responded to your question last post.

Yes, I saw that, thank you.

You mention trades for low picks but that isn’t really going to get us anything material at the deadline.

If we are looking to add a material piece or two at the deadline would int not costs 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, NHL ready (or soon to be ready) prospects – the exact assets that we will need to rely on as early as next season for value contracts?

9. jtblack says:

If I had a dollar for every rumor that popped up 🙂

Talbot was excellent. That is one bet PC made, and came out on the right side of. A great starter is critical to every team. I do believe he can repeat his performance. I also hope he plays 63, not 73.

Can’t wait for ’17 – ’18 RE’s!!

10. doritogrande says:

Yes to Tom Petty, if only because you’ll never go for my recommendation of Foo Fighters.

11. DBO says:

Tom Petty always a winner.
    I vote Black Crows

Jokinen fits the verbal from Stauffer about fast pker, plays wing and centre, veteran but not too old. It woukd be solid. Especially if you run Cagguila with McDavid, and need a better two way Pisani esque to play with Nuge or strome on the 3rd line.

12. npanciroli says:

Yes please Jokinen.

Maroon McDavid Strome
    Lucic Draisaitl Slepyshev
    Jokinen RNH Puljujärvi
    Cagguila Letestu Kassian

13. Dominoiler says:

“Spliff City Baby!”

Never thought I’d hear that on the radio, haha..

Did you catch any shit for that one, LT, or was it smooth sailing?.. anyways, hilarious, cheers..

14. jtblack says:

npanciroli,

Really liking that lineup. Power, speed, skill throughout. And depth!

15. npanciroli says:

jtblack,

Nuge can learn Finnish!

Dominoiler:
    “Spliff City Baby!”

Never thought I’d hear that on the radio, haha..

Haha. No. I’m not sure how many people know what a spliff is anymore. 🙂

17. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: Yes, I saw that, thank you.

They seem aware of the cap future, and they now have to answer to Connor because of his contract. Not that they are going to consult him in the near term, but he has made a commitment to win , put his money where his mouth is. Really Chiarelli seems cagey.

18. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

…………….. s n i p p e d …………….

jtblack:
    If I had a dollar for every rumor that popped up

Funny thing… Eklund said the same thing, started an entire website based on rumours (mostly dreamt up by himself). He’s probably still poor.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy: I would think given what we’ve seen that Chiarelli would only trade a first or second if he thought it would increase the odds or a cup win in a significant way or be a piece of the future. He may trade a player he doesn’t want for another for a cup chance. I can’t see liquidating high picks very often.

He does seem cagey but he seems to get a target in his cross-hairs and will do whatever he needs to to get that target (i.e. Russell). I can see him trading high picks/upper end prospects at the deadline if there is a rental that he feels fits.

I guess only time will tell.

20. JDI says:

Lowetide: Haha. No. I’m not sure how many people know what a spliff is anymore.

Isn’t it a special elastic band that you use to tie a man bun?

21. Munny says:

Love Talbot, but it’s his next contract that scares the living daylights out of me. He will be 32 and looking for a long term deal with big benjamins.

22. Scungilli Slushy says:

Munny:

Truth. And so we see the most quality in prospect goalie depth perhaps ever. They are thinking ahead.

23. Greg says:

Do more LT! I don’t think you’ve used ‘Seperator’ yet. I’m not sure how it would apply to anyone in particular, but it is a lovely song.

I have a funny feeling it’ll be a long time before we get Radiohead for an RE again.

24. PunjabiOil says:

The HF boards poster is Speedyturtle who is likely an employee.

JJ is what he indicated.

When he posts it means it’s a done deal

Jagr or Jokinen. I have time for both.

25. Radman says:

Bumped into Glen Sather at The Bay Southgate yesterday. I was in line waiting in line for coffee pods, and he was waiting for his wife.

He was chomping an un-lit cigar and looking decidedly impatient.( No kidding). I said ” Hey Slats, thanks a bunch for Talbot”. He smirked a bit, and out the non-cigar side of his mouth he said “Ya, well ya can’t keep them all”.

Asked him how much Leon would cost, and he said “10 million, minimum”. Then off he went down the escalator with the Mrs.

The guy’s a beauty.

Radman:

The guy’s a beauty.

Haha Love it.

27. JDI says:

Radman,

I wish you had asked him what he would pay Leon.

28. Genjutsu says:

Tom Petty.

29. Pescador says:

JDI: Isn’t it a special elastic band that you use to tie a man bun?

A spliff is like a sailboat only smaller,
    not to be mistaken with the hockey player Spliff’n Reinhart

30. Dominoiler says:

Bah!.. kids these days.. 😉

31. Nuclear leak says:

Spliffs lead to gateways

32. Pouzar says:

Dustin Nielson‏
    @nielsonTSN1260
    Jussi Jokinen

33. theDjdj says:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds?
    Phil Collins?
    George Michael?
    Arcade Fire?
    Parliament/Funkadelic?

34. OF17 says:

Pouzar:
    Dustin Nielson‏
    @nielsonTSN1260
    Jussi Jokinen

I’d like that a lot. Veteran for the Pouliot spot, 47P per 82 the last three years, Finn for Puljujarvi, alternate captain in Florida. Shouldn’t be too expensive in terms of cap and years either.

35. Pescador says:

Pouzar:
    Dustin Nielson‏
    @nielsonTSN1260
    More ????
    Jussi Jokinen

More would be nice

36. Professor Q says:

Any possibility of getting both Jagr AND Jokinen?

Or are we simply dreaming in Technicolor?

37. GBandQ says:

I’ve said it before, i’ll say it again:

Sly & the Family Stone.

Jokinen!!!

38. JDI says:

Pescador: A spliff is like a sailboat only smaller,

And on an unrelated matter, may I make a suggestion for the Doobie Brothers as the next aREtist.

39. Ray says:

Lt, for suggestions for RE music. Have you done the Guess Who or Trooper before?

40. T0ML says:

What about Creed for the artist?

41. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

npanciroli:
    Yes please Jokinen.

Maroon McDavid Strome
    Lucic Draisaitl Slepyshev
    Jokinen RNH Puljujärvi
    Cagguila Letestu Kassian

That’s solid. You’ve got my vote.
    Khaira spare forward.

42. Scungilli Slushy says:

Professor Q:
    Any possibility of getting both Jagr AND Jokinen?

Or are we simply dreaming in Technicolor?

Depending on Jagr and Drai’s salaries, yes. When I’ve played around with it the problem is who do you push off the roster that really should be there? Also, I’m quite sure the young guys are playing for their spot on the team in the future this year. They need useful cheaper wingers in 2018 2019 and this year they have to determine who those players are. They need to play. If somebody is unproductive maybe a deadline deal.

43. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Get Drai done, add Jokinen, my wishlist for next would be Markov for one year if no one else gives him two. That would be a solid summer.

44. N64 says:

Ducey:

Sounds like Leon will get done for less than $8m

Source was Friedman. For 8 years sounds like its in the 8s:

BS: “Is it your belief at this time that Draisaitl’s camp would accept something in the range of what Evgeni Kuznetsov took at $7.8 million per times eight years?”

EF: “Probably. “It depends. It depends on what term you’re looking at. If it’s eight years, maybe not. Maybe it might have to be a little higher.”