OILERS ADD JOKINEN, INCREASE OPTIONS

In signing Jussi Jokinen today, the Edmonton Oilers give form to the roster that hadn’t been there since the Benoit Pouliot buyout. Peter Chiarelli gave Todd McLellan more room to wheel with the lines, more experience and—huzzah—someone who can help on the penalty kill.

CURRENT 50-MAN ROSTER

Plenty of attention on my lines currently, just want to let you know I’m not attached to a specific structure. It’s pointless, since Todd McLellan will juggle things into the season and then the postseason. Today’s addition of Jokinen gives him plenty of options.

The one issue with moving Leon to C? I can’t identify two 20-goal men among Ryan Strome, Jesse Puljujarvi, Anton Slepyshev and Drake Caggiula. Can you?

Jouni is a very respected journalist and broadcaster who is based out of Edmonton and delivers fantastic reporting back to Finland. I consider him an authority on Finnish hockey players.

PENALTY KILL

You need six forwards and it helps to have another on hand for injury or long penalty. Caggiula had a nice run as a rookie in limited minutes, maybe the team has a player there. All of the C’s are involved, good thing. Kassian came in damned handy in the role, too. Jokinen will help for sure.

One thing I think I think: Jesse Puljujarvi and Jussi Jokinen are going to spend a lot of time on the same line this winter. Center pending.

74 Responses to "OILERS ADD JOKINEN, INCREASE OPTIONS"

1. leadfarmer says:

Google translate needed. Hope he has an effect on Pulju like he had on Barkov. Sounds like he worked a lot with Barkov and Barkov was a bit shocked that they let him go

2. Melman says:

Slick signing by PC. No doubt JJ will be help JP

3. Thinker says:

I can’t identify one 20 goal RW. You are hoping for growth from 2 of 4 guys, which is better than hoping to go 1 for 1, I guess. I still think they need a vet RW (referably right shot), but Jagr looks like the only one left in free agency.

4. Gross misconduct says:

Great show today Lowetide. I always enjoy Mr. Lansky’s visits. Terrific signing by Chia. For all the above mentioned reasons. Id like to add that Jussi wore a letter in Florida. Which to me suggests that his time there wasn’t just about being able to drive to practice in an open top convertible. He obviously contributes in the locker room. Jokinen will surely help with transitioning young Jesse into an everday pro. I don’t see a downside to this signing at all.

5. Munny says:

LT,

That 50 man roster graphic is sharp, easy-to-read, colours make sense. Much better than some of the prior iterations… please keep it around!

6. Side says:

Sooo is Jagr going to be an Oiler or…..

7. VOR says:

Three things:

Does Jokinen qualify for the Pisani role?

Puljujarvi and Jokinen all ready have a relationship. Jokinen owns part of Karpat and both players apparently work out with Karpat together in the summer. (source David Staples) Does this mean as Lowetide speculates that the two are going be joined at the hip regardless of the center?

The consensus on Jokinen is that he is whip smart on and off the ice. Can he teach Puljujarvi how to be as smart on the ice as he is/was? Can he Barkov him?

VOR:
    Three things:

Does Jokinen qualify for the Pisani role?

Jokinen imo does qualify as the Pisani. Unlike a lot of players we’ve discussed, Jokinen can mentor, play a responsible game AND score goals.

9. murphy says:

Thank you for listing drasaiti on his own line, everytime i see maroon-macdavid-drasaiti a little part of me dies. They need to be seperated and only put together on the PP, 3 on 3 OT, when the goalie is out and when a goal is needed or the tide of a game turned around (double shifting connor).

I believe us to be a franson & jagr signing away from that balance photo and us keeping the majority of our picks at the deadline (maybe spending one or two to really put us over the top). Make it so Pete.

10. Centre of attention says:

Jokinen is going to feed a perfect pass to Puljujarvi for a one-timer goal and the smile on Puljujarvi’s face will be a sight to behold.

I can’t wait to see what those two get up to in pre-season, even.

11. Dino says:

To be fair, almost anyone can become a 20 goal scorer playing next to Mcdavid so I’m not too concerned about that

murphy:
    Thank you for listing drasaiti on his own line, everytime i see maroon-macdavid-drasaiti a little part of me dies. They need to be seperated and only put together on the PP, 3 on 3 OT, when the goalie is out andwhen a goal is needed or the tide of a game turned around (double shifting connor).

Again, I’m not advocating for one line or another, this is just listing the 50-man and an approximate depth chart. Leon will play RW and C this coming season, pretty sure. I am not making a prediction.

13. Todd Macallan says:

So are we maybe a vet RHD (Franson) away from the balance photo this fall? After a return to the playoffs this year, all that’s left for us fans is the Cup and the Photo.

14. Rebilled says:

Was I the only one who confused my Jokinens today?

I thought we were making Tambellini moves for 4 seconds before i realized.

15. murphy says:

You seem pretty guarded on the subject…who is hurting you and what have they done to you lowetide?

16. Thinker says:

Now Leon is on the wing? Who’s side are you on LT? And why do you hate Eberle?

17. Georges says:

Read WG’s post from the morning:

I found something interesting in those numbers:

Oilers 5v5 GF60 w/o CMD

15-16 1.79 (with Hall in lineup)
    16-17 1.97 (w/o Hall in lineup)

So the loss of Hall didn’t affect w/o CMD goal production from 15-16 to 16-17. The Oilers scored at a better pace with CMD off the ice in 16-17 (when Hall was off the team) than in 15-16 (when Hall was on the team).

Let’s look at the flip side, goals against.

Oilers 5v5 GA60 with CMD

15-16 3.26
    16-17 2.15

Oilers 5v5 GA60 w/o CMD

15-16 2.43
    16-17 2.06

So removing Hall didn’t hurt offense, getting Larsson helped defense (with and without CMD on the ice). You don’t have to attribute the defensive lift exclusively to Larsson; there are more variables to consider. But you’d be hard pressed to argue against the idea his presence on the team counted for part of the improvement.

Going into this season, Larsson is a first pairing d-man. This means Chia effectively acquired a first pairing d-man without hurting team offense.

Think about that. That’s some good GM’ing, no?

18. Gross misconduct says:

Forget about Jagr . He wont play north of 39, nevermind north of 49. Its hockey and flip flops for the original JJ now

19. Scungilli Slushy says:

Georges:
    Read WG’s post from the morning:

I found something interesting in those numbers:

Oilers 5v5 GF60 w/o CMD

15-16 1.79 (with Hall in lineup)
    16-17 1.97 (w/o Hall in lineup)

Let’s look at the flip side, goals against.

Oilers 5v5 GA60 with CMD

15-16 3.26
    16-17 2.15

Oilers 5v5 GA60 w/o CMD

15-16 2.43
    16-17 2.06

Think about that. That’s some good GM’ing, no?

Nice comment. In every sport the great teams can score and defend. There are exceptions of course, but its most often lucky.

murphy:

Haha. Just want to make sure people understand is all, I’ve seen a few serious sounding posts expressing frustration with my stubborn nature. And full value, I am an ox. But in this case, I’m not promoting any specific lineup.

Thinker:
    Now Leon is on the wing? Who’s side are you on LT? And why do you hate Eberle?

I’ve Smided him.

22. TheFinn60 says:

Gross misconduct:
    Great show today Lowetide. I always enjoy Mr. Lansky’s visits. Terrific signing by Chia. For all the above mentioned reasons. Id like to add that Jussi wore a letter in Florida. Which to me suggests that his time there wasn’t just about being able to drive to practice in an open top convertible. He obviously contributes in the locker room.Jokinen will surely help with transitioning young Jesse into an everday pro. I don’t see a downside to this signing at all.

This was good for JP, I am pretty sure he have had a tough time to “settle” in North America, At the age of 18 you kind of get “up rooted” and have no language skills and a complete change of social network.

Playing hockey is one thing but you will need to be in a good place to play good hockey, same thing goes for everything in life, if you are happy where you are at things also goes well. Pulju is a fin and he might be one of those finish guys that has a bit of a problem to catch up with the “lingo” and so forth. Edmonton needs him to get going because if they unlock that potential he got they have a winger for years to come.

Think Pulju need this “social support” and a guy around him that is respected by the team mates and can be a “mentor” both on and off the ice.

JJ is a good hockey player too which will help the club in more than one way. Bottom line is there need to be more production from the 2nd and 3rd line as well from the back end. The defense is decent but could need some more depth.

I would love to see Theodore in Edmonton but that will not happen I suppose

Anyway I am happy with Chia’s way of going about business, seem he is a good manager and also have some basic “people knowledge” and so does the coach. There is a “human side” to them which is hard to find in the corporate world these days.

23. murphy says:

Hey hey… Relax… Its just us now… Tell me who is forcing you to list drai as a RW… Is it peter? Todd? Please don’t tell me ….its Craig? Is he trying to make you list Tobby as 2C again? I can’t help if you don’t talk to me.

24. bobinyvr says:

I know this roster ain’t as sexy without more additions .. but if this is the roster in October:

I agree these forward lines are likely to be the default or starting point, although I am sure Drai will spend some time 5×5 with 97 during the year .. Maroon, McDavid and Drai were just too good.

If I were to predict (again with no other additions):

I see Klefbom/Larsson, Russell/Benning, Nurse/Gryba with Stanton as #7D (instead of Fayne).

Lowetide and others: Does that seem reasonable/likely as well?

25. Klima's_Bucket says:

As someone that spends a lot of time in Florida, I catch a lot of Panther games.

Jussi Jokinen is intelligent and an all around great player.
    As mentioned he fits the Pisani role to a T and is dynamite in shootouts.
    He also can play all three forward positions and is decent in the face-off dot on his strong side.

As an added bonus, check out this PP breakout he brings wherever he goes.
    I’ve watched the Panthers get a PP breakaway ~once a game.

Hopefully he brings this to Edmonton with McDavid streaking down the middle.

Gross misconduct:

Thanks! Steve is a great guy, and a fantastic interview.

27. Glass says:

Someone posted in hf boards a finnish radio interview where Jokinen discussed his contract with EDM. He primarily signed here with the belief that he’d have a real chance at the cup. Understands that he will be a mentor for JP.

28. JDI says:

Dino:

So it follows that 20 goal scorers can become 40 goal scorers.

Yes please.

29. digger50 says:

Georges:
    Read WG’s post from the morning:

I found something interesting in those numbers:

Oilers 5v5 GF60 w/o CMD

15-16 1.79 (with Hall in lineup)
    16-17 1.97 (w/o Hall in lineup)

Let’s look at the flip side, goals against.

Oilers 5v5 GA60 with CMD

15-16 3.26
    16-17 2.15

Oilers 5v5 GA60 w/o CMD

15-16 2.43
    16-17 2.06

Think about that. That’s some good GM’ing, no?

What I took away from the article was that Connor was so good he was the real reason behind the Oilers improvement and deserved a lot of credit. Peter and Todd recieved nominations but the underlying factor behind the good coaching and GMing was the McDavid performance factor.

30. megahurts says:

From Jouni Nieminen’s twitter:

“I have made myself into as versatile player as possible, in order to play as long career as I can in this league”- Jussi Jokinen, EDM 2016.

Everyone is talking about Jussi being JP’s mentor. However this rings very similar to something I remember Zack Kassian mentioning in an interview about learning to PK, and I’m sure Jussi has knowledge to share

31. Gross misconduct says:

My buddies are laughing at me which is all good, because iv’e been pumping up Ty Rattie as this years Tyler Pitlick. Meaning offense from an unexpected source. You can make a good argument that this kid is a late bloomer. You need to dig a little and squint alot. But its there. Im close to calling ” Book it” but that might b taking it too far

32. ashley says:

I realize these lines are not etched in stone, but I find it interesting that Patty Maroon sits beside McDavid everywhere I read. With Slepyshev, Cagguila, and now Jokinen in the mix, I suspect he will not enjoy the first line minutes he got last year.

With the right wingers, McDavid will be over 120 points this year, maybe 140. But he needs wingers with speed, intelligence, creativity, and good hands. Maroon only has 2/4 of those, but there were not a lot of experience options last year.

I think Puljujarvi will get some first line time, but I am not sure if he will last there next year. I doubt these two players nationality will influence McLellan’s lines.

McDavid-Jokinen-Strome?
    McDavid-Jokinen-Cagguila?
    McDavid-Slepyshev-Cagguila?

Those all seem more likely to me. I like the third option.

33. theres oil in virginia says:

Can you identify 1? None of them have ever done it. Pulju hitting 20 next year would be a huge (pleasant) surprise, as would Sleppy or The Drake. Strome has come close, but what will push him over the top? McDavid?

34. theres oil in virginia says:

Where’s Jagr when you need him!? Get outta that bed and go sign with the Oilers already!

Jagr at 45 is better at the hockey than most NHLers at 25. Unbelievable.

35. Gross misconduct says:

ashley,

Here’s the thing . It doesn’t matter how many “tools” u have in the box. As long as you produce. And based on Maroon’s production from last year that’s why you’ll see him slotted in on that line . Ir’s a little bit of his job to lose. But like Lowetide says…nothing is etched in stone. It’s pretty fluid. If Maroon does not produce …other guys will get looks. Its a long season . We’ll see plenty of combinations including the ones you mention

36. Rondo says:

Originally Posted by mirasane View Post
    Big finnish regional newspaper Kaleva has interviewed JJ about his contract to Oilers. Here are some key points from the interview:
    – He had several contract offers from NHL on the table
    – He had long talks with Chia and McLellan and they had understanding what they are getting with JJ.
    – JJ hasn’t won Stanley Cup and the fact that there is a decent chance to win it in Edmonton mattered a lot
    – JJ was impressed by several key pieces of Oilers lineup and is especially looking forward playing in the same team as McDavid (he did say in the same team, not in the same line )
    – Oilers are expecting JJ to mentor Pulju exactly the same way he did Barkov in FLA but that wasn’t one of the major reasons for this aquisition. Only a minor bonus.
    – JJ has been an Oilers fan in his childhood when he was following Kurri, Tikkanen and Ruotsalainen in Edmonton.
    – JJ also says that his season ending knee injury has healed as predicted. He has already trained 2 months without any pains in the knee.

37. Side says:

Gross misconduct:

Never. Jagr for Prime Minister.

38. Glass says:

Rondo,

That’s what I was referring to! Awesome.

39. JDI says:

Rondo: especially looking forward playing in the same team as McDavid

I didn’t get to play hockey past the age of 12, so I’m not exactly a spliff in a stiff breeze out on the ice. But when I got the chance to skate with a guy who had played NCAA for a while, my skating improved, my coordination improved, and the things I would try (with limited success) became much more creative.

And to paraphrase what Eric Stall said recently, “… confidence can not be overstated.”

40. JDI says:

Side: Never. Jagr for Prime Minister.

At this point, I’m all for just appointing someone at random. Why the fuck not a mullet-wearing, model-shagging, quadragenarian from CZE?

Can Rocco Siffredi be deputy PM?

theres oil in virginia:

Can you identify 1?None of them have ever done it.Pulju hitting 20 next year would be a huge (pleasant) surprise, as would Sleppy or The Drake.Strome has come close, but what will push him over the top?McDavid?

Whoever plays with 97 will probably score 20, which is one reason why Leon at center is a good idea (although I am not committing either way).

Gross misconduct:

I have always liked Rattie, and Callahan. Some nice subtle signings around July 1, then the bigger one today. Bass ackwards but it looks reasonable now.

43. megahurts says:

Thanks for the info/link Rondo. I enjoyed this post by the user MarkoTaneli which elaborates on the Kärpät connection:

Over the years, Oilers have had some players who have started their hockey career in Oulun Kärpät. Reijo Ruotsalainen, Janne Niinimaa and Joni Pitkänen were defencemen, who played at least a brief time during their careers for Oilers. I am from Oulu and I played hockey as a junior in Kärpät. I can say that we used to respect all those players who were playing in the NHL and who were from Kärpät. Of course we used to follow every Finnish NHL players career, but there is something special about following someones career that has made it big who is from your own team.

And there is something special about Kärpät. Oulu is a city in northern Finland and it is the only team based in northern Finland that plays in
    Finnish Liiga. We have a certain pride about being the “team of half Finland”. The players have a chemistry for sure.

I am a little older than Pulju, and obviously I wasn´t as talented player as him. My playing career ended when I was playing in the Kärpät juniors team. But I can tell you that Jussi Jokinen was a favorite player to our team. I bet JJ was an inspiration for Pulju also. Jokinen is originally from Kalajoki which is about 70 miles south from Oulu. Pulju is from Tornio, which is 70 miles north from Oulu. They both moved to Oulu quite young. I think JJ was 15 or 16 years old when he moved to Oulu and Pulju left home when he was 13 years old. They have the Kärpät connection.

I think Jokinen is great player to have around for Pulju. IMHO Jokinen is the best possible Finnish player to mentor Pulju.

44. JDI says:

megahurts: Thanks for the info/link Rondo.

Agreed. I’m a Rondo Supporter.

45. JDI says:

Lowetide: I have always liked Rattie

Me too, but I’m questioning if that’s because of his name. That is a spliff of a hockey name.

46. Professor Q says:

JDI: Agreed. I’m a Rondo Supporter.

That Celtics team was awesome, but short lived.

47. Professor Q says:

JDI: Me too,but I’m questioning if that’s because of his name. That is a spliff of a hockey name.

He needs a ’90s rat tail.

48. theres oil in virginia says:

Hey, this is a hockey board, not a sailboating board!

49. OilersFuture says:

Why do the Oiler’s need two 20 goal scorers out of Slepy, Puljujarvi, Strome or Cagguila? Sometimes I think we overthink things, top six forwards need to score 20 goals.

I think depth is more important. Last year the Pens had five 20 goals scorers. The Oiler’s had five 20 goal scorers; McDavid, Drai, Maroon, Lucic & Eberle. The Pens had four 10 – 19 goal scorers and the Oilers had only two (Nuge & Letestu).

The Pens also had growth within their organization (Sheary & Guentel). It helps to play with a generational player. You can make a good case that Slepy has a similar or better track record at the same stage. What if he plays the right side with McDavid and Maroon? Would he be able to score 15 – 20 goals? His size and playing style are similar to Drai, obviously Slepy isn’t as skilled as Drai but I could see it working.

50. frjohnk says:

Georges:
    Read WG’s post from the morning:

I found something interesting in those numbers:

Oilers 5v5 GF60 w/o CMD

15-16 1.79 (with Hall in lineup)
    16-17 1.97 (w/o Hall in lineup)

Let’s look at the flip side, goals against.

Oilers 5v5 GA60 with CMD

15-16 3.26
    16-17 2.15

Oilers 5v5 GA60 w/o CMD

15-16 2.43
    16-17 2.06

Think about that. That’s some good GM’ing, no?

Didn’t Hall have a 2.7 GF/60 last year not the 1.79?

51. GMB3 says:

frjohnk: Didn’t Hall have a 2.7 GF/60 last year not the 1.79?

Yes but that’s the team w/o McDavid. Not w/Hall

52. digger50 says:

theres oil in virginia:

I’d put money on Kassian if they would play him up the line up.

53. frjohnk says:

GMB3: Yes but that’s the team w/o McDavid. Not w/Hall

I should run the numbers.

My guess the 15-16 team without Hall or McDavid on the ice = not very fucking good.

EDIT: Well, we pretty much already knew that. Here are the numbers.
    Oilers without Hall or McDavid in 15-16 goals for of 1.25 per 60. GF% of 34% and a CF% of 46%. I think some of the Colorado forwards from this past year threw up.

54. Scungilli Slushy says:

ashley:
    I realize these lines are not etched in stone, but I find it interesting that Patty Maroon sits beside McDavid everywhere I read.With Slepyshev, Cagguila, and now Jokinen in the mix, I suspect he will not enjoy the first line minutes he got last year.

With the right wingers, McDavid will be over 120 points this year, maybe 140.But he needs wingers with speed, intelligence, creativity, and good hands.Maroon only has 2/4 of those, but there were not a lot of experience options last year.

I think Puljujarvi will get some first line time, but I am not sure if he will last there next year.I doubt these two players nationality will influence McLellan’s lines.

McDavid-Jokinen-Strome?
    McDavid-Jokinen-Cagguila?
    McDavid-Slepyshev-Cagguila?

Those all seem more likely to me.I like the third option.

Good points. My take is that whoever plays with Connor has to be good on the boards, because if they aren’t he goes there, and that is not what you want.

Not that he shouldn’t play the trenches, more that if you are sending the best offensive player in the world to do that, you risk injury to him and basically completely misunderstand how to play your aces in their places.

Connor’s wingers are there to help him, he’s not there to help them do their job. Work first, pleasure after.

55. Diablo says:

OilersFuture:
    Why do the Oiler’s need two 20 goal scorers out of Slepy, Puljujarvi, Strome or Cagguila?Sometimes I think we overthink things, top six forwards need to score 20 goals.

I think depth is more important.Last year the Pens had five 20 goals scorers.The Oiler’s had five 20 goal scorers; McDavid, Drai, Maroon, Lucic & Eberle.The Pens had four 10 – 19 goal scorers and the Oilers had only two (Nuge & Letestu).

The Pens also had growth within their organization (Sheary & Guentel).It helps to play with a generational player.You can make a good case that Slepy has a similar or better track record at the same stage.What if he plays the right side with McDavid and Maroon?Would he be able to score 15 – 20 goals?His size and playing style are similar to Drai, obviously Slepy isn’t as skilled as Drai but I could see it working.

20G is taken as kind of a benchmark for a good top 6 forward. But obviously there is so much more – the player has to be able to protect his own end as well as he can attack the opposition’s end to really by a “top 6 forward”.

I agree with you … having depth up and down the lineup, with 4 lines that TMac can roll constantly, allowing the forward units to take short shifts … this is the ideal.

Really like the Jokinen signing … to think we could have picked him up on waivers once upon a time. Good value contract for a very versatile player … for all the hand-wringing around here, it sounds like Jokinen and the Oilers have been talking contract for some time. While McDavid and Draisaitl are the most important items of business, they are clearly not the only items … Chia is willing to add if it makes sense from a dollars standpoint as well as a roster standpoint.

Unless we can sign another centre, I wouldn’t add another forward at this time. But I too would also like them to sign a vet D – make a 1 year 7 million dollar offer to Markov. They have the cap space to do it for this year only.

56. Scungilli Slushy says:

If they sign a D it has to be right side. When Sekera comes back they have 4 starting left side D unless somebody is hurt. They are more shallow on the right.

When Sekera is back who sits? Benning or Nurse? I think they might sign another forward but not a D, or do nothing and save cap for the deadline and fill what’s lacking then. Sekera also doesn’t have cap relief because that only kicks in when the team is over the cap.

I’m not sure if it can be used retroactively, as in loading up at the deadline and going over the cap and claiming the IR for Sekera after he is back playing.

57. frjohnk says:

15-16 season
    So the Oilers with Hall and/or McDavid had a 2.97 goals for 60 in 1797 minutes of 5 on 5 in 15-16

Without either of them on the ice, the Oilers scored 1.25 goals for 60 in 2115 minutes of 5 on 5.
    …………………………GF…….TOI
    Together……………2.43…….74
    TAYLOR HALL…..2.76 1172 THIS IS WITHOUT MCDAVID
    C MCDAVID………3.49 550 THIS IS WITHOUT HALL
    ALL………………….2.97…..1796
    NOT ON THE ICE1.25….2115

Interesting that Hall had to use his 2.7 goalsfor60 to lift up that 1.25 goals number without McDavid to get to 1.79. Wow, that was a bad team without those two. Injuries and lack of depth to replace those injuries sure didn’t help, but man.

The Oilers got 89 goals when at least 1 of these guys were on the ice in 1796 minutes.
    They got 44 goals when neither were on the ice in 2115 minutes

16-17 season
    If we look at Draisaitl and McDavid being our best two forwards this year, we see that they were on the ice either together or at least one of them for 1809 of 5 on 5 minutes. This is very close to the TOI of Hall and/or McDavid of last year, even with the McDavid injury, mostly because Drai and McDavid played half the year together whereas McDavid and Hall the year before only played 74 minutes together

Drai and/or McDavid gave the Oilers a goals for per 60 of 3.18.
    …………………………GF…….TOI
    Together……………3.67……670
    LEON DRAISAITL2.28……500 THIS IS WITHOUT MCDAVID
    C MCDAVID………3.38…….639 THIS IS WITHOUT DRAISAITL
    ALL………………….3.18…..1809
    NOT ON THE ICE1.87….2145

The Oilers got 96 goals when at least 1 of these guys were on the ice in 1809 minutes
    They got 67 goals when neither were on the ice in 2145 minutes.

********************************************************************************************************
    Bottom of the roster has seen some nice improvements year over year. Though health is a big factor here. Looking at our AHL replacements and if our forwards experience injuries like 15-16, that will be a huge mountain to climb.

If Drai plays away from McDavid and has a pts per 60 over 2 and a Goals For 60 somewhere in the 2.75 to 3 range AND we have a healthy roster like 16-17, should be a fun season.

58. Munny says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I disagree.

If they sign a D, it has to be left side. There’s more of them, they’re cheaper and the right side is already set:

LARSSON
    RUSSELL
    BENNING
    GRYBA

Whereas the LD without Sekera is:

KLEFBOM
    NURSE
    ???

Russell can flip over to his natural hand for the short term and then play Gryba 3RD, which is probably the plan, but if a D is being added, leftie should be the target.

59. misfit says:

Munny:
    Scungilli Slushy,

I disagree.

LARSSON
    RUSSELL
    BENNING
    GRYBA

Whereas the LD without Sekera is:

KLEFBOM
    NURSE
    ???

Agreed. You’d have to think that if Markov was willing to take a one year deal, then he’d already have re-signed in MTL, but boy would he ever be a perfect fit. Wouldn’t give him multiple years though.

60. Thinker says:

frjohnk:
    15-16 season

…………………………GF…….TOI
    Together……………2.43…….74
    TAYLOR HALL…..2.761172 THIS IS WITHOUT MCDAVID
    C MCDAVID………3.49550 THIS IS WITHOUT HALL
    ALL………………….2.97…..1796
    NOT ON THE ICE1.25….2115

Interesting that Hall had to use his 2.7 goalsfor60 to lift up that 1.25 goals number without McDavid to get to 1.79.Wow, that was a bad team without those two.Injuries and lack of depth to replace those injuries sure didn’t help, but man.

They got 44 goals when neither were on the ice in 2115 minutes

16-17 season
    If we look at Draisaitl and McDavid being our best two forwards this year, we see that they were on the ice either together or at least one of them for 1809 of 5 on 5 minutes.This is very close to the TOI of Hall and/or McDavid of last year, even with the McDavid injury, mostly because Drai and McDavid played half the year together whereas McDavid and Hall the year before only played 74 minutes together

Drai and/or McDavid gave the Oilers a goals for per 60 of 3.18.
    …………………………GF…….TOI
    Together……………3.67……670
    LEON DRAISAITL2.28……500 THIS IS WITHOUT MCDAVID
    C MCDAVID………3.38…….639THIS IS WITHOUT DRAISAITL
    ALL………………….3.18…..1809
    NOT ON THE ICE1.87….2145

They got 67 goals when neither were on the ice in 2145 minutes.

Bottom of the roster has seen some nice improvements year over year.Though health is a big factor here.Looking at our AHL replacements and if our forwards experience injuries like 15-16, that will be a huge mountain to climb.

61. frjohnk says:

Thinker: It’s late, and I’ve had a few pops, nut are you sure you’re capturing what you want? Hall and Connor played primarily on separate lines (the top 2). I wouldn’t expect things to look good if you take away the top 6. I guess there was a large portion of time without connor, but I think the point mostly still stands. How do the oilers look without Connor or RNH?

Because of injuries and lack of depth the bottom 6 in 15-16<<<<<<<16-17.

Another way to look at the numbers looks like this

McDavid had the most impact on goals for this year.
    Hall had the most impact on goals for last year. ( Because Hall played more than McDavid)

Oilers without McDavid this year had a goals for per 60 of 1.95.
    Oilers without Hall in 15-16 had a goals for per 60 of 1.71. ( and the away numbers include McDavids)

As to your question of how do the Oilers look without McDavid or RNH. Without McDavid not good. Just read WG's blog on that one.

As for RNH, not sure. He took on the toughs and I have been running some WOWY numbers and Lucic and Russell are drags when placed with Nuge

Lucic and Russell are drags on most. For example

McDavid without Lucic and without Russell had a goals for per 60 of 4.01!!!!!!!
    McDavid with at least one of them had a goals for per 60 of 2.97. Which is still damn good, but that's quite the drop away.

I have mentioned before that Draisaitl did not have good numbers ( shots, scoring chances, shots from the slot) with Lucic at all. Except corsi. They had a good corsi together.

Nuge is impacted big time.

Nuge without Lucic and without Russell had a goals for per 60 of 2.45. GF% of 52.8% 440 minutes
    Nuge with at least one of them had a goals for per 60 of 1.34. GF% of 37.8%

Those numbers away from Lucic and Russell are pretty good. We all know that RNH faced the toughest comp according to the Woodmoneys, I wonder how much of the toughs did he face when with one of Lucic or Russell.

I think a Nuge loss to injury would have a bigger impact than most realise. Our 3rd most important forward.

62. OF17 says:

I’m really looking forward to seeing Jokinen-Nuge-Puljujarvi. Three smart, skilled, well-rounded players with more coverage from lines 1 and 2 than you could ask for. Really the Jokinen signing was exactly what this team needed. 100% hit on Chiarelli’s part. He got the right player for the right term at a very attractive price.

63. Gross misconduct says:

Diablo,

Where does everybody come out on LB having the keys to the backup goalie job ? No real competition in training camp ? For a player with how much Nhl experience ? If u point to his solid numbers from late season relief to all we need to see, i would say that is a very small sample size to have complete confidence in. Not to mention his numbers in Bakersfield weren’t anything to b WOW’d about.

64. Revolved says:

frjohnk,

Do you have any guesses what happened to Lucic last year and where we should put him?

Gross misconduct,

I am of the opinion that virtually all of our improvement between 15-16 and 16-17 came from more Connor and a stabilized D-Corp. This makes me quite worried about starting the season with Benning at 2RD.

I think the results of 15-16 vs. 16-17 show what a house of cards this thing is, and we should be very concerned for our health up the middle. I do think we could replace Brossoit in season if need be and that our center depth could withstand a hit, but if we lose some D… Gack!

65. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

As far as I can tell there were 26 RWs that scored 20 goals last year.

Obviously a few guys would have gotten there but for injury (Okposo) but some of the guys that did got lucky by way of shooting percentage.

A few more actually played RW but aren’t listed as RW (Drai).

Still, the idea that a top 6 forward must score 20 seems a tad off.

Guys in the top 50 for RW goal scorers include Dustin Brown, Jarome Iginla, and Troy Brower. Each one considered to be not a very good hockey player.

I’m not convinced we’re going to have 2 20 goal scoring RWs unless someone who wouldn’t otherwise be is elevated by the magic of McDavid (the way Crosby does it). Even then expecting 2 seems like a stretch.

66. Georges says:

frjohnk: Didn’t Hall have a 2.7 GF/60 last year not the 1.79?

Oilers 5v5 GF60 w/o CMD

15-16 1.79 (with Hall on the team)
    16-17 1.97 (w/o Hall on the team)

Going into this season, Larsson is a first pairing d-man. This means Chia effectively acquired a first pairing d-man without hurting team offense (when he traded Hall for Larsson).

Think about that. That’s some good GM’ing, no?

67. Clarkenstein says:

JJ will provide Oil with two things they desperately need. Older mature leadership and faceoff help. Throw in the fact that he’s a Finn so automatically he will become one of the top 5 skaters on the team.

68. judgedrude says:

Lowetide: I’ve Smided him.

What? No one responded to this?! I guess I will then:

Slow clap for LT.

69. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Georges: Oilers 5v5 GF60 w/o CMD

15-16 1.79 (with Hall on the team)
    16-17 1.97 (w/o Hall on the team)

Think about that. That’s some good GM’ing, no?

Hi Georges, great to post with you again.

Here’s a list of Oiler goals away from McDavid in 15/16

Benning 2
    Letestu 2
    Khaira 1
    Lander 1
    Gryba 1
    Sekera 1

You might notice that 2,3, and 4 on the list don’t play for the Oilers anymore.

I’m going through and going a GFON/60 WOWY to have a better look at things,but immediately its clear that:

-Pitlick’s 8 goals in 263 minutes away from 97 really goosed things. That’s an iGF/60 of 1.82 which is insane. Austin Matthews was near the top of the league with a 1.50 for reference.

Other high iGF/60 gone are Eberle was 0.66, Pouliot 0.65 and Hendricks was 0.66

Lots of goals went out the door this summer too. Hopefully the new hires can do as well.

So was going from 1.79 to 1.97 GFON/60 while losing Hall good GMing?

I see arguments on both sides.

I think the improvement on the D certainly helped.

The difference between 1.79 and 1.97 in terms of goals for the 2686 5v5 non-McDavid minutes is 8.

The top of the non-McDavid goal scoring weren’t brought in by the GM, but maybe their non-97 GF/60 went up a bit due to the roster construction.

Good debate.

70. frjohnk says:

Georges: Oilers 5v5 GF60 w/o CMD

15-16 1.79 (with Hall on the team)
    16-17 1.97 (w/o Hall on the team)

Think about that. That’s some good GM’ing, no?

That needs to be taken into context

In 15-16,

Oilers scored without Hall or McDavid on the ice 1.25 goals per 60
    Oilers scored with Hall and or McDavid on the ice 2.97 goals per 60
    Oilers scored with Hall on the ice 2.76 goals per 60
    Oilers scored with McDavid on the ice 3.49 goals per 60
    Oilers scored without McDavid on the ice 1.79 goals per 60
    Oilers scored without Hall on the ice 1.71 goals per 60

Oilers got 44 goals when neither were on the ice in 2115 minutes

Injuries, lack of talent and depth hampered the non Hall and non McDavid ice time big time that year. Non McDavid and or Non Hall TOI had a goals for% of 34% and a corsi for % of 46%. And this was for 2145 5 on 5 minutes. Hall and or McDavid TOI 5 on 5 was 1796 minutes.

Better depth, less injuries saw the bottom players score better in 16-17

Oilers scored 3.18 goals for per 60 in 1809 minutes with McDavid and/or Drai on the ice.
    Oilers scored 1.87 goals for per 60 in 2145 minutes without either of those two off the ice.

They got 67 goals when neither were on the ice in 2145 minutes.

If the team replaced Halls offense, then someone with a lot of ice time away from McDavid would have had a goals for per 60 around 2.75. Hall had a goals for per 60 of 2.74 during his Oiler career.

These are the players goals for per 60 away from McDavid
    Player GF60
    MAROON, PATRICK 2.25
    DRAISAITL, LEON 2.28
    LUCIC, MILAN 1.93
    EBERLE, JORDAN 2.07
    PULJUJARVI, JESSE 0.88
    CAGGIULA, DRAKE 1.59
    POULIOT, BENOIT 1.87
    KASSIAN, ZACK 2.4
    RNH 1.91
    LETESTU, MARK 2.08

As it stands, we didn’t replace Halls offense, we bettered the bottom 6 scoring. Here is some more info that pertains to all of this.

71. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Here’s something interesting that I stumbled on.

The only Oiler Dman who was on the roster for both of the last 2 years who’s GF/60 away from McDavid improved was Davidson

Here’s the list with 15/16 GF/60 away from McDavid first, then 16/17

Davidson 2.36 – 1.77
    Klefbom 2.06 – 2.15
    Nurse 1.88 – 1.94
    Sekera 1.54 – 1.58
    Gryba 1.49 – 1.75

Didn’t expect that.

Now lets look at the GF/60 away from McDavid for each of the Dmen who only played one year:

16/17
    Benning 2.65
    Larsson 2.25
    Russell 1.43

15/16
    Shultz 2.47
    Clendenning 2.01
    Oesterle 1.93
    Reinhart 1.90
    Nikitin 1.72
    Fayne 1.59
    Pardy 1.36
    Ference 1.25

Schultz, Clendenning and Pardy’s samples are polluted with GFON/60 from their other teams that year and corsia.hockey (which is down) was the only place that I know of that broke them out.

Benning for Calder

72. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Here’s something interesting that I stumbled on.

The only Oiler Dman who was on the roster for both of the last 2 years who’s GF/60away from McDavid improved was Davidson

Here’s the list with 15/16 GF/60 away from McDavid first, then 16/17

Reinhart 1.90
    Nikitin 1.72
    Fayne 1.59
    Pardy 1.36
    Ference 1.25

Benning for Calder

Voting is closed you know 🙂

But I agree, Benning had very nice numbers all around.