SEKERA ON TRACK

According to an article in Sport.sk, Andrej Sekera is on track and recovering well from surgery. An injury that could take nine months in terms of recovering, the player believes will take him just six months.

• Andrej Sekera: “I’m seven weeks after surgery. Four and a half weeks I was in Canada, then they pulled stitches and told me that I can go home. We were a moment with his girlfriend on vacation. Now I came to Banska Bystrica, test the knee. Slowly I starting to bother him. Still has a long way. Rehabilitation takes to break Križni knee ligament in six to nine months. I believe it will be only six. “ Source

Thanks, google translate, you’re the foreign exchange student I never dated. I’m not going to quote the entire article, but there are a lot of good quotes in there, including great comments about Connor McDavid and how close this team is to the Stanley. The big news is the six month timeline. Sekera had surgery the week of May 16, six months puts him at mid-November. That may mean he could miss as few as 20 games. These injuries often take longer than expected and he may not be 100 percent for some time after, and players are not doctors. Still, encouraging news.

18 Responses to "SEKERA ON TRACK"

1. PunjabiOil says:

Interesting Jagr bit in the article

Your team is also talking about Jaromir Jágr. Would you like to play with him?

“It’s all speculation. If Jagr came, it would be great. It’s nice to have excellent performance at that age. He still wants to prove it. A lot of boys should be an example of it. “

2. Munny says:

Knowing where Sekera is at in his rehab is key to any decision Chia makes w.r.t. defensemen. And of course he has far better info here, and will at every stage, than the second-guessers will.

If all he is likely to miss is 15-20 games, I think it is unlikely we will see an incoming replacement. Gryba will replace Benning, who will replace Russell, who will flip over to Sekera’s side.

Really going to miss him in the overtimes during that stretch.

3. stush18 says:

Munny:
    Knowing where Sekera is at in his rehab is key to any decision Chia makes w.r.t. defensemen.And of course he has far better info here, and will at every stage, than the second-guessers will.

If all he is likely to miss is 15-20 games, I think it is unlikely we will see an incoming replacement.Gryba will replace Benning, who will replace Russell, who will flip over to Sekera’s side.

Really going to miss him during the overtimes in that stretch.

Yes. We can criticize chiarelli for not moving on a dman, but if his doctors are telling him reg is on track for November and not February, then it changes things.

Munny:

Really going to miss him during the overtimes in that stretch.

Agreed. If we’re talking 20 games, or so, perhaps a training camp invite of a straggler who didn’t sign as a free agent. Potentially very good news.

5. trencan says:

Very interesting sentence also was, that in next two years they expect attack on SC. I dont see it that way but hope I am wrong.

6. Munny says:

If I was GM, my worry would be Klefbom. I haven’t been able to rely on his health much over the course of his career, but at the start of this season I am absolutely dependent on that health being there.

7. J-Bo says:

With this news, I wonder its effect on the ever elusive “balance” photo? I guess in a perfect world the right wing depth chart would look better, but overall, the forward group is pretty fantastic. The defense is also looked pretty balanced, especially if Sekera isn’t out long. You have both Fayne and Nurse if Benning falters at top 4. I’m sure they are going to sign one more 3rd pair guy as well before the season starts. You better get that photo dusted off LT.

8. Munny says:

Thank Gord “cookies” is the same word in every language.

9. Thinker says:

We talk about developing in a straight line all the time, and I can tell you that knee injuries are another thing that doesn’t. Too early to tell, seen lots of guys hit snags later in the recovery process. They usually get walking and stuff pretty quick. It is the explosive part that is difficult to regain.

10. J-Bo says:

I know everybody is somehow holding out for an offensive second pair right shot guy, but there is no way Chia goes there this year anyways. He has to see what he has in Nurse and Benning first and hopefully pump Nuge’s value. Then if he doesn’t have the right ponies at year end in Benning/Nurse, he can make the move for another D then. To be honest I truly don’t think it would be wise in any way to bring in anything more then a 3rd pair guy on a cheap 1 year contract. With Fayne and Gryba already here, it could be a LHD as well.

11. Doug McLachlan says:

Great news on Sekera. Please don’t rush him back, Chia!

12. Munny says:

J-Bo: I know everybody is somehow holding out for an offensive second pair right shot guy,

Not I. I prefer to live in the real world.

13. Munny says:

Doug McLachlan,

Their plan will be to throw him to the wolves on one leg and re-injure him as soon as possible, because this is what GMs do.

14. JDî says:

players are not doctors…

They couldn’t accept the cut in pay.

Still – great noose!

15. Oilanderp says:

Also from the article via google translate:
    ———————–
    “I like pies. A lot. I eating them and listen to metal. Not musicalsness per se, as is old and gerfunkt.” Much smiling of the room is encorporated. “Mine doctoren sayed +5 to me which is good as a spirit.” Elves have not responded meaning for englishes is plus 15 times.
    —————————-
    Clearly it is 9 months.

16. OilLeak says:

November or February I don’t think it makes a difference, this team needs the boost on D regardless. Are we going to assume that no other D-men gets hurt from now to November? Too much of a gamble for me.

17. Mr. D. says:

I don’t see Sekara as a pivot point between winning and losing. I think we have enough depth on the backend to win games with who we have. If the forwards commit to solid defensive play this team will win 65% as is. We’ve chucked 2 non producers.

18. Is Andrej Sekera Returning Earlier Than Expected? • The Oilers Rig says:

[…] post the quote that LT pulled, you can find it by visiting his site and reading his take on it here, but the mid-November item is very interesting and may indicate why we haven’t seen much […]