MATT BENNING IS COMING INTO VIEW

In the first year Todd McLellan coached the San Jose Sharks, he ran four defenders over 20 minutes a night. All four played 15+ minutes at even strength and all four played a lot on both special teams. All four (Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Dan Boyle, Christian Ehrhoff, Rob Blake) were recognized as being bona fide NHL defensemen.

SHARKS DEFENSE 2008-09

McLellan had a nice top 4D in 2008-09, team won 53 games and there are some strong numbers here. They were all past 50 percent in possession, Boyle led with a 3.2 rel. I’m not sure we can call this an ideal group, but this top four did some very good things in a winning regular season. How close is the Oilers top 4? Who is the “Dan Boyle” in the group, leading in possession and some of the other elements?

OILERS DEFENSE 2016-17

• The current Oilers have Oscar Klefbom and Andrej Sekera playing substantial minutes in all three disciplines
  • Adam Larsson and Kris Russell spent lots of time at evens and on the penalty kill.
  • Matt Benning didn’t play much on special teams. More in a minute.
  • Darnell Nurse and Kris Russell were the only defenders below 50 percent in possession 5×5, and even then it was just shy.
  • All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and that site is a killer.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

• Matt Benning is going to get some power play time this coming season, especially until Andrej Sekera returns. I’d suggest new hire Yohann Auvitu will also get an opportunity on the 5×4. The only alternative is to put a forward back on the blue line to  replace Sekera’s minutes. Unlikely. Benning is the obvious candidate for the 5×4.
  • Matt Benning is also a strong candidate for PK work until Sekera gets back. He’s an intelligent player, is excellent with the puck and can handle the physical aspects of the game. PK time likely going to Darnell Nurse, too. Eric Gryba’s lack of mobility hurts him here.

That San Jose defense in 2008-09 had more utility, the players had more range. I think we can count Oscar Klefbom and Andrej Sekera as being complete coverage players, similar in usage to the four horsemen from McLellan’s first NHL team.

Is there a third defender who can step up? Maybe Matt Benning will emerge this season. His continuing emergence is a very important part of this coming season. Edmonton needs a Dan Boyle. Maybe Benning can fill significant portions of that role, beginning this season.

35 Responses to "MATT BENNING IS COMING INTO VIEW"

One thing we do know. Kris Russell certainly isn’t Dan Boyle.

2. Ducey says:

LT, I have seen a few references to Auvitu playing some LW. Capfriendly lists him as a LW/LD.

Any basis for this?

I am concerned his boxcars might be juiced a little by playing some forward minutes.

Ducey:

Any basis for this?

I didn’t see him on LW, his goals didn’t come that way. Beyond that, I’d be lying because I don’t know.

4. jjmclean says:

Any concern that Auvitu got benched in the Calder cup playoffs?

jjmclean:
    Any concern that Auvitu got benched in the Calder cup playoffs?

6. Georges says:

Really cool you chose 2008-09 to compare with 2016-17.

Both years the Pens were champs.

Their possession game in those two years?

PIT 5v5 CF%

08-09 48.1 (19th)
    16-17 50.1 (16th)

Somewhere between strong and weak. Let’s call it indifferent.

7. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Georges,

– Great post LT!

– this team this last year was good enough in the range to win The Cup. With Sek even more so.

– For the next decade we are good enough to win the cup every year. We just are. Chia is not a bad GM our coach is good enough ownership can spend as much as any team

– Honestly enjoy. Sure there are lots of fascinating stats to parse but had the oil won this year it would not have been out of place and just as georges cherry picks a possession stat for Pitts there are lots of stats that in hindsight show we are in the range.

– We will win cups. Write that down.

8. JDî says:

Morgan Fairchild was the best Jenna Wade.

9. JDî says:

Aivis Kalniņš‏ @A_Kalnins

Jagr’s agent has shut down all the ”Jagr to KHL rumors” says talks ongoing with multiple NHL teams.

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

10. JDî says:

Polonium tea in 3… 2… 1…

twitter rant about Russian hockey.

JDî:
    Morgan Fairchild was the best Jenna Wade.

Morgan Fairchild was also the best Jennifer Pace. She was fetching when I was 20 and she’s still fantastic looking. Genetics!

12. JDî says:

Who needs to post pictures on a hockey blog, when we have the ol’ Al Gore at our disposal?

13. JDî says:

Alright – who was the best David Bradford?

14. dustrock says:

Lowetide: Not from me. He is going to bring some chaos and that may drown his chances with the Oilers. This is a no-lose bet from my pov. Strong Sm-Liiga season, followed by a strange but impressive (sample size alert) year in NJD. I’m not saying this is the final piece of the Stanley puzzle but it’s a solid bet.

Agreed. Also not convinced should read too much into any Devils stats last year. That’s a bad team and even Schneider was below par.

Like Colorado. Let’s not read into a bad year there.

15. barmstrong says:

JDî:
    Morgan Fairchild was the best Jenna Wade.

No way. Priscilla Presley 🙂

16. Evilas says:

From the reading up on him I did last night he played LW only early in his career in France, this was before his time in Finland. He.is a D-man and I think he is coming to an organization that will give him opportunities to succeed vs his Jersey/Albany experience, where I think he stepped into some form of organizational dysfunction….

17. Ray says:

Evilas:

Fromthe reading up on him I did last night he played LW only early in his career in France, this was before his time in Finland.He.is a D-man and I think he is coming to an organization that will give him opportunities to succeed vs his Jersey/Albany experience, where I think he stepped into some form of organizational dysfunction….

I would bet some people believe it to be Taylor Hall’s fault.

Maybe they should trade him for a real dman. Like Russell

18. JDî says:

barmstrong: No way.Priscilla Presley

If you’re not going to get off my lawn, at least aerate, rake and mow it please. That should keep up with the manure you’re spreading.

19. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Ray,

– Analysis will eventually concede what hockey knows: LW is the least important position:

G>RD>C>LD>RW>LW

– Hi Conor Sheary the best LW on the Cup team: get used to guys like that lighting it up with CmD

– Hi Chris Kunitz: the best LW on the Cup team 2 years ago

– Man Ovi: he’s an awesome LW….

*note to self: save these gems for bigger forums!

* fun fact: 2 years ago, Jussi had more points than Lucic, Sharp, Landeskog. Kind of unrelated to LW comment, but not really…

20. barmstrong says:

JDî,

I watched Dallas every week! Ya. Ya… that’s the ticket… I watched Dallas every week… with my wife… Ya. With my wife… Morgan Fairchild.**

**I’m lying. My wife (Morgan Fairchild) and I have never watched Dallas.

barmstrong:
    JDî,

I watched Dallas every week!Ya. Ya… that’s the ticket… I watched Dallas every week… with my wife… Ya.With my wife… Morgan Fairchild.**

**I’m lying.My wife (Morgan Fairchild) and I have never watched Dallas.

She was on Falcon Crest too, and made at least one appearance on one of my favorite 70s shows (Switch).

22. barmstrong says:

JDî,

I do too. I used IMDB. Doesn’t list Mark Hamill though, just Grant Goodeve.

BTW 8 is more than enough for Drai:)

23. JDî says:

barmstrong: Mark Hamill

That was unexpected.

24. Bank Shot says:

If you could extend either one of Nurse or Benning for 4 years x$2 million tomorrow, which one do you chose?

I’d pick Nurse. He’s more raw but there is a lot of potential there still.

Benning may be near his ceiling already.

25. Mr. D. says:

Not sure how Grybas immobility is going to hinder the PK. His strength on the boards and netfront presence along with positional play more than makes up for it.

26. Mr. D. says:

BenNing has done great but has some head issues. Concussions are debilitating. His game was much softer after his concussions.

27. Scungilli Slushy says:

Nurse is only ~ 8 months younger than Benning. He has also had all kinds of experiences Benning hasn’t in hockey.

Right now Benning is ahead.

28. Munny says:

Everyone is going to have to play a step up the ladder while Sekera recuperates. I think Nurse and Benning will grow from it and saw off, or at least learn to.

I wonder how much we’ll see of Nurse-Russell together? I’d guess a fair bit, but there might be some flux on the back end till Coach finds a set of pairings he trusts most. The more Gryba plays, the more likely we are to see Russell on the left side.

This Auvitu addition strikes me as Jan Hejda sort of signing. Hopefully he pans out the same way. Really nice bet and a great insurance policy for cheap.

Also makes me wonder how long they’re planning to keep Seksy around after next season.

29. hags9k says:

Wait 5 years.

I think Darnell Nurse is about to lose the bambi legs. He has still been growing into his gigantic frame. Things are about to slow down a little and his head will be up just a little but more, and he is going to round out. That playoff experience for him is going to be huge going into the season.

This kid won’t be denied. I still think Gator 2.0 is coming.

I think he is the 3rd most valuable D in the system.

And I love Benning too.

GOILERS

30. Munny says:

And:

Donna Mills.

That is all.

31. Munny says:

hags9k,

His confidence seemed to grow by leaps and bounds last season.

32. Duane Hewitt says:

Ray: I would bet some people believe it to be Taylor Hall’s fault.

Maybe they should trade him for a real dman. Like Russell

Or Demers. Cept NJ would have to throw in at least a second rounder.

33. Ducey says:

Neimo going back to Finland next year, rather than the OHL.

34. russ99 says:

I’ll feel better about Auvitu when Sekera’s back.

His defensive shortcomings are real, and not Devils-system based and there’s only one Russell to cover at the back for all our young offensively focused d-men.