THE THIRD ROUND (2017 UPDATE)

While the successes of the second round (Martin Marincin, Tyler Pitlick, Anton Lander) play in the NHL as support players, 2013 third-round selection Anton Slepyshev has first-round talent and what looks like an excellent future.

I am hopeful we can have a reasonable conversation about Oilers past drafting, taking out bias and inserting rational thought. In order to do this, we absolutely have to agree on some things:

• We can’t judge a drafted player weeks after his selection.
  • We can count arrows, and they are a good indicator.
  • We cannot expect all of the picks to succeed, that isn’t reasonable.
  • We have come to  a conclusion about a line in the sand and agree to it (the Cullen grades).

Cullen’s numbers suggest a third-round selection has a 27.3% chance of playing 100 NHL games. Notable Oilers picks from the third round this century include Zack Stortini (297 NHL games) and Theo Peckham (160 NHL games).

OILERS THRD ROUND 2008-17

• 2008: No second-round selections (Kevin Lowe) (Stu MacGregor)
  • 2009: Troy Hesketh (Steve Tambellini) (Stu MacGregor)
  • 2009: Cameron Abney (Steve Tambellini) (Stu MacGregor)
  • 2010: Ryan Martindale (Steve Tambellini) (Stu MacGregor)
  • 2011: Samu Perhonen (Steve Tambellini) (Stu MacGregor)
  • 2011: Travis Ewanyk (Steve Tambellini) (Stu MacGregor)
  • 2012: Jujhar Khaira (Steve Tambellini) (Stu MacGregor)
  • 2012: Daniil Zharkov (Steve Tambellini) (Stu MacGregor)
  • 2013: Bogdan Yakimov (Craig MacTavish) (Stu MacGregor)
  • 2013: Anton Slepyshev (Craig MacTavish) (Stu MacGregor)
  • 2016: Markus Niemelainen (Peter Chiarelli) (Bob Green)
  • 2016: Matt Cairns (Peter Chiarelli) (Bob Green)
  • 2016: Filip Berglund (Peter Chiarelli) (Bob Green)
  • 2017: Stuart Skinner (Peter Chiarelli) (Bob Green)
  • 2017: Dmitri Samorukov (Peter Chiarelli) (Bob Green)

There are a number of picks—especially in the early years—that were poor the moment they were made. The first pick with a chance was Ryan Martindale (NHLE on draft day: 26 points) in 2010, and by 2012 things were a little more reasonable (although offensive potential remained a concern). I think MacT had a fine day in 2013, both Russians have played in the NHL. No picks in 2014 and 2015, three in 2016 and two in 2017. The Oilers have chosen five in this round in the last two years, that portion of this group will take some time to come into view.

2017 SUMMER (CAREER NHL GP)

1. Anton Slepyshev 52
  2. Jujhar Khaira 25
  3. Bogdan Yakimov 1

MacT’s crazy trade in 2013 may have fetched a quality player in Slepyshev. Corey Pronman was on him the year before Edmonton drafted him. He ranked him No. 17 overall (remember this is 2012, the Yakupov draft year).

• PronmanSlepyshev is one of the rare 17-year-old forwards who has been able to step into the KHL and produce, albeit at a marginal level. His production is along the lines of what elite prospects Evgeny Kuznetsov and Vladimir Tarasenko did in their 17-year-old seasons, though, for example. Slepyshev is an above-average skater who is tremendously agile and is also able to get up to a notable top gear. When you combine his great agility with the fact he has high-end puck skills, he really is a nuisance to check. Slepyshev is very effective at dodging opponents and creating space for himself. I’ve seen times on penalty kills where he would dance around the opposing zone for 15-25 seconds because several opponents keep missing him. Slepyshev has a plus if not near that shot and he knows it, as he has a shoot-first mentality with the ability to score from way out. He can still make plays and doesn’t have tunnel vision, but I wouldn’t classify him as a playmaker. Slepyshev’s physical game needs some work as while he’s average-sized, he’s got a bean pole frame and can easily be pushed off the puck. He will show some physical effort, although that at times could be better, and has some defensive value too, but his strength level is way behind where it needs to be.
  • Source

ARROWS

• “It’s over” arrows: Troy Hesketh, Cameron Abney, Ryan Martindale, Samu Perhonen, Travis Ewanyk, Daniil Zharkov
  • Bad arrows: Bogdan Yakimov, Markus Niemelainen, Matt Cairns
  • Lukewarm arrows:
  • Good arrows: Jujhar Khaira, Filip Berglund
  • Very good arrows: Anton Slepyshev

A very encouraging season, Slepyshev may not turn out but this past season featured some real progress. Khaira remains a prospect of note, Berglund had good arrows. Niemelainen could have been placed higher but there should be concern about him, and Matt Cairns has some issues and we’ll see what tomorrow brings. Bogdan Yakimov is unresolved business, I wonder if there’s a deal that can be struck (contract) at this point in time.

ONE BY ONE

• D Troy Hesketh: 54 players who have played in the NHL were chosen after Hesketh, who did not play hockey after 2011-12.
  • R Cameron Abney: Scored four points in 48 WHL games in his draft year.
  • C Ryan Martindale: Peaked in the AHL, played in Denmark 2016-17.
  • G Samu Perhonen: Struggled (.888) with KooKoo of Sm-Liiga 2016-17.
  • C Travis Ewanyk: Played most of 2016-17 in the ECHL (two different teams) and has signed a minor-league deal with Wichita (ECHL), coincidentally now the minor-league affiliate for the Oilers organization.
  • C Jujhar Khaira: Khaira was unlucky this year because of injury, but effective when he played. His AHL offense (27, 8-12-20) and NHL performance (10gp, 1-0-1) mean we have surrounded him offensively. If he can deliver enough offense in the NHL, Khaira will be around for some time. Waiver eligible this fall.
  • L Daniil Zharkov: Played six games in the KHL this season and hopefully he regains good health (injured badly in Bakersfield 2015 fall) and continues his career.
  • C Bogdan Yakimov: He had a pedestrian KHL season (50gp, 3-8-11) but the Oilers qualified him to retain rights. Probably nothing but the qualifying implies interest.
  • L Anton Slepyshev: A strong step forward this past season is one of the most encouraging stories in the entire system. In Edmonton he posted a solid half season (41gp, 4-6-10) and then scored three goals in 12 playoff games.
  • LD Markus Niemelainen: He fell off badly in offense (fell to nine points from 27) despite playing a full season. The information I received suggested Niemelainen remained effective defensively, but there had to be a disconnect somewhere.
  • LD Matt Cairns: When your new draft pick can’t get into a USHL lineup regularly, that’s a bad arrow. He did play in the BCHL but for me this is a major sign of danger.
  • RD Filip Berglund: There are good things about his season, including increased playing time in the SHL. Berglund’s season ahead will tell us a lot about him but legit progress is being made and there is promise with this player.

I wrote about Samorukov here and Skinner here.

27 Responses to "THE THIRD ROUND (2017 UPDATE)"

1. Westchester Oil says:

Hesketh, Abney, Ewanyk, etc were unbelievably bad picks. Still have no idea how Tambellini + McGregor lasted that long.

I know it’s in the past and these failures led to McDavid, but, man – that decade of darkness was brutal.

Westchester Oil:

Yeah, Martindale was the only pick before MacT’s Russians in this round who had something close to the bat required to play in the NHL. I remember the Abney pick well. I don’t object to an enforcer, but that pick was four rounds too soon. Awful value. Could have signed him after the draft, too.

3. Ben says:

Plausible scenario: the Devils send a couple of scouts to stroll over by the Tambellini draft table, one mentions some ludicrous off-the-board pick, the other guy quickly shushes him, they go sit back down and try to contain the laughter.

4. Thinker says:

Slepyshev came over pretty fast, for a guy who passed through the draft twice due to the russian factor. Wonder if there was more that the scouts saw.

5. Ryan says:

I think the combination of Connor McDavid and playoff hockey has taken the wind out of the sails of our collective angst as Oilers fans.

Winning hockey is the opiate for the masses.

Not long ago, any mention of the Oilers draft history was good for two hundred comments filled with vitriol.

Ryan:

Winning hockey is the opiate for the masses.

Well, there’s also some hope here. Two selections in the last five years are tracking well. That’s a good thing.

7. treevojo says:

Ryan:

Winning hockey is the opiate for the masses.

The partnership between Peter and Connor should put the angst down to a quiet hum.

I’m more pissed about the lack of food and beverage talk at this time of year.

Cast iron on the bbq has done wonders for me.

I need more tips.

treevojo: I still read every article and read every comment while commenting occasionally.

I’m more pissed about the lack of food and beverage talk at this time of year.

Cast iron on the bbq has done wonders for me.

I need more tips.

Lol. Do you barbeque salmon? I get addicted to it from time to time.

9. treevojo says:

Lowetide: Lol. Do you barbeque salmon? I get addicted to it from time to time.

Every once and a while the wife buys those flavoured smoked salmon planks to throw on the bbq.

They are heaven.

10. treevojo says:

I haven’t been out yet this year but the big thing is to fish for saltwater bass where they have to be 28″s to be a keeper.

They are delicious and basically you just have to throw a chunk of makeral or squid on a hook and plant your rod and wait while drinking copious amounts of beer.

I will go this week on that note.

Great on the bbq filled with onions.

11. JDî says:

treevojo: Cast iron on the bbq has done wonders for me.

The cast iron griddle rarely leaves the bbq here.

I just did Spolumbo’s bratwurst on it. It’s a great heat buffer, and helps to keep from drying out things like sausage.

Took the beer/water combo that the bratwurts were boiled in, and parboiled some potatoes in that. Then covered them in olive oil and Emeril spice, and roasted them on the bbq.

Then used the water from the potatoes, and boiled up some peas. After they were done, I blended the water, added some butter and curry powder, and reduced it to a gravy.

Nothing fancy or expensive, but oh so good!

p-chhht

12. treevojo says:

JDî: The cast iron griddle rarely leaves the bbq here.

Nothing fancy or expensive, but oh so good!

p-chhht

That’s the shit I’m talking about.

Thank you.

13. JDî says:

treevojo,

The griddle is perfect for chicken breasts, and I use a domed metal pot lid to cover them. Really keeps them moist.

Also, overlap the tails of the breasts to keep them from over cooking.

Will have to save my rabbit stew story for another time.

14. GMB3 says:

JDî: The cast iron griddle rarely leaves the bbq here.

Nothing fancy or expensive, but oh so good!

p-chhht

God damn. That sounds incredible.

I need to learn how to do such things.

15. treevojo says:

GMB3: God damn. That sounds incredible.

I need to learn how to do such things.

You just have to listen.

I keed I Keed.

16. JDî says:

treevojo: It’s basically the same as Nurse playing top two minutes at even strength next year after Christmas.

I would eat nothing but rye cakes and raw milk for a year, if Nurse could pull that off.

note: this is not a promise

17. Munny says:

JDî,

If you get a chance, pick up some duck fat from the Farmers Market and sub it for the olive oil. Works in the oven too, perfect for roasting potatoes.

18. JDî says:

Munny,

Yeah I’ve heard about that stuff. We’re kind of on a ‘no nonsense’ budget these days, but thanks for the tip.

Ultimately, some ‘me fat’ would be great for cooking. Closed loop.

19. Pescador says:

JDî,

Spolumbo Brat’s are the real deal.
    I use their spicy Italians in my tomato sauce instead of meatballs & it always reminds me of Paulie my favourite character on the Sopranos, sitting in Visuvios in that crazy suit.
    “Good gravy tonight”

20. JDî says:

Pescador,

The key for me is not the meat in the sauce, but the tomats. But yes, those Spolumbos meats are great.

I have a method for removing 85% of the seeds from canned tomatoes. The Kirkland organics are the best, but lesser brands are really good if you can get the seeds out.

Then if I can, I put them in a cast iron roaster and put them on the bbq at 500 degrees. Superbo!

I’ve done back to back Indian sauces with canned tomatoes, one with and one without seeds, and the difference is startling. The sweetness really comes through when you can get the seeds out first.

21. Pescador says:

JDî,

God I loved that show, I couldn’t believe my eyes when they started airing it on CTV Sunday nights on regular cable.
    Thank you for that Tip, i always cook with canned tomatoes.
    Never thought of removing the seeds.
    Love me some Indian food, tough to get that restaurant flavour in your own kitchen thou.
    Fusion Dry Spice packages are unbelievably good, I get mine at Save-On.
    Give them a go, I promise you won’t be disappointed,
    I would recommend you start with the reg Tandoori, I marinade my chicken thighs with that & heavy Greek yogurt, the BBQ and feast

22. OilSafety says:

I still love the staple; carrots, onions and potatoes in tin foil on the BBQ. Some butter or garlic butter, maybe rosemary or dill, or sometimes just Cajun spice.

The trick is to double wrap it in tin foil on opposite sides to avoid butter leaking and flaring up. Start it before your meat, it takes longer and tastes even better if things get crispy and the carrots carmelize.

Another note, pinehaven Hutterite colony by wetaskiwin has excellent beef bratwurst among other things at their meat shop. You can order online and pick up in west Edmonton too. We get everything but poultry there, some items like ground beef are cheaper than the supermarket. Good for those of us on a budget

23. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– great post lt! Our drafting sucked and we got McD! Yeah

– Funny you mention trout on the BBQ. Last night did a fresh lemon squeeezed with garlic fresh dill and seasoning from the maritimes my uncle brought. Marinated overnight in its juices but on the BBQ on tin foil on medium Skin got crispy trout was pink: awesome.

– side of peppers zucchini oignon in a balsamic and olive oil with a little butter and garlic wrapped in to. Foil then each piece on the Q for a minute to crisp them up:

– barely any dishes to clean everyone loved it.

– summer is great for the BBQ. Been marinating a flank steak for a few days which I will do but they are always tricky to cook to medium rare I find.

24. OilSafety says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

– barely any dishes to clean

If that isn’t the best part of barbecuing I don’t know what is.

25. jtblack says:

The fact is the Oilers drafting during the decade of darkness was not Good in any round …

If you look at the Hawks, Pens and Kings, winners of 8 of last 9 Cups, they all have a core player found later in the draft.

Hawks – Keith #54
    Pens – Letang # 62
    Kings – Quick #72

Not sure if this is a requirement to win, but it certainly cannot hurt. Getting a regular NHL player later in the draft (rds 2 – 7) is hard enough; getting a core player is like found money ….

Fingers crossed that the new draft crew can do MUCH better than the previous …

26. deankb says:

Best thread of the summer so far! Well done peoples, well done