50-MAN COMPLETE

In the last two weeks, I have received many emails, dm’s and shouts across the back fence from Oilers fans. Most wonder why Peter Chiarelli stopped where he did, an annual July tradition going back to the Sather years.

This year, I can see the reasoning, even as I do not agree with it. There are still names in free agency that are affordable, cap room remains even before placing Andrej Sekera on LTIR, and yet we are here. I believe there are three reasons Peter Chiarelli parked the car in the driveway when he did:

• The Draisaitl contract is not yet complete, so reject all signals until it is done.
  • The Sekera LTIR possibility isn’t one at all, as the team plans on covering the entire bonus total in order to ensure no overages heading into Connor McDavid’s big contract.
  • The organization believes the kids showed enough in the postseason to warrant a full shot in 2017-18.

That has to be it, otherwise there is a Nuge trade laying in the weeds that will require $2 million or more in cap room.

OILERS FORWARDS, EVEN-STRENGTH PLAYOFF SCORING

I can’t find the damn thing anywhere, so this is manually done via NHL.com and it is even strength (not 5×5). Apologies, if you know where the 5×5 numbers be, please let me know.

1. 2.89 Leon Draisail 13, 5-5-10 in 207:33
  2. 2.10 Patrick Maroon 13, 2-5-7 in 200:25
  3. 1.97 David Desharnais 13, 1-3-4 in 121:42
  4. 1.34 Anton Slepyshev 12, 3-0-3 in 134:29
  5. 1.08 Drake Caggiula 13, 3-0-3 in 167:26
  6. 1.06 Connor McDavid 13, 3-1-4 in 226:45
  7. 0.98 Milan Lucic 13, 0-3-3 in 183:23
  8. 0.81 Zack Kassian 13, 2-0-2 in 148:59
  9. 0.78 Mark Letestu 13, 1-1-2 in 154:09
  10. 0.36 Jordan Eberle 13, 0-1-1 in 164:53
  11. 0.34 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 13, 0-1-1 in 174:07

Slepyshev and Caggiula played significant roles (Caggiula was sixth in even-strength TOI) in the playoffs, and Peter Chiarelli mentioned giving the kids a chance was part of the plan. You don’t have to agree with it, but there is an answer to the question you’ve been sending me. Why haven’t the Oilers signed Jaromir Jagr? Anton Slepyshev, Drake Caggiula and Jesse Puljujarvi.

The Oilers are going to give some or all of these men 500 at-bats this coming regular season. If it doesn’t work, expect an addition at the deadline. This is us.

50-MAN LIST

The Edmonton Oilers signed Dillon Simpson yesterday afternoon, meaning Leon Draisaitl is the final piece of business. Peter Chiarelli brings his roster in at exactly 50, with two slide rules.

This is probably final final, with the next procurement window being training camp and invites. Edmonton should have some choice names, I’ll guess Jared Cowen and Ryan White.

NUGE WITH MCDAVID

Bob tweeted out his lines awhile back and folks are discussing the idea of Nuge replacing Leon on RW next season. I’m all for RNH getting a push (even though he’s extremely likely to be dealt) in an effort to jump start his offense.

I’m not sure it’s a good idea for the center depth chart, though. The Woodmoney numbers show us how many elite-opp minutes were played by all of the major players in the conversation:

1. Connor McDavid 468
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 444
  3. Leon Draisaitl 410
  4. Mark Letestu 167
  5. Drake Caggiula 143
  6. Anton Lander 41
  7. Puck IQ

It’s also important to register how well each man performed under that special stress. Puck IQ measures Dangerous Fenwick and here are the numbers:

1. Connor McDavid 55.20
  2. Leon Draisaitl 52.70
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 44.30
  4. Mark Letestu 40.90
  5. Drake Caggiula 38.70
  6. Anton Lander 28.70
  7. Puck IQ

Nuge is clearly underwater against the competition (my oh my, McDavid) so you want to change that equation if you’re Peter Chiarelli. How best to go about it? Well, moving 93 to 97’s line takes care of it for sure, but how much will Leon’s number suffer as a stand alone center? That’s the risk, and I would prefer Leon ease into the role of tough-minutes center (something I do think he will handle). Asking Leon to replace Nuge and his tough minutes role at age 22 (he has a late October birthday) is not close to the same situation as the ask of RNH in his second year. I’d still prefer an easing into the role. My preference? If the club is going to run Leon at center, this is my preferred lineup:

• Patrick Maroon—Connor McDavid—Ryan Strome
  • Milan Lucic—Leon Draisaitl—Anton Slepyshev
  • Jussi Jokinen—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Jesse Puljujarvi
  • Drake Cagguila—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian

Both 4line wingers can move up as required, Caggiula may end up being in the Strome or Slepyshev spot. If all of the youngsters fall, Jokinen could slide in on RW with McDavid or Leon. The one player who could lay waste to the competition? Jesse Puljujarvi.

I hate like hell counting on teenagers, but this is us.

NHLE’S FOR EVERY FORWARD PROSPECT IN THE SYSTEM

99 Responses to "50-MAN COMPLETE"

1. dustrock says:

Think McLellan will be using the MacBlender quite a bit in the first 30 games, and probably the last 52 games as well.

2. Optimism is like heroin says:

I would sure love to see Mike Fisher here, That would help the center and right wing while giving a boost to the PK and easier match ups for Leon and RNH.

3. vesci says:

Optimism is like heroin,

Agree with the Fisher love but I suspect given his age and who he is married to that he is in Nashville or retirement territory.

4. Woodguy v2.0 says:

If McLellan runs RNH with 97, I’d expect him to use that as the hard match line.

RNH had a 42% vs Elite, while McDavid had 36.

19-97-93 could see as high as 44% or so (and win those minutes) to give Leon as much clean air as possible.

Leon would still be in the mid-30’s I’d think.

5. Ducey says:

Jagr has played 34 games (with DAL) out of his 1900+ NHL games in the Western Conference.

Probably not a coincidence.

Woodguy v2.0:

Leon would still be in the mid-30’s I’d think.

And without McDavid. Question for you: Are you convinced McLellan hard matches?

Dennis Schellenberg‏
    @ScoutingFactory
    Dennis Schellenberg Retweeted swisshockeynews.ch
    #NYR Brandon Pirri might join Kevin Klein and signed with #ZSC Swiss League continues to draw attention to NHLers

8. Confused says:

Alexander Kerfoot, Aug 15, The next move?

9. VOR says:

I promised Revolved that I would post an explanation about why I think goals are going to go up.

I am placing it here because I am travelling today and won’t have access to Internet or twitter.

Note: What follows is a gross simplification. But hopefully explains the principle.

If I had to describe my career(s) in one simple phrase I would say I am a mathematical modeler. This may explain why the day Dustin Penner was traded I started trying to build a mathematical model of the NHL. I have been working on it ever since.

My version is not based on advanced stats as we currently understand them but rather is an economic model. I also look at sociological factors, psychological factors, and operating environments/governance.

There is a well understood economic principle that can be summarized by the conventional wisdom – you get what you reward.

Today’s NHL is a direct consequence of decisions made many years ago. It can be summed up by saying that older players get paid more and intangibles are highly valued. Essentially RFAs are told that just do what your coach and your team elders tell you and eventually you too can get money far in excess of what you can any longer produce.

This critical – the overpaying of aged stars reached a point where they were really no longer viable offensive forces. This appears economically insane on its face. Who pays their least productive staff the most money? But as you will see there was method to the madness.

This old guys are the best guys approach (which I as an old guy applaud) has an effect on the product we see on the ice. Minutes tend to follow salaries – and that means the poorest offensive players are on the ice a lot. Defensively they are often (experience matters) the best. Poor offence – good defence equals very few goals scored.

For several years now the pendulum has been swinging back towards a youth movement. RFAs are getting more and more money – especially those that can produce offense. Human nature is human nature. The agents will be seeing big possible paydays early for their clients and themselves. They will be working hard to alter the old guy culture.

The result is at some point, and I believe it will be this year we are going to reach a tipping point. Young scoring machines will become the most valuable labor unit in hockey and entire teams will be built around them. Instead of MacT’s famous “it isn’t what you create but what you leave” we will have coaches telling their players, “out score your mistakes”.

As for it happening this year if you continue to be interested I will share the math and the evidence that led me to that conclusion.

Confused:
    Alexander Kerfoot, Aug 15, The next move?

Suspect the Oilers will be in on him, as well as a couple of other college free agents.

11. razor says:

I actually think Pete did a good job of filling holes with the Jokinen and Auvitu signing, and that we are close to balance. Sure would be nice to have a 2RD that can anchor the pp, but that may come down the road. I see a couple of trades coming at the deadline for sure. Remember we didn’t have a true 3c all year last year until Desharnias

12. jtblack says:

Maybe the Swiss League is more stable than KHL …

Top 50 looks Solid to me … Stanley Cup Solid; not so sure … But seems like a lot of versatility and depth … I think the forward unit you have proposed gives the Oilers the best chance to win long term against Top Level Competition (playoffs) …

We need to clean up the easy points against Van and AZ (improved but still poor) … Get in and roll the dice ..

13. Richard S.S. says:

There is a plan that we as fans may not like it. It concerns the 1st McDavid extension year. Some people will be traded because they can be, just to clear Cap. Whether anything more than picks come back depends on others. It depends on how well they play, especially the RFAs. If they play poorly, they may not stay with the Oilers. If they play very well, the Oilers may not be able to keep them.

The Cap in 2018/19 and 2019/2020 might be a slow mover, or might be enough. The big question is, “Do the Oilers extend the RFAs now? Do the Oilers wait until they’ve earning bigger raises?”

14. Mustard Tiger says:

VOR,

This is fascinating, I’d love to hear more

15. Pescador says:

Lowetide wrote;

Even if it does work we should still expect an addition or 2 at the deadline, because injuries.
    Once Sekera returns that will be like a significant trade addition, I will guess he will need at least 13 games (month) to get back to being able to shelter Russell. Recovering from major surgery is one thing, getting back up to game speed is another.

16. smellyglove says:

dustrock,

MacBlender or McBlender?

17. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: And without McDavid. Question for you: Are you convinced McLellan hard matches?

The forwards yes

The defence, no.

RNH’s 42% was one of the highest in the NHL. That doesn’t happen by accident.

There was lots of verbal last year from McLellan about RNH getting “the toughest assignment” last year too.

If the other coach gives him a match he likes he’ll stick with it.

18. Revolved says:

VOR,

Thank you for the explanation, it certainly sounds like an interesting model! If you’ve been working on it since the Penner trade, perhaps it predicted the move from heavy hockey to fast checking strategies? I hope you’re right about the increased goal scoring.

19. Gret99zky says:

Lowetide: I would prefer Leon ease into the role of tough-minutes center (something I do think he will handle). Asking Leon to replace Nuge and his tough minutes role at age 22 (he has a late October birthday) is not close to the same situation as the ask of RNH in his second year. I’d still prefer an easing into the role.

Kind of like how fans would prefer Leon to ease his way into the mega money contract. 😉

20. Ducey says:

Lander: Dangerous Fenwick 28.7

Ugh.

Gret99zky: Kind of like how fans would prefer Leon to ease his way into the mega money contract.😉

I think it’s fair to be cautious about really big money on long term for sure.

22. Georges says:

VOR:

From yesterday’s thread, you said:

“Well welcome to the modern NHL, a bowl full of meh. Oh pardon me, a bowl full of parity.”

During the Gretzky-Lemieux era, 4 teams won the 9 Cups from 1983-84 to 1991-92.

In the post 2004-05 lockout era, 4 teams have won the past 9 Cups, 2008-09 to 2016-17.

Most of the Gretzky-Lemieux era featured 21 teams; the past 9 seasons featured 30 teams.

On the assumption of randomness or complete parity among teams, the odds of 4 or fewer teams sharing 9 consecutive Cups in a 21 team league are very low (around 700 to 1). The odds of 4 or fewer teams sharing 9 consecutive Cups in a 30 team league are more than five times worse. Which doesn’t lend support to the “bowl full of parity” hypothesis.

(I’m assuming you’ll work out the perms and combs if you’re interested.)

You seem to have a lot of nostalgia for the way the game was played and the heroes of your formative years: Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr.

I grew up a little later but around the same time. I remember smallish goaltenders wearing very little equipment flailing and waving at pucks as they slid past or through them. Good time to be shooting pucks. Setting aside equipment and size, the athleticism, technique, and understanding of modern goaltenders is, wouldn’t you say, a few significant steps ahead of what it was in those days when heroes were heroes and goalies were John Garrett?

Your commentary on CMD has been entertaining to read. And I agree that if he had played like the best player in the game, the Ducks would’ve been easily dispatched. So, yes, he has more to do. But lots of time to do it.

23. OF17 says:

Thinking about Caggiula, Slepyshev, and Puljujarvi last night gave me a new hypothesis as to how we could test a successful draft pick/signing. If they play two consecutive seasons without being a healthy scratch, they’re substantial enough players to make real contributions to on-ice product. That draft pick helped the team as an everyday contributor, which is what we’re after.

As I have time, I’ll pour through some players to see how this would change our list of draft successes, but on its face, it seems promising.

24. Revolved says:

There has been a lot of talk about RNH on McDavid’s wing, but this would require a drastic change of strategy from last year – they played 6:47 together 5×5. I agree with LT that it would not play to his strengths and I would rather give him better help. Here are RNH’s Corsi% WOWYs and TOI with some players last year:

RNH – 1077min – 49.1 Corsi%
    Eberle – 634 – 50.6
    Lucic – 431 – 50.2
    Pouliot – 332 – 48.5
    Kassian – 218 – 45.8
    Maroon – 214 – 54.2
    Draisaitl – 83 – 48.3
    Caggiula – 61 – 40.4
    Puljujarvi – 40 – 47.7
    Slepyshev – 37 – 50.8
    McDavid – 7 – 53.8

Many of these are small sample sizes and have fluctuating goals for %, but if Jokinen/ Puljujarvi don’t provide enough support (and that’s where I would start), then I’d try Maroon and Slepy. Maybe it would keep Maroon from pricing himself off the team!

25. slopitch says:

LT is it fair to say your stuck btw allowing Jokinen to “be a Pisani” (and mentoring DC, JP, Shleppy like Pisani did to Torres and Stoll in 06) vs signing a vet? Because you cant have the former without giving the kids at bats. I personally think the Jagr’s and Iggy’s or the world aren’t difference makers anymore but I like depth. I don’t think its clear that the Oilers need to sign vets when they can let it ride and add at the deadline. That said, there aren’t a ton of cases in the last few years where adding an expensive piece at the deadline has payed off (not that there are many difference makers left on the ufa vine). Pittsburgh has done a good job of adding complementary pieces on the cheap in recent years. But Sidney is such a strong 2 way player that anyone seems to look good on that team.

Since its not clear (to me anyways) I wont be overly upset if this is the roster going into the season. Its a good team. The last contract could be best off spent on a college or junior free agent who could be a value contract next year. Stock the system.

26. Thinker says:

Sad that we’re done. Would have liked to have gotten another jokinen type to run a legit shutdown line with RNH. Dman insurance would have been nice. And Jagr would have been gold. Guess they could still ditch a contract like Chase, but I doubt it.

27. N64 says:

“otherwise there is a Nuge trade laying in the weeds that will require $2 million or more in cap room.”

Nuge is gone real soon to clear up cap room. Except when he’s gone real soon in a trade that takes up cap room. You’re very impatient for Nuge to not be traded. 😉

“I would prefer Leon ease into the role of tough-minutes center”

Agreed. Coach does not mind having 2 centres in his top 6. Across home and the road, tough teams and easier teams, runs and slumps, early and late I think Drai will get as much centre as he masters. If he’s on a very short bridge deal or worse yet a short matched RFA it could happen faster.

N64: I will be sad when RNH goes. I can’t see a way around it.

29. OmJo says:

I can accept that we’re done, but I’d really like to bring in Jagr. Our veterans are Maroon, Nuge, Jokinen, Lucic, Kassian and Letestu. 6 players out of 12, 9 if you count McDavid, Draisaitl and Strome (based on age and GP, I don’t count them as veterans yet). If a Jagr is available for one year, I don’t see the harm in going down that path. Injuries will happen, so whichever one or Caggiula/Puljujarvi/Slepyshev that gets replaced with Jagr would eventually get some time to show his stuff. They have 140 games between the three of them and make up 1/4 of our lineup next season.

Edit: I can’t math.

30. russ99 says:

Any new word on Leon’s negotiations?

I really hope it gets done before camp.

31. frjohnk says:

N64: I will be sad when RNH goes. I can’t see a way around it.

Be positive and think like Lloyd Christmas when it comes to the chance RNH stays.

frjohnk: Unless Draisaitl is bridged, Nuge knocks it out of the park this year while Maroon and Strome stumble this year and the cap hits $80 Million.

Be positive and think like Lloyd Christmas when get comes to chances.

Nah. You need two players for the $6M Nuge is paid, and that’s a canyon.

33. Dominoiler says:

Drai at RW works w McD at an elite level..

“I’ve got an idea, Let’s put Nuge there!”

That solves everything (and or nothing).. it solves nothing at all, just puts nuge out of position.. bravo oilogosphere, just talking bullshit because you’ve ran out of other ideas, bravo..

I like your lines, LT.. can run good centre depth attempting unicorns and can load up when need be, putting ‘LEON the Proven Elite RW w McD’ up w McD and sliding strome w Leon’s line to third in rotation..

Or just nuge to McD’s RW because that solves everything!.. :/

34. frjohnk says:

Lowetide: Nah. You need two players for the $6M Nuge is paid, and that’s a canyon.

While I’m pretty sure that RNH is the next big contract to go ( and I think one of Maroon or Strome is the other who wont be here as well to start 18-19) there is a scenario in which RNH is an Oiler in 18-19 and beyond.

-Salary cap for 18-19 hits at least $80 Million

– Instead of Draisaitl at $8M for 8 years, he gets bridged at $5.5M for a few years

-RNH knocks it out of the park, with and without McDavid

-Maroon has another good year, pricing himself out of the Oilers range

-Strome comes nowhere close to replacing EBERLE, nevermind close to replacing Nuge.

-In this case, the Oilers do not bring back Maroon and Strome for 18-19 but could possibly fit Nuge in

35. haters says:

Using McD to zoom Rnh is by far the most foolish thing I’ve seen posted here.
    And I’ve seen some things here to be sure….
    If you slot Rnh on top line that puts 3 left shot forwards on the same line… the top line …
    The reason why Dria works there is he’s probably more dangerous on his backhand than anything else.

36. haters says:

If Drai doesn’t wanna come in at a reasonable number for about 4 years (6.5×4-5y) then I would be open to trading him for an Ekblad or something along those lines. Good players that have success in the playoffs is a dangerous thing for a cap.

I’d even do something like Drai and Klef for OEL and Strome.
    Buy low sell high and all that..

37. Georges says:

There was a comment yesterday about evaluating Eberle on a small sample of 13 playoff games.

Going into the playoffs, Eberle had scored 165 goals in 507 games. That works out to an average of a goal every 3.1 games (0.33 goals per game).

He had 0 goals in 13 playoff games. His expected number of goals for a stretch of 13 games based on his career average is 4.2.

Assuming goal scoring follows the Poisson distribution, the probability of observing 0 goals when the Poisson average is 4.2 is 1.5%. As well, a 0 goal sample mean is outside of the 95% confidence interval for a 13 game sample and a null hypothesis of 0.33 goals per game.

The 13 playoff game sample was against the Sharks and the Ducks, consistent WC playoff teams. Eberle’s 0 goals in those 13 games is a low probability result that is inconsistent with the hypothesis that he’s a 20+ goal scorer against WC playoff teams in the playoffs.

There were 3 forwards in the 0 goals in 13 playoff games leaky boat. 2 of the 3 are gone.

I’m sure I wrote posts in support of all 3 over the past season. Sigh.

38. N64 says:

N64: I will be sad when RNH goes. I can’t see a way around it.

For sure. Just keep on booking it.

Good night, Ryan. Good work. Sleep well. I’ll most likely trade you in the morning.

39. Thinker says:

haters:

I’d even do something like Drai and Klef for OEL and Strome.
    Buy low sell high and all that..

I would trade him for ekblad unless he is willing to take 2 mil for 8 years. That would be like having Nashville, but with McDavid.

haters:
    Using McD to zoom Rnh is by far the most foolish thing I’ve seen posted here.
    And I’ve seen some things here to be sure….

41. haters says:

Lowetide: The blog is arguing against Nuge on the top line, but handedness is not the reason I have misgivings.

Seeing as we don’t have a right shot defenseman with offensive flare I’d count this as the main concern regarding this combo. McDavid can do a lot but this lineup makes it infinitely easier to check and contain/suppress dangerous shots.

Wasn’t attacking you LT. I know I sound like that sometimes. I realize this idea prolly sprang up from people spit balling ideas. But imo it’s a bad idea. Rnh is a good hockey player. Overpaid a bit and might possibly be a better fit somewhere else. All I ask for back is a reasonably good center that can win face offs and skate a bit, plus a bit of cap room.

42. Munny says:

Your misgivings seem somewhat overblown though. TMac has to find out what Drai can handle in this regard, Nuge obviously wasn’t handling the load he was given, and lines are never set in stone.

I’m not saying I’m an advocate for RNH at 1RW. I just don’t see the “how much will Leon suffer?” argument as being that strong. It’s part of building and coaching a team to test such hypotheses and adjust accordingly. Drai at C against Tuffs NEEDS to happen in-season.

43. Pouzar says:

haters: Using McD to zoom Rnh is by far the most foolish thing I’ve seen posted here.

haters: I’d even do something like Drai and Klef for OEL and Strome.

44. digger50 says:

haters:
    Using McD to zoom Rnh is by far the most foolish thing I’ve seen posted here.
    And I’ve seen some things here to be sure….

No I don’t think it’s monumentally bad at all. I might argue trading Klef plus Drai is the worst idea ever.

We do have a coach that believes in loading up the top two lines with as much talents as possable. He is also not against trying folks all over the place to see what works, including players gaining some confidence.

The thing with Nuge is that if he can deliver 50 points for his contract it becomes more and more reasonable, and if we do trade him it’s is not only A salary dump but also a skill dump.

I don’t see the Oilers being to afford to dump any more skill. I don’t see Yamamoto stepping in. We have Jessie coming then a whole bunch of replacement players. With no cap room to work with, how do they get better?

I heard last year so many times not to worry about Connors deal as there will be a long term plan ……ect, this summer I’m hearing we will be very unlikely to keep the players we have, let alone improve. So here we sit, last chance to make a run before we can no longer afford players.

Truthfully, I don’t know what to make of it. One thing is obvious however, and that is Draisaitl. We absolutely need him to be that player he was in the playoffs. Critical, even it does cost a few extra $$

45. Georges says:

Pouzar,

Heh

46. frjohnk says:

haters: For a blog that obsessed about handedness for the better part of two years I’m astonished no one picked up how monumentally bad this would be.

Handedness matters more for D men and when setting up players for the power play.

At one time I thought that left handed shots did better on the left wing and right handed shots did better on the right wing. But I was shown the numbers are actually the opposite. Many of the best players play on their off wing. RNH on the right side could be a good thing

47. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Dominoiler,

It was first suggested by Stauffer here: https://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer/status/883893973458145280

I then discussed it with him and the key reason was for RNH to be F1 in the dzone as McDavid isn’t good at that part of the game yet.

Please continue to be a condescending asshole who’s assumptions are totally wrong though.

48. Gret99zky says:

We don’t know what we don’t know.™

Chia might have already made offers to Jagr, Wideman, Iggy, etc.

They were likely very Oiler friendly offers and the vets are waiting to get a better offer before camp kicks off.

We wait.™

49. Woodguy v2.0 says:

And I’ve seen some things here to be sure….
    If you slot Rnh on top line that puts 3 left shot forwards on the same line…

If you paid attention to the obsession with handedness you would have realized that its exclusively for Dmen, but don’t let facts get in the way of being a dink to everyone.

50. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar:

51. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:

Mint

52. Pouzar says:

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty 2m2 minutes ago
    Oiler draft D Markus Niemelainen on Finnish under 20 summer evaluation camp roster

53. Dominoiler says:

Woodguy v2.0: Wingers don’t really matter vis a vis handedness and there’s some thought that being off handed in the dzone might work better for wingers as they can guard the puck from the Dman with their ass and turn in towards the center of the ice to move the puck.

‘Continue being a condescending asshole’.. ok.. :/

Because you’re right, always..

And maybe check your ego, you’re not the only one in the ‘nuge to 1rw’ echo chamber.. le groan..

54. JDî says:

Dominoiler,

Yeah, coming to the defense of haters…

Until you guys start writing your own blog, develop a noteworthy hockey metric, and get invited to speak on local radio shows, get bent.

55. haters says:

Meh. Pretty sure having 3 left handed shots as forwards means the opposition can force players to one side making it a more difficult play to accept a pass on the backhand. While not a huge difference it is something to watch for. But you won’t find that in any statistics you pull out regularly so it probably doesn’t happen right ?

Tell me again how Rnh is better than RyJo?
    Get your stats. I’ll wait .

56. Pescador says:

haters:

That is by far the most foolish thing I’ve seen posted…

57. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Mint

Sometimes these things write themselves.

58. haters says:

Pescador: Florida already has Barkov & Ekblad, but your speculating that they would want Barkov & Draisaitl?
    That is by far the most foolish thing I’ve seen posted…

Hey. Nj was foolish enough to part with a top pairing dman for a winger so one can hope right ?

59. haters says:

Pouzar,

Sorry. You must be the one with the Hall Ebs and Drai jerseys lol.
    Or maybe you think paying someone 9m a year for 8 years based off a great playoffs is intelligent.
    I was just spit balling but I’m sure you have a much better idea.

60. mr sakich says:

using corsi, drai did marginally better with maroon over lucic. Connor did marginally better with lucic over maroon. I could see them switching lines this year to reflect that.

61. VOR says:

Georges, I am certainly nostalgic for my youth. Who isn’t. But really I am a greatness junkie.

I got hooked early. I think, I am doing this from memory, the exact date would be May 8th 1970.

I was a geeky, sick kid. I’d been home schooling or hospital schooling for months because of severe pneumonia.

Then greatness entered my bedroom through a TV screen and changed my life forever.

I am going to tell that story here tonight in stages. I am on my IPad and in a very distracting situation so stick with me. It will be worth it.

62. GMB3 says:

haters:
    Pouzar,

Sorry. You must be the one with the Hall Ebs and Drai jerseys lol.
    I was just spit balling but I’m sure you have a much better idea.

Everyone who disagrees with you must be a fan of Hall and Ebs and the decade of darkness? Can you not accept that people have differing opinions? You’re so against the advanced statistics of any kind yet act as though you are an authority on hockey? What makes you so qualified that your own eye test has more value then the contributions people who are actually known and respected in the hockey blogger-sphere?

63. Pescador says:

haters,

Y’know,
    You don’t actually Have to a wanker just to post here.

64. GMB3 says:

VOR:

Then greatness enteredmy bedroom through a TV screen and changed my life forever.

You said something in a prior post about McDavid only looking good against the backdrop of mediocrity that is today’s NHL. Why do you think the NHL is so mediocre today?

65. haters says:

Pescador:
    haters,

Y’know,
    You don’t actually Have to a wanker just to post here.

?
    Honestly idc anymore
    In my opinion people like WG and Dellow are losing interest in the media circles
    Anyone who thinks Russell and Larsson are average to poor players based on some pocession metrics, and using the same metrics applaud Pouliot and Fayne (extreme examples) are not going to hold anyone’s attention long.

Fancy stats are becoming as relevant as plus minus. Useful in context but must actually watch players play too 🙂

The thing Dellow had over WG is that he was a lawyer and was very skillful in debating and winning people over to his side. WG throws up stats and hopes something sticks and goes on the radio pontificating how Chia is so dumb trading Hall and signing Russell, sounding pretty silly to boot. Stick to wood my man, stay in your lane. You will never work in hockey. 🙁

66. VOR says:

So this is the story of Clyde.

Clyde grew up n the suburbs of Atlanta. From a very early age he had this incredible talent for football. By the time he reached high school he was QB1. He could run like a sprinter and had an amazing arm. There is old film of him throwing the ball in the air at least 60 yards and dropping it right in the hands of his receiver. But most impressive of all he could read defences like a pro, and surgically pick them apart.

College scouts should have been drooling.

Just one problem. Clyde is black. Back then black players didn’t play quarterback. Not even in college.

Clyde could have been a running back or a cornerback. He chose to focus on basketball instead. When he accepted a scholarship to Southern Illinois to play basketball he could never have dreamed that one day he would quarterback a team to the most improbable championship in sports history. Or that along the way he would forever change the meaning of the word itself.

67. frjohnk says:

haters: ?

We really don’t care if the door hits you on your way out

68. VOR says:

Georges,

A few years ago I was at a conference at Stanford. One of the plenary sessions was called facetiously, “what to do about a problem like Clyde?” The problem being that there are 2 version of the events of May 8th, 1970.

The basic facts, the ones millions of people, myself included, watched unfold on live TV are not in dispute. But there is a huge difference between the story of that incredible day as told by Clyde’s team mates and Clyde’s version.

If Clyde, ever humble stumbled his way to greatness as he claims he probably belongs right where he is, most sources have him being the 2nd most important black athlete of all time after Muhammed Ali. If his team mates have it right then Clyde is one of the most important figures in American history.

69. VOR says:

Georges,

So at last we come to the day itself. On May 8th, 1970 the mighty Los Angeles Lakers met the impossible underdog New York Knicks in game seven of the NBA finals. The Lakers featured three of the greatest basketball players of all time: Elgin Baylor, Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain.

The Knicks best player Willis Reed was not quite in that same elite class. He had suffered a very serious injury in game five and left the game, which the Knicks won. He didn’t play in game six and the Lakers won big.

Even though they were playing at home the Knicks clearly didn’t have a hope in game seven without Reed.

Then just as the game is about to start the entire of Madison Square Gardens starts to shake as Willis Reed comes out on to the court in uniform. Sports writers continue to list it as one of the 50 greatest moments in sports.

The thing is Reed only played a little over two minutes. On TV you could see he was in utter agony. Reed’s incredible courage set the stage for Clyde to change the world.

70. VOR says:

Georges,

The Knicks were shooting free throws when Clyde comes up to Reed who is bent over in obvious pain. They exchange words. Clyde says he just asked Reed how he was doing. His team mates say he said “Take a seat, big guy. I have it from here.”

Whatever Clyde looks at his bench beseechingly. They are all sitting on their hands. Clyde points at big Nate Bowman and Bowman gets up and checks in at the scorer’s table as Reed’s team mates help him to the bench.

Thus it begins. A player making coaching decisions. A black player over ruling a white coach. In a heartbeat sports changed for ever.

71. VOR says:

Georges,

Clyde’s team mates say that in the few seconds they huddled as Bowman came in Clyde said, “my way, the rest of the way.” Clyde says all he said was “just like in practice.”

Whatever he said what follows is what they called the swarm. The Knicks attacked the Laker with ball in numbers. As that player passed the ball the Knicks attacked the Laker who now had the ball. It was for all the world like every Laker was double teamed.

In the third quarter Jerry West would get so frustrated that he threw the ball into the stands deliberately. Mike Riordan who was in the backcourt with Clyde would say that was the moment the Knicks knew they were going to win. After the game was over West would say “it was like there were ten knicks on the court and six of them were Clyde.”

In the third quarter the commentators starting saying “you can see Clyde used to be a quarterback. He is making all the calls. He is quarterbacking the Knicks to victory.”

Not only did Clyde quarterback the Knicks to victory that day, as a player he had an out of body experience. Two years ago the Sportswriters of America voted it the greatest playoff performance in NBA history.

Not that any of this matters. It is what happened after the game that changed history.

72. Woodguy v2.0 says:

haters: ?
    Honestly idc anymore

The thing Dellow had over WG is that he was a lawyer and was very skillful in debating and winning people over to is side. WG throws stats and hopes something sticks and goes on the radio pontificating how Chia is so dumb trading Hall and signing Russell, sounding pretty silly to boot. Stick to wood my man, stay in your lane. You will never work in hockey.

There’s lots here, so I’ll address each point:

I don’t know what this means.

Dellow is actually media now. He’s a full time writer for The Athletic.

I don’t think I have any media interest other than LT having me on his show and Bob occasionally having me on his show.

I’m actually on the radio more now than before, but its been requested of me, I don’t seek it out.

So if by “losing interest” you mean “one works in media and the other is on media more often than before” then you nailed it.

This is one of the reason’s I stopped posting here for a while, but I feel like fighting the bullshit again for a while.

You are attributing things to me that I have not said or written.

You and people like you build up these straw men to beat the piss out of with no regard for truth or fact.

1) I am on record as liking Larsson and stated that less than 30 minutes after the trade: http://lowetide.ca/2016/06/29/approaching-unicorns/comment-page-1/#comment-544925

I could actually state that I liked Larsson due to my study of Dmen and knowing where he generally came on on the variety of metrics I was using to rate them. I rated him high then and still do.

2) Russell – Even media I generally disagree with peg Russell exactly where I do. A competent 4/5. I’m on record with this in many spots.

Also, for the love of all things when your computer writes a red squiggly line under a word is means its not spelled properly. Its possession, not pocession

3) Benoit Pouliot scored more pts/60 5v5 than in his first two years with the Oilers than Lucic did in his last year and BOS and year with LAK and he’s an analytical failure? Ok then.

I have never stated Chia is dumb on the radio. You are making things up again.

. Stick to wood my man, stay in your lane. You will never work in hockey

1) I am not your man

2) Hockey stats is my lane

3) I know people who work for teams and have a good idea of what the job pays. I pay my staff more than what the average analytics person working for a NHL team makes. Why would I take a massive paycut to work in hockey?

All you did was state things that were not true and make assumptions about me that are wildly inaccurate.

In other words, it was standard.

WG: How much would a staff member make? Asking for the blogging industry. 🙂

74. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Ever get the feeling you were wasting your breath?

75. Pescador says:

Nowhere close to A.M. Radio host, I’m sure of that!

76. VOR says:

Georges,

This is where the discrepancy between Clyde’s version and his team mates really matters. They say he told them he was “going to show them a third way.” when they asked him what he was going to say to the media. Clyde just refuses to answer the question other than to suggest his team mates are wrong.

They wanted to know because history was calling to Clyde.

I will sum it up simply. JFK, Bobby, Martin Luther King, the Black Panthers, Malcolm X, the black power salute at the Olympics, and riots in the streets. America was burning and there were only two kinds of black men: Uncle Toms, bowing and scraping and kissing the white man’s ass and radicals, Muslim hoodlums, gangster, drug dealers and rapists.

Then in the post game on May 8th, 1970 that changed forever. Clyde was sweet. He was charming, he was gracious and that could all have been seen as a classic Uncle Tom except for one fact. He stood their answering questions and each answer was in rhyming couplets. It was the coolest, hippest thing I and pretty much every one watching had ever seen.

Sociologists and historians say the first confirmed case happened two weeks later. Young men were spotted pretending to be Clyde. Young white men pretending to be a black basketball player. It is commonplace now. But it is commonplace because of Clyde.

It didn’t take me two weeks. I made up my mind to become a basketball player just like my hero Walt Frasier aka Clyde. But because I was a nerd I also made up my mind that day to take up a serious study of greatness. I have been a jock ever since. And for forty years I have been studying human performance.

Do I want to return to 1970? Nope. But it gave Clyde the stage he needed to change the world. If he intended that outcome as his team mates have claimed May 8th, 1970 was an example of real greatness and incredible grace under pressure. If Clyde was making it up as he went along he is just a footnote to history, a minor note in a much bigger score.

Whichever is the case Clyde changed my life forever.

77. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pescador:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Ever get the feeling you were wasting your breath?

Yes, but sometimes I feel like fighting against the garbage.

78. Woodguy v2.0 says:

WG: How much would a staff member make? Asking for the blogging industry.

Most analytics guys on NHL teams are in the $60K-$80K range from what I’ve gleaned.

My inside staff is in that range, and not at the low side.

I’m sure there are some guys working for team who will make a bit over $100K.

A good outstide salesman will make over $100K if the market is co-operating.

Pescador:

Nowhere close to A.M. Radio host, I’m sure of that!

Haha!

80. Mustard Tiger says:

VOR,

Great story

81. VOR says:

Woodguy,

Now that I am through spewing can I offer you a piece of advice, totally unsolicited advice?

You and I have had some tremendous arguments. I don’t regret any of that time because I have learned a great deal in the process.

You may remember my battles with DSF. In the end I was just wasting my time and pissing into the wind. Worse it brought out the intellectual bully in me. But worst of all I learned nothing.

I have reached a point in life where I would rather be learning fascinating new things than trying to change the minds of my many enemies or correcting my critics.

I try to spend most of my time discussing rather than debating. I save my A game for worthy foes like yourself. People who help me refine my thinking.

Might I suggest you do the same.

Yes I know you find it hard to tolerate fools gladly. We share that in common. I get that it is galling as shit to have people misread you, put words in your mouth, misrepresent your thinking, misquote you and take you out of context.

I know because I have lived through that and worse.

But sometimes we do it to ourselves. A Quill and Quire reviewer described one of my books as “too funny to read”. What can you possibly say in response to that. He wrote that 16 years ago and it still pisses me off. My wife rightly pointed out that it was a small part of an otherwise glowing review. 16 years later that still makes no difference.

I have however found peace through picking my fights.

Joust with knights not their pages or worse their horses or their asses.

82. Lloyd B. says:

VOR wrote

Might I suggest you do the same.
    I know because I have lived through that and worse.

Woodguy. This advice from VOR is most excellent. We do not know each other but do have a mutual friend. Joe G.

I as well do not suffer fools gladly. Ask Joe.

It is absolutely none of my business how you respond to the fools, but I learned a long time ago to take the high road.

It is tough as hell to shut up and let them blather on.

They will go away if you don’t engage them. Sometimes later rather than sooner but it is worth the wait.

Please do not let the VAST minority dictate your participation on LTs blog. This place is poorer without you.

83. jm363561 says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yes, but sometimes I feel like fighting against the garbage.

84. frjohnk says:

haters: But if there wasn’t truth all throughout what I said then why the point by point answers. You could just sluff me off as a troll.

There is no truth to your commenting. Woodguy showed how idiotic your commenting really is.

Other than trying to grind an axe with Woodguy or Pouzar or anybody else that “gets in your way”, you bring nothing to this blog.

So if you have an decency, could you please grab your stuff and leave.

Thanks.

85. frjohnk says:

haters:
    frjohnk,

Unless you have something relevant to add please keep me out of your comments. Thanks

Something relevant?

How about you showing some respect to LT and his blog? Go on twitter if you don’t want to be respectful to others, this is not the place.

How about you not attacking a poster like Pouzar, who NEVER slings mud to another poster and is well respected?

How about you bringing something to the table other than trying to put others down?

Many here have had disagreements with others, but were still respectful to each other.

Either learn to be respectful in your disagreements or leave.

86. Woodguy v2.0 says:

VOR,

Thanks Vor.

I too enjoy our debates tremendously and have always learned a lot.

I learned a lot from DSF as well. He was good at poking holes in arguments and he taught me to make sure I know what I knew before engaging. I actually like Andrew now that I understand his shtick and chat often with him on twitter.

Now that I know you’re a published author, you’ll have to share the titles! If you don’t want to let your identity known I understand. If you do want to share, DM me on twitter.

I appreciate your advice.

87. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yes, but sometimes I feel like fighting against the garbage.

88. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lloyd B.,

Thanks Lloyd.

My appetite for engaging ebbs and flows.

Two attacks on my RNH position without any counter evidence and that were both derisive to the opinion were enough today.

Its instructive to notice that others disagreed with the position, but with real questions and it spurred debate and more information.

I don’t attack people who disagree with my opinion, I just call those who do so with venom and no evidence.

I’ll hang around for a while again.

Is Joe G from Morinville?

89. Woodguy v2.0 says:

jm363561: Man, I could not believe some of the crap thrown your way today. You are one of the real heart and sole guys on the blog and I hope you can stay around but would quite understand if you gave a quick adios. I would just reiterate Lloyd B’s point that of the thousands who read LoweTide less than a handful are pilloxks. I am sure thousands of people are like me and really enjoy your posts and learn a great deal,from you.

Thanks, its appreciated.

My break has left me refreshed and renewed.

I’ll ignore most of the crap and only engage the terrible when the mood is upon me and not out of need.

At least that’s the plan………

90. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Huh.

I went to respond to Haters’ comments and they’re gone.

Deleted by author or deleted by LT?

91. Oilers Re-Sign Dillon Simpson, Is This It? • The Oilers Rig says:

[…] pointed something out on his blog yesterday (here) that essentially confirms to us that the Oilers are done for the summer. The club, with the […]

92. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Chachi: It was such an out-of-left-field kind of attack the only explanation is that “Haters” is in love with you. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

93. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah, my favorite part of it is when they respond to my bland and data filled post with derision and venom and then get all defensive and angry when I respond in kind.

94. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Chachi: I thought your response was fairly restrained given the nature of the attack. I guess you are used to it by now and that is kind of sad. I am glad you continue to do what you do despite the fact it exposes you to idiots like me from time to time. Thanks. Thanks to LT as well for making this a place where people with ideas and great stories feel comfortable enough to share them.

Love you too baby!

95. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: Love you too baby!

Thanks Mr. Savalas!

96. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Huh.

I went to respond to Haters’ comments and they’re gone.

Deleted by author or deleted by LT?

We had a respect issue last night, and some of us are spending some time thinking about what we’ve done.

98. BC says:

Is Callahan a LW? I could have sworn he is a RH shot. If he can play his off-wing that would be great, but I also think if what Staples suggests could be true and that Reinhart could be traded for again, it would be ideal to move one of the AHLers such as Chase, Platzer. Although, I would like to see if Chase could be a good 4th line AHL centre.

With the Condors signing Josh Currie and Zach O’Brien, that is two other forwards for the AHL squad.

Potential RH/RWs are Ferlin, Rattie, Callahan, Russel, O’Brien, and Chase.

Currie and Platzer are the RH pivots, unless they try Chase there. Perhaps Downing moves to the left wing. He could at least get top 9 minutes down there.

If they Oilers can get some wiggle room by moving Kyle Platzer, or Greg Chase, it would begreat to land Dominic Toninato. A line of Toninato – Gambardella – Callahan would cause serious havoc in the less structured AHL.

99. Oilers Re-Sign Dillon Simpson: Is This It? | The Oilers Rig says: