TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 1: JOSEPH GAMBARDELLA

If we listen to math and have knowledge of Todd McLellan’s coaching career, we should follow the progress of Joseph Gambardella closely. The young college man is aggressive on the forecheck, creates offense from broken plays, and arrives at a time when the Oilers need a “Rem Murray” or “Jim Dowd” to fill an important depth role.

NHL EQUIVALENCIES, 2016-17 FORWARDS

RE 17-18: 4GP, 0-0-0

1. How many training camp hopefuls were there last year? Eight. Dillon Simpson (I predicted four games, he played three), Anton Slepyshev (I predicted one game, he played 41), Joey Laleggia (four games predicted, he played none), Jere Sallinen (two, none), Taylor Beck (10, 5), Tyler Pitlick (10, 31), David Musil (10, 0) and Drake Caggiula (25, 60).
  2. Why will McLellan like him? He is very aggressive, has offense and is older for a new pro. McLellan picked similar players in San Jose for depth roles.
  3. Like? The list of Sharks forwards with no pedigree who played for the Sharks under McLellan includes forwards Andrew Desjardins, Torrey Mitchell and Tommy Wingels. The Oilers are going to need inexpensive checkers who can post some numbers.
  4. How much can he bring offensively? The NHLE is shy of Drake Caggiula, so we shouldn’t overrate his bat, but Gambardella did have success in college grinding out offense by playing good defense.
  5. Could he emerge as more of an NHL option this season? Sure. He’ll need some luck but the Oilers are not loaded at center. Competition includes Brad Malone (first center recall) so a strong training camp may give him a push.
  6. What is his strongest argument? He has some range in an area where the organization lacks depth. This is a really good fit for Gambardella. His agent did a helluva job.
  7. What will his role be in Bakersfield? Two-way forward, probably top 6F and he should post strong boxcars. Went 6gp, 1-2-3 at the end of the season, so 35-40 points in 68 games seems possible. At worst he is 3C, behind Malone and Josh Currie but I don’t buy it. Grayson Downing is also in the conversation (I looked at Bakersfield here).
  8. What one thing will get him to the NHL? Among the locks for Bakersfield, he appears to be close to the most NHL-ready.
  9. What will keep him from getting an NHL look? It’s a fairly small list. He is 5.10, 200, so lack of size may keep him from getting multiple chances. Other than that, he looks like a good candidate. Aggressive, great work ethic, good speed, has some scoring touch. The worst thing you can say about him is that it might be next year for his NHL look.
  10. What else? Ryan Lambert had this to say: The game Lowell brings to the table every season is hard forechecking and cycling, but few lines have done it to the level of perfection Gambardella, Smith, and Edwardh brought this year. They create so many own-zone turnovers that end up in the back of the net, and leave opposing coaches shaking their heads. Coaches tend to categorize these things as uncharacteristic mistakes, and to some extent that’s true. But the mistakes are very characteristic of what happens when you play the River Hawks. Source
  11. When will we know he has a chance? When Todd McLellan talks about him in training camp the way he talked about Anton Slepyshev and Iiro Pakarinen.

39 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 1: JOSEPH GAMBARDELLA"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

The Malone signing made the journey harder for Joey G – I look forward to them having nice camps and providing some hope for injury depth.

2. hickey99 says:

I know this is off topic for this thread but do you think Leon might be putting the screws to the oilers to get back at the oilers for his first year. I’ve been an oilers fan my whole life back to the 80’s but i was disappointed with the team’s dealing with LD. Basically they told us that burning his full year wouldnt give him the resume for a real big second contract and then not letting him go and play in the wj’s and sent him to the dub right after the wj’s were over…and we know he loves playing for his home country. I hope the loose lips of the past administration aren’t coming back to roost.

3. Chachi says:

I would let any of Gambardella, Laleggia or Caggiula cut in front me in line at the deli in Spinelli’s even if it looked like they were about to run out of the good prosciutto. We all have to make sacrifices for the team.

4. Silver Streak says:

Lowetide….what was Pavelski`s NHLE compared to Garmbardells`s …..Not sure how their teams compared…Notre dame vs: UMass Lowell…..nice to have him turn some of that D into O as little Joe did.

Silver Streak:
    Lowetide….what was Pavelski`s NHLE compared to Garmbardells`s…..Not sure how their teams compared…Notre dame vs: UMass Lowell…..nice to have him turn some of that D into O as little Joe did.

The NHLE at that time was .33

So Pavelski would have come in around 35 points in his final college year.

6. leadfarmer says:

Silver Streak:

Well Pavelski was a Badger. Given that he had 45 and 56 points his freshman and sophomore year I would say probably don’t compare well. Most good college prospects especially forwards are out of college by junior year.
    Living in central Wisconsin a lot of hockey people knew him and watched him play in high school. Poor skater but any time he got the puck it ended up in the net

7. Silver Streak says:

leadfarmer,

ahhh thanks for that… I thought he was an “Irish ” …..I think we have a very good prospect here.

8. Pouzar says:

Sidebar: Where does Canadian Club fall in the whisky rankings?

Asking for a friend.

Fine. I am a free man for 2 weeks. I ran out of wine/beer and I need something to drink.
    Alright fine…I had one drink of the crap already. Don’y you judge me! #IknowNothingAboutWhisky

Sidenote: Don’t let this degenrate into a denbate on the spelling od whizky.

Cheers

9. highgloveside says:

I don’t understand how a player 5’10” and 200 lbs can be considered small and someone who is 6″2″ and 185 lbs is considered decent size. There is probably 25 lbs of muscle difference. Last I checked, looking over other players is not as much as an advantage as having strength and muscle along the boards. Low center of gravity is not a bad thing.

To me it makes more sense to gauge size more on weight and not height. Any hockey player 200 lbs or more should be considered to have good size.

Pouzar:
    Sidebar: Where does Canadian Club fall in the whisky rankings?

Asking for a friend.

Sidenote: Don’t let this degenrate into a denbate on the spelling od whizky.

Cheers

I only have Crown Royal anymore so can’t really say.

11. stush18 says:

highgloveside:
    I don’t understand how a player 5’10” and 200 lbs can be considered small and someone who is 6″2″ and 185 lbs is considered decent size.There is probably 25 lbs of muscle difference.Last I checked, looking over other players is not as much as an advantage as having strength and muscle along the boards.Low center of gravity is not a bad thing.

To me it makes more sense to gauge size more on weight and not height.Any hockey player 200 lbs or more should be considered to have good size.

Somewhere rickibear is smiling in his cave

12. Brantford Boy says:

Pouzar:
    Sidebar: Where does Canadian Club fall in the whisky rankings?

Asking for a friend.

Sidenote: Don’t let this degenrate into a denbate on the spelling od whizky.

Cheers

Generally speaking…
    1 Crown Royal – Northern Harvest
    2 Crown Royal
    3 Wisers
    4 Forty Creek
    5 Canadian Club

Although I’m drinking Spicebox whisky like its going out of style and highly recommend it, probably insert it at #2 currently… your taste may be different, I have friends who swear by CC as #1, but they are Red Wings fans so there’s that… Sláinte!

13. kgo says:

Shelter point whiskey, from Campbell River on Vancouver island

14. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I only have Crown Royal anymore so can’t really say.

Thx LT…I’m ALready Gone. 🙂

15. Pouzar says:

Brantford Boy: Generally speaking…
    1 Crown Royal – Northern Harvest
    2 Crown Royal
    3 Wisers
    4 Forty Creek
    5 Canadian Club

Although I’m drinking Spicebox whisky like its going out of style and highly recommend it, probably insert it at #2 currently…your taste may be different, I have friends who swear by CC as #1, but they are Red Wings fans so there’s that… Sláinte!

Top 5?

That’s waaaaay more than what I was expecting! BOOYAH!

16. Pouzar says:

kgo:
    Shelter point whiskey, from Campbell River on Vancouver island

Thx mang.

Is it possible to be a Happy Wisky Drunk?

17. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    Sidebar: Where does Canadian Club fall in the whisky rankings?

Asking for a friend.

Sidenote: Don’t let this degenrate into a denbate on the spelling od whizky.

Cheers

Years ago went to a small town bar dance in Sasky

I won the door prize of $500.

They ended up getting more people come to the dance than anticipated.

They ran out of all booze except Canadian Club.

Also ran out of all mix except Clamato.

At 2 in the morning it was an allright drink.

18. frjohnk says:

I sometimes drink Canadian Club and Amaretto on the rocks.

Very nice drink.

Was at the lake with wifes family the first time I drank that.

Did not pace myself. At. All.

I do now.

19. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Years ago went to a small town bar dance in Sasky

I won the door prize of $500.

They ended up getting more people come to the dance than anticipated.

They ran out of all booze except Canadian Club.

Also ran out of all mix except Clamato.

At 2 in the morning it was an allright drink.

ha ha!

nice one!

20. Pouzar says:

frjohnk:
    I sometimes drink Canadian Club and Amaretto on the rocks.

Very nice drink.

Was at the lake with wifes family the first time I drank that.

Did not pace myself.At. All.

I do now.

Wow…I have no idea which is the crazier mix…Clam or Am.
    You are a Beast!

21. Lloyd B. says:

Pouzar: Wow…I have no idea which is the crazier mix…Clam or Am.
    You are a Beast!

I’ve always found CC a tad off. Always great to find it in a pub in a foreign country though.

I prefer Gibsons Silver now.

A story about weird mixes. Years ago I knew a fellow who also liked Canadian whiskey. One night we ran out of mix and looked in the fridge.

There was a can of apple juice. Apple juice and whiskey it was. Great at the time. Tried it a few times after and it never was the same.

My Dad was a whiskey drinker. He always drank a three finger with just enough water that the Whiskey did not change color. No ice.

His philosophy was there was always water no matter where you were. There was not always a mix and certainly no guarantee of ice.

22. Thinker says:

And here I am drinking Beerka. It’s the destination, not the journey. I’m still on the college drinking. Gatorade n gin. Vodka and mio. Battery acid and paint thinner.

23. stush18 says:

Thinker:

Haha Jesus I remember having vodka and mio.

Buy the cheapest vodka I could afford and a thing of mio and I was set. Don’t even taste the vodka

24. stush18 says:

Brantford Boy: Generally speaking…
    1 Crown Royal – Northern Harvest
    2 Crown Royal
    3 Wisers
    4 Forty Creek
    5 Canadian Club

1) northern harvest
    2) forty creek
    3) crown royal
    4) wisers
    5) CC

As someone mentioned above, CC is what they serve us at the small town bars and weddings. So I might just not enjoy it.

If you don’t mind a sweeter drink, I actually enjoy the JD Honey jack whiskey. I use that and a splash of ginger ale for bubble and some ice. Pretty good imo

Or just drink from the bottle. No ones judging

25. Genjutsu says:

Pouzar: Thx mang.

Is it possible to be a Happy Wisky Drunk?

Yeah but not rye. Canadian whiskey gets the blood up.

CC is my go to but CR is a close second.

Both go good neat or rocks. Both mix well with water, Coke or Canada Dry.

But don’t take my word for it the only way is to taste and make your own conclusions.

Good times.

26. Pouzar says:

Lloyd B.: I prefer Gibsons Silver now.

I have Gibson’s Rare in the stash!

Great story man I appreciate it!

27. Pouzar says:

Genjutsu: CC is my go to but CR is a close second.

I love this blog.

28. Broiler says:

Loved OFC when I was young, but then I would drink anything and a lot of it. As I have matured aged Whiskey is much more smooth and forgiving.
    1) Gibson Rare
    2) Gibson Rare 12 year
    3) Crown Royal Limited Edition
    3 Crown Royal Harvest Moon

29. stephen sheps says:

Pouzar,

Ok, here goes…

I’m not big on Canadian whiskey at the best of times. As most of y’all know from previous whiskey threads, I’m a bourbon man first, a scotch aficionado second and recently I’ve been enjoying whiskeys from Japan and particularly Kavalan from Taiwan. And if I’m going to drink rye, lately I’ve been all about two American brands – Pikesville and Rittenhouse (which is the same juice, just 4 yrs for the latter rather than 6 for the former. They’re both delicious but unlike our Rye whiskey which is usually 90% rye or higher in the mashbill, this stuff is 51% rye, 35% corn, 14% barley, so it tastes more like a spicy, complex bourbon than what we think of as rye).

If I’m drinking Canadian, which is not often, it’s going to be:
    1) Northen Harvest
    2) Alberta Premuim Dark Horse (which is coincidentally the same juice as Whistle Pig Rye, it’s just aged in Vermont rather than Alberta and sold for 4 times the price)
    3) Canadian Club 100% rye
    4) Forty Creek
    5) Crown Royal (standard issue)

30. Lloyd B. says:

Pouzar: I have Gibson’s Rare in the stash!

Great story man I appreciate it!

CHEERS!!

31. Brantford Boy says:

Broiler,

Damn, forgot about Gibsons, good stuff… my bad… complete oversight, my list is all messed up now… probably a strong #3 for me…

32. kgo says:

Pouzar: Thx mang.

Is it possible to be a Happy Wisky Drunk?

Certainly not if you’re drunk in Campbell River

33. HiddenDarts says:

A little surprised no one has mentioned the Gretzky whiskey. My mother keeps forgetting to bring the bottle when she comes to visit. She got me it for Christmas, but is afraid they’ll seize it at the US border if she ships it.

Anyone try it and has an assessment? Be honest, of course. It’s not like Wayne fired up the still himself. 😉

34. BC says:

Whiskey, or Whisky, depends on the country of origin, from my understanding. If there is an E in the country’s name then there is an E in their whiskey. Scotland, India, Japan and Canada have Whisky, America and Ireland have Whiskey.

To really enjoy a good bit of whisky you should try adding a wee bit of water to a 2 ounces. (1 always looks so lonely.) This will help bring forth flavours and aromas that are indistinguishable when at such a high concentration. Start with a little, say a teaspoon or two. You can always add more.

If you are willing to spend a wee bit more, get Canadian Club Small Batch, 12 years. Quite affordable at the old SLGA, and a fantastic, rich flavour with rather smooth finish.

40 Creek Copper Pot is quite enjoyable as well.

35. Johnny Stomper says:

How to drink Whisky like a sir! Watch this video this guy is the best.

36. Strapping Jocks says:

HiddenDarts:

I am coming a bit late to this discussion (and thirsty now at 9am on a hot Ottawa morning!). I got a bottle of Gretzky as a gift and drank it all through the Oilers’ playoff run. It was delicious. But taste and enjoyment may also have to be attributable to the situation.

Otherwise I think Golden Harvest is great, and would never pass up an offer for regular CR with some ginger. Will usually pass on CC though.

37. russ99 says:

Thinker:

LOL. One time in college we were broke so all we could get was the generic jug o’ vodka, and the only mixer we had in the house was diet cola.

Did the trick, but oh so nasty.

I tend to avoid the brown liquor nowadays, doesn’t agree with my disposition. Too many late nights followed by missing days in my youth.

I’m a fan of Gambardella, but he seems to fit the grinder profile that all of our forwards in the AHL have been lately, and you can usually find a guy to fit in a bottom six role for 10 games or so anywhere. Here’s hoping he can be more than that and turn into a Wingels.

Looking forward to Yamamoto in the AHL the following season, it’s been a long time since we had a dynamic offensive prospect at that level.

38. Suntory Hanzo says:

Suntory Zen is my fav whisky. Super cheap in Japan too.

39. Centre of attention says:

I’m a Dave Jameson guy myself.