DOG DAYS

On the night of November 30, 2013, Laurent Brossoit stopped 30 of 31 shots and backstopped the Oklahoma City Barons to a win. Since that night, he has been the great hope for an organization known for an inability to find the goalie magic via the draft and amateur procurement. This fall, he gets his chance right from the start of the season after being a callup in 2017-18, and after posting 8gp, 1.99 .928 in the show.

Brossoit has some fascinating competition on the way. Consider the save percentages for the other goalies who will play pro below him this season:

• Nick Ellis, now 23, went 34gp, 2.69 .918 in Bakersfield (AHL).
  • Edward Pasquale, now 26, went 29gp, 2.43 .919 in Grand Rapids (AHL).
  • Shane Starrett, now 23, went 37gp, 1.99 925 with Air Force Academy (NCAA).

These are fine numbers and Brossoit has been consistent at the AHL level (three dates around Christmas 2016 aside). There isn’t much fame behind Cam Talbot but the resumes have some impressive boxcars. As is the case up front, Peter Chiarelli’s Oilers do not resemble the classic roster of a team getting ready for Stanley, but rather of a building team looking for answers to the final questions outstanding. Some pedestrian names are going to get some at-bats this winter, goaltenders included.

FREE AGENTS, 2017

It rolled out in such unusual fashion, I thought it might be an idea to go back and examine the Oilers in free agency. The bigger signings happened late, everyone is making basically the same money, and (as is the case with the goalies) fame has eluded the most of the new hires.

1. F Jussi Jokinen: I love the signing because it brings balance and structure to the forward group, and one assumes some real competition to LW. Jokinen has substantial skill and could end up playing with 97 during the year. There are so many applications for Jokinen on this roster the Oilers could use another. He’ll spend the entire season in the lineup if health allows.
  2. LD Yohann Auvitu: I have him making the opening night roster and playing well enough to hang around all season. He may get some power-play time on the roster too, so the boxcars could exceed some regulars.
  3. R Ty Rattie: He has scored 27 goals per 82 AHL games during his career and that is a solid total. His competition for NHL work (Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, Kassian, Caggiula Pakarinen) is solid but in many ways unproven. He is going to need a lot of luck, and second-round picks sometimes don’t get a third chance, but this is a reasonable bet for both player and team.
  4. LC Brad Malone: Anton Lander’s replacement brings some of the same elements in his play. I have him as an early recall, someone like Joe Gambardella could catch and pass him during the year. My final two spots on the opening night roster go to Jujhar Khaira and Iiro Pakarinen, but Malone, as a center, could force his way into the conversation.
  5. LD Ryan Stanton: I have him No. 9 on the defensive depth chart, meaning No. 8 with Andrej Sekera’s injury. I have Stanton just ahead of Mark Fayne, but that might be the other way around for Todd McLellan. Either way, Stanton will play in the NHL this season, pretty sure.
  6. R Mitch Callahan: You know, his resume is pretty damned good. He averages 42 points per 82 AHL games and plays a gritty two-way game. I do not have him on my RE list.
  7. G Edward Pasquale: It would be easy to overlook Pasquale on the current depth chart, but he has a lot of pro experience compared to the rest of the AHL group. He has been solid since sitting out the 2014-15 season recovering from hip surgery.
  8. LD Keegan Lowe: I do have him as a recall option, Dillon Simpson is ahead of him on my list, so that puts Lowe at about No. 12 (sometimes those defensemen make an NHL appearance, sometimes a team uses fewer or acquires other options). He could play this season with the Oilers.
  9. R Brian Ferlin: He is a promising longer term option but this season probably sees Ferlin play exclusively in the AHL and staying healthy. A strange and difficult career path, I’ll be cheering for him.
  10. LC Grayson Downing: One cool aspect of this signing? Downing is not an AHL veteran, meaning there are no restrictions (AHL teams can only dress a certain number of veterans). I’m not sure we know what he is yet (48 points per 82 AHL games) but he is an interesting prospect.

WHAT’S UP WITH LEON?

Nothing shaking but that’s not a big deal. Arizona, Nashville, Carolina and New Jersey have $10 million to spend if they wish but the chances of this happening remains a distant bell based on history.

55 Responses to "DOG DAYS"

1. Jethro Tull says:

Drai for Parayko. Would ya?

*Please note, not asking if the Blues would do it, or if the Oil would do it, or if your aunt Fanny would do it. Straight up answer whether you, personally, reading this now, would pull the trigger.

2. Ducey says:

Nashville has Johansen and Arvidsson to sign and an internal cap. They have enough trouble without trying to offer sheet Leon. I expect Johansen will be a tough sign. He has been at every step of his career.

Arizona is cheap and doesn’t have a second rounder next year; they can’t.

I expect CAR looks at their budget next year and notices they have four RFA defensemen to sign. That likely goobles up all the money they would want to spend on their internal budget.

NJ? Who the hell knows. They seem to be content just being meh.

3. natejax97 says:

Jethro Tull,

Nope. Our D is just fine, with Nurse and Benning on their way. We need Draisaitl more than Parayko.

Nice work by Chia to get us a nice solid deep defense core.

4. Ducey says:

Jethro Tull:
    Drai for Parayko.Would ya?

*Please note, not asking if the Blues would do it, or if the Oil would do it, or if your aunt Fanny would do it.Straight up answer whether you, personally, reading this now, would pull the trigger.

It depends.

If I can get Leon for $7.5 x 8, I keep him.

If its more than that, I make the trade.

5. Jethro Tull says:

natejax97: Nice work by Chia to get us a nice solid deep defense core.

And cheap.

6. Evilas says:

Question for anyone who watched the Joey Moss Cup in Jasper this year, which of the goaltenders impressed the most. I am curious how Svoboda stacked up to the rest.

Depending on contract talks, if Draisatl’s camp is demanding more than $7.5 million/year, I would definitely trade him for Parayko straight up.

7. JustWatt says:

Jethro Tull,

Interesting question. I think that adding Parayko for Draisaitl would set the Oilers up like something closer to Nashville in composition than say Pittsburg or Chicago. (Great D, very good G, weak up front)

That strategy worked well enough to get Nashville to a final, but only one time and eventually their inability to score caught up with them. Can’t see that as much of a concern with McDavid in the heart of his career so it could work.

On the other hand Pittsburg and Chicago have gone offense heavy and have made the finals and actually won it all several times a piece. And their style of play is so much more exciting to watch. The NHL is a faster, more skilled league right now (IMO) because of teams copying their model, which I love.

So I decline the trade.

8. VOR says:

Jethro Tull,

I would also decline your trade. There is a risk premium with Parayko. Among other things he may not bring all of his game with him,. The Oilers play a very different system than St. Louis and Parayko might not handle that difference. Given all the other bets the Oilers are making this year another side bet is the last thing they need.

9. zatch says:

JustWatt,

Matt Henderson I think took a look at Nurse and didn’t love what he saw for projection (at least, he doesn’t project to be nearly as good as Dougie Hamilton). I would love to move him in a trade, as I think he’s close to peak value right now. Drai for Parayko, Nurse and a first to upgrade the f?

I am rarely in favor of forward for defense trades because F’s are usually healthier and more predictable. I would be tempted by Parayko, though.

11. BONE207 says:

Jethro Tull:
    Drai for Parayko.Would ya?

I’m with most of you. Drai at a reasonable price I’d keep. If his contract is too heavy for the cap, send the greedy German off to the Mississippi. I hope the offence will come from elsewhere.

12. trencan says:

Jethro Tull:
    Drai for Parayko.Would ya?

It depends on salary but I would take McKinnon for Drai. Long term, good value contract and I think he had chemistry with 97 on WC.

13. Revolved says:

I am rarely in favor of forward for defense trades because F’s are usually healthier and more predictable.I would be tempted by Parayko, though.

I would counter that forwards only appear more consistent because their results are easier to measure (points) and that defenders may make up for lost games by playing about 25% more of each game.

14. Rondo says:

why would STL play hardball with Parayko? If he only signs for 1 year they may lose him.

Arbitration?

15. Silver Streak says:

Jethro Tull,

No…but things might change if Dr. Dri requires over 8 x 8 ……then Id have to look at it again.

16. Oddspell says:

Jethro Tull,

Gosh that’s tough. I think I might just do it to be honest. I think it makes the team worse next year, but puts us in a better position to rapidly elevate ourselves into championship territory. A D core of Klefbom, Larsson, Parayko, with McDavid up front? Je-sus. If either of Yamamoto or Puljujarvi can pan out as “river pushers” in the next couple years then I think we have the next Blackhawks on our hands. Maybe that makes Nurse available for secondary scoring.

Of course if history is anything to go by then by committing to this position, I’ve doomed Parayko to drop off the face of the earth next year.

I should note, that I’m not sure I maintain this position if Parayko is signed to a bridge deal due to arbitration.

Revolved: This is a fascinating look into your train of thought and I would agree that nothing is more valuable than a top flight center. What are your thoughts behind it?

If Parayko is in fact a franchise defender (say 45+ points, heavy minutes) then I would value that on the same level as Leon. He would be a perfect fit for the next decade and could fit under the cap. He would also give tremendous clarity to the D position. Edmonton would miss Leon a lot, so this isn’t a deal you make without a lot of consideration. I am encouraged by Pararyko’s DFF numbers at Puck IQ, especially against elites.

It is an interesting idea, I’d love to know what the scouts think about Parayko’s future. The numbers I value like him a lot, and he was playing much of the year with Joel Edmundson and Jay Bouwmeester.

18. Oddspell says:

zatch:
    JustWatt,

19. jake70 says:

Oddspell: Drai for Parayko, Nurse + 1st for MacKinnon? That might be a good set of moves for the Oilers in my opinion. Not sure how St. Louis or Colorado feel.

I don’t comment on trades, because I don’t have adequate insight to evaluate them . But this is intriguing. I wonder if Mckinnon could get ‘unlocked” offensively with the Oilers, especially with that D behind him. Does Mckinnon play center full time now..or still some wing?

20. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Doesn’t Klefbom fit that description?

zatch,

I disagree, still too many unknowns with our man Darnell given the injury last year. Dmen need time and I think 135 games of pro hockey is way too early to proclaim “peak value.”

Oddspell,

Finding the love for MacKinnon a little odd. I like the player but whenever I watch him i see a lot of Yakupov style bees to his game. Considering he’s putting up Nuge level offense Nurse plus a 1st seems incredibly rich to me.

21. jtblack says:

I can’t see Parakyo being available? Obviously anyone can be traded, but Excellent young D men rarely get moved …

To me Drai has done everything this organization has asked. He has earned his dough, whether it’s $7 mil per or $8.25 per …

To me if RNH is your 2nd line center, you can’t win a cup … So by moving out Drai, you just have to replace him and move out other assets …

The Oilers have hit the jackpot with McD and Drai as their top 2 Centres. Drai has also shown the unique ability to flourish with Connor (Hall didn’t, Ebs didn’t) … I think his Value to this team is very high and he deserves his payday ..

If you look at the Pens and Hawks and most teams for that matter; they pay their big boys very well and plug in the rest of the roster .. I think the Oilers will do the same ….

The fact we have Larsson, Klefbom and Talbot locked up for a few more years at $4 Mil cap hits allows us to pay Leon and Connor and plug the rest in …

22. Thinker says:

If you could get a Parayko or Eckblad for Draisaitl, I would do it in a second. Our Defence would be unreal. I doubt that works though, since Hall only got us a relatively underated dman. Running nuge in a second line role should be fine as long as you pick up a decent 3C.

23. Ducey says:

Sakic is unable or unwilling to get a Duchene trade done, is in danger of losing Zadorov to the KHL, and did lose Grigerenko for nothing. COL has 3 NHL defensemen under contract – a year after they got crushed in goals against. His big moves have been to sign Bernier and Yak, and to trade for Colin Wilson.

Attendance is dropping so they can’t do the rebuild, but they don’t have the pieces to compete.

That organization is broken. Sometimes you can take advantage of that, but Sakic seems to be hiding in a basement somewhere hoping someone will pay a fortune for Duchene and everything will blow over.

The odds of Sakic pulling the trigger on a MacKinnon trade are zero. He is their 1st overall, generational player. Trading him for Nurse and a first would take some major balls, and likely be the last straw, and get him fired.

24. jtblack says:

Ducey,

“but they don’t have the pieces to compete.” – I think we are going to seem some terrible teams this year. COL, VAN, DET, NJ … I think there will be opportunities for PC to add quality pieces by Christmas, and leading up to the deadline .. And I think this year he will move assets to obtain quality and depth pieces and go for a run at the Cup ..

25. leadfarmer says:

Ducey: Sakic is unable or unwilling to get a Duchene trade done, is in danger of losing Zadorov to the KHL,and did lose Grigerenko for nothing. COL has 3 NHL defensemen under contract – a year after they got crushed in goals against. His big moves have been to sign Bernier and Yak, and to trade for Colin Wilson.

That organization is broken.Sometimes you can take advantage of that, but Sakic seems to be hiding in a basement somewhere hoping someone will pay a fortune for Duchene and everything will blow over.

MacKinnon. Generational player?? I think not. Good first line player maybe but generational forwards put up generational forward numbers sometime in their first four years

26. leadfarmer says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!:

Doesn’t Klefbom fit that description?

zatch,

Oddspell,

Klefbom can only play one side at a time

27. dustrock says:

I think Parayko is one of the very few players in the league I would consider trading for Drai.

Not a slam dunk, drive him to the airport deal, but for a “hockey trade”, it’s not bad.

He’s the young RHD we need and who won’t cost as much as Drai, which is an important factor.

You then have Parayko-Larsson-Benning as your RHD and that’s pretty outstanding.

You can look at moving Nurse or Benning and they should be able to get you an attractive forward, even if not Draisaitl calibre.

28. Ducey says:

leadfarmer: MacKinnon.Generational player??I think not.Good first line player maybe but generational forwards put up generational forward numbers sometime in their first four years

Oh, I am not saying he is generational. But when he was drafted, by Sakic, this was the hype around him. Cole Harbour, next Crosby, etc.

29. dannyboy says:

Its curious that many people dont value nuge as a second line centrr because his offense has taken a hit. However do we value his tough minutes role? Someones going to have to play those minutes of we trade him. Strome? Draisatl? Nuge was not signed as a 2 way center. He was signed a point producer and then has been put into the 2 way role as things have moved forward. Certainly not the players fault. Kudos to my nuge for doing a good job. Move him to the wing already. He will be more offensive with less defensive responsibility and should still be a defensive force out there. If we trade nuge and put leon as 2c i wonder if his offense dries up. Would we turn on him? Also. Its only a matter of time before connor take the toughs. He probably already does on the road.

This is the season where leon must distinguish himself as a star player on his own. Two year bitge deal and no mcdavid time this season. See how his numbers are. If he. Lows the roof off then sign him long term. But t i wouldnt be surprised to see him level off. Would love to be wrong tho.

Also i would do the parayko deal in a flash. D>F. With poolparty and yamamoto coming we could maintain good offense. Our d would be loaded for the next while and i feel that our offense isnt that. Ad. Just snake bitten latey.

Mybe jokinen will center a toughs line. Who knows. Ok im done i ranting. Yall are mich smarter than i.

I need a refill

I have no analytics to back this up. Havent checked the numbers. Only coffee and baileys fueled these thoughts. Be well friends.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Did Drai “flourish with Connor” to a greater extent than with Eberle? I think, via goal share, yes, but as far as pure offence, didn’t the line have a higher ESP/60 with Eberle than Drai when you control for LW?

Don’t get me wrong, Leon and Connor sure looked good together, however, from what I’ve read, the pure ES offensive numbers don’t back this up.

Lets not forget, Drai was elite on the PP this year (with Connor), however, at 5X5 he was just very good, not elite.

Amazing value he gave us on his ELC though.

31. BONE207 says:

What Chiarelli has been able to do is bring in promising prospects. For goal-tending, 4 young guys who may step forward and be our Matt Murray. All the young college players and AHL prospects who also have some upside. Other teams have brought in young guys who are surprises. Why can’t we have some nice things now? Procuring the next young talent is the future of championship teams going forward.

32. Oilin4 says:

I love this discussion on Drai for Parayko. I like the trade for both teams, but obviously EDM takes a hit at F. Tough call. I’ll add my two (actually 3) bits.

1. The most reasonable projection for both players makes them pretty equal. Top pairing borderline All-Star D, for a first-line borderline All-Star 1C. The ceiling on Drai (IMO) is a player like Kopitar: Borderline All-star contributor, but not a major pusher. The ceiling on Parayko seems higher. All goes right, he could be a Chris Pronger like player: Big, nasty, great D, solid offence without sacrificing D.

2. Cap matters. If Drai comes back at 8 x 8.5 and Parayko at something like 6 x 7 or 7.5, pull the trigger.

3. Puts us at Klef-Larsson, Sekera-Parayko, Russel/Nurse-Benning, and in a couple years Jones and Bear pushing hard for playing time. Elite D, and tradeable pieces to fill holes up front if needed. D set in such stone can devote every remaining resource to filling out the F group, which will still have McDavid(!), Lucic, RNH, and a number of other helpful pieces. TBH: I’d prefer Klef-Parayko, Sekera-Larsson (shut down pair), Russel-Benning.

Bottom line: It hurts, but it can work. It’s robbing Peter (F) to pay Paul (D), but Paul will be a giant, intimidating, and capable beast. Plus, we still have 97 to drive the O.

33. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

leadfarmer,

Agreed, but in that same vein Connor can only centre one line at a time.

We’ve used a very valuable offensive piece to acquire a dman already. Is it wise to sacrifice yet another without a replacement ready?

A few weeks back when the whistles of Drai were singing a $9-9.5 million tune I was on board for this exact trade, but at $8-8.5 I don’t know. A 22 year old signed through his 30th birthday growing up with another 20 year old signed through his 28th birthday is very enticing. I also can’t help but shrug my shoulders and say Leon has done exactly everything asked of him since his rookie year and he keeps blowing away expectations. I know sometimes we on this blog talk about over-valuing Oiler players, but is it possible with Leon that we are undervaluing this one?

34. JustWatt says:

zatch:
    JustWatt,

I really doubt that as high as Nurse’s value right now might be that you get anyone back that’s even close to Draisaitl, even with a first thrown in. Not my preference.

35. JustWatt says:

36. russ99 says:

I wouldn’t move Leon for Parayko.

How often is there a 21 year old big, big playing center/RW who leads a team getting to two playoff rounds in scoring, is 8th in the NHL in regular season scoring and plays a complete game on both end of the ice?

Those are the guys you keep regardless of cap number.

If we have to, move RNH next summer and Sekera and Russell the summer after that.

37. trencan says:

JustWatt: You, know I might have to eat my words. You’d have to pull off both trades simultaneously but that’s an upgrade for sure and long term to boot. I’d do that.

38. JustWatt says:

trencan: All fans overvalue players of their team, so do I but I dont think Nurse + 1st gives you MacKinnon. Of course we all have different opinion…

Oh I would be very surprised if Sakic did that deal too. But IF he would AND you can get Parayko for Drai then I would. No way that either of those deals happen in reality though.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

The discussed trade would sure lift the overall defense to upper echelon in the NHL, however, given organizational depth at each position, does it make sense?

For the current roster – assume that Reggie is back (because he will be), Russell gets immediately bumped to 3rd pairing and one of Nurse or Benning is out of the lineup – yes, injuries will happen but, given the huge hole this would provide up front, does this make sense? It would be GREAT to have Russell on the 3rd pairing as that is where he would excel, however, at 4X4, that’s a tough pill to swallow.

We also have numerous d-men peculating- we should have much better visibility in to the NHL projections of Paigan, Mantha, Bear, Jones after this season but there is potential there.

There is no real potential at center in our organization (Joey G. Ryan M., JJ).

40. trencan says:

OriginalPouzar:

There is no real potential at center in our organization (Joey G. Ryan M., JJ).

I see bigger problem on LW. Next year we should draft in first round best available left wing. Bensons health is a problem.

dannyboy:

I think it’s the same thing with Kris Russell. Ideally you change roles (Russell third pair, Nuge something less than 42 percent time against elites) but there is also value in losing that battle and giving easier minutes to players who can flourish. That was the shame of the 3line for much of the season imo, Caggiula’s trio couldn’t deliver offense you’d hope. Letestu’s group, too.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

trencan: We have very young C in first team: 97, Drai, RNH, Strome… I dont see this position (1C and 2C) as a problem in long term future.

Take Drai out, as proposed in the trade, and it very well could be a problem.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

I think Nuge has been in the top 60 in points for centers every year of his pro career (except last year where he was 61st and injury riddled years where he was still there in points per game).

Couple this with at least adequate if not very good 2-way play and increasing time versus elites and I’m not sure how a valid argument can be made that he’s not a 2nd line center.

44. Spoils says:

Speaking of free agents… one more signing?

D or F?
    who?

45. SwedishPoster says:

I’d stay away from trading Drai for anything other than a massive return. I know there are concerns surrounding his sh% and him being zoomed by The McDavid and so on but to my eye he’s just scratched the surface of his capabilities. Imo he grew as the season went last season and he’s still exploring what kind of plays he can get away with and which ones he can’t. He had some moments of sublime skill and vision that could elevate his game big time if he could implement them more consistently into his play and trust his ability more. I really hope Chia gets him locked up as long as possible because I think that within two seasons there’s no way we can afford both him and Connor in the lineup. Based on results so far around 7.5M +/- 0.3M seems reasonable but I’m sure his agent argues his upside hard. Hopefully Chia stays off paying for potential because if he can we should have a bargain in Leon soon enough.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Spoils:
    Speaking of free agents… one more signing?

D or F?
    who?

47. OriginalPouzar says:

SwedishPoster:

Fair enough and i don’t disagree with the premises, however, I should note that Parayko is quite the return.

48. Ducey says:

OriginalPouzar: We are at 50 contracts – two when Benson and Wells slide – I can’t see another signing.

I could see one on D or the wing.

Chia likely has a few things pending a Leon signing, and some of these guys like Franson are going to crack and settle for a one year.

I find it really hard to believe that Chia has not talked to agents for Doan, Iginla, Jagr, Franson and even Vanek or Markov.

Spoils:
    Speaking of free agents… one more signing?

D or F?
    who?

I would say a center would be the No. 1 need at this point.

50. russ99 says:

Ducey: I could see one on D or the wing.

I’ve heard Franson has agreed to a camp non-roster invite with the Hawks if he’s not signed before then.

51. Bank Shot says:

I wouldn’t trade Draisaitl for Parayko and I’m not convinced that Leon will be able to replicate last season.

The Oiler have a 21 year old center who just had a huge playoffs. His trade value is through the roof.

Parayko is 24 years old. He’s probably closer to his peak then we think he might be.

If the Oilers are trading Draisaitl I would be aiming higher than Parayko.
    At least Caleb’s brother Seth.
    Doughty if we are dreaming. (Assuming he’s available at all).

52. Scungilli Slushy says:

Drai is an overpay for Parayko at this point. Nuge however seems more level. He’s going anyway, that would be a decent return. Parayko isn’t established enough to demand more, in fact an established young centre with 1ov pedigree is too much for a late bloomer 35 pt D, but given the circumstances I’d do it.

53. J-Bo says:

I’m flabbergasted by the amount of support a Parayko for Drai trade gets here. I like Parayko lots, but Hall for Larrson was a better trade then that would be in my opinion. I just don’t get it at all. Im not sure that long term Parayko would even be our best defensemen and we want to trade a player who appears ready to become an elite centre in the NHL for him? Drai by all appearances has the attitude and fortitude to keep getting better and push McDavid on some nights for who is the best forward on the ice.

54. Jaxon says:

I don’t think NJD has all that much room to sign anyone. They only have 16 contracts and 2 unsigned RFAs who will sign for maybe about $5M. They’re currently at $19.4M cap space, so (minus $5M to sign their RFAs) they have $14.4M to sign 5 players, if they spent $10M on one of those, they’d only have 4.4 to spend on the other 4. It’s possible but it makes things pretty tight. Although $4.85M comes off the books once the season starts for Clowe’s LTIR, so maybe they do have the room.

55. Jaxon says:

I think they pay Draisaitl whatever he wants. They will trade Nuge if they have to. Would you rather have Driasaitl at $8.5M for 8 years or Nugent-Hopkins plus a $2.5M player.

Here is a hypothetical:

Would you rather have an $8.5M Draisaitl plus one of these guys in the $2.9M to $3.75M range: Radko Gudas, Erik Gudnbranson, Boone Jenner or Brendan Gallagher, for $11.4M to $12.25M, OR would you rather have Nugent-Hopkins and a free agent worth about $5.4M to 6.25M (Evander Kane?), plus 4 1st round draft picks.

I’m tired, not sure if this makes sense. Just trying to wrap my head around the implications either way.