WHO ARE YOU?

The 50-man set (save for Leon) we can talk about the jobs available and where the new recruits may land. Jussi Jokinen and Yohann Auvitu should play large roles, but is there anyone else? How many jobs are spoken for?

THE SURE THINGS ENTERING CAMP

• As you can see, 18 of the 23 roster spots (78 percent) have already been decided. This is a solid number and indicates we are getting closer to the ‘balance’ photo and the kind of team that leaves the gate loaded for Stanley.
  • Last year at this time there were 17 sure things (here) and one of the 2016 sure things didn’t make the opening night roster: Nail Yakupov (traded October 7). What does that mean? My sure thing list is not an actual sure thing list.
  • This year’s team should be better on defense, Matt Benning alone covers that equation. The only problem? Andrej Sekera’s injury.
  • Right wing and Left Defense (Sekera) are areas of concern.
  • I have Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as 2C, Leon may be that player instead. If Draisaitl is 2C, imperative that the 3C (Strome in this case) post solid offensive numbers against the soft parade. RNH played over 40 percent of his 5×5 a year ago against elites, and his line was chasing a lot. However, he was offering cover to the third line, and that third line wasn’t cashing. Nuge on a 2line that is getting caved is something to work on and should be improved, but I remain convinced the veteran center playing tougher minutes is the wise course of action.

UNCERTAIN OILERS ENTERING CAMP

• My list of ‘uncertain Oilers’ from a year ago (here) who played opening night include Jesse Puljujarvi, Tyler Pitlick, Anton Slepyshev. Some of that was injury, some of it came from giving a push to a first-round pick.
  • I have Slepyshev on this list, that may be controversial but the organization is going to give Puljujarvi a push again. Slepyshev is a RW who can be sent down, and that means he is a little vulnerable.
  • Jujhar Khaira, Iiro Pakarinen and Ty Rattie may applying for the same job.
  • The Oilers may start with 8D, another reason Slepyshev is vulnerable.
  • Yohann Auvitu and Eric Gryba are both strong candidates for the opening night roster, but there are things in play that could derail them.
  • Nick Ellis is an interesting player.
  • All six defensemen listed here could play in the NHL in 2017-18.

THE DISTANT BELLS

• None of last year’s distant bells made the opening night lineup and I expect we’ll see the same result.
  • Andrej Sekera is an unlisted distant bell, his injury making it impossible for us to even discuss the idea of making it back in time.
  • Tyler Benson will be 20 next fall and if he can put in a healthy season I expect there may be a job opportunity for him. Oilers have two UFA’s on LW this year.

Teemu Hartikainen photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved

FAMOUS ROOKIES OF BAKERSFIELD

BARONS 2010-11

1. C Teemu Hartikainen 66GP, 17-25-42
  2. F Milan Kytnar 78GP, 13-16-29
  3. D Jeff Petry 41GP, 7-17-24
  4. L Phil Cornet 60GP, 7-16-23
  5. C Mark Arcobello 26GP, 11-11-22
  6. C Chris VandeVelde 67GP, 12-4-16
  7. D Colten Teubert 20GP, 2-5-7

Todd Nelson’s first rookie crew did pretty damn well if you ask me—all of them played in the NHL. Jeff Petry (445 NHL games) is a bona fide NHL defenseman, Chris VandeVelde (278), Mark Arcobello (139), Teemu Hartikainen (52) Colten Teubert (24), Phil Cornet (2) and Milan Kytnar (1) all saw playing time in the world’s best league. Petry is among the real success stories for this organization over the last dozen years of drafting. No current Oilers here.

BARONS 2011-12

• L Hunter Tremblay 68GP, 16-15-31
  • R Tyler Pitlick 62GP, 7-16-23
  • C Tanner House 68GP, 8-12-20
  • R Antti Tyrvainen 55GP, 6-13-19
  • L Curtis Hamilton 41GP, 5-6-11
  • D Kirill Tulupov 33GP, 1-7-8
  • R Cameron Abney 14GP, 0-0-0

This group wasn’t as strong as year one, but Tyler Pitlick (58 NHL games) and Curtis Hamilton (1) did see some time. None of these players is currently part of the Oilers organization.

BARONS 2012-13

1. D Justin Schultz 34GP, 18-30-48
  2. L Toni Rajala 46GP, 17-28-45
  3. D Martin Marincin 69GP, 7-23-30
  4. D Taylor Fedun 70GP, 8-19-27
  5. C Anton Lander 47GP, 9-11-20
  6. C Ryan Martindale 41GP, 6-8-14
  7. C CJ Stretch 17GP, 5-3-8
  8. L Kristians Pelss 20GP, 1-7-8
  9. D Brandon Davidson 26GP, 2-3-5

Nelson was back to delivering considerable talent to the Oilers after one down year. Justin Schultz (344 NHL games), Anton Lander (215), Martin Marincin (175), Brandon Davidson (101) and Taylor Fedun (39) have NHL time and all played in the NHL last year. No player from this list is an Oiler now.

BARONS 2013-14

1. R Andrew Miller 52GP, 8-26-34
  2. D Martin Gernat 57GP, 4-17-21
  3. C Austin Fyten 47GP, 7-13-20
  4. D David Musil 61GP, 2-10-12
  5. C Travis Ewanyk 68GP, 7-5-12
  6. D Oscar Klefbom 48GP, 1-9-10
  7. L Kale Kessy 54GP, 2-4-6
  8. G Tyler Bunz 5, 3.63 .901

Oscar Klefbom (189 NHL games) looks like a decade plus defensive option and a big fly in draft and development. Andrew Miller (15), David Musil (4) and Tyler Bunz (1) also appeared in the NHL. Klefbom is the only name still a part of the NHL organization.

BARONS 2014-15

1. C Bogdan Yakimov 57GP, 12-16-28
  2. D Jordan Oesterle 65GP, 8-17-25
  3. L Josh Winquist 46GP, 8-11-19
  4. D Dillon Simpson 71GP, 3-14-17
  5. F Kellen Jones 49GP, 5-10-15
  6. C Connor Jones 41GP, 4-6-10
  7. C Jujhar Khaira 51GP, 4-6-10
  8. L Mitchell Moroz 66GP, 5-4-9
  9. D CJ Ludwig 28GP, 1-4-5
  10. G Laurent Brossoit 53GP, 2.56 .918

The final Barons season. Among the group who have played in the NHL: Jordan Oesterle (25 NHL games), Jujhar Khaira (25), Laurent Brossoit (14), Connor Jones (4), Dillon Simpson (3), Bogdan Yakimov (1). It seems unfair that Connor Jones has played in the NHL and Kellen has not, that is not the way it should go. Khaira, Brossoit, Simpson and Yakimov are still associated with the Oilers.

CONDORS 2015-16

1. LD Joey Laleggia 63, 8-19-27
  2. R Anton Slepyshev 49, 13-8-21
  3. C Marco Roy 42, 8-12-20
  4. C Kyle Platzer 48, 6-11-17
  5. R Greg Chase 19, 1-6-7
  6. L Braden Christoffer 33, 1-4-5
  7. G Eetu Laurikainen 18, 3.42 .907

The first Condors season saw Leon Draisaitl and Darnell Nurse get a cup of coffee before heading to the NHL for the next 15 years. Condors rookies from year one: Anton Slepyshev (52 NHL games) played in the big leagues before the AHL, and Laleggia did receive a paper recall to the show. All but Roy and Laurikainen are with the organization.

CONDORS 2016-17

1. R Jesse Puljujarvi 39, 12-16-28
  2. R Patrick Russell 68, 8-9-17
  3. R Jaedon Descheneau 38, 6-9-15
  4. L Joey Benik 21, 4-1-5
  5. G Nick Ellis 34, 2.69 .918

Jesse Puljujarvi (28 NHL games) will probably be the biggest name to play for the Condors as a rookie for many many years. Nick Ellis is the other rookie I believe will have something to say in the coming years.

ROOKIE CONDORS 2017-18

• LC Joe Gambardella: One year ago, we were talking about Drake Caggiula as an option for the Bakersfield Condors. Caggiula ended up playing the entire year in the NHL. Gambardella doesn’t possess the same skill set, and his path to the NHL is likely more circuitous, but he has a chance beginning this fall.
  • LD Caleb Jones: You’ll notice the list above has several impressive defenders (Jeff Petry, Justin Schultz, Oscar Klefbom) and perhaps we’ll see some good rookie blue this winter. Jones has a nice opportunity to establish himself in the AHL this year.
  • RD Ethan Bear: Similar to Jones, although Bear is RH and may get a power-play push even in year one. Adjusting to the increased speed of the game may be more of a challenge to Bear than Jones, but his coverage (from what I have read) is considered to be better. A fascinating race to the NHL for these two.
  • LD Ziyat Paigin: The Oilers like him and there’s a good chance the big man is the first recall among the new AHL defenders. His issues will be mobility and coverage on the big ice, but Paigin won’t be in Bakersfield a long time if he adjusts quickly in those areas.
  • RD Ryan Mantha: A year older than Bear, I think there’s a chance he gets some power-play time and there is a slight chance he moves ahead of Bear in their rookie pro seasons. It’s very difficult to know what the pecking order will be at this time, we should be ready for any eventuality.
  • G Shane Starrett: As was the case with Nick Ellis a year ago, Edmonton has a young college goalie who could make some noise as a pro. The numbers are strong, the scouting resume reads impressively.

WILL TO POWER

The Colorado Avalanche continue their ‘opposite George’ plan this summer with word that draft pick (and Hobey Baker winner) Will Butcher will be headed to free agency on August 15 instead of signing with the team. Source is Mike Chambers from The Denver Post. Butcher’s NHLE (28.9 points) is a handsome number for a defenseman.

• Hockey’s Future: Butcher is a smart two-way defenseman. He has the ability to play the point on the power play and kill penalties but his talents lie in the offensive zone. While offensive play is his strength he is a responsible defender. For a player of his size and stature he plays a much bigger game. Source

Butcher is a lefty, so the Oilers have the position covered if not the player-type. Butcher is from Wisconsin, that usually means an American NHL team has the edge in procurement. At the very least an interesting name to keep in mind.

RE’S MORNING OR NIGHT?

Do you prefer the RE to run in the morning or at night time? I received a massive spike in visits after 5pm and the Lucic post yesterday. Historically, you prefer the hockey news in morning and the projection post in the evening, but I want to make sure. Please let me know.

54 Responses to "WHO ARE YOU?"

1. Jethro Tull says:

” For a player of his size and stature he plays a much bigger game…..”

Ugh, until i read this caveat, i thought, “why not?” I like my undersized offensive d-men if not proven, then ramping up hugely.

” I received a massive spike in visits after 5pm and the Lucic post yesterday.”

So did Google about the phrase ‘Stubborn Dutchman’.

2. Jethro Tull says:

And for the record, i kind of like the RE’s at night. I can actually sit listening to the song as I read.

3. mr sakich says:

I took a quick look at the top 90 scoring RW last year. The average was 15 goals for the top 3 RW per team. The 4th line RW average 3.5 goals. Anything above that represents a strength, not a weakness.

Can the Oilers count on 45 goals from a trio of RNH, JP, and Kassian? I actually think this is reasonable considering one will be playing with McDavid. Another will be playing with Leon. The third will be playing with Strome and Jokinen against the soft parade.

Getting 4 goals from Sleppy on 4th line LW is also a no-brainer.

4. Oilin4 says:

If a player plays most of the playoffs he has to be a lock for the opening night roster, especially at a position of weakness. LT I think you can write Slepyshev in pen. Free Anton!!!

5. deankb says:

Like the RE at night as well…

6. jake70 says:

I like the news/tidbit/bits and bytes approach in the morning morning post The RE during the evening post. My $0.02

7. dustrock says:

LT I prefer RE at night as well.

8. npanciroli says:

You could almost post anything at 8:30 and 5 and I would come for both regardless LT.

9. Rondo says:

Maybe Todd”s son Tyson McLellan can do some recruiting, he plays for the same team as Will Butcher

10. JamesL says:

News in the morning, REs at night = a reader’s delight, LT.

11. Ivan says:

npanciroli:

12. JustWatt says:

I read everything you write LT, time of day is entirely irrelevant.

13. BONE207 says:

I like the RE at night as well…but not tonight. Eskimos are out east so that means an early game. Start tomorrow.

14. Brantford Boy says:

RE at night please…
    ‘Stubborn Dutchman’… it still burns… I think I read on this blog the best way to clean up from this event is to pour hot coffee on your penis, pretty sure…

Brantford Boy:
    RE at night please…

Haha. Forgot about that.

16. jonrmcleod says:

I’m fairly certain that Slepyshev is all but guaranteed a spot on the roster. He’s been mentioned by name by Chiarelli as someone he’s excited about.

17. Chachi says:

What kind of crap show is the Colorado Avalanche organization if a college d-man who played at the University of Denver isn’t willing to sign with them even though they would present the absolute best opportunity for him to crack an NHL lineup? They are Edmonton Oilers post-Cup run pre-McDavid days of darkness bad… and I like it!

Also, http://www.tsn.ca/flyers-patrick-sidelined-by-facial-infection-1.809352
    Facial infection?

18. unca miltie says:

Parayko signs for 5.5..now I for sure would trade Drai. For him. Some what sarcastic comment. I just cannot see the $7 or $8 million for Drai. At this time.Yes, he had a great year but he does not even have arbitration rights.

19. Scungilli Slushy says:

Chachi:

Also, http://www.tsn.ca/flyers-patrick-sidelined-by-facial-infection-1.809352
    Facial infection?

Picking at zits too much

20. Chachi says:

Scungilli Slushy,

“Stubborn Dutchman” mishap?

21. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT!

– Really, the “roster” is already set for next season already, baring injuries or more trades

– This team is now built so that their is blockage/depth preventing midget-Russians-who-end-up-ineligible-from-making-team, based on 3 games of scrimmage against incomplete other teams.

– Good teams don’t use camp to find guys to fill the roster: it’s already set, planned and agreed by management and coaches. We are one of those good deep teams now.

– Adding to your 18: Sheppy, Jar-Jar, Gryba, Pak: all incumbents. That’s 22

– The only “competition” is whether they want 7D: so Auvitu, vs another F IMO

– By way of example, last year, Grif was pencilled in: he was injured, so they got Russel last-minute

22. Pink Socks says:

Chachi:
    Scungilli Slushy,

“Stubborn Dutchman” mishap?

I believe that’s the Sleeping Stubborn Dutchman

23. jtblack says:

Oscar only had 1 G and 10 Points in his Rookie AHL year. Wow. Interesting how different players progress!

I read both posts, so doesnt matter. My responses are dixtated by Kids & Family …. and British Open 😉

jtblack:
    Oscar only had 1 G and 10 Points in his Rookie AHL year. Wow.Interesting how different players progress!

I read both posts, so doesnt matter.My responses are dixtated by Kids & Family …. and British Open 😉

Grass looks greener this year!

25. Fuge Udvar says:

I would like to see them try the lines:

Nuge-McDavid-Kassian
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
    Maroon-Jokinen-Puljujarvi
    Caggiula-Letestu-Slepyshev

Give McDavid the Crosby treatment. McDavid doesn’t need a high end sniper. He will be the primary shooter anyway. Pittsburgh never found a long term one for Crosby. Kassian has speed, is a hard forechecker and has some touch. More importantly (including his 4 disallowed goals) Kassian was running a 5×5/60 of 2.02. That puts him just shy of Draisaitl’s 2.05 and well above Maroon’s 1.82. And Kassian only played 35 minutes total with McDavid. The only way Nuge has a long term future on this team is as a top 6 winger. If he can take down low responsibilities in the D zone and be the trailing winger on the rush that will free up McDavid and give him more room to wheel.

I think the key to this team is having Draisaitl in the middle. I like Strome on that line more than Slepyshev. The obvious hole in that lineup is the 3C. Caggiula and Strome have not shown the ability to play centre at the NHL level and I like them much more on the wings. Jokinen hasn’t played a lot of centre but he is ok in the dot and it gives Puljujarvi 2 veterans that can shelter him. That leaves a lot speed and grit on the 4th line with Caggiula and Slepyshev for the soft competition and a veteran C.

The down side is you don’t have a line to hard match against other teams top line. The fans would hate it and I don’t think they would do it but I would look at moving out Maroon+ to a cash strapped team for a long term 3C. This is the most value he will ever have. After years of watching them buy high and sell low, it would be nice to see them do the opposite for once.

26. JJS says:

I appreciate that most of our top talent came straight to the NHL over the past 5 years but the lack of AHL graduates still with the team is astounding.

It would be interesting to compare this to other teams.

Seems like an incredible waste to draft and develop (albeit some had/have a limited ceiling) only to see them go to another organization.

The other thing that stands out is how poor our drafting has been outside the first round. Outside of Petry and Schultz, there isn’t much to show from the Barons.

Crazy.

27. Visually better says:

Could anyone give me a legitimate reason why Brandon Davidson was traded? Some of Chia’s moves just make absolutely zero sense to me.

Klefbom Larsson
    Davidson Russel
    Nurse Benning

Looks a whole lot better than whatever we are gonna have. We had somewhat defensive depth for the first time in a long time and we cast it away for a guy we could have gotten for magic beans.

Also LT: in case you were curious, sounds like josh winquist is looking at options overseas.

Another tidbit I have heard: ex NHL players or quality players outside the NHL are being offered around 500k to go play in China. Will be interesting to follow

28. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide

Your Podcasts are great. Better when you are working than on Vacation. When Eric is not working they are commercial free, like every other podcast in the world and easier to listen to. When he is working, oh well.

Visually: I thought I read Winquist had signed with the Marlies.

30. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Visually better,

Visually better:
    Could anyone give me a legitimate reason why Brandon Davidson was traded?

Here’s 4 legitimate reasons:

1) he wasn’t going to be protected (he wasn’t protected by MTL)

2) Test-driving a C made sense, and trading a 25 year old who didn’t crack our line-up (and didn’t play much in Montreal), for a F who was a regular for season and playoffs

3) unprotected D are a dime a dozen, and Davidson = Auvitu = Stanton etc

4) He told the team he wanted to move on as the team told him he wasn’t part of the top-6 D (speculation but a legitimate reason)

– There are at least 2 guys per team with Davidson-profile.

31. Professor Q says:

I am me, of course.

32. Visually better says:

Visually: I thought I read Winquist had signed with the Marlies.

Hahah we went golfing last week and he had said he was in talks with the marlies, but was interested in going overseas. Edit: he definitely signed with the Marlies!

jonrmcleod:

If I’m Iiro, Ty, or Mitch, I invest in some duct tape and paste the name Lander over Slepyshev on all of Anton’s jerseys.

34. jake70 says:

JJS:

Frustrating for sure.

If you were a fan or followed the Expos from the early 90s (maybe even earlier) you become immune to this. Expos, baseball’s best farm team for years. Only constant was Youpi and Dave Van Horne.. even he left before the team left for DC).

35. Jethro Tull says:

RIP Chester Bennington.

36. vinotintazo says:

Jethro Tull:
    RIP Chester Bennington.

In shock right now.

37. Jethro Tull says:

vinotintazo: In shock right now.

Today, Chris Cornell would have been 53yo.

Chris Howard
    (@Chrishowrad)
    Chester Bennington commits suicide on Chris Cornell’s birthday. Chester sang at Cornell’s funeral. Damn man. Terribly sad.
    34 mins ago · Twitter

Awful news. We all have depression. All of us. I am not your Dad, but I care about you. Please, please, please reach out.

If you’re in distress, call 780-482-HELP (4357). If you’re outside of the greater Edmonton region, call our Rural Distress Line at 1-800-232-7288.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

I read everything posted by Lowetide (I actually get stressed out if I’m too busy to keep up with each post and the comments, I don’t want to miss something).

In that regard, it doesn’t matter to me what is posted when – its just so calming knowing there will be a new post by 8:30 and 5:30 every day.

Very much appreciate this site, its creator, the content and the commentators.

40. Professor Q says:

Jethro Tull,

And he left Stone Temple Pilots a month before Weiland passed, and I don’t think he took that that well either.

A lot of heartbreak and issues built up on that poor man.

I wish all who might experience things reach out to those they trust can help them.

41. Jethro Tull says:

Professor Q:
    Jethro Tull,

A lot of heartbreak and issues built up on that poor man.

I’ll always remember him from this episode, where he truly showed how much talent he had.

42. pocession charge says:

Good post LT.

Not sure if I’d go so far as to say we all have depression. Some of us are lucky and are not affected by it. But it is a serious matter for those who suffer from it. Thankfully, our society is not viewing as a ‘weakness’ anymore.

Sad day for the music world. Such gravelly power voice from a little guy. He had a unique sound and will be missed. RIP Chester Bennington.

43. Bank Shot says:

I would say Slepyshev and Gryba are sure things to start the season with the Oilers if the season started next week.

Perhaps Chiarelli will make another signing or two though. I hope he does. The Oilers are still a real young team and could use another couple of vets on one year deals.

Iginla and some kind of defenceman, come on down!

44. Thorin says:

Man, I typed up a big post and included an image via the img html tag. The image didn’t come through, so I edited it to change the formatting of the img tag. Then I was told that was detected as a spam post. Not knowing what to do, I clicked Close, and then saw my post went away. So I tried posting again, and it didn’t even save!

And now trying to post it again, I’m told the post already exists. Is there a way to tell when posts are in moderation?

45. dannyboy says:

This is off topic but i read an article about extending some players now who are a set to exprore at the end of the season. peter ddi that with klefbom. Might be wise. Darnell at 6 years 2.5-3 per. I expect him to have a big year this season. Keep up the great work LT

46. krakman says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

1) That he was not protected is not a valid reason because you could only lose one player so either Davidson or Reinhart would still be on the team

2) There was almost no chance Desharnais would be resigned, it was a pure rental no test drive

3) I would say Davidson is more proven than Auvitu

4) Now your just making stuff up to fit your preconceived ideas

47. Visually better says:

krakman:
    Kinger_Oil.redux,

3) I would say Davidson is more proven than Auvitu

4) Now your just making stuff up to fit your preconceived ideas

Haha I was busy doing other stuff but this would have basically basically been my exact same response. Also I believe for a rental on desharnais who was a free agent after the season and was basically a healthy scratch for much of last season would have/should have cost maaaaybe a 4th or 5th round pick

48. OriginalPouzar says:

Bank Shot:

Iginla and some kind of defenceman, come on down!

I would agree almost for sure on Grybs – I can’t fathom this man being assigned.

For the most part I also agree on Slepy but, given waivers exempt, I could see him potentially getting assigned – highly unlikely though.

I also don’t see JP as a sure thing – I’d be shocked if he got assigned but he did finish last year as a minor league player.

I wouldn’t sign Iggy at this point – that would simply block a kid. I’d sign him to a PTO and think about an NHL contract if he shows he has legs and JP is not testing well.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

dannyboy:

I also read that – I think it was Staples.

100% I’d sign Darnell to that contract – small risk but he’d have to all but bust to not live up to that.

No way Darnell signs that – I’m sure he’s more confidant in his abilities than to lock himself in to that salary.

50. who says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Visually better,

Here’s 4 legitimate reasons:

1) he wasn’t going to be protected (he wasn’t protected by MTL)

3) unprotected D are a dime a dozen, and Davidson = Auvitu = Stanton etc

– There are at least 2 guys per team with Davidson-profile.

1) Would have left the Oilers with either Davidson or Reinhart so would have been a net plus to have him.
    2)No need to test drive DD. We all knew what he was and I suspect Chia did too.
    3)Only applies if you think he is no better than who he was replaced with.
    4)You have no way of knowing this but it’s possible.

Thorin:
    Man, I typed up a big post and included an image via the img html tag.The image didn’t come through, so I edited it to change the formatting of the img tag.Then I was told that was detected as a spam post.Not knowing what to do, I clicked Close, and then saw my post went away.So I tried posting again, and it didn’t even save!

And now trying to post it again, I’m told the post already exists.Is there a way to tell when posts are in moderation?

There are no posts in moderation.

52. Thinker says:

LT,
    Whatever you do article wise, I want the opposite.

53. Thorin says:

Lowetide: There are no posts in moderation.

I had the text saved in Notepad, so I just tried posting the exact text again. After clicking Post Comment, I got the message “Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!”

Is there an automatic spam filter that might be catching it?

54. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

krakman,

– Your confusing legitimate reasons with your subjective opinions.

– All 4 were legitimate reasons to trade Davidson, whether you agree with them or not