RE 2017-18 BOB GREEN: BAKER STREET

Bob Green and his staff have a very important job over the next several years. The team is going to be trading picks and prospects for the next several deadlines in an effort to find Stanley. Green’s job is to turn picks into players, to recover from the loss of traded picks and to create a pool of value in the AHL and amateur ranks. It’s a helluva job. (Baker Street).

BOB GREEN DRAFT LIST

2015

• Round 1, No. 1 overall: C Connor McDavid (127 NHL games)
  • Round 4, No. 117 overall: LD Caleb Jones.
  • Round 5, No. 124 overall: RD Ethan Bear.
  • Round 6, No. 154 overall: RD John Marino.
  • Round 7, No. 208 overall: G Miroslav Svoboda.
  • Round 7, No. 209 overall: LD Ziyat Paigin.

2016

• Round 1, No. 4 overall: R Jesse Puljujarvi (28 NHL games)
  • Round 2, No. 32 overall: L Tyler Benson.
  • Round 3, No. 63 overall: LD Markus Niemelainen.
  • Round 3, No. 84 overall: LD Matthew Cairns.
  • Round 4, No. 91 overall: RD Filip Berglund.
  • Round 5, No. 123 overall: G Dylan Wells.
  • Round 5, No. 149 overall: L Graham McPhee.
  • Round 6, No. 153 overall: RC Aapeli Rasanen.
  • Round 7, No. 183 overall: RD Vincent DeSharnais.

2017

• Round 1, No. 22 overall: R Kailer Yamamoto.
  • Round 3, No. 78 overall: G Stuart Skinner.
  • Round 3, No. 84 overall: LD Dmitri Samorukov.
  • Round 4, No. 115 overall: L Ostap Safin.
  • Round 5, No. 146 overall: R Kirill Maksimov.
  • Round 6, No. 177 overall: LC Skyler Brind’Amour.
  • Round 7, No. 208 overall: RD Phillip Kemp.

BOB GREEN PICKS BY POSITION

1. Where is Green spending the gold? Forwards. All three of his first-round picks are forwards and his only second rounder is also a forward (Benson).
  2. What about after that? Heavy on defense and goaltending. Of the 18 picks in Rounds 3-7, 13 were either defenders or goaltenders.
  3. Building up the middle? I think McDavid-Draisaitl takes care of center, but yes. Trying to hit a home run in later rounds on a goalie and some defenders.
  4. How many have played in the NHL? Two, McDavid and Puljujarvi.
  5. How many more have played a year or more of pro? Ziyat Paigin (KHL), Filip Berglund (SHL), Ostap Safin (Czech).
  6. How many will turn pro this fall? Several. Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear, Markus Niemelainen.
  7. Can we identify players more likely to succeed? Draft number means a lot, and the odds do inform. For instance, it is basically impossible for all of Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear and Ziyat Paigin to become productive NHL regulars. It is far more likely that only one of three will play in the NHL to 100 or more games—and all of them could fail. That is what draft history suggests.
  8. Does the strength of the 2015 draft impact the odds? Great question and intuitively my answer is yes. I don’t know how to measure it, though.
  9. Who is the best prospect taken outside the first round? My vote goes to Ethan Bear, but for me Caleb Jones and Tyler Benson are also in photo. Dylan Wells is a player who has improved his stock markedly since draft day. We need more samples.
  10. How concerned are you about Benson? Very. He is an important prospect for this organization, has a range of ability and can play with high skill.
  11. Any sign of analytics in this draft? There are moneypuck bets in my opinion. The defensemen carry more offense than the Hesketh-Musil years, even the players who have a lot of value caught up in the defensive side of the game.
  12. And forwards? Benson was a breakthrough of sorts, because he has a fine offensive resume. Edmonton had a fairly long history of drafting players in the second round who weren’t going to bring enough offense to make the NHL in any real way. Benson breaks the string.
  13. So, name a Money Puck bet. Hmm. Kailer Yamamoto is a strong money puck bet, because the math would call him a top 10 selection.
  14. Oilers could have had that player in 2016, if they had drafted Alex DeBrincat in the second round. They seemed to have rectified the oversight, Yamamoto seems a pretty good comp for DeBrincat. You won’t hear people saying that, but for me that’s a pretty solid work around. I liked the Benson selection though, that may be part of it.
  15. Anything that should be worrisome? Not really, some of the 2016 picks flagged and that’s a bit of a worry, but miles to go.
  16. Who? Markus Niemelainen had an unusual season and Matt Cairns couldn’t get into a USHL lineup. The BCHL time would represent more playing time in a lesser league, that can’t be a good sign. Early days, but a down arrow.
  17. Name the down arrows. None from the 2015 draft, that looks like a dandy. The 2016 draft has Benson as an injury worry, Niemelainen/Cairns we’ve discussed, that’s about it. The 2015 draft has shown impressive sustain, that’s probably Green’s best arrow.
  18. How many of the 22 draft picks are going to have actual NHL careers? We should take the lottery picks out because McDavid’s already gone and Puljujarvi is a fantastically good bet.
  19. Okay, of the 20 players not named McDulujarvi, how many play 400 games in the NHL? I will bet Yamamoto makes it, after that all bets are off. Benson, the second rounder, has a growing injury history. Jones, Bear, others, are lower picks and expecting 400 games from any of them is a stretch. You hope they get there but it’s not something we can see from here.
  20. Your take year by year? The 2015 draft is trending well, you could get three legit players from that draft (say, McDavid, Jones, Bear). The 2016 edition may only bring Puljujarvi and the 2017 edition is too soon to call but I generally like the increased skill across the board. Even the defensive defensemen have a two-way bent. The Oilers aren’t drafting goalies too early (in my opinion) and took the third best NHLE in the draft at No. 22 overall (Pettersson, Suzuki). These are all good signs.
  21. Is skill the theme of Green drafts? Well, the Oilers are drafting mainly big men and have grabbed a mittful of defensemen (10 D, 9F, 3G). But your point is well taken, the last four drafts, including 2014, have given Edmonton a stunning group of skill forwards in the first round. I expect that will be the legacy no matter what else happens. Important for some of these depth picks to cash, though.
  22. Okay, it’s five years from now and you’re reading this. What is the thing you’re most relieved about? That I didn’t hang a nickname like ‘Magnificent Bastard’ on Bob Green.
  23. What was the best Stu MacGregor draft? The 2011 edition produced Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Oscar Klebfom and Tobias Rieder. I’ll go with that one.
  24. Five years from now, you’re reading and what are you most pleased about? As a fan I cheer for all of these players, that’s part of being a fan. Reasonable expectations are probably four or maybe five men who will emerge with 100+ NHL games and I will hope that I got the names right.
  25. Why this song? I love the draft. There’s an anticipation for each one and they are all different. Great enjoyment for me. Another passion of mine is music, and hearing a new song on the transistor radio as a kid was one of my greatest joys. This song, originally by Gerry Rafferty, sprang out of the radio in 1978 and has lived with me since. I can maim the sax intro, destroy the chorus and sing the wrong words all the way through. Pure joy, this song, and it reminds me about why music is so important. I can still see (in my mind’s eye) the Anik radio that played this song for me the first time 40 years ago. It is embedded alongside the 1973 draft, the one where I wondered why Sam Pollock drafted a shy offensive winger named Bob Gainey No. 8 overall. I can’t tell you why it matters, only that it does. Both Rafferty and Pollock are gone now, and when I get to heaven I’ll say hi to Rafferty.

39 Responses to "RE 2017-18 BOB GREEN: BAKER STREET"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

That 2015 draft looks fantastic at this point. Even Svoboda (well, if we knew anything about the Czech league he plays in) – do we still have his rights given he’s unsigned?

2. Ducey says:

Speaking of the 2015 draft. What’s up with Svoboda? He was lost as being unsigned but then was at prospect’s camp?

3. Ducey says:

Dammit Pouzar.

The only two people (besides his mom) on earth that are worried about Svoboda.

Haha. Svoboda is slated to play in the Czech major league for HC Plzen.

Somebody has to be a troublemaker…mode ON.

No mention of Bob Green whispering “Griffin Reinhart” into Petey’s ear for two picks in the 2015 draft.

Disclaimer: I blame the limitations of the coach (his good opinion once lost is lost forever) for the Reinhart fiasco more than I blame Chiarelli and Green. I probably wouldn’t have made that trade. I understand why they did it.

6. thehop says:

LT,

Are you good?

I’ve sensed a cloud… call it a darkness… in the last couple posts. Nuanced to be sure but there nonetheless. Melancholy in the last post… when I go to heaven in this one… earlier this week there was talk of suicide by someone.

Maybe I’m grasping but I am very fond of you and your work so I thought I’d ask.

7. Scungilli Slushy says:

I like the change in drafting player types that they want, with a bias to offense. Too many picks were wasted on players who had no NHL chance with the Oilers because too small or too slow or as said no hope of scoring, and the Oilers up until recently punished prospects for not immediately becoming prolific scorers, visions of Coffey and Kurri dancing in their heads.

What makes non generational prospects become good players? Most players don’t score at top levels over time; they have seasons of it but not always.

What made Pronger so good?

It’s two way play. Becoming a player that stops the opponent from scoring and can also contribute to scoring in the heart of the game.

There are only a handful of D that can play well in their own end and also score a lot of points. The rest of the good move the play forward and make it very hard for the opponent by disrupting their attack with intelligent play.

This is Larsson. Vlasic, Keith, Doughty. Nurse has the physical skills to be a dominant player in his career. The points will come if he plays smart, maybe not high points but I think that is not as important as out scoring, very few pro teams in any sport win without strength defensive play.

I what we need to see is his mental game develop. To me it’s like I posted about Nuge – show up fit, play your heart out and forget about everything (pressure, draft position) and play to be dominant as you were when drafted and let the chips fall where they may.

8. Side says:

godot10:

Disclaimer: I blame … the coach

What a surprise

9. Philosophil says:

Ahh Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty original. The older i get, the less re-makes win me over, likely a product of age, stubbornness, and routine. Of the few that resonate, Born to be Wild by the Cult (Steppenwolf original, of course). is up there on a personal level. There are always those that rise up on artistic merit and artist persona, such as Johnny Cash covering Hurt, by NIN/Trent Resnor, but by and large many just feel like this generations of musicians have given up trying to be original, and simply want to re-capture the feel or vibe of past perfection.
    The worst is educating my teenagers about new songs that are old, and the ensuing carnage surrounding generational values and the inability to understand the past. It’s likely a natural process, maybe i did this to my parents music (hell, even Rolling Stones to Streeheart with Under my Thumb was a point of contention) but being on the other side i understand the need to create the legacy through music.
    Thanks LT for teaching old dogs new tricks with this FF cover, i would have never have kept an open mind and listened, even if it’s relevant to Bob Green, and not the last great music festival or significant world event.

10. Thinker says:

I read stuff on TMac here diagnosing line matches and player usage, and think he’s an idiot, but then I watch him speak. He seems to have a very good gradp on what’s going on.

thehop:
    LT,

Are you good?

Lol, no I am fine for sure. Things are good my friend and I appreciate the concern. If Woodguy could remember handedness the world would be pretty close to perfect! 🙂

12. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

You don’t need to hang a moniker like MBS on Bob because he will always wear that Reinhart trade around his neck.

Now before you defenders go ape shit on me, hear me out.

When I had labels put on me: finance guy playing at photography etc. It didn’t bother me, I just went out and works harder.

Bob probably doesn’t give a shit that half the fan base blames him for the Reinhart fiasco.

In the end Chia signed off on that deal and so the buck should stop with Chia. Bob may have lost some credibility with Chia there and that may have led to Keith Gretzky coming in. But who knows. That might have been in the works regardless.

If Bob can keep the scouting of young talent moving in the right direction then the interviews in the future will be asking him about the lessons learned in that situation that made him better at what he does now.

What would be nice would be to find a Parayko type in our own backyard. I know that’s asking for a lot and maybe Jones or Bear will eventually qualify. But one of those would go a long way to elevating Bob to legend status around these parts.

13. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Lowetide: Lol, no I am fine for sure. Things are good my friend and I appreciate the concern. If Woodguy could remember handedness the world would be pretty close to perfect!

We all know it’s his phone’s fault.

14. Professor Q says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): We all know it’s his phone’s fault.

I suppose it’s not a…Perfect Cell.

15. Woodguy v2.0 says:

What would be nice would be to find a Parayko type in our own backyard.

The worst part about Parayko is that Gord Thibodeau (was HC and GM of the Oil Barons at the time) called people he knew in the Oilers org to come and scout Parayko.

They didn’t, or if they did, they weren’t impressed.

Nor did anyone because he wasn’t taken in 2011, which was his first draft eligible year.

He wasn’t the size he is now and 42 points in 53 games wasn’t eye popping for anyone for a AJHL Dman.

He was drafted as his first year of NCAA after his growth spurt.

Bob has Thibodeau on his show fairly regularly and they talked about his one time.

Imagine EDM taking a flyer on him late in 2011 instead of Gernat or Tuohimaa?

16. Woodguy v2.0 says:

and that is why we can never achieve perfection.

17. Woodguy v2.0 says:

I’m thrilled with Green’s drafting btw.

He’s drafting failry close to optimal imo.

Take big swings for home runs. Trying for high ceiling players in every round.

Offence, offence, offence.

If you need someone to hit singles they are readily available in FA so drafting someone who’s ceiling is “3C” out of the gate is left for the much later rounds if at all.

The only players he’s taken that don’t have high ceilings are the large Dmen, but he’s not wasting high picks on them so its forgivable and in light of the Parayko discussion, maybe big swings on large men who can skate will turn out to be a good thing.

18. JDî says:

Pouzar:
    Russian Beer with Cool Ranch Doritos covered in melted cheddar cheese.

No…it doesn’t get any better.

Hanging out with Donald Jr these days?

I really like sampling some Euro 500 ml cans, and one of my favorites is a CZE lager called Kozen (I think…).

But in all my travels, I’ve never seen Russian beer.

19. JDî says:

Scungilli Slushy: Pronger said he prided himself on a low hard point shot that hit the net. Not to score himself but create a high quality chance in the paint.

20. Ryan says:

godot10:
    Somebody has to be a troublemaker…mode ON.

Disclaimer: I blame the limitations of the coach (his good opinion once lost is lost forever) for the Reinhart fiasco more than I blame Chiarelli and Green.I probably wouldn’t have made that trade.I understand why they did it.

Who was the jerk who made this comment at the time of the trade?

“That doesn’t mean that this was a particularly savvy trade either.
    The Oilers traded for a 4 OV from a weak draft year whom no one can describe as anything but a declining asset with potential as a left shot top four stay at home defensemen (best case), 5/6 d (most likely), or Tuebert (worst case).
    For 16/33 picks in one of the strongest drafts in years…
    The traded hard currency for a player they didn’t particularly need and paid a high price.
    I think that this trade has smartest man in the room written all over it while history itself will be the judge.”

21. JDî says:

Woodguy v2.0: and that is why we can never achieve perfection.

He can also recall a lot of goals from games way way back into the 80s, and practically any goal from any game he’s played in.

He was also a very gifted player and skater, and could do impressions of famous players and their style. His Glenn Anderson was spot on perfect. He could also do a wicked Lafleur, a wonderful Messier, and his Gretzky was to die for.

It was a privilege to skate with him.

22. Scungilli Slushy says:

JDî: Watched him play live a couple of times, and of course he had the full meal deal when it came to playing defense, but I was constantly amazed with his stickwork. Not the cross checks, slashes, trips and butt-ends, but the ease with which he could bat down a pass or deflect shots. Combined with good mobility and the wingspan of a condor, that was something to behold.

This is my point. People look at Karlsson as what a D should be. I see terrible D zone coverage that he can outscore. I also see a team not contending despite his play. He is not Bobby Orr.

There are few elite D. Few elite anything. If a player can stop opponents and add points they are dominant. We saw Larsson become this, as his draft card read. He is a couple of years away from his peak.

Pronger was dominant because he owned his end of the ice. And he could help at the other. Nurse has this potential, but as Woodguy says it should already be showing if it’s top pair quality.

Benning is more likely at this point. As long as Nurse gets paid what a #5 is worth, no prob.

23. Scungilli Slushy says:

JDî: Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but a friend of mine can recall not just the handedness of most NHL players he’s seen play, but also his skating/playing style, stature, and number.

It was a privilege to skate with him.

If your going to put this out there, what does it mean? Just bragging?

24. treevojo says:

FER FUCK SAKES!

I let you know I can only post at night these days and you bring on the Nurse convo during the day thread.

It was probably for the best.

Pretty reasonable by most but I have to say none of the biggest Nurse backers “which I consider myself ” ever talk of him becoming this elusive #1 defender.

I have always thought of him as a #2 and have seen nothing to deter me from that to date.

25. JDî says:

Scungilli Slushy: Just bragging?

Yep. I know someone who is special at a select thing.

I feel so superior.

And it fits my MO as a braggart and liar. You got me.

26. Bag of Pucks says:

Originals for the players and covers for coaches and management. Clever.

JP, are we getting the ‘Best of You’ this season? Let’s hope so. If not, LT might put you on the ‘Long Road to Ruin.’

27. treevojo says:

JDî: Yep. I know someone who is special at a select thing.

I feel so superior.

And it fits my MO as a braggart and liar. You got me.

I chalked it up as just an interesting bit of info and was waiting for a short video.

But now I know your just and asshole who is full of himself.

I wish I could remember what designates sarcasm in quote cause I would use it just in case.

28. Scungilli Slushy says:

JDî: Yep. I know someone who is special at a select thing.

I feel so superior.

And it fits my MO as a braggart and liar. You got me.

Why you heff to be med? I certainly did not mention lying.

You are hinting at something, so tell us!

If you won’t, keep it to yourself, or it comes across as bragging about being close to an NHL persona who the the rest of us plebes can only dream. Do you see?

29. dustrock says:

There were a couple of games in the playoffs where I thought Larsson actually entered another zone. As exciting as Klefbom is, I never stressed when Larsson was on.

LT in terms of all-time rock riffs this has to be up there, no? As much as I loved the first FF album as their best, post-Nirvana, all-time great, it was their legit, loving covers of songs like Baker Street that catapulted them into another hemisphere for me.

30. jm363561 says:

“Bob Green and his staff have a very important job over the next several years. The team is going to be trading picks and prospects for the next several deadlines in an effort to find Stanley.”

Excellent post LT. A great summary of the status of our prospects and recent drafting history. I have said it before and will … Yawn … say it again. Searching for value contracts via trade and free agency – JJ, Maroon, Kassian, Letestu, Gryba, Pak – and identifying college kids – Benning, Caggs – is just as important as through the draft, if not more so.

31. JDî says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I ‘hinted’ at nothing. Go back and read again.

My ‘friend’ is a former NCAA player. I mentioned nothing about the NHL.

He is a very gifted, yet flawed person, who has somehow put up with me for 30 years or so.

I mentioned it in contrast to the WG meme of not being able to keep track of handedness. If you feel threatened by this, I suggest that you look in a mirror, although perhaps not for too long.

@treevo. Get bent.

32. stush18 says:

dustrock:

LT in terms of all-time rock riffs this has to be up there, no?As much as I loved the first FF album as their best, post-Nirvana, all-time great, it was their legit, loving covers of songs like Baker Street that catapulted them into another hemisphere for me.

Adam Larsson is an absolute rock. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Honestly I’m pretty sure he would put up significant points if they gave him a chance on the power play. I think his passing ability and offense is being severely underrated.

33. stush18 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    I’m thrilled with Green’s drafting btw.

He’s drafting failry close to optimal imo.

Take big swings for home runs.Trying for high ceiling players in every round.

Offence, offence, offence.

The only players he’s taken that don’t have high ceilings are the large Dmen, but he’s not wasting high picks on them so its forgivable and in light of the Parayko discussion, maybe big swings on largemen who can skate will turn out to be a good thing.

I 100% agree. He’s been absolutely nailing it at the draft.

The fact that Yamamoto, Safin, Maksimo, all seem to possess top six skill is an absolute breath of fresh air.

And the dmen they choose seem to possess decent puck skill (bear, jones, berglund, Marino) or are big bears on skates who can skate well (paigan, samourkov, kemp, neimelainen)

Edmontons prospects are being severely underrated right now by most media outlets. Most rankings have the oilers prospects on the lower end.

Pretty soon people are going to be talking about us like PITT or CHI.

“Where do they keep finding this cheap young talent!”

I can’t wait. I’m very optimistic about these two drafts.

34. GMB3 says:

JDî:
    Scungilli Slushy,

I ‘hinted’ at nothing. Go back and read again.

My ‘friend’ is a former NCAA player. I mentioned nothing about the NHL.

@treevo. Get bent.

I don’t think he meant it to be offensive. Sounded to me like he thought you were talking about being friends with a certain NHLer, and wanted to know who it was.

35. stush18 says:

stush18: I 100% agree. He’s been absolutely nailing it at the draft.

Pretty soon people are going to be talking about us like PITT or CHI.

“Where do they keep finding this cheap young talent!”

I can’t wait. I’m very optimistic about these two drafts.

Not only that, but the oilers are going to need cheap talent to fill out the roster. It’s going to suck, it we are going to filter thru talent in the next ten years.

And the best thing for these young players careers is to hop aboard and play well, so you can get dealt to another team. Lol

36. Thinker says:

stush18: And to piggyback off of this, I would have to disagree with LT that we are not going to see many of these men make it. I know history suggests this, but with vegas expanding roster size, I think we’re going to obviously see and increase in the amount of players who can make it.

Not only that, but the oilers are going to need cheap talent to fill out the roster. It’s going to suck,it we are going to filter thru talent in the next ten years.

37. GMB3 says:

Thinker: I don’t think vegas makes much of a difference. Means the 23 best AHL vets could find a role. Think of it like adding Lander to the team. They won’t all turn out. Expect at 1 of Jones/Bear/Paigin to make it if even one of them does. JP is in a different class and should make it. Expect at least one of Caggiula/ Slepyshev to have a short career. People are high on them, but they come from the Arcobello career curve.

Slepy was considered a first round talent. Not really the Arcobello career curve

38. jp says:

Thinker:

Also, Arcobello needed 3+ seasons of ECHL/AHL time before seeing the NHL with any regularity (at age 25). Caggiula and Slepy are both well ahead of that curve.