TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 2: TY RATTIE

The Ty Rattie signing in free agency came far earlier than expected but is a good small bet. The Oilers have a plethora of young wingers vying for playing time and Rattie has a chance to work his way to the NHL in Edmonton. His one big advantage? He’s a shooter.

• Ty Rattie NHL Career: 35gp, 4-6-10
  • Ty Rattie AHL per 82gp 2013-16: 29-29-58

Some say there are players who can hit in the majors but not the minors, I’ve never bought that idea. For me, Rattie’s NHLE (82gp, 14-13-27) puts him in the range for NHL employment. His best chance (after his drafting team) is probably in the years after expansion, so 2017-18 is a major campaign for him. If Rattie can score in Bakersfield (or Edmonton) a more regular NHL role may open up for him somewhere. His agent did a fine job getting him here, this is a fairly open race on RW.

RE 17-18: 6GP, 1-1-2 (.333)

1. How many training camp hopefuls were there last year? Eight. Dillon Simpson (I predicted four games, he played three), Anton Slepyshev (I predicted one game, he played 41), Joey Laleggia (four games predicted, he played none), Jere Sallinen (two, none), Taylor Beck (10, 5), Tyler Pitlick (10, 31), David Musil(10, 0) and Drake Caggiula (25, 60).
  2. What role will Rattie apply for? Scoring winger. His competition includes Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Strome, Jesse Puljujarvi, Anton Slepyshev, Zack Kassian and Iiro Pakarinen.
  3. Sounds like there is very little chance for him. Rattie can score goals and the Oilers need inexpensive wingers. His chances are no worse than Tyler Pitlick’s this time one year ago. If he does well in training camp, he could force his way onto the roster.
  4. What makes him attractive for this roster? He is a righthanded shooter. He shoots a lot, 617 shots on goal in 215 AHL games (2.87 shots per game). That’s a really nice fit for team need in Edmonton and Bakersfield.
  5. What will his role be in Bakersfield? Scoring winger, Rattie could score 25 next season if he plays the full schedule. He may have some competition from Mitch Callahan and Brian Ferlin, plus Jesse Puljujarvi and Anton Slepyshev have a slight chance of being demoted. Rattie on a skill line in Bakersfield is the most likely outcome.
  6. What one thing will get him to the NHL? His shooting prowess. Rattie will need some luck and maybe an injury, but there is a version of training camp that sees him on the opening night roster.
  7. What will keep him from getting an NHL look? If either or both Puljujarvi and Slepsyhev perform to their abilities, Rattie starts the season in the AHL.
  8. When will we know he has a chance? If the TC stories have youngsters with pedigree faltering and Rattie is filling the net with an NHL center on his line, we have a story.
  9. How many players can he reasonably be expected to pass in one winter? I think he might be able to pass all of the AHL wingers and Iiro Pakarinen, making him the first recall. Rattie has a shot here in my opinion.

19 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 2: TY RATTIE"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

This is kind of what I was thinking while reading this post: “What will keep him from getting an NHL look? If either or both Puljujarvi and Slepsyhev perform to their abilities, Rattie starts the season in the AHL.”.

If Puljujarvi doesn’t have a strong camp, will the organization be willing to send JP down to Cali and keep Rattie?

2. Brantford Boy says:

Honestly, I was pretty excited when we signed Ty, I believe it was the U17 tournament that I thought he looked like a good player and I wanted him to be drafted by the Oilers… I thought the same thing about Larsson too… funny to see all these players come back full circle… I hope he gets a real shot, probably means an injury to the bottom 6 though.

OriginalPouzar:

4. GMB3 says:

Do the NHLe’s change over time LT? Say comparing TJ Oshies NHLe from the USHL would be different than someone playing now since the league has gotten stronger in comparison to other junior leagues?

GMB3:

They do now, Rob Vollman usuallyputs out a new list each year. Back in the day, Gabriel Desjardins published a couple of different ones. I think the USHL has morphed into a different league since Oshie so wouldn’t know what deflator to use.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Puljujarvi is going to get a long look but it he isn’t performing well I don’t think the Oilers will keep him. I think it’s reasonable to expect he’ll win the day though.

They did last year after an uneven training camp.

They did send Leon down in his second year – didn’t last long and he has not looked back since the call-up.

I think the organization is banking on him at least being a full time NHLer this year if not a piece of the secondary scoring – I’m hoping they have the willingness to do the right thing if he shows he’s not quite ready.

7. digger50 says:

I don’t understand letting Pitlick go and then looking for guys like Rattie. Downgrade.

Was there issues resigning Pitlick? Salary issues? Ty passes through waivers. Pitlick doesn’t?

8. Professor Q says:

I hope you don’t mean via trade.

9. treevojo says:

digger50:

Potluck signed a 3 year deal for 1 mil a year in Dallas I believe.

Rattle has a two way deal for 700000 and 225000

10. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50:

I would think that its Pitlick that wanted to move on and I believe he was given a 3 year term which I would guess “termed” himself out of Edmonton.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: I hope you don’t mean via trade.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: I hope you don’t mean via trade.

We were talking about the organization’s willingness to assign him to Bakersfield so, no, I don’t believe he meant via trade.

13. OmJo says:

digger50:

From the organization’s POV, I think health history also played a part. I think the organization would rather use that contract on a Rattie-type player instead.

Edit: Contract, not roster spot

14. digger50 says:

Sounds like thier were other factors. Must be.

Without knowing them I would have said just stick with Pitlick, he finally arrived. And then crashed…again. Can he ever have some good luck in regards to his health?

15. treevojo says:

digger50:
    Sounds like thier were other factors. Must be.

Well we have the next 3 years to find out.

16. jp says:

treevojo: Well we have the next 3 years to find out.

17. treevojo says:

jp: It will be interesting to see how it all turns out (both health-wise, and level of play). He looked great last year, but I don’t really buy his offense (nothing prior to last year suggested more than 4th line scoring). But some guys just “learn” how to score, so maybe he’s one.

I know I will be cheering for him.

I cheer for all ex Oilers.

Although I do find myself hoping Hall doesn’t do anything too great which is sad cause I loved the guy when he was here.

But I enjoy this place just as much as I enjoy cheering for the Oilers and I think Hall going super nova might ruin this place for me.

18. Thinker says:

Pitlick got hot. Who knows what he would have done. Rattie is a year younger, and was significantly better at every level.

19. deankb says:

No doubt!

Watching Nurse go supernova would also be pretty entertaining