FINDING LEIVO

If you’re Peter Chiarelli, and looking for the next Patrick Maroon, where would you go? The Oilers general manager has Maroon and Jussi Jokinen on fantastic value deals but only for this coming season. The portside is about to become very expensive (Milan Lucic has a cap of $6 million, so savings elsewhere are vital), where can he find a value LW?

PROJECTED 2017-18 LINEUP AND CAP

• Chiarelli has the cap situation in a very good spot, maddeningly so when you think about it. If Leon comes in at $7.5 million, PC can include Sekera’s full salary plus a reasonable bonus cap and still have $5.6 million left. Oilers could add a substantial talent by opening night and have lots of deadline room. It’s also possible PC is being insanely careful about those bonuses but that would be a shame.
  • Where should he spend that money? Current pressures might be left defense, goaltending, right wing. Long term pressures? I see some trouble on LW after this season,  the two veteran value deals are coming off the books.
  • Some of the replacements could come from within, if (say) Tyler Benson flourishes in his final junior season or Drake Caggiula has a strong sophomore campaign some of that LW pressure will be diffused.

50-MAN

• This time next season, we should be talking about Nick Ellis, Caleb Jones, Ziyat Paigin , Ethan Bear, Tyler Benson, Joe Gambardella and Kailer Yamamoto as NHL options. That’s an attractive and lengthy list of prospects, some of them may play in the NHL this year.
  • Ideally someone like Paigin flourishes early in Bakersfield and announces his NHL readiness by winter. The same can be said for Gambardella up front, as the Oilers are going to need players pushing up without having a blue-chip forward prospect in Bakersfield.
  • Joey Laleggia is going to be an interesting player to watch this season. Inexpensive scoring is in vogue any time, but cap pressures and a strong training camp could see Laleggia hang around longer than expected.
  • I have a good feeling about Gambardella and some major curiosity about Brian Ferlin. How good can he be? Don’t know, but a healthy season in Bakersfield will give us a better idea.

FINDING LEIVO

The Toronto Maple Leafs are flat out loaded up front now, and I remain convinced this young man is going to have a career. Listed as a LW (shoots right), the Maple Leafs don’t play him and can’t send him down because of waivers. Toronto is loaded up front and the Houston Astros of my youth taught me to look for solutions in places where possible answers are in abundance.

In 41 NHL games, Leivo is 9-9-18 and last season his 5×5/60 total was 3.12 (seven points in 13 games). He is 24 and his cap hit is $612,500. I used to think Edmonton could grab him on waivers but now a trade seems more likely. Lou is always fair in trade talk, so the 2018 first-round pick should do it (this is meant as a joke). Leivo is a hidden value, except everyone knows about him (or Toronto would have eased him through waivers last winter). Perhaps a prospect of note who can be sent down could successfully pry Leivo from Lou.

TWO SEASONS OF DOUGHTY

I got a text yesterday on SSE that had me thinking for some time about the possibilities. The gentleman (from Medicine Hat) asked if the Oilers would do Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Darnell Nurse for Drew Doughty. I don’t think the Kings do that deal (based on summer moves they aren’t going to re-set) but would the Oilers? I think they have to do the trade, even though it means investing everything in the next two seasons (Doughty’s deal expires 2019 summer).

COMMENTS

I tweaked only one comment yesterday, could have deleted 20. I was working yesterday so the section got away from me. It won’t happen today, so you have been warned. If you were a dink yesterday and continue today, you’ll be seeing a timeout. Respect each other, please and thanks.

THIS WEEK

The RE’s will continue this week, hope you are enjoying them. My friend Dean Belanger has been the man behind the musical choices and it’s nice to see they have been so well received.

TODAY AT 5PM

My plan is to write about the Condors and AHL available talents (primary points all-stars) but that could morph into something else.

OPENING NIGHT 2007-08

• L1: Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
  • L2: Stoll-Torres-Nilsson
  • L3: Reasoner-Sanderson-Brodziak
  • L4: Cogliano-Jacques-Gagner
  • D1: Pitkanen-Staios
  • D2: Souray-Greene
  • D3: Tarnstrom-Gilbert
  • G1: Roloson-Garon

I used to list the forward units properly, so the center appears first (C-L-R) above. I like the top line a lot, the 2line needed Pisani, third line is cool with me and the fourth line represented a long forgotten future. You can see what Lowe-MacT were trying to do with the defense, shame it couldn’t work out.

60 Responses to "FINDING LEIVO"

1. flyfish1168 says:

Not looking forward to next summer Oilers RFA list. Maroon, Caggulia, and Slepyshev at fowards. Nurse and Benning as d-Men. PC is going to have his work really cut out for him. I belive we are already at 56 million with 11 players signed only for 2018/19 not including Leon’s salary

2. Bar_Qu says:

I’ve been in timeout for years…we’re talking marriage comments, right?

Fans who aren’t happy with losing favorites now are going to be really unhappy with the cuts over the next few years. #valuedealsonlyneedapply

3. dustrock says:

LT kinda ironic to be faulting Chiarelli for being careful about the cap/bonus situation, no?

4. SoCaloil says:

I don’t see the Kings parting w doughty
    They still haven’t found a proper replacement for voynov
    They have kopi n carter as 1c and 2 c
    And realistically they can’t reset until they find a way to offload browns contract
    I think they’ll be better off this year w a healthy quick n toffoli

dustrock:

I’m not faulting him, because he still has time to use the money. I understand the idea of keeping $$ available with an OS for Leon possible.

6. jm363561 says:

“Chiarelli has the cap situation in a very good spot, maddeningly so when you think about it. If Leon comes in at $7.5 million, PC can include Sekera’s full salary plus a reasonable bonus cap and still have $5.6 million left. Oilers could add a substantial talent by opening night and have lots of deadline room.”

This is why the Pouliot buy out is such a head scratcher as $1.3m is pushed back to the next two years rather than fully absorbed this year. There has to be a Plan – it can’t all be to defend a Draisaitl offer sheet. Can it?

7. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

dustrock,

I’m just glad ChiaPete is demonstrating he’s learned his lesson from Boston, early and often.

8. jm363561 says:

“If you were a dink yesterday and continue today, you’ll be seeing a timeout. Respect each other, please and thanks.”

I understand why you say this, and of course agree, but it was a hell of a thread – Georges offloading “non-dink” rockets like Shea Weber on speed. Loved it.

9. jp says:

Hopefully we do see a Jagr/Vanek/Markov addition before camp though. It’s easy to say save that $ for the deadline and address team needs then, but deadline moves cost major player/pick assets in addition to money. There are good players still available for zero asset cost.

jm363561:

11. Scungilli Slushy says:

jm363561:
    “Chiarellihas the cap situation in a very good spot, maddeningly so when you think about it. If Leon comes in at $7.5 million, PC can include Sekera’s full salary plus a reasonable bonus cap and still have $5.6 million left. Oilers could add a substantial talent by opening night and have lots of deadline room.”

I see it as that they will not have anyone on the team that isn’t 100% on board with the plan. They tried for a year to move him, no takers. They also need to determine which of the young wingers can do the job because they will have to shed salary next summer. No point playing a guy they think has a fork in him and was pushing back.

12. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

jp,

The flip side of that is by waiting to sign, it allows room for internal development and the obvious needs get sussed out. One of the kids isn’t flourishing on the wing? Get a rental. Injury ravages our D-corps? Get a rental.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I am reasonably confident with our roster going forward. I’d like to see what they can do together after experiencing some moderate success last year. Major annual roster shake ups are the M.O. for flailing teams.

13. jm363561 says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Fair point and I think you are probably correct. But those dollars will hurt the cap in the next two years.

14. Scungilli Slushy says:

jp: It sounds like Sekera may not miss too too much time, so factoring his full salary makes sense, as does waiting on Draisaitl’s contract.

Cap relief only comes if a team is over the cap, up to the amount of the salary while the player is out. There is no LTIR cap relief for the Oilers.

There are good players available, and if they aren’t signed already they get cheaper by the day.

I think they are done. They are determining the team moving forward this season, bringing in another forward means a young guy gets pushed down. The problem is next year that young guy needs to play because cap. It’s better to let him gain experience now for the long term interest of the team.

If there are issues they can trade in season or at the deadline. The defense holds more worry, but again if they bring in another D who sits when Sekera is back? Bringing in a young D doesn’t help, it would have to be a vet. If the player wouldn’t mind being benched at some point would he be any better a player than Gryba or Fayne who are already under contract?

15. Scungilli Slushy says:

jm363561:
    Scungilli Slushy,

They are still sending messages and making the new culture. Can’t be much left to do, there has been a lot of turn over.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

flyfish1168:
    Not looking forward to next summer Oilers RFA list. Maroon, Caggulia,and Slepyshev at fowards. Nurse and Benning as d-Men. PC is going to have his work really cut out for him. I belive we are already at 56 million with 11 players signed only for 2018/19 not including Leon’s salary

Maroon is a UFA next summer and all but gone.

Even if he regresses to 20-22 goals, this is his one chance for a term plus $$$ contract and I can’t see him settling for anything under $4M/year and that is too rich for this team’s cap structure.

We need players such as Slep, JP, Caggulia to be able to step up next season and replace Maroon in the top 6 and then have value contracts (Yamamoto, Benson, Laleggia, Joe. G, etc.) replace those players in the bottom 6 – that will be the summer”s work for the foreseeable future.

The problem is, we will likely be upgrading at the deadline the next few years so where are the picks going to come from that turn in to these value contracts?

17. OriginalPouzar says:

jm363561:

It seems a head scratcher and I originally thought so as well but I wonder how much the 50-contract limit had to do with it? We are at 50 now (48 when Wells and Benson slide) and, if we still had Pouliot, it could limit in-season acquisitions.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

The new thought that Sekera won’t miss much time comes from an interview with Reggie himself where he says he’s progressing well. I think we should take a step back and take that with a huge grain of salt. I’m still thinking January until Oiler management posits otherwise.

19. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Scungilli Slushy,

This exactly. Well said.

20. slopitch says:

Fun seeing the wedding videos of Eberle’s wedding with Nuge, Maroon,Nurse, McDavid and Hall. Makes ya wonder what could have been. Too bad. Good to see the personal side of the game and understand that these trades are prob tough on the guys too. Oh well move on.

Big gap in the Mikka Z negotiations. Get in there Chai! Rangers cleared a ton of cap space this summer, moving Stepan and letting Girardi go. MZ is the goods. I bet they keep him but you gotta ask.

21. OmJo says:

slopitch:

Taylor Hall. Cancer in the locker room, country singer and goaltender at weddings.

22. Ducey says:

Not understanding the logic on trading a first rounder for Levio. The Oilers are stacked up front this year, at least with guys as good as Levio.

The Oilers need good young players coming up and Green has been drafting well.

23. OmJo says:

While I’d like to see Chia add a Jagr, just for the experience and leadership he’d bring to the lineup (Lucic on steroids in that regard) I am becoming more content with the roster as the summer goes on. Maybe it’s just because I want to start watching some hockey, or maybe I’ve lost my mind and am starting to get optimistic about the Oilers after a decade of disappointment… But if the young players keep treading in the same direction as last season, we shouldn’t be in bad shape.

Are we contenders? If McDavid puts up 120pts, maybe. But if not, that’s okay. We have him locked up for 8 years. We don’t have to be contenders this year. Besides, if we make the playoffs, anything is possible from that point on. Aside from the Penguins I don’t think there’s any obvious SC favourites in the league as of right now. With all the changes that will happen next summer, I think Chiarelli is getting ready to make his big SC push next summer. Lots of UFA and RFA decisions next summer.

I’m rambling. TL;DR, I think we’re done adding pieces, and Chiarelli is going to see how the young players (Slep, Cag, JP, Strome, Nurse, Benning, LB) and old players (Jokinen, Maroon, Lucic, Russell, Sekera) do before finalizing the core (IMO the primary core = McDavid, Drai, Klef, Larsson and Talbot).

[end of rambling]

24. jm363561 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Yes, to me that is how much they value team building. We haven’t seen such a cohesive team since 2006.

=====

One point that is rarely made by Chia’s supporters is that he seems to have built a tight dressing room and a team that is resilient on the ice. This does not always show up on Corsi, DFF, etc but does show up in wins, losses, and goal difference. It almost certainly contributes to players like Jokinen signing, and Cam Talbot resigning (after his agent, apparently, made it quite clear he would not when the trade was made). Would McDavid have signed on for eight years unless things were going in the right direction? Go Chia.

Ducey:

The Oilers need good young players coming up and Green has been drafting well.

I was kidding. Lou is a tough negotiator, so a first-round pick would satisfy him. Clearly a first-round pick would be a massive overpay.

26. OmJo says:

Ducey:

The Oilers need good young players coming up and Green has been drafting well.

The Penguins traded a first round pick for Perron. Hasn’t seemed to have hurt them since then.

27. jm363561 says:

“That’s an attractive and lengthy list of prospects, some of them may play in the NHL this year.”

It was only a few weeks ago we were all bemoaning the lack of prospects. What did I miss?

28. leadfarmer says:

OmJo: 24 years old, shoots right, has 10pts in 13 games last season. Granted not sure how his advanced stats look, but that’s not bad at all. Our 1st will [hopefully] be 20-30th overall. I think I’d consider it. Jokinen and Maroon won’t be here on LW next season, most likely.

The leafs are a high scoring team due to high end forward talent so I would take a complimentary players production with a grain of salt. It’s not a coincidence that Bozak, Kadri and JVR all had career years last year. A forward with nearly 200 AHL games will not return a high pick especially in a good draft which next year is supposed to be

29. Pouzar says:

Nuge/Nurse for Doughty? Are you ****in Cra……. /keed

Yes please.

30. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: True. I got home at 4:30, wrote the Rattie article, poured a rye and then prepared to delete posts. At the end of the day (thanks chris Pronger!) I tweaked one, deleted none. Fantastic stuff.

What did I miss? 🙂

31. OmJo says:

leadfarmer,

Fair point. Granted I’m not saying a first just for him, something or somebody else would have to come back. He played mostly with Andersen (99:39), Kadri (72:06) last season, but just 134:45 in total. Ironically the Leafs lost a former 1st round pick (2013 19th overall) to Vegas to protect Leivo.

Ultimately I’m not opposed to trading the first round pick for a 23-24 year old winger who can score at the NHL level. Whether it’s Leivo+ or somebody else+.

32. Nuclear leak says:

Still all Eakins fault.

Excited for a season of watching Mcdavid walk the Calgary defence while Larsson does his best Regher impression on Johnny in the corner.

jm363561:

The Oilers have stocked shelves on defense now, goaltending is getting there too. The forward group is a big concern though, with Benson’s health a major point of worry. The Gambardella signing helped the immediate future and I do think Yamamoto is going to push by next fall. Maybe before.

34. Nuclear leak says:

If Nuge and Nurse are being packaged, chasing Mackinnon would be my choice.

35. Gerta Rauss says:

Can the Oilers actually add another player right now..?

Yes, we have 2 slide rules that will (likely) be playing in junior, but those 2 slides won’t apply until after Labour day and the junior teams/camps start up, and one(or both) of them get sent back to their junior teams.

I know a team can go over the cap by 10% during the summer, but I’ve never heard of a team having 51 contracts during the summer months

I think the roster is set, and Chia may make a move closer to opening night if he feels there is a fit that helps the team

Unless we trade a roster player of course

36. digger50 says:

slopitch:

I really enjoyed that piece on Eberle wedding as well. Just reminds me what things are truly important.

37. OmJo says:

Gerta Rauss,

This is from Oilers website, though 2009 so not sure if it’s changed at all since. I’ll keep looking.

The 50-contract limit has an interesting distinction in that the limit pertains to the season(s) for which a contract is valid. All NHL player contracts expire on June 30. The year varies from contract to contract, but the day remains the same (as we’ll discuss more when we look at player contracts in later editions of the feature). Knowing it has expiring contracts coming off its 50-contract maximum, a team can sign players to contracts for the following season. By doing so a team may have more than 50 different players signed to valid SPCs, as long as 50 or fewer are signed to valid SPCs for that current season AND fewer than 50 SPCs on tap for the upcoming season.

Edit: According to CapFriendly we are at 47 Standard Player Contracts, which are contracts that count towards the 50 limit, so I don’t think the two slide contracts are counted right now.

38. Gerta Rauss says:

OmJo,

thanks for that

I think my point still stands unless someone can show me differently

We’re past June 30, so all current contracts carry the term July 1,2017 to June 30,2018 (including Benson and Wells) and a contract spot will be freed up if/when those 2 get sent back to junior

The names Jagr and Franson are still kicked around, but I’m not sure we can add a UFA until we send one of the kids back to junior (ie: sometime in September)

A trade (body in, body out) is as good as always

*edit-I didn’t see your edit before posting re:47 contracts..maybe capfriendly isn’t counting Big Yak..?

39. OmJo says:

Gerta Rauss,

What I took from this line

Was that we can be over 50 so long as Benson and Wells are going back to the CHL for the 2017-18 season. But yeah, I’d wait for somebody more knowledgeable to clarify it, especially with more recent information.

40. Thinker says:

A first is worth considerably more than Leivo. If you are trading one, you should be able to fill a hole without a shadow of a doubt.

Gerta Rauss:
    OmJo,

thanks for that

I think my point still stands unless someone can show me differently

A trade (body in, body out) is as good as always

42. jp says:

Lowetide: I’m not counting Bodgdan and come up with 50. Maybe they haven’t listed Lagesson.

I have a feeling Chia isn’t done…

jp: Does Leon not count because he’s unsigned? Yakimov isn’t listed on Cap Friendly (they retained his rights, but no contract signed I guess). There are 50 players listed there (including Leon and Lagesson, but not Bogdan).

I have a feeling Chia isn’t done…

More than the 50-man, that extra money makes me wonder.

44. Gerta Rauss says:

jp: In terms of SPCs, Cap Friendly states that “18 and 19 year olds in junior who haven’t played 11 NHL games do not count towards SPCs”, so that accounts for the slide rules. The Oilers definitely could sign 2 (or 3?) more players this summer according to this definition.

thanks-this is what I was looking for

the 2 juniors we’ve identified aren’t defined as SPC’s until they play 11 games, so we can sign 1/2/3 more players this summer if Chia sees fit

45. Scungilli Slushy says:

If Doughty was available in a heartbeat but it would be Benning going, they need to replace and the Oilers to make room. The cap can work.

Or why not wait and get him for nothing.

46. jp says:

Gerta Rauss,

Kind of exciting. Maybe Chia really will go all in this year.

I’m having visions of one of Jagr/Vanek/Fisher AND one of Markov/Franson on 1 year deals. Could be a hell of a team! A guy can dream, right?

47. season not played says:

Sorry LT.

48. Revolved says:

The gambler always has something up his sleeve. Wait to see how the kids look in camp and then sign sign an UFA for a faltering position once Draisaitl is signed, perhaps?

49. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar:
    Nuge/Nurse for Doughty? Are you ****in Cra……. /keed

Yes please.

Nuge and Nurse for Doughty? Is Lowe MacT and the gang running the kings? That’s a crazy steal for us

season not played:
    Sorry LT.

No worries.

51. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar: Maroon is a UFA next summer and all but gone.

52. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Lowetide: The forward group is a big concern though,

– Great post LT! What part of the forward group is a concern?

– McD, Drai, RNH, Lucic are all signed long-term

– Maroon is the 5th top6 this year

– Maybe one of pool-party, Sleppy, Strome emerge as top-6

– We are now going to attract Jusi type free agents always

– We’ve got Kassian, Jar-Jar, Cags for the bottom-6

– There are other Letetsu, sub-2MM vets always

– We dont’ need much from bottom-6 anyways

– We’ve got prospects marinating (with one potential top-6 winger)

– Really our top-6 is cast in stone save a few tweaks for 8 years.

-McD changes not only his two winger, but affords more opportunities to the 2nd line

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – Really our top-6 is cast in stone save a few tweaks for 8 years.

I don’t think this is true.

54. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Lowetide: I don’t think this is true.

– Your right: only Drai, McD Drai RNH are signed for the next 4 years.

– But Maroon this year, one of pool-party, sleppy or Strome or another can emerge.

– If your concern is that we don’t have top-6 marinating save Kailer and pool-party: I think that’s a reasonable amount. We aren’t in the 80’s: teams don’t have all-stud top-6s.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

flyfish1168: What you said is obvious as mentioned many times over by others on this blog. Slepyshev and Cagguila may not come cheap either if they have a good year. Both appear to be on the cusp of breaking through at the end of last year. We may want to gamble and sign them this year which may be risky also.

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Your right: only Drai, McD Drai RNH are signed for the next 4 years.

– If your concern is that we don’t have top-6 marinating save Kailer and pool-party: I think that’s a reasonable amount.We aren’t in the 80’s: teams don’t have all-stud top-6s.

1. Maroon prices himself off the roster.
    2. Lucic loses another step and has to play depth minutes or worse.
    3. Leon may sign an overblown contract and not emerge as that impact C we think we see.
    4. Nuge has to be dealt because cap
    5. Puljujarvi I have very little doubt about.
    6. Yamamoto injuries are going to be a concern.

Plus you want prospects pushing up and either taking jobs or being tradeable assets. The Oilers have McDavid, an enormous advantage. Better keep pushing, he’s going to make a lot of wingers too rich to sign.

OriginalPouzar: I apologize for stating my opinion given it has been previously stated on this blog.

58. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: If we’re waiting for original thoughts this message board would be tumbling tumbleweeds. Your opinion is always welcome.

Thank you – appreciate it.

59. NativeNotFrench says:

I think Peter is done as well. See what you have in the kids this year and adjust accordingly. I do think that is the plan and the pressure cooker get’s turned on next year. I do think using McDavid’s ELC for a Stanley Push makes sense but I understand why he would wait and see what he has before pushing. Chia has worried me a couple times but I am honestly happy with where the oil sit today. Not all of that is because of Chiarelli but we’ll take what we got

60. Bank Shot says:

The beauty thing about having holes at wing is that lower mid range guys are super easy to find and cost almost nothing.

You can sign a Cammalleri or a Vanek or Versteeg or two every season and get 40+ points for around a million bucks.

My bet for value left wing to fill the future holes is already on the roster Drake Caggiula.

I’d try to get him on a 4-5 year contract for around $2 million. Security for him, and if it doesn’t work out the Oilers can buy him out before 26 for a third.

I think he’s going to be a decent top nine player though.