TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 4: JOEY LALEGGIA

We’ve seen the story play out a thousand times. A player is drafted, has some exceptional skills in a specific part of the game and pronounced areas of weakness. Drafting team focuses on the positive, entry-level deal proceeds with both promise and challenges and of course we know the odds of making it all the way to regular status in the world’s best hockey league.

That was Joey Laleggia’s story before his move to LW and it’s still Joey Laleggia’s story. All the move did was improve the odds of his making it. Can he make the NHL as a winger? He’s on the right team to try.

BAKERSFIELD NHLE (FORWARDS)

• Laleggia isn’t the first Bakersfield option (Puljujarvi) and he probably loses out to another (Khaira) Condors forward in the battle for an NHL roster spot. He could be a mid-season callup if the puck keeps going in down on the farm.

RE 17-18: 4GP, 0-0-0

1. What role will Laleggia apply for? Skill winger, 2PP time. He’s blocked out based on the current depth chart by Patrick Maroon, Milan Lucic, Jussi Jokinen, Drake Caggiula, Jujhar Khaira. Iiro Pakarinen and Anton Slepyshev may be in the mix on both wings. Not all of these men will be applying for the same jobs as Laleggia but it’s mighty crowded.
  2. Does he have a real chance? He is a long shot. Even with his scoring success one year ago, Laleggia is running up a giant hill. Laleggia is two years older than Drake Caggiula, who is ahead of him.
  3. What makes him attractive for this roster? He is a wonderful passer and can score goals. I think that should not be undersold, despite my projections. One dimensional players make the NHL if that one dimension can be of use to his team.
  4. What will his role be in Bakersfield? I think he’ll play big minutes on the top line with an unknown center and Ty Rattie on right wing. That line will fill the net.
  5. What one thing will get him to the NHL? A strong training camp where he scores early and often will be key to his success this fall and winter but he needs some injuries and slumps ahead of him.
  6. What will keep him from getting an NHL look? There are more promising youngsters ahead of him and the depth lines are going to feature players with more utility. With his speed and smarts, Laleggia should be a good penalty killer, maybe that’s a way to get noticed.
  7. When will we know he has a chance? Injuries impact during the year and he’s lighting it up. I don’t think it is realistic to suggest he will make the opening night roster.
  8. How many players can he reasonably be expected to pass in one winter? On the LW depth chart, Laleggia is ahead of Braden Christoffer and the AHL-only contracts. I’d put him behind the rest. He might be able to catch Iiro Pakarinen. Laleggia is a LW, and Rattie a RW, but I think they are in competition with each other and Rattie will have a clear edge.

22 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 4: JOEY LALEGGIA"

1. Brantford Boy says:

Is it safe to come out now?

2. Richard S.S. says:

There are rumor from a while back about Draisaitl’s Camp turning down 7 years offer sheets at $7.0 and $7.5 Million per. There are other rumors. The one rumor that’s not going away is Peter Chiarelli is still offering $7-ish while Draisatl’s camp offering $9-ish. If that’s true and I hope not, it’s going to be a long summer waiting.

The only way I see Joey Laleggia making the Oilers at any time this year is an exceptional amount of injuries. He will be of more value next year – mainly because he’ll work cheap.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

I am very interested to see what Joey can do at his first camp as a left winger.

Maybe I’m dreaming but I see the potential for this understated player to forge a career putting up points in the NHL.

It would be a great thing if he could put himself in the conversation for an NHL winger job.

4. thehop says:

Richard S.S.:
    There are rumor from a while back about Draisaitl’s Camp turning down 7 years offer sheets at $7.0 and $7.5 Million per.There are other rumors.The one rumor that’s not going away is Peter Chiarelli is still offering $7-ish while Draisatl’s camp offering $9-ish.If that’s true and I hope not, it’s going to be a long summer waiting.

The only way I see Joey Laleggia making the Oilers at any time this year is an exceptional amount of injuries.He will be of more value next year – mainly because he’ll work cheap.

5. jtblack says:

Brantford Boy,

abahahahaah. The last post was quite Civil!!!

6. Scungilli Slushy says:

“He’s blocked out based on the current depth chart by Patrick Maroon, Milan Lucic, Jussi Jokinen, Drake Caggiula, Jujhar Khaira. Iiro Pakarinen and Anton Slepyshev”

“So you’re say’in there’s a chance!” Lloyd Christmas

I admire Nuge’s buddies pluck and flexibility. I think he can make it, he’s the same size as Cogliano essentially, if he has that speed there is a chance, although Europe is a no brainer for him.

7. Thinker says:

Legit curious how much ransom you can get for Draisaitl. Ristolainen+? If this was known earlier, they should have grabbed a legit 3C to play toughs so nuge could be 2C.

8. Bank Shot says:

25 year old, undersized defenseman with 6 months of experience playing left wing?

Where do I sign????…..To get him shot out of a cannon.

If this guy plays a single game in the NHL its a sign something went wrong.

He’s done. Sail on Burnaby Bantamweight.

9. digger50 says:

Bank Shot:

Where do I sign????…..To get him shot out of a cannon.

If this guy plays a single game in the NHL its a sign something went wrong.

He’s done. Sail on Burnaby Bantamweight.

I wouldn’t say he’s “done”. He’s a dam fine hockey player. Doing everything he can to succeed.

He may never make the NHL, but hopefully he still manages to ride his hockey skills to a two or three million dollar carreer, wherever he lands.

10. stush18 says:

digger50,

Let’s also not undersell his offense.

He’s a clearly talented goal scorer. His NHLE was outstanding as a dman in college if I recall (LT?).

Moving to forward should help, because he isn’t slow either. I think he’s blocked by caguilla though. Can only have so many smaller forwards.

11. Nuclear leak says:

He’s blocked by Yamamoto roboto, small, soft skilled wings are not in Edmonton anymore.

12. OmJo says:

Bank Shot:

Where do I sign????…..To get him shot out of a cannon.

If this guy plays a single game in the NHL its a sign something went wrong.

He’s done. Sail on Burnaby Bantamweight.

13. Bank Shot says:

OmJo: Best case scenario, he turns out to be a bottom six winger with offensive upside. Worst case scenario, he’s a top 6 winger in Bakersfield. Either way, the Oilers win. So I don’t see why they should get rid of him at this point.

I think there is a less than 1% chance Laleggia is an NHL calibre winger.

I don’t necessarily want to see him gone out of the org. I just don’t think he should be talked about as a real option for NHL playing time.

14. Evilas says:

thehop,

I wonder if Leon is considering holding out until after the Olympics so he can represent Germany…

thehop: The longer this drags on, the more I’m inclined to believe that Drai wants north of 8.5 mil. Any number below that is palatable imo. If he want 9+, trade that guy before the season starts for the assets we need to make this team a champion…. He’s good but he’s not that good.

Draisaitl was the Duck killer in the regular season and the playoffs. McDavid was pretty much shut down by the Ducks.

8 x $8.5 million. Draisaitl should not take a penny less on a eight-year deal. If the Oilers bridge him, they will end up having to pay him $11 million in two years.

16. digger50 says:

godot10: Draisaitl was the Duck killer in the regular season and the playoffs.McDavid was pretty much shut down by the Ducks.

8 x $8.5 million.Draisaitl should not take a penny less on a eight-year deal.If the Oilers bridge him, they will end up having to pay him $11 million in two years.

I gotta agree they have to pay the man. We have found the perfect complimentary player for Connor, he’s right here! But he’s gonna get paid.

He may complement Connor or the wing, or follow him in a 1-2 punch at center. We’ll definitely see them on the PP and they are overtime killers.

We absolutely need Leon.

17. Thinker says:

Evilas:
    thehop,

I wonder if Leon isconsidering holding out until after the Olympics so he can represent Germany…

There’s a deadline to sign rfas for a season. It’s december something.

18. Munny says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I think the key to the Chia template is Battle. Does Legs have the battle level and ability to play in the NHL? I don’t know, I haven’t seen him enough. They’re giving him a chance at a position where at his size he has more chance for success, but he’d really be beating the odds at this point.

19. russ99 says:

The pressure to get an RFA signing done doesn’t really hit until they miss the start of camp. Until then it’s posturing by both sides.

Seems the real difference between Leon’s and McDavid’s contract situations is the extra leverage a RFA has and that McDavid’s camp was willing to bargain, while Leon’s camp is holding a hard line.

I suspect if the difference between the sides is < $2m that an agreement will be reached before camp.

A bridge doesn’t really make sense, that’s a “MacT kick the can down the road 2 years special” and Leon’s camp reportedly doesn’t want that anyway.

20. russ99 says:

Back to LaLeggia, I’m cheering for the kid, and we still need more skill forwards in the system even after this year’s draft.

But if Bakersfield was more of a player development organization, and not in “get grindy players to win enough to pull a decent gate” mode, I doubt he’s have gotten the chance to be able to switch to LW.

21. lucky says:

digger50,

Just hope that Leon and his agent are somehow inspired by McDavid’s spirit, not wanting to milk the team for every last penny so much as wanting to play with a championship group. If McDavid leaves what he did on the table just so that Draisaitl thinks he should gather that up, there’s gonna be hard feelings. Guy is only a year and a half into his career. I am in no way a fan of the Flames, but look what little Johnny signed for, and he can affect the outcome of hockey games. Team guys only, please.

22. oilswell says:

Laleggia is unlikely, obviously, but if he can scoot and shoot there is a chance in the majors.

Connor Sheary is the same size and age and the quality of their college careers isn’t worlds apart. He can skate backwards so maybe 2pp point is an option too.

Not sayin, just rollin it around.