RE 17-18 RYAN STROME: WHEELS

The Edmonton Oilers have a habit of collecting first-round selections from the New York Islanders. Eric Brewer (No. 5, 1997), Raffi Torres (No. 5, 2000), Robert Nilsson (No. 15, 2003), Ryan O’Marra (No. 15, 2005), Griffin Reinhart (No. 4, 2012) have all spent time in the Oilers organization. So, until Michael Dal Colle arrives, let’s talk about Ryan Strome (No. 5, 2011) as an Edmonton Oiler. (Wheels).

STROME PUCK IQ NUMBERS

RYAN STROME 2016-17

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.58 (8th among regular NYI forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.18 (5th among regular NYI forwards)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 45.4
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: -1.8
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 41.1
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: -3.2 (29 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 114 shots/11.4%
  • Boxcars: 69, 13-17-30
  • (All numbers via Puck IQStats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)

RE 17-18: 76GP, 19-21-40 (.526)

1. These numbers are not impressive. I tried to find a sweet spot between what he might do as a soft parade 3C and McDavid’s right winger.
  2. Do you have the Oilers scoring more this year than last? You’ll have to stay tuned.
  3. I’ll guess the answer is yes. Why are you holding Strome back? I’m not, this is a strong recovery season for him. The trick is to figure out what Strome would reasonably post in each situation he’ll likely play in.
  4. How much does he play with McDavid? As I mentioned in the Leon Draisaitl comment, my projection has Leon with 97 about 70 percent of the season. Strome’s total comes from his time with McDavid, his time as 3C, and power-play opportunities.
  5. How many power-play points for Strome? He has scored just over 20 percent of his career total on the power play, I have him at nine points this coming year.
  6. This seems like a meh projection. It’s probably a little bullish to be honest, Strome hasn’t scored anywhere close to 40 points beyond his first full season.
  7. He’s going to be in a feature role! Not by my projections. If Strome plays 82 games with McDavid, my projection will look poor but I don’t think Todd McLellan will go away from McDavid-Draisaitl.
  8. You’re so damned stubborn. Everyone agrees the smart play is Leon at center. By everyone, I assume you mean everyone but Todd McLellan. I’m not projecting my own preference, I’m combining both McLellan’s history (he likes two C’s on one line) and Peter Chiarelli’s words (he has mentioned Strome as a center several times).
  9. What do the Puck IQ numbers say? The Islanders regarded Strome (rightly) as a mid-level player, he got the bulk of his playing time against the middle competition. Strome did not dominate that middle, nor did he dominate the soft parade. His rel number remains the same through all three levels of competition.
  10. What does that tell us? Depending on linemates, Strome is a complementary player and shouldn’t be expected to drive his own line against tough competition.
  11. Who did he play with? Puck IQ has a new wrinkle to the site, WOWY’S! Strome was most effective with Nikolai Kulemin, played just 41 minutes with John Tavares.
  12. What does it mean? The Islanders had soured on Strome (Puck IQ has him No. 10 F in total minutes against elite opposition last season). He played with checkers and kids and in that light his offense was reasonable.
  13. So Strome failed and got passed by Josh Bailey, Cal Clutterbuck and Casey Cizikas? We’re about to find out. The Islanders are such a strange organization.
  14. Can he be the next Nino Niederreiter? I guarantee that’s the bet Peter Chiarelli is making. My guess is the Oilers think there’s a chance Strome can form some kind of chemistry with McDavid and that may have contributed to the deal.
  15. So he is Eberle’s replacement? Todd McLellan will decide where everyone plays. The bet from this year’s RE is about 70-80 percent 3C and enough time with McDavid to see if there’s some chemistry there.
  16. Does he take enough shots? No. His 5×5 shots per 60 last season (6.09) isn’t great, about equal with Drake Caggiula. He was 9.19 shots per 60 on the power play, that’s a little more than Connor McDavid a year ago. He has to be more productive this coming year.
  17. What do you think? The numbers suggest Strome wasn’t making much of a difference and the Islanders certainly found other options (Strome was No. 7 in even-strength time-on-ice per game last year).
  18. What do you think? I suspect Edmonton is hoping Strome can eventually fill either 3C or 1R effectively. We’ll need to see a more substantial season across the board in 2017-18.
  19. How can he get there? Strome played most with Brock Nelson and Anthony Beauvillier this past season, I think he gets Jussi Jokinen and Jesse Puljujarvi this coming year.
  20. Is that better? Nelson with Strome went 1.57/60 scoring, Strome with Nelson went 1.40 per 60. This is in 340 minutes and I think that’s the range we might see Strome score this coming season on a soft minutes line. I think he probably gets around 20 points on the third line, and 12 or so in his time with McDavid. That’s the bet.
  21. What’s your guess about Strome? I think, and I don’t know, that a team with a franchise player would move heaven and earth to try and find a bunch of forwards who have chemistry with him. I think the Oilers love Leon with 97 and love that duo (McLellan likes his pairs), but would also like a righty ‘mirror man’ who can also step up from the third line. I think this is a bet, possibly one of many over several years, on a young player who the Oilers are auditioning for a feature role. I think he will see a lot of playing time early this coming season with McDavid, and if it works he could end up being a very successful scorer in Edmonton. It’s an audition that could turn into a hockey lifetime. We wait.
  22. Why this song? The entire lyric fits Strome right now. Perfect fit.

55 Responses to "RE 17-18 RYAN STROME: WHEELS"

1. MacT's Neglected Helmet says:

This must have been a really difficult RE to formulate. Strome had a bad season. Let’s hope a lot of that was due to the garbage fire that was the NY Islanders.

2. leadfarmer says:

I’m glad you’re more bullish on some of these guys. I don’t think Strome is here this time next year. His shot per 60 is not only low, it has decreased by a point in each of his last 4 years

3. Scungilli Slushy says:

Strome doesn’t have to shoot the lights out, he only has to do what he’s told. He has no Achilles heel in his game that could stop him at the NHL level.

His contract allows him to be a 30-40 point scorer. That’s only just behind Eberle for less than half price.

He has brothers in the league and a family relationship with McDavid. He is not likely going to have motivational or off ice issues. Certainly a good bet.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Its tough to predict Strome’s season given its tough to predict where he’ll play (the same can be said for many the wingers).

I would be elated at 40 points – that would be a strong recovery season but a “reasonable” enough number to get him signed to a “reasonable” contract next spring.

I know PC has said he sees him as a center but that would have to be 3C and I just don’t like a non-penalty killing, defensively average face-off loser at 3C. Maybe he can improve.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Are you able to provide any visibility in to how Strome’s numbers looked without Capuano, in particular once Capuano was fired and Weight took over?

My recollection is his offence spiked – not sure if he got more minutes, different minutes, different linemates, etc.

6. thehop says:

All he has to do is perform better than Eberle did last year….
    Not sure if he can do that… I wish him the best.

OriginalPouzar:

8. VOR says:

The thing is the best use for Strome is at center. Oilers fans will be blown away by just how creative he is with the puck and just how much time he spends with it. So why wasn’t he playing center with the Islanders?

He isn’t a rock solid defensive option when playing right wing. When playing center he is a disaster. Oh, and he can’t win a face off to save his life.

Truthfully, Ryan Strome needs to play with two talented offensive players one of who could come back and play F1 on defense and one of who could take all the left hand draws.

Hmm, so what you would need is a right winger with tremendous speed who could play right wing in the offensive end and then come racing back to pick up the F1 defensive assignment. Fast wingers with good to great defensive instincts don’t come along all that often. Where might the Oilers find one of those? And where do you suppose the Oilers could come up with a talented left winger who could take all those lefty draws?

What I am saying is that I wonder if the Oilers knew they had Jokinen in their pocket when they traded for Strome. Jokinen might well have been the solution to maximizing two young players potential not just one. He could in a pinch, if Puljujarvi fails at the task come back and play F1 and he can definitely take the left hand draws for Strome. Both he and Puljujarvi have wheels and Ryan Strome plays best when he is in possession of puck in full flight with speedy wingers pressuring the defense and creating openings he can exploit.

I truly believe some serious thought went into the Eberle for Strome trade. Option 1, Strome can develop chemistry with McDavid. Option 2, he centers a unicorn third line that has mad possession numbers (well above 50% corsi and fenwick) and maybe actual offence to go with those numbers. All while feeding on the soft underbelly of other teams.

9. Ducey says:

leadfarmer:
    I’m glad you’re more bullish on some of these guys.I don’t think Strome is here this time next year.His shot per 60 is not only low, it has decreased by a point in each of his last 4 years

Yeah, its weird. You’d think he would be a sniper. The offensive fancies are not there. In fact he is pretty good in the CA (and GA). His CA/60 vs Gritensity is the best on the team among F. Kind of middle of the pack overall.

Never know. I think we put too much stock in these numbers. They are quite dependent on linemates and situations. They are indicators, not the end all and be all.

For example, we know he was in the dog house with the old coach, but bounced back under Weight to some degree before getting hurt. Once Weight took over, he didn’t get any points for the first 5 games. Then he reeled off 14 points in 15 games. Then he got 2 points in his next 10 before getting hurt.

So overall he had 14 points in 39 games under Campuano. He had 16 points in 30 games under Weight. If he could do what he did under Weight, he would come in at 43 points/ 82.

10. Thinker says:

If Strome were on the team last year, he would likely be playing the bench.

11. kgo says:

Strome will play with Lucic all day everyday

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: I did look at that, or to be completely honest I wondered why his Feb1 to end of season numbers were 24gp, 6-9-15.

I think its an important point to note – From accounts, he didn’t get along with (or see eye to eye with) Capuano and his offence spiked when he was fired.

Was it a dead cat bounce?

Am I just being overly-hopeful?

That’s a 51 point pace playing with lesser players than he will likely be playing with next year (likely Jokinen/Caggulia and JP/Slep at the least and McDavid and Maroon at the best).

13. Scungilli Slushy says:

Strome draft year 1.63 PPG
    Eberle draft year 1.07 PPG

By our own metrics Strome has more offensive ceiling than Eberle and isn’t in his prime.

14. russ99 says:

I think he’ll easily beat that RE, and he could be RNHs eventual replacement.

IMO he’ll get more chances in a top 6 role due to his positional versatility.

15. russ99 says:

VOR:

McLellan doesn’t really line match or run a soft minutes line. He expects each line to handle a decent level of competition, spread the load, not let any team stifle us by trying to shut down one line.

This is why I see the pairs with Strome as either at RW with McDavid or at C with Lucic.

The third line looks to be Jokinen, RNH and Puljujarvi, with others possibly moving up if Puljujarvi isn’t ready.

Three balanced lines on both sides of the ice. Unicorns is dead.

16. VOR says:

Original Pouzar,

Strome jumped to something like 2.00/60 EVS under Weight. If you believe the Islanders fan sites that was because Weight made a point that he wanted Strome and other players to focus less on defense and more on outscoring their mistakes.

But that isn’t the most interesting thing.

Doug Weight used Ryan Strome in a really peculiar way. He seemed to see Strome as his starting 3RW which actually was a bit deeper down the lineup than Campuano played him. Then as the game progressed Weight would deploy Strome at 3 or 4C, deep in his own end particularly on key face-offs.

Sounds nuts given the kid is terrible at face-offs never mind important ones. Well Weight only did it on the right side of the ice. Apparently he did it because Strome is good at not losing clean on the face-off and supposedly much better at face-offs on his dominant side. How much better I don’t know but Weight isn’t a stupid guy so he wouldn’t have done it given his other options unless it made sense. However, as far as I can tell that is the first time any coach gave him serious defensive responsibilities on face-offs.

Then Weight would leave Strome at center as the attack went back up the ice but when it came back to the defensive end again Strome went back to right wing and F3.

Weight also, again media and fan site comments so take it with a grain of salt, had Strome carrying the puck up the middle of the ice even when he was playing right wing

I have no idea what any of that means, but it seems slightly unorthodox. Probably trying to figure out what he had in the player and find a role for Strome that maximized his talents.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    Strome draft year 1.63 PPG
    Eberle draft year 1.07 PPG

I think you mean P/60 or are you talking junior numbers.

I think junior numbers – if that’s the case, I’m not sure the low-scoring WHL of 2008 can be compared straight up to the 2011 OHL, a higher scoring league.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

VOR:
    Original Pouzar,

But that isn’t the most interesting thing.

Wow – great info, thank you.

19. VOR says:

Original Pouzar,

I suspect what we are are going to discover is that Doug Weight turns out to be a very good coach. He seems to have tried to optimize the players he had rather than to make them fit some arbitrary game plan.

20. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

MacT’s Neglected Helmet,

– Great post LT! One thing about Chi: you remark that part of the RE is based on his words.

– One admirable Chia trait is that he isn’t stubborn. If he makes a mistake, he fixes it: Griff went from “NHL” ready to bringing in Russell. He flushed Gordon, brought in Korp, then bought him out

– Contrast that with MacT: who could be a stubborn mule, refused to fix mistakes

– As an aside MacT: look up Craig MacTavish in the urban dictionary: it means “when you have sex with a girl without wearing a condom”. i.e.: I gave her the ol’ mactavish .

– I find that funny that the last guy to not play with a helmet has landed in hipster vernacular.

VOR:
    Original Pouzar,

Agree with this. Smart player, smart coach.

22. Ryan says:

VOR:

Great thoughts.

Yet, I believe that we’re all collectively overthinking one thing.

Last season, the Drake was our third line center. He of the “I wish I could produce at 5v5 like Matt Hendricks” cadre.

Let’s reflect back on that for a minute.

23. Nuclear leak says:

Strome was an extremely confident kid under Weight, hopefully it carries over.

24. VOR says:

Russ 99,

We know a number of things about Todd McLellan . One of them is that he likes to dance with the one that brought him. If he finds a duo that works they end up joined at the hip.

McDavid and Draisaitl worked extraordinarily well. I am sure that Strome starts the first game with McDavid and Draisaitl is at 2C. That is because I am sure the GM wants that alignment. That will last until the first time the Oilers fall behind in a game, then McDavid and Draisaitl will be re-united, by and large permanently. McLellan is the one who gets fired first if the Oilers stop winning now and he will go to his whip hand early and often.

By default this means RNH is playing 2C. This is because for a guy that doesn’t match lines McLellan leaned on RNH a large amount. RNH played more than 40% of the time against the elites. Did he thrive, no, but he did survive.

Strome’s number against elites on the other hand sucked. That number was mostly Strome playing right wing. Center is way harder defensively. So the evidence would suggest that Strome really can’t center a line that can carry its own weight unless his line mates can do more than their share of the heavy lifting. He just doesn’t play defense well enough or close to well enough.

Slepyshev is certainly fast enough to get back and play F1 for Strome but he hasn’t shown the defensive chops and Lucic couldn’t possibly do it because of a lack of foot speed. And Lucic and Slepyshev seem to have been penciled in by most here as 2/3rds of the second line. Lucic also can’t really help Strome on face-offs, even after last year he is a career 44.5% on face-offs and has never taken more than 131 face offs in a season. (Jokinen on the other hand has never taken that few in a season and has 11 seasons in a row over 50% on the dot.)

On top of which Strome dangles with the puck and he does it at high speed. Having him play with Lucic is to give Strome an anchor to drag around the ice. Strome could possibly end up being on Nuge’s right wing if the left winger was great defensively (Jokinen). Nuge could take left hand draws, play F1, and Strome could take right hand draws and play F3. Not sure who then plays 3C.

Maybe over time the Oilers hope Puljujarvi is the 1R, Draisaitl plays 2C with Lucic and probably Slepyshev. RNH is the 3C with Strome and Jokinen. This is close to a balanced lineup with all lines having real fire power. Hmm, unicorns.

However McLellan is the one who keeps saying Strome is a center – suggesting a disconnect right out of the gate. In which case the only place you can hide his defensive weaknesses and not have to line match (and I agree with you McLellan doesn’t like to match) is at 3C with Puljujarvi and Jokinen. So Strome can get the help he needs on defense and in the face-off circle.

That much offensive talent is likely to produce offence. Especially since other coaches do line match. So whether it is power versus power or a specific checking line McDavid gets the other teams best defensive forwards and Dmen. Hopkins, we know this is how McLellan uses him, will end up playing as much as McLellan can manage against the other team’s best players. That leaves Strome and his line mates playing middle or lower tier players (muddle or gritensity).

Lots of offence versus poor opposition, voila, unicorns.

25. PunkInDrublic says:

Most people seem down on Strome. Personally, I’m hoping he develops along the Kyle Turris change of scenery path.

Any similarities between Strome and Turris in the fancy stats?

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Ryan: Great thoughts.

Yet, I believe that we’re all collectively overthinking one thing.

Let’s reflect back on that for a minute.

That experiment was doomed to fail.

27. dustrock says:

What’s the DFF with Weight?

28. Ryan says:

PunkInDrublic:

Any similarities between Strome and Turris in the fancy stats?

My thoughts are that Strome should be a significant upgrade from the black hole of offense that Drake produced centering the third line last year.

Those were plenty of wasted butter soft minutes.

I think that Strome is a reasonable bet to lay waste to the butter soft minutes Drake did nothing with last season.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

VOR:
    Russ 99,

McDavid and Draisaitl worked extraordinarily well.

Is that second statement actually true or exaggerated due to the eye test?

I believe it was on this very blog that I learned that the points/60 were substantially the same between McDavid/Drai and McDavid/Eberle when one controlled for left wing.

I believe other metrics were more favorable to dry (goal share maybe?).

30. Ryan says:

OriginalPouzar: That was a mistake by the coach from before Drake hit the ice as a center – the man was a winger in college – to try and start him in the NHL at C was silly even if he wasn’t behind the 8-ball due to a long term injury.

That experiment was doomed to fail.

Agreed.

I think that Strome will make good use of those minutes this up coming season.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

VOR,

Isn’t it Chiarelli (not Coach Todd) that keeps saying Strome is a center (I know he’s used the phrase “we see him as a center”) – has this been re-iterated by the coach?

32. VOR says:

Original Pouzar,

I am double checking. You may well be right but the article I was reading attributed the comment to McLellan but I am sure Chiarelli said it in the press conference I listened to. It could be I misread or it was sloppy reporting.

33. jm363561 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Agreed great posts by VOR. Really enjoyed them. Caggs at C was definitely one of the mysteries of last season. Hope to see more production this year.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

No need to worry about it – was just checking if a missed something said by the coach – I think he was on with Stauffer earlier today (which I haven’t had a chance to listen to) as I read a quote about him wanting to keep Larsson and Klef together in “a perfect world” while Reggie is out.

35. VOR says:

Original Pouzar,

Based on eight articles I was able to find, they have both called Strome a center, they have both called him a utility player, they have both called him a natural center then qualified it by saying he can play the wing. On average the consensus of Chiarelli and McLellan is that they love the idea of being able to play him many places in the lineup. Though neither of them refer to him at any time as a right winger which is interesting.

Parsing it you would have to say McLellan is more interested in the center part of Strome’s skill set. He always mentions the center part of the skill set first and then kind of glosses over the forward part other than in one interview where he talks about how they do like to move players around the lineup (that is on the Oilers site). Chiarelli is more interested in the wrist shot and speed on the wing which he goes on about at length after briefly mentioning Strome is a natural center or sees himself as a center. But it is a close thing, the differences are small albeit it noticeable. So good spot.

I was clearly being too doctrinaire.

My bad.

36. Bank Shot says:

I’m keeping low expectations for Strome.

He has had two pretty poor seasons back to back and its not like the top six in NY was impossible to crack.

I’m really hoping that the scouts saw something in him the last year or so, and it isn’t a typical Oilers “Bob really liked him in his draft year” swing at a high pick.

37. treevojo says:

This is our future Larsson at LD ready to lay beatdowns in the corners and in front of the net in the dzone.

He will be hell to play against.

I pity poor johnny hockey.

I can’t seem to get the picture of Nurse to attatch.

But it looks like he is deadlifting like 500 lbs.

38. OriginalPouzar says:

VOR:
    Original Pouzar,

39. OriginalPouzar says:

VOR:
    Original Pouzar,

I was clearly being too doctrinaire.

My bad.

No need to worry about it – you are more thorough than me – I only went back and listened to McLellan’s presser today.

Suffice to say he will play both center and RW this year I’m sure – where he starts, who knows at this point.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

Bank Shot:
    I’m keeping low expectations for Strome.

41. Professor Q says:

treevojo:

He will be hell to play against.

I pity poor johnny hockey.

I can’t seem to get the picture of Nurse to attatch.

But it looks like he is deadlifting like 500 lbs.

42. treevojo says:

Professor Q: And he’s doing it all with chicken legs! Can’t wait to see him bulked out to his frame.

I’m guessing you seen it.

I don’t know why I can’t attatch it.

My wife texted it to me.

She is okay with the love.

43. Munny says:

Kudos, LT. Strome is likely the most difficult of the REs and I think you did quite well.

44. treevojo says:

OriginalPouzar: but, but, but, he was much improved after Capuano was let go – lets just extrapolate those end of year numbers to provide ourselves optimism during the off-season.

I may have a bias cause my cousin played for jack in Bridgeport.

But from what I hear he is a terrible coach and will be surprised if he lands a job as as a head coach again.

Obviously take with a grain of salt.

45. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: Just listened to Coach’s presser today – described Strome as a utility guy that can play center but can be moved around.

Probably the perfect description for him. Options. The GM likes options. And this one has some upside too if the light goes on. In part, this bet means he’s not totally screwed if Nuge must be traded and he can’t bring the return Chia wants.

46. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: I think you mean P/60 or are you talking junior numbers.

I think junior numbers –if that’s the case, I’m not sure the low-scoring WHL of 2008 can be compared straight up to the 2011 OHL, a higher scoring league.

NHLE per league:
    Eberle 23.72
    Strome 42.79

Using Roatis that LT does. It doesn’t change much in a 3 year span. The point is that Strome is a higher end talent than Eberle. That doesn’t mean it happens in the NHL, but draft position indicates quality usually. Strome is a younger, bigger, faster, better shooting player who played centre, right shot.

47. Thinker says:

Scungilli Slushy: NHLE per league:
    Eberle 23.72
    Strome 42.79

Not sure what this probes. Lots of guys outscored eberle in junior. Most aren’t better at the hockey. Stroke has had ample time to establish himself and hasn’t. He’s not a player I covet.

OriginalPouzar:

Todd McLellan is more like Jack Capuano than he is like Doug Weight.

49. Thinker says:

godot10,

Just curious. Who would be your favourite coach for this team? Like anyone out there, doesn’t have to be Krueger or Nelson.

50. Pescador says:

Scungilli Slushy: NHLE per league:
    Eberle 23.72
    Strome 42.79

I don’t love NHLE’s.
    What were Yakupov’s?
    I’m worried that Strome was too soft for the east

51. GMB3 says:

godot10: Todd McLellan is more like Jack Capuano than he is like Doug Weight.

I was just going to say this. Mclellan is a decent coach but the whole “optimize systems for the players you have” doesn’t seem to be his calling card

52. Revolved says:

Some great info in this thread. McClellan does definitely demand that players play the system, I guess Chia just felt that his versatility would make it more likely for him to find a role that fit him. McClellan seems to love this versatility when throwing together new lines during the game. The center fetish continues!

Oilers forwards with pro experience at center:

McDavid
    Draisaitl
    RNH
    Strome
    Jokinen
    Letestu
    Khaira
    Caggiula

With Strome, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi and Letestu shooting right, there are many balanced line combinations to be mixed here.

53. russ99 says:

I like Lucic – Strome for two reasons:

On the island, Strome had a hard time at RW playing the chip and chase game McLellan loves, but his best skill set is protecting the puck away from the wall under pressure and doing creative things with it.

So if you have him centering a line with Lucic and Slepyshev, two good cycle players, they can do the dirty work while he sets up plays with the puck.

Part two of that is RNH last year was very ineffective in a similar role, and unless he changes his game to play better in tough areas, Strome is a better option for that role.

The fly in the ointment is defense, but would you prefer better defense with RNH on a line and system he struggles with, or would you take a chance that Slepy can be an effective first forward back on a much more successful line offensively and possession wise?

54. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy: NHLE per league:
    Eberle 23.72
    Strome 42.79

I don’t put alot of stock in to NHLE – to me, it generally doesn’t seem to be an accurate prediction of NHL scoring.

With that said, I can’t argue that coming out of junior Strome didn’t have a higher offensive potential then Eberle – hence to 6th overall pick vs. the 22nd overall pick.

With that said, Eberle being almost a decade post draft and Strome one year away from his third contract, draft pedigree is no longer meaningful to me – there is a body of post draft work that is more applicable.

55. Oilers8833 says:

I think I agree with LT about Leon being the 1st line RW with all the discussion of Strome being a center from Chia and McLellan. I really think this will be the allignment until Chia’s hand is forced when he trades Nuge. This is where I see as mentioned in an earlier comment where Strome would then in theory be the 3rd line C going foward.

For next year to start I see the lines like this:

Maroon-McDavid-Drai