FIVE EASY PIECES

Leon Draisaitl’s contract may not be the last piece of business for this summer but nothing else will happen until the deal is done. Yesterday afternoon, we had a tremor.

In the interests of full disclosure, I will tell you that PunjabiOil goes way back with the author of this blog. He has, from time to time, passed along information both privately and publicly to me over the years. If he tells me there is a source that says the deal is close, I’m going to take it seriously. I do think, and have written, that the Oilers prefer the eight-year option.

• Todd McLellan: “I’m confident we’re going to see Leon in an [Oilers] uniform. We want him to be there, he wants to be there, and it’s just a matter of getting a few things done over the summer.” Source

POSSIBLE OPENING NIGHT ROSTER 17-18

• I have moved Leon to center and Nuge to RW as this seems to be the theme of summer. I don’t think it makes a tremendous amount of sense (Nuge is a center, that’s his position and he is good at it. Zooming his numbers to trade him implies opposition general managers aren’t going to figure out McDavid isn’t part of the deal) but since everyone and their cat loves the idea, so be it. The one benefit is that all of the really expensive contracts are in the top 6F with Patrick Maroon.
  • The other item is this: Even with Leon at $8 million (that is my estimate, based on Punjabi Oil’s tweet) and Sekera on the roster, there is still over $5 million in cap! Edmonton could sign or trade for another $3 million bucks and still (imo) have enough for the trade deadline.
  • Riddle me this: What could they add?

STILL AVAILABLE IN FREE AGENCY

• LD Andrei Markov. The Oilers won’t get him for $3 million but Markov is going to help some team and his addition in Edmonton would give the team a substantial boost. Markov is aging but can still play effectively.
  • RD Dennis Wideman. Another older defenseman, Wideman has a terrific shot and would certainly be available for less than $3 million.
  • R Drew Stafford. He had a tough season and is on the wrong side of 30, but Stafford fits the Chiarelli template, should have something left and won’t cost the world.
  • R Jaromir Jagr. The legend remains available for just money. He can help a team but I don’t think it’s going to be Edmonton. I’m curious as to why Calgary hasn’t signed him.

I think the Oilers are done in free agency, signing Jussi Jokinen and Yohann Auvitu put the lid on this year’s edition of hockey’s free market for  Peter Chiarelli. That can only mean one thing: Trade!

TRADE OPTIONS

Vegas Golden Knights are holding on to 10 defensemen and some teams are over the cap, wonder if the Oilers can help while improving the team.

• Toronto Maple Leafs: According to CapFriendly, Toronto is in a world of hurt with the cap and could be a raging inferno if all of the bonuses cash from their brilliant youngsters. The Maple Leafs do have two LTIR possibilities so will likely get relief in that area. Among the players who could help Edmonton? RC Tyler Bozak.
  • Detroit Red Wings: Between NTC’s and strange signings, the Red Wings have both gone over the cap and have not enough to show for it. Weird roster. One player who might be of interest to Edmonton is Mike Green. He has $6 million owing for this year and then hits free agency. PC has a tendency to trade for older players and Green (31) qualifies in the Tomas Kaberle portion of Chiarelli’s team building template.

I don’t think we’re going to see trade activity to be honest, in fact the most likely deal in my opinion would be Griffin Reinhart back to the Oilers for a 2018 pick.

COLLEGE FREE AGENTS

• LHD Teemu Kivihalme, Colorado College. He has been a free agent since July 1. Colorado College coach Mike Haviland: “[Kivihalme] improved defensively from year to year. He came in with offensive skills and skating, but he needed to become better defensively to be trustworthy at the next level.” Source
  • LC Alex Kerfoot, Harvard. He will be a free agent August 15. Shane Malloy, Hockey Prospect Radio: An intelligent puck possession playmaking center who can play on the wing that has good passing ability whether stationary or at speed. Uses the give and go well and can draw defenders to create time and space for his line-mates. Is a quick darting skater with the agility to dodge and roll off defenders. He defensive game has matured once his defensive habits such as an active stick, head on a swivel, taking correct angles became consistent.  Source
  • LC Dominic Toninato, Minnesota-Duluth. He will be a free agent August 15. SBNation: He’s a top line center with the ability to play on the power play and penalty kill. He plays with a physical edge that sometimes goes too far. He’s a decent skater, but will likely move from center to wing at the next level, where he should provide strong, gritty two-way play with the occasional offense chipped in as well. Source
  • LD Will Butcher, Denver. He will be a free agent August 15. Ben Kerr, LWS: Butcher is quick skater. He has excellent speed in both directions. He also has very good acceleration. Butcher has very good vision and the ability to thread the needle on passes both to start the transition game and in setting up plays in the offensive zone. He also has a good shot. While Butcher is a little undersized, and can be overpowered in the defensive zone, he works hard to avoid this making him a defensive liability. Expect Butcher to be NHL ready and push for a spot with whatever team signs him.  Source

Bob Stauffer always says the American kids usually sign with American teams and that does seem to be the case. Kerfoot is from Vancouver, Kivihalme was born in the USA but is Finnish.

CURRENT 50-MAN

• In reality, the Oilers look done. I cannot for the life of me understand why you’d leave the dock with $5 million burning a hole in your pocket (can’t possibly acquire $5 million in players at the deadline, the contracts are basically done).
  • I think we can all name 12F, 7D and 2G, but who are the extra men for opening night? Well, we could see 8 defensemen make the roster, and I do think Ty Rattie and Brad Malone have a chance to break camp with the big team.
  • One player not on this list who could surprise in training camp? Kailer Yamamoto.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 today, TSN1260, we hit the ground running with a full boat. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Where does Bruce stand on Nuge playing with McDavid? What are his thoughts on Todd McLellan’s media avail yesterday?
  • Andy McNamara, TSN1050. NFL camps are opening, the Cowboys are doing unusual things and I believe the Giants are going to win the NFC East.
  • Dan Ukrainetz, Onside CFL Fantasy. Week Six on the way! Where are the bargains?
  • Rob Vollman, ESPN and NHL.com. How much cap room does an NHL team need at the deadline? How are the Oilers doing in Rob’s long-term cap management model?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

77 Responses to "FIVE EASY PIECES"

1. Rondo says:

Who will have the better career Draisaitl or Barkov ?

8m is too much.

2. PunjabiOil says:

Thanks for the shout-out. Just want to clarify I am not an insider. I know a few people employed withy he Oilers but not at the management level. Other than that, I don’t know any more than the next guy.

I am passing on the information that was given to me – someone who has been right on these things in the past (Kris Russell signing, day of Davidson trade). Given the term/dollar amounts passed on, and I’m lead to believe it’s a deal that is close, I passed it on. I don’t have any reason to doubt it, but at the same time I’m not the direct source of this information.

Hopefully it happens soon but a lower price.

We wait.

3. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

If PunjabiOil has the goods I’m very much excited with that contract.

Its high sure, but Drai also has a unique skill set and has done nothing but improve year over year since we drafted him.

This firmly sets him behind Connor in the pecking order but if he goes Supernova we could be looking a value contract in a year or two.

This doesn’t break the bank and the extra million or 1.5 from what we originally heard floated could be Matt Benning’s next contract.

While we debate the merits to death here every person I’ve talked to this summer that I consider intelligent hockey fans have all said the same thing “that’s a pretty scary/good team you’re building up over there.”

Huge praise to Connor which is expected but also lots of glow for the defense and for the composition of the forward corps.

Here’s a pic of Nurse offseason training yesterday.

Guy was deadlifting 585, which on a 6.4 paring of lanky legs is a very impressive amount of weight.

I know its tough after the Decade of Darkness but this is a legitimate team now.

Gentlemen and ladies once that ink is put to paper we can start to get very excited.

4. flea says:

My take? The Oilers org purposely leaks higher numbers then signs the player for a little less. It’s all about the spin. In McDavid’s case, he “wasn’t comfortable with the number”.
    BS! This is just spin by the organization to make Connor and Chiarelli look better. I’m sure it was all planned out.

So I’m expecting the Drai contract to be a little less than $8M if the source is legit. $7.75M x 8.

5. leadfarmer says:

You’d think if Markov had a 5 mil per year offer on the table he’d take it by now. Don’t see a lot of teams lining up to give a guy that’s turning 39 shortly a multi year deal either

6. dustrock says:

I had kind of resigned myself to $8m if Oilers want 8 years. I think it’s an overpay for where Draisaitl ranks in his career, but that’s the way the bouncing ball bounces.

7. HenryDrix says:

I really like the roster as it is. Let’s evaluate after 35-40 games and go from there. Hard to trade or sign new players when the management expects to see improvement from within. They have to be given the chance to show improvement.

Regarding extra cap room, Spending it on Leon is fine with me.

8. N64 says:

dustrock:
    I had kind of resigned myself to $8m if Oilers want 8 years.I think it’s an overpay for where Draisaitl ranks in his career, but that’s the way the bouncing ball bounces.

If it helps any you can always think of it as 7.25M from the Oilers and the .75M 97 deposited for 29 at Gringotts. 😉

9. cowboy bill says:

7.8 x8 is what I expect , Kuznetsov money . But really rounding it up to 8×8 won’t make a huge difference . 1.6 million more over the 8 year term . Maybe it’s something to squabble about ? I don’t know ?
    McDavid took a slight discount .

10. Thinker says:

I don’t think GR comes back. Chia has shown a willingness to admit a mistake. Not publicly, but through his actions. Think Korpikoski buyout and the monster’s demorion last year

11. Glass says:

Given that it is an 8-year deal, I can stomach this dollar amount. Absolute highest I’d be willing to go…

Question about Nuge: What kind of return are we looking for with him? If you are looking to do a Ebs/Strome type deal, which lesser C would you seek out? If we consider selling him for a prospect + pick, who do you consider? If we are selling him for picks, what is fair – 1st + 2nd?

Despite still having this cap space, Nurse, Maroon, Slepyshev, Benning, Caggiula, Brossoit and perhaps Letestu, Jokinen & Strome will be looking for raises.

12. Ivan says:

Hey LT,
    Bet you’re pretty pleased that Tim Raines finally made it to Cooperstown. ‘Bout time, he was such a great player to watch. Next up? Vladdy.

13. Ducey says:

The Oilers are very worried about the Cap in ’18-’19, and they should be. They can’t afford overages from this season.

McDavid will make his full bonus of $2,850,000.

If JP shoots the lights out, he could make a very big portion of his $2,500,000 bonus

Slepy (600K), Cags (450K), Benning (300K), and Nurse (850K) could also make decent portions of theirs. In fact, it would appear that all of these guys are primed for a breakout.

I think LT’s guess of $4 M in bonuses is reasonable, but there is a decent chance it is higher. The Oilers just can’t take that risk. I imagine they are budgeting something like $6M for bonuses so they don’t have an overage.

So the number is $2.5 M left to spend.

As I understand it, if they took on a $5 M contract at the deadline, they are only charged $5 M x 30 games (or so)/ 82 = $1.8 M. So if they don’t spend their $ now, it will work out to a decent sized number by the time the trade deadline comes along.

14. Nuclear leak says:

Vanek would be an attractive 3million add on

15. jm363561 says:

Any long term deal is a leap in the dark, but some leaps are longer than others. Klefbom looks like a steal, but given his injuries and lack of games played the contract was a big leap. McD seems less of a leap as it seems a sure thing. Hall was a win, Nuge and Ebs have been a drag. 8 x $8m is a huge leap given the McD and Lucic contracts, and a big (some might say reckless) gamble on the McDavid years. If we see play off Leon through 2025 it will be amazing; if we see Leon racking up 77 points while having a +/- of just 7 it will not. We wait.

16. stush18 says:

Ducey,

17. Jethro Tull says:

Pretty sweet seeing McD’s image in an Oilers sweater plastered all around that presser in TO yesterday.

18. StixMalone says:

LT get Griffin out of your head! Enough. He signed with Vegas for 3 years. Sail on please….

19. leadfarmer says:

Ducey:

McDavid will make his full bonus of $2,850,000.

Slepy (600K), Cags (450K), Benning (300K), and Nurse (850K)could also make decent portions of theirs. In fact, it would appear that all of these guys are primed for a breakout.

So the number is $2.5 M left to spend.

As I understand it, if they took on a $5 M contract at the deadline, they are only charged $5 M x 30 games (or so)/ 82 = $1.8 M.So if they don’t spend their $ now, it will work out to a decent sized number by the time the trade deadline comes along.

I think it’s very hard for JP, a forward to get schedule B bonuses. Hard to compete for the big awards when you can’t outscored your teammates. McDavid and Drai and maybe others

20. The Trade Guy says:

Markov on a one year 5.5 sounds like a no brainer? If he’ll go for that that is.

21. commonfan29 says:

Source: Drai deal close, 8 X 8M.

I’ve pointed this out before, but the two statements above don’t go together that well.

Either:

1. Our GM is the one stupid one out of 31 because he isn’t correcting for Leon’s McZooming when determining his value; or

2. Our GM is a lot like the others, and giving Nuge a McZooming would shift how other GMs value him.

22. dessert1111 says:

Maybe they’re leaving some room in case they decide to sign Yamamoto at training camp. With bonuses he could theoretically come in over 2 mill. Plus some money in case a player they like doesn’t make another roster, and of course money for the trade deadline.

Doesn’t seem like the normal approach but could just be extreme caution to maintain flexibility. Or he has something cooking.

23. who says:

I like the idea of Drai locked in for 8 years. If it takes 8 mil then so be it. I like that contract much better than the Lucic or Russell contracts.
    Re your potential free agents or trade targets. Don’t think Markov would sign here and have no interest in any of the other free agents. Green is expensive and I doubt if the Leafs would trade Bozak for peanuts.
    I am fine with saving the cap space to add in season if necessary, but let’s give the young guys a half a season to prove themselves before we go looking to add. Don’t see the point in spending money just to get to the cap.

24. Cameron says:

The issue with Jagr and Calgary (and Edmonton) is twofold; taxes, and travel.

He is firmly in the gun-for-hire mercenary stage of his career, and at 45 (!) a palladin”s first priority is $, and 2nd is keeping healthy for amother future payday.

An Easter team with $ space and not much travel would be the order of the day.

Don’t bet against Pittsburgh

Rondo:
    Who willhave the better careerDraisaitl or Barkov ?

8m is too much.

$8 million is a bargain. All his peers are going to be signing for $10. $8.5 million is fair value in the context of McDavid’s contract and the Oilers.

Hall signed for $6 million five years ago. $8 million something is in line with that considering salary cap inflation, and one extra season of duration.

26. digger50 says:

I think you are onto something LT, makes a lot of sense.

Perhaps one of the AHL or tweener pick ups was specifically marked for a Vegas trade. AHL depth, prospect or pick heading to Vegas for ?. Maybe the deal is already made but lying dormant until Leon deal is signed.

27. slopitch says:

I’ll bet a beer Chai adds a player under $2 mill btw now and the end of camp. It could be Markov (I doubt it, hes expensive and Im hearing Florida). Could be a Fayne for Green type deal (I doubt Detroit does that unless they are desperate capwise). But I do think it will be a player with a year left on his contract. I think Chai is just waiting for the price to come down on a player of interest.

28. LostBoy says:

There pretty much has to be some plan for the slack cap space after Leon signs. Otherwise I guess I don’t see what the point of buying out Pouliot this summer was. Why take the heavier cap hit in the future (vs buying him out with only a year left next summer) if you’re not going to use the space you free up in the short term?

29. GMB3 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    If PunjabiOil has the goods I’m very much excited with that contract.

Here’s a pic of Nurse offseason training yesterday.

Isn’t that 495?

30. stush18 says:

godot10: $8 million is a bargain.All his peers are going to be signing for $10.$8.5 million is fair value in the context of McDavid’s contract and the Oilers.

Hall signed for $6 million five years ago.$8 million something is in line with that considering salary cap inflation, and one extra season of duration.

Exactly. He’s taking up similar to what getzlaf did.

Also the amount of top ten scorers at the age of 21 is basically a list of hall of gamers. He’s going to be elite, if he isn’t already

31. Side says:

Cameron:
    The issue with Jagr and Calgary (and Edmonton) is twofold; taxes, and travel.

An Easter team with $ space and not much travel would be the order of the day.

Don’t bet against Pittsburgh

I know some players value money and scenery highly when determining if they want to play for a team.

Not sure why people think Jagr of all people would be that person who would pass up an opportunity to play on young, highly talented teams in poorer climates, over a crappy team in a nicer climate, just because he may make an extra million with the crappy team.

32. Pink Socks says:

I agree, $8m is a great deal for the team, and furthermore, if Drai is taking $8m, it’s the same as McD taking $12.5m. Both deals are far less that what they could have been if the player had the pocketbook as their number one priority.

33. Bag of Pucks says:

Side,

Side, it’s not been well publicized, cos it’s not in the player’s interest for it to be, but Jagr lost a fortune in online gambling debts. It’s one of the core reasons he went to the KHL for the big payday and why he’s a bit of a traveling mercenary. He’s not as rich as a player with his career should’ve been.

34. stush18 says:

I wanted the oilers to try and sign mike green a couple of years ago.

I would enjoy him now.

35. Side says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Side,

Well he’s in luck.

Roger’s Place has a casino attached to it.

It’s a win, win, really.

36. Pink Socks says:

Side: Well he’s in luck.

Roger’s Place has a casino attached to it.

It’s a win, win, really.

I literally spit out coffee. Thank you.

37. jtblack says:

Wideman = Run Away.

Woodguy or someone posted some of his Analytics from last season. He gives new meaning to the Word “Anchor”

38. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

GMB3,

Ah yes it very well could be. Was relying on a buddy who sent me the photo, those are all probably 45s and the sled is probably 50 ya.

That being said I don’t know too many 22 year old’s who can deadlift 495 so I think the general point stands

39. Melman says:

Fun thought: The Sedins are in the last year of their $7M contracts and the Dys are a 100 point Sam Gagner season away from Stanley. Do you keep the cap space available and see if the twins want to have one last run for a cup? How’s that for balance and making the most of 97’s ELC.

40. Thinker says:

Sign Jagr to 5×10, then let him retire with a skin condition as soon as it becomes inconvenient.

41. dustrock says:

Markov apparently going back to KHL, rejected several NHL offers.

Wonder what they’re going to pay Markov to make it worth his while to back to the K.

42. Thinker says:

dustrock:
    Markov apparently going back to KHL, rejected several NHL offers.

He might just want to play with Russia’s olympic team one last time.

43. Pink Socks says:

dustrock:
    Markov apparently going back to KHL, rejected several NHL offers.

He was acting as his own agent this year, I would think because he his potential NHL employment was not much of a negotiation, more of a take it or leave it. The KHL is just going to throw money at him, most likely the $12m for 2 years he asked the Habs for, and his thought process was either someone else in the NHL matches it, or I finish up my career in my home country. Can’t really blame the guy. It will be different playing in front of 3,000 fans rather than in Montreal.

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Its tough to add a contract now because of the 50 contract limit.

Yes, two slides so we are down to 48 but we need to save at least two sports:

1) just in case Talbot goes down for longer than a few weeks. I have full confidence in LB (and Ellis) to handle the normal back role, whether its 15 or 20 games, however, if there needs to be a month of starting, they might need to acquire a goalie; and

2) the obvious deadline acquisition contract room.

The more I think about it, the more I believe this was the reason for the Pouliot buyout.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

flea:

That was absolutely the case with the McDavid contract – the team did a great PR job leading up to that signing.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer:
    You’d think if Markov had a 5 mil per year offer on the table he’d take it by now.Don’t see a lot of teams lining up to give a guy that’s turning 39 shortly a multi year deal either

I think he’s been holding out for a 2-year term – will likely have to come off that “requirement” pretty soon.

47. Pescador says:

dustrock:
    Markov apparently going back to KHL, rejected several NHL offers.

Wonder if he expects to be paid on time, if at all?

48. Pescador says:

Side: Well he’s in luck.

Roger’s Place has a casino attached to it.

It’s a win, win, really.

If you negotiate 50% of a contract in “Casino bucks” ,
    How does that count against the cap?

49. digger50 says:

StixMalone: going

digger50: Pretty sure Griff is moving now that he’s on that friendly contract. He won’t be in the 6 best and he won’t pass through waivers so it should be no surprise if someone picks him up for a third rounder.

51. matt says:

I don’t understand why there is no drive for Jagr given the Strome/JPJ/Slepy depth for the top three lines. People will get injured. Forwards will have down years. Jagr is insurance and points and professionalism that can ooze into a young core. Win now. Pay the man.

The same argument applies to Markov.

52. kosiork says:

Kivihalme is off to Karpat, if my Finnish is as good as I think it is.

Oulun Kärpät‏Verified account @OulunKarpatFi 9h9 hours ago
    #Kärpät #Liiga
    Translated from Finnish by Bing Wrong translation?
    Kärpät defence strengthened Teemu Kivihalmeella! – http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/uutiset/2017/07/27/karppien-puolustus-vahvistuu-teemu-kivihalme-mukaan-tryout-sopimuksella … #Kärpät #Liiga

53. LoDog says:

matt:
    I don’t understand why there is no drive for Jagr given the Strome/JPJ/Slepy depth for the top three lines.People will get injured.Forwards will have down years.Jagr is insurance and points and professionalism that can ooze into a young core.Win now.Pay the man.

The same argument applies to Markov.

I don’t think Jagr has any interest playing in the west especially this northern outpost with the worst travel. Of his 1711 games he has only played 34 with a western conference team (Dallas).

54. geowal says:

Finally caught up to last 2 weeks of posts in time to fall behind tomorrow. Great work on the RE series and everything else.
    I think 8M is high but not intolerably so. Reminds me of the Eberle deal that all felt should have been held down to 5.5 to maintain a gap between he and Hall.
    In this case though there will still be a pretty clear pecking order.

55. Professor Q says:

matt:

The same argument applies to Markov.

I’m not sure they have space, unfortunately?

56. Ducey says:

matt:

The same argument applies to Markov.

Yeah for sure. Chia should pay Jagr and Markov $5 M each. What could possibly be the impediment?

57. Melman says:

LoDog,

He does seem more like a bikini and flip flop guy vs. sunset at 4:00 and an MEC down jacket. Maybe he slides across the state to TB on the cheap?

58. Ducey says:

Professor Q: I’m not sure they have space, unfortunately?

Oh, yeah, that’s the impediment.

kosiork:
    Kivihalme is off to Karpat, if my Finnish is as good as I think it is.

Oulun Kärpät‏Verified account @OulunKarpatFi9h9 hours ago
    MoreKärppien puolustus vahvistuu Teemu Kivihalmeella! – http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/uutiset/2017/07/27/karppien-puolustus-vahvistuu-teemu-kivihalme-mukaan-tryout-sopimuksella
    #Kärpät #Liiga
    Translated from Finnish by Bing Wrong translation?

Thanks for this!

60. Cameron says:

Side: If you were 45 years old, had multimillions in the bank and played the sport out of love, wouldn’t you want to play with the next big thing in the sport, especially knowing you are wayyy past your expiration date? Wouldn’t you want to play on a team full of youth and energy who just had a big breakthrough as a team?

Jagr has pretty clearly been all about the Benjamins while on this mercenary tour (Wsh, NYR, Bos, Pha, NJ, Fla, all Eastern teams, with the exception of 34 games in low tax Dallas), and if he was motivated at all to come to Edmonton (or Calgary) I think we’d have heard something by now.

Also, there is a pretty good team, with some pretty good players, in Pittsburgh, where there is an open spot on RW, where he has a long history, and a relationship with the owner. If he were to sign a cheapo deal to win a cup, that’d be my guess.

61. kosiork says:

Sure thing. After 10 years of reading I am happy to contribute. 🙂

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Agreed. I think PC would be willing to trade for him and also believe Reinhart would have a good chance to make the Oilers this fall.

In isolation, a trade like that could be a decent deal for the Oilers. In reality, if PC was to send away additional draft picks/assets for Griff, the vitrol from the fan-base would be awful – I’d have to stay away from reading all the blogs (and I read them all) – I’m sick of hearing about the initial acquisition cost for Griff let alone if we add to it.

63. thehop says:

If we can get Dirty Drai locked up for 8×8, we should all be grateful. And I say this being certain that godot is right that this will be the baseline going forward for young player who impact the game at the age of 21.

64. GMB3 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    GMB3,

Not to be an asshole but I bet 90% of college football players can and do. Plenty of guys I’ve played baseball with (myself included) have done it. Just saying it’s not that huge of an achievement for an athlete. Regardless, it is nice to see he is working hard

65. Professor Q says:

Actually, his peers are signing $7 to $7.8 million dollar 8-year contracts.

66. GMB3 says:

thehop: This is how everyone should be viewing this contract negotiation. I don’t mean to generalize and I respect the differences f opinion but the game changed somewhere between the Gaudreau and McDavid contracts.

Until Drai puts up 60 points centering his own line, and every GM points to how bloated contracts like that affect the teams ability to compete. Keep in mind if any other 21 year old centres put up 77 points they probably won’t be the beneficiaries of playing with a guy like McDavid either. Didnt LT write that his P/60 without McDavid were at a second line level?

67. GMB3 says:

Professor Q: Actually, his peers are signing $7 to $7.8 million dollar 8-year contracts.

Preach. Whats Kucherovs contract? And do people actually think Drai has done more to deserve more money than Vladimir Tarasenko?

68. Cassandra says:

There is no evidence this is true. This very offseason a similar player to Draisatl, with significantly fewer RFA years remaining, signed a longterm deal for less than eight million.

Why does every other team in the league get an RFA discount except the Oilers?

69. thehop says:

Cassandra,

It’s been around for ten years… I hate to write this but…

#becauseoilers

You know it’s true and I don’t care to dig for evidence to prove otherwise. Ten years of the same shit is enough for me.

70. thehop says:

GMB3,

And your point is that his point total is largely tied to being McDavid’s wingman? Or is inflated by this fact? Tell me something I didn’t know. The guy is a player and worth every penny at 8×8. If he signs that contract I’m going to church on Sunday to thank the almighty.

71. GMB3 says:

thehop:
    GMB3,

Please tell me something I don’t know, which is an actual example of his track record compared to other players his age who produced similar numbers while playing with the best offensive player in the NHL….

72. Munny says:

Five Easy Pieces…

If any of you haven’t seen this movie, please do.

I don’t think director Rafelson has a clue about what he’s doing as Nicholson appears to be largely unfettered in his role (always a dangerous thing with Jack), however… Nicholson’s ability to switch between internal and external modes of acting is perfect for this role and perfect for Chopin, who is the real star of the film. Listening to Rubenstein play Chopin is much like watching Jack employ his inside-outside acting tricks.

I would be totally okay with a Chopin RE one day lol.

LT, I’m with you on the Nuge at RW proposal. I don’t see much point in it either.

73. Optimism is like heroin says:

GMB3,

best comparable with those parameters is Malkin, he played alot of wing in his early years with Crosby. His 2nd contract was 8.7 over 5 years. One caveat here is when malkin signed his contract there was 3 years of history already.

74. thehop says:

GMB3,

Be my guest.. I have better things to do but I suspect whatever you uncover, should you choose to accept the mission, would be valuable to the conversation.

I love RNH.. I think he’s a big part of the team going forward as well.

My point is…

Draisaitl is a great hockey player, he’s 21 and if the Oilers can sign him and McDavid for the better part of a decade for under 21 mil a year, I make that deal all day everyday.

Besides it’s Katz’s money… who cares

75. thehop says:

GMB3: Didnt RNH produce significantly more points when playing with Taylor Hall? Offense dips, contract seems a bit rich, and all the size queens in oilgosphere think he’s irrelevant to the team.

Seriously though… get on that list of players. I heard Woodguy was good at that stuff. Give him a shout😊

76. GMB3 says:

Optimism is like heroin:
    GMB3,

best comparable with those parameters is Malkin, he played alot of wing in his early years with Crosby.His 2nd contract was 8.7 over 5 years.One caveat here is when malkin signed his contract there was 3 years of history already.

Even still, I’m pretty sure Malkin played half the minutes with Crosby as Drai did with McDavid, and only his first season, and it went down from there. I just don’t see Drai being as good as Malkin, and his wowy’s without McDavid support this imo

77. Admiral Ackbar says: