THE KIDS

This coming week, my RE series tackles the future. In three posts, I’ll project Drake Caggiula, Jesse Puljujarvi and Anton Slepyshev. These men are not applying for exactly the same spot in the batting order, but there are many similarities. A check of the birth certificates tells us the long-term (likely) winner, but what about this season?

WOWY 97

• Drake Caggiula with 97: 1-2-3 in 67 minutes (2.68 5×5/60 scoring) 52.5 CF5x5/60
  • Drake Caggiula w/o 97: 4-4-8 in 567 minutes (0.85 5×5/60 scoring) 47.2 CF5x5/60
  • Source

Caggiula’s most common linemates were Anton Slepyshev, Benoit Pouliot, Zack Kassian, Milan Lucic and Mark Letestu. The advantage of playing him with Connor McDavid is increased balance on the roster (Leon can play on a 2line that suddenly becomes far more dangerous). The disadvantage is that he’s in a contract year. He is 23, his time to establish an NHL career is now.

• Anton Slepyshev with 97: 1-1-2 in 22 minutes (5.49 5×5/60 scoring) 41.9 CF5x5/60
  • Anton Slepyshev w/o 97: 3-5-8 in 406 minutes (1.13 5×5/60 scoring) 46.2 CF5x5/60
  • Source

Slepyshev is in the same career spot (23) and his scoring numbers without CMD are more encouraging. His most common linemates were Drake Caggiula, Milan Lucic and Leon Draisaitl. Slepyshev went 3-2-5 in 110 minutes 5×5 with Leon, there appears to be chemistry there (small sample size alert).

• Jesse Puljujarvi with 97: 0-4-4 in 84 minutes (2.86 5×5/60 scoring) (53.8 CF5x5/60)
  • Jesse Puljujarvi w/o 97: 0-2-2 in 204 minutes (0.59 5×5/60 scoring) (53.0 CF5x5/60)
  • Source

There are a few things we can say about these players based on the numbers aboe:

• None of the three scored well away from Connor McDavid. The best offense came from Slepyshev while playing alongside Leon Draisaitl (feature role) and some of that could have been with  97 on the line.
  • The most important number is 18, Jesse Puljujarvi’s age when he was playing NHL hockey one year ago. He’s going to improve, the other two men will acclimate but their actual skill set is mature.
  • Both Caggiula and Slepyshev are in their contract seasons, Puljujarvi could cash some or most of a $2.5 million bonus if he plays with McDavid this winter. All of these men could be more expensive if playing extended time with 97.
  • Slepyshev (7.37) and Puljujarvi (7.27) basically tied in 5×5 shots per 60 a year ago, Drake Caggiula (6.24) trailed by some margin.
  • Caggiula and McDavid 4×5 looked good together.

I have my RE numbers and have established where each of these men are best deployed in the coming season. I have none of them playing a massive amount with Connor McDavid. What about you? Is there one among this group you believe should be on 97’s wing opening night and stay there?

LEON

Nothing new on the Leon front, these slow days of summer waiting remind me of the 1980’s. I have resisted saying anything about the agent’s ploy because maybe it works and then Mike Liut looks like a genius. Ask 100 hockey fans who follow these things about the gap and probably 75 of them tell you Leon is on an island with no way back to shore. That isn’t Mike Liut’s game. He isn’t worried about 75 out of 100, he is focused on one man: Peter Chiarelli. Based on PC’s own past this could go any way imaginable.

WORLD SUMMER SHOWCASE

Kailer Yamamoto had three shots in his first game for TEAM USA at the World Junior Summer Showcase. Lots of comments suggesting he is one of the best American forwards, bodes well for his chances of making the roster at Christmas.

HABS OS?

I’ve read here and there about Montreal going after Leon and it makes a lot of sense from the Habs pov. They are a veteran team primed for a run behind Carey Price, but also have some legit roster issues. The addition of Draisaitl in the middle would solve a lot of problems.

I do not see an offer sheet, but there might be a trade window. Peter Chiarelli’s handling of the Phil Kessel situation in September of 2009 involved getting two firsts and a second. I don’t see any way he deals LD for just picks, but if the player side indicates they have reached a point of no return, perhaps we do see something with Montreal. Note: We are not there now, extremely unlikely Leon ends up anywhere but Edmonton.

51 Responses to "THE KIDS"

1. flyfish1168 says:

I looked over the Canadiens roster. I don’t feel they are a good fit for a trade for Leon. I would like players back versus just draft picks. I see Arizona or Buffalo as a better fit to work out as trade. JMHO

2. jm363561 says:

I was no fan of Caggs at C but, on the wing, in the last 15 games of the regular season, and in the play offs, he looked a player (watching one of the San Jose games I can recall my Rangers supporting buddy commenting that Caggs looked “ten fucking times better” than Eberle). Steps also looked good in the play offs. Small sample sizes for sure but there is hope that both will be top nine wings and just possibly one might be Connor’s shooter. Both players need an extended run in their best position.

Overall Caggiula: 73gp, 10-11-21
    First 45 games: 4-6-10
    Ended the season 28gp, 6-5-11. (including playoffs)

4. Soup Fascist says:

Why does it seem the the Oilers never take advantage of the RFA status of their players and willingly pay through the nose for 2nd contracts? Hall, Nuge and Ebs all were given long term $6M deals – arguably only Hall covered that bet. Now the assumption is that Drai is in the driver’s seat in these talks. Why? Under this CBA, the team still has a bit of a hammer for 2nd contracts.

I am sure this is not strictly true, but it seems like as an organization this team happily parts with its money and cap space to re up talented players with relatively short durations of good to very good play, way more often than other teams. Connor is on another planet. I have no concerns with the money and max term.

But Drai is another kettle of fish. I like the player but the 3rd contract is where he will hold the cards. If he is the goods fine. But I think to gift the guy huge money while only buying 3 years max of UFA years is not smart given the cap. The comparable dollar Johansen and Kuznetsov contracts bought a lot of UFA years up. I hope Chiarelli stands more firm than his predecessors- $8M or more a year will make for a lot of landmines to dodge over the next couple of years.

5. Scungilli Slushy says:

I wonder if a player’s agent affects deployment. If you know the agent is reasonable use the player anyway. If he’s going to grind you more because Connor and/or the PP zoomed his guy that player gets no where near points he doesn’t gut out himself in a contract year.

Slepy’s numbers are strange and worrying. He seems to have the best non CND linemates and his possession numbers are very poor.

JP’s are the opposite, but given age the possession numbers are great, offense will come.

6. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! Shep/Cag/Pool with McD on small sample size are all reasons why I don’t believe Maroon is all that. I think that’s the template going forward: decent wingers for McD that are cheap

– This allows team to spend elsewhere. Right now Maroon is a decent winger that is cheap.

– The dream would be Kailer-McD-Pool, from an economics view in 2 years. If it worked.

– Lots of wingers should pot 20 with McD:

– The marginal utility for an additional 5-10 goals is not optimal financially IMO

7. John Chambers says:

Soup Fascist,

The Oilers (and their fans) were at one point terribly insecure about players not wanting to stay or build their careers in Edmonton. With the Hall cluster we were all very pleased that Hall and Ebs were going to be spending their 20’s as Oilers, after the cold rejections of Hosea and Heatley.

But that should no longer be the mindset of the organization or fans. Players want to play here; we no longer should feel that we’re “lucky” to have these athletes – they need Edmonton and the Oilers.

Chiarelli of course knows this and isn’t folding in the discussion with Liut as his predecessors likely would’ve.

8. flyfish1168 says:

John Chambers:
    Soup Fascist,

I agree with you that players would like to play here. Unfortunately as Oiler fans we have experienced the spousal vetoing power.

9. trencan says:

Sorry, a little bit off topic. Congrats to Rej, he just married, very nice wife http://www.tvnoviny.sk/sport/hokej/1880327_po-marianovi-gaborikovi-dal-dnes-hlavu-do-chomuta-dalsi-slavny-slovensky-hokejista

And here is also short interview with him if anyone interested. https://sport.sme.sk/c/20614075/sekera-nasa-vlada-sa-nepostara-o-ludi-nieto-o-sport.html

10. russ99 says:

I’m not worried about Leon.

If that leak is the range, all that remains is hammering out the details. An 8 year deal is tricky, when the agent is trying to squeeze early dollars, and the GM would prefer an increasing scale.

Besides, who does Montreal have to give us that’s close to value? The play would have been Subban.

Not at all interested in hearing about a 3 for 1 or a draft pick deal sending away Drai and badly losing the deal just cause you guys want cap room to keep your favorites.

I posted this at Nation, and so I’ll post it here:

I like the idea of having many young players in RFA contract years at the same time. It’s a “show me” year and Chiarelli will find out who deserves extensions and who doesn’t.

At worst, next summer we will have to move a kid like the Blackhawks did at the cap and either bring in a prospect to fill in or sign a cheap veteran akin to Jokinen..

11. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Sometimes I feel I’m the only one NOT worried about the Leon contract.

Chia will get it done (reasonably so) in time for, dare I say, training camp.

12. Soup Fascist says:

trencan,

If your kids need motivation to work a little harder in practice, the new Mrs. Sekera is Exhibit A.

Oy vey.

13. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

trencan,

– Yak, Ebs and Hall: they would not be described this way…

14. Soup Fascist says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    trencan,

– Thanks for this.I like in the interview, he says “We helped arrive with Milan Lucic and Patrick Maroon, who brought hardness, simplicity and purposefulness to the team. They go into the goal, they are big and hard to put off from the puck”

– Yak, Ebs and Hall: they would not be described this way…

15. pocession charge says:

Soup Fascist: In fairness to Hall he never lacked the will to go to the net with the puck. I really don’t want to start the Hall debate again – far from it – but despite whatever shortcomings the guy did have – taking the puck to the net with purpose was not one of them.

Sure, he would drive the net. But he is/was very easy to knock off the puck. That’s the book on Hall — hit him in the upper body around his chest and he goes down.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

Is Yamamoto not essentially a lock for the US WJCH team?

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Overall Caggiula: 73gp, 10-11-21
    First 45 games: 4-6-10
    Ended the season 28gp, 6-5-11.(including playoffs)

Yup, playing Drake at C was one of Coach Todd’s biggest failures last year. I mean, the kid was a winger in college and coming off a 6 week injury with 0 NHL games on his resume and the coach starts him in the middle? That experiment was bound to fail. Only plus is that he now has some NHL center experience. Things are not going well if Drake is in the middle this year.

18. jtblack says:

Marc Bergervin has done a poor job in my eyes. He chose his coach over PK, then fired his coach. In the PK trade he lost 4 years of usefulness, thus handcuffing the future GM … He has had lots of transactions and little impact. I do not think there is a worry about Drai going anywhere …

The young guns .. hmmmm…. We need 1 of 3 to have a big uptick ( most likely JP) … Sleppy and Caggs should see modest improvement as they are more comfortable …

When does actual Training Camp start? Early Sept?

19. leadfarmer says:

I think Slepy has a very good chance to end up on McDavids wing. That line will get matched hard on away games meaning that is not a soft landing spot for Poolparty. We have been talking about a first person shooter for McDavids wing and Slepy currently has the best shot out of the bunch. Given some of the bigger teams playing dirty with McDavid Slepy has the size to step in that Caligula doesn’t.

20. Soup Fascist says:

leadfarmer:
    I think Slepy has a very good chance to end up on McDavids wing.That line will get matched hard on away games meaning that is not a soft landing spot for Poolparty.We have been talking about a first person shooter for McDavids wing and Slepy currently has the best shot out of the bunch.Given some of the bigger teams playing dirty with McDavid Slepy has the size to step in that Caligula doesn’t.

The other consideration for who plays with McD should be “who doesn’t have an expiring contract”.

21. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

1 out of 3 ain’t bad. It wasn’t a comment on Hall persee, rather the composition and philosophy of the wingers and playing style circa MacT vs Chia. I blieve Chia has the right approach

22. digger50 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    trencan,

– Yak, Ebs and Hall: they would not be described this way…

You can make one point without the other

Is there ever a day where you don’t feel the need to put someone down?

23. digger50 says:

pocession charge: Sure, he would drive the net.But he is/was very easy to knock off the puck.That’s the book on Hall — hit him in the upper body around his chest and he goes down.

Nonsense

24. Centre of attention says:

Brian Wilde, Habs writer beating the Nugent Hopkins drum.

I don’t think the Habs have what we would want in a Draisaitl trade. Nuge is a different story though. And their media talk about Nuge all the time.

He describes in the article (via google translate) that Nuge is the most likely as well as the option that makes the most sense for the Habs to acquire.

I wonder what a Nuge to the Habs trade would look like. I won’t even bother guessing because someone will call it either way too much or not enough pieces haha.

25. pocession charge says:

digger50: Nonsense

Take your blinders off. The guy was on his ass a lot.

26. pocession charge says:

Centre of attention:

Brian Wilde, Habs writer beating the Nugent Hopkins drum.

It would have to be their best prospect(s) and draft picks….unfortunately. The Oilers can’t take cap in return.

27. leadfarmer says:

This Conor Sheary contract is what but players playing alongside generational players should get. That’s why this Maroon at 4.5 per year is just crazy

28. Shane says:

pocession charge: Take your blinders off.The guy was on his ass a lot.

29. Johnny Larue says:

OriginalPouzar,

You have to play with the cards you are dealt . Drake wasn’t great at center but this allowed TMac to play Leon on the wing with Connor. Hard to argue with the overall results.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Johnny Larue:
    OriginalPouzar,

Either way, I really don’t see any scenario where an undersized rookie pro winger coming off a 6-week injury to star his pro career should be asked to play 3C in the NHL. He didn’t do well but did admiral given he was set up to fail.

31. jtblack says:

I hope JP changes numbers this year … #98 just didnt fly with me. Too close to 99? 97? Not sure. Just hope he switches.

32. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar,

Either way, I really don’t see any scenario where an undersized rookie pro winger coming off a 6-week injury to star his pro career should be asked to play 3C in the NHL. – ….

Even better was asking an 18 yr old Draisatl to step in and play 2C. Then act somewhat perplexed when it didnt work 😉

33. Side says:

jtblack:
    I hope JP changes numbers this year … #98 just didnt fly with me. Too close to 99?97?Not sure.Just hope he switches.

I hope he doesn’t. 98 is fine. Gretzky and McDavid aren’t the only ones allowed to pick in the 90’s.

34. Thinker says:

Montreal has nothing in the way of players to make a draisaitl move make sense as a hockey trade. Unless they are trading Price, but I didn’t realize he is 29 already, so maybe not even that works.

35. Thinker says:

The only things that I would actually want off the habs roster are Drouin, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Alzner, or Petry. Alzner, Drouin and Galchenyuk just signed, so they aren’t going anywhere. Petry is only worth a 2nd and a 5th, not nuge. Pacioretty is a really good player with two years left at 4.5. I doubt they are willing to move him though, and he plays LW, which we are pretty well set on. If Sergachev wasn’t already moved, I think there may have been a possible deal, but they have almost nothing of value right now. Of course, that didn’t stop the Eberle trade, so expect Nuge for Gallagher straight across.

Thinker:

I like Price plenty, that new contract is difficult.

37. jtblack says:

20 Yr Old McD @ $12.5 SUPREME VALUE vs 30 Yr old Price @ $10.5

38. Thinker says:

OriginalPouzar: Well, the actuall numbers show that Eberle and McDavid produced just as much as Leon and McDavid (as far as ES P/60).

What were the perceived numbers though? I can’t stand people who interfere with the narrative!!!

39. leadfarmer says:

Thinker,

Yuck. I think we have the undersized forward thing covered. I would rather just give Nuge away for a draft pick and just use that cap space on someone else then to use almost 4 mil on Gallagher

40. Professor Q says:

jtblack:

He can’t change when he was born.

41. Thinker says:

leadfarmer:
    Thinker,

Yuck.I think we have the undersized forward thing covered.I would rather just give Nuge away for a draft pick and just use that cap space on someone else then to use almost 4 mil on Gallagher

What about an undersized forward who just played the worst season since his rookie season, but is deemed fiesty?

42. LadiesloveSmid says:

Thinker,

I rather like Gallagher.

If EDM could get a tough minutes 3C, I’d do RNH for Gallagher

Pacorietty would be the key player, but you probably want a young player under control. Montreal would possibly need to go find that player.

44. Bruce McCurdy says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Thanks for this. I like in the interview, he says “We helped arrive with Milan Lucic and Patrick Maroon, who brought hardness, simplicity and purposefulness to the team. They go into the goal, they are big and hard to put off from the puck”

Leaving individual names aside, “hardness, simplicity and purposefulness” are not words commonly used to describe the Oilers during the pre-Chia era. Those attributes were a desperate shortcoming of the team for years. Chiarelli addressed it in principle the day he was hired, and in practice over the months that followed. The results aren’t always pretty, but not as ugly as being bottom three in the standings every GD year.

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    trencan,

– Yak, Ebs and Hall: they would not be described this way…

Joey Mullen (a.k.a. Eberle clone) played on all those Flames teams in the eighties. Fletcher surrounded him and Loob with big players who were hard and simple.

Gretzky and Kurri were not hard and simple. Sather got other players rather than expect them to be something that they are not.

godot10: It is not Hall’s, nor Eberle’s, nor even Yakupov’s fault for the lack of players on the OIlers with hardness and simplicity.

Joey Mullen (a.k.a. Eberle clone) played on all those Flames teams in the eighties.Fletcher surrounded him and Loob with big players who were hard and simple.

Gretzky and Kurri were not hard and simple.Sather got other players rather than expect them to be something that they are not.

Balance. Whitey had seven jackrabbits in the lineup every night for the Cards, but he knew Jack Clark was required in the cleanup spot to drive them all in.

47. leadfarmer says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Thinker,

I rather like Gallagher.

If EDM could get a tough minutes 3C, I’d do RNH for Gallagher

Who is this 3c you speak of?

Our future salary cap issues will prevent us from being able to afford almost 4 mil per for a bottom 6 winger and he’s not good enough for top 6

48. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:
    OriginalPouzar,

Even better was asking an 18 yr old Draisatlto step in and play 2C.Then act somewhat perplexed when it didnt work

but Drai was actually a center – Drake was (is) a winger.

49. Jaxon says:

I could see Nugent-Hopkins for Gallagher (4 x $3.75M). They might be able to throw in Habs 2nd round pick for Oilers 3rd round pick to even it up a bit. But as we’ve seen with Hall and Eberle, it would most likely be a Nuge for Gallagher straight across deal. I actually don’t mind that deal. I could also see a Nuge for Charlie Coyle (3 x $3.2M) deal. Boone Jenner (1 x $2.9M RFA) or David Savard (4 x $4.25M) in CBJ would work too. Or one of Rask (5 x $4.0M), Faulk Faulk (3 x $4.833M), Pesce (1 x $0.809M) or Van Riemsdyk (1 x $0.825M RFA) in CAR. Gudbranson (1 x $3.5M UFA) in VAN may work if they allow EDM to talk to him about a new contract prior to making a trade.

Thinker:

50. Thinker says:

Jaxon:
    I could see Nugent-Hopkins for Gallagher. They might be able to throw in Habs 2nd round pick for Oilers 3rd round pick to even it up a bit. But as we’ve seen with Hall and Eberle, it would most likely be a Nuge for Gallagher straight across deal. I actually don’t mind that deal. I could also see a Nuge for Charlie Coyle deal. Boone Jenner or David Savard in CBJ would work too. Or one of Rask, Faulk, Pesce or Van Riemsdyk in CAR. Gudbranson in VAN may work if they allow EDM to talk to him about a new contract prior to making a trade.

51. Jaxon says:

Thinker: Difference is that Nugent-Hopkins is not a problem like Eberle was at his contract. And they aren’t desperate to fill a hole like they were with Hall. Nuge is valuable as an all around player, and it seems like he is a character guy by all reports

Don’t get me wrong. I like Nuge and I think he’s a great player, even at $6M. He may not be a problem but his contract may become one next summer. They’ll need to shed some salary, so saving $2-2.5 million or more by trading him for one of those very useful players make sense. A true 3C, a possible 1-2RW and a 1-2RD cost controlled at an appropriate at $3-$4M would be very valuable to the Oilers.