RE 17-18 DRAKE CAGGIULA: ALL MY LIFE

Drake Caggiula signed with the Edmonton Oilers in the spring of 2016, with the team on the upswing and in need of fast forwards with skill. His rookie pro season was a success, as he avoided the minors and improved as the season wore along. As he enters his second season, Todd McLellan knows he has a player with impressive utility and range. The question for Caggiula surrounds deployment. Where will he play? (All My Life).

DRAKE CAGGIULA 2016-17

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.04 (11th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.25 (5th among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 47.8
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: -2.0
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 38.7
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: -10.6 (23 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 93 shots/7.5%
  • Boxcars: 60gp, 7-11-18
  • (All numbers via Puck IQStats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)

RE 17-18: 70GP, 12-10-22 (.314)

1. Your RE answers nothing! I gave you my reasonable expectation.
  2. You have Puljujarvi, Slepyshev and Caggiula bunched together! Yes. The player who will emerge as the most prominent isn’t clear to me, so I hedged the bet on all three.
  3. Useless! Reasonable.
  4. Why do you favor Puljujarvi? Based on what we know, and that could change before camp, the Oilers plan on giving the young Finn every chance to emerge as a top-six winger. It’s important, because JP has already backed up the depth chart a little. Need that guy (Puljujarvi) to get his feet on the ground this season.
  5. What if JP doesn’t flourish early? I think he gets the full season. Seriously.
  6. Where does Caggiula fit in? Ah, that is the question. I have him starting 4L and then getting plenty of PK work, but that could change and he may play in some prominent spots if some other kids struggle.
  7. What is he? I go back to what Ron Hextall (Flyers GM) told us before Caggiula signed with the Oilers. “He’s got speed, he plays hard, he has a lot of good attributes.  He’s got a shot at being a top six (player) based on his ability. He’s not the biggest player, but he plays hard.”
  8. Will he score enough? That is the question for all of these young forwards who spent at least some time in the NHL this past season.
  9. Would you be shocked if Caggiula won the RW job next to McDavid? Yes. He played well with skill, scored 1-2-3 in 67 minutes with 97, but everyone plays well with McDavid. He was 2-1-3 with Leon (probably some overlap there) and had two points in about an hour with both Nuge and Eberle.
  10. Can he play center? I don’t believe that will be the position people remember him playing.
  11. Why can’t you be more clear on these kids? I want to know who wins! Long term, bet pedigree. That’s Puljujarvi.
  12. There’s no separation? Without McDavid, the three players we are discussing scored this way: Anton Slepyshev (1.13); Drake Caggiula (0.85); Jesse Puljujarvi (0.59).
  13. Oh. Yeah.
  14. Play a lot on PK? He played less than 50 minutes total, but Caggiula’s shots-against per 60 was solid and perhaps that’s something he can continue. He was on the ice with McDavid and that has to help. Dangerous for opponents too, they had several fantastic 4×5 looks.
  15. Will he play LW or RW? I have him LW, he loses playing time to Jussi Jokinen I think, although Todd McLellan hits shuffle like mad.
  16. Have you seen this kind of battle before? Oh God yes. I’ve seen Oilers forward battles like this many times. Esa Tikkanen and Raimo Summanen in 1985-86 were looking for similar real estate, Toddy Marchant and Dean McAmmond were looking for the same spot for a time, Mike Comrie and Shawn Horcoff jockeyed for position as rookies, Marc Pouliot and Kyle Brodziak. Sometimes they arrive four at a time (Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Omark) and you lose some along the way.
  17. Has there ever been a period where two rookies emerged at the same time and were wildly successful? Jari Kurri and Glenn Anderson emerged in the same year as RWers of tremendous ability but we’re not looking at that scenario here.
  18. Final time I’ll ask: Can you give your general feeling about these three players? I think my opinion of all three is clouded by my frustration over Jesse Puljujarvi. By eye he’s a power forward with 30-goal potential, by number he is not suggesting that kind of prediction is reasonable. That lack of offense brings the other two into the picture.
  19. The other two? I think Slepyshev is the better bet as a scorer, he was a pretty good offensive winger the year before he was drafted and those 15 KHL goals in 2014-15 were impressive.
  20. Caggiula the least likely to succeed? Yes, but that implies I see him as a poor bet and that is not the case. I think he could have a successful career, all three can have NHL careers.
  21. Just not as Oilers? Exactly. One is Jason Chimera, one is Fernando Pisani and one is Dan Lacouture (as an example). I can’t identify the winner from here, maybe they all work out. I will say offense is their collective weakness and all seem to have at least some value as two-way players. That’s a nice combination.
  22. Why this song? It speaks to opportunity, not letting these moments in time go to waste. There are so many big things that happen to us when we’re 23, and they impact the rest of our lives in a major way. Drake Caggiula has a chance. What an amazing opportunity. I hope he makes it.

CURRENT RE FORWARDS 2017-18

We have one forward to go in my RE. Last year’s Oilers forwards played 984 games (that is the correct number btw) and scored 208 goals, 295 assists. Final forward tomorrow.

14 Responses to "RE 17-18 DRAKE CAGGIULA: ALL MY LIFE"

1. jtblack says:

Your chart looks way better!!

You have Cagguila producing the exact same as last year. I have to disagree, one year of experience in the NHL is huge and he should be able to understand better how to get to the right spots to score.

I also noticed that you have the team scoring more goals. I hope you are right anywhere near the same amount as last year will be just fine with me.

You have 12 Oiler forwards with 10+ Goals. Did any team have that many last year? The Oilers had seven last year.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Looking forward to Drake breaking camp with the team and not having to rehab an injury.

He has speed and tenacity so I do see increased PK time from him.

I have no idea where he plays ES but, if he sticks on the left wing, he’s got three veterans ahead of him so that’s likely a tell.

OriginalPouzar:

He has speed and tenacity so I do see increased PK time from him.

That’s how I saw it, although injuries will impact and Jokinen can move around.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Drake get some time early on 1RW – he had offensive success in a very small sample size with McDavid last year and the two can be consistent together, it opens up Drai for 2C which is, obviously, preferred.

Then again, JP also had nice fancies in a small sample size with 97.

5. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Thanks for these, LT.
    I am much more curious about the D this year than the forwards. I think the forwards are largely going to be in the ballpark.

What does the D look like without Sekera for half the year?

6. jm363561 says:

If you are projecting Cagguila to play W it would have been very useful to break out his numbers last year. He looked lost as a C and contributed little beyond responsible defence, but once he moved to W he looked a player – last 14 games 3-5-8, and 3 goals in the playoffs. I have also seen stats that suggest he was outstanding on the PK.

I have always liked him but not at C. I think he will do well.

jm363561:

I have always liked him but not at C. I think he will do well.

8. jm363561 says:

Lowetide: The issue for me isn’t just center, he was also not 100 percent early and that was a period when he was playing center. I don’t think he’ll be a center in the NHL (as I mentioned above), but if Caggiula can find a way to a skill line I think he’ll score enough. The problem is getting past Puljujarvi and Slepyshev.

jm363561: Yup, the REs for these guys are a crap shoot depending on where they play, and with who. I keep waiting for someone to suggest four scoring lines with Strome, Caggs and Letestu as the bottom line. All this potential! Difficult to handle!

Haha. True. Boyd Gordon’s RE was so easy!

10. OriginalPouzar says:

One of the biggest coaching head-scratchers for me last year was playing Drake at C.

Firstly, he was a winger in college, not a center.

Secondly, he was not only a rookie NHLer but a rookie pro.

Thirdly, he was coming off a 6-week injury.

That usage simply set up Drake to fail.

11. commonfan29 says:

I can’t shake the image in my mind’s eye of Drake and McD looking absolutely lethal on a few rushes together.

Does that mean anything? Probably not.

I still can’t shake it.

12. jeetz says:

If the Oilers had

Cagguila Letestu Kassian

As a 4th line, they could conceivably take over as the 3rd line as the season goes on. There is offense there.

13. trencan says:

This year there is so much vesatility in the roster, that I think it is impossible to predict line ups. There are only two certain positions – C#1 and GK#1. The rest you can rotate based on actual situation and need. I believe it is amazing for our coach who loves it.

Allways when I look on the player I allways ask myself where do I see him in next 2/3 years. Whether he has future with this club and how to develope him. I see Drake as LW and this is position where we are missing top prospects for the future. This year he will play mostly as bottom six forward, but next year his position can dramatically change, based on contract talks with Maroon. If Pat will ask for too long contract with NTC or short term with too much money I would let him go. And with Drai & 97 contracts we will need value contract wingers. So in my opinion he has a good chance to be a part of speedy first line up with skills in the future –

Caggiulla – 97 – Yamamoto
    Lucic – 29 – Puljujarva
    ??? – Strome – Kassian/Slepyshev (only one of them will do it)

14. Revolved says:

I think that all three of our young RWs suffered from a similar issue. Outside of McDavid, we had no effective offensive option at C last year. This hurt all of their P/60 badly.

I am the least concerned with Puljujarvi, as his possession numbers were very strong for a teenage rookie. The issue I have with Caggiula and Slepyshev is that their possession and scoring numbers were weak away from McDavid.

You always frame your thoughts well, LT. I think reasonable are good bets to make, but I think what your foil really wants to know is who you think kicks reasonable in the ass next year? Caggiula and Slepyshev both did it last year, but can they again?

I will place my bet on Slepyshev taking more minutes with McDavid than you project and blowing away his RE. I will also guess for Gambardella more than doubling your expected games played. If you had to pick the over shooters?