MORE BRUINIZATION?

If you want the God’s honest I wasn’t the least surprised to see Milan Lucic arrive in Edmonton as an Oiler. He is a unique player, Peter Chiarelli’s first media avail mentioned “hard” and “heavy” more often than an AC/DC lyric. However, my second choice, after Lucic, would not have been David Pastrnak.

The Boston Bruins would be flat out nuts to trade David Pastrnak and frankly I very much doubt it happens. If he is available, it behooves Peter Chiarelli to pursue a trade with extreme prejudice. Pastrnak as first-person shooter on McDavid’s line would be epic. The Bruins player I thought Chiarelli would acquire? David Krejci. However, the big ticket contract and flagging production probably disqualifies a deal (not to mention the NMC). Dealing for Krejci now would probably take Nuge, and set up something close to a Rick Middleton-for-Ken Hodge future (possibly).

STROME GONE WILD!!

I see people talking about the Ryan Strome 70-point projection and wonder why there’s such an uproar. Above you see my RE projections for forwards, which is far different than The Forecaster (I think it’s the Forecaster) and what they’re trying to do.

My projections are based on Connor McDavid playing 70 percent of his season with Leon Draisaitl, about 60 with Patrick Maroon (no time on No. 1 PP for Maroon), and then the rest with Strome, Lucic and Nuge. Maybe a little for Jokinen. It’s a giant hedge from scorers No. 3 through No. 7.

The Forecaster can’t do that, they have to make a decision and it’s important they get it right. They could be wrong, but credit them for having the courage of their convictions. I don’t envy them and sure as hell won’t mock them. Tough thing to do, mind reading. Me, I’d try to figure out what the coach trusts and then go with that projection.

PROJECTED CONDORS

• We talked yesterday about college signings, I think the center position (skill division) is the one area we might see an addition.
  • Corey Pronman has his Organizational Prospect Pipelines ranking out and the Oilers have fallen from No. 8 to No. 28. Pronman mentions Kailer Yamamoto and some defensive depth. My Top 20 list includes Jesse Puljujarvi but Pronman’s general point is correct, this organization badly needs an infusion of top end prospects.
  • That’s one reason why I was pleased with the 2017 draft. Edmonton tried to hit home runs with skill in taking Kailer Yamamoto, Ostap Safin and Kirill Maksimov. It’s the kind of draft I can get behind, and represents a complete departure from the Mitch Moroz-Jujhar Khaira draft.
  • Although the Oilers prospect cupboard is not strong, the draft/procurement department has delivered some fantastic rookie classes in recent seasons.

LAST FIVE ROOKIE CLASSES

• 2012-13: Nail Yakupov, Justin Schultz, Chris VandeVelde. A pair of talented if one-dimensional players whose only crime was arriving at a time when the organization couldn’t offer them a situation in which to flourish. I wonder what would have happened it Ralph Krueger hadn’t been skyped.
  • 2013-14: Mark Arcobello, Martin Marincin, Luke Gazdic, Taylor Fedun, Brad Hunt. Kind of a low ebb among these fantastic rookie clusters, Martin Marincin is a more effective player than he is given credit for by the vast majority of fans (in my opinion).
  • 2014-15: Oscar Klefbom, Leon Draisaitl, Andrew Miller, Tyler Pitlick, David Musil, Curtis Hamilton, Bogdan Yakimov. A brilliant pair (Oscar and Leon) of rookies arrive the same season, and both have grown quickly into major foundation pieces for this young and talented Oilers team.
  • 2015-16: Connor McDavid, Iiro Pakarinen, Brandon Davidson, Darnell Nurse, Adam Clendening, Jordan Oesterle, Griffin Reinhart.  The mother lode that is Connor McDavid also brought five rookie defensemen of varying quality and the Finn Pakarinen. A franchise altering rookie crop and in many ways the year the clocks began to keep time again for Oilers fans.
  • 2016-17: Drake Caggiula, Matt Benning, Anton Slepyshev, Jesse Puljujarvi, Jujhar Khaira, Dillon Simpson. This could be a strong crop but we’ll have to wait and see on many of these names. Benning arrived complete (easy assembly!) and the promise of Puljujarvi, Slepyshev and Caggiula may have a major impact on the future.

From 2014-17, that’s a fantastic cluster of young talent. The addition of Matt Benning gets forgotten but it was a big deal. Notice the massive number of names turned over from the 2012-14 lists as Peter Chiarelli basically sent away everyone but Oscar and Leon. That’s typical of a new manager. Seriously. I don’t have Kailer Yamamoto included in my RE, but there’s a good chance he plays some NHL games this fall.

105 Responses to "MORE BRUINIZATION?"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I have seen quite a few predictions that have a dramatic spike in the production for both Drai and Strome (80 plus or even 90 plus points for Leon and 60 plus points (if not 70 plus) for Strome).

To me, those predictions presume that both Leon and Strome will play almost the entire year as 1RW which, obviously, can’t happen.

I won’t talk too much about the Pastarnak possibility – it would be amazing but I just can’t see it happening – what would the Oiler acquisition cost be relative to the cost for a non-Chiarelli team? Its a silly way to manage but the Dougie Hamilton trade showed us the pettiness of the current Bruin management team.

OP: They should have settled down by now, but you never know. I don’t think Pastrnak (or Leon) are going anywhere, interesting to see what kind of impact the LD contract has on other players and teams. If it is $8.25M times 8, suspect we’ll hear plenty of howling from other teams.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

A very important thing for this organization is for Tyler Benson to play a full season of hockey this year.

If healthy, yes, big if at this point, this is a real prospect and a good bet to provide a year or two of value on his ELC.

I’m hoping for a bounce-back health year from Tyler and to re-establish himself as a top prospect.

4. Jethro Tull says:

If Krejci costs Nuge, then Pastrnak costs Drai.

Very similar situation, however the Bruins don’t have McDavid. Is Pastrnak a river pusher? Bruins had real trouble with the Oilers last year, particularly with Maroon. Could be fairer to say that the Bruins may try and ‘Oiler’ up.

5. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Jethro Tull,

– Great post LT! I will eat my hat if they trade a C for a Winger in a hockey trade

– C > W. That was the problem with this team as it was built before. Win down the middle

6. Jethro Tull says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Jethro Tull,

– Great post LT!I will eat my hat if they trade a C for a Winger in a hockey trade

– C > W.That was the problem with this team as it was built before.Win down the middle

That’s a little too simplistic. It’s a C/W that won’t sign for a W that won’t sign. All things being equal, Leon is the player of greater value but if he will sign in Boston for $8.5 x 8 and Pastrnak will sign here for $6.5 x 5, then we have a deal. And throw in a year of Chara to cover Reggie.

Cap world changes the bets.

7. season not played says:

I think it might be Strome lighting it up with Draisaitl and I could see them revisiting Lucic with McDavid and using Pulujarvi at RW on that line.

As for Pastrnak,they need to focus on getting Leon signed and not worry about a slight winger who probably wants 7 mil.

Should also be trying to figure out a way to turn RNH into a real 3C.

8. Bag of Pucks says:

Ah…the Forecaster. One of Fender’s less appreciated guitars.

9. Bag of Pucks says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Jethro Tull,

Bag of Pucks:
    Ah…the Forecaster. One of Fender’s less appreciated guitars.

FTW!

All: I’m getting a question on twitter/dm’s just want to be clear. I am not suggesting trading Leon for Pastrnak. I mentioned Nuge as a trade option, but only in relation to David Krecji, who is also a center (and my point was he is no longer a viable option).

11. dustrock says:

So Bruins would have ditched Kessel, Seguin, Hamilton and Pastrnak after their ELCs are up?

Madness. Utter folly.

12. LMHF#1 says:

season not played,

“They need to focus on ______” cannot be a thing for a GM.

Not following all the moving parts at all times is not acceptable.

13. dustrock says:

LT if they need room to sign Pasta, do you think Chia takes a look at Chara with Boston retaining half?

Would we want that?

dustrock:

Would we want that?

15. McNuge93 says:

season not played:

Should also be trying to figure out a way to turn RNH into a real 3C.

I agree. Lets focus on signing Drai. He is a Bruin style player anyway.

As for Nuge the way to turn him into a 3C may mean trading him for a 3C which would make me sad. (see my nickname above) But it may be necessary in the grand scheme.

16. russ99 says:

IMO, Strome is going to get a big push with McDavid, possibly right off the bat. if not, I see him with Draisaitl.

So his point totals should lie somewhere between the RE and the Forecaster.

I also see Nuge anchored on that tough minutes line with Jokinen and either Pulju or Kassian while they try out the young wingers on the first two lines to see if anyone sticks.

17. flyfish1168 says:

Leon’s agent Mike Liut is doing Leon and the Oilers a disservice. As an agent I understand he wants to get the best possible deal since hockey is a business to him and Leon. But the thought process has to include the well being for Leon. Part of that should be how will the fans react if he signs to much and can’t deliver. The pressure from fans and media can be unsurmountable in a Canadian market for a young player. If the contract was done this already this would give PC time to tinker and possibly build a stronger team. Time is of the essence in my view. JMHO

18. Jethro Tull says:

russ99: I’d love to see Pastrnak here, but concerned about the cost. Moving Leon would be a loss in 2-3 years and moving Nuge without a defensive center replacement would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

It’s not a loss if Drai wants the moon on a stick (a handcuffing contract). Yes, we would have lost the better player, but if all we can afford to play with McDavid and Drai is Lauri Korpikoski and his ilk, then we would have lost the deal.

I’ll try to find it, but there was an article quoting the GM of the Devils saying that cap and salary structure played a huge role in the Hall trade. That was why there wasn’t any warm bodies sent with Larsson.

19. Pink Socks says:

So we are all in agreement that Leon for Pastrnak is not a wise move. What about JP + picks/prospects? JP, 1st, Jones for example.

Pink Socks:
    So we are all in agreement that Leon for Pastrnak is not a wise move.What about JP + picks/prospects?JP, 1st, Jones for example.

21. stush18 says:

Pink Socks,

Unless we send a contract out I can’t see anything happening

22. Thinker says:

I’m not gonna rip on the Strome thing. It does it itself.

Can we even afford Pastrnak? If he is traded because he wants 8m, I don’t see how the hell we are even talking about it.

23. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: I think something around JP and Nurse might be of interest but unlikely to be enough.

Hi LT

love your insight.
    But i wouldn’t do that deal. Not sure how accurate this site is but when you see who his main line mates are the question is who is zooming who. His stats show 1 good year of results and now wants the moon. Bridge deal is best for him.

I don’t believe we have reached or truly no the ceiling for JP or DN. JMHO

24. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: They don’t need room. That’s the thing. Sweeney (and Neely) are being strong on him and it will end in stupidity.

I was told that a very wise woman once said “start as you mean to go”.

25. Thinker says:

flyfish1168:

Think Tosh explains my feelings on this with a Brett Favre example.

26. RexLibris says:

I don’t see the Oilers as being a rational spot for Pasternak. Great player, love to have him, but he isn’t really a “need” so much as a “desire” for this team right now, and once you factor in what the Bruins would want from Chiarelli out of spite, well, best to keep looking elsewhere.

I know some in CGY are musing about Bennett + for him, and there is something to consider, if they sweetened the package with Kylington, etc. Another option was Gaudreau for Paternak, but I think Flames fans would be very upset at seeing JG leave town. That said, if their team wants to continue to focus on the wings and leave their C depth un-addressed, that is fine by me.

27. Ducey says:

Toe Blake could have coached Yak. It wouldn’t have mattered. Hitchcock couldn’t sort him out. Neither could Yeo.

Million dollar shot, ten cent hockey sense.

Perhaps the worst #1 overall, ever?

At least Katz stays out of hockey decisions now.

28. Jethro Tull says:

flyfish1168: His stats show 1 good year of results and now wants the moon. Bridge deal is best for him.

We still talking about Drai? 🙂

29. Cameron says:

This (another) one of those circumstances where the Flames and Oilers might be interested in the same trade target. Cgy has a gaping hole at 1RW, and Pastrnak would fit perfectly. However, if the ask is Bennett + a D prospect + a pick (a tough ask) and/or if Edm puts either a JP/Nurse or Draisaitl pkg on offer, I don’t see how Calgary could compete.

Unless the Bruins really do hate Chiarelli the way Godzilla hates Tokyo, or because Treliving is Keyser Soze.

My only question anout a JP + Nurse offer is whether you aren’t robbing Peter twice to pay Paul once.The Oilers are thin at RW, and only slightly less thin at D, so giving from two area of need to cover at one, seems….imprudent.

30. dessert1111 says:

If we could get Pastrnak for JP + Nurse or RNH + Nurse I’d do it all day. Would throw in a good prospect or pick too. Pastrnak shoots a tonne and has a hell of a shot and is barely older than Connor. They would be an unreal pair.

31. Jethro Tull says:

Cameron: Cgy has s gaping hole

Phrasing!

Seriously though, CGY are sorted on D, but past Mono-han Solo, Background and Little Jonny, CGY has many gaping holes at F. Benny is tracking nicely, still too soon on him.

32. Pink Socks says:

Ducey:

Perhaps the worst #1 overall, ever?

Staying on the Bruin topic, I’d say Kluzak was worse. Patrik Stefan is my pick for worst ever, but Yak is definitely top 5 with these guys and Daigle. That being said, I hope he scores 30 for the Avs this year.

33. Bag of Pucks says:

Ducey:

Million dollar shot, ten cent hockey sense.

Perhaps the worst #1 overall, ever?

At least Katz stays out of hockey decisions now.

And I wouldn’t even categorize it as ‘a million dollar shot.’

A high velocity shot is pretty much useless if it can’t be accurately targeted, as Nail demonstrated time and time again.

34. Cameron says:

RexLibris:

And Bennett deal only makes sense if the Flames have enough depth at C to move him for a winger. I happen to think they do have enough depth to consider it;

Monahan 1
    Backlund 2
    Bennett 3
    Stajan 4
    Jankowski 5
    Dube 6

But I am doubtful Treliving wants to move out Bennett until he sees what he has in him playing away from possession vampire Troy Brouwer.

35. Cameron says:

Pink Socks: Staying on the Bruin topic, I’d say Kluzak was worse.Patrik Stefan is my pick for worst ever, but Yak is definitely top 5 with these guys and Daigle.That being said, I hope he scores 30 for the Avs this year.

Kluzak was an excellent prospect until he destroyed his knee.

36. flyfish1168 says:

Jethro Tull: Pastrnak

I was referring to Pastrnak. Drai 1.5 good years. 😉

37. zatch says:

Pink Socks,

Stefan was worse than Yak. I love Yak, I really do, but damn he’s been terrible. Another weak year and he’ll be pretty on par with Stefan.

Daigle was a complete and utter disappointment, but at least he was north of a .5 ppg player.

38. Thinker says:

Cameron: No way Gaudreau is even considered by Calgary.Not just for sunk costs reasons, but because his production vs contract is just too good. He’s a wicked value deal, and Pastrnak won’ t be.

And Bennett deal only makes sense of the Flames have enough depth at C to move him for a winger. I happen to think they do have enough depth to consider it;

Monahan 1
    Backlund 2
    Bennett 3
    Stajan 4
    Jankowski 5
    Dube 6

Yeah, wish the oil could find a one dimensional 18 goal scorer for 6.75 million. Damn near impossible. And I do love Monohan. Would look good at 4C. Then you can move Letestu to the wing.

39. flyfish1168 says:

Monahan 1
    Backlund 2
    Bennett 3
    Stajan 4
    Jankowski 5
    Dube 6

40. Thinker says:

Dallas Eakins trained Yak and Schultz well. “We can’t fire another coach”

41. Cameron says:

flyfish1168: Among some of my phlegm friends have commented that the phlegms have been quietly shopping Gaudreau. The thought is he is too small to play in the western conference and his trade value is at its peak.

Its not impossible, but I highly doubt it.

42. jzed says:

Still dog days o’ summer boys, go outside and enjoy the dwindling days of ‘parkaless’ rambles outside. We wait for Dr Drai and then maybe a Jagr or Jerome lifeline. That is it . Trading Poolparty is folly guys, we don’t even know what we have yet. Chill.

43. Jethro Tull says:

jzed: Trading Poolparty is folly guys, we don’t even know what we have yet. Chill.

That’s why if you’re going to trade him, do it now. Falling in love with prospects has haunted this team for years.

Kenny Rogers had the best advice for GMs, and Chia IS a Gambler….

44. Cameron says:

45. stush18 says:

russ99:

So his point totals should lie somewhere between the RE and the Forecaster.

I can’t see strome playing a tonne with mcdavid at 5×5 tbh.

He has mentioned how he feels most comfortable at centre, chiarelli has said he looked best there, and when the islanders finally dumped capuano they moved him back to centre and he started playing better again.

Honestly it really truly pains me to say it, but if strome has any success at 2/3c (depending on where Leon is playing) then nuge is gone.

46. Pink Socks says:

Cameron: Kluzak was an excellent prospect until he destroyed his knee.

Sure, all #1’s are excellent prospects until something happened. Also, Kluzak’s first knee injury was in junior, prior to the draft.

47. who says:

Trading a JP/Nurse package for Patranak doesn’t make any sense to me. We can’t afford any more big contracts and neither one of these players has hit their ceiling.
    A Drai for Pastranak trade is just bad asset management. Always keep the center if the skill level is similar. I really think we are just fine at right wing, and if not I expect Chia to fix it in season

48. RexLibris says:

Cameron: I will say that the one Gaudreau trade that was floated that I thought might have traction was to NJ for Taylor Hall. Same position, similar contracts, and both guys would get to play at home.

49. season not played says:

LMHF#1:
    season not played,

“They need to focus on ______” cannot be a thing for a GM.

Not following all the moving parts at all times is not acceptable.

Got it. Take you eyes off signing your home grown 6’1 215lb stud center to investigate trading valuable assets for a small scoring winger who in no way will fit under your cap unless you completely change your team building philosophy right after divesting yourself of two soft scoring wingers.

Appreciate the lessen in hockey GMing.

50. McNuge93 says:

Bag of Pucks: And I wouldn’t even categorize it as ‘a million dollar shot.’

Yes, and he whiffs on most one-timers he attempts.

51. season not played says:

McNuge93: I agree. Lets focus on signing Drai. He is a Bruin style player anyway.

As for Nuge the way to turn him into a 3C may mean trading him for a 3C.

Excellent idea! Wish I had thought of that….

52. Ducey says:

RexLibris: That would be the wisest move for CGY. Not sure Shero does it, though. Gaudreau is likely at his peak right now, in terms of production. Moving him now to address C depth would be the best idea, but failing that, going for a dominant possession player like Hall who could then float Monahan. But, like I said, if they just keep sinking money into the wings, that’s fine by me.

Wouldn’t Johnny’s peak have been the 78 point season when he was on his ELC?

The 61 pts last year, his bigger contract, and the usual concern over the tiny body will give most GM’s pause, I would think.

He has value, no doubt, but its not what it was a year ago.

53. Centre of attention says:

I think the performance level of Nuge will dictate a lot of where Leon will play.

If Nuge struggles 5 x 5 again this year, you bet your butt Leon will spend more than 30% off the time away from Connor.

I still think Nuge and Leon have a bit of chemistry, they looked super solid on a line together though Hall was also riding shot gun and he made pretty much any line combo work…

Also, RE: Trading Nurse and / or Puljujarvi.

We need to stop making important bets on what “might be” and start making important bets on what we know is proven.

Pastrnak is twice the player Jesse is right now. (understatement, even) I would do a deal of Puljujarvi and a 1st round pick without blinking.

Nurse on the other hand has more relative value to this roster as it stands, especially considering the Sekera injury. I would do my best to keep him but giving him up isn’t a deal breaker.

My 2 cents.

54. LadiesloveSmid says:

If a 26P player was the centrepiece for a 34G scoring 21YO I think Boston might burn to the ground. Can you really dislike Strome’s potential and be enamoured with Bennett’s?

55. RexLibris says:

Ducey: Wouldn’t Johnny’s peak have been the 78 point season when he was on his ELC?

He has value, no doubt, but its not what it was a year ago.

I mean currently as in “the past three years averaged out”. I don’t think he finds another level and consistently puts up 80 pt seasons from here on out. I think he’s probably going to be a 70pt player with a few peaks and valleys along the way. Those are nice wingers, but it is not ideal that they become core franchise players. CGY did that once before and they spent a decade meandering around being “liked, but not well-liked” to borrow a phrase from Arthur Miller.

When they went into their rebuild with Monahan and Gaudreau I said it looked like they would race back to mediocrity, and thus far it appears that is what they are set to do. I wish them well in that endeavour.

56. Thinker says:

I also think Yak’s knee injury in his draft year was a bigger deal. I think he lost a step from that. Doesn’t explain his first year in the nhl, but his splits in his draft year were pretty stark. Watching him in junior, he was a lot like Jon White on skates.

57. stush18 says:

Centre of attention,

The issue with sending JP and a first is you wreck your cap situation. Doesn’t work unless you send out a contract.

You also lose a potential value contract for the mcdavid years ala Yamamoto (hopefully).

I love the player but I can’t see anything making sense.

58. Cameron says:

I’m a big fan of ‘build up the middle’, but I don’t see C as Calgary’s weak spot (that would be in goal).
    Jankowski, a 6’4″, fast, C, with ‘fear my wingspan’ skills, who had excellent 5×5 stats in the AHL last year is likely going to make the team at RW because the C spots are already spoken for.

The key is Bennett. when he’s de-coupled from Brouwer, his stats were very nice, but with him, he was a tire fire. If the Flames bury Brouwer, and give Bennett some PP, his stats will zoom. Calgary has two big questions this year, how good is Sam Bennett,? And is Mike Smith really the answer in net? (The answers are; ‘He’s going to be very, very, good’, and ‘No’)

So even if Calgary did move Gaudreau for a C (and that just begs the question of who? W for C swaps are rare for a reason), where would they play? Monahan and Backlund are locking down two spots, and Stajan is the right fit for #4, so they would have to be obviously better than Bennett or Jankowski will be, and neither of them are anywhere near their ceilings yet.

Lastly, if Calgary was going to do a deal for a C (say Duchene), the price will be paid using the coin of the realm; cost controlled D prospects (in which the Flames are flush).

59. Jethro Tull says:

“Why on earth would the player ever want to play elsewhere? And why would the team ever allow him to do so?”

Spector asks two questions in one sentence, in one paragraph and the answer to both is one word: Money.

60. Jethro Tull says:

Cameron,

Cam, i say this with the greatest of respect: The Flames are weak at C. Monahan is roughly equivalent to Nuge in point production. Nuge might well be the #1 C for the Flames, edging Mono in experience.

Jethro Tull:

Spector asks two questions in one sentence, in one paragraph and the answer to both is one word:Money.

I would also argue “respect” is a reasonable answer to the first question.

62. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar:

Even if the Bruins have a guilty conscience for “stealing” our second round pick and giving our arch enemy Hamilton for less, would we be able to afford him? Reports are he’s waiting for Draisaitl to sign, so I don’t see us being a fit in a trade with Boston.

Even if we trade him for Draisaitl, he might end up costing just as much, and we’d be in the same boat as now (waiting for our last unsigned RFA).

63. Chachi says:

Cameron,

Best of luck to the Flames this year:

64. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: I would also argue “respect” is a reasonable answer to the first question.

Now, do we think that A) both sides are on the phone tirelessly working a deal in proposal, counter-proposal, give and take; or B) Both have made unreasonable demands and are waiting to see who blinks first? Which is more likely?

65. OmJo says:

Ducey:

Million dollar shot, ten cent hockey sense.

Perhaps the worst #1 overall, ever?

At least Katz stays out of hockey decisions now.

I feel like if Microsoft did to Skype what they did to Nokia we wouldn’t be asking that question.

MacT made some really great (mis)judgement calls on Petry, Dubnyk, and Kreuger/Eakins.

Jethro Tull: True, but Old Man Tull once sat me on his knee and said, “son, respect goes two ways and it is always earned, like trust.”

Now, do we think that A) both sides are on the phone tirelessly working a deal in proposal, counter-proposal, give and take; or B) Both have made unreasonable demands and are waiting to see who blinks first?Which is more likely?

67. Pink Socks says:

Thinker:

It is such a shame we can’t go back in time to shock the hockey world and draft Hampus Lindholm 1st overall.

68. frjohnk says:

Lowetide: I think Leon didn’t like his handling in year one, where the Oilers sent him out for a specific reason. I expect at some level there are still some hard feelings and a sense of mistrust from his side. That may be part of the disconnect imo.

They also sent him down in year 2. McClellan or Chia said that Sleppy was more ready than Drai (Im paraphrasing here) Drai probably didnt like that either.

Also he may have heard that in year 2, he was riding Halls coat tails and in year 3 he was riding McDavids.

And if the Oilers are using the angle of ” well, Leon, other than a handful of games away from Hall and McDavid, you really have not pushed the offense, so here is a contract that reflects that”

I hope it does not end ugly with Draisaitl feeling like he is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Oilers.

69. RexLibris says:

Cameron,

The Flames’ roster at C is wide but not deep. They have two 2Cs in Monahan and Backlund, the former who earns roughly 1/3rd of his points on the PP and the former who had a career season and broke 50 pts for the first time.

Bennett is stalled in his development and while he plays the game well, I think he is headed in the direction of being more suited to the W than C at this stage.

W for C is difficult, of course, but targeting Duchene would’ve been the right move, in my opinion. Hamonic and Gaudreau for Duchene and Barrie might’ve caught Sakic’s eye.

As for Jankowski, I’ve still got him pegged as a 3rd line W for now, and look forward to seeing the results from this season to see how that might change.

70. flyfish1168 says:

His 2nd year when he sent down to the AHL he had issues with also. Not like he light it up down there. Interesting character.

71. Cameron says:

Jethro Tull,

RexLibris,

I’m not saying Calgary has Malkin-Crosby-Staal as a spine, but running a 30G scorer, a possession monster / Selke candidate, and Bennett (sans Brouwer) is not IMO ‘weak down the middle’.

The key will be Bennett taking a step forward. If he really is maxed out, then ‘yes’ the Flames are not strong at C.But if he’s a 40 point guy with positive possession numbers, it’s suddenly a strength.

Watch to see who his linemates are. If he gets chained to Brouwer again, he’ll be in trouble, if not, I bet he soars.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

who:
    A Drai for Pastranak trade is just bad asset management. Always keep the center if the skill level is similar. I really think we are just fine at right wing,and if not I expect Chia to fix it in season

Given our cap situation, where we are going is the recent PIT model up front of rotating wingers in the top 9 who outperform their contracts, value contracts.

While Pastarnak would be wonderful on Connor’s right said, I can’t see any way that we can afford him (while keeping Drai).

If we are going to explore this, to me, we look at Nuge as piece one going out:

1) we likely have to move him anyways
    2) Drai is clearly 2C if we have Pastarnak as 1RW
    3) we keep Nurse and JP which will be cheaper contracts and likely to be value over the course of the next few years.

I still don’t think it works for the cap starting next year (depending on what pieces go out with Nuge) but we can do that trade for this year and figure out the cap next spring/summer.

73. OriginalPouzar says:

I would say its option (C) – its August, managers and agents are on vacation, this will be picked up again in September and finalized before camp.

74. OriginalPouzar says:

Disagree on Dubnyk – yes, of course, we all know that he eventually turned in to one of the best goalies in the league but he simply wasn’t good enough in Edmonton. His save percentage in its up years was not reflective of his Roloson-like ability to give up soft goals at terrible times consistently.

I’m happy for Devan – he seems like a great guy and I’m glad he’s found his game – with that said, he needed to go.

I’m sure confidence is a huge factor in this and, frankly, he was never going to regain his confidence as an Oiler.

Lets not forget forget, he was given away by both Nashville and Montreal after he left Edmonton.

McDavid got $12.5 milion for 8 years after sh#$%$@ the bed against Anaheim, both in the regular season and playoffs. Draisaitl is only asking (probably) for $8 something for eight years after killing the Ducks in the regular season and playoffs, finishing top ten in scoring.

The Oilers seem to be arguing that McDavid is twice as good as you, while Draisaitl is taking the more reasonable position that he is at least 2/3rds as good as McDavid, and at least twice as good as Russell.

76. verite says:

Liut is pure evil. He will only hurt the OIlers by making Draistal unaffordable and alienated.
    Time is of the essence.
    Either settle or trade him.

77. oilfan17 says:

flyfish1168: Very good point. But if Leon looked at what he accomplished during the WHL playoffs and being the MC MVP it was the right call. It was a great confidence builder. Besides was it different management that made that decision to send him down?

They sent him down the day before Game 40 to prevent him from accruing the season, costing him a year of free agency.

As for Year 2, I don’t know what’ ‘ issues’ caused him to be sent to Bakersfield. He had a great training camp. He wasn’t down there long enough to light it up in any case.

79. Side says:

godot10:

80. Pink Socks says:

godot10: McDavid got $12.5 milion for 8 years after sh#$%$@ the bed against Anaheim, both in the regular season and playoffs.Draisaitl is only asking (probably) for $8 something for eight years after killing the Ducks in the regular season and playoffs, finishing top ten in scoring.

I don’t get the twice as good as Russell and McD being twice as good logic. It doesn’t make sense, variable roles, contributing factors, etc, but rather a league wide comparable. Tarasenko seems to me to be the closest to Drai, I think that’s a fair statement to put them in the same category. Tarasenko , signed at 24 so more UFA years, adjust for inflation, I think Drai belongs in the $7.5m-$8m. More than $8m is a huge overpay.

81. Side says:

Pink Socks: By this reasoning, Draisaitl shat the bed vs the Sharks then. Didn’t Leon also have a 7 game pointless streak at the start of the season?

I don’t get the twice as good as Russell and McD being twice as good logic.It doesn’t make sense, variable roles, contributing factors, etc, but rather a league wide comparable.Tarasenko seems to me to be the closest to Drai, I think that’s a fair statement to put them in the same category.Tarasenko , signed at 24 so more UFA years, adjust for inflation, I think Drai belongs in the $7.5m-$8m.More than $8m is a huge overpay.

Agreed.

Draisaitl’s production is closer to Tarasenko’s than McDavid’s. So why are people trying to base Draisaitl’s contract off of McDavid’s?

If we do the ‘Draisaitl is 2/3 as good as McDavid’ exercise, then what would happen if McDavid did get the max contract at $15 million?

godot would you argue that Drai would be worth the $9.9 million a year since Drai is 2/3 of McDavid if McDavid got $15 million a year?

82. Side says:

Lowetide: If my boss cut me a day before a raise was coming down, I would never forget it.

I don’t know how much leverage Drai and his agent have with Drai’s handling in year 1 under MacT when discussing a contract with Pete.

83. Jethro Tull says:

Cameron:
    Jethro Tull,

RexLibris,

I’m not saying Calgary has Malkin-Crosby-Staal as a spine, but running a 30G scorer,a possession monster / Selke candidate, and Bennett (sans Brouwer) is not IMO ‘weak down the middle’.

OK, I’ll just do the pacific division:

Monahan would probably be 1st line center on: Vegas, Arizona, Calgary

He would have to beat out Hank Sedin in Vancouver.

In SJ, Couture, Thornton, Pavelski

Edm, McD, Drai, Nuge

At ANA, Getzlaf and Kesler

And in LA, Kopitar and Carter.

There is not one player, save maybe Hank for age and Nuge because I’m a fanboy, that I would place Monahan over and this is just the Pacific. He is a good 2nd line/ soft parade center. Bennett couldn’t get it done against the soft parade last year. I hope he improves, but someone in Cowtown other than Jonny has to start playing with the puck and not trying to knock everyone into next week.

What you guys do have, is an excellent d corps and system allowing the forwards to be below average. Mark, TJ, Hammy and now Hammy 2, will be the only difference between this team and the shite the Oilers put out for 10 years. Two or three good forwards and the rest barely AHL caliber.

Side: If the boss who cut you a day before you were to receive your raise was fired, would you hold it against your new boss?

85. Jethro Tull says:

So your pay can only be based on arbitrary performances picked by you at random during the season and the playoffs? Didn’t McDavid win some kind of award or two last year? You drive a hard bargain my friend!

Side: Based on this, are you trying to tell me that Kris Russell is equally as good as Cam Talbot because they both make $4 million this year?

I was opposed to signing Kris Russell for anything more than a one year deal, so I clearly don’t believe that. The Oilers obviously think he is as good as Cam Talbot, since they gave the same term and approximately the same money.

87. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: We’ll see, seems as though Draisaitl and Liut have some leverage with Chiarelli or the deal would be done one way or another by now.

If Drai and/or his agent are still smarting over that after Drai hit his very generous bonuses last year and they want to get back at ‘The Man’ by sticking the team for a few mill more, and, ironically, extended term (because there’s nothing like getting an 8yr contract that you screwed your team for to really make you a fan and locker room favourite), then i would suggest we wish him and his new GM luck. Particularly his new GM.

88. OriginalPouzar says:

verite:
    Time is of the essence.
    Either settle or trade him.

Time is of the essence but that starts in September.

Agents, managers, etc. are on vacation. They will pick this up after labor day and finalize it before camp.

Important words: Before camp.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

oilfan17: I don’t think the issue for Leon (if there is one)is being sent down to the WHL. It’s about when he was sent down– on the morning before the Oilers’ 40th game.

If Leon is bitter about that, two years later, I will lose respect for him.

Come on Leon, you understand this is a business.

The Oilers kept you in the NHL and you earned apx. $475K instead of the per diem you would have got in the WHL had they sent you back right away.

That 40 games on the roster threshold for a UFA year is huge – they needed to do that or the GM would have been chastised by the fanbase.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

Also, different boss (same company).

91. Side says:

godot10: The Oilers obviously think he is as good as Cam Talbot, since they gave the same term and approximately the same money.

92. Cameron says:

Jethro Tull: OK, I’ll just do the pacific division:

Monahan would probably be 1st line center on: Vegas, Arizona, Calgary

He would have to beat out Hank Sedin in Vancouver.

In SJ, Couture, Thornton, Pavelski

Edm, McD, Drai, Nuge

At ANA, Getzlaf and Kesler

And in LA, Kopitar and Carter.

There is not one player, save maybe Hank for age and Nuge because I’m a fanboy, that I would place Monahan over and this is just the Pacific.He is a good 2nd line/ soft parade center.Bennett couldn’t get it done against the soft parade last year.I hope he improves, but someone in Cowtown other than Jonny has to start playing with the puck and not trying to knock everyone into next week.

What you guys do have, is an excellent d corps and system allowing the forwards to be below average.Mark, TJ, Hammy and now Hammy 2, will be the only difference between this team and the shite the Oilers put out for 10 years.Two or three good forwards and the rest barely AHL caliber.

Let’s flip the narrative a little, Backlund crushes the river against top comp every night and posts good offense to boot. I agreee Monahan is a weak #1, but Backlund is a destroyer of worlds as a #2, and with Frolik and Tkachuk formed arguably the best possession line in the league. Calgary’s got a wicked shutdown line, and a decent coring line, if Bennett can round out a third line that saws off its comp, they have a solid three lines.

As for Nuge v Monahan or Backlund? I think that is a losing argument for you on the #s.

93. stush18 says:

Cameron,

THe only arguement I would make for nuge vs monohan is the amount of time he played against elites via wood money.

Depending on how much stock you put into it, he was buried.

But I like the flames up the middle, IF Bennett steps up.

94. Jethro Tull says:

Cameron: Backlund crushes the river against top comp every night and posts good offense to boot.

Are we talking about the same Backlund that crushed it like Mr Burns crushes a paper cup with 53pts last year?

Nuge has never broke 50pts, while Backlund has done it year after year, so you got me there.

Jethro Tull: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=104255

Backlund is outstanding, just a crazy good player.

OriginalPouzar: Did he ensure that you paid an insane amount of money (apx $450K) compared to what you would have got if he had cut you two months earlier like he could have (should have)?

Also, different boss (same company).

I bet Draisaitl doesn’t feel that way.

97. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: Backlund is outstanding, just a crazy good player.

Just a bit of banter with Cam, hope he takes that way, if not, then i will stop now. I was enjoying the back and forth.

But let’s call a spade a spade. Backlund is a good 2nd line center, excellent 3rd line on a team with outstanding defensive but dubious forward depth (the oilers are polar opposite). Nothing about him is outstanding, however, it’s just who he is. An actual NHL player, which is an accomplishment in itself.

98. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: I bet Draisaitl doesn’t feel that way.

Do you suggest this because JP was treated a bit differently last year?

It was a different manager – come on Leon.

99. Georges says:

Yak was about a point a game player with CMD before the PHI game. Too bad for his future contracts he didn’t get to play with CMD after that.

The Oilers were very good to Drai in terms of his line mates in the last 2 seasons. He’s in a position to ask for the money he’s asking for as much because of who he got to play with as how effective he was while playing with them. And $8M is kinda at that level where your production shouldn’t be hyper sensitive to who you play with. Drai’s case isn’t strong here.

Is there another team in the league that would roll the dice on Drai for $8M for 8 years? Maybe we do it because we have CMD and Drai looks like he could be a strong #2. But does he look like a #1?

As for killing the Ducks, godot is overlooking very important -1’s in games 5 and 7. If Drai had led the Oilers to the Finals while CMD struggled, then, yeah, back up the Brinks trucks. But he didn’t.

OriginalPouzar: You could be right and, if that’s the case, I’d be very disappointed in my favorite forward.

Do you suggest this because JP was treated a bit differently last year?

It was a different manager – come on Leon.

101. Jethro Tull says:

Georges: And $8M is kinda at that level where your production shouldn’t be hyper sensitive to who you play with.

This is a thread winner right here.

102. The Hermit says:

OriginalPouzar: Lowetide: I bet Draisaitl doesn’t feel that way.
    Do you suggest this because JP was treated a bit differently last year?

OriginalPouzar: It was a different manager – come on Leon.

If you are determined to have hard feelings for what happened in the past you will never be happy unless you forgive. If he can’t let it go he’s gots to go.

103. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: I think Puljujarvi may have been handled differently because of Leon’s handling, yes.

OriginalPouzar: Sorry if I wasn’t clear – do you think that Leon could be bitter because of how JP was handled in a similar situation?

I don’t really have an opinion on that, to be honest. I’m not sure players pay a lot of attention to other situations. Maybe?

105. slopitch says:

As for bruinization, I still see Chara as a decent option. 1 year left on his deal. Not sure what he’d cost or what he’s worth for that matter.