HICKORY WIND

As a general rule, prospects who improve markedly from draft day through the end of their entry-level deal are going to make the rest of their draft class look like a bunch of loafs. Depth picks (Dillon Simpson) end up outpacing second rounders (David Musil) and lottery picks (Leon Draisaitl) move past the few men chosen above them in online re-drafts. That’s why it’s always a good idea to go back and review draft day scouting reports and remind ourselves about the work to be done.

DRAISAITL DRAFT DAY SCOUTING REPORT

• Cody Nickolet, WHL from Above: Draisaitl has arguably the most raw talent of any WHL prospect for the 2014 NHL Draft. From my viewings, his best asset is his vision. He has a great ability to slow the play down and set up linemates with super feeds on either the forehand or backhand, with his backhand sauce being something to sit back and marvel at. That ability to slow down the play has been seen as a knock by some, as he tends to attempt to slow the pace down constantly, instead of showing an ability to play in a faster environment. His skating is also another area of concern as he’s got a choppy, ugly stride. I think that’s definitely an area of concern, but has been an area that many players have improved upon in the past. Source
Leon Draisaitl improved his skating a great deal from the first training camp we saw him as an Oilers prospect. He’s also improved his endurance (Leon’s end of shifts were an adventure in year one) and in the faceoff circle. His passing ability and determination are fully on display and the big man is more aggressive these short years later. I think he’s an inspiration for all prospects in the system, similar to Kyle Brodziak a decade ago.

KHAIRA CHANNELS BRODZIAK?

• Lowetide, September 17, 2007: Kyle Brodziak: Selected 214th overall in 2003. 2 goals, 1 assist, +2. 18 shifts, 16:33 TOI, 1:59PP, 2:31PK. He was splendid based on the play-by-play and the results. Listening to Rod from the first shift of the night through the last it was clear that Brodziak was not only on a mission but had prepared for the opportunity. THIS is how players win NHL jobs. Source

Sometimes players emerge out of nowhere and Brodziak had a tremendous training camp in the fall of 2007. He had a strong season in the AHL in 2006-07, it was his third year and marked the end of his entry-level deal. He doubled his goal total (12 to 24) in 06-07 and then pushed all the way to an NHL job (over Marc Pouliot, the first rounder in his draft year). At 22, in 2005-06, he had scored 12 goals and 31 assists in 55 games for the Iowa Wild. This was the period when Edmonton didn’t have an AHL team. It’s the kind of progression you hope to see from Jujhar Khaira this season and there are some similarities in each man’s AHL progression.

Khaira is not Brodziak’s offensive equal, we can’t project 14, 16 and 22 goal seasons for the big forward. That said, his final two AHL seasons did show progress and there is an opportunity for Jujhar Khaira. I hope he comes to training camp as Kyle Brodziak did a decade ago, playing so well he laid waste to the competition.

NUGE IN THE NEWS

I’m a little surprised to see so many Nuge trade rumors out there, seems to be at least 10 months early. I’ve seen names like Brendan Gallagher and J.T. Miller mentioned, but to me that’s merely taking on 75 percent of Nuge’s contract and something resembling 75 percent of the player. No sir. If the Oilers are going to trade RNH, then the return should be a useful plug-and-play center who is miles from big money. Joel Eriksson Ek, Sam Bennett, Christian Dvorak, that kind of player. If the Oilers are trading Nuge, go young but NHL-ready, with enough potential to fill a substantial role.

OILERS PROJECTED OPENING NIGHT ROSTER 17-18

The Edmonton Oilers could sign Jaromir Jagr to a one-year, $5 million contract today. Seriously. It would require only sending Jesse Puljujarvi and his $2.5 million bonus potential to the AHL until it burns off during the NHL season. Jagr isn’t coming, I expect. If the Oilers were leaning in that direction it would have already have happened and we’d be buying Jagr jerseys by the truckload. On right wing this winter, youth will be served.

KAILER YAMAMOTO

Strong odds we see Kailer Yamamoto back in the WHL for his final junior season, but the draft year numbers by the young man have him brushing the bottom end of the lottery picks in their final years at that level.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy show and plenty of Oilers content during the two hours. At 10 this morning, TSN1260, scheduled to appear:
  • Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation. Can the Oilers make the cap work with McDavid and Draisasitl taking up $21 million a year? Plus finding space for Nuge.
  • Jeff Hauser, Radio Hauser. Denver Broncos have their starting quarterback.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. How many points for Connor McDavid in 2017-18? CFL power rankings.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

44 Responses to "HICKORY WIND"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

You nailed it with this statement LT:

Leon Draisaitl improved his skating a great deal from the first training camp we saw him as an Oilers prospect. He’s also improved his endurance (Leon’s end of shifts were an adventure in year one).

I remember Drai going from a guy that would suffer in the back-end of shifts to a guy that was finishing shifts as strong as he started them – it was a crazy transformation.

These types of improvements are a reason why I’m not overly concerned about him living up to his contract expectations. Sure, there is natural development as a young player but this young man is focused – he will identify weaknesses and work to get better.

I also love the fact that I’ve seen him smile once and it was only a half smile.

2. geowal says:

Always a Brodziak fan. Was disappointed he didn’t stay longer,
    and the return.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, if Nuge is a guy that needs to go next season for cap relief, I’m not sure taking back a Gallagher type player ($3.5M) provides enough cap relief unless the secondary prospect coming back is material.

Depending on what this team does at the deadline as far as potentially moving out picks (in a nice draft year), I can see the Nuge being dealt primarily for picks – the fan-base may rage.

WIth that said, yup, 10 months too early. Any such trade will downgrade the roster and there is zero need to do that now – this is a “go for it year”. We’ll see where we are in 10 months – alot can change in a year.

4. geowal says:

Looking back at the reports from Draisaitls first year, it is oh-so-obvious he shouldn’t have been in the NHL, at least not more than 9 games. And here we are paying him a year early. Btw I say this with no argument with LTs vision of playing young players when ready, not holding back for financial reasons.
    “But he’s big, he’ll be alright!?”

5. OriginalPouzar says:

geowal:
    “But he’s big, he’ll be alright!?”

Paying him a year early might save the team in the long run.

Imagine if he has another year like last year or puts up 70 plus points as the 2C – he’d be over $10M cap hit on his 2nd deal.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, I can’t imagine Jagr coming at this point and I think PC really wants to see what he has with the youth on the right side and will add in-season if he feels the need – James Neal as a rental anyone?

7. McNuge93 says:

I guess this is one thing the previous management team got right. They really focused on Drai in the draft and a lot of it had to do with his size. Bennett looked perhaps more skilled but was small. Turns out Drai has both the size and more skill. Luckily we didn’t have the second pick as we might have drafted Rienhart, not that he’s a bust by any means but Drai is the best of those three.

8. frjohnk says:

McNuge93: Drai is the best of those three.

At this point, best player from 2014 draft.

9. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! I understand the RNH on the wing narrative from a numbers game I don’t believe it will happen but if it does, doesn’t he have to be playing on the LW.?

– Seems to me your teeing him up to fail, if he’s going to play his off wing, never been a winger, and it negates his greatest strength, which is his 200 foot game. Does he have a 1-timer?

– Strome: I’m sure they would love for him to be the #3C, signed at sub-4$MM: and he’s a R shot.

– RNH: he’s going to have to be the handy man: sometimes 2C when Drai is with McD, sometimes 3C and light it up with Strome on the wing, sometimes 2PP wizard, and better as the D responsible.

– It’s set up for him to fail IMO: what hat is he wearing next year. How will they define success, given the shuffling that is going on.

10. flyfish1168 says:

frjohnk: At this point, best player from 2014 draft.

Ekblad no slouch. If we would have won the draft we would have choose him. He didn’t have the best year last year. I still believe he is still trending as a franchise D-man.

flyfish1168: Ekblad no slouch. If we would have won the draft we would have choose him. He didn’t have the best year last year. I still believe heis still trending as a franchise D-man.

12. sliderule says:

Draisaitl’s lack of endurance was a major red flag for me when the oil were looking at a contract extension.
    In my live viewings he often looked gassed on the back check but if the puck turned over he would spring to life like a colt and lead the rush.
    The problem seemed to be as much a lack of commitment to defence as endurance.
    In the playoffs he was a different man coming back hard and burning energy on defence.
    The combination of defensive commitment and fantastic offence will make his contract worth it.

13. anjinsan says:

Ethnically Czech and culturally German — smarts, hard work, reliability.

14. judgedrude says:

geowal: Looking back at the reports from Draisaitls first year, it is oh-so-obvious he shouldn’t have been in the NHL, at least not more than 9 games. And here we are paying him a year early.

I think this may be a bit revisionist. I remember at the time, this was seen as a bit of an astute move. By burning off an ELC year (but not an RFA year), the hope was that the second contract would come a year earlier and before the typical breakout season. It was almost looked at as a template to be copied. However, Dr. Drai improved ahead of the curve and got zoomed with Connor.

I thought that scenario was a good bet, particularly after the slow first year. It may still be likely a good bet because if he replicates his success (with more time on the 2nd line) a contract next summer would have been more expensive.

It is hard to predict the future, but LT talks about good bets, and MacT’s decision here was a good one, or at least a reasonable one.

15. McNuge93 says:

OriginalPouzar:

16. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar: Paying him a year early might save the team in the long run.

Except nothing in his results paint that as a reasonable picture

17. dustrock says:

I can’t remember which game had the Draisaitl backcheck but man I was so happy, I was thinking “he IS going to be Kopitar!”

18. geowal says:

judgedrude: I think this may be a bit revisionist.I remember at the time, this was seen as a bit of an astute move.By burning off an ELC year (but not an RFA year), the hope was that the second contract would come a year earlier and before the typical breakout season.It was almost looked at as a template to be copied.However, Dr. Drai improved ahead of the curve and got zoomed with Connor.

I thought that scenario was a good bet, particularly after the slow first year.It may still be likely a good bet because if he replicates his success (with more time on the 2nd line) a contract next summer would have been more expensive.

Last season most wanted JP to be anywhere but NHL. That’s not revisionist, that’s how people felt at the time. Same thing with Draisaitl, I understand not wanting him to be with a bad junior team, but the mood at the time was “why are we forcing him to struggle at the NHL level.” I certainly don’t recall anyone applauding this as a way to get to his 2nd contract sooner, but mine obviously varies from yours.
    Either way, he still could have been re-upped this year 2 years in if preferred by both, and we’d have two insane value contracts and the ability to throw 5-7 million around on 1-year deals.

19. Lightgestalt says:

anjinsan,

He is actually ethnically german (as his Dad is/was part of the german minority), but his hockey sense is czech for sure 😉

His Dad’s most important contribution to hockey history: http://video.eurosport.de/eishockey/olympia-flashback-peter-draisaitl-gegen-kanada-das-drama-von-albertville_vid976004/video.shtml

20. Professor Q says:

I don’t know, Lowetide. Jagr as a Flame wpild just be yet another poaching and mocking by the Flames of the Oilers to me.

They always seem to get the players Edmonton looks to add! 😂

Can Edmonton show interest in signing some terrible players, please?

21. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3: Except nothing in his results paint that as a reasonable picture

I don’t agree with that at all.

The man has done nothing but improve year after year since he was drafted.

There is nothing in his results to think he’ll be anything next year but better than this past year – as has been his history and what is generally expected from a 21 year old player – progression.

22. Cameron says:

Professor Q:

They always seem to get the players Edmonton looks to add!

Can Edmonton show interest in signing some terrible players, please?

I believe Treliving is convinced by Lowetide’s arguments in a way that Chiarelli isn’t.

Hamilton
    Versteeg
    Hamonic
    Foo
    Jagr?

After a while it really starts to look like LT is scouting for Calgary

23. Rondo says:

Jagr would help the Oilers in the regular season, not so much in the playoffs. As for the intangibles who knows he may help the younger players.

24. dustrock says:

Rondo:

To be in the playoffs, first you have to get into the playoffs.

25. stush18 says:

McNuge93: Agree re no need for Jagr and go with what we have. If we are looking like a legit contender and we need to strengthen the wings then yes for Neal at the deadline but the cost would be very high. 1st round pick maybe?

I know Neal plays RW, but you would have to think we would Ben looking at an actual right shot forward if we were dropping a first round pick no?

I would trade for bryan little. The guy is such an underrated hockey player, and I’m pretty sure he’s dynamite on faceoffs.

Maroon-mcdavid-drai
    Lucic-little-JP
    Jokinen-nuge-strome
    Cags-letestu-kass

Looks pretty dynamite to me.

26. stush18 says:

Rondo:

I’m confused why you think that?

The hooking and interference play s in playoffs compound and jagr is a bull. You feed him offensive zone starts and let him cycle.

27. jp says:

stush18: I’m confused why you think that?

He hasn’t scored a goal in 30 something playoff games.

So despite being the all time #5 playoff scorer, some think he’s no longer able to contribute in the postseason.

28. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: Injuries often crush the value of defensemen. I hope he recovers, franchise blue are so damned rare.

29. Pink Socks says:

flyfish1168: It is a shame. If I remember correctly it was a hit from behind. So young to suffer 1st concussion. It for sure changed his season last year.

30. Professor Q says:

Pink Socks: And I think our very own Matt Hendricks gave him his first one, and the one from this past March was from behind from a fringe NHLer, don’t remember who though.

31. digger50 says:

If you want to piss Leon off just tell him Connor is zooming his numbers.

This guy has a super high compete level and an ego to go with it, and I mean that in a positive way. He was some pissed when he was sent down in year two, he knew he played well enough to make it, and when he was called up he was dam well going to show them. He plays his best when he’s pissed.

He can play the fast game but still loves to slow it down at times. His skating two years ago was just strange. He bent at the waist, not the knees. He still reverts but is so much better. Still high potential, that scouting report was so accurate.

With his compete level I’m sure he feels he is “close” to Connor and working to match him. His contract negotiations were likely driven by his comparisons to Connor, not any other player.

I can’t say enough good about Leon and his drive. We are so fortunate to have this Connor / Leon duo.

32. digger50 says:

Professor Q: It wasn’t his first one. It was his second or third and soon after he had his earlier one. Which is why I think Hendricks targeted him. Which was dirty even if he was using it as “retribution” for a dirty hit by Florida.

Hmmmm

Or Hall just got flattened, Oilers punked again and Hendricks went to throw the first hit he came across. Which was Ekblad, who reversed his body right before Matt hit him. Hendricks was tough and always answered the bell, but he was not out to hurt anyone.

33. Professor Q says:

digger50: You really think Hendricks saw Elblad, thought “this guy had had several concussions” and then to target him with a dirty hit?

Hmmmm

“Not out to hurt anyone”

Bahahaha keep telling yourself that.

34. Oilanderp says:

LT hates Mark Fayne 🙁

35. judgedrude says:

OriginalPouzar,

I didn’t see this when I hastily jumped on my reply…but I guess it means I agree with Ocean Pacific.

No Brian Campbell safety net changed his season last year.

We get to see Russell this year without the Andrej Sekera safety net.

digger50:

Yep…after the blown three goal lead against Anaheim, where one of the goals was a point shot that deflected off of his body, he came out the next game spewing dragon fire. That was his five point game.

38. digger50 says:

Professor Q: “Not out to hurt anyone”

Bahahaha keep telling yourself that.

Perhaps you are right.

Matt Hendricks is just a dirty player who intentionally injures others.

I disagree.

39. flyfish1168 says:

godot10: No Brian Campbell safety net changed his season last year.

We get to see Russell this year without the Andrej Sekera safety net.

Losing Campbell doesn’t help. But they were as a whole not very good team last year period. I watch Ekblad a few times and he still looked pretty good. Does a lot of things good for a young D-man. He would make our D corp better.

40. frjohnk says:

Off topic

Dellow found this when Talbot was in net https://twitter.com/dellowhockey/status/900071279939780608

At 5 on 5, when Talbot was in net,

– the Oilers allowed just over 1 shot more against from the slot per game in 16-17 compared to 15-16.
    – the Oilers allowed just over 0.2 shots more against from the high slot per game in 16-17 compared to 15-16.
    -shots from the perimeter and less dangerous shot locations went down per game in 16-17 compared to 15-16

Overall , team was
    5 on 5 GA60
    15-16…..2.6
    16-17…..2.1

5 on 5 ShotsAgainst60
    15-16…..30.2
    16-17…..28.9

Shot attempts against from the slot
    15-16……10.7 per 60
    16-17…..11.4 per 60

If we look at goals against from the slot
    15-16……..1.35 per 60
    16-17……..1.35 per 60

Now shot location does not fully track oddman rushes, breakaways, screens but some of those numbers are baked into the data. For example a breakaway will usually show as a shot from the slot.

Using shot location would suggest that Talbot was the biggest reason for the drop in goals against for two reasons, his numbers from the high, medium and low danger shot locations were all better in 16-17 compared to 15-16 AND he played in 73 games in 16-17 as compared to 56 games in 15-16 which meant less 2nd string goaltending for the Oilers last year.

We all know that McDavid covers many ills, but how much does Talbot cover?

Also, if one believes that Dmen can affect goalies save % ( even though we can not quantify it, I believe Dmen can to a certain extent) AND knowing Sekera has had some of the best against numbers we should be more worried about this team defensively.

frjohnk:
    Off topic

At 5 on 5, when Talbot was in net,

– the Oilers allowed just over 0.2 shots more against from the high slot per gamein 16-17 compared to 15-16.

Overall , team was
    5 on 5 GA60
    15-16…..2.6
    16-17…..2.1

5 on 5 ShotsAgainst60
    15-16…..30.2
    16-17…..28.9

Shot attempts against from the slot
    15-16……10.7 per 60
    16-17…..11.4 per 60

If we look at goals against from the slot
    15-16……..1.35 per 60
    16-17……..1.35 per 60

Now shot location does not fully track oddman rushes, breakaways, screens but some of those numbers are baked into the data.For example a breakaway will usually show as a shot from the slot.

We all know that McDavid covers many ills, but how much does Talbot cover?

It would be interesting if those #BIGDATA shot attempt crunchers over at PuckIQ did a complete DFF analysis of the shots on goal against the Oilers/Talbot for each of the two seasons.

DFF, I would argue, is the best shot difficulty characterization currently out there. Still not perfect.

42. Bank Shot says:

frjohnk:
    Off topic

At 5 on 5, when Talbot was in net,

Individual’s just have to have an impact on save percentage, but I think one season worth of data is not enough.

I think you’d have to look at 3-5 years to get any kind of clear picture, and how often do the same defenders stay in front of the same goalie with the same relative team for that length of time?

I’m not sure ho you could even start going about measuring that data.
    It would be interesting to look at career save percentage for players to see if there is anything there for players deemed to be great defensively.

43. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bank Shot: We know coaching can have a big effect. Look at a Lemaire or Sutter team. They get good save percentage. Period.

I think you’d have to look at 3-5 years to get any kind of clear picture, and how often do the same defenders stay in front of the same goalie with the same relativeteam for that length of time?

I’m not sure ho you could even start going about measuring that data.

Gabe looked at his back in 2009: http://behindthenet.ca/blog/2009/07/do-defensemen-influence-save-percentage.html

Garrett Hohl looked at it again in 2014: https://hockey-graphs.com/2014/07/07/defensemen-still-have-no-sustainable-control-over-save-percentage/

David Johnson tracked “relative SV%” for players. The team’s SV% when they were on the ice compared to when they were off. Corsica did too.

It showed that year to year no Dmen had a constant influence on SV%. Some years their ONSV% were better than average, the next year worse etc.

Its basically random and with anything that is a skill you see consistent performance from year to year.

A good example is that we had the data for the last 5 years of Lidstrom’s career and his ONSV% was about 1.2% better than his team.

If the best Dman in the world doesn’t show any ability to drive SV% its puts into perspective when people say that middling top 4 Dmen have this ability.

Here’s the last 7 years of Russell’s career and Relative SV% (I just happen to have it handy)

10/11 -0.4
    11/12 -0.2
    12/13 +2.6
    13/14 +0.4
    14/15 +0.7
    15/16 -0.7
    16/16 +1.3

Pretty random looking distribution.

44. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: The answer is no. Dmen do not have any measurable impact on SV% in the long term.

My words should have been more clear in that without Sekera the D core in front of Talbot will not be as good defensively. I feel the loss of Sekera, Talbot will see more shots against per game and more dangerous ones when Sekera’s replacement is on the ice.

A lot of people believe the defense was fixed and that is the reason why the goals against went down so much.

I think the biggest reason goals against went down was Talbot got better in 16-17 from the year before.