RE 17-18 ERIC GRYBA: GENERATOR

Eric Gryba is a big defender who makes life difficult for opposition skill. His penalty total raises eyebrows and he isn’t going to see power-play time, but the fancy stats have some positive things to say about him. The Edmonton Oilers like his experience, his size, wingspan and toughness. Eric Gryba is a veteran NHL defenseman. (Generator).

ERIC GRYBA 2016-17

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.62 (6th among regular defensemen)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 52.2
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: +2.0
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 47.4
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: 0.4 (27 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 45 shots/4.4%
  • Boxcars: 40, 2-4-6
  • (All numbers via Puck IQ, Natural Stat Trick and hockey-reference)

RE 17-18: 28GP, 1-2-3 (0.107)

1. You have him playing less. I’m guessing RHD will be occupied by Adam Larsson, Kris Russell and Matt Benning for much of the season. Gryba could certainly play more, this is my guess.
  2. The analytics guys don’t appreciate what he brings. Travis Yost“Eric Gryba legitimately improved last two years. Third pairing guy now. He can’t move the puck at all. he’s OK defensively though.”
  3. That’s a backward compliment. It’s an astute observation and tells the reader about Gryba’s value. That value has him in the NHL. I don’t see your sorry ass in the NHL, so I guess Gryba’s got a few things on both of us.
  4. He is popular in this city. Edmonton is a working man’s town, Gryba is a working man’s hockey player. He’s also a clever twitter follow. Fits in with most of Edmonton, nothing wrong with it.
  5. Does Gryba block Mark Fayne? A little bit. It’s strange. I think the Oilers would run Fayne ahead of Gryba if necessary (every night), but Gryba is a better fit for them at 7D.
  6. What does Gryba bring that Fayne doesn’t? Gryba is aggressive where Fayne is maybe a little passive. Wildly unfair to use that word for Fayne, who is a player I like, but that seems to be the issue.
  7. Could he move into a regular job? I think it might prove to be too difficult. Todd McLellan usually picks heavy teams for Gryba, giving the smaller blue a breather. Gryba’s job is no walk in the park.
  8. Who did he play well with? Darnell Nurse and Gryba played 288 minutes together, had a Corsi for 5×5 percentage of 51.6 against all forms of opposition. Nurse was 53.5 without, Gryba 47.3 without. Source
  9. What about Oscar Klefbom? Just 78 minutes I’m afraid, 50.3 percent. Source
  10. Anyone else? He and Brandon Davidson always played well together, they were 50.2 percent in 168 minutes together before the trade. Source
  11. You don’t have him scoring much. One seeing-eye single and a couple of short passes to 97 in the defensive zone. Gryba means leather, Gryba doesn’t mean wood.
  12. Peter Chiarelli signed him for two years? Makes sense. The Oilers may have some RHD pushing over the next two years and eventually one or more may pass Gryba. Until then, Edmonton has Gryba signed and ready.
  13. What is the RHD depth chart? With everyone healthy, it’s Adam Larsson, Kris Russell, Matt Benning, Eric Gryba, Mark Fayne, Dillon Simpson, Ethan Bear, Ryan Mantha. That’s my guess, anyway.
  14. So he’s holding off Ethan Bear? The young players wouldn’t be replacing Gryba, but could force Russell or another down the depth chart or off the roster. Gryba is an effective NHL veteran who holds the fort and makes the transition possible. That is a valuable player and sometimes organizations have a hard time finding them.
  15. Why? Gryba has to be ready at a moment’s notice but could get scratched five minutes before a game he’s supposed to play. You need a very confident guy who is also a team player.
  16. These guys usually make good coaches? True. Two-way centermen and defensive defensemen.
  17. Is this the end of the defense RE? No.
  18. Good grief! This is a marathon! One more blue, I’ll have it up Sunday night. Goalies begin tomorrow.
  19. Why this song? I like the line “I’m the generator, firing when you quit” for Gryba.

RE 17-18 DEFENSE (SO FAR)

27 Responses to "RE 17-18 ERIC GRYBA: GENERATOR"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I love Grybs – to me, he is a fantastic #7D – a guy that knows his role, is able to play fairly solid 3rd pairing minutes and is willing to do what it takes for his teamates.

He also seems like a fantastic teamate and dressing room guy.

You can stick him in the pressbox when the lineup is healthy and not worry about complaint or stunting development.

He has his warts – speed, puck moving, penalties but he is what he is for a #7.

Its unfortunate he’ll be starting the season as #6 with Reggie out.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

28 games? Which tweener do you have passing him before Reggie is back? Auvitu? Stanton? Simpson?

You have Russell ahead of him on the RW depth chart – ugghhhh, I want Kris on the left side.

Even if Russell is on the right side – should we not account for his 2-3 sretches of missed games with a groin injury?

As you can tell, I haven’t read the entire post – now back to reading.

3. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar,

You just paraphrased the Article. 😉

OriginalPouzar:
    28 games? Which tweener do you have passing him before Reggie is back?Auvitu? Stanton? Simpson?

5. VOR says:

Original Pouzar,

If you are interested I wrote a two part response to your comment on opinion based posts not being as highly regarded as “factual statistics” and posted it at the end of the last thread.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, I see that – thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

7. ATLOil says:

This relates to the previous post where the comment was made to, if I recall accurately, the point that opinions are fine (if backed up by facts)

Oxford dictionary definition of “opinion”: A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

Opinions are just that, opinions. Personally I find opinion driven posts very interesting as they are often contrary to my own and force me to challenge my own opinions.

Anyway, carry on…

Please keep the previous conversation in the previous thread, please and thanks.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: I have Larsson and Benning as RHD for entire year, Russell getting about half the season there, with Gryba 28, Fayne 16, Simpson 11, Bear 1. Gryba is not an everyday player in my opinion.

I agree that Gryba is not an every day player, however, until Reggie is back, I do see him playing the majority of the games.

I am hopeful with Auvitu but, as I’ve stated in the past, my hope is some what jaded as his insertion in to the lineup likely moves Russel to 2RD which I’d like to avoid.

10. slopitch says:

Pretty much nailed it on Gryba. He’s kinda like Strudwick in that’s he’s a good 7D but a better defender imo. Also my opinion, players who are defensive d appear better on good teams. Anyways, I’d bet the over on 28 gp but under 40.

Under 6 weeks till puck drop!

11. kgo says:

Ill never forget Gryba (as a senator) fanning on a clearing attempt that resulted in a series ending OT goal against, I think against MTL, the camera cuts immediately to Brian Murray (RIP) who clearly mouths the words “Fucking Gryba”

He then proceeded to trade him to Edmonton later that off-season…find the clip anyone?

Edit: it was game 2 OT winner scored by Galchenyuk…I can only find NBC footage that doesn’t show the GM reaction…

12. dustrock says:

He’s worked hard to get where he is and not a word of complaint as far as we can see.

Always interesting to see these lunch pail guys and how long they can last. I give him credit, he knows his role very well and doesn’t try to deviate from it.

13. stush18 says:

I’m going to politely disagree LT on his games played. I see him pushing up around 50 this year, with sekera out. He played 40 last year with minimal injuries, I see no reason why he won’t play more than that this year.

I think you’re a little hot on auvitu, but I know you like your puckmovers.

I’ll be honest, if we had Hamilton or Trouba on our top pairing, I would have all the time in the world for gryba as my number six guy. Every team needs to bring some sort of bigger physically imposing player on the backend. Unfortunately, his skills are duplicated by Larsson, and duplicated with better skills too.

stush18:

I think you’re a little hot on auvitu, but I know you like your puckmovers.

15. stush18 says:

Also, I really think these players are interesting. Gryba actually performs very well with analytics. That’s a strong numbers against the elites, all though the minutes are lower. He does well in possession, and typically places very well on the PK in SA/60 if I’m not mistaken.

He obviously has slow boots, but as far as passing goes, I think we are completely under rating him.

He’s never going to stretch pass a guy for a quick break, but he breaks up cycles and makes a quick tape-to-tape outlet pass better than anyone but Larsson imo. Too many times I see the other defenders win the battle along the wall and send a quick chip along the boards up to the wingers. Gryba and Larsson seem to be very effective at separating the man, getting in front and blocking him, and then sending a quick ten foot pass to the centre up the middle.

I’m not sure if that is a size advantage that the other defenders can’t rely on, but they seem to be very good at it.

16. stush18 says:

Lowetide: Auvitu’s GP is a result (partly) of the injuries that Sekera and Nurse (as projected) will encounter according to the RE. I may be a little strong on Fayne though, that’s a fair criticism.

It really depends on how long sekera is out for. Bit of a wildcard there?

Also, if I’ve done the math right, 11 games for the final dman (rhymes with Anton) is a little high imo. His skills are duplicated by gryba, and the team knows gryba better. The only way he gets into games is if gryba is injured imo

stush18: It really depends on how long sekera is out for. Bit of a wildcard there?

That’s the great thing about projecting these numbers, we’ll see in a year. Both men would get PP time, may come down to lefty-righty.

18. OmJo says:

I like Eric Gryba.

19. GMB3 says:

OmJo:
    I like Eric Gryba.

Me too. He’s an easy guy to root for. I have tons of respect for the Eric Gryba’s of the NHL. You can tell he’s a good man who knows his role. Just an Everymans kind of player.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

Unfortunately I am going to have to take the over on the games played as well.

Unless they are faultring or Auvitu shines, I think Grybs in an every day player until Reggie is back.

Further, with such great health last year, I just have a bad feeling one of the top pairing will go down for a 4-6 week injury prior to Reggie being back.

Now, of course, that is nothing but baseless speculation and even catastrophizing but I’m worried about injuries this year – its just a gut thing.

I think we might see a decent amount of Dillon Simpson this year.

21. russ99 says:

You guys rail against Russell constantly, yet don’t see Gryba’s hand grenade throwout passes from the corner right to the opposition? Sheesh.

He’s a useful player, but I wanted a replacement this summer, a similar nasty checking man-on-man defender with better skating and passing, like a Gator Smith.

22. Lynas1 says:

I understand why people like Gryba as a personality. But this player type has been on the way out for a while. If you can’t skate well and you can’t move the puck well, you’re going to find yourself struggling in the speed game. I’d be a bit more gung ho about him if Edmonton had another proven puck mover or two already.

23. jp says:

russ99:

The difference is that Russell got 4×4 with trade protection and plays top 4.

Gryba is paid as a #7.

Russell is clearly the superior player (though I suppose one could argue that based on CF% and DFF%).

russ99:

A modern Gator Smith would play farther up the lineup and be paid far more. Gryba is a solid No. 7D, but if he’s playing 50 games that’s going to expose the defense imo.

25. Shane says:

russ99:

Adam Larsson?

26. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:

I don’t think there is a single poster that’s ever said that Gryba is better at hockey than Russell.

There is a big difference comparing (a) a d-man signed to $1M for two years to be the #7 guy and fill in on the third pairing and the PK as necessary and (b) a d-man signed to $4M for 4 years with a NMC that will be playing top 4 minutes.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Lynas1:
    I understand why people like Gryba as a personality.But this player type has been on the way out for a while.If you can’t skate well and you can’t move the puck well, you’re going to find yourself struggling in the speed game.I’d be a bit more gung ho about him if Edmonton had another proven puck mover or two already.

I’m not sure anyone is “gung ho” about Eric Gryba but just happy to have him as a serviceable #7.