RE 17-18 CAM TALBOT: TIMES LIKE THESE

Hundreds of times during the 2016-17 NHL season, Cam Talbot saved the Oilers and kept the team in the game. As a reward, he gets to do it again, this time without one of the team’s best veteran defensemen. Edmonton is in the window of opportunity to win Stanley and that means a lot of pressure on the goaltender. Cam Talbot has met every challenge he’s seen, how far can he take this team in 2017-18? (Times Like These).

CAM TALBOT 16-17: 73GP, 2.39 .919

CAM TALBOT RE 17-18: 64GP, 2.42 .920

1. You have him running in place! Well a slight increase in save percentage, and I also project he’ll face more shots.
  2. How many? He faced about 29.6 shots in 2016-17 (using hockey-reference) per 60 minutes, I have him seeing 30.1 this coming season.
  3. Why? Sekera’s absence, Oilers spending more time ahead in games, that kind of thing. I have the team getting more shots on goal too, so it’s not all bad.
  4. You also have him playing less. Yes. I do think the Oilers will have a legit backup by season’s end, and Talbot will see more rest during the year. Nothing major, three games a month projected to the backup goalie.
  5. Will Todd McLellan risk it? I think the Oilers learned a lot about their team last season and Talbot held up very well. That said, you’d like him to be fresh for what might be a long playoff run in the spring. If he plays 64 games during the regular year, that still represents a significant work load.
  6. Can we do a quick review on his 16-17 season? Sure. His .919 SP was well above average (average was .910), that .919 total saw finish him No. 10 overall among NHL starters, who I define as having started 35 or more games. Even strength SP was .927, tied for No. 10 overall. Led the league in wins (42). Power play SP, tied for No. 14, .877, and he was near the top for much of the season.
  7. What about playoffs? He was No. 8 (.924) overall among starters (five or more games), No. 12 in  even-strength SP (.923), No. 3 in power-play SP (.926).
  8. Why didn’t he receive Vezina consideration? He finished fourth, that’s clearly a reflection that his performance was noticed around the NHL. Source
  9. How important is he to the team? You’re kidding, right? Massive.
  10. Can we begin to talk about your RE numbers? I think Monday is better, I’ll finish things up Sunday night and then present everything on Monday.
  11. Is Talbot the best trade Chiarelli’s made? Yes, a thousand times yes. Also important to get him signed, which the Oilers were able to manage.
  12. Do people give Chiarelli credit? I give him a great deal of credit for it. A helluva get. There’s a vocal group (I would like to call them the Drifters, but loved the Drifters) who  say the deal was preordained. Neat trick, the Reinhart deal was Chiarelli’s, the Talbot deal was MacT’s, I’m not buying. We credit and blame the man sitting in the chair at the time. Getting Talbot was a very good trade for Edmonton.
  13. What about the next contract? There will be a little more room to wheel summer 2019 when Talbot’s contract expires.
  14. Is he the best goalie in the Pacific Division? All three California teams had better goals-against totals, but John Gibson’s future is the only one I’d take over Talbot. I’m biased, however.
  15. How many years has he been playing at what we might call peak level? He has four NHL seasons on his resume, all look like quality. Cam Talbot came from a long way back but he’s a bona fide No. 1 goaltender.
  16. How many years does he have left at this level? Great question. Three? Four? I think he’ll get one more big contract, and he’ll be in the NHL for the rest of this decade and beyond.
  17. Can the Oilers win the Stanley Cup with Cam Talbot as the starter? Yes. Of course. That’s the plan.
  18. Why this song? The day he arrived it was a brand new sky. Helluva goalie.
  19. Are you going to mention his new mask? Awesome. Source.
  20. If the Oilers win Stanley, does Talbot get the Smythe? He has a real chance.

21 Responses to "RE 17-18 CAM TALBOT: TIMES LIKE THESE"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Talbot was pretty good last year, wasn’t he?

Its amazing that we have a goaltender that is in his prime and signed to a very reasonable contract (value), that has proven to be able to provide upper level goal-tending and consistency under a very heavy workload. Great job last year Cam.

Of course, I’m assuming the plan is to rest Cam a little more this year and give the back-up 15-20 starts.

Last year, by the time LB was brought up, every game was so important it was tough to find ways to give him the net. I am confidant LB can give the team to win in a real back up role – he’s performed well at the NHL level, the only thing missing is opportunity. If LB does faulter, Ellis is hot on his heels. Some nice internal competition for the 2G.

Question though, do we think there is a chance that Talbot might be one of those goalies that requires more steady work? Anecdotally, he seemed to have some of his tougher nights off 3 plus day layoffs.

Of course, we don’t want him playing too many back to backs but I don’t think we want to be sitting him for stretches over 3 days.

2. Colieo87 says:

LT

THIS SHOULD OF BEEN THE SONG

Colieo87:
    LT

THIS SHOULD OF BEEN THE SONG

That’s one of my favorite songs.

4. Colieo87 says:

Mine to 🙂☺☺

5. frjohnk says:

For the most part, Talbot was elite last year and the biggest reason why our goals against went down from the year before.

I agree, the best pickup by Chia.

6. jtblack says:

“Neat trick, the Reinhart deal was Chiarelli’s, the Talbot deal was MacT’s, I’m not buying. We credit and blame the man sitting in the chair at the time. ” – Thank You LT. +1

7. Westchester Oil says:

LT – I have to give you props for the thoroughness that you go thru in producing these RE’s – in this case, I can see you’ve put a lot of thought + process in estimating games played, shots on goal, etc and the reasoning behind it.

You probably have the skill set and discipline to be a very good investment manager. Why don’t you come on down to New York for a couple years and I’ll get you a job? You’re a young enough to try something new, right? 🙂

Westchester Oil:

You probably have the skill set and discipline to be a very good investment manager. Why don’t you come on down to New York for a couple years and I’ll get you a job? You’re a young enough to try something new, right?🙂

9. Thorin says:

Cam is athletic and experienced and driven. Most importantly, Cam is mentally resilient and able to let anything that has happened in the past go and have it not interfere with his next save, whether it happened a minute ago, a day ago, or a week ago. This mental fortitude is why he has done so well for the Oilers last year. There were a few times where he stumbled, made a bad play, or even had a bad game, but it was clear that he let that go, shrugged it off, and re-focused on making the next save. Some people can do this naturally, most people have to learn to do this, but it is so critical for a goalie to be able to stay in the moment and forget about the past and the future. And it’s pretty much impossible to measure 🙁

10. Westchester Oil says:

Lowetide: Haha. Sadly, I’ve spent 37 years in a less lucrative industry. I can sing all the words to “Ballroom Blitz” though. 🙂

And that’s an important skill..

Great song by the way. Now it will be stuck in my head for the next couple days.

11. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

And here I am, only able to recall the lyrics from that part in Wayne’s World.

12. OmJo says:

The fact Talbot played at that level the same season he and his wife had newborn twins makes it even more impressive. I’d think at least. I don’t have any kids but I do have twin brothers and they were a handful when they were born. Definitely can be a distraction.

13. Lloyd B. says:

Gotta love the CFL and the rouge.

Lloyd B.:
    Gotta love the CFL and the rouge.

Crazy crazy game.

15. anjinsan says:

Ya know, Toews and Kane were sure things when signed to the money they are at.
    But they weren’t signed to the mother lode after cup #1. Oh, and it didn’t work, going forward.

Chiarelli gambled Edmonton’s future on McDavid and Draisaitl. 9 years is a lot of time.
    This is what over-reaching, desperation looks like. What happens if Puljujarvi does even better than Draisaitl, which is likely. Or Nurse matures to 1st pairing competence?

Throwing money at a problem is something anyone can do. Harvard doesn’t offer a course on over-spending.

16. Gret99zky says:

Colieo87:
    LT

THIS SHOULD OF BEEN THE SONG

This is a great song.

Pressure by Billy Joel may also apply to Dadbot. Another set of twins would do wonders for our upcoming season. Don’t you think?

If you want to level up your sing all the words game, LT, try We Didn’t Start the Fire (Billy Joel) or It’s The End of the World (R.E.M.)

#unpossible

17. Chachi says:

anjinsan:
    Ya know, Toews and Kane were sure things when signed to the money they are at.
    But they weren’t signed to the mother lode after cup #1.Oh, and it didn’t work, going forward.

Chiarelli gambled Edmonton’s future on McDavid and Draisaitl.9 years is a lot of time.
    This is what over-reaching, desperation looks like.What happens if Puljujarvi does even better than Draisaitl, which is likely.Or Nurse matures to 1st pairing competence?

Throwing money at a problem is something anyone can do.Harvard doesn’t offer a course on over-spending.

LOL!

18. Gret99zky says:

anjinsan:
    Ya know, Toews and Kane were sure things when signed to the money they are at.

So hypnotize Toews and Kane to sign for $8M/yr each or allow them to sign with a different team?

anjinsan:

What happens if the Oilers win a cup and Draisaitl is awarded the Conn Smythe?

anjinsan:

Isn’t enrolling in Harvard a lesson in over-spending?

19. jm363561 says:

anjinsan:
    Ya know, Toews and Kane were sure things when signed to the money they are at.

I do not like the Drai contract but, at least, he and McD are locked up for their prime years.

Love Cam. When he was traded his agent made it clear he was unlikely to resign. IMHO Chia’s bigger success was the resigning, not the trade.

20. Melvis says:

THEHOP said…

Melvin is funny too.

I met him once. Frankly, he’s a bit of a pill. Worse yet, I caught his live act once. He stunk out the joint.