(YOU WILL) SET THE WORLD ON FIRE!

Connor McDavid highlight videos serve as high octane reminders of the adrenaline rush Oilers fans will experience this winter. The speed is other worldly, the skill breathtaking, but it’s the combination of the two that sears itself into the memory banks. Shock and awe on demand? Connor McDavid set the hockey world on fire last year, what can he do for an encore?

• McDavid on Canadian teams contending: “It’s good to see the Canadian teams doing well, but as long as the Oilers are doing well, I don’t care how any other Canadian team does other than the Edmonton Oilers. If the Leafs come in last place, doesn’t matter to me, just matters what the Oilers are doing.” Source

Music! Huzzah! The man is the ultimate! What crazy luck brought us here? The dice had no memory, the computer was drunk and the dish ran away with the spoon. Jesus, Mary and Joseph we’re just weeks away from the greatest show on earth!

• McDavid on Ryan Strome: “He’s a smart player, all the Strome’s are.”

Ryan Strome’s arrival in Edmonton, in my opinion, is a reflection of Peter Chiarelli’s desire to ice a gritty set of skill forwards who can play center or wing. It no doubt helped the acquisition came in the weeks leading up to the Connor McDavid contract, but no one should suggest it has anything in common with the scenario where the New York Islanders acquired Jean Potvin back in March of 1973. The Islanders, concerned that No. 1 overall prospect Denis Potvin might sign with a WHA team after the club drafted, acquired Jean Potvin from Philadelphia for Terry Crisp in an effort to make things more attractive to franchise defender Denis Potvin.

This isn’t that, but I wonder if we eventually see Peter Chiarelli acquire some of 97’s junior linemates in the future. The longer we go into McDavid’s career without finding his first-person shooter, the more likely we see Peter Chiarelli reach out for possible connections. Who did McDavid play well with in Erie?

• Brock OttenPlayed a lot with Debrincat and Nick Betz, and with Remi Elie after the Otters acquired him. And 2014,  he played a lot with Andre Burakovsky.

It’s a fine group, with only Betz likely to fall short of the NHL. Burakovsky is an NHL regular with the Washington Capitals, DeBrincat lit up the OHL and has a fine future ahead of him and Elie, despite posting pedestrian AHL numbers, looked solid as a rock in an NHL audition during 2016-17. Interesting set of options.

OSTAP SAFIN

One of the quality picks by the Oilers at the 2017 draft, Ostap Safin was known to us before draft day and will be a player to follow this winter. Edmonton needs top flight forward prospects and Safin has real potential.

• No. 115 overall: R Ostap Safin, Sparta Praha (Czech). I’m a fan of this selection and had him in my second round (No. 52) for the 2017 draft. One of three picks today that I think fans can be genuinely pleased over. Corey Pronman: At 6-foot-5, he has very good feet for a big man, with an easy first few steps. He handles the puck fine, can make the occasional creative play or distribution, possesses an accurate wrist shot and is able to finish chances well. However, he’s not going to be a primary playmaker on his line as a pro. His physical play is inconsistent. Source

Safin’s name came up this week as part of the Saint John Sea Dogs training camp roster. It’s easier to monitor progress from the CHL, hopefully Safin has an impact this coming season and takes a giant leap forward. I have him as the No. 6 prospect in the entire system at this time.

HEY BOGDAN

One of the more surprising items this summer (for me) came when the Edmonton Oilers qualified Bogdan Yakimov in order to retain his rights. He seemed a distant bell, and as he bolted the Bakersfield Condors to head back to Russia. That often means complete amputation but Edmonton chose to keep the door open. Yakimov has a tantalizing skill set (big center with some skill) and I’d love to see him back in North America. He has played one KHL game for Neftekhimik this year (1gp, 2pims, 2 shots, 14-9 in the FO circle, 23 shifts and 15:13 TOI) and plays again today.

AN ADAM GRAVES MOMENT?

It’s extremely rare to see an NHL organization fail to recognize truly ridiculous talent but we may have such a thing in Motown this summer. Andreas Athanasiou, he of the long name and brilliant highlights, remains unsigned and mostly unloved by the curious decision makers in Detroit. He scored 1.28 goals-per-60 at 5×5 and a humble offer sheet could get the job done because the Red Wings chose the ‘Drunken Sailor’ option when putting together the team’s cap number for the coming season. Edmonton’s future at LW is decidedly undecided, a young rocket winger like Athanasiou would be a tremendous addition. Offer sheet wildly unlikely,  but a trade would seem possible. Perhaps that’s how PC will use his cap room.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A special show today on TSN1260, beginning at 10 this morning. Bruce McCurdy will join me at 10:20 to talk Oilers and his trip to Mud Luke, Idaho for the total eclipse of Bonnie Tyler. At 11, we’ll both be joined by Rob Vollman, whose new book The Hockey Abstract 2017 is a brilliant read no matter your level of interest in hockey or analytics. We’ll dig deep on the fourth edition of the Abstract and your questions and comments are welcome. 10-1260 text or @Lowetide on twitter. Bring the big part of your brain!

53 Responses to "(YOU WILL) SET THE WORLD ON FIRE!"

1. Nuclear leak says:

All the Stromes are..

Soon to be Oilers lol

Nuge to Phx

Nuclear leak:
    All the Stromes are..

Soon to be Oilers lol

Nuge to Phx

I think the Coyotes are very high on Strome, otherwise I’d agree.

3. frjohnk says:

Red Wings also have 10 NTC/NMC contracts. A couple million over the limit. Yup, cap hell.

Athanasiou wont be coming here. We may make an offer, but Calgary will make a lesser one and get him.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Love that quote by McDavid – that’s not a “media-education” driven quote – that’s Connor speaking the truth.

I’m not overly worried at this point about finding that shooter for McDavid – lets not forget, he’s still on his ELC – we just got 97.

With that said, the only real possibility for a higher end shooter in our almost ready pool of prospects is JP.

It will be very intriguing to see how many steps forward JP takes this year.

5. leadfarmer says:

Ryan Strome and gritty huh. I think he’s more of a bigger Eberle

frjohnk:
    Red Wings also have 10 NTC/NMC contracts.A couple million over the limit.Yup, cap hell.

Athanasiou wont be coming here.We may make an offer, but Calgary will make a lesser one and get him.

It’s a huge opportunity, this guy is young enough to grow with the McDavid group and talented enough to fly with them. Amazing opportunity.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

I was excited when I read earlier in the week that Safin will be in training camp for a team in the Q – love that he’ll be in North America on North American ice.

8. deankb says:

Connor McDavid is going to win a Stanley Cup. Full stop. Let that sink in.

Have a happy Thursday people!

9. OriginalPouzar says:

I though I read yesterday that Athanasiou had a fairly sizeable offer from the KHL?

10. russ99 says:

I hope Yakimov has a good camp and stays in Bakersfield. We’ll likely need a less expensive replacement for Letestu a year or two down the road, and it would be nice to have multiple possibilities, Khaira looks like one too.

I’m very high on Strome, mostly for a skill he has that fits in really well with the group and McLellan’s shoot and recover systems, the ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone under pressure and do something with it. Play him in the top 6 and that will result in more scoring chances.

11. frjohnk says:

russ99: I hope Yakimov has a good camp and stays in Bakersfield

He is in Russia.

12. flyfish1168 says:

Would RNH for, Darren Helm and Andreas Athanasiou be a good trade. I would seriously consider this. JMHO

13. slopitch says:

I read the McDavid article and thought Dylan for Nuge as well. But I cant really see how Phx does that.

Landing AA would be a stealth add. I suspect the cost wouldnt be too dear either but a contract would need to be on the way out? We are all sitting here hoping the Oilers will add an offensive RHD. But if one doesnt become available, any upgrade is a welcome move to the roster. Its go time. I wonder if the Oilers could work Mike Green in too. Help them with their cap issues ha. I read the other day that Zetterberg is playing 2 years and retiring (he has 4 years left on his front loaded deal). Thats too bad its 1 year too long. He’d still be a beauty vet to add for a playoff push.

14. sammycfd says:

I think your RE for Conner was very reasonable. I’m surprised how few people are predicting him to go off though. I thought he took a huge step last year but he’s so unbelievably talented, I think he’ll take another massive step this year. It’s gonna be so fun watching him!

15. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:

I’m very high on Strome, mostly for a skill he has that fits in really well with the group and McLellan’s shoot and recover systems, the ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone under pressure and do something with it.Play him in the top 6 and that will result in more scoring chances.

Sorry to ruin your dreams already but Yakimov has signed in the KHL – he won’t be at camp or in Bakersfield.

16. russ99 says:

OriginalPouzar,

Doh.

It would be nice to develop out next 4th line/PK center instead of paying a lesser veteran $1-1.5M.

17. Zack says:

Athanasiou would seem like a steal at ~3 Million AAV.

Fast, averaging just under 12 mins a game and scoring 18 goals this past year and can kill penalities.

Here’s a quote from the article:

“Despite demolishing his teammates in points per 60 minutes, Athanasiou is still used sparingly in the lineup. He’s only averaged just over 11 minutes per game between his first two seasons in the NHL even though his speed, size, explosiveness and smooth hands are exactly the way the game is trending. He barely gets power-play time and even though he’s arguably one of the Wings best penalty killers…”

18. Oil2Oilers says:

What would Detroit want from the Oilers for Andreas Athanasiou?

It seems they can’t afford anyone cap wise. Would the be interested in a bushel full of LHD prospects?

It is kind of unfortunate timing for the Oilers, there is an acute experience gap on Right Wing this year but a strong future. Left wing is has all kinds of experience this year but a long term depth/talent issue. A player like Athanasiou would be a good Maroon replacement when he prices himself of the roster.

I suspect acquiring a player like this will be high on LT’s to do list for Chiarelli next summer.

19. dustrock says:

LT, love the David Bowie reference.

Great late-era song and album.

dustrock:
    LT, love the David Bowie reference.

Great late-era song and album.

The man was incredible.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:
    OriginalPouzar,

Doh.

Yakimov may still turn out to be that guy.

It was a bit of a surprise but, even after he signed in the KHL, the Oilers still tendered a Qualifying Offer which means we retain his rights. He’s an RFA (no contract) but Oiler property.

It seems to me that the organization either (a) thinks he may still be able to play a role in the future or (b) is looking to add his trade rights as a sweetener in a deal.

22. slopitch says:

Zack,

My original thought was Jones+3rd for AA. Enough? I dunno.

23. Oil12111975 says:

What did you make of 97’s comment in that interview “Its not always the best roster that wins, its the best team.”? Could it be that the elusive balance photo you are wanting to post isnt the goal of the braintrust after all?

Maybe they saw enough last year to know they had the right dressing room mojo, and the goal was to keep the group together and tinker only at the fringes. It would certainly explain the moves and signings this summer.

24. Zack says:

slopitch:
    Zack,

My original thought was Jones+3rd for AA. Enough? I dunno.

As per the article:

“Per offer sheet rules, if the AAV is between $1.82M and $3.65M teams would only give up a second round pick as compensation.”

I think that would be more than enough, if they were to offer sheet they would only receive a second, assuming that Detroit couldn’t match around 3 Mill AAV, so a decent prospect and a third you could probably offer less, given the situation.

I would probably stray away from trading Jones/Bear but may offer someone like Simpson + 3rd to see if they’d bite.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Zack: As per the article:

I think this brings up a couple of interesting discussion points:

1) this brings to light the 50 contract rule – a team like the Oilers might prefer to do a trade in order to relieve itself of a contract as opposed to an offer sheet whereby they would just add a contract and take them to 49 (with three slides);

2) the worth of a Simpson vs. a Jones/Bear in a trade. Of course, the potential of both Bear and Jones is much higher than Simpson who tops out as a solid 3rd pairing d-man (potential). With that said, Simpson is all but NHL ready – in fact, I’m comfortable with him getting some games on the 3rd pairing right now. While Jones and Bear have much higher potentials, they are both a year if not 2-3 years away from NHL time and neither of them may actually develop in to NHL players. I think I’d deal Simpson as well but its not as cut and dry I don’t think.

26. season not played says:

RNH to Montreal for Phillip Danault

Good faceoffs, PK, grit, cost controlled. Would be a perfect 3C for this team.

Just not sure of two things.

A) Montreal does it? I believe one of Juliens first moves was elevating him to 1C.

B) Whether the Oil can take any salary back in an RNH deal.

Yep, bleeding value on paper…you know what, given what we have seen of of Nuge lately, this isn’t even really bleeding value on paper. Only if you are looking at draft pedigree I suppose, but as we have learned with the majority of our 1 OVs you need to look past that pretty quick.

27. Bag of Pucks says:

deankb:
    Connor McDavid is going to win a Stanley Cup. Full stop. Let that sink in.

Rad. I hope it’s with the Oilers.

I keed. I keed.

28. admiralmark says:

Chiarelli better be burning up the phone lines for this Athanasiou cat. If he can get him for nothing but a 2nd and a prospect… Why the hell wouldn’t he? This goes for any GM. I think he could most definitely be a permanent cog in the Oilers top 6 for many years. I personally promise to wipe completely from memory any and all previous poor Chiarelli moves and give him a clean slate if he can pull this off. 🙂

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Don’t get me wrong, Athanasiou is an inriguing player to kick the tires on but I think some of us are getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

He’s 23 and had 29 points in 64 games last year – those numbers are in line with Ryan Stome’s – slightly better.

He shoots left and we are pretty much set on the left side for this up and coming season – not that we couldn’t improve but it not an area of huge need right now (maybe after Patty leaves next year and Jussi possibly as well).

Not to mention, he may be off to the KHL this year and we don’t want to give up assets for a player leaving the hemisphere.

Again, intriguing idea but not as cut and dry as some are making it out to be.

30. Zack says:

season not played:
    RNH to Montreal for Phillip Danault

Good faceoffs, PK, grit, cost controlled. Would be a perfect 3C for this team.

Just not sure of two things.

B) Whether the Oil can take any salary back in an RNH deal.

Due to the cap unfortunately we’ll have to trade Nuge. I’d much rather deal Lucic than Nuge to relieve cap space, due to age and versatility in the line up.

Nuge is a quality two way center and I was reading the other day (Maybe it was on Because Oilers?) compared to most the forward crop, RNH saw minimal time with McDavid and boosted Russel’s stats, keeping his head above water. I’m not saying we don’t value Nuge but I think he goes undervalued for what he does for this team.

I say pump up Nuge’s game, slot him first line with McDavid for the first 20-30 games of the season, wait till he’s red hot and deal him. He may not fetch a Seth Jones but aim for the sky while we can.

We can easily go…

Maroon – McDavid – RNH
    Lucic – Draisaitl – Slepy
    Jokinen – Strome – Puljujarvi
    Drake – Letestu – Kassian

31. doritogrande says:

Simple solution is to move Jokinen (who can play both sides expertly) over to RW. Solves the log-jam at LW and the experience issues at RW in one transaction.

Maroon-Strome/Leon
    Lucic-Jokinen
    AA-Slepyshev
    Caggiula-Kassian

doritogrande:

Maroon-Strome/Leon
    Lucic-Jokinen
    AA-Slepyshev
    Caggiula-Kassian

Jokinen is definitely a major option in all kinds of areas. RW becomes far more experienced with him there.

Bogdan Yakimov had an assist today in his game, 1 shot, 14:17 and another strong (11W 7L) night in the faceoff circle. A good start to his season.

Oil12111975:

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Solid ice time in his first couple of games. Good to see.

I think qualifying him was a good move – might as well keep his right and, without a contract, it doesn’t even count on the 50.

36. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: I think the Flames have more balance but the Oilers have a better roster. I think the Oilers would have a better chance to win with a balanced roster that included their most talented players.

We’ll disagree on this, like we have before. To me CGY is significantly weaker at center and at forward in general. That is not to say Monahan and Backlund aren’t good, but they’re not good enough night after night, tough after tough. If they had Drai, then I’d be scared. Their D corps is significantly more skilled than the majority of their forwards not named Jonny. That is not more balanced.

Inverse Oilers. Combine the teams, move them to Red Deer then conquer the world!

37. oscarmike says:

Watching Andreas Athanasiou highlights Oilers would be stupid not to call up Detroit to see what’s up. Can’t believe he only played a handful of minutes. Fast skater that can deke/stickhandle and has a hard shot. Unbelievable that Detroit didn’t make him a priority.

38. leadfarmer says:

Until Smiths groin gives out. Then all the balance in the world isnt going to help them

39. Jethro Tull says:

oscarmike:

The Wings are still trying to run the team as if they still had Lidstrom and Datsyuk in their prime coming back next year.

Well, we wanted to know if the Wings got to be good because of astute scouting and player development, or lucking into to two of the biggest low-draft position success stories. Probably a mixture of both. Not every lottery win is a Connor McDavid. Could be a Zetterberg or a Datsyuk.

40. Georges says:

If there are any long timers around this afternoon, who are some of the more interesting posters who’ve moved on from the site or post rarely? Here are some folks I know:

DSF
    GMoney
    Steve Smith (posts rarely)
    mc97hockey
    stevezie (posts rarely)
    New Improved Darkness (posts rarely)

41. Woodguy v2.0 says:

season not played:
    RNH to Montreal for Phillip Danault

Good faceoffs, PK, grit, cost controlled. Would be a perfect 3C for this team.

Just not sure of two things.

B) Whether the Oil can take any salary back in an RNH deal.

I bet you could get MTL to add a pick to that as well.

I like Danault and was thinking of someone like this as a Nuge replacement vis a vis Kruger who was traded for only a 5th(!!!)

I don’t think Danault’s points were an aberration last year either.

He scored over 1pt/gm in his draft year in the Q while playing on the 2nd line for Victoriaville. Doing that one a 2nd line is under-rated in the draft.

If they have to trade Nuge I think getting a player like Danault or Kruger is the ideal replacement.

Georges:

DSF
    GMoney
    Steve Smith (posts rarely)
    mc97hockey
    stevezie (posts rarely)
    New Improved Darkness (posts rarely)

Jon Willis
    Ice Dragoon
    Ben Massey
    Vic Ferrari
    BlackDogHatesSkunks
    Momentai

Too many to mention. All wonderful, as are the posters who drop by these days. The shared knowledge that has been left in these comments section has been most enjoyable.

43. Georges says:

Lowetide: Jon Willis
    Ice Dragoon
    Ben Massey
    Vic Ferrari
    BlackDogHatesSkunks
    Momentai

Thank you Longest Timer. I’ll have a Google.

44. Pink Socks says:

oscarmike:

Zetterberg will have to be traded. I don’t think he has an NMC. Ken Holland has crippled that team for the foreseeable future. Between Nielsen, Nyquist, and DeKeyser it’s a good debate at which one is the worst, but he also has 10(!) NMC or NTC on the roster, all of which are on average players.

I’m sure they would have wanted to make AA a priority, but already ~$3m over the cap with only $4m coming off when Franzer hits LTIR, they just have no room. I think it’s a safe bet that they are a lotto team this season.

45. thehop says:

Georges,

Uhhh Deadmanwaking/deadmanwalking… I think of him as the deadman.. is 100% the all time obscure/awesome/rarely posts guest on this site.

Melvin is funny too.

46. thehop says:

Also Jock.E.Strap and Amanda Plow are legends too.

Welcome to Moe’s 😊

47. Georges says:

Lowetide: Jon Willis
    Ice Dragoon
    Ben Massey
    Vic Ferrari
    BlackDogHatesSkunks
    Momentai

Memory lane, July 5, 2007:

Favorite quote from the comments:

Finally, I am an Oilers Fan. It is not a sin to stick with it even in the dark times you appear to revel in. I will cheer for Smid and Nilson and Nash next year – not against them as you will. See you back on the bandwagon next time the Oil make the finals.

48. Georges says:

thehop:
    Georges,

Melvin is funny too.

Thank you, sir!

Georges: Memory lane, July 5, 2007:

Favorite quote from the comments:

Haha. There’s gold in them there hills!

50. stephen sheps says:

Georges:

DSF
    GMoney
    Steve Smith (posts rarely)
    mc97hockey
    stevezie (posts rarely)
    New Improved Darkness (posts rarely)

another of the classic posters who is still around on the twitters and who I miss terribly is HBomb. His drink recipes on game nights were the stuff of legend during many long cold winter nights.

Lowetide: Ben Massey

Who of course in those days went by Lord Bob rather than his real name… As did Derek Zona via his coach PB(a series of numbers I don’t recall) handle. The original Copper N Blue team were always welcome reads. Scott Reynolds of course as well. Those guys were the best. It’s a good thing we still have Bruce.

51. Bruce McCurdy says:

stephen sheps,

Thanks, Shepso! A shoutout here for your old running mate RavenTalon40

52. stephen sheps says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Anthony and I had some funny chats over the years, and more than a few emails were exchanged, but we never actually worked together on anything.

But yes, RavenTalon40 was absolutely a memorable part of those early days (or at least my early days, which were the later years of the old blogspot blog) around these parts. Good call, Bruce!

53. New Improved Darkness says:

I decided to confine hockey to Sunday mornings for the rest of the summer at the apex of Drai anxiety.

Furthermore, my Great Pumpkin removal tool is simply not up to the challenge lately.

The real reason the Vogons™ will soon post planet earth’s demolition notice—on an unregarded planet, of Alpha Centaurian unremarkable star, in an unfashionable arm of Andromeda™, in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, in a mattress-infested loo, with a sign on the floor saying “Beware of the Bladderbug™”—is that The Restaurant at the End of the Universe™ filed for Class F™ trademark infringement, and immediate relief thereupon—and the only reason we’ve been given fiftyfive year’s grace is that it takes this long for the Diuretic Dissolution Crystals™ of Beta Carotene™ to fully effectuate (Beta Carotene™ unwisely ignored the Bladderbug™ and suffered an immensely distressing intergalactic trade blockade, but that’s all been fixed now—legs uncrossed—with appropriate signage where conspicuous signage is displayed to best effect for heads-down peanut abusers in the palm-adoring post-Hiker™ age).

Additionally, the Vogons are going in bigly on the solar drop sheets—due to extremely careful matter/antimatter superposition, less than an atom’s thickness (which makes them cheap to transport, though they do take a billion-armed Kunzage™ to fold)—because any splash damage from the orange dissolution beam of Beta Carotene™ could potentially dim and squish and diminish the earth’s sun into an orange dwarf—and these types of formerly toastworthy stars can linger on cold and pathetic for 15 to 30 billion years, like next door’s nigh unshakable—dare I say it?—wee knee-high Alpha Centauri B.

Just my two sentences worth, before snapping back into conformance with zip-it good (which is actually Rimmer’s best salute, though I digress).