RIESEN TO BELIEVE VOL. 3: BRIDGE

We’re right on the edge of seeing the rookie camp rosters and possibly a straggler PTO or two. Since we last chatted 19 days ago there have been subtle changes in the weather and I suspect we have things surrounded based on what we know. What don’t we know? Oh my, what a list! Injuries are one thing, but someone on this list trained like a demon and someone else trained a little less than one year ago. We’ll know soon, but as of now here’s how I see things. Several forwards have increased their chances of making the team, mostly because Edmonton hasn’t brought in options for the 12-14F jobs. Note: At this point one year ago, we didn’t know about Kris Russell and Matt Benning had a 15 percent chance of making the team. Lesson: Things change.

THE FORWARDS

1. C Connor McDavid, 20. We should have lost the awe by now, we’ve been watching him long enough to adjust to scale. And yet, he still amazes. His speed is witchcraft.  100%.
  2. C-R Leon Draisaitl, 21. Leon’s contract is done and now comes the pressure. I think that could be a factor, but for me the big issue is where he plays. If the Oilers are going to move Nuge to McDavid’s RW and Leon to replace 93 on a tough minutes line? Well, we’ll have to wait and see but I’m not enthused. My bet is he remains 70 percent with The One, 30 percent with regular humans. 100%.
  3. L Patrick Maroon, 29. I keep thinking Peter Chiarelli might try signing some of these players who need contracts next summer. Maroon is going to be a tough one, would seem to be a lock for 97’s line and that might mean 25 goals in his walk year. 100%.
  4. L Milan Lucic, 29. The power-play numbers were not expected based on his own past, so if Lucic can recover 5×5 scoring back to his own established average things should be grand for the big man. 100%.
  5. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 24. Nuge is a solid two-way center who plays gigantic competition, but there seems to be a train of thought in the organization that his offense needs to be saved. Hopefully we see him back at center on a tough minutes line by end October. 100%.
  6. C-R Ryan Strome, 24. My RE prediction (40 points) is lower than most but I’m comfortable with it. There are also observers who don’t think he’ll surpass his 30 points from a year ago. I think he’ll find a good spot in the batting order and take advantage. 100%.
  7. L Drake Caggiula, 23. He has chem with McDavid and could see some 5×5 time with him. Caggiula will be in a fight for playing time all year but if he can establish himself as a top 9F he could be an Oiler for a long time. 100%.
  8. R Zack Kassian, 26. His foot speed is the best of his career and with opportunities on RW we may see him playing a feature role at times this year. 100%.
  9. L Jussi Jokinen, 34. Jokinen can play any position and in all three disciplines. I’d prefer he play on a line with Jesse Puljujarvi, the mentor role might be his most important to the team. 100%.
  10. RC Mark Letestu, 32. He is so useful on the power play and penalty kill, kind of squeezes his 5×5 appearances. I’ll be interested to see if Todd McLellan cuts down TOI in one of these areas. 100%.
  11. R Anton Slepyshev, 23. He scored well in the KHL before coming over and stepped forward this past season at the NHL level. Can he score 15 goals in a top 9F role? If he can, Oilers will have found a rare third-round gem. 100%.
  12. R Jesse Puljujarvi, 19. The one thing we should hope for this season, among the young forwards, is a big step forward for JP. He’s big, strong, talented. Can he score goals? Can he get that shot off quickly? Another chapter on the way. 100%.
  13. L Jujhar Khaira, 23. The Oilers like his size, speed and grit. As is the case with the young forwards trying to establish themselves, it’ll come down to offense for Khaira. 70%.
  14. R Iiro Pakarinen, 25. He is the bubble player entering camp. He can penalty kill, which gives him an advantage over all others below him (1:09 a game in 2015-16). 50%.
  15. R Ty Rattie, 24. Rattie is a goal-scoring option. He probably doesn’t make the big team but might be an early callup for a skill line. He can score goals. 20%.
  16. R Kailer Yamamoto, 18. Electric skills and another goal scorer. A small winger, he will impress if given chances. If he is here late in camp, the club may give him nine games. 20%.
  17. LC Brad Malone, 28Malone can play center, wins faceoffs, penalty kills and it won’t hurt him to sit in the pressbox for long stretches. 10%.
  18. R Mitch Callahan, 25. Consistent AHL performer, he brings skill with some physical play and that combination appeals to the Oilers. He may show very well in camp. 10%.
  19. L Joey Laleggia, 25He is a long shot but what he brings is very valuable. If we see him getting some time with the NHLers and extra games in pre-season, we’ll have a story. 10%.
  20. C Joe Gambardella, 23He is not a high end prospect but could emerge as an NHL option (over time, likely a season or two). I’ll give him a slight chance to slide into a useful utility role at the back of the roster. 10%.

THE DEFENSE

1. L Oscar Klefbom, 24. Oscar will be asked to play more and deliver the quality play we saw a year ago. He emerged as a confident puck mover a year ago, and could grab more time on the power play. 100%.
  2. R Adam Larsson, 24. Larsson rocks steady and contributed to improved balance and depth inside Edmonton’s top 4D. He’ll be asked to play more this season and will need to be part of what we hope is a substantial answer to last year’s PK. 100%.
  3. L Andrej Sekera, 31. How long is he gone, and what level can he play upon return? 0.
  4. L Kris Russell, 30. My guess is LH side with Matt Benning. One of the big items from a year ago was his ‘running luck’ and he did regress later in the year. The dice have no memory, so which version of Russell do the Oilers get this coming season? 100%.
  5. R Matt Benning, 23. He is my choice for elevation to the second pairing, that jives with Todd McLellan’s usage one year ago. Defenders rarely develop in a straight line but he looked so good adjusting to this level it’s difficult to remain neutral on him. 100%.
  6. L Darnell Nurse, 22. The indicators on Nurse have him as part of the McDavid cluster, and that means he’s going to be here a long time and in a prominent role. Can he handle the big minutes? We should see him in that role for at least a portion of the year. 100%.
  7. R Eric Gryba, 29. Played 40 games as 7D last season, saw action in three playoff games. I think he’ll be in the mix for regular third-pairing activity but may not hold that job. As of now, he is a lock for the roster. 100%.
  8. L Yohann Auvitu, 27. New signing gives the team a much needed addition to the mobile passers on the team. I don’t think he’s a lock for the roster but he has a good chance. 55%.
  9. R Mark Fayne, 30. He can defend but his foot speed is an issue, he does not play a rugged game and the offense is minimal. I don’t think he’ll be on the team other than recall. 15%.
  10. L Ryan Stanton, 27. He appears poised to battle Auvitu for the 7D spot this fall, he has done some penalty killing in the past and that may become a big deal. 14%.
  11. LD Keegan Lowe. Top 4D role in Bakersfield, where does he sit on callup list? I’ll be very interested to see where he ranks on the Oilers depth chart this season. He could be an early recall, Lowe is a good fit for Chiarelli/McLellan teams. 7%
  12. LD Dillon Simpson. Excellent chance he plays some NHL games this year and we’ll see if he ends the season No. 11 on the depth chart. History tells us he’ll pass someone. 5%
  13. LD Ziyat PaiginThe verbal coming out on him is very strong but he’s probably a year away from pushing for a roster spot. Expect a lot of early talk from Bakersfield to surround mobility, we should get a clear picture on him by March. 2%
  14. RD Ethan Bear. Bear finished off a fabulous junior career in fine style but the workload increases in a big way this fall. I expect a full season in Bakersfield, with a cup of coffee in the NHL possible. We should be looking for effective 5×5 play, and I’m sure they’ll want to see him on the power play. 1%
  15. LD Caleb Jones. Fastest and most mobile of the new pro defensemen, that sometimes means a fast track. We’ve been advancing Jones alongside Bear since they were drafted seven picks apart, looking forward to seeing how each advances at pro level. 1%

THE GOALIES

1. Cam Talbot, 30. Posted a fantastic season and there’s no reason (injury aside) to doubt his ability to repeat it. I think they will try to reduce his number of starts, but bet he gets at least 65 anyway. 100%.
  2. Laurent Brossoit, 24. You would like to see him get 25 starts but that’s probably a year away. If he can hold on to the backup job, perhaps there is more. One step at a time. 90%.
  3. Nick Ellis, 23. I include him because there’s always a chance someone gets hurt and the Ellis resume is very good. 10%.

THE OUTSIDERS

• G Eddie Pasquale. AHL veteran could get some NHL time.
  • G Shane StarrettAnother college goalie turning pro. Strong resume.
  • G Dylan Wells. Slide rule, he’ll spend one more year in junior.
  • G Stuart Skinner. He has a solid resume and the Oilers love him.
  • LD Ben Betker. Big man should get a full AHL season.
  • RD Ryan Mantha. Big man, big shot, good speed. Duplicates Bear’s skill set.
  • LD Dmitri Samorukov. Intriguing two-way defender.
  • LD Liam Schioler. TC invite, big defender will play in Penticton.
  • C Grayson Downing. Skilled center coming off subpar second AHL season.
  • RC Josh Currie. Back on an AHL deal, he has skill and two-way ability.
  • RC Kyle Platzer. We’ll know by Christmas if the Oilers have any plan for him.
  • L Ryan Hamilton. AHL only deal, he’ll get some time with the big club in camp.
  • L Braden Christoffer. Final year of entry deal coming up.
  • L Evan Polei. Size and skill (6.02, 227 and 33 WHL goals) are intriguing.
  • L Tyler BensonSlide rule, may get some pre-season games if healthy.
  • L Ostap Safin. Size, speed and skill. First Oilers camp on the way.
  • R Zach O’Brien. May end up being an important player for the Condors.
  • R Patrick Russell. Scored only 8 times as rookie pro. Needs to fill the net this year.
  • R Greg Chase. Final year of entry-level deal ahead, has shown only flashes.
  • R Brian Ferlin. Effective when healthy. Has had substantial injury issues.
  • R Dave Gust. Small skill winger. AHL deal.
  • R Chad Butcher. AHL deal, skilled RW played in Medicine Hat 2011-17.
  • R Kirill Maksimov. High risk skill winger might be a draft steal.
  • R Trey Fix-Wolansky. TC invite highly skilled and could make noise in Penticton.

50-MAN

There is room, but not a lot. It’s also possible we see the team make a trade in order to make room should the need arise. Peter Chiarelli suggested it would be quiet and that has been the case.

40 Responses to "RIESEN TO BELIEVE VOL. 3: BRIDGE"

1. dustrock says:

Hard to believe that any of the forwards will be a revelation on the same level as Benning was for the D.

I’m still confused about the Lucic-Drai-Sleppy line. Posted some good goal results but got hammered possession wise, IIRC.

2. supernova says:

Wonder how many at Bats JJ Khaira will get at Center. Would love to see him
    Get some run As a Center for down the road.

In the playoffs, Leon played 34 minutes with Slepyshev (34 percent Corsi 5×5) and 47 minutes with Lucic (38 percent). Both men were 3GF and 3GA in the playoffs with LD. It’s all too small a sample size. Leon with Lucic in the regular season (53 percent in 209 minutes) was a nice strong number, don’t know how much McDavid played with those two, though.

4. sumaclab says:

Depends on where LD plays. If he plays 1st line everything else is as you say. If TM moves him to 2cd line center its a toss up on RW. It could mean a Strome on 1st line RW. Or it could mean a Kailer Yamamoto blowing our minds and stepping up to play 1St line RW. Or it could mean another player who steps up. The Defence. I like our 7. But injuries as we know will play a big role. I think training camp decides who will be here the first time someone goes down. I think the Oilers will be looking for Lowe and Simpson to show well in training camp. Lowe is physical. Simpson can play the puck. The Oilers defense does not need to do a lot. But the one thing it needs to do is be physical. Larsson proved that last year. So did Russel. Blocked shots. Hard on the puck. Talbot needs to see less shots. And the key to that is a defence that plays physical in your face defence.

5. Brantford Boy says:

When the roster is displayed like this I just envy the depth… there are a couple weak areas that have been discussed at length… really like the prospect pool as well. Chiarelli has built a really good NHL team in short order, although significant injuries could derail the whole damn thing… think happy thoughts, happy thoughts, Christmas, Easter Bunny, Rainbows, Connor McDavid.

6. dustrock says:

dustrock: Thanks for that. I will say playing Anaheim game after game will also affect the stats. It just seems like a large portion of the fanbase thinks this line is set in stone.

Todd McLellan works in pairs, so I do think Lucic-Draisaitl could appear often. However, Puljujarvi could be the third man, a lot of what he brings matches the other two men in my opinion.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

There are not many competitions for roster spots this year, roster deployment, yes, but roster spots, no.

Assuming no injuries, it will be interesting to see the battle between Kharia, Pakarinan, Rattie, Malone, Joe G. for the last forward two forward spots (or 3 if they go with 14 forwards).

Assuming no injuries, it will be interesting to see the battle between Fayne, Simpson, Auvitu, Stanton for the last 2 d-spots (or 1 d-spot if they only carry 7 and carry 14 forwards).

Of course, I look forward to watching Kailer but he won’t be an Oiler this year. Same goes for the 4D (Bear, Jones, Mantha, Paigin) but, aside from Paigin, they’ve all attended NHL training camps before.

I’m looking forward to seeing Maksimov and Safin as well – love those picks.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

supernova:
    Wonder how many at Bats JJ Khaira will get at Center. Would love to see him
    Get some run As a Center for down the road.

I am hoping he is able to take the full time 4C job next season – I wonder if Joey G. will provide some internal competition?

I want him to work on becoming a regular penalty killer by the end of the year – with his speed, he should be able to be very effective on the PK with some experience.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

I think pretty much all forwards generally had poor number with Lucic at ES this season as, frankly, Lucic was quite poor 5X5, in particular in the first half of the year when he was skating in quicksand and couldn’t make an easy play with the puck.

Lucic should be better this season.

11. Melvis says:

Walter Becker. Rest in peace.

Steely Dan.The ne plus ultra of sophisticated musical and lyrical intelligience.

12. OmJo says:

Maybe I’m crazy but if I’m the Oilers I start JP in the AHL this season, unless he absolutely dominates pre-season.

13. Melvis says:

If you’re interested…

Steely Dan Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party (2000) – Two Against Nature

I’ve got the dvd, but it’s on youtube.

14. dustrock says:

OmJo:

dustrock: If that’s the case, would be great to see him recalled like Leon, never going back again.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

Joey G!!!!!!!

17. sliderule says:

Lowetide: I think it might benefit him but the Condors don’t have a fabulous center to play him with down there.

Sending JP to Fleming would be worst thing oilers could do.

Just ask Marincin and Yakimov .

If you can’t work a deal for him to play in WHL send him to Europe.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

JP will not be going to Europe!

The AHL will be fine – Fleming will get express instructions on deployment.

I would expect 15-20 games in Bakersfield and I would expect him to be one of the best offensive players in the league prior to his recall.

19. Bag of Pucks says:

Melvis:
    Walter Becker. Rest in peace.

Stellar musician. Sad news.

20. Richard S.S. says:

The composition of each and every Oiler Team, from this point forward, must fit under the Cap. Hard choices will be made each year to insure this happens. The money that gets spent goes on the top three Centers, the top four Defenseman and the starting Goaltender. Everyone else must work cheap. The Oilers are not quite there yet.

Richard S.S.:
    The composition of each and every Oiler Team, from this point forward, must fit under the Cap.Hard choices will be made each year to insure this happens.The money that gets spent goes on the top three Centers, the top four Defenseman and the starting Goaltender.Everyone else must work cheap.The Oilers are not quite there yet.

The last bonus baby to go through will be Puljujarvi, so two more seasons of large bonus estimates. Lucic will be the only expensive winger.

22. defmn says:

I agree that Nurse is thought of as part of the McDavid cluster by management but that just leaves me wondering why we haven’t heard any talk about a contract extension.

Surely they have seen enough of him to have an idea about his ceiling and he isn’t going to get any cheaper by waiting so I would think this was the summer to get that done.

defmn:

24. LeonorMcdraivid says:

Hello together,
    this is my first comment and my english isn’t the best like Mcdavid is actually in Hockey. I ‘ve watched every single game last season , so this steals much oft my sleep,because i’m from germany and oilers-fan since the 90’s.
    I’m reading here for round about 3 years. Now I want to comment ,if my time says yes, in some threads. I’ m ready for the upcoming season and hope, all Oilers Fans will geht what we want. And again,sorry for my Bad school english.

25. Richard S.S. says:

Who should be an Oiler going forward? Skating should not be an issue. Skating well and with some speed must be a priority. Not every Oiler passes this test. Might they not be an Oiler much longer? The ability to play well with McDavid is a necessity. That should a the major qualification for top six duties. Lucic has yet to pass this test, but I think he will.

Hockey Players need to be at least very good at either Defense or Offense and at least good or better at everything else, that includes skating. Finding Players this good is not easy. Some Players excel at what they do. Oilers need these players. Some Players need a push to get there. Oilers can use these players. Some Players aren’t quite good enough. The Oilers do not need these players, yet they drafted some before. Some Players will never get there. The Oilers must avoid these players, yet they drafted some before. I think that’s changed now.

26. defmn says:

Lowetide: There’s no hurry. He wouldn’t be vulnerable to an offer sheet and both sides will want to see another season to better estimate value.

I’m not so sure about that. Business decisions are almost always about timing. It is easy now to see that waiting an extra year to sign Draisaitl cost the team a fair amount of cap space. Not saying that as a criticism so much as an example. Management has had lots of time to assess Nurse’s ceiling and floor. I don’t believe he has as much potential for regression as he does for progression so I would make the call now and at least try and get it done sooner rather than later. I’m not concerned at all about an offer sheet but I am concerned about the cap and the team’s ability to retain players they see as part of their core.

27. Chachi says:

LeonorMcdraivid:
    Hello together,

Your english is better than many people who post here for whom english is a first language. I hope your dedication to the Oilers is paid back with much joy this season.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn:

I disagree with the 2nd paragraph as well as Nurse to me is still quite a wild card – there is so much potential with this player, he has so many top end skills – the question is still the hockey sense and IQ and if he’ll be able to put it all together.

He is still very much a developing player and his top end is unknown.

LeonorMcdraivid:
    Hello together,

Your English is excellent! Welcome aboard!

30. LeonorMcdraivid says:

Chachi: Your english is better than many people who post here for whom english is a first language. I hope your dedication to the Oilers is paid back with much joy

Thank you, but now i realize, that reading ist much easier than writing.
    I like the idea of switching Leon between C and RW, the Hockey IQ and the great Passing skill makes him a great winger for Mcdavid,it means that mcd is maybe in more positions to shoot. On the other side the flexibilty to move Leon to C is a big challenge for every opponent.

By the way, ‘dedication’ was the next word in my Google translator toolbar 😉

31. OmJo says:

Yup, that’s the hope at least.

sliderule: Sending JP to Fleming would be worst thing oilers could do.

Just ask Marincin and Yakimov .

If you can’t work a deal for him to play in WHL send him to Europe.

In the AHL he has to compete with Rattie and Pak (?) for icetime. If he can’t outperform them in the AHL anyway then he probably shouldn’t be in the NHL yet. I know that’s probably not what you meant about Fleming, though.

32. defmn says:

OriginalPouzar: At this point in his career, Nurse isn’t the type of player that you lock up with term a year in advance of his contract expiring unless, of course, he is will to sign with term for value dollars and I doubt that.

He is still very much a developing player and his top end is unknown.

How much and how long Nurse is willing to sign for is unknown. My point was that we haven’t even heard rumours of attempted negotiations. On the other hand management does seem to signal that they consider him part of the McDavid cluster – as has the host of this blog. If that is their determination then it seems reasonable to me to take steps to set the financial details.

Nurse is 4 years out from his draft year and has established himself as a 3rd pairing guy with a variety of positives above that level. Is he going to get worse than that or are you advocating waiting for him to establish himself as better than that and then sign a larger contract – as they did with Draisatl?

I understand that there is risk. There is with every player you sign for mor than a year or more than can be buried in the AHL. But if Nurse is seen as part of the ‘cluster’ then what is the upside of waiting until he has increased his cap hit with a good season? To me this makes little sense. Anybody on this board can wait until a player is proven and then pay him the ‘proven player’ rate.

In my opinion that luxury left the building with the McDavid and Draisaitl contracts this summer. Now the team has to find value contracts or risk losing important pieces every off season.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

They very well could be having initial discussions with Nurse’s team – I wouldn’t think such discussions would be something leaked to the media for reporting to the general public.

I agree that Chiarelli thinks Nurse is part of the future core and I agree with that.

I see Nurse’s floor as a very good 2nd pairing d-man and I think he has the potential to be a lower end 1st pairing d-man but who knows if he’ll get there.

With that said – I’m not sure of a contract that would work for both the team and the player at this stage.

A medium term doesn’t really work as we don’t want a contract that takes him right to UFA status or only buys a year so we are probably looking at a contract that keeps him an RFA upon expiry – i’m not sure if that’s 3 or 4 years. If Nurse is willing to sign that length of a deal at a cap of under $3M then, sure, lets do it but I think he’s come more confidence in his abilities than that.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

I think Nurse is going to have another nice development year but I can’t see him putting up the boxcars to warrant a contract next spring that would be more costly that what it would take to get him to lock in the the appropriate term right now.

35. Richard S.S. says:

Fourth Line LW and RW should be earning between $700K – $1.25 Million. Fourth Line Center might earn 10% – 20% more. Third Line LW and RW should be earning between $1.3 Million and $2.25 Million. Third Line Center might earn 10% – 20% more. 5th – 8th Defenseman should be earning $700K – $1.25 Million. Any savings means more for the other Players.

36. defmn says:

Richard S.S.:
    Fourth Line LW and RW should be earning between $700K – $1.25 Million.Fourth Line Center might earn 10% – 20% more. Third Line LW and RW should be earning between $1.3 Million and $2.25 Million.Third Line Center might earn 10% – 20% more.5th – 8th Defenseman should be earning $700K – $1.25 Million.Any savings means more for the other Players.

A ‘balanced cap’ distribution for a cap of $75 mil would look something like this imo.

Forwards – 41
    DMen – 25
    Goalies – 6.2
    Contingency – 2.8

Something like that.

Broken down further I would say it would be along the following lines.

Top 3 – 16.5 mil or 5 – 8.5 – 3
    Top 6 – 12 mil or 3.5 – 6 – 2.5
    Top 9 – 7 mil or 2 – 3.5 – 1.5
    Fourth Line – 4 mil or 1 – 2 – 1
    2 Extras – 1.5 mil

Total – 41 mil

Top 2 – 11.5 mil or 7 – 4.5
    Top 4 – 8.5 mil or 5 – 3.5
    Third Pair – 4 mil or 2.5 – 1.5
    1 Extra – 1 mil

Total – 25 mil

Starting Goalie – 5.5 mil
    Backup – .7 mil

Total 0 6.2 mil

Now no team is constructed this way for reasons ranging from generational players to rebuilding team but I am pretty certain every capologist in the league has a template on his whiteboard that looks something like this so that he can show his GM that when he spends 12.5 mil on his top 3 centre and 8.5 mil for his top six centre that he has to find 6.5 million in savings somewhere else on the roster in order to stay cap compliant. And, of course, it doesn’t matter which winger makes the larger amount as long as the numbers come in at the right total.

Which is why every contending team needs a certain number of players on ELC’s or one year ‘end of career’ vets working for less than the value they bring to the team.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

A pipeline of players on their ELCs producing material value is essential for this team going forward.

A reason why Yamamoto simply cannot be on the team even if he’s producing some points in the pre-season – unless he can be counted on for a true top 6 role and 50 points, that contract needs to slide.

Come on Benson – have a healthy year and re-establish yourself as a real prospect.

Come on Chiarelli, find a way to improve with mid-season/deadline acquisition without using picks this year or somehow recoup them prior to the draft (ughhh, Nuge trade).

38. oscarmike says:

Maroon-McDavid-Puljujarvi
    Lucic-Nuge-Leon
    Drake-Strome-Jussi
    Slepy-Letestu-Kassian

Not in the beginning of the year but later on. I think Puljujarvi can establish himself as 1st line RW. Three things that went against Puljujarvi last year: Under-estimating the speed of the game, immaturity, and he wasn’t fluent in English language. Leon turned it around in one year. Except Leon went back to the juniors where as JP went to the minors. In the 6 games Leon spent in AHL he only had 2 points and was a -5.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

If Puljijarvi can earn the 1RW spot on merit at some point this year, that would be fantastic. The key is winning it on merit.

That’s his future spot if all works out well – if he wants to accelerate the timeline, go for it – we’ll deal with the contract issue in two years when it comes, with a cup in hand.