HEY BOGDAN

In 2016-17, six forwards spent time in both Edmonton and Bakersfield. Two could be considered organizational depth players deployed in case of emergency (Anton Lander, Iiro Pakarinen), one could be considered as an end of the roll free agent hire for depth (Taylor Beck) and three were legit prospects (Jesse Puljujarvi, Anton Slepyshev and Jujhar Khaira). This season, I see a lot more Taylor Becks and fewer legit prospects due mostly to Edmonton’s need for Puljujarvi, Slepyshev and Khaira.

POSSIBLE CONDORS WITH 16-17 5X5 NUMBERS

• All numbers via Prospect-Stats.com.
  • Slepyshev, Khaira and Puljujarvi are the top  three performers from a year ago and all are likely to spend much or all of the year in Edmonton.
  • Two players (Joey Laleggia, Ty Rattie) aren’t  well served by these numbers but this is a reflection of their AHL seasons. Laleggia smoked the second half as a LW and Rattie has been an effective AHL scorer for several seasons. Both should be big contributors to the 2017-18 Condors.
  • Greg Chase and Kyle Platzer enter the final seasons of their entry-level deals. Each would need to improve a great deal in order to earn a second contract. Braden Christoffer is in the same category, although not a draft pick by Edmonton.
  • There are 15 names listed here. Five played in the AHL with another team last season. Peter Chiarelli is grabbing talent to fill in until Tyler Benson, Graham McPhee, Aapeli Rasanen and others are ready to turn pro.
  • What about Bogdan?

CONDORS FORWARDS 2015-16

• Bakersfield had several AHL veterans and prospects on AHL-only deals, from Andrew Miller, Matt Ford and Phil McRae (veterans) to Josh Winquist, Josh Currie and Marco Roy (AHL-only deals).
  • The prospects, the signed guys, are mostly at the bottom. Jujhar Khaira and Kyle Platzer are above 2.00/60, this is in all disciplines and estimates courtesy Eric Rodgers.
  • Bogdan Yakimov left mid-season. Why did he leave mid-season?

BARONS FORWARDS 2014-15

• Numbers again Eric Rodgers.
  • Bogdan Yakimov had a pretty good season all things considered, I wonder if he was more comfortable in Oklahoma City than Bakersfield.

BOGDAN YAKIMOV

Bogdan Yakimov is off to a fine start early in the KHL season, and with so very many AHL veterans being brought in it would seem the Oilers should (and possibly are) interested in bringing him back for the 2018-19 season. It would be on an NHL deal (I believe) but Edmonton is going to need value contracts and perhaps Bodgan will be one.

• KHL 2013-14 (age 19): 33gp, 7-5-12 (9:55 TOI/game) (58.3 faceoff percentage)
  • KHL 2015-16 (age 21): 11gp, 3-1-4 (11:57 TOI/game) (59.0 faceoff percentage)
  • KHL 2016-17 (age 22): 50gp, 3-8-11 (10:10 TOI/game) (51.9 faceoff percentage)
  • KHL 2017-18 (age 23): 5gp, 0-2-2 (15:00 TOI/game) (62.9 faceoff percentage)

In terms of discussion points, this is a long ranger. That said, Edmonton needs to procure useful players and Yakimov is a giant (6.05, 232) who can win faceoffs and is taking on more of a load in the KHL (a very good league). Will we see him again? We wait.

28 Responses to "HEY BOGDAN"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

What about Joey G?

I think he’s got a decent chance at a career in the NHL with the Oilers and could play in both leagues this year.

OriginalPouzar:
    What about Joey G?

Joey G? Do you mean Joey Laleggia?

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Hey – that’s my tweet!

I’m @coopise39

The organization qualified Bodgan knowing he was headed to the KHL – they clearly aren’t done with him.

I wonder if they see him as a trade sweetner or still with potential as an Oiler?

I’ll be interested to keep following his progress this year.

OriginalPouzar:
    Hey – that’s my tweet!

I’m @coopise39

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Joey G? Do you mean Joey Laleggia?

I meant Joe G.

I’m interested to see how he does as a pro this year.

I’ve been intrigued by your description of his play and reports.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Haha! I hope it’s okay that I used it, I’ve known Patrick forever so know he’s cool with my usage.

No issues at all – was just unexpected.

Of course, you choose a tweet with a typo!

OriginalPouzar: No issues at all – was just unexpected.

Of course, you choose a tweet with a typo!

You’ve read this blog long enough to know typos are a part of the furniture. 🙂

8. Hiratij says:

Speaking of typos: Iv’e noticed, Lowetide, that you’ve had about a thousand blog posts with Anton Lander’s stats from 2014-15 and every one has had him only playing 22 games instead of 29. Makes his box scores a lot more impressive than they were (still impressive tho).

Hiratij:

Ha! That’s a product of my original post My friend Bruce McCurdy chased me all over this blog for years because one of my posts had Martin Marincin’s draft position wrong. Not just a little, like 10 points! Bruce, God love him, would patiently remind me and it only ended with Marincin’s departure.

I am a challenge! 🙂

10. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m looking forward to the team’s announcement of the Penticton roster tomorrow, hopefully.

OriginalPouzar: I meant Joe G.

I’m interested to see how he does as a pro this year.

I’ve been intrigued by your description of his play and reports.

12. Evilas says:

Anyone going to Penticton? I’ll be there for the first 2 games. I don’t know why JP wouldn’t be there, Leon was there his second year….

Any recommendations regarding food and sights? Best place to buy fruit, specifically peaches? Best winery?

Thanks in advance!

13. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Ah, yes. Gambardella. I was barbecuing and my brain went dead. I’m fascinated by his scouting report being a perfect match for team need. Plus he’s 23!

I think he’ll shine in Penticton. Don’t imagine he’ll make the roster out of camp but I’m hoping he’ll leave an impression and put himself in the conversation with Malone for a call-up.

14. Lloyd B. says:

The one great ting to see about this years Condor roster is only 3 players are 25 or older. And one of them is Pakarinen. One of the others split time between the NHL and AHL last year.

It appears an organizational shift has happened.

1) Get the kids their at bats in the AHL.
    2) Have enough tweener guys in the AHL that can reasonably fill in when injuries happen on the Oilers.

It will take another couple of years for Oiler draft picks to fill the AHL roster so they do not need a wholesale airlift for the Condors like they did this year.

Those 2012- 2014 drafts… Yeesh!!

If you squint just so, you can see the change in philosophy happening right in front of our eyes. Music!

15. Lloyd B. says:

Any of the fruit stands are great. You are going to be at the very tail end of the fruit season.

Is there a “bad” winery??

Evilas:
    Anyone going to Penticton?I’ll be there for the first 2 games.I don’t know why JP wouldn’t be there, Leon was there his second year….

Any recommendations regarding food and sights?Best place to buy fruit, specifically peaches?Best winery?

Thanks in advance!

16. russ99 says:

Lloyd B.:
    The one great ting to see about this years Condor roster is only 3 players are 25 or older.And one of them is Pakarinen.One of the others split time between the NHL and AHL last year.

It appears an organizational shift has happened.

1) Get the kids their at bats in the AHL.

Those 2012- 2014 drafts… Yeesh!!

Not sure where the offense is coming from.

I’m going to be pissed if we flush Greg Chase without giving him any decent AHL minutes during his entry level deal.

17. defmn says:

Evilas:

Thanks in advance!

18. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99: Still way too many grinders and very few skill forwards, are there even 4 centers there?

Not sure where the offense is coming from.

Benson is an absolutely key prospect.

Yakimov is still in the organization – they aren’t done with him, qualified him for a reason.

This year’s draft added much skill to the organization but the timelines on guys like Safin and Maksimov are obviously not short.

19. David says:

defmn: Burger 55 is a must if you like burgers. I know, it is just burgers. But if you like burgers you will spend a lot of time trying to find a place that does it better than they do.

I’ll second Burger 55. Great build your own burger joint.

20. Rocknrolla says:

Evilas,

Evilas:

Thanks in advance!

Went 3 of the last 4 years to the tourney. Ton of fun and a relatively cheap weekend with the boys. After the games head to the bar in the best western Accross the street. Spent some night tipping a couple With bob stauffer a couple times.

For wineries there are so many good ones depends where you want to go…if looking for local ones my top 3 are up the naramata side, NE of Penticton. Red rooster, blasted church, and poplar grove for the cheese. Tons more south and north if you want to drive an hour.

Hit me up on the twitter if you want to grab a beer @chriscurtola

21. OriginalPouzar says:

From Mark Bowie (HockeyWriters):

#Oilers prospect Tyler Benson may not see the ice in the Penticton rookie tournament this week. Hoping for a healthy season for him.

22. OmJo says:

This team really does have quite a horrible track record at developing European prospects over the last decade. Draisaitl, Slepyshev and Klefbom being the most notable exceptions so far, off the top of my head. I guess we’ll see how the new regime does with the new batch of young European prospects we’ve drafted over the last few years.

23. pts2pndr says:

Evilas,
    Re Penticton As a local I would recomend Bad Tatoo a local micro brewery very good thin crust pizza and excellent beers. Saturday morning has a downtown farmers market with some nice food options and a number of wineries with wine tastings as well as a good place to pick up peaches. The farmers market is a little more expensive for peaches with the fruit stands having better prices but depends on time avlbl. Several wineries on the Naramata Bench have excellent food with suggested wine pairings. One of my favorites is Hillside Winery. Jazz festival and Dragon boat races also on that wknd. Currently habve two fires causing smokey conditions but wx still warm so rafting the channel can be fun as well.Hope you have a blast while you are in Penticton!

24. Evilas says:

Wow, thanks all for the feedback. I don’t drink, so I am clueless about wine. My ex, however is/was a very seasoned drinker of the stuff.

Took my ex there for the first game of the tournament in 2013 on a last minute whim and paid for a winery tour beforehand; spent 7 or 8 hrs checking out 6 or 7 places and bought about $500 worth of wine (which she basically drank by herself before Christmas time I think) from various wineries. Then we had dinner at a Chinese place downtown; and afterwards we were driven to the arena, where I had parked my truck at around 10:30 am.

Got there about 15 minutes before gametime, as.planned, and then she told me she was tired and wanted to go back to the hotel, which was about a 12 minute drive from the rink. I was not very happy and I made it known to her. It definitely did not go the way I had planned, but then again neither did that 8 year-long common-law relationship. I made her stay and watch the game with me, which was not very fun for either of us, lol.

This time, with my current spouse, I expect it will be an awesome experience and I am really looking forward to seeing the D prospects in action, as well as KY and JG. And I will do my own touring, rather than spending too much time or money on things I don’t need or don’t enjoy 😁.

25. New Improved Darkness says:

Spam filtered again. Must have been all the sex and baseball references …

Nothing in the spam filter this morning, apologies.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Looking forward to an announcement from the team on the Penticton roster – hopefully today!

28. Ryan says:

I blame Lowetide, but I could read Finnish articles about JP with the help of Google translate all day long.

We’re the most interesting team in the NHL!

“Races for Jesse Puljujärvi, 19, for the NHL season are completely clear: a bigger role should be taken in the league’s most interesting team and personal development during the season should be highlighted in all aspects of the game. In addition, Puljujärvi should hit the table at the NHL’s top Oilers team.”

Source: https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9783295

I don’t always watch hockey, but when I do I prefer the Oilers.