NOWHERE TO RUN, NOWHERE TO HIDE

We’re about two decades into the century, watching elite talents emerge alongside mere humans with a work ethic. We appear to be heading into something of a lull in terms of rookie forwards who can impact immediately and that gives us a chance to look back and review. One of the questions I always have when it comes to rookies is this: Can we tell which of these kids will grow into useful skill forwards? My means of measuring offense from forwards is 5×5 scoring per 60 minutes. In the words of the great Martha Reeves, there’s nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. For the following look back, I used NHL.com (even-strength-per-60) for the first few years, 5×5 per 60 afterwards (as noted).

ROOKIE FORWARDS, 2000 TO 2004

• Glen Sather and Barry Fraser drafted Mike Comrie, Shawn Horcoff, Fernando Pisani and Jason Chimera, so there’s still a lot of those two men that drifted into this century.
  • All of the rookies who posted 1.90 or better had substantial NHL careers. Is that the line in the sand? Doesn’t explain Jarrett Stoll, who posted just 1.39/60 as a rookie.
  • Who had the best career in this group? I’ll say Ales Hemsky, you may choose another.
  • Hemsky was a killer right out of the box. The entire city spent a decade driving to that rink in the bitterest cold imaginable just to watch him play. Next time someone jokes about Hemmer, you remember that. Absolutely no fear from that guy, not one time.

ROOKIE FORWARDS, 2007 TO 2008

• No season in 2004-05, no rookies of note in 2005-06.
  • The men listed here under 2006-07 were part of the group impacted by the years when Edmonton had no designated minor league team. Offense was a big issue, Jacques didn’t piss a drop in 37 games. I really thought Pouliot would have a career, turned out Stortini and Winchester hung around the longest.
  • That’s a nice list of rookies in 2007 fall, all three heading to camp exactly one decade later. Cogliano had a terrific rookie year, Gagner got a lot of attention as the next big hope and Brodziak was similar to Chimera in that the Oilers didn’t know what they had in him.
  • If we use 1.90 (Chimera) as the cut line, then Jarret Stoll is the only outlier through 2008.

ROOKIE FORWARDS, 2009 TO 2011

• The motherlode season for rookies was 2010. There were five pretty good wingers pushing, but only two of them shine on as bona fide skill wingers now.
  • I think the Oilers got in the way of Magnus Paajarvi, coach Tom Renney admitting at the time he got lost in the shuffle. He skates so well MP will be around until he’s past 40, hope he returns to the Oilers and wins a Stanley.
  • Linus Omark could have been a solid NHL player on a more organized team. I believe that to be true.
  • Teemu Hartikainen was progressing in the organization right up until the point he was no longer in the plans. I wish I knew what happened there, he seemed at least a solid bottom 6F.
  • The three wingers (Hall, Ebere, MPS) true performed below 1.90 but that team was very poor and these kids were boats against the current even as rookies. If we say 1.75/60, Stoll remains the only one to emerge as a bona fide NHL player with a lower number.

ROOKIE FORWARDS, 2012 TO 2014

• Nuge had a fine rookie season and has been inconsistent in 5×5 scoring since. One of the chief reasons the Oilers are (reportedly) moving him to McDavid’s wing is in an effort to jumpstart that offensive touch. It isn’t the worst idea.
  • Nail Yakupov had the best 5×5/60 number of any Oilers No. 1 previous to McDavid (I am using NaturalStatTrick or Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com).
  • Mark Arcobello was an older rookie and he had no draft pedigree but I was always impressed with his intelligent play. I bet he’d make an excellent coach.

ROOKIE FORWARDS, 2015 TO 2016

• Leon Draisaitl’s number looks poor because he was unlucky and unready, but he’s made up for it since.
  • Connor McDavid’s 2.77/60 is the best of the century among Oilers rookie forwards. My what a player.
  • Jesse Puljujarvi was 1.45/60 at 18, one of the reasons I ran this was in search of a comparable. The closest? Jarret Stoll.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

We’re across two decades here and a diverse group of teams in terms of quality. Usage as rookies is also a gigantic challenge and of course some of these men were 18 and others were 25. One of the reasons I wanted to look at these numbers was Jesse Puljujarvi, who continues to be a fascinating and yet elusive study. What did this look tell me about JP? I’m not sure anything. The McDavid effect is easily the largest sun in the prospect sky over these years, so, Puljujarvi’s performance with and without remains “God’s flashlight” in the JP story.

• Jesse Puljujarvi 5×5/60 scoring with Connor McDavid: 2.86
  • Jesse Puljujarvi 5×5/60 scoring without Connor McDavid: 0.59

Small sample size alert on both fronts but you can clearly see why this might be an issue. Jesse Puljujarvi posted glorious numbers with 97, he was Luke Gazdic without. That’s a major league zoom.

LEON DRAISAITL

An article up at ISport.cz includes an interview with the big man and is highly recommended. You will want to hit google translate and the part about ‘angina’ clearly isn’t the same as your aged auntie’s maladies, but it’s an excellent read.

• Leon Draisaitl on the 80s Oilers: “I would love to be successful once. It’s nice to compare us with them. They are legends, big names, but on the other hand we play for ourselves. We must do the name for ourselves. It’s up to us how we can do that, what we’re going to do.” Source

I love this quote, it acknowledges the past without being too over the top. Work to do, what’s past is past. I lived the 80s, enjoyed every minute. However, it’s also time for a brand new day, new heroes and memories. You push, Leon, break on through to the other side.

KAILER YAMAMOTO

The next big rookie forward in the pipeline is the smallest in forever, Kailer Yamamoto. He is 2gp, 2-2-4  in WHL exhibition games and will be a feature player in Penticton and then back here for the Nait/MacEwan game. After that? Logic and reason dictate a full year in the WHL. And yet, I return to the Achilles heel of the current group of NHL hopefuls—offense. Yamamoto has a 25 percent shot by my estimate to play at least nine games with the Oilers this season. The normal move is this: Edmonton sends the young man back after a couple of exhibition games with the big club. Based on the team’s own past, I think it is reasonable to suggest that may not happen. We wait.

Note: The Lowdown takes a break today, slight chance the Oilers release their rookie roster for Penticton. If they do, I’ll update right away. Otherwise, expect another post at 5pm Edmonton time.

44 Responses to "NOWHERE TO RUN, NOWHERE TO HIDE"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Some surprising high P/60 numbers from the first few groups, namely Pisani and Horc – also Cogs.

We are light on offence on the wings but we just need 1 or 2 of the young wingers to show a spike – can they do it?

I keep forgetting JP’s great numbers with McDavid last year – such a small sample though that I wonder if they really should be disregarded?

I think 25% for Yamamoto getting NHL games this year is high.

I would go with 7.5% to play 1-9 games and 0.5% to play more than 9. That contract absolutely needs to slide unless he proves he can provide top 6 offence away from 97 and forces a roster spot.

2. maudite says:

LT,

I drank with Teemu one night awhile after he was dealt. There was a long break in the KHL season and he was in town for some reason. When I first walked into my local watering hole my friends that work the bar immediately asked me to go sit down and figure out if he was for real. It definitely was him. He ended up crashing on my couch that night because we kept drinking at my place after the bar was closed. Maybe one day we’ll cross paths and then we can bs about it over a beer.

maudite:
    LT,

I drank with Teemu one night awhile after he was dealt.There was a long break in the KHL season and he was in town for some reason.When I first walked into my local watering hole my friends that work the bar immediately asked me to go sit down and figure out if he was for real.It definitely was him.He ended up crashing on my couch that night because we kept drinking at my place after the bar was closed.Maybe one day we’ll cross paths and then we can bs about it over a beer.

4. kgo says:

Lowetide: Ha! I’ll never understand why they flushed him and signed Jesse Joensuu. I love the Finns but to my dying day I’ll believe Hartikainen was the better man.

They flushed Harti in hopes of getting Derek Zona off the Oiler blogs….

kgo: They flushed Harti in hopes of getting Derek Zona off the Oiler blogs….

Haha. Maybe.

6. barry.moore23 says:

Off topic but i just watched that Foo Fighters and Brian cover Tom Sawyer. What a great video. Peace to all my Lowetide friends. It’s almost October !! B

7. jonrmcleod says:

I’m pretty sure Ryan Strome shouldn’t be listed for 2009-10, but I could be missing something.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Side Note: I accidentally clicked on the link for the EDM/SJS Game 6 thread – 1108 comments – Holy Crap!

jonrmcleod:

Ha. Should by Ryan Stone.

OriginalPouzar:

Yes, we get some big GDT post counts.

11. jtblack says:

“The Lowdown takes a break today” – This brings up a question. Do you ever take Mrs.Lowetide on a Holiday? You deserve a break LT.

Intteresting #’s. I really hope JP’s 18 yr old #’s are low for the same reasons Leons were. Both players who clearly weren’t ready @18. I love the RW’s now, including JP. Kailer s a year away, but due to his age he has already played 3 WHL seasons (this will be his 4th), so he really should be ready next yr.

Strome’s rookie numbers = not good. Maybe he won’t ever teturn to a 50 pt guy.

Happy Labor Day All

12. jtblack says:

jtblack,

I see the Strome / Stone stuff now. I thought those were Strome’s NYI rookie #’s. But considering Strome was still in junior ……

13. Melvis says:

OriginalPouzar:

Holy crap…now put a dollar figure on the booze consumption.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

The one thing these numbers don’t take in to account is “readiness for the NHL” when deployed as an NHL rookie.

For example, the 1.90 line in the sand doesn’t apply to Leon because he was rushed and not ready for the NHL when deployed.

That verbal likely applies to Puljijarvi as well, doesn’t it?

One other thing these numbers show is age of rookie is a pretty material factor (McDavid aside). Older rookies, even those with less offensive skill such as Pisani, Horcoff, Brodiziack, show better. Another factor in Puljijarvi’s low number given he must be the youngest of every player on the list.

jtblack:
    jtblack,

I see the Strome / Stone stuff now. I thought those were Strome’s NYI rookie #’s.But considering Strome was still in junior ……

Strome’s rookie 5×5/60 from 2013-14 was 1.51 according to Natural Stat trick. Stone had a better number, but of course age was a major consideration.

OriginalPouzar:

That verbal likely applies to Puljijarvi as well, doesn’t it?

Sure, I mentioned the age issue in the article, along with deployment. The biggest issue for JP is without McDavid. He’ll be one year older and players improve markedly year over year, but it’s not clear to me the offense will be there in abundance this season.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Its definitely not clear the offensive will be there in abundance this year – definitely agree.

I do look for a material up arrow in JP’s game this year though.

I think there is quite the history of players drafted top 10 from the Swedish and Finish leagues having quite the spike in their 2nd years in North America.

Also, last summer, JP was rehabbing that material knee injury. This summer, he’ll have had the opportunity to fully train and prepare – I hope he took advantage of that.

18. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

OriginalPouzar,

Agreed.

To me, people who suggest Yammamoto will be ready next year are missing the point about being ready for deployment.

.. Johnny G. spent three seasons in NCAA after being drafted before he became a full time NHL player.
    .. Tyler Ennis spent a year in the WHL and then another in the AHL before making the show.
    .. Nathan Gerbe spent three seasons in NCAA and parts of the next two between the AHL/NHL before becoming a regular.
    .. Martin St. Louis bounced around between the AHL/IHL then AHL/NHL for three seasons before establishing himself as a roster player.
    .. Tyler Johnson spent four WHL seasons and then two in the AHL before earning a roster spot.

These are some of the finest pint sized players to appear in recent memory… there are literally scores more who didn’t make it, with or without proper seasoning.

Every time I see someone suggesting that Yammamoto will be ready for the NHL by next season I shake my head. Give the guy a chance to rip up the ‘Dub and the WJHC this year, then transition into the AHL next season to see how he takes the next step.

Perhaps the pint sized skill player’s development curve is similar to defensemen.

19. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar,

Maybe its just wishful thinking and dreaming but hopefully Jokinen’s presence and friendship (presumably) will have a material effect. I’ve read great things about his mentorship and hockey smarts. …. – Absolutely this mattters. Whether or not it means JP will score is a totally separate issue, but at least he’ll be able to have an after game meal with someone & ask questions during practice and just be comfortable with his transition to the NHL / North America; unlike last year

20. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    OriginalPouzar,

Agreed.

Every time I see someone suggesting that Yammamoto will be ready for the NHL by next season I shake my head.Give the guy a chance to rip up the ‘Dub and the WJHC this year, then transition into the AHL next season to see how he takes the next step.

Yes, I see the projected path for this kid being a huge year with Spokane and a top role with Team USA in Buffalo over the holidays.

Then, given his age, a solid off-season of training and getting ready to turn pro and coming to camp aiming to make the NHL team with the possibility of significant time in the AHL.

I would love for year 1 of his ELC to provide 50 NHL points but that might be year 2 (if ever).

21. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:
    OriginalPouzar,

Maybe its just wishful thinking and dreaming but hopefully Jokinen’s presence and friendship (presumably) will have a material effect. I’ve read great things about his mentorship and hockey smarts. …. – Absolutely this mattters.Whether or not it means JP will score is a totally separate issue, but at least he’ll be able to have an after game meal with someone & ask questions during practice and just be comfortable with his transition to the NHL / North America; unlike last year

Yes, I agree with that – a very solid singing by our GM/POHO.

22. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar: Yes, I agree with that – a very solid singing by our GM/POHO.

Just wait until he makes Tenor.

23. OmJo says:

——

Sigh. There should have been a player there.

OmJo:

——

Sigh. There should have been a player there.

25. OmJo says:

RE Yamamoto: I can’t think of a single reason to rush him into the NHL. If he plays the first game against Calgary (regular season) I hope somebody keeps an eye on Tkachuk. Same guy who took out Davidson in game one last season IIRC. He’d be the perfect target for him, I’d think.

26. OmJo says:

Hm… he might be playing with Yakimov in a few years in their hometown if it doesn’t work out in Colorado.

The good thing for him in COL is they only have 3 RWs including him signed at the moment. So he should be able crack their top 12, lol.

27. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: Still may be, but not here. Colorado is a better spot for opportunity but they’re as addled as Edmonton. I hope he gets to a KHL team where someone will put him with a veteran Russian center who can play a two-way game. Five years and counting since it was a good idea.

Yakupov loved playing with his Kaptain.

Then MacT move him out of the org for no good reason.

28. jfry says:

let yammy hockey stew.

oilers became obsessed with youth. we finished 30th a lot. i’m liking this idea of winning more. plus, with our cap situation, it would be best if yammy didn’t come in for two years and was immediately an impact player.

no more learning on the job.

29. geowal says:

After googling to read about Yaks signing in Colorado (which I only learned about above, me:meet rock), came across this quote which I had to share:
    Ray Ferraro on Yakupov: “I had someone describe his style to me as a guy who looks like he’s being chased by bees.”
    Ah the memories.

30. jtblack says:

jfry,

“the last two 18 yo we put in the nhl were not ready at all. its arguable that none of them were ready to be honest.” ….. – This is a problem league wide … GM’s are usually in a Win Now mode and can’t / won’t wait … Each year an average of about 3 – 18 year olds actually play well in the NHL … A Handful are pushed and fail and most never see the NHL til 19 /20 / 21 … I feel bad for the highest picks (1 -6) because they are burdened with unrealistic expectations ..

Probably could argue every Top Oiler draft could have used another year outside of Hall and McDavid ..

Bogdan Yakimov now 5gp, 0-2-2 15:00TOI and 62.9 percentin the faceoff circle.

32. geowal says:

jtblack:
    jfry,

“the last two 18 yo we put in the nhl were not ready at all. its arguable that none of them were ready to be honest.” ….. –This is a problem league wide … GM’s are usually in a Win Now mode and can’t / won’t wait … Each year an average of about 3 – 18 year olds actually play well in the NHL … A Handful are pushed and fail and most never see the NHL til 19 /20 / 21 … I feel bad for the highest picks (1 -6) because they are burdened with unrealistic expectations ..

This would help save GMs from themselves, and imo be beneficial to prospects on the whole.

33. Lloyd B. says:

geowal: It is not hard to make a case that the league should just move the minimum to 19, perhaps allowing for the occasional “exceptional” status ala the OHL.

Not sure I agree with the premise.

Saving GMS from themselves is an entirely different conversation. 🙂

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Bogdan Yakimov now 5gp, 0-2-2 15:00TOI and 62.9 percentin the faceoff circle.

I was chatting with Patrick C (ChunkletsHockey) about him earlier – he may cross the ocean again to the NHL.

I haven’t closed the door on this prospect (nor has the organization as they qualified him to keep his rights) although i don’t know if Bodgan has closed the door on the organization?

Thank you for the update, I am still enjoying following his progress.

35. oilfan17 says:

Re Leon’s ‘angina’, in many European languages it means tonsillitis.

oilfan17:
    Re Leon’s ‘angina’, in many European languages it means tonsillitis.

Yeah, the NA definition didn’t make a lot of sense based on what looks like a pretty intense summer.

37. geowal says:

Lloyd B.: So an 18 year old can be called to go to war for his country but not have the right to earn a living?

Not sure I agree with the premise.

Saving GMS from themselves is an entirely different conversation.

Nothing whatsoever to do with personal rights. Players welcome to get a normal job. Or better yet, allow for AHL entry, stopping the CHL from stopping their ability to “earn a living”
    The league is a private business. They can adjust their entry rules. The draft system essentially already does this by enforcing a single-employer option.

38. Bank Shot says:

I think if you implemented this change, you would only see 5-10 18 year olds drafted per year depending on the draft, with most of the first round being 19 and 20 year olds.

It wouldn’t be perfect, but it would be a nice compromise that still allows 18 year olds to earn a living, but also give NHL teams more time to look at prospects and it would improve the odds of getting it right in the draft.

39. Thinker says:

Bank Shot: I am always campaigning for a change to the draft to only allow 18 year olds in the first round.

40. geowal says:

This would at least be a very simple change that can be done without the consent of the chl or ahl. I’d still like it to be easier for 18 year olds in the NHL to be sent down, or to add a hurdle or two extra. I think more often that not it harms the 18yo player to be in the NHL (the Yakupovs, Nuge, pullujarvi) as injuries or performance have potential impacts down the road. Just my opinion.

41. geowal says:

Thinker,

Great option.

42. Bank Shot says:

Thinker: Honestly the NCAA/CFL system is probably the best way. This also assumes the chl age is moved up to 18, or it is cut completely. No idea how we don’t have hs hockey teams. Every high school in edmonton is build beside an arena. My system would have hs hockey followed by chl/cis/ncaa. That way less good athletes are weeded out at age 13. Also gets kids a hs and university education. Also gives them a better chance to be physically strong going into the draft. Your 1st rounder would be money in the bank, and I would argue that you would have better teams in the nhl too, since there would be no discriminating against 23 year olds. Less loosey goosey defence that comes with 18yo.

Yeah, but revamping the entire developmental system just isn’t going to happen.

The NCAA path already exists and most Canadian players ignore it in favour of the CHL.

You could have junior A teams feeding into a Canadian college version of the NCAA. I’m not sure if Canadian Universities would be interested in that though.

43. Thinker says:

Bank Shot: Yeah, but revamping the entire developmental system just isn’t going to happen.

Thinker: Absolutely it won’t. But it gives me something to bitch about well into my golden years.

Ah, the possibilities.