COMMANDER CODY

Peter Chiarelli has already had an unusual summer in free agency. He bought in bulk July 1, found a couple of gems a week later in Jussi Jokinen and Yohann Auvitu and is looking for savings down every aisle late in the process.

I’ve written on the subject at length (most recently here) and a one-year deal would give the Oilers some cover and offer up another actual NHL defenseman for the group. I don’t see a lot of negatives and Edmonton has more cap room (potentially) than Chicago.

CODY FRANSON 2016-17

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.89 (No.1 among regular Sabres defensemen)
  • PP points per 60: 1.22 (No. 5 among regular Sabres defensemen)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 50.8
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: +1.8
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 50.5
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: 3.2 (31 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 93 shots/3.2%
  • Boxcars: 68, 3-16-19
  • (All numbers via Puck IQNatural Stat Trick and hockey-reference)

I’d run Klefbom-Larsson, Russell-Benning and Nurse-Franson, your mileage may vary. I like the idea of Yohann Auvitu or Eric Gryba as No. 7D and it allows the new kids on the block a full season of development. Men like Keegan Lowe and Dillon Simpson would probably see less NHL time. We wait.

ROOKIE CAMP DEPTH CHART 2017

There are no lottery selections this time and frankly the number of prospect forwards who are tied to the Oilers is alarming. Benson, Safin, Gambardella, Yamamoto and Maksimov count five and only four of these men are likely to play. On the other hand, there are six defensive prospects and three goalies worth watching. The three best prospects for my money: Kailer Yamamoto, Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear.

ROOKIE CAMP DEPTH CHART 2015

Three best prospects in this group? Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and Darnell Nurse, with Anton Slepyshev a nice kicker at the end. Jones and Bear have been at this tournament a time or two. This tournament had some surprises, including Braden Christoffer getting a pro contract and Loik Leveille turning heads. Tyler Soy also showed well.

ROOKIE CAMP DEPTH CHART 2010

Three best here? Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Jeff Petry. I do like Magnus Paajarvi and Martin Marincin, plus Brandon Davidson turned out well. Which team had the best goalies? I’ll go with 2017.

I’ve written on this subject several times, Yamamoto forces his way into the conversation because his strength is the collective weakness of the gathered group of youngsters: Offense. Kailer Yamamoto is younger and smaller, but his skills will fit in at a high level on this Oilers club.

NHLE FOR OILERS PROSPECTS, 2016-17

Yamamoto is in the top range and is five years younger than Joe Gambardella. If Yamamoto tears through the Young Stars Tournament and hangs with an actual NHL skill forward in the early days of the preseason, we’re going to have ourselves an open competition. If Yamamoto wins it, where that puts Puljujarvi God only knows.

50-MAN ROSTER

This is the current 50-man, if Edmonton signed Cody Franson and Yamamoto made the team it would mean entering the season at 50 contracts. I suspect we might see a minor deal offloading one of the players who is in a bubble position. That might be anyone from Iiro Pakarinen to Dillon Simpson. We could also see a LHD cashed, Oilers have to do something there anyway (although the glory days of the Leftorium appear to be a thing of the past).

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning on the show, beginning at 10, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Alex Thomas, The Oilers Rig. Cody Franson, Kailer Yamamoto, Red Sox clocks and Patriots season.
  • Guy Flaming, The Pipeline Show. A ton of WHL kids heading to Oilers rookie camp. Who are these guys?
  • Amanda Nunes. She will fight Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215 from the Rogers Place arena on Saturday. She has no fear.
  • Matthew Cauz, TSN. We’ll chat CFL and the crazy week that was.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

62 Responses to "COMMANDER CODY"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I am definitely on board with a Franson signing. No, in isolation, he’s isn’t a “great signing”, however, looking at the big picture and the potential disastrous effect one more injury could have on the D group, he would be fantastic cover.

I don’t like his speed, I don’t like having a 3rd pairing d-man that isn’t great on the PK but, at the end of the day, he bumps Gryba back to being a true 7D, as opposed to an every day player and ensures that the next injury doesn’t result in a paring along the lines of Auvitu/Gryba.

2. 36 percent body fat says:

is it not time to start flipping, simpson, betker, etc. Guys holding up AHL ice time (I know Bear and Jones cant take all the minutes). But they signed Lowe, Avitu, and Stanton for a Reason. Start Culling what we wont be using. Laggesson and Marino are still there as well.

I dont want Bear and Jones and Paigan, sitting on the bench in the AHL. Yes competition is good but there would still be plenty.

flip these guys for some forward prospects. Yes they arent worth anything but it might be worth a reclamation project, or even a meddling prospect.

3. Woogie63 says:

VGK has 9 LHD and 2 RHD, I would place GR only ahead of Brad Hunt on a depth chart.

I would prefer another crack at a 4OV, vs a Cody Franson.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

I’d run Klefbom-Larsson, Russell-Benning and Nurse-Franson, your mileage may vary. I like the idea of Yohann Auvitu or Eric Gryba as No. 7D.

Absolutely agree! As much as I’m board with Franson, I don’t see him as an acceptable 2RD – jury is out on if Benning can run with that role but I’d pencil him in there.

I agree with the 7/8D as well. Its unfortunate that this would bump Simpson to the AHL (through waivers) but I think management will want to stick with Auvitu subject to disaster at camp.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

36 percent body fat:
    is it not time to start flipping, simpson, betker, etc.Guys holding up AHL ice time (I know Bear and Jones cant take all the minutes).But they signed Lowe, Avitu, and Stanton for a Reason.Start Culling what we wont be using.Laggesson and Marino are still there as well.

I dont want Bear and Jones and Paigan, sitting on the bench in the AHL.Yes competition is good but there would still be plenty.

flip these guys for some forward prospects.Yes they arent worth anything but it might be worth a reclamation project, or even a meddling prospect.

Absolutely not!

Depth is absolutely key.

As of right now, there is an every day lineup spot for each of Bear, Jones and Paigin in Bakersfield – Mantha and Betker may be destined for the ECHL which is just fine.

No need to get rid of any depth d-men – Lowetide pointed out to me that teams generally use 11-15 d-men in a season. Even in a very healthy year last year, the Oilers used 11.

We are already at risk of seeing a guy like Jones rushed to the NHL for a few games if injuries pile up.

6. geowal says:

I’d wonder if a Franson signing would be with the expectation of a trade when Sekera returns, either of Franson or one of Stanton, Auvitu or the like. At that time the prospect end from Simpson on down would also have that little bit more experience to cover further injuries.

7. Derek says:

I don’t understand how a guy who put up a positive DFF vs elites playing for Buffalo remains unsigned. Is that all footspeed saw him bad? Did he start every shift vs elites in the offensive zone with ROR as his center?

8. slopitch says:

Derek,

I thought of this as well. Could be another Mark Fayne type but Franson is a good PP option which the team could use. He’s not gonna be an impact player imo but depth is good and the cost of acquisition is 0. Its a win/win.

9. flea says:

This management team has been great at creating depth on position. As we all struggle to understand what a lineup including Sekera and Franson might look like, I always think about how many defencemen go down each year. In my mind, NHL teams need at least 10 quality options on defense, and 18-20 on forward. The Oilers are definitely trending in the right direction again.Worst case scenario is maybe you have to drop a quality guy through waivers or trade them for nothing. Those are good problems to have to NHL teams, and Chia has been effective trying to maintain quality NHL options for the team at both the NHL and AHL level.

I don’t think Chiarelli would reclaim Reinhart – it would be bad optics for the management team. It would place some more pressure on Reinhart that is maybe a little unfair.

10. 36 percent body fat says:

OriginalPouzar,

Depth?

sekera, klefbom, nurse, benning, russel, larsson, gryba, aviutu, franson, fayne, stanton, lowe, paigain, bear, jones, mantha,

Betker and simpson leaving do not hurt the defensive depth at the NHL level, and the slight bit it might hurt at the AHL is offset by the icetime the younger prospects require for development.

The idea of trading one or two of them is to balance the forward prospect depth that the article states the oilers are lacking

11. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, that’s the depth chart although Franson isn’t on this hockey team right now.

As I said before, teams generally use 11-15 d-men in a season. Oilers used 11 last year and were very healthy. I’m fine with trading Betker but I’m remiss to get rid of a developed NHL ready depth d-man in Simpson when we’re already at risk of playing non-NHLers in the NHL during a time we are supposed to be contending.

Trading Simpson puts us one step closer to having Caleb Jones playing for the Oilers this year.

12. geowal says:

OriginalPouzar,

While teams go through a lot of D men, what is being missed is how much the bottom tier play. How often, if ever, does a team’s callup with the fewest games played play more than 1 game? With Franson, Jones can plausibly be placed 15th (with Bear) on the depth chart. There is almost no chance he plays more than 2 games. If he does, it’s good experience with a negligible effect on the team.
    If you’re about to send Simpsons or the like through waivers and a GM who is very late in the waiver order offers you a pick or a non waiver forward of interest, you do it. I doubt there is that much interest in Simpson, but if it’s there…

13. dustrock says:

New #Oilers jersey numbers! Caggiula changed to 91, Khaira switched to 16, Slepyshev is now 58, Jokinen will wear 36 & Auvitu will be 81.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

Valid points I must admit.

I may be overly concerned about our defensive depth right now. We sure have a lot of players the could fill in, however, not players that we really want playing more than a game or two – not if we are thinking about winning Stanley Cups.

I’m just concerned about a situation where another injury or two hit and, not only are Lowe and Stanton playing on our third pair, we’ve got Nurse on the first pair with Benning on the 2nd pair, etc.

I have memories of some of the defensive units we threw out over the last decade.

15. GMB3 says:

Could Chad butcher be our Tyler Johnson?

16. McNuge93 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Yes, such past notable pairings as Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, and Larry and Curly Joe with Moe in the press box.

17. Pink Socks says:

OriginalPouzar:

Very good point here. If Larsson or Klefbom or even Russell go down in the first 20-40 games for an extended period we are up a creek without a paddle.

18. Durag says:

flea,

Agreed that trying to fit Sekera and Franson into the same lineup is a nice problem to have. It means:

1. Klefbom, Larsson, Russell, Nurse and Benning are all healthy
    2. Franson is playing well enough that he can’t be taken out of the lineup

19. Dominoiler says:

I have full confidence in Benning, but just in case he falters early then Franson would provide some cover while he re establishes himself.. Gryba does not provide such cover (nurse would have to move up, leaving Gryba to anchor the third pair, not ideal.. ps, i do like Gryba on the team, but within the 6-7 role)

Edit: you did it, LT, after years of beating the Franson Drum, some of us have finally come around on the rally call of “Depth!”

PS Franson’s pp/60 number from last year is crap, no?.. so should that part of the narrative be rewritten or is the bet that he still has the skill set even if the results have dried up?..

20. russ99 says:

Benning is a better player than Franson at this point, especially in our zone without the puck.

I’d rather we not chance a one-dimensional defenseman that would make Talbot’s job harder (pair him with Nurse and it’s a tire fire), save the cap space for the deadline, and give Benning the ice time he needs to progress.

21. stush18 says:

Dominoiler:

The sabres have eichel and reinhart on their PP, and both run from the right side wall.

Also Risto took most of the minutes. I think franson on the top pairing revisiting one timers from mcdavid would make his numbers pop

22. stush18 says:

If franson signs will you adjust Klefboms RE, LT? Can’t see him grabbing those PP minutes with franson here.

23. stush18 says:

russ99:

It’s reasonable imo to expect a slight regression from benning

24. Dominoiler says:

stush18,

Thanks for adding nuance to the numbers, cheers

25. OriginalPouzar says:

stush18:

Klef would still be PP1.

Franson could fight with Benning for PP2

26. stush18 says:

Dominoiler,

No problem.

Used to be a big sabres fan when Hasek played there, and Detroit is my favourite team, so I catch a lot of there games.

I really think yakupov signing there would have been best for his career.

27. Snowman says:

stush18,

Franson played big pp minutes last year (2nd most I believe for Buffalo) and only had 2 pp points. Not sure he should be on any powerplay.

28. stush18 says:

OriginalPouzar: Klef would still be PP1.

Franson could fight with Benning for PP2

Why though?

Franson has a history of being a good puckmover and PP option. Before they started feeding his minutes to Risto in BUFF, he was the go to guy.

Franson opens up the cross ice pass to letestu (or whoever) because the high forward has to protect against his onetimer.

29. LMHF#1 says:

Question for the numbers folks:

If you could run your top unit 20 mins at ES, and had a reasonable group of secondary scorers to play the powerplay, would you?

I’m basically asking if 20 ES minutes would be more valuable than 15+5 or what have you.

I’ve always wanted to see a team try this. It basically allows you to turn your 4th line into specialists.

30. Steve4 says:

36 percent body fat:

Ooohhh! Those meddling prospects are the worst!

31. Professor Q says:

Steve4: Ooohhh! Those meddling prospects are the worst!

We would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren’t for them…

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Snowman:
    stush18,

Franson was 2nd among their D for PP minutes but 9th in overall PPTOI/G with only 1:27/game.

33. N64 says:

Steve4: Ooohhh! Those meddling prospects are the worst!

~ Go easy on young Harrison. Can’t evaluate prospect owners until their 5th pro year. ~

34. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

LMHF#1:
    Question for the numbers folks:

It would similarily drive up the cost of your secondary guys, but you’d just have to sell them (likely above market value) more regularly.

You’d really piss off your top guys though.

35. bendelson says:

LMHF#1,

Well that depends doesn’t it?

Loosely speaking, if the difference between your top line and your 4th lines 5×5 pts/60 is greater than the difference between your traditional #1 unit PP pts/60 and your proposed specialized 4th line PP unit pts/60, with all else being equal, then, well, maybe… of course, those specialist PP pts/60 would have to be completely speculative, making the entire exercise rather pointless… I suppose you could use existing numbers to determine what PP pts/60 the proposed specialist PP unit would need to achieve to make the approach even remotely worthwhile…

(Yeah, I should really stick with non-hockey related inquires… such as – hey, didn’t someone mention Robert Guillaume the other day? Robert Guillaume. Awesome).

36. stush18 says:

LMHF#1:
    Question for the numbers folks:

That’s sort of what Columbus did with gagner.

Honestly what we did with letestu too.

I think bender son is right though. It would piss off your top guys if done excessively.

37. LMHF#1 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: Interestingly it would also drive down the cost of your top guys, because at the end of the day it’s total points rather than more advanced analysis that is the major driver of compensation.

You’d really piss off your top guys though.

Maybe – but with Connor and Leon locked in, it really doesn’t cause a difference for them. I’d imagine they care most about winning for the next 8 or so years. If you were starting from scratch or had expiring deals with your top guys it’d be more of an issue.

Yes, you’d wind up selling more. That’s part of what I believe should be in the team philosophy. Teams get far too attached to bottom 6 forwards and bottom 2 D, when these should either be prospects on the rise or disposable/replaceable parts.

38. LMHF#1 says:

bendelson:
    LMHF#1,

Well that depends doesn’t it?

Loosely speaking, if the difference between your top line and your 4th lines 5×5 pts/60 is greater than the difference between your traditional #1 unit PP pts/60 and your proposed specialized 4th line PP unit pts/60, with all else being equal, then, well, maybe…of course, those specialist PP pts/60 would have to be completely speculative, making the entire exercise rather pointless… I suppose you could use existing numbers to determine what PP pts/60 the proposed specialist PP unit would need to achieve to make the approach even remotely worthwhile…

(Yeah, I should really stick with non-hockey related inquires… such as – hey, didn’t someone mention Robert Guillaume the other day?Robert Guillaume.Awesome).

Was mostly just wondering if the numbers backed up something about the value at ES vs the value at PP.

Eyeballing it and thinking strategically I’d like to see it tried. Partially because of those 20 safe ES minutes from your top line controlling the game, and partially because I’d rather keep talented guys at the bottom of the roster and deploy them (even if one dimensional) where they can succeed. Having that fourth line need to take a regular ES shift stinks.

39. LMHF#1 says:

stush18: That’s sort of what Columbus did with gagner.

Honestly what we did with letestu too.

To some extent – though I’d choose a different sort of player than Letestu.

40. Psyche says:

Hello Folks,

In case you’re interested:

Young Stars Classic Schedule**
    Penticton, BC – September 8-11, 2017

GAME TEAMS DATE TIME
    Game 1 Edmonton vs. Calgary Sept. 8 4:00pm
    Game 2 Vancouver vs. Winnipeg Sept. 8 7:30pm
    Game 3 Winnipeg vs. Edmonton Sept. 9 7:30pm
    Game 4 Calgary vs. Vancouver Sept. 10 2:00pm
    Game 5 Winnipeg vs. Calgary Sept. 11 10:30am
    Game 6 Vancouver vs. Edmonton Sept. 11 2:00pm

**Game dates, times and opponents subject to change.

Psyche:
    Hello Folks,

In case you’re interested:

Young Stars Classic Schedule**
    Penticton, BC – September 8-11, 2017

GAME TEAMS DATE TIME
    Game 1 Edmonton vs. Calgary Sept. 8 4:00pm
    Game 2 Vancouver vs. Winnipeg Sept. 8 7:30pm
    Game 3 Winnipeg vs. Edmonton Sept. 9 7:30pm
    Game 4 Calgary vs. Vancouver Sept. 10 2:00pm
    Game 5 Winnipeg vs. Calgary Sept. 11 10:30am
    Game 6 Vancouver vs. Edmonton Sept. 11 2:00pm

**Game dates, times and opponents subject to change.

Some changes there, including the Oilers playing the late game Monday. That’s a change from previous years iirc. Winnipeg vs. edmonton Monday used to be the early game.

42. Psyche says:

Oilers open and close the event. I’m curious which team draws the most media and fan interest. I know it’s in B.C., but it may be the Oilers.

Oilers have good spacing amongst their games. Allows for rest and maybe short practices.

Do we know of any Oiler bloggers heading to Penticton to cover the event?

43. NativeNotFrench says:

“I did hear Slepyshev is a little banged up. EDM RW a fluid situation with Strome, Cagguila, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi and Kassian”

Is this the first we’re hearing of a banged up slepyshev?

44. jonrmcleod says:

Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie
    Because of Sekera injury/uncertainty, I do believe EDM will add an experienced defenceman: twitter.com/kgill39/status…

Karman Gill @Kgill39
    Replying to @TSNBobMcKenzie
    Bob do you think Cody Franson signs with the Oilers?

45. NativeNotFrench says:

“Because of Sekera injury/uncertainty, I do believe EDM will add an experienced defenceman:”

That was in response to Nielsen asking him if he thinks Oil will sign Franson

EDIT: Was not Nielsen who asked him that. Got my wires crossed

NativeNotFrench:

Is this the first we’re hearing of a banged up slepyshev?

47. NativeNotFrench says:

Lowetide: Yes.

How worried are we? More questions for the RW I suppose

NativeNotFrench: How worried are we? More questions for the RW I suppose

Might be a short-term issue but even being a little behind early can impact. I’d say it definitely impacts training camp/early season.

49. NativeNotFrench says:

Hopefully short term but I will heed some wise advice I read somewhere on the internet and light a candle I think

50. OriginalPouzar says:

NativeNotFrench: How worried are we? More questions for the RW I suppose

Yes, in a perfect world, we’d have some more “proven” scoring at RW, however, at the end of the day, I’m more concerned about the defensive depth. If the RW is an issue with respect to production, yes, that’s a problem to be addressed but is unlikely to crater the season. If another material injury comes on defence, I think that creates a scenario where we could be fighting for a wild card spot.

Our depth D are question marks as well and we are already weakened in the top 4.

51. Thinker says:

stush18: Patience. Everyone here claimed Davidson and marinicin were the saviours we had hoped for after good rookie years.

It’s reasonable imo to expect a slight regression from benning

Wait until Dillon Simpson is the next coming.

52. NativeNotFrench says:

OriginalPouzar: Yes, in a perfect world, we’d have some more “proven” scoring at RW, however, at the end of the day, I’m more concerned about the defensive depth. If the RW is an issue with respect to production, yes, that’s a problem to be addressed but is unlikely to crater the season.If another material injury comes on defence, I think that creates a scenario where we could be fighting for a wild card spot.

Agree that the D depth scares me way more but if Slepy is out to start the year and it forces someone else into the lineup it’s not ideal. Not going to crater the season but not ideal.

53. Thinker says:

NativeNotFrench: How worried are we? More questions for the RW I suppose

Thinker: I’d be worried. We aren’t talking about a proven nhl player. Could have a hard time getting back

55. blainer says:

I’m not real big on Franson although there was a time a few years back he would have been a great fit.

However he would bring more than just depth he will bring more competition at his position and that is always a big plus. It doesn’t hurt that he is a RT shot either.

This Sleppy talk is a drag. I think he is a dark horse and due to have a big year. I’m not too worried about Rt wing and think we will be just fine there with addition of Strome and Drai switching between center and Rt wing.

56. OriginalPouzar says:

If Slepy isn’t ready to play in Game 1 almost a month from now then I would think he’s more than “a little banged up”.

I’m hoping this is a non-issue – if he already has a material issue, our concerns about injuries through the year is starting to come to fruition before camp even starts (Sekera, Slepy).

57. geowal says:

“Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it’s time for our viewers to crack each other’s heads open and feast on the goo inside?
    Yes I would, Kent. “

58. jtblack says:

LMHF#1,

Another question on top of your question. I always thought it would be a good idea to run the second power-play unit at the beginning of the power play against the top pairing D man / penalty killers ; let them have a short 45 second shift and then put out the number one PP unit for a 1: 15 against lesser competition.

Can only be done at home obviously and there are probably flaws to my thinking but I always thought it might be a way to create an advantage for pp1

59. OmJo says:

I think I would rather the team just play Fayne instead of sign another slow RD.

Also…

“If Yamamoto wins it, where that puts Puljujarvi God only knows.”

Playing Yamamoto in the NHL and Puljujarvi in the AHL seems like the Oiler thing to do for the last decade. I hope we’re no longer doing things like that.

60. OmJo says:

Lowetide: Probably good news for Kailer Yamamoto, but may also signal a training camp invite.

Yager!

61. Pescador says:

OmJo: Yager!
    Meister!

Let me buy this blog a round