OILERS SIGN SAMORUKOV

In what is a provably unusual move, the Edmonton Oilers signed third-round selection Dmitru Samorukov today, miles and miles sooner than most players taken in that part of the draft. A quick look through the history books tells us just how unusual this move today ranks historically.

OILERS SIGNING THIRD-ROUND PICKS

• 2017: Dmitri Samorukov (September 7), Stuart Skinner (unsigned)
  • 2016: Markus Niemelainen, Filip Berglund, Matt Cairns (unsigned)
  • 2015: None
  • 2014: None
  • 2013: Bogdan Yakimov (May 2014), Anton Slepyshev (May 2015)
  • 2012: Jujhar Khaira (August 2013), Daniil Zharkov (unsigned)
  • 2011: Samu Perhonen (unsigned), Travis Ewanyk (March 2013)

Today’s signing stands in contrast with the recent past. None of the names listed here were signed in the same calendar year as the draft in which they were chosen. Bogdan Yakimov, about 11 months after he was drafted, represents the high bar. Samorukov? He was signed less than three months later. Jason Gregor mentioned on TSN1260 this afternoon he felt the reasoning was keeping the player in North America and away from the KHL. Seems a reasonable point of view.

SAMORUKOV’S DRAFT RANKINGS

• Bob McKenzie: No. 76
  • Craig Button: No. 53
  • Corey Pronman: No. 76
  • Hockey Prospect: No. 65
  • The Draft Analyst: No. 65

Edmonton got him No. 84 overall, a bargain based on most lists I follow. Craig Button, who is a truly unique draft voice, had him No. 53 overall (second round).

• Brock Otten: Samorukov has one of the highest ceilings of any defender taken from the OHL this past draft. He can impact the game at both ends of the ice. The start to his year was rough and he appeared to be going through quite the learning curve; playing in a new league and for a poor team. But, he got better and better every month and saved his best performance for the U18’s. He’s really the complete package in terms of possessing a skill set. Mobility, physical aggressiveness, big point shot, puck skill. It’s just about putting it all together and learning the position. When to go for the big hit. Making better reads in coverage and chasing less. Picking his spots offensively. Getting his shot through to the net more effectively on the PP. I suppose what I’m saying is that over the course of the next two years, we’ll get to see what type of hockey sense Samorukov possesses. Guelph will aim to be better next year in a tough Western Conference. Their younger (but extremely talented) players will all be a year older and if they progress well, this is a team that should make the playoffs. I see Samorukov doubling his points totals from last year and hitting the 40+ point mark.  Source

One of the recurring themes in regard to Samorukov’s progression throughout the OHL season. Here are his splits:

• September-December: 35gp, 2-9-11
  • January-March: 32gp, 2-7-9

Points aren’t everything, but the offense looks fairly pedestrian before and after turkey based on his OHL season. I decided to drill down a little on the Guelph defense awhile back and Samorukov was one of the top 4D at 5×5 and faced tough opposition (this is via Prospect-Stats).

• Corey PronmanSamorukov is mobile, particularly at 6-foot-2, and is more than capable at jumping up into the attack. His skill level isn’t elite, but he’s a smart puck-mover who can make creative plays. On defense, he’s not afraid to get involved in the physical play and can win battles. His game started to show more pace as he got used to the smaller North American rinks, and while his decisions weren’t perfect, I see solid hockey IQ in his game. Source
  • ISS: Two-way defenceman who possesses a very good skill-set and skating ability.
  • Black Book: Dmitri has good size on the back end and plays an offensively minded game. He likes to rush the puck up ice whenever possible and his skating is ok. He often made the smart pass but would sometimes get caught trying to force a play that wasn’t there. This improved as the season went on. Dmitri is a good puck mover in the offensive zone but is very aggressive when trying to hold the line.

TOP 20 PROSPECTS

• No. 12 (NR) LD Dmitri Samorukov. Two-way defender with good speed, mobility and he can move the puck. Improved over the course of the season as a defender but some chaos remains in his game. Has a hard shot, not yet the sum of his parts. Has a risk-reward resume somewhat similar to Safin. Pronman has him ranked and that is part of the reason Samorukov is inside the top 12. Source

I don’t know why they signed him today, Gregor’s suggestion seems the most reasonable. Based on his scouting report he appears to be a promising prospect with a chance to develop into something more. Anything we say beyond that statement implies things we cannot know based on numbers and scouting reports. If he’s special, Samorukov will show us soon enough. He will certainly get more attention at the rookie tournament in Penticton beginning tomorrow.

22 Responses to "OILERS SIGN SAMORUKOV"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Another one of those great reward picks.

The organization must be very happy with this pick to sign him so early – what’s the harm, really?

I’m now pretty curious to watch him this weekend and to keep an eye on his progress this season.

Will be tough as it seems that boxcars don’t come close to telling the story on this prospect.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Oh ya, love that quote.

3. Johnny Larue says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Oh ya, love that quote.

I soon as I read the quote I was a fan. I could actually hear his voice when I read the quote made me laugh. Who knows but I will be cheering for him.

4. Richard S.S. says:

The Lowetide favorite signed a PTO with Chicago. He’s just a cheaper version of Mark Fayne isn’t he?

5. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t think his game is anything like Fayne’s notwithstanding they are both lacking in the speed department.

6. stush18 says:

Do the oenticton games start tonight? What times games at? Are the oilers playing it on there team site again?

Richard S.S.:
    The Lowetide favorite signed a PTO with Chicago.He’s just a cheaper version of Mark Fayne isn’t he?

These are not similar players.

stush18:

Oilers YoungStars will take on Calgary’s YoungStars tomorrow at 4PM. It’ll stream on the Oilers website

9. OmJo says:

Samorukov: “I came to Canada because I want to play in the NHL. Edmonton is the best team for me. Best fans and best city.”

—–

I don’t think this young man is about to run off to the KHL anytime soon.

10. JDî says:

I get the impression that the 4 pm start is pacific time. One of the videos on the Oilers’ site mentioned it was at 5 pm mountain as well.

Schedule:

11. JDî says:

Jones spent the summer (when not recovering from schnoz surgery) training with his big brother, and has already been skating with some of the Dallas players.

Advantage: Jones.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Oilers YoungStars will take on Calgary’s YoungStarstomorrowat 4PM. It’ll stream on the Oilers website

If I’m not mistaken, the original game times posted (I think yesterday), might have been Pacific time.

Gregor posted game times early today with them starting at 5pm Friday and 8:30pm Saturday.

I should go on the Oilers site an confirm.

13. Centre of attention says:

If Samorukov turns into our version of Markov that would be ideal.

*lights an entire candle factory on fire*

14. jp says:

Anyone see Samorukov (or were there reports) from Development Camp? Has there been anything to suggest he’s ahead of the curve that might justify the signing? (otherwise it’s got to be the flight risk)

15. Professor Q says:

I honestly had forgotten that Edmonton had drafted him. Hopefully things work out.

OriginalPouzar: ‘

I should go on the Oilers site an confirm.

Oh that would be much better.

17. JDî says:

Jason Gregor‏Verified account @JasonGregor 2h2 hours ago

“I think Benning could have a breakout year. He looks great.” Klefbom #Oilers

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Benning is very likely to get the shot at the 2nd pairing – he very well could run with it and never look back.

That would be huge for the organization, this year and moving forward.

Time will tell – I’m cautiously optimistic but, as we all know, development of defence is generally not a straight line.

19. Lloyd B. says:

OriginalPouzar:

That would be huge for the organization, this year and moving forward.

Every once in a while though, the development line is straight up. The Oilers could use one of those right now. 2RHD in particular. We wait!

20. stush18 says:

I still think Jennings numbers will regress, although we might be able rob chalk that up to lesser partners and stiffer competition.

21. Melvis says:

Although somewhat overshadowed by Drai, I saw Josh Morrissey good when he was playing for the Raiders, just before the trade to Kelowna. His development line is pretty much straight up. Nice player there.

On another note, I’m loving the personal stories. They tend to humanize the digital presence.

22. Oilanderp says:

“Points aren’t everything, but the offense looks fairly pedestrian before and after turkey based on his OHL season.” – LT

They signed him this early because, as LT says, he was using a turkey baster all last year. Oilers smartly realized how much better he could be with an actual stick and quickly gobbled him up contractually speaking.