PENTICTON 2017

One year, this was the 1960’s, Mom and Dad packed us up and we moved lock, stock and barrel into the interior. We spent time in Penticton and then headed north to Lac la Hache for another couple of weeks. Basically, we camped from mid-June to mid-August. I loved it. At the end of summer, when it came time to head back to the lower mainland (Haney), instead we drove north and west to Burns Lake. It didn’t occur to me what was happening, thought it was the third (and less fun) leg of our summer tour. One day in late August, Mom told me Dad found work at the Burns Lake sawmill, I’d be going to school there and we would be staying for the winter. It made no sense to me, home was Whonnock and our place on Thornhill. Thornhill School, Mrs. Norman, all of my friends, gone.

It was my toughest school year, made more difficult because I became a Viscount (Burns Lake school was divided into four groups for sports, including the Viscounts, Dukes, and two similar names so bad I’ve forgotten them). Burns Lake was fine, but a different place and a difficult time. I missed home so much that winter, it was the first time I’d been away for longer than a few weeks. I thought we’d be back by spring, but we never did go back, never lived in Whonnock again.

That winter, 1968, I began to realize we weren’t the jet set. It didn’t matter, I loved my Mom and Dad, my brother and I always made our own entertainment anyway. I sincerely believe my imagination and story telling ability came from growing up modest—along with those damnable marathon Jehovah’s Witness conventions that cost me every hour of so many summer weekends and inspired a life long affair with daydreaming. Up north that winter, I missed the coast and going to Crystal Pool and the Haney Dairy Queen and Big Ollie’s on Dewdney Trunk Road. Part of me is still back there, just up the road from Thornhill School. I think about Burns Lake every fall.

ROOKIE CAMP NOTES FROM THE PAST

• September 12, 2014: We love you Oilers. For Christ sakes make this season more fun, would you? Jesus Murphy if a fanbase has earned it, it’s us. Be the second squirrel tonight. Be Stan Weir. Godspeed, men. Tonight. Source

That’s an interesting question and response. McKenzie remains the gold standard for insiders and his response to Karman Gill is quite specific. Cody Franson is out there, and we’ve heard Edmonton is under consideration. We could be talking about Dennis Wideman of course, but this is an interesting turn of events.

PENTICTON ROSTER

I spoke to Guy Flaming about this roster yesterday, when talking about the invites he mentioned ‘skill’ and ‘character’. Guy also said he wouldn’t be surprised if Lane Bauer ended up with a contract (AHL?) and once again expressed surprise Sahvan Khaira wasn’t drafted this summer. It’s an interesting group, my focus during these games will be on Kailer Yamamoto, Joe Gambardella, Ostap Safin and basically all of the defensemen. How many of these kids play an NHL game this winter? I’ll guess more than one.

CULLEN’S NUMBERS

If you play fantasy hockey and are looking for excellent projections, Scott Cullen’s numbers are here. I think his are the best because they aren’t prone to wild spikes in performance but do account for usage. Here are Scott’s Oilers alongside my reasonable expectations:

It aligns perfectly, save for usage (I have Leon on McDavid’s RW for 70 percent of the season, and have Oscar Klefbom emerging as a big power-play option). Scott’s take on the sixth offensive forward is fascinating (a battle between Strome and Jokinen) and as always Cullen’s GP totals tell us he is very thorough with his projections.

SLEPYSHEV INJURY

During Bob McKenzie’s twitter Q and A he mentioned he had heard Anton Slepyshev was “banged up” and that set off Oilers fans for the afternoon. The big Russian winger is part of an open audition for the two remaining RW spots (Mirror Man gets one, Zack Kassian the second) on this year’s team. If you are projecting a fantasy roster, upticks for both Jesse Puljujarvi and Drake Caggiula, plus Kailer Yamamoto’s chances of making the team increase. That’s how I see it.

PROJECTED ROSTER WITH FRANSON

There’s room for Franson. I’m projected all bonuses here (that won’t happen, Puljujarvi is extremely unlikely to max his totals) and there’s still some wiggle room for Peter Chiarelli. One item we need to be talking about once the Slepyshev news becomes clearer? Do we project Ty Rattie or Kailer Yamamoto as next man up?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we rock and roll with all the sports on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. The rookie roster, Cody Franson, Slepyshev’s maladies.
  • Andy McNamara, TSN4Downs. NFL season gets underway tonight!
  • Rob Vollman, ESPN & NHL.com. Franson’s value, Jagr to nowhere, the Dallas Stars.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Matt Duchene’s immediate future, expectations for the Oilers.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk to you in 90 minutes!

93 Responses to "PENTICTON 2017"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Been looking forward to this for a while.

Should be a bunch of interviews up with the young boys today as they do their physicals.

4pm tomorrow – terrible time but can’t wait to stream an Oilers game.

2. stush18 says:

You say Puljujarvi won’t max his bonus, but then you have him projected to score 14-14-28 in only six games! Pick a side man!

stush18:

I’m all in my own damned way!

4. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Good Lord what a great preamble to your post LT!. I love this line: ” Part of me is still back there”

– As now parent of young kids now, you really captured something with this story from your youth. Like of lot of kids, who parents divorced, I didn’t realize things are different untill you move away.

– After my parents divorced, we moved away from Yellowknife: and I never got to say goodbye, and as you say: “it made no sense to me”.

– Thanks for this.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Its got to be Rattie over Yamamoto.

I believe Rattie was signed as cover for offence on the wing – either as injury cover or if none of the hopefuls are able to run with the opportunity.

Kailer can’t be in the NHL this year, can he? I just don’t see it.

6. DocFan says:

My Dad moved half way around the world at 24 to arrive in Burn’s Lake in the 1960’s.
    It was, least to say, a culture shock.
    When I look back, I can’t imagine at 24 throwing my whole world upside-down. Instead, he started roots for me to become an Oilers fan (the Oil boom in the 70’s eventually led him to Edmonton over Phoenix and Hawaii).

7. Pescador says:

Lowetide: I’m all in my own damned way!

It’s not your fault,
    You just want everything good to happen to everyone all the time,

8. Jethro Tull says:

Great anecdotes, as always, LT.

Mini-threadjack re: Offside challenge. Question: How does the NHL fix the problem of coaches challenging an offside call not in the spirit of the game? Answer: Easy, tweak the rule so it is no longer in the spirit of the game. Two wrongs make a right, right?

It really got my goat, especially last season, when a challenge could be issued by a coach, even after possession could have changed two or three times before a goal was scored. Where was the line in the sand? How long is reasonable or how many phases of possession have to pass before it’s deemed that it had no effect on the play’s outcome? How soon is now?

Instead on focusing on clarity and tweaking the rule in order to root out missed calls that had an adverse effect on the game’s outcome, the NHL will now penalize you for using a legitimate rule. You are in a tight game – the other team scores, you suspect it may be offside. Upstairs whisper in your earpiece that we may have a case, but the replay is not clear. You make the challenge on your belief that in your heart of hearts, you think it was genuinely offside. Result comes back that the play was an inch onside. 2 min minor, other team scores on the PP. Because that’ll improve the game. NHL seem to have trouble with finding the line of least resistance.

What bugs me is that the NHL already has rules to deal with this, like fighting/roughing, but resolutely refuses to use them. Any inconclusive plays and the call on the ice stands. It’s fair in that it’s unbiased. The ref is making a reactionary call, so it could go either way. Bias doesn’t come into reactions. But it comes into reviewed decisions. And what about a rule that you can only issue the challenge directly after the goal, but you still lose your timeout if defeated?

It’s nuts, I tells ya.

9. russ99 says:

They need to kill this ridiculous offsides challenge if they’re going to gimp when coaches can challenge it.

10. russ99 says:

Signing Franson would limit what we can do at the deadline. With Gryba, Auvitu, Simpson and Stanton, do we have enough cover for three months without Sekera at 100%

Adding at the deadline is more important than making a “would be nice” but not essential move now.

11. Brantford Boy says:

Based on your projections with Cullen’s I suspect you would be banned from many hockey pools. I won my buddies work hockey pool 3 years in a row and then I wasn’t allowed to play anymore… oh well, it got me 2 Oilers jerseys and a subscription to NHL Centre Ice to watch the games during that time…

Slepyshev is “banged up”?… what the hell, this doesn’t sound like a fishing trip… this sounds like a Moscow bar fight with lead pipes and potato sacks… but based on my bias I suspect Ty is the next man up, based on experience alone.

12. Silver Streak says:

IS MacKenzie God ? WTF are our Edmonton media hounds doing …..why do we hear now about an Oiler injury from Torontoid ?? Yes, yes, I know its the centre of the universe….but as with most things that originate from there I think we could do it better here.

13. slopitch says:

I think the Oilers should add a winger and a RHD. Both Iggy and Jagr are appealing at the right price, although I remember Selanne not fading out with grace. These HHOF types are competitive buggers and used to primo ice time.

Still intrigued by AA too.

14. RexLibris says:

Beautiful story, LT.

I’ve never lived outside Edmonton but the way you speak about using daydreaming as an escape and some of the pain that comes from just being a kid, well that strikes a chord.

The older I get the more I think back to those old Buddhist lines that all life is suffering, and nostalgia in particular can be a delicious kind of agony.

15. jake70 says:

Viscount – I think literally the last time I heard that word was early 80s just before my parents quit smoking…can’t remember who smoked Viscounts and the other smoked Rothmans.

16. jake70 says:

Brantford Boy:
    Based on your projections with Cullen’s I suspect you would be banned from many hockey pools.I won my buddies work hockey pool 3 years in a row and then I wasn’t allowed to play anymore… oh well, it got me 2 Oilers jerseys and a subscription to NHL Centre Ice to watch the games during that time…

Maybe moonlighting as a Putin body guard. 😉

17. RexLibris says:

Regarding the passing mention of Wideman –

I should probably mention that Wideman’s effectiveness under Gulutzan last season was all but nil. He was ineffective on offense and his already-tenuous defensive game had gone south.

Bringing in Wideman would only supplant Benning with a less-effective veteran until McLellan realized that the old dog was out of tricks and went with his younger player. In the meantime the Oilers would be left with an extra body/contract with little to no value on the ice.

That said, I am anticipating that Franson signs elsewhere and that the Oilers do indeed extend an offer to Wideman.

18. dustrock says:

jake70:

Ha ha yup, my Mom’s brand. I had no idea what a Viscount actually was until I was in my teens in the library one day and looked it up in the dictionary, as was the style at the time.

19. digger50 says:

Love the stories! Thought I will share as well.

In 1968 my family had just come over from Scotland. Of course we needed to see Jasper and the Rockies so off we went off for the first of many camping trips in an old Impala to Jasper Whistlers. We had no gear, no tent, just a little Coleman stove and a wee cooler. It was enough.

When night came we all just got back in the car. took our seats again and fell asleep.

Dad said he didn’t sleep well, he had to get up because there was a “big slaythering dug” with its head in the cooler so he had to get out and kick its ass. (It was not a dog)

I just got back from a long family camping trip to Van Island. (Fully loaded) I had to hook up a winch to drag the teenager out of bed, and confiscate I pads, I phones, DS, from all to get some participation and appreciation. Times have changed.

If anyone can appreciate this my 9y old kept saying “my name is Jeff” to everyone he met. Just this morning I got the joke.

20. digger50 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Been looking forward to this for a while.

4pm tomorrow – terrible time but can’t wait to stream an Oilers game.

21. RexLibris says:

digger50,

Great story.

What part of Scotland?

22. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:

The thing is, neither Auvitu, Simpson or Stanton have proven to be actual NHL players.

Stanton has a few hundred NHL games but 1 in the last two years.

Franson is an actual NHL player.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50: What are chances live streaming works effectively this year? For me I have not been fortunate with the live stream feeds.

If I remember correctly, it was better last year, wasn’t it?

24. OF17 says:

russ99:

It’s not clear we’ll need anything at the deadline. RW is the only maybe. Probably for the best too, since we’ll need those prospects, and futures never buy so little as at the deadline.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Prediction on Oilers leading scoring in the quick tourney?

I’m going with Joe G. (assuming everyone plays 2 games which, of course, won’t happen).

26. Bag of Pucks says:

Thought provoking post LT.

Reminds me of when my parents decided it was time for us to move from the city (McQueen neighbourhood in Edmonton) to the country (acreage outside Villeneuve) before I started 6th grade.

I went from being one of the ‘popular’ kids at school to starting over as a square peg in a round hole (i.e. ‘city slicker’ in a rural school). What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, but man those are tough transitions for kids (especially if you’re an only child).

Parenting is as tough a challenge as we will face in this life. You’re truly ‘damned if you do and damned if you don’t.’

Move your family a lot and expose them to new experiences and locales and they’ll complain about the lack of stability and grounding. Plant them in one place and they’re bored to death and longing for the day when they can finally escape to new environs.

I’ll never forget asking my teenage son his thoughts on adjusting to life in Edmonton after we’d spent nearly a decade overseas. His answer, “It’s nice to live in a place where everyone speaks English again.” Out of the mouths of babes…

27. digger50 says:

RexLibris:
    digger50,

Great story.

What part of Scotland?

We are from The Vale of Leven in Dumbartonshire. Rangers supporters.

28. meanashell11 says:

I have moved my entire life and definitely had those ‘square peg in a round hole” moments. Born in Olds, moved to Cairo at 10, moved to Aberdeen Scotland at 12, moved to Edmonton at 20, moved to Montreal at 23, moved to Toronto at 30, moved to New York at 41. Still here.

29. RexLibris says:

digger50: Thank you. I’m sure so many here can relate to those good ol camping days in contrast to today’s world. But as dads we all still get out there and do our best impressions of Clarke Griswold. Gotta do it right?

We are from The Vale of Leven in Dumbartonshire. Rangers supporters.

Dunbartonshire. Outside Glasgow. Yeah, figured. It’d be a Glaswegian who’d break a bear’s ribs for sticking his nose into the cooler. Tough folk, they.

30. stush18 says:

Silver Streak:
    IS MacKenzie God ?WTF are our Edmonton media hounds doing …..why do we hear now aboutan Oiler injury from Torontoid ?? Yes, yes, I know its the centre of the universe….but as with most things that originate from there I think we could do it better here.

Honestly I though the same thing. How had none of the EDM media reported this is beyond me.

31. stush18 says:

russ99:

Honestly I don’t mind this.

If the play was offside by one inch, was that really the determining factor in why they scored?

Coaches last year just used the offside challenge as an extra timeout.

32. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

meanashell11,

– That’s an interesting age to move to NYC… It’s a great city. Moved from: Toronto – Yellowknife – Hamilton – Montreal – London UK – Toronto…

– Now with kids, doubt we will move untill they get older, which is interesting

33. defmn says:

Jason Gregor‏Verified account @JasonGregor 6m6 minutes ago

Caleb Jones had nose surgery this summer. Was out a month. Says he can breath much better training, and most importantly, while sleeping.

34. Showerhead says:

Bag of Pucks,

I think a very natural part of teenaged youth is to push against the norms that you know.

I also think it is an almost-but-not-quite-as-natural stage of mid-twenties youth to discover what you appreciate about where you come from.

I would imagine that adulthood is a lot about figuring out how to integrate the things you’ve learned with the things you thought you knew… but here I’m only speculating. I can’t promise to know anything at all – nope, nothing – about adulthood 😉

35. hags9k says:

Great post LT.

When I was 17 we packed into the oldsmobile and made the drive from NE SK to Burns Lake for my sisters wedding. (tequila still scares me). Good people up there but what a drive when you are a restless teen. I thought we must have been lost and had crossed the Bering straight and into Russia. Finally we reached a settlement!! Welcome to Prince George the sign says!!! Noooooo!

Thank god for my yellow walkman and Pearl Jam Ten.

36. Showerhead says:

hijack/aside: For those of you who have moved around a bit in your adulthood, how do you feel about it now?

I moved at 3, 15, and 18 and have traveled at some length but am now 32 and have been questioning my commitment to my “home” city for more than a short time.

37. Bag of Pucks says:

Showerhead:
    Bag of Pucks,

Ain’t that the truth. My two lads went through that phase in their late teens where they basically began to challenge almost everything my wife and I tried to instill in them to that point. If you can keep your eye on the big picture, you appreciate that’s a natural part of a young adult testing the boundaries and establishing their own identity. But man, it can be difficult to not take it personally when they’re basically speculating that nearly everything you’ve taught them is currently under review.

5 years on from that and suddenly we’re respected geniuses again. lol

As my Father-in-Law so sagely comments, “the older they get, the smarter you seem.”

38. OmJo says:

LT your website is making me gain weight. I pour a bowl of cereal in the morning, pull up your morning post and next thing I know the unopened box of cereal is empty and I’m only halfway down the comments.

On topic: if Slepyshev isn’t ready to go by season opener I think I’d rather see Ty Rattie called up and Kassian given a shot in the top 6 (Lucic-Draisaitl-Kassian against the Flames would be fun to watch).

39. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Its got to be Rattie over Yamamoto.

Kailer can’t be in the NHL this year, can he?I just don’t see it.

I really, really hope not. Unless he literally plays on Lucics’ shoulders every shift.

40. digger50 says:

RexLibris: It’s part of the contract they make you sign at the hospital before releasing the child. Those nurses can be awfully intimidating.

</blockquote

Too funny Rex.

Tough, not always the sharpest.

41. OmJo says:

Jethro Tull,

Have any other hockey league’s implemented a coaches challenge? Maybe hockey is really just too fast-paced to do so without slowing the game down, especially at the NHL level?

42. oscarmike says:

Yamamoto weighs 155, that’s more than Floyd Mayweather (149.5 pounds) and Conor McGregor (153 pounds). At 5’8″ he must be build like a brick shithouse. Maybe he does make the team this year.

43. GMB3 says:

meanashell11:

That’s quite the interesting life you’ve lived

44. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto is up to 155 – gained 9 pounds since the compound

(or drank a few liters of water before the weigh in).

45. GMB3 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    meanashell11,

– That’s an interesting age to move to NYC… It’s a great city.Moved from: Toronto – Yellowknife – Hamilton – Montreal – London UK – Toronto…

– Now with kids, doubt we will move untill they get older, which is interesting

What type of work did you do that you could move so often?

46. Craig Zonit says:

In response to Bob’s tweet on Slepyshev injury:

Mark Spector‏Verified account
    @SportsnetSpec

Replying to @TSNBobMcKenzie
    #Oilers RW Anton Slepyshev injured an ankle in training. He will miss training camp. Could be iffy for reg season opener.

47. OriginalPouzar says:

Spector is reporting that Slepy injured an ankle in training and will miss training camp and potentially the beginning of the season.

Blah!

Injuries are piling up already – are the hockey gods going to make up for last year?

48. OriginalPouzar says:

Cue the Yamamoto on the team verbal – sigh.

I wonder if that possibility (Kailer on the team) actually closes the book on another acquisition (Franson)?

Yammy on the team would take us to 49 contracts – although, I assume even if he breaks camp with the team that he’ll be gone before game 10 and the slide will take effect.

49. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

GMB3,

– early it was family: my Dad an adventurer so we just went with him. Then school then working in Finance..LT’s words struck a chord with many of us, about the experiences than uplifting family have shape us: I’m sometimes jealous/curious of those who are multi-generational in same town

– Big blow for Slepy: a window that could gone forever if someone steps up in his absence

50. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: thanks for mentioning my name on the air (yes, I was listening at the office).

Feeling famous these days……

51. Professor Q says:

defmn:
    Jason Gregor‏Verified account @JasonGregor 6m6 minutes ago

So he might be faster and have increased stamina, eh?

52. VOR says:

Showerhead,

My grandmother’s steamer trunk had stickers from 89 different countries. I always thought it would be cool to pass her, to travel to 90 different countries. Then I discovered that she’d actually been to 121 different countries, she just didn’t buy the steamer trunk until she was 32. By then I’d learned I am not so much of a traveler as a sojourner – a person who resides temporarily in a place.

I grew up in the Peace River country. I stayed until I was 15 and finished high school. My parents (and their parents before them) were restless souls. My older siblings had, by the time I was born lived in Innisfail, Alberta, Rivers, Manitoba, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Lac La Biche, Alberta, and Dawson Creek, B.C. But my parents decided with their younger children they were going to raise us in one place.

They thought, whatever their personal preference, it was better for us to grow up in one place. They gave into their wander lust by dragging us all over North America. At 15 I had visited every Canadian province but Newfoundland and every US state but Hawaii.

The irony is my parents came to love the Peace River country. Me on the other hand, I knew by the time I was 12 I was getting out the day I graduated high school and never coming back. I don’t mean that in a negative way. I loved growing up there. I had an idyllic childhood. But there was nothing there to engage my mind. I’ve been back three times, the last was to scatter my parents ashes.

At 15 I began wandering the world. I have lived in Edmonton, Los Angeles, Jasper, Banff, Unorganized, YT Y0B 1H0 – which is the mailing address for Kluane National Park, Coal Valley, Ab., San Francisco, the Oregon Dunes National Monument which actually doesn’t have a mailing address or didn’t, Quinsam on the tip of Vancouver Island, Old Massett on Graham Island, Sherwood Park, Ab., Surrey, B.C. and finally on a farm in the Ribstones in East Central Alberta.

To answer your question, I would do it all again, except I would have taken the job in Otago in New Zealand as well. I’ve loved each of the places I’ve lived. But I’ve moved on without much of a thought, or any nostalgia. I’ve come to believe it is more important the attitude you bring than where you choose to deploy it.

53. meanashell11 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Business brought me to Toronto and then NYC. Been here 14 years and kids all grown up now. Someday will move back to Montreal!

54. NativeNotFrench says:

Ryan Ellis is expected to miss several months according to my NHL feed. January is a tentative return date. They’re probably the best built d corps to handle a loss like that but that is still a big loss to Nashville

55. meanashell11 says:

Showerhead,

It has been interesting. I sort of see myself as a citizen of the world. I have friends all over the place, when I go to London I have friends, Toronto, friends, Montreal, family. My kids see themselves as american and will probably stay here but for one brief moment in 2010, they knew they were Canadian!

56. meanashell11 says:

GMB3,

My dad was in the oil business then I am in finance.

57. Bag of Pucks says:

Loving the timing of this ‘roots’ discussion today and a special irony for me given the Penticton seque.

Strongly considering moving to Penticton in the next 3-5 years to get the ball rolling on eventual retirement.

58. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

NativeNotFrench,

Just saw this as well. Huge loss. Add to this the losses of Vatanen/Lindholm for the Ducks and general unsteadiness/unproveness for the Phlegms….

Oiler Optimism Meter continues to climb

59. VOR says:

Bag of Pucks,

I love Penticton. It is amazingly beautiful. My wife and I used to plan to retire there. My wife likes the lake and the cultural life and I love the wilderness that surrounds it. And we both like the wine.

I applaud your idea of moving there early as part of a phase in.

That is part of what we are doing out here in the middle of Alberta. We decided, after test driving a lot of places, to retire in Killam. The farm is close enough to Killam that my wife has a part time job there, we both belong to local boards, volunteer at various community events, buy our groceries there, see our doctors there, go to all the parades, rodeos, etc. In other words when we retire it won’t feel too strange to live in town.

We are house shopping now. The idea is that I will use it as an office until we are ready to move off the farm. We will semi-live there. Some nights we will stay over. That way we can visit with friends in the winter. Again, hopefully our retirement will be somewhat anti-climatic as a result of all this preparatory work.

We want to be able to put a whole bunch of energy, time, and money into travelling. So Penticton had to be dropped from the plan. Except as a place to visit.

60. NativeNotFrench says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    NativeNotFrench,

Oiler Optimism Meter continues to climb

So many question marks on so many teams. West is going to be a crapshoot but we have the best guy at the table

61. jm363561 says:

Quite a thread – Sheffield, London, Singapore, Dubai, Edmonton, Bahrain, Philippines (all with the same company). Probably a few too many women behind some of these moves. Could easily be in Edmonton today had the curse of cancer not struck.

It all worked out somehow – great wife, two great kids, I now work because I want to. But how I got here was nothing like the plan.

62. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like Franson has signed a PTO with the Hawks.

63. Chachi says:

Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account @EdmontonOilers 3m3 minutes ago

64. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Sounds like Franson has signed a PTO with the Hawks.

It also sounds like (if the source is legit) that Franson had one-year offers but has chose to go with a PTO.

I wonder if CHI gave him some sort of verbal of a 2-year deal if he shows at camp.

65. adamjames says:

Re: Samorukov signing..

Is it common for teams to sign 3rd rounders in the sane offseason as draft? Is this to prevent any KHL offers? Just seems strange to me. Maybe the team sees a big season coming up and wants to sign him based on current 3rd rounder salary scale?

Thoughts anyone?

66. Bank Shot says:

Chachi:
    Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account @EdmontonOilers3m3 minutes ago
    MoreThe #Oilers have signed forward Dmitri Samorukov (third-round pick at the 2017 #NHLDraft) to a three-year ELC: https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-sign-samorukov/c-290904316

Isn’t that a little early to be signing a guy with his resume?

67. striatic says:

“(Burns Lake school was divided into four groups for sports, including the Viscounts, Dukes, and two similar names so bad I’ve forgotten them)”

I’m going to guess Barons and Princes.

68. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

Honestly, the Sekera injury alone puts us ahead of last year in terms of games lost to important players.

Tough blow for Sleppy too.

69. geowal says:

Bank Shot: Isn’t that a little early to be signing a guy with his resume?

My thoughts exactly. Usually you’d at least get a training camp viewing in.

70. OriginalPouzar says:

I was also wondering about signing him so early.

They signed Wells pretty early as well I think.

71. Showerhead says:

VOR,

Thank you kindly VOR – this was a pleasure to read.

72. Showerhead says:

Bag of Pucks,

I laughed out loud at the “suddenly we’re respected geniuses again” line. I have a lot of friends whose parents have grown wildly more brilliant in the last 5-10 years. Mine, too, I think 🙂

I guess that’s the way of things.

73. Showerhead says:

meanashell11,

We share a couple of places (and family in Montreal) but yeah, that’s quite the ride and a good perspective. This “In 2010 my kids felt Canadian” business… What happened in 2014? 😉

74. Bag of Pucks says:

VOR:
    Bag of Pucks,

I applaud your idea of moving there early as part of a phase in.

Sounds well thought out. Have a good friend out Forestburg way and the country is beautiful. Fresh!

Definitely been a circuitous route arriving at the Penticton decision. We were originally looking at Revelstoke but that started to feel too isolated after further consideration, then it was Kelowna after the wife’s sister moved there – but I absolutely hate the city planning of the place (or lack thereof). Penticton seems to strike the right balance between the two and our last two trips out to try it on for size have been very enjoyable.

Totally get the wont to park a good chunk of the nest egg for further travel, For me however, I traveled quite extensively when I was younger and I seem to have worn out my patience for it and become a bit of curmudgeon about it now. Takes a ton of cajoling to get me on an airplane these days. Planning vacations outside the country has become a bit of a challenge as my wife is all about the quality of the beaches and I’m all about striking sports venues off my bucket list! Next up, a Raiders game in Oakland before they depart for Lost Wages.

75. geowal says:

Also, he’s a D no? That Twitter from the Oilers had him as forward.

striatic:

I’m going to guess Barons and Princes.

I think Barons is correct, not Princes though. Lords? It might have been house of Lords.

77. OriginalPouzar says:

geowal:
    Also, he’s a D no? That Twitter from the Oilers had him as forward.

You are correct – Oilers’ twitter corrected it.

78. Chachi says:

Gregor thinks they signed Samorukov now in order to keep him in North America and away from the KHL. Makes some sense, especially if he has a big season in the OHL this year.

79. GMB3 says:

oscarmike:
    Yamamoto weighs 155, that’s more than Floyd Mayweather (149.5 pounds)and Conor McGregor (153 pounds). At 5’8″he must be build like a brick shithouse. Maybe he does make the team this year.

I’m pretty sure he’s more like 5’6 not 5’8.

80. SwedishPoster says:

So Samorukov is the Sekera replacement. Interesting…

81. Professor Q says:

oscarmike:

82. westcoastjos says:

GMB3,

173 cm converts to 5.67 feet. 0.67 feet converts to 8 inches and change, so he is 5 feet 8 inches.

83. Todd Macallan says:

VOR,

As someone who grew up in Whitehorse it’s cool to hear someone living out in Kluane, just beautiful country. Curious if this was around Haines Junction where you were?

Funny enough, we moved to Whitehorse at age 5 from Forestburg, absolutely love that part of the world (Mom grew up in Bruce, Grandma now living in Viking, used to babysit the Sutters haha). Only time in Killam was a Nitty Gritty Dirt Band concert, was probably 4 years old. Needless to say I’m a fan of that town as well!

For completeness sake, given the theme:
    Edmonton—Forestbug—Whitehorse—Calgary(spits)—Golden, BC—Whitehorse—St. John’s.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: I know he likely isn’t Kane, but Kane was what, 5’9″ish and 160 lbs in his rookie season (bit bigger now)? So not completely out of the question but it’d be the smarter choice to have him lead Spokane. Could go on to the Memorial Cup and have a good run.

To me its not really just the smarter choice, its the only reasonable choice.

Even if he was an average sized player with the exact same skill/game, it would probably still be the smart choice – still let him develop one more year add before we get in to that ELC – even if he “could” play in the NHL, he’d almost assuredly be more of an impact player with one more year of development.

85. kgo says:

LT I love ya, but I can see right through you, there’s no way you honestly believe Yamamoto will make this squad, you’re just stirring up the comments?

86. VOR says:

Todd Macallan:
    VOR,

For completeness sake, given the theme:
    Edmonton—Forestbug—Whitehorse—Calgary(spits)—Golden, BC—Whitehorse—St. John’s.

I lived mostly in Burwash Landing though I spent a lot of time in Haines Junction or in the wilderness of Asi Keyt. Burwash Landing is on Kluane Lake and it is way beyond beautiful even in the winter. Home to the Kluane First Nation, fascinating self government, way beyond progressive. I think there might have been a hundred people living in the area, maybe. Most of them aboriginal. A truly unique experience.

87. VOR says:

Todd,

Also,

The Bruce rodeo is one of my favorite events, anywhere, ever. If you get the chance (and I mean all of the posters here) you really should go. I volunteer every year.

I had an office in Viking for a while, actually closer to the farm than Killam but I have active business clients there and that makes it a bit too easy for them to just drop by for coffee.

I loved the Will the Circle Be Unbroken albums.

88. Todd Macallan says:

VOR,

Have definitely been through Burwash in the past, usually on the drive to Anchorage, but typically took the other fork in the road on annual fishing trips out to Haines, AK with Dad.

I love that you mentioned the rodeo, never figure ppl know it haha. My entire childhood, each summer was defined by the annual trip down to the Rodeo for a massive family reunion. Life has since gotten in the way and it’s been a while since I’ve been, but the folks made it back a couple yrs ago for the 100th.

Interesting that the Bruce Rodeo is the second oldest running rodeo after Calgary. Also, being in Killam if you ever get a chance to attend the weekly Bruce Hotel steak night you should (call weeks in advance to get a seat though). A few current Oilers have actually been known to make the hour drive out there for it haha.

89. VOR says:

Bag of Pucks,

Revelstoke is really a fascinating choice. Great climate, wonderful outdoor opportunities. But I get the isolation thing. I find it claustrophobic.

Actually, I turned down a chance to teach in Kelowna because I find even that a bit confining. Not to mention the worst town planning imaginable. In four weeks there I spent five different days stuck for over an hour on that stupid bridge because of traffic problems in town..

One of the things I loved about living in San Francisco was Oakland. It wasn’t just sporting events, it actually has a fascinating cultural live of its own. Great live music, interesting art galleries, live modern and interpretive dance, etc. A lot of my time in San Francisco was spent exploring the surrounding communities.

I had friends who had a “houseboat” in Sausalito. Since they were squatting they had money for other things, like fine whiskey and finer sea food that I couldn’t afford then and actually still couldn’t. Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley was as close to a center for the New Age as anywhere when I was there. Wandering around you could get high on second hand smoke (see things to do when you have no money).

But for all that it was Oakland that won my heart. First place I ever saw lowriders and ate arepas. It is a city with no pretension at all.

If your wife doesn’t mind the cold, San Francisco has some of the most spectacular beaches I have ever seen. It is wise, however, to remember Mark Twain’s famous quip, “the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.” I am a polar bear, I love the water and the cold – you can guess why Kelowna was a poor fit. Your wife could visit the great beaches of the Bay Area (they aren’t all cold) while you gorge on pro sports.

90. VOR says:

Todd Macallan,

Bruce Hotel – most romantic and best Valentine’s Day meal ever (the center of Steak week). The couple who took us had to book almost a year in advance if I remember rightly. They imparted all this wisdom from being married 40+ years. She has passed away and he is in a nursing home now, and time marches on but their advice still keeps my marriage alive and well.

91. Todd Macallan says:

VOR,

That is a great story. I have nothing but the fondest memories of the hotel and town in general.

I was there last summer with my parents after visiting my Grandma in Viking. Her and my Grandfather actually ran the general store just down from the hotel for many years, Mom growing up living in the back of the store.

Turned out that night having steak our server was my Mom’s 3rd grade teacher from the Bruce school. Imagine that kind of thing happens often there.

92. VOR says:

Todd Macallan,

Most of the people out here wear more than one hat (some a lot more) and nobody ever willingly retires. Some drive school buses, others wait tables, or run the car wash but sitting around doing nothing does not come naturally to my neighbors. Then everybody is connected with everyone else by no more than three degrees of separation. (You want to be really careful not to offend anybody since everybody is connected to everybody else).

My wife has one of those great stories. As well as helping me run my company she takes whatever work she can get in Killam. Over one two week period she worked in a local restaurant, filled in for the librarian while she was on holidays, volunteered at the local second hand charity, catered several local gigs, worked in admitting at the local hospital, and a bunch more stuff I can’t remember.

The thing is there was this couple who were new to town and they kept running into my wive. It didn’t matter what business or public building they went to, there she was. They thought it was pretty funny that she was the only employee in Killam and they have been close friends ever since.

93. OriginalPouzar says:

Looking forward to seeing the lineup for tonight’s game.

Likely will miss the first half of Saturday’s game so I’m hoping to see the Yamamoto/Joe G. combo as well as Safin and Maksimov tonight.