YOUNG STARS GAME TWO: OILERS V. JETS

Game 2 in Penticton goes tonight as the Winnipeg Jets rookies offer the opposition. Although still fairly new to the NHL (this time), the Jets are known for terrific youth and they have another good bunch this year.

LAST YEAR’S GAME TWO LINEUP AND COMMENTS

• Joey Benik—Chad Butcher—Patrick Russell: This is a line of older prospects (compared to the group), both Benik and Butcher were solid last game, Russell less so. We should watch the RW’s skating tonight.
  • Collin Shirley—Carson Stadnyk—Jaedon Descheneau: Shirley had an eventful game last night, Stadnyk didn’t get to touch the puck much and the skill winger sees his first action tonight.
  • Braden Christoffer—Kyle Platzer—Greg Chase: This line should be able to get some things done tonight, both wingers bring a rugged style and Platzer is a fine two-way winger. If Edmonton wins (I do not think they will), this trio will have a big game.
  • Lane Bauer—Thomas Foster—Tomas Soustal: Although list as the 4line, this trio made end up playing a bigger role than the Stadnyk line. Although we might view this group as being superfluous, important evening for these young men.
  • Caleb Jones—Matt Benning: This pairing was very strong one night ago and the coaching staff wants to see them again. Good arrows for both, bet Jones and Benning are in the mix for late games during the NHL exhibition schedule.
  • Kyle Jenkins—Aaron Irving: Jenkins is an unsigned Hurricanes selection and Irving was part of the Oil Kings Memorial Cup winner. Five of six blue shone last night, so the pressure is on. Neither man played last evening.
  • Ben Betker—Kayle Doetzel: Betker had a strong game last night, Doetzel is a giant stay-at-home blue from the Red Deer Rebels who plays his first game tonight.
  • Dylan Wells: I am glad he gets the whole game, we know so little and this should be an excellent test.

THIS YEAR’S GAME TWO LINEUP

• Joe Gambardella-Chad Butcher-Kirill Maksimov
  • Evan Polei-Ethan Szypula-Trey Fix-Wolansky
  • Grayson Pawlenchuk-Davis Koch-Brandon Saigeon
  • Luke Coleman-Lane Bauer-Steve Owre
  • William Lagesson-Ethan Bear
  • Dmitri Samorukov-Sahvan Khaira
  • Liam Schioler-Austin Strand
  • Stuart Skinner (Shane Starrett)

NOTES

• The top line tonight features two of last night’s goal scorers and Gambardella who somehow didn’t cash on that follow-up chance on the Kailer Yamamoto rush. That should be the Oilers top line tonight.
  • The second line features a curious player (Szypula) who Brock Otten tells us plays a big man’s game despite lack of size. Polei and Fix-Wolansky should give him plenty of support.
  • Davis Koch did more to help himself than any other draft eligible player last night (to my eye) in Game One, picking up a couple of assists while playing on the most effective line.
  • Lagesson-Bear should see plenty of action tonight, they are the most experienced defenders in the lineup.
  • Sahvan Khaira is the most interesting free agent (for me) among this year’s invites. He’s a very physical player.
  • Stuart Skinner gets the start tonight in front of a group that lacks experience and pedigree. That’s a good spot for a goalie to show well, we’ll see how it goes.

JETS PROJECTED LINEUP (VIA WINNIPEG SUN)

• Skyler McKenzie-Jansen Harkins-Mason Appleton
  • Francis Beauvillier-Tyler Boland- Michael Spacek
  • Mathieu Sevigny-Kristian Reichel-Jordy Stallard
  • Cristiano DiGiacinto-Kameron Kielly-Kody McDonald
  • Logan Stanley-Leon Gawanke
  • Sami Niku-Luke Green
  • Antoinie Crete Belzile-Michael Webster
  • Jamie Phillips (Mikhail Berdin)

Some interesting names (Jansen Harkins, Logan Stanley, Skyler McKenzie, Francis Beauvillier) and I have no doubt a bunch of these names will eventually emerge as pro players of value (the Jets are excellent in procurement).

CHRIS KELLY

Word today that the Oilers are bringing Chris Kelly to main camp on a PTO. I thought he would return to the Ottawa Senators (there was some speculation this week) so this is an interesting turn. I’ve read quite a few tweets today about this being a favor to Kelly, but I think it is more likely an indication the Oilers are concerned about the penalty kill. Kelly has a lot of experience in this area and it is a need for the organization. In this way, the invite makes a lot of sense.

45 Responses to "YOUNG STARS GAME TWO: OILERS V. JETS"

1. RexLibris says:

Just a quick thought on this roster (and particularly Sahvan Khaira) vs the Jets – I watched about 5 minutes of the Jets/Canucks game last night and in that, albeit limited, amount of time saw the Jets’ prospects doing what I’ve noticed them doing for as long as they’ve been a part of this series, namely playing physical and on the edge.

Sahvan may have his work cut out for him this evening, though more likely I expect that will fall to the forward corps as they will most likely be the ones doing the majority of the puck-chasing and spending time in the NZ where the Jets’ prospects seemed to like to hunt for hits.

2. Melvis says:

JDI:

Man, did I ever blank those guys out. Now I’m just blanking out the fact that over the years my feet got bigger and my dick got smaller.

3. stush18 says:

Hey georges,

Excellent post in the last page about Russell.

I think it’s very obvious we cannot track and measure what needs to be measured yet. I honestly don’t know if we ever will tbh. Hockey is such a strange game compared to other sports. Analytics are colouring in the picture, but I’m not sure if we’ll ever reach the edges.

Anyways, thought I’d just let you know I agree with your words very much

4. stush18 says:

I heard the Kelly PTO was so the oilers could ice a minimum amount of vets in preseason games.

Chiarelli apparently offered the tryout to Kelly, and not vice versa.

5. Edmonton_fan says:

To keep my wife happy, we are in Winery Tour country. Going to the game tonight to keep me happy… 😉

Anything jumps out – I will post.

6. JDî says:

Melvis,

That’s just the arches in your feet flattening out, and your belly getting bigger.

7. tcho says:

Oy vay. Advanced Stats do not paint a pretty picture of Mr. Kelly.

CF 34.4%
    CFRel -17.4%
    FF 35.8%
    DZStarts 59.2%

Maybe they should invite Lennart Petrell back on a PTO too?

8. stush18 says:

tcho:
    Oy vay. Advanced Stats do not paint a pretty picture of Mr. Kelly.

CF 34.4%
    CFRel -17.4%
    FF 35.8%
    DZStarts 59.2%

Maybe they should invite Lennart Petrell back on a PTO too?

Ya I can’t see him having a real shot at making the team.

Edmonton_fan:

Anything jumps out – I will post.

Excellent!

10. Oil2Oilers says:

My take a way from the Chia interview;

In the long term interest of the team Nurse having a slow start to the season and Benning having a strong start is important. It will keep Russell on the left hand side until Sekera gets back.

Though it seems unlikely a Franson or Jagr signing to keep the kids honest/make them earn it on the week right flank would be ideal.

11. JDî says:

Oil2Oilers: My take a way from the Chia interview

12. Oil2Oilers says:

JDî,

Benning has a lot to sweat about!

13. season not played says:

Here is the thing a lot of people don’t get about Draisaitl.

I might trade him for Mathews maybe Eichel but other than that because of his age, size and skill set I don’t trade him for another centre in the league, period.

He will be dominant all over the ice, post haste.

14. stush18 says:

JDî: Mine: Chia looked the most relaxed and confident of the western Canadian GMs. Benning had a bit of a sweat on throughout his interview.

Benning always looks like he’s nervous about something

15. JDî says:

stush18,

Which makes this guy’s confidence all the more puzzling.

16. Oil2Oilers says:

JDî:
    stush18,

Which makes this guy’s confidence all the more puzzling.

He is just slow to catch on to things, I bet the Oilers centre depth issues during his tenure are just starting to dawn on him now.

17. digger50 says:

When searching for the Winnipeg/Vancouver game yesterday I can across a video of “Benning miked up” during the draft.

He and his draft team struck me as very unprepared, basically looked like they were just wingin it. Couple comments from his scouts and “yeah, yeah, let’s take this guy. A spur of the moment try to trade down, or to pick up more picks. They seemed very lackadaisical overall.
    Suprised me.

If I knew how to do the link thing I would.

18. Oil2Oilers says:

I hope that hair don’t is for charity

19. Edmonton_fan says:

Gambardella stole a cross ice pass. Maksimov some nice moves. Until Coleman’s goal – but Saigeon did the perfect set up.

20. Oilanderp says:

Skinnnerrrr!

21. Edmonton_fan says:

Khaira set up an impossible yet easy tap in if the forward anticipated the pass. Just had to place his stick perfect.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Got home just in time to see Skinner make an absolutely incredible save.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Matt Benning on the 1st pairing with Jones tonight – he should dominate but I’d prefer if he was getting ready for main camp.

I kid.

Stuart Skinner made one of the best saves I’ve seen in that period. 1-0 Edmonton

25. Edmonton_fan says:

Skinner squared himself perfectly on all first period shots – made one challenging save. Overall was calm as his team mates cleared most traffic nicely.

26. Edmonton_fan says:

This period the Winnipeg goalie is in front of me – easier to monitor Oilers offense. Lots of solid checks in the 1st.

27. Nuclear leak says:

Doughty just wants to win cups, he’d have more success with Connor then against.

Nuge, Pulj, Nurse.. sell the farm.

28. Edmonton_fan says:

Gambard set that goal up perfectly.

29. Edmonton_fan says:

That is why they are a set line tonight. Twas easy for Butcher.

30. Oilanderp says:

Congratulations on your new contract Mr. Butcher.

31. Edmonton_fan says:

Three times Saigeon appeared good in the offensive zone. Who is he?

32. JDî says:

I’m still not comfortable with seeing the number 86 on the Oilers’ blue line.

More good work from Skinner this period, 2-0 after two periods. Butcher scored, Gambardella picked up an assist, I’ve liked the performance of a lot of these kids tonight. .Szypula made a dandy play to get back on a two on one to break it up, Koch smart, good plays all over the ice.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilanderp:
    Congratulations on your new contract Mr. Butcher.

He’s already got one – AHL only.

35. Rocknrolla says:

At the game again as well…

Skinner is looking very solid. Massive save in first and quite a number of good non rebout gathering of the puck.

KHaira a bit of a tire fire, not making the right reads and out of position a lot.

Butcher and hianline with Gambardella and Maksimov looking good.

FUn atmosphere here tonight…quite a few oilers jerseys!

Thanks again to LT for having me on air today, was a lot of fun!

36. OriginalPouzar says:

I think Skinner is #4 on Team Canada’s depth chart of the WJHC – It would be awesome if he could bump someone out and make it as even the third goalie (do they take 3?).

Not at the expense of Wells though, of course.

37. Tarkus says:

Edmonton_fan:
    Three times Saigeon appeared good in the offensive zone. Who is he?

If he makes it to the main camp and then goes on a tear to start the autumn, would it be known as the Fall of Saigeon?

38. Rocknrolla says:

Koch absolutely creamed head shot. Wow can’t believe he got up after that!

39. Edmonton_fan says:

That should have been a 5 minute elbowing penalty. Happened 50 feet right in front of me.

40. Edmonton_fan says:

Another great Skinner save

41. Rondo says:

William Lagesson looks steady.

42. Oil2Oilers says:

Does Makismov use a Draisaitl size canoe paddle? He look like he has the tools to be a player.

43. Edmonton_fan says:

Skinner and Saigeon impressed me the most; our top line worked very well together. Bear did nothing good that jumped out at me – but overall our defense was better than Wpg’s forwards.

44. Soup Fascist says:

Rogers Place breaks into a “Go Oilers Go” chant with a minute left in a UFC title fight.

Renaissance Fans we ain’t.

And that is OK.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

Oil2Oilers:

I was more excited to see Safin coming in to the tourney but, so far, Maksimov has been the more prominent of the two players. I assume Safin is in on Monday while Maksimov gets the game off but we’ll see.

It will be very interesting watching these two prospects in junior this year.