GOODBYE PENTICTON

It was a very successful trip to Penticton for the Edmonton Oilers and the 28 hopefuls who played for the club. It’s always important to remember the age of these kid (18 is miles from 23) and of course it’s a rookie tournament so we need to take these things in the proper measure. I saw the three games, here’s my take.

THE ROOKIE INVITES, 2017

• LC Lane Bauer. Played the solid two-way game we expect from him.
  • L Luke Coleman. Big winger scored a goal, looked good in a support role.
  • R Trey Fix-Wolansky. He showed flashes but played on secondary lines where skill is less prevalent.
  • RC Austin Glover. He did a lot of the heavy work miles from the skill. Picked up an assist.
  • RD Sahvan Khaira. Huge defender made his presence felt with rugged play. I bet the Oilers like him.
  • C-W Davis Koch: He played very well, showed skill and made deft passes.
  • RC Steve Owre: Didn’t have a feature role but played well in minutes given.
  • LC Grayson Pawlenchuk. He is a responsible player, also scored a goal.
  • LC Brandon Saigeon. Another role player I liked his confident play and solid passing.
  • LD Liam Schioler. He had good and bad moments, mostly steady play.
  • RD Austin Strand. Like Schioler, there were noticeable moments good and bad. He has talent.
  • RC Ethan Szypula.  I saw him good, Syzpula is skilled and determined.

ROSTER PLAYERS

• G Shane Starrett. I thought he played well today, the team in front of him was slow to the rink. Starrett had the game buttoned down until some penalty trouble late, I liked his play.
  • G Dylan Wells. A strong game on Friday night, Wells set the tone for the goalies this weekend with strong, consistent play.
  • G Stuart Skinner. The most spectacular outing of the three men, Skinner made a scintillating save (I had to look it up) in getting the shutout. Helluva debut.
  • LD Caleb Jones. I would rate him as the most consistent defender on a weekend when all of the blue looked good or better. Jones has terrific wheels, to me his feet were far more calm than a year ago.
  • RD Ethan Bear. Strong with the puck in the entire tournament, he was a little loose defensively in the first game but tightened it up in game two. A big season ahead.
  • LD William Lagesson. I was very impressed with him. Good speed, smart player. I wish he was staying in North America, would like to see him develop.
  • LD Ziyat Paigin. There is more risk to his game (based on this tournament) but his wingspan is a monster and his shot is military strength. I guarantee the Oilers love him.
  • RD Ryan Mantha. Another big shot from the point, for me Mantha showed more than I thought he would in this tournament. Patience, defense is a tough damned job, but he has a lot of tools.
  • LD Dmitri Samorukov. I was very impressed with him, especially considering age. Very mobile, wonderful skater who can also stop and start effectively at what is a very early age. He’s good.
  • LC Joe Gambardella. Took him awhile to find his game but he was all over the ice today and ends the tournament near the top of the scoring charts. He’s going to have a say in things.
  • L Tyler Benson. He skated with the team and that is a good arrow.
  • L Kirill Maksimov. His goals were spectacular and he showed effort during the tournament. He’s not as dynamic as Yamamoto but very talented.
  • L Evan Polei. Butcher will (deservedly) get the headlines but for me no one without an NHL contract did more at this tournament to help himself than Polei. He’s got soft hands, better speed than I recalled and he’s a rugged bordering on agitating winger. Bet the Oilers noticed him.
  • R Kailer Yamamoto. He impressed the hell out of me today. Yamamoto and his teammates had a sleepy first period, but the 18-year old was the one who worked hard on the PK to get himself going. I thought he had the shift of the tournament (shorthanded) in the second period with strong performances at both ends.
  • R Ostap Safin. He went from disappointing in game one to brilliant in the final game. He has inconsistent shifts but when Safin brings it he’s a difference maker at an early age. Stunning goal.
  • R Chad Butcher. He was the MVP of the tournament in my books, never a tentative moment from beginning to end. He’ll have an impact in Bakersfield if he can bring his entire game to California.

We’re on to the college game and then main camp. Buckle up.

21 Responses to "GOODBYE PENTICTON"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Overall, I had a fantastic time watching the tournament.

We sure drafted some talent this past year in Samorukov, Yamamoto, Maksimov and Safin – and Skinner.

Our forward prospect pool looks alot better than it did before this year’s draft.

Lets hope than Benson can play a full season become a real prospect against and bridge the gap until the newly drafted are ready.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Great write-up.

I agree with most, in particular about Mantha showing more than expected and Paigin.

I don’t believe Butcher has an NHL contact – only an AHL contract.

3. GMB3 says:

On the basis of being a year older, and from what I’ve heard/seen from Penticton, maybe Mantha should be a full time AHLer opposed to the proposed Echo/AHL split I’ve seen mentioned here.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3:

I am thinking along the same lines.

Interested in how this plays out at main camp.

5. digger50 says:

Really good summary LT

Sure nice to have so many good d men to praise. They delivered as expected.

Butcher was a nice surprise.

For me the best player I watched was Joe G. Hoping he did well and he delivered. Drake / Joe G / Kassian could be a heck of a fourth line.

Not trying to bump Lestestu, just sayin.

I like the depth Peter added but I think we have enough. I was hoping for a difference maker, top 4 or top 9 player, thus not really thrilled with Chris Kelly invite. I don’t know the man but the question will be do we go with some veteran talent on the fourth line, or do we load it up with speed?

Not sure what Kelly brings that Hendricks couldn’t.

I think I would load the fourth line up with speed. Letestu still needed for his utility role this year but his plays 40 games.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Joe G performed up to expectations given he’s 23. I think he will be in the mix for a call-up depending on how things go but I’m not ready to bump him past (or up with) the likes of Letestu, Khaira, Malone and Callaghan based on the prospect games.

He’ll be at camp for a little while I would think – should get a couple real preseason gamew.

7. Dino says:

Great summary LT as always.

I think we’ve got to give credit thus far where it’s due. Chiarelli and his team spent most of their draft picks trying to improve the defensive prospect pool and the goalie prospect pool and I think they’ve addressed it excellently. Now let’s hope they develop properly in the next 2-3 years.

I think the next focus for the GM and his scouts will be more talented forwards and they’ve already started targeting that with Yamamoto, Safin and Maksimov. Very excited to see those 3 develop in the next couple of years. They really impressed me today.

8. Bos8 says:

Was at all three games.

The D really impressed, Mantha was a,surprise, but the D corps was solid overall, good skaters all.

Maksymov, a mess of talent. Best Oiler forward, Lordy, what a release. Beat the goalie three times where he didn’t move. Uncanny.

9. Derek says:

The Edmonton Oilers had the strongest NHL team out of the bunch last season, and their prospects managed to sweep the rookie tournament with just the one first rounder if I’m not mistaken?

The times, they are A-changin.

10. dustrock says:

Having one shot scorers is a very important thing.

11. Rondo says:

Derek:

The times, they are A-changin.

Yes indeed.

12. Bruce McCurdy says:

Ostap Safin looked like he ate his spinach during the second intermission. He was outstanding in the final frame. That one shift where he hit the post on a breakaway, came all the way back to steal the puck on the back check, & later set up Koch for another shot off the post, was just fantastic. All over the ice.

13. GMB3 says:

For those who watched all of the games, who looked more impressive, Maksimov or Safin? Very interested in both of these young players.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3:

Oh, Maksimov without a doubt.

Maksimov had a tough first period against Calgary taking a few penalties and a bit hit (I think) but he settled in after that and was a consistent performed – involved in the play offensively fairly consistently.

Safin would generally be a non-fact for large stretches and then break out with a skill play. He was quite good in the 3rd period tonight.

Both showed a great amount of skill including high-end releases on their shots (both scored goals off such quick-release shots). Maksimov simply showed more consistency (and drive) in the games.

Lets not forget, Maksimov is used to the N. American ice whereas Safin is still adjusting thereto.

15. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar: Oh, Maksimov without a doubt.

Thanks for this OP.

I look forward to seeing how both of them do in the CHL this year. Plenty of the draft reports I’ve read both on LT’s blog and from own time googling had these players ranked significantly higher than where the Oilers drafted them. Gimme all the big europeans with skill!

On the surface, it appears to me that Chia has definitely done an excellent job of drafting players who have higher ceilings than their draft position would normally merit.

16. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m extremely excited about these two prospects and I think its awesome that both will be playing in the CHL this year. The only possible detriment of Safin coming over to the CHL is the inability to play him in the AHL next year if he looks ready for it.

Miles to go with both these kids but they both showed enormous potential this week – in particular Maksimov.

17. flea says:

I kept trying to spot Yamamoto as the “little guy” on the ice but didnt see it. He plays an aggressive style and isnt afraid of contact.

18. JDî says:

GMB3: Maksimov or Safin?

Max for sure, but that final period of Safin left some doubt in my mind.

Full game if you missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GGLtLJhkqo

19. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I’m extremely excited about these two prospects and I think its awesome that both will be playing in the CHL this year.The only possible detriment of Safin coming over to the CHL is the inability to play him in the AHL next year if he looks ready for it.

Just one more year of development before he starts burning his ELC so I’m not opposed to it. And most guys drafted that late aren’t ready by the time they are 20 anyways

20. OriginalPouzar says:

I guess, assuming he signs, back to the CHL next year will allow his contract t to slide.

21. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Loved that play as well. Thought Safin was inconsistent. Definitely has the skills and the physical attributes to make a difference but as we heard on draft day there seems to be a bit of a motivational issue. Could be a problem for a young player (cough Reinhart cough) but I really like the skill set and those are some soft mitts for a big player.

Maksimov impressed me, very engaged, looking to create space and unafraid to go to the tough areas and take shots. Rookie tourney so I’ll be watching to see how it translates but I liked his game.

Once Kailer starts hanging around with CmD, Drai and the Looch he’s gonna rock and roll. So much raw talent and just listening to the guy before watching him play you can tell there is a drive to play. Very much looking forward to seeing him in the main camp. My hunch is that he keeps pushing things farther and farther. His issue is going to be keeping a well rounded game in place while trying to keep up with the big guns. Young minds can be fleeting when the offense is flying.