GDT: OILERS ROOKIES V. NAIT/MACEWAN

I met Grant MacEwan years ago, he possessed both the eclectic qualities we associate with inventors and innovators and the kind of homespun wisdom and humor we associate with what is good about our part of the world. On the one occasion I had a chance to break bread with him, had the good sense to listen more than prattle. I think there are people who inspire that kind of respect by walking in the room.

OILERS V. NAIT/MACEWAN

• Joe Gambardella (3gp, 3-1-4)—Chad Butcher (3gp, 3-4-7)—Kailer Yamamoto (2gp, 0-1-1)
  • Kirill Maksimov (3gp, 2-2-4)—Lane Bauer (3gp, 0-0-0)—Ostap Safin (2gp, 1-0-1)
  • Evan Polei (3gp, 1-0-1)— Davis Koch (2gp, 0-3-3)—Ethan Szypula (2gp, 0-0-0)
  • Grayson Pawlenchuk (2gp, 0-0-0)—Austin Glover (2gp, 0-1-1)—Trey Fix-Wolansky (3gp, 0-0-0)
  • Caleb Jones (2gp, 0-1-1)—Ethan Bear (2gp, 0-0-0)
  • William Lagesson (2gp, 0-0-0)—Ryan Mantha (2gp, 0-2-2)
  • Ziyat Paigin (2gp, 1-0-1)—Dmitri Samorukov (2gp, 0-0-0)
  • Dylan Wells (1gp, 2.00 .929)—Stuart Skinner (1gp, 0.00  1.000)

This looks like the ideal lineup from here, all of the prospect skaters are in action and the most recently drafted wingers are all getting feature roles. Defense is impressive, goaltender is one of the top men in the system. If you are a fan of prospects, this should be a fun night.

Next up for us is the Oilers training camp roster, it could be released at any time between now and Friday around noon. I’ll have a ‘roster estimate’ up for you tomorrow, we could see a late invite and of course we’ll talk about Bob McKenzie’s 2018 initial draft list on tomorrow’s blog.

67 Responses to "GDT: OILERS ROOKIES V. NAIT/MACEWAN"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Absolutely love this lineup.

Can’t wait to see all 6 D and the top 2 lines.

Safin and Maksimov together, money!

Hope for another solid performance from the guy that expresses his desire to be the top goalie in the CHL this year – Dylan Wells!

2. The Hermit says:

Is there a legal feed for this game?

Oilers website, suspect their youtube channel as well.

4. kashirat says:

The Hermit,

Supposed to be on OilersTV / Facebook Live.

5. kashirat says:

Not knowing anything about the NAIT/MacEwan players – how’s the competition compared to the Golden Bears? Anyone know why the change this year?

6. OriginalPouzar says:

From listening to Stauffer the last couple of days, I anticipate it will be lower than what we’ve come to expect from the Bears – partially due to the fact that its not a real team but a mix of two thrown together.

7. The Hermit says:

Oilers website, suspect their youtube channel as well.

kashirat:
    The Hermit,

Supposed to be on OilersTV / Facebook Live.

Thank you Gentlemen!

8. Dino says:

Anyone else going to Rogers to watch the game live?

9. Psyche says:

kashirat,

I have the same question. Has there been an article written on why the Oilers aren’t playing the Bears this year? A combined split squad team is a step down in competition no matter how you swing it.

I can’t imagine it was the Bears not wanting to compete in the annual game. Does anyone know the back story?

Re: Golden Bears. It’s just business, not personal.

11. OriginalPouzar says:

Game time – I hope its competitive, might not be (just going on verbal of the competition, don’t know anything about them).

Oilers off to a nice start, a couple of shots by Edmonton, the college team playing well too.

A couple of errant passes by Ethan Bear, no harm but worth noting.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

Ooooff – Bear with an outlet pass picked off at the blueline – would have been a breakaway against if it wasn’t an inch offside.

15. striatic says:

Paigin, ouch.

Thomas Foster caught a lane up against Ziyat Paigin and beat him clean. Paigin may need the Ulanov ‘no stick’ drill. 🙂

17. OriginalPouzar says:

Paigin gets walked on a 1 on 1 and the Oilers are down a goal.

I have NOT been impressed with Paigin in these games.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Bear and Paigin have shown early in this game why neither of them are close to being NHL ready – the first 10 minutes have been a representation of the 4 games for them (without any good plays, yet).

19. striatic says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Paigin gets walked on a 1 on 1 and the Oilers are down a goal.

I have NOT been impressed with Paigin in these games.

At least Paigin’s performance on that play was slightly less awkward than “Andrew’s” failed attempt at solving that Wheel of Fortune puzzle during the break.

A nice series there for the Oilers kids, finding each other in good shooting spots. Finding their way now.

21. BowValleyFan says:

The refs, and linesmen especially look to be on the amateur side. Looks like a couple Hockey Alberta guys got to do the game. Nice experience for them

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Some nice work there by first Jones and then Bear in the offensive zone.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Jones hits the cross bar – he has looked good so far along with Lagesson and Samorukov.

Oilers kids coming on now, Yamamoto and Butcher almost score on the PK as the period fades. Last five minutes or so, we’re seeing Edmonton take over a little here.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Much better 2nd half of the period for Bear and Paigin but both had big trouble early in the first – Bear with a few cross-ice passes picked off at his own blue line and Paigin walked around for a goal and a turnover at the opposition blue line.

Both made some nice offensive plays later in the period.

Jones was the best d-man that period by far – cross bar and generally steady with nice passes.

I’m liking Lagesson as well – hope he comes to N. America next year.

Forwards were meh – 1st line very quiet at evens – very slick/quick steal and set up by Yamo on the PK.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

I expect some tighter play by the Oilers this period and to come out of the period with the lead.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto turns the puck over in the offensive zone and take a PIM.

28. Gret99zky says:

Nice shot of the penalty replay while the breakaway was happening. Lol.

Oilers D good at standing up the college kids in the neutral zone. Mantha just showed us an example.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Butcher looks skilled and shifty once again – nice vision on that cross ice pass to Jones.

Loving me some Caleb Jones!!!!

Oilers kids are rolling now, it’s a matter of the college goalie being able to repeat what Mr. Daigle just posted. A fun game imo.

Some nice skill for the Oilers kids now, 1-0 Nate MacEwan after two periods. A little shy on finish tonight, you’d like to see a snipe or two in the third period. Beyond that, good effort.

33. Gerta Rauss says:

Matty has a new piece up with quotes from Chia re: Nuge and the D and a few other items

Oilers really pushing now. Fun hockey, I admit to cheering a little for this college team.

35. Ryan says:

Gerta Rauss:

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Aside from Jones, I’m loving me some Lagesson – a much better skater and puck mover than I realized. Pretty calm out there as well.

Look for him to have a great season in Sweden and head back to North America next year.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

Wow – Yamamoto you need to stay onside there.

38. tcho says:

Gerta Rauss,

I was looking for this piece on the Journal, but couldn’t find it. Could you point me in the right direction?

39. Gret99zky says:

Gerta Rauss,

Interesting read from Dom Luszczyszyn on NHL Season Preview: Edmonton Oilers. He has them at 93 pts, 3rd in Pacific, and 19th overall.

Flames also come in at 93 pts, but 4th in Pacific, and 20th overall.

Very interesting analytical based projection.

LT, I’d love to hear your take on this method/madness.

Oilers blue in control of this game, so nice to see it. Samorukov is quite impressive.

41. Ryan says:

OriginalPouzar,

How’s Bear’s skating?

Pronman had this to say recently:

“He doesn’t skate all that well but can move the puck, defend fine, and has a cannon. He’s behind fellow WHLer Caleb Jones right now on the prospect depth chart, but it’s certainly possible, with the right opportunity, he could launch himself up the ladder this fall.”

42. OriginalPouzar says:

HIs skating seems fine to me but he makes mistakes out there – mistakes without the puck and mistakes with ill-advised passes.

He just snuck in on the PP and got stoned on a quick one-timer (snap shot).

43. Gret99zky says:

Ryan: Speaking of quotes, “While there’s been a hue and cry this summer to try Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on right wing with Connor McDavid to reboot his offence there’s a better chance of seeing Joey Moss driving the Zamboni.”

Geez. Matty said that. Not a fan of Joey Moss being referenced this way. I’m sure it isn’t malicious, but it’s not appropriate either. IMO.

44. OriginalPouzar says:

tcho:
    Gerta Rauss,

From a quick skim of the article, the Chiarelli quotes aren’t new – they are from the interviews over the weekend.

45. striatic says:

NAIT MacEwan was doing the bend-don’t-break all game, but hey, it worked!

46. OriginalPouzar says:

My overall thoughts on the Prospects Camp:

Overall the young defensive talent is through the roof.

Mantha was pretty darn good in the first game but fell off after that. Didn’t accomplish too much tonight against the students.

Bear and Paigin showed some nice offensive skill throughout but both made a lot of mistakes in every game they played. They generally made mistakes early in games and got better but still, lots of mistakes.

Paigin might just be adjusting to the NA ice but he had gap issued, backed in on his tenders quite often and got walked multiple times in each game leading to goals against.

Bear was pressing passes and turning the puck over and had some defensive zone coverage.

Definite offensive skill for both those guys – they both need time. Paigin isn’t close to NHL ready from the looks of it – it very well could be an adjustment to the ice issue.

Jones, Lagesson and Samorukov thoroughly impressed me.

Jones was by far the best of the group – calm, great skater, good decisions, nice offensive instincts, solid on the body.

Lagesson was fairly solid and a much better skater and puck mover than I anticipated – I really hope he as a great year in Sweden and comes to NA next year.

Samorukov was pretty calm for a just drafted 18 year old and a great skater – I’ve got big plans for him in 3 years or so.

Yamamoto has a ton of skill, quickness and tenacity. Great stick picking off passes – great on the PK. He showed off the skill in the offensive zone but he was quite inconsistent and simply didn’t make all that much happen. Two offensive zone penalties in the game tonight as well as a terrible offside in the third negating a 3 on 1 down by a goal. He made a couple nice skill plays tonight but overall had a pretty bad game.

He looks like a great prospect but, unless something happens at camp playing with real NHL players, he simply will not be in NHL games this year.

Joe G did what was expected. As a more mature player with real NHL aspirations, he was an offensive leader. Nothing spectacular but consistently making good plays. I think he will compete with the likes of Brad Malone for a potential call-up, in particular if our PK needs help.

Maksimov and Safin have incredible talent but are so different on the ice right now.

It was actually Maksimov that was the more impressive player. His skill was on display on a more consistent basis – he was skating, backchecking and making plays.

Safin was generally not that noticeable and then would show off incredible skill for a play (and the entire 3rd period against Van) – he’ll need to work on, well, working. It might also be an adjustment to NA ice.

Butcher – well, he came out of nowhere – very shifty and skilled. He’s a small guy and older (21). He could surprise with a good year in the AHL and earn himself a contract in the sprint – distant bell.

I was really impressed by Evan Polei, another player on an AHL contract – bigger body that was tough on the puck and showed offensive acumen in each game.

The goalies – unreal good. Even Starret who gave up 4 goals played quite well in his game. Wells was very solid in his game and a half. Skinner was unreal good in his SO win – not just solid but spectacular. Wells and Skinner are likely 3 and 4 on Canada’s depth chart for the WJHC – I think Wells might make it but Skinner has some work to do.

Fun game. I don’t think there’s much negative you can place at the feet of the Oilers kids, they dominated. On the other hand, great effort by Nate MacEwan! Very enjoyable two hours.

48. kgo says:

Lowetide, On July 10 you suggested Paigin might make the opening roster this year.

After seeing him this past week, have you changed your prediction?

(I ask because at the time I counted him 17th on the depth chart, and was surprised by your commentary on the player)

49. Woogie63 says:

I watched the game on my iPad, I kept trying to zoom the screen on the Yama image, but that didn’t help.

The kid is small with boy strength, I don’t see him staying long at the pro camp.

50. digger50 says:

It I had to pick a defenceman to play tomorrow? Lagesson

A forward to play tomorrow? Gambardella with Polie a close second

51. digger50 says:

Question if anyone is still out there.

Gambardella has an NHLE of 39.5, anybody remember what was Foo’s NHLE?

52. Gerta Rauss says:

tcho,

Sorry for the delay-I’m in Edmonton this week visiting my dad and I’m his in house computer tech…hours and hours of Windows updates etc

Out of respect for our hosts wishes I didn’t post the link because Matty’s article was a couple hours old

It appeared to me the quotes were a little different than the Mckenzie interview on the weekend..Matty covered some of the same ground but the quotes appeared new to me. If not, he’s lifted the Mckenzie interview without any credit given to Mckenzie and left this reader with the impression he asked the questions/got the answers directly from Chiarelli-I could be wrong about this, it wouldn’t be the first time

digger50:
    Question if anyone is still out there.

Gambardella has an NHLE of 39.5,anybody remember what was Foo’s NHLE?

31.0

kgo:

After seeing him this past week, have you changed your prediction?

The post you linked to came right at the beginning of the RE process. My final RE and Paigin’s estimated GP for the coming season is in this post

55. SwedishPoster says:

I’ve only seen a little of the games but with regards to Paigin he looked like he was just going through the motions these first few games, he didn’t look like I have seen him. I’ll reserve judgement until he’s played some preseason games with the nhl squad, he’s an older prospect, he may be using these games to feel himself into the season a bit with his main focus being main camp. We’ll see but he needs to be better or he’ll struggle for ice time in Bako, I think he will be though.

Lagesson does look more agile than I remember from the glimpse I saw, will be fun to see him in the SHL this season, I plan on seeing him and Filip Berglund facing off on the 30th of september when their respective teams meet.

SwedishPoster:

57. Munny says:

Lowetide: I also think these early games take on huge meaning (not really, but they’re all we have) because it’s been so long, but soon we’ll get into the rhythm of the games and that will benefit Paigin. He lost his angle tonight, but the turnover by the forward (can’t remember who) left him exposed. Chances are he has more time on a more mature and structured team.

This.

We need to have a grain of salt scratching our eyes when we watch these prospect games. If the WJs are the Tournament of Small Sample Sizes, this is even worse with different context.

58. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50:
    It I had to pick a defenceman to play tomorrow? Lagesson

A forward to play tomorrow? Gambardella with Polie a close second

I was very impressed with Lagesson throughout. Calm plays defensively and a better skater and puck move than I anticipated. He’s a real prospect. I will look forward to the weekend reports on Willy.

I hope he’s not done with North America.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

SwedishPoster:

Part of never hopes to are right on Paigin as he was not good. A bigger part of me hopes you are wrong as any player in his group should be 100%?at all times. He has earned nothing in North America and should be looking to impress.

Based on prospects camp, he doesn’t deserve more than the split squad fame.

60. OriginalPouzar says:

That was Safin, unfortunately.

Let’s be homers and blame North America ice adjustment.

61. GMB3 says:

My old man told me Ostap Safin reminds him a bit of Mihknov so fat. That’s not a great comparison.

62. russ99 says:

Gret99zky:
    Gerta Rauss,

Interesting read from Dom Luszczyszyn on NHL Season Preview: Edmonton Oilers.He has them at 93 pts, 3rd in Pacific, and 19th overall.

Flames also come in at 93 pts, but 4th in Pacific, and 20th overall.

Very interesting analytical based projection.

LT, I’d love to hear your take on this method/madness.

Good article. I bit the bullet and subscribed for the year after looking at Bleacher Report’s crappy new app. I wish Athletic were in more cities, but Edmonton and my local Chicago teams along with the national writer stories are a good start. Maybe my subscription helps them do that.

I really like that he went in and looked at why the model pushed out those numbers when the model seemed to differ from what many expected.

I also really like that the words “suppressing shots” were used in a piece by an analytics guy.

63. OriginalPouzar says:

geowal:
    First cuts:

64. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3:

He indeed looked like he was floating around alot – maybe laziness.

I’ll give him some slack considering he’s just over to North America – hope the ice size adjustment doesn’t take too long.

65. geowal says:

OriginalPouzar: No surprises here – Fix-Wolansky looked pretty good last night against Nait/McKewan but he wasn’t realistically getting invited to main camp.

Yeah he seemed to have gotten a small push, played the 3 Penticton games too if remember correctly.